Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece Contemporary 2011  (Read 27586 times)

marcie

• Administrator
PBS Masterpiece Contemporary 2011
« on: October 30, 2011, 10:04:34 PM »

Masterpiece Contemporary 2011 welcomes Bill Nighy (The Lost Prince), Rachel Weisz, Michael Gambon (Emma, Cranford), Ralph Fiennes, Alan Rickman and Emma Thompson in two new programs, Page Eight and The Song of Lunch.  See the 2011 MASTERPIECE CONTEMPORARY schedule and episode descriptions.  Check your local listings.

NOW DISCUSSING

Framed

November 27, 2011 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
An eccentric Welsh village learns that London's National Gallery is storing its entire art collection in a nearby mine during the museum's renovations — leading to curious encounters between the village locals and the gallery's urbane, lovelorn curator. Trevor Eve (David Copperfield) and Eve Myles (Little Dorrit) star in this gentle comedy, based on Frank Cottrell Boyce's best-selling novel of the same name. ENCORE FROM LAST SEASON

PAST PROGRAMS

Song of Lunch

November 13, 2011 at 9pm

One 60-minute episode
A dramatisation of Christopher Reid's narrative poem, telling the story of a book editor who, 15 years after their break-up, meets his former love for a nostalgic lunch at the Soho restaurant they used to frequent. The production is unusual in featuring little spoken dialogue, the action instead being an enactment of incidents described in poetic monologue of the male character. Starring Alan Rickman & Emma Thompson.

Page Eight

November 6, 2011 at 9pm

One 120-minute episode
Sixty-something MI-5 agent Johnny Worricker has amassed an impressive art collection, an amicable collection of ex-wives, and a droll, unflappable relationship with the work he enjoys alongside his boss and best friend, MI5 chief Benedict Baron. But when Benedict brings to light damning evidence of British complicity with illegal American torture operations, it falls to Johnny to do the right thing.

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP and marcie

Frybabe

Re: PBS Masterpiece Contemporary 2011
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 11:18:44 PM »
Just saw the trailer for Page Eight. What a cast. It should be interesting.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 10:29:52 AM »
Yes, Page Eight has a great cast. It looks good.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 12:53:37 PM »
I'm looking forward to the episode tonight!

jeriron

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 05:05:18 PM »
Our PBS isn't showing it until 11:30. Good thing I can DVR it. They're showing a Lewis (repeat) at 9. Now that's dumb.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 07:31:30 PM »
That is too bad. I wonder  how many people watch TV at 11:30?

Frybabe

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 10:50:01 PM »
What an interesting development/ending. Liked it.

I am probably going to pass on next week's program. I like Alan Rickman, but the story line does not appeal to me.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 07:49:41 AM »
Just wondered how you all found Page 8?  it was on over here some months ago, and I loved it.  But then I would probably like anything with Bill Nighy in  ;D

I haven't seen the Song of Lunch.  I don't think it got great reviews here, though I would still like to see it - if only because Alan Rickman is another joy to behold.....

What are we going to do without Downton Abbey?   :'(

Rosemary

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 10:34:42 AM »
I enjoyed Page 8. At first, I was a bit confused in the beginning about the significance of information but later they spelled it out. Did the Bill Nighy character throw the secret document in the trash at the end?

Rosemary, you can re-live Downton Abbey when we get to see it in the U.S.  ;)

Frybabe

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 11:26:57 AM »
Did the Bill Nighy character throw the secret document in the trash at the end?

Yes!

I felt sorry for his daughter, who had hoped to reconcile with her dad.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 03:35:46 PM »
Maybe if/when the government changes to another Party, he can come back to England. Or someone else could leak the information about "who knew what" and then he wouldn't be in danger.

Dana

• ::
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 04:47:52 PM »
I fell asleep thru most of it (which has to say something!), then woke up and thought he was going to kill himself--decided later, must have thought that because he NEVER CRACKS A SMILE.  I hate that--not my idea of acting.

Saw the movie of Brideshead Revisited recently--with Emma Thompson--enjoyed it very much.  Finally got the message that it is all about Catholicism--never really struck me before as I remember....odd......

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 07:31:37 PM »
Yea, I understood every word!!  I really enjoyed it.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 10:58:45 PM »
I just finished watching Page Eight -- taped it last night, but was too sleepy to stay up and watch it all.  I liked it, but am not sure I got all the nuances.  SPOILER HERE -- Ralph W was Benedict's source? It was his place that Johnny photographed?

Johnny had me worried, carrying all that cash around in a plastic bag.  60 what for that painting? Sixty thousand?  

Part of the fun of watching a good show is exploring further some of the background that the writer throws in.  I had never heard of the artist Christopher Wood, but after looking for some other of his paintings, I think that like Johnny, I'd like him too.  That was a nice touch, him giving Nancy his other Wood.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 01:28:47 AM »
Pedln, my understanding is that some Congressman in the U.S. who flew a plane to the U.K. to meet with Benedict was the source. Benedict's wife (Johnny's former wife) told him about the visit from someone in a plane and Johnny found him online.

Yes, Johnny was taking pictures of the room of the Ralph Wilson, the young man who was spying on him (the son of Jill Tankard--the Judy Davis character).

I hadn't heard of Christopher Wood either. I like his paintings too. See some at http://www.oilpaintingsgallery.com/gallery/oil-paintings/list-Key-Wood,%20Christopher,%20England%201901%20to%201930-Type-Artist.asp

rosemarykaye

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2011, 03:39:04 AM »
Dana - have you seen the DVD of the original Brideshead TV series?  it was so much better than the more recent film with Emma Thompson.  And it comes in handy one hour chunks so you can watch a bit every night.

Rosemary

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2011, 10:28:37 AM »
Rosemary, yes, the original Brideshead was amazing, particularly the performances by Anthony Andrews and Jeremy Irons. I hadn't realized there was a newer one, with Emma Thompson. I've just put a hold on it from my library.

Dana

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2011, 12:06:39 PM »
Yes Rosemary, I did watch it, or some of it, when it was first on TV, but am thinking I might have rather missed the point (!)--I am going to put it on my list from Netflicks.  But I did read the books too, think there were 3, could be wrong, when a teenager, and LOVED them, but apparently didn't get the Catholic point then either (or have forgotten).  Well, I knew they were RC of-course but apparently dismissed its importance, certainly in the Emma Thompson version that comes across as the totally overriding issue.  I thought I might indulge in the books again , too. 

rosemarykaye

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2011, 12:33:23 PM »
Dana - I only watched it for the first time a couple of years ago - the Catholicism is, as you say, completely central, but I am quite sure that it would have passed me by if I had watched/read it any earlier.  The bit towards the end when Sebastian's father crosses himself on his deathbed would, I am sure, have entirely escaped me, ditto Charles's return to Brideshead and his visit to the chapel - which is of course hugely significant.    It has made me wonder how many other things I missed in books I read as a teenager - I would like to go back and read them all again, but also have my tottering TBR pile to consider!

So far as I am aware there is only one book.  Do let us know what you think of the two film versions - you too Marcie.  I thought the Emma Thompson one was far too long and just didn't have the panache of the TV series, but Anthony Andrews may be the true basis of that opinion!

Rosemary

Dana

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2011, 01:12:40 PM »
Well you are definitely right about Anthony Andrews!!  Only Emma T. stood out for me in the film.  Not the same in the TV series!!  Don't even remember who played that part--but who can forget AA!!

Isn't it surprising when you reread a book and  have a totally different viewpoint of it?  I do wonder the same as you--how much did I miss as a teen.

The series of Evelyn Waughs that I read at the same time was the Sword of Honour trilogy, just looked it up.  I think I'm about to be indulging in a Waugh-fest.  That should keep me going for a bit!!

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2011, 09:43:44 PM »
not having read the book I may be way off but I got the impression the painting held a message - that was where he was going and as she looked at the painting after he left she realized it so that our imagination could have the two of them together in love.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Dana

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2011, 10:06:09 PM »
Actually I got the same impression about the picture, Barb and my husb thought a sequel was on the cards with the manuscript in the waste bin.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2011, 10:48:26 PM »
Gee, that's interesting Barb and Dana. I didn't think about the painting being a clue to Johnny's location. I watched the ending of the show again online and took a screen shot of the painting. Does anyone recognize the location?  http://www.seniorlearn.org/bookclubs/masterpiece/contemporary_2011/page8photo.jpg

Also, when Johnny was at the airport he looked at the flight board. The two city names that were moving on the board were Stockholm and Buenos Aires. I don't know if those  are clues to where  he's going. Here's a screen shot of the airport board: http://www.seniorlearn.org/bookclubs/masterpiece/contemporary_2011/page8schedule.jpg

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2011, 10:53:07 PM »
If the painting is a clue I'd bet on Buenos Aires - fitting in that many from Europe have in the past hid out in Brazil or Argentina
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2011, 01:03:25 PM »
This is the one he sold for get-away money; now I'm trying to find the other in his collections. So many of his paintings were in Brittany.  I wonder how far and wide he traveled.

This is the painting that the Bill Nighy character had hanging in his flat.  It’s The Card Playersby Christopher Wood and was actually sold at Sothebys a few years back to a private bidder.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2011, 08:37:12 PM »
Thanks for posting that photo, Pedln.

Frybabe

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2011, 08:45:52 PM »
I was doing a search earlier today too, Pedln. Hope you have better luck than I did finding the other painting. Wood seems to have liked Cornwall as well as Brittany.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2011, 05:55:44 PM »
No more luck, Frybabe, but I'm glad to have made Wood's acquaintance because I really do like his work.  What would he be -- part of the Impressionist scene?  Post-impressionist?

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2011, 01:59:43 PM »
I looked for the painting too but couldn't find it. If it isn't actually a Christopher Wood, that would make it more likely, I think, that it's a clue.

I found a citation that says that Christopher Wood was a major artist in the "British modern movement of the 1920s." http://www.artdaily.com/index.asp?int_sec=2&int_new=50001

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2011, 02:03:08 PM »
Song of Lunch will be broadcast this Sunday. It's only and hour so I think I'll watch it, even though the subject matter doesn't sound compelling to me. I admire the acting of Alan Rickman and Emma Thompson.

nlhome

« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2011, 09:38:11 AM »
Oooh, Song of Lunch is conflicting with the Packer football game - will have to see it later.

CubFan

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2011, 10:10:35 AM »
Go Pack!!
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson

MaryPage

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2011, 10:22:35 PM »
I watched Emma Thompson and Alan Rickman on PBS's Masterpiece Contemporary tonight.  It was less than an hour long, and was perfection.  I believe the name of it was A SONG OF LUNCH - A POEM.  And it was a poem and the very best of acting and, sob, so unfortunately true to Life.

Gosh, but they were good.  No, Great!  They were great.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2011, 12:53:26 AM »
I agree MaryPage. I didn't expect to like the program but it was very well done and interesting.

salan

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2011, 05:58:28 PM »
I watched Song of Lunch and found it extremely boring.  I watched all of it because I love Emma Thompson & Rickman.  They are such good actors, but this program left me cold.  Ah well....
Sally

jeriron

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2011, 08:05:04 PM »
I'm so glad I wasn't the only one.  At least you saw it through to the end. I was so bored I went on my IPad and played solitaire.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2011, 10:44:29 PM »
I didn't care for it at all.  Watched 20 min. and then went back to a good book I had been reading.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2011, 08:06:43 AM »
It's on youtube. I watched part 2 of 4 yesterday when I saw the ad here and thought to do it justice I really need to see it all. I watched because Alan Rickman!! Emma Thompson! But I guess starting with Part 2 is not good, I could not figure out what was wrong with him?  Then I saw him on a British talk show also on youtube  and he had some of the same mannerisms in speech. I was having problems sorting out what was wrong with him.  So what I need to do is watch it from the beginning and then watch him again on the talk show and see if I can separate the man from the acting or if I've just gotten hold of two strange bits, because in other things he seems quite different.

I have a personal problem with voice overs or whatever you call the thoughts of the character voiced while the actual characters are trying to deal with  the situation. Remember that old show with Walter Winchell? I SO hated it. He supposedly voiced over what would happen to the people in the program: "Bill doesn't know it but..." I hated that, just hated it,  and this one seemed about as self destructive but the reviews are RAVING and I need to give it a better shot.

I am glad to see it here and to see the Newsline because everybody is talking about it and I hate to miss stuff ("Ginny always misses the newest thing, no matter what she does. She doesn't know it but this show will...")

That could drive you crazy.

Brideshead Revisited! Absolutely love it. Get the DVD, the new anniversary edition,  if you can with the outtakes and the actors talking about what they wanted to achieve. I was so sorry, in watching the bonus stuff, to learn  that "Boy" had died in real life, I thought he was marvelous in that piece. Jeremy something. They all seemed to love him, also the bit about which one, Andrews or Irons, was meant originally to play which part and why the director switched them. Somehow I can't see the reverse, I think it was a good decision.  The new version of Brideshead is so inaccurate to the book and absolutely  awful. The actors in the original one carried around their copies of  Waugh's Brideshead Revisited for inspiration.

Did you know those were Waugh's old "dormitory" rooms in the film?

:)

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2011, 10:40:44 AM »
There is an interesting review of SONG OF LUNCH at http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2010/oct/04/poetry-bbc-song-lunch

The poet, Christopher Reid, who wrote the poem which is dramatized is quoted as saying: "I wrote The Song Of Lunch after I'd finished A Scattering, largely a book about the death of my wife. I loved the scene in Ulysses where Joyce picks through the minutiae of a pub, and thought I could do the same for lunch. As I wrote it, it became clear I was rewriting the Orpheus legend, that it was a poem about death, about failing to bring anyone back to life."

Ginny, I don't know whether or not you will get a different impression if you watch the program from the beginning. I guess you have to be in the mood and enter the world of Rickman's character and find humor in his observations. The writing is quite good.

nlhome

« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2011, 07:36:19 PM »
Ok, are you saying I shouldn't waste my time watching it online? (The Packers won!)