Author Topic: Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin ~ Book Club Online  (Read 58483 times)

JoanK

• BooksDL
Re: Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin ~ Book Club Online
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2009, 11:39:48 PM »
The Book Club Online  is  the oldest  continuing book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome to join in.

Team of Rivals
by
Doris Kearns Goodwin

"More books about Abraham Lincoln line the shelves of libraries than about any other American. Can there be anything new to say about our 16th president? Surprisingly, the answer is yes. - ..... Doris Kearns Goodwin has written an elegant, incisive study of Lincoln......." - New York Times

The Team:
William H. Seward
Salmon P. Chase
Edward Bates
.........     Links:
NPR Review
Wilmot Proviso
Dred Scott Decision
Kansas-Nebraska Act
Fugitive Slave Law

March 8 -  Chapters 4-7
March 15 -Chapters 8-11
March 22 - Chapters 12-15
March 29 - Chapters 16-19
April 5 -      Chapters 20-23
April 12 -    Chapters 24 -26
To Consider in Chapters 4-7

1.  What compromises did each of the four men make with his beliefs in order to further his political career?

2.  Was the Civil War inevitable?  Can you imagine any way the disagreement over slavery could have been resolved peacefully?

3.  What were the strengths and weaknesses of each man as a potential presidential candidate?

4.  President Obama is very conscious of the heritage of Lincoln.  Do you see any parallels between the issues described in the book and those facing Obama now?

5.  Some of the anti-slavery faction believed that if slavery were confined to its existing boundaries, economic and historic forces would eventually cause it to disappear in the South.  Could this have happened?  How?

6.  The Northwest Ordinance of 1787; The Missouri Compromise (1820); The Wilmot Proviso; The Compromise of 1850; The Kansas-Nebraska Act; The Dred Scott Decision; The Lecompton Constitution.
These were milestones in the tug-of-war between slavery and anti-slavery factions.  What did each of them do?

7.  What were the political attitudes of the candidates’ wives?  Did they play any part in the campaign?

8.  How was Lincoln’s campaign for the presidential nomination more clever than those of his rivals?

9.  What effect did Lincoln’s Cooper Union speech have?

Discussion Leaders:
Ella & PatH

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2009, 11:48:02 PM »
LUCKY: good points about the role of women. Women like Seward's wife, who managed to have a large role in her husband's decisions are even more impressive.

I'm impressed with how close these busy ambitious men were to their wives, and how strong thier feelings toward them seem to be. I wonder if that is true today.

On serfs: I read a very interesting article comparing Russian serfdom to American slavery. Their legal situation was very similiar: serfs did belong to indeviduals, just as slaves did. They could be bought and sold, done with whatever the master wished, their children were also serfs. House serfs were treated like slaves: could be beaten or treated well, as the master chose.

The difference lay in the system of agriculture.Serfs were owned by a few large landowners, who usually owned thousands (few American slaveholders owned even 100). These were absentee landowners. The serfs lived in villages where they were in effect independent, with their own mayors, officials, etc. Part of their time was spent on the landowners land, and part on their own. Some serfs even got rich and owned serfs of their own. While there was an overseer, he couldn't mistreat the serfs as slaves were mistreated because he was so outnumbered.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2009, 10:33:53 AM »
WOW!  WHAT GREAT POSTS!

It just goes to prove that when you get people who love to read together and their interests are wide-ranging and full of ideas, you learn so much!

We could go on and on about marriage, religion, politics, women, pregnancy!

Wonderful.  Thank you all.

Now we should go back to the book:

THE MISSOURI COMPROMISE AND THE BEGINNING OF THE CIVIL WAR

1820!  (pg. 61)  "For Southerners invested in slave labor, Northern opposition to Missouri's admission as a slave state posed a serious threat to their way of life.  At the height of the struggle, Southern leaders declared their intent to secede from the Union; many Northerners seemed willing to let them go."

What a time to be alive for a politician.  Take your position, run for office, make a difference and many did.  Stephens and Lincoln started their famous debates; Bates became governor of Missouri, the Republican and Democratic parties emerged; the beginning of national conventions and it is fair to say that"politics was the important and engrossing business of the country."

As it is now, in my opinion. 

Lincoln attended the River and Harbor Convention in Chicago in 1840 and was described in Horace Greeley's paper, the New Yorker (later the powerful New York Tribune) as a "a tall specimen of an Illinoisian, just elected to Congress from the only Whig District in the State.  It was Lincoln's first mention in a paper of national repute."

I love to read sentences like that last one.  Today Lincoln is the subject of the most published books in America. 

What are your thought on the chapter titled "THE LURE OF POLITICS."

Does it strike you that becoming a lawyer is the first step into successful politics?  Obviously our new young president believes that also.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2009, 06:48:16 PM »
This is PatH talking from JoanK's computer.

?[/color] And i agree w/ Lincoln that we feel good about ourselves if others seem to approve of the things we say and do.

"Lincoln already possessed the lifelong dream....the desire to prove himself worthy, to be held in great regard, to win the veneration and respect of his fellow citizens."  Goodwin, p 87

"Ideas of a person's worth are tied to the way others perceive him."

"Unable to find comfort in...afterlife in heaven, he found consolation that in the memories of others some part of us remains alive" p 100.

Lincoln's desire for fame, present and future, was his big motivation, ruling his whole public life.

His rivals, too had this particular variety of ambition, for power, and importance and the fame of public life.

My personal philosophy is quite different.  Of course the admiration of others makes you feel good, but the real measure of your worth is whether you yourself feel you have done a reasonable job of living according to your standards.  Maybe that's why I'm not a politician.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2009, 08:27:26 PM »
I hear you PAT, from Joan's computer!  And I am with you and that is why I am not a politician!

Having more time this evening to comment on everyone’s posts I do want thank everyone  of you for your interest, truly! 

JONATHAN stated:

“I believe Lincoln did call on God when it suited his purpose, or assuaged an inner demon, but by and large he was a constitutionalist, and committed as well to the principles enunciated in the declaration of independence.”

Carl Sandberg tells this story about Lincoln after he attended a revival meeting wherein the Rev. Cartwright asked the following:

"Mr. Lincoln, you have not expressed an interest in going to either heaven or hell. May I enquire as to where you do plan to go?" Lincoln replied: "I did not come here with the idea of being singled out, but since you ask, I will reply with equal candor. I intend to go to Congress." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham_Lincoln_and_religion)

Thanks, JONATHAN, I think you are right on the money!

JEAN, your knowledge of the history of that period is wonderful; being a history teacher you add much to our conversation.  Thank you!   Speaking of newspapers as you said “newspapers were available in the cities, rural people probably saw them a few weeks or months later. People got news by frequenting the taverns or inns were traveling people stopped and where newspapers and letters were often read aloud.

And the newspapers even traveled overseas. 

Our book speaks of Seward traveling in Europe for three months and was able to read news of America in library reading rooms.  He said of his trip that:

“He realized, in visiting the old, oppressed, suffering Europe,  the fearful responsibility of the American people to the nations of the whole earth, to carry successfully through the experiment….that men are capable of self government.”

We are still attempting that and failing in areas, I believe!

MARJIFAY, get the book, I’ll get it to, it sounds very good.  What a brave man he was to face down that mob that attacked the owner of a shop  printing an abolitionist a weekly newspaper.  He faced it alone and the mob backed off and it profoundly changed his life; changed his future actually, so Goodwin says. (pg.109)

I wonder if there are books about Seward and Bates, equally as interesting!  I’ll look them up!  That you for that post!

LUCKY, yes, and aren’t we lucky, as you say, to live in a time when child prevention methods and healthy children are possible.  I remember my grandmother telling me that there were 13 children in her family and when I asked how they all managed, she told me that they lived on a farm and everyone worked very hard.  They needed child labor on the farm, self-sufficient farms, and the children were lucky to get through the sixth grade.  We need to be reminded of our foremothers now and then and thank you!

I watched a very good video entitled IRON-JAWED ANGELS, starring Hillary Swank, who portrayed the women’s movement, particularly Alice Paul. 

Have you seen it?  Very good and I think Swank is a great actress.

HELLO JOAN!  I don’t know much about those serfs, I think most of us have read or heard references to them throughout history, but I didn’t know that “Serfs were owned by a few large landowners, who usually owned thousands”    Heavens!  And the serfs lived in cottages on the land?  Those large castles in Europe were built by serfs, I suppose?  Did they get a share of the crops? 

Thanks for that bit of history; we will soon get into the discussion of slavery issues that almost burst this country apart.  The tumult of those times!  I am sure there are innumerable books written about this period of American history, and, of course, all schools and universities study it.  This book is just a minor part of the whole period.  One wonders if these “rivals” of Lincoln, or Lincoln himself, had any idea of what lay ahead of them!

mabel1015j

« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2009, 10:44:27 PM »
Are we at the point in the book of talking about the Kansas-Nebraska Act yet?.........i'll wait to comment until i get your answer. I listened to that part today on the dvd.

Ella - I met Alice Paul - the REAL Alice Paul  - here in a Moorestown, NJ Quaker nursing home on her 92 nd birthday the year before she died in 1977. She was a fascinating woman. In 1985, which was her centennial year, a small group of us started the Alice Paul Centennial Foundation and had a dinner that honored some women who were "first" - one was Sally Ride who had just come back from space. We tho't we might buy a tombstone for her grave w/ the money that we made from the dinner at which we had over 250 people. ......... long and short of it, we are still in existence, have bought her childhood home and have turned it into an institute to teach leadership skills to women and girls, and educates people about AP and women's history in general. See www.alicepaul.org ............what a ride that has been......................jean

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2009, 09:39:02 AM »
JEAN, that's wonderful!!!  PAULSDALE!

It just shows what women can do when they work together.  You are just amazing, all of you.  THANK YOU FOR SHARING THAT

I must repeat it, take a look!

www.alicepaul.org

Jonathan

« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2009, 12:05:43 PM »
'One wonders if these “rivals” of Lincoln, or Lincoln himself, had any idea of what lay ahead of them!' Ella, in post 44.

My thoughts exactly, and my intended  reply to your question in an earlier post:

'What are your thoughts on the chapter titled, The Lure of Politics? post 42

The rivals all seemed to go into politics in such a light-hearted way, considering the cataclysmic political events which lay ahead. Bates suddenly the center of attraction again at the Rivers and Harbors convention and glorying in it. Seward bored with  practicing law. Chase chasing fame and glory, with Lincoln right behind him.

Ah, American politics. Was it the War of Independence which brought this unique aspect of human nature into existence? That was the first great stimulis catalyst. And I don't think anyone not born into the mystic of the home of the brave and the land of the free can truly understand and feel the events of American history. But Goodwin's quote from Alexis de Tocqueville at the beginning of the chapter is very apt.

Goodwin is part of a trend among recent historians in emphasizing the politics of the Civil War. And that makes it very interesting indeed. I'm beginning to see the whole thing in a different light. Sure, I've always had a number of books around, but almost exclusively on the military aspect of the war. Sherman's Marching Through Georgia, for example. Or Samuel Carter's The Siege of Atlanta, 1864. Or Michael Shaara's The Killer Angels, about the four bloody days of Gettysburg.

Well, last night I watched the last two segments of  David Grubin's  six-part movie, Abraham and Mary Lincoln: A House Divided. Both national and domestic of course. What a moving drama. Particularly moving was hearing it said that Lincoln spent a lot of time reading his bible as the  historical events reached their denouement. Does all politics end in resigntion to divine will? Do politicians finally despair, and, down on their knees, ask, What have we wrought? When I took the videos from the library shelf I noticed next to them a new book with the provocative title: Did Lincoln and the Republican Party Create the Civil War, by Robert P. Broadwater.

Much more to say, but I'm being called to lunch.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2009, 07:53:53 AM »
Jean, the Kansas-Nebraska Act is in Chapter 5, which comes in the next section.  I admire your ability to keep track of things with an audiobook.  I can't do that.

This brings up a question: are we going at the right speed?  Some of you are way ahead and some of you had trouble getting the book and haven't caught up yet, so maybe it averages out, but the schedule is flexible.  What do you think?

The next section moves more quickly and is easier to read than the first.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2009, 11:14:39 AM »
WHERE IS EVERYONE?

HAS SPRING COME AND YOU ARE OUTSIDE WORKING?  IT'S NOT DANDELION TIME YET SO YOU CAN'T BE OUT DIGGING THEM  FOR SUPPER? 

Do you know I remember doing that as a child; the depression years?  We ate them, as I remember, with lots of vinegar and they were chewey.  I can't remember if I liked them or not.

ARE YOU STILL INTERESTED IN THE BOOK?
As Pat said, perhaps we are either going too slow or too fast, which is it?

Do let us know!

PLUNDER AND CONQUEST is the chapter for tomorrow, aptly named -  a "stimulis catalyst" as JONATHAN would have called it.   Has America ever done anything similar before or since?

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2009, 11:21:10 AM »
JONATHAN told us about a book intimating that Lincoln and the Republican Party started the Civil War.  Interesting and the book could be right!

What do you think started it? 

LURKERS!  THOSE WHO DON'T WANT TO READ THE BOOK, POST YOUR OPINIONS!

ALL OPINIONS WELCOME.  WE ARE AN OPEN FORUM!

kidsal

• Howdy from Rock Springs, WY
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2009, 12:54:31 PM »
I'm reading, I'm reading!

One surprise in the reading was the strong bonding between men.  They formed almost intimate friendships.  Perhaps because at that time there weren't too many men with their education so they naturally formed closer relationships.

Have to be married to be a politician?  Probably.  We have had some bachelors run for president but apparently there is some suspicion as to why they haven't conformed to the norm.  It is the same now with the question about religion.  Although we have freedom of religion, it is doubtful that for the immediate future anyone could be president without having a Christian faith even though some of our first presidents did not.

mabel1015j

« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2009, 02:09:34 PM »
Jonathan - thanks for the reminder about the Abraham and Mary movie. I'm going to look for that at the library.

We've gotten past the idea that a politician couldn't have been divorced and still be an  upstanding, moral person - of course, we've gotten past many morals issues of married politicians, haven't we? - it is interesting that only James Buchanan had never been married when he became president, and it is likely that many people who voted for him didn't even know that. There are some who have suggested that JB was gay. Some gay politicinas have succeeded and i think that will become less and less of a problem, but still be a major hurdle for a while yet................on the other hand, i didn't expect to see an African-American president in my life-time. Our younger population may bring more changes than we expect. ........................ Maybe we know TOO much about our politicians lives that has nothing to do w/ how good a leader they will be?...................jean

lucky

« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2009, 07:52:29 PM »
I believe that most of us would want any of these four men to represent us.  They were decent, upstanding men committed to the laws of morality and decency.  They had the courage of their convictions, which was much easier to have in those days than it is today.  Today politicans answer to lobbyists, have pressure put on them by members of their own party, lie, cheat, steal and are more interested in lining their own pockets than looking out for their constituents. In New York we had a governor, Eliot Spitzer who was forced to resign in disgrace because of his proclivity for call girls.  If I am not mistaken he used public funds to fly to Washington where the ladies of his choice were located for these assignations.  We have had a president involved in a nasty sex scandal.  We have had newly appointed cabinet members who conveniently forgot to pay their income taxes.  If we as private citizens "forgot" we would be fined or arrested.  But these public servants get a slap on the wrist.  Under Harding's administration we had the Tea Pot Dome scandal whereby Harding's secretary of the Interior took bribes and leased oil fields controlled by the navy allowing oil magnates to control the nations' oil reserves.
These four men in the book stood fast in their concept of justice even if it meant going against prevailing opinion jeopardizing their political careers, or putting their life at risk.  Chase prevented a frenzied mob from tar and feathering the publisher of an anti-slavery newspaper.  A year later he argued against returning a slave who had taken refuge in Cincinnati's black community  He argued against the Fugitive Slave Law of 1793.  He opposed laws that denied free black children public school education while requiring their parents to pay school taxes.
Seward, who became governor of New York in the mid 1800's earned the enmity of the nativist Protestants by welcoming Irish and Catholic immigrants.  He especially earned the ire of the nativists by proposing school legislation that would be more welcome to Catholic children.  As a result of the  curriculum parents were reluctant to send their children to school.  He wanted to divert some of the public school money to support parochial schools where Catholic children could receive instruction from Catholic teachers.  He was accused of being "in league with the pope."  The nativists never forgave him.

Lincoln likened his politics to an "old woman's dance"- short and sweet.  He stood for three simple ideas, a national bank, a protective tariff, and a system for internal improvements.  Seward and Bates spoke of improving waterways.  As a state legislator Lincoln could bring about improvements, of roads, rivers and harbors and provide work for unemployed men in times of panics or downturns.  I believe Jackson also funded work projects.  And yet when Roosevelt came out with such plans for unemployment during the Great Depression there was a hue and cry.  Lincoln's ambition was to be the "Dewitt Clinton of Illinois."  Clinton had opened opportunities for New Yorkers and left a permanent imprint on his state when he persuaded the legislature to support the Erie Canal project.  In Lincoln's Illinois, which had a large number of Southerners by birth slaves were viewed as property.  The fugitive slave provision in the Constitution viewed slaves as property and as such escaped slaves had to be returned to their rightful owner.  However Lincoln was anti-slavery and made no bones about it.  "The institution of slavery is founded on both justice and bad policy...if slavery is not wrong, nothing is wrong." These men were  what I would want as a politician.  They had integrity, compassion and concern for their constituents.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2009, 08:41:12 PM »
Right on, Lucky!  That's a great summary.  They were all good and moral men.  I particularly like the picture of the tall, massive Chase, normally hesitant in his dealings with men, singlehandedly facing down a mob at the door of Franklin Hotel.  The experience was crucial for Chase, too, focusing his antislavery feelings.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2009, 09:18:29 AM »
NEW QUESTIONS WILL BE PUT IN THE HEADING THIS MORNING FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION!

I'm going to be away for most of the day today, but may be back this evening.  Did everybody remember to reset their clocks?

Just one brief comment:  On page 120 , third paragraph near the bottom of the page, there is this:

"Announcing that Mexico had fired upon American soils on American soil, Polk called on Congress not to declare war but to recognize that a state of war already existed."

This surely is unique!!!!

War with Mexico began and our Goodwin says the American people "regarded the war as a 'romantic venture in a distant and exotic land.'

300,000 men volunteered to fight!

Lincoln was a Congressman and, as such, voted with others on a resolution that the war had been unconstitutional, but also stated that he had never voted against sending supplies to the soldiers.

I cannot find it in my book at the moment but out of this war came a number of new states in America.  Is it any wonder that today we still have troubles with Mexico?

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2009, 09:26:39 AM »
Speaking of declaring war, put this into Google and you may (or may not) be surprised. 

"President Bush and Declaration of war with Iraq."

Jonathan

« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2009, 12:16:01 PM »
Ella and Pat ask, are we still interested in the book, are we going too slow or too fast?

Kidsal, jean, and lucky leave no doubt about their enthusiasm in their subsequent posts. I would like to add mine. The pace is just right for me. I'm totally engrossed in the subject matter. The great themes. The strong characters. The high stakes. And I'm intrigued by how Goodwin goes about crafting a retelling of this unique chapter in a nation's history. A War and Peace, American-style. Should we say War and Politics? That's the part that fascinates me. I would recommend the book to the rest of the world as an insight into what America is all about.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2009, 12:19:25 PM »
The new questions for chapters 4-7 are up in the heading.

Remember, WE CAN STILL DISCUSS CHAPTERS 1-3.  There's plenty left to say, and there's no reason we can't have more than one conversation at a time.  The old questions are still at the top of page 1.

mabel1015j

« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2009, 01:22:21 PM »
I recently read two Don Coldsmith novels. The first one was "Tallgrass." It was about the Missouri/Kansas territories around the 1830's. In a second follow-up novel titled "South Wind" he talks about how difficult it was to live in Kansas and Iowa in the 1850's. On meeting strangers it was impossible to know whether they were for or against slavery and saying the wrong thing could start a fight, or worse yet, get your house attacked and your family murdered. It was a very tense time. The family moved from Kansas to Iowa hoping to be safer................i don't think that the Civil War could have been avoided. There were too many economic factors for slave-owners and over the decades people had hardened their opinion/emotions on both sides.

Question #4 re: Lincoln and Obams - unfortunately it looks like Pres Obama may have almost as big a problem - of keeping the country operating - as Lincoln, and everyday it looks more so. ................... people's emotions will become more and more a factor in their behaviors as they get more and more scared about what might happen. ...................... jean

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2009, 09:00:19 PM »
Q 4. Parallels between Obama and Lincoln:

Some of them are obvious, besides the team that is the subject of the book. His ability to deal with those of differing opinions. His ability at oratory. In spite of the fact that we think of Lincoln as a tortured man, one of his contempraries commented on Lincolns air of calm and certainty.  I was startled when I learned of Lincoln's emphasis in Congress on repairing and developing infrastructure, and recognize that influence in Obama.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2009, 09:46:25 AM »
LUCKY, thank you for your comments.  Gosh, I must quote a couple:

"These four men in the book stood fast in their concept of justice even if it meant going against prevailing opinion jeopardizing their political careers, or putting their life at risk.  They were decent, upstanding men committed to the laws of morality and decency.

That good, huh!  Politicians can be that good?  I'm too cynical, I guess!  But how nice to believe!   I think Goodwin is a bit quick to write "good" into some of the actions of the politicians of this period.  Other books would be more critical.

Thanks, JONATHAN, for that vote of confidence.  I, too, think the book is fascinating, a glimpse into the world of poliltics in 1800, Lincoln's world.  A conflicting period in American history. 

I agree with you, JEAN, that the Civil War could not have been avoided.  Somewhere in these chapters states started seceding from the Union, how could that have been avoided?   Jefferson was the principal advocate of states' rights and what problems we have had, as a country, because of such ideas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/States'_rights)!

As I understand it, because of the war with Mexico and all those new territories that America "plundered, " the Wilmot Proviso (see link in heading) became the latest confllict between the states.  It festered and festered.

Seward lived in a state that was more liberal than Lincoln's state of Illinois and, thus, he could become fiery in his speeches promoting the black vote, black presence on juries and black officeholding, while Lincoln was maintaining his opinion that such would never be the norm. 

Here we see the influence that their consitutuents have upon politicians and how they woo their favor.  See Lincoln's Cooper Union Speech that has been criticized harshly over the years.

On page 134 we read of Chase's pursuit of a career in his state legislature that was suspicious and haunted him for years. 

Of all of them, and I know very little about their political campaigns other than what we have read in book,  Bates of Missouri seems the most honest.

JEAN, and JOAN both mentioned the resemblance in the country's problems that Lincoln faced also. 

How history repeats itself!

Keeping the country operating, repairing infrasture!

I am amused when I read this statement:

"The principal weapon of political combatants (1850) was the speech.  A gift for oratory was the key to success in politics."

What has changed???

WHAT ARE YOUR OPINIONS?

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2009, 03:49:53 PM »
Question 2. Was the Civil War inevitable? I think it was. But I heard a talk the other day by someone (sorry, I forget his name) who studied the emancipation of slaves in the rest of the Americas. I hadn't known that in the same period, the same slavery question was being struggled with all over the Carabean, Central, and South America.

In most cases, it was acheived peacably, by compensating the slave-owners (i.e. buying their slaves from them). Here is another parallel with today: we are forced to solve a problem by giving money to the people who caused the problem.

Just as it makes us furious today, it made the Northerners furious when Lincoln proposed it. The difference was, the Southerners rejected it as well. I think the difference between the US and these other countries is that in other countries the slaveowners knmew they were a minority and couldn't win, while the US Southerners thought they could.

What do you all think?

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2009, 10:10:13 PM »
Nice points. JoanK.  It would be interesting to know the numbers--if the percentage of slaves was as high in those countries as in the US.

"I think the difference between the US and these other countries is that in other countries the slaveowners knew they were a minority and couldn't win, while the US Southerners thought they could."

Lincoln, speaking to Kentuckians in Cincinnati, said:
"Will you make war upon us and kill us all?  Why, gentlemen, I think you are as gallant and as brave men as live:that you can fight as bravely in a good cause, man for man, as any other people living...but, man for man, you are  not better than we are, and there are not so many of you as there are of us.  You will never make much of a hand at whipping us....being inferior in numbers, you will make nothing by attempting to master us"  (Goodwin, p. 225)

too bad nobody listened.

lucky

« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2009, 12:34:05 PM »
A love/hate relationship between Mexican - Americans and tueh United States has existed since the Mexican American war.  There is the feeling that the territory was stolen and in truth one must say that it was.  Of course all this was done under the guise of patriotism.  The meddling of the United States in the affairs of Mexico, particularly under the administration of Wilson earned the enmity of the people and perhaps the amused gratitude of the canine population as "Wilson" became a popular name for dogs. 

lucky

« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2009, 12:40:34 PM »
I was cut off and so I am continuing my post.  The Mexican American War was the first majopr conflict driven by the idea of "
Manifest Destiny", the belief that America had a God given right, or destiny to expand the country's borders.  The war had two basic causes.  First, the desire of teh U.S. to expand across the North AMerican continent to the Pacitic Ocean caused conflict with all of tis neighbors' from the British in Canada and Oregon to the Mexicans in the southwest.  By the time President Polk came to office in 1845 an idea called "Manifest Destiny" had taken root among the American people, and the new occupant of the White HOuse was a firm believer in the idea of expansion.  The belief that the united States basically had a God given right to occupy and "civilize" the whole ocntinent gained favor as more and more Americans settled the western lands.  It did not necessarliy mean violent expansion.  In both 1835 and 1845 the United States offered to purchase California from Mexico, for 5 million and 25 million dollars respectively.  The Mexican government refused the opportunity to sell half of its country to Mexico's most dangeorus neighbor.

lucky

« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2009, 12:44:12 PM »
The computer keeps throwing me off.  I apologize for typos but because something has gone wrong here I have not been able to make corrections.  I shall try to continue.

lucky

« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2009, 12:59:03 PM »
It would appear that Mexican-Americans have a love/hate relationship with the United States because of the Mexican American war.  There is the feeling that the territory was stolen and  in truth one must say that it was.  Of course all this was done under the guise of patriotism.  The meddling of the United States in the affairs of Mexico, particularly under the administration of Wilson earned the enmity of the people and perhaps the amused gratitude of the canine population as “Wilson” became a popular name for dogs.  This I found to be very funny.
   The Mexican American War was the first major conflict driven by the idea of “Manifest Destiny”, the belief that America had a God given right, or destiny, to expand the country’s borders.  The war had two basic causes.  First, the desire of the U.S. to expand across the North American continent to the Pacific Ocean caused conflict with all of its neighbors’ from the British in Canada and Oregon to the Mexicans in the southwest.  By the time President Polk came to office in l845 an idea called “Manifest Destiny” had taken root among the American people, and the new occupant of the White House was a firm believer in the idea of expansion.  The belief that the United States basically had a God given right to occupy and “civilize” the whole continent gained favor as more and more Americans settled the western lands.  It did  not necessarily mean violent expansion.  In both l835 and l845 the United States offered to purchase California from Mexico, for $5 million and $25 million, respectively. The Mexican government refused the opportunity to sell half of its country to Mexico’s most dangerous neighbor.
   The second basic cause of the war was the Texas War of Independence and the subsequent annexation of that area to the United States.  Not all American westward migration was unwelcome.  In the l820’s and l830’s Mexico, newly independent from Spain, needed settlers in the under-populated northern parts of the country. An invitation was issued for people who would take an oath of allegiance of Mexico and convert to  Catholicism, the state region.  Thousand of Americans took up the offer and moved, often with slaves to the Mexican province of Texas.  Soon however many of the new “Texicans” or Texians” were unhappy with the way the government in Mexico City tried to run the province.  In l835 Texas revolted, and after several bloody battles, the Mexican President, Santa Anna, was forced  to sign the Treaty of Velasco in l836.  This treaty gave Texas its independence, but many Mexicans refused to accept the legality of this document.  There were frequent border conflicts between Mexico and the United States.  Many in the United States sympathized with the U. S. born Texans in this conflict.  Because of the savage frontier fighting, the American public developed as very negative stereotype against the Mexican people and government.  Because of the continued hostilities with Mexico, Texas decided to join the United States and on July 4, l845, the annexation gained approval from the U. S. Congress.  Mexico was not happy with the province becoming an American state, and the border conflict now became a major international issue.  Texas, and now the United States, claimed the border at the Rio Grande River.  Mexico claimed territory as far north as the Nueces River.  Both nation sent troops to enforce the competing claims and a tense standoff followed. By l846 the war had begun.
   In l848 the Treaty of Guadeloupe Hidalgo was signed.  It called for the annexation of the northern areas of Mexico to the United States.  In return, the U. S. agreed to pay $15 million to Mexico as compensation for the seized territory.  The United States acquired the northern half of Mexico. This area later became the states of California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico and Utah. Relations between the United State sand Mexico remained tense for many decades  with several military encounters along the border.  For the United States the war provided a training ground for the men who would lead the Northern and southern armies in the upcoming American Civil War.
   One interesting aspect of the war involves the fate of U. S. Army deserters of Irish origin who joined the Mexican Army as the Saint Patrick’s Battalion.  This group of Catholic Irish immigrants rebelled at the abusive treatment by Protestant, American born officers and at the treatment of the Catholic Mexican population by the U. S. Army.  Catholics at the time were an unwelcome minority and the Irish were an unwelcome ethnic group.  In September l847 the U. S. Army hanged sixteen surviving members of the Saint Patrick’s Brigade as traitors.  To this day they are considered heroes in Mexico.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2009, 02:36:15 PM »
Lucky, that's a great summary.  It's particularly helpful because Goodwin says almost nothing about the war or the conflict leading up to it.  This helps put the little she does say in context; I can see both why some people thought it was wrong and why there was so much popular enthusiasm for it.

I can't wish now that our country had different boundaries, but I'm glad I don't have to defend the way we got there.

mabel1015j

« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2009, 02:45:56 PM »
Interesting, how people make an idea "God's decision" when they want to justify something w/out thinking about it too much. "Manifest" destiny!! For the last 1000 years Europeans/Christians (western civilization) and their descendents have tho't they had all the RIGHT answers about society. Have we continued that assumption and just now call it "democratization?" We will bring democracy to everyone! We are soooo superior and we should bring our superiority to everyone, whether they want it or not! Or whether the society is ready for it or not - and then, we get upset when they don't elect the people we want them to elect - think Gaza!..............democracy is only the right idea when it gives us the "right" solutions. Democracy is a radical political theory, the people get to speak - and sometimes are out of control! TIC

On the other hand, thruout the last 150 years we have been upset when "too many" of the "wrong" people decide they want to come to the U.S. and have some of what we have! Are we a confused and complex society? Makes us and our history very interesting.

One of the reasons the Civil War was inevitable and slavery was not going to disappear was because of the territoriy that opened up for cultivation and therefore slavery after the Mex/Am'n war. If we had stayed a country primarily to the east of the Mississippi, having slaves may have become less appealing, but w/ the opportunity to own LARGE areas of land, needing a large labor force made the idea of using slaves very profitable and appealing. That is one of the great "what if.......?" questions in history.

There was also the question of  political control in the new territories. Were we going to have more slave-states, or more non-slave-states in our federal gov't? The idea of control became even bigger than the idea of slavery itself. I'm sure you all had discussions in your high school history classes about "states rights." You may have even been taught -especially if you were in a southern state - that the Civil War was all about states rights. So, the spin was that the war is about the states vs the federal gov't - not about that unspeakable issue of slavery.

I'm sounding very cynical in this post, but in actuality, their was a lot of "spin" in our history and whether we got it at the time, or not, their was a lot of spin in the history we were taught, especially in our public school teachings...............

(Are you reading about the presidential convention yet?)...............................jean

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2009, 04:44:59 PM »
The description of the Mexican war was very interesting! Having lived most of my life on the Eastern seaboard, I think of American history (and the Civil War) in terms of what happened there. Moving to California, I get a completely different history of Spanish exploration, 49ers etc. Now I realize that Texas had another history that I was unfamiliar with. What a large, complex, and interesting country we have.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2009, 05:35:54 PM »

There was also the question of  political control in the new territories. Were we going to have more slave-states, or more non-slave-states in our federal gov't? The idea of control became even bigger than the idea of slavery itself. I'm sure you all had discussions in your high school history classes about "states rights." You may have even been taught -especially if you were in a southern state - that the Civil War was all about states rights. So, the spin was that the war is about the states vs the federal gov't - not about that unspeakable issue of slavery.

(Are you reading about the presidential convention yet?)...............................jean

Yes, you can say the war was about states rights, but would states rights have been such an issue except for the slavery question?

This week's section took us up to the eve of the convention.  Next week in Chapter 8 we'll go to Chicago, and continue up to the eve of the Inauguration at the end of Chapter 11.

mabel1015j

« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2009, 07:51:43 PM »
Thanks Pat, my audio book doesn't tell me which chapter i'm on...............

Have you seen the two Lincoln news items today? Some one found a picture in a Grant scrapebook that they think is L in front of the White House, if so it's the last picture taken of him before the assassination.............also, L had a watch that has been carefully opened by a jeweler because it supposedly had a msg in it from the maker of the watch about the Civil War and sure enough, there it was..........jean

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2009, 10:44:35 AM »
JONATHAN commented a post or so ago that the subject of our discussion should be “WAR AND POLITICS.”  Yes, Yes.  This book is about politicians and their arguments, lives, and loves.  What fascinating chapters these three are and we look deeper into the hearts of our four leading men as they grapple with the problems of their day.

JOAN, what an interesting answer you gave to the question of  the inevitability of the Civil War.  Thank you.  Gives me something to think about all day.  And also the parallel between the slaveholders and the bank officials, albeit the difference in my opinion being that the slaveholders needed their slaves for economic reasons, whereas the banks were just greedy.  Am I wrong?   It has been speculated by many that the economy that demanded slavery would in time disintegrate and the whole ugly business would disappear.  Machinery, for one thing, would in time replace manpower and the upkeep of the slaves was forever a burden on their owners.

There are other economic forces at work that in time would prove that slavery was a business that would disappear without a war, but at the moment I cannot think of them.

WHO CAN TELL US OTHER REASONS?

HELLO, PAT!  What gave the Southerners such confidence?   This book is about Northern men, Northern politicians and gives us scant insight into the southern Congressmen, the politicians of the South, the newspapers there, the attitudes.  Perhaps we should read and discuss a book about the Confederate States and their leaders.  Perhaps someone has? 

Do tell us!

Keep talking LUCKY!!  What  you say is so VERY INTERESTING!  Do you think that if Mexico had not involved religion into their citizenship the outcome might have been different?   Today, Article I of the Constitution of Mexico states” 

“This article states that every individual in Mexico (official name, Estados Unidos Mexicanos or United Mexican States) has the rights that the Constitution gives. These rights cannot be denied and they cannot be suspended. Slavery is illegal in Mexico; any slaves from abroad who enter national territory will, by this mere act, be freed and given the full protection of the law. All types of discrimination whether it be for ethnic origin, national origin, gender, age, different capacities, social condition, health condition, religion, opinions, preferences, or civil state or any other which attacks human dignity and has as an objective to destroy the rights and liberties of the people are forbidden.”

--------------------------------------------------

It all provided so much material for many movies and documentaries .  I have seen so many over the years.  I wish our friend, HAROLD, could be with us but for health reasons he is at the moment unable to join us.  He lives in Texas and knows his history of the territory very well!

JEAN, I sense the same -  ”We are soooo superior and we should bring our superiority to everyone, whether they want it or not!”   Can we stop this attitude?  We hear that other nations are beginning, or do, regard us suspiciously, is this why?

No, I never was taught that the Civil War was about “states rights” possibly because I have always lived in the North?  I do know I had an excellent history teacher in high school that has always been the motivation for my love of the subject.  When studying the Civil War she divided the class into halves, the North and the South, and we debated the issues.  We were graded on our answers we gave to the questions she asked each side.  I was also a member of the debate team which helped!

Wouldn’t it be interesting to questions students today in high schools from both northern and southern high schools!

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2009, 11:09:11 AM »
Hello JEAN.  I didn't know of the "watch" that has been discovered, but I read of the photo of Lincoln.  So many descriptions of Lincoln!  A young patent attorney met him for the first time: "tall, rawly boned, ungainly back woodsman, with coarse, ill-fitting clothing, his trousers hardly reaching his andles, holding in his hands a blue cotton unbrella with a ball on the handle." (pg.174)

And Stanton, whom Lincoln named Secretary of War when he became president, called him a "long armed Ape who does not know any thing and can do you no good."

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2009, 11:11:14 AM »
Every description you read of Lincoln describes him in coarse and ill-fitting clothes.  Why didn't Mary, who spent hundreds of dollars on her own clothes, see to it that her husband, the senator, and later president, be better clothed?

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2009, 06:22:27 PM »
This morning's Washington Post had the story of Lincoln's watch.  In 1861, Lincoln left his watch at M. W. Galt Jewelers to be repaired.  Jonathan Dillon was working on the watch when the shop owner came in with the news that Fort Sumter had been fired on.  At this point, Dillon said, he etched his name, the date, and a patriotic message inside the watch.  This was family legend, and Dillon also told a New York Times reporter in 1906, a year before he died.  The watch stayed in the family until 1958, when Lincoln's great-great-grandson donated it to the Smithsonian.  The legend never caught up with the watch until last month, when a relative in Ireland ran across a letter from Dillon, found the NYT article on the Internet, and alerted the Smithsonian.

Yesterday a jeweler opened the watch and discovered "Jonathan Dillon April 13-1861.  Fort Sumpter was attacked by the rebels on the above date thank God we have a government" etched inside.

Galt jeweler's was still a fixture in DC until about 10(?) years ago--very elegant and dignified.  My wedding ring came from there.  Maybe I'd better examine it for graffiti.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #77 on: March 11, 2009, 06:24:21 PM »
Every description you read of Lincoln describes him in coarse and ill-fitting clothes.  Why didn't Mary, who spent hundreds of dollars on her own clothes, see to it that her husband, the senator, and later president, be better clothed?
That's a good question.  Some people have the knack of looking ill-dressed no matter what.  Maybe Lincoln was one of them.

lucky

« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2009, 06:34:31 PM »
On page 125, Lincoln makes reference to Haman.  I find that remark very interesting.  It attests to Lincoln’s voracious reading and his extensive knowledge of the Old Testament, for the name Haman is not that well known outside of Jewish history.  The book of Esther tells of the proposed destruction of the Jews of Persia by Haman.  He especially despised one of the king’s advisors, a Jew named Mordecai and had the gallows erected for him.  Queen Esther informed the king of the evil intentions of Haman, and the gallows Haman had erected for Mordecai turned out to be the source of his own death.  By using this comparison Lincoln is telling us that the Democratic “thunder” has worked against them and like Haman’s gallows” that they built for us ...they are doomed to hang themselves.”  A very eloquent comparison.

lucky

« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2009, 06:41:46 PM »
   Politicians do not always express the truth or sincerity in their opinions.  Salman Chase remarked to Gerrit Smith (who was an abolitionist) that he would not have engaged in the war.   (The Mexican –American War) but publicly he was reticent.  If he wanted to be elected a senator, he needed the sympathy of Ohio democrats who were pro war.   When it comes to politics truth is a dangerous commodity.  Justin Butterfield, a prominent politician remarked, “I opposed one war, the War of 1812.  That was enough for me. I am now perpetually in favor or war, pestilence and famines.”  What a great line.
   Although Seward was not in favor of the war it was better to be discrete.  “It was” he said, “a mistake to argue against tit.
   Bates and Lincoln however expressed their vehemence against the war.  Bates charged Polk with “gross and palpable lying”.  The true object of the war, he remarked was for “plunder and conquest.”  Can we not apply these same words to the Iraqi war which, I believe is now in its eighth year.  Telling the truth in politics can often destroy a politician’s career or block important legislation.  A congressman or senator is dependent on others for approval to get a bill through. 
In l937 a Michigan representative read the press accounts of a grisly lynching in Mississippi.  It was but the latest in a series of lynching that had claimed over one hundred victims since l930.  Three days later the House approved an anti-lynching bill.  For Southerners it revived fear of Reconstruction.  Roosevelt, who believed in the measure but could not readily support it, remarked,  "I’ve got to get legislation passed by Congress to save America.”  The Dixicrats threatened to vote against such measures if the bill went through.  “The Southerners”, said Roosevelt, “are chairmen or occupy strategic places on most Senate and House committees.  If I come out for the anti-lynching bill now, they will block every bill I ask congress to pass to keep America from collapsing.  I just can’t take the risk” (“Freedom From Fear,” David Kennedy, p.343).    Politics does indeed make for strange bedfellows.