Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece Classic 2011-2012  (Read 149465 times)

ginny

• Administrator
Re: PBS Masterpiece Classic 2011-2012: Downton Abbey
« Reply #120 on: January 18, 2012, 08:59:15 PM »

Masterpiece Classic 2012 brings back favorite authors and introduces new authors and programs. See the complete 2012 MASTERPIECE CLASSIC schedule.

NOW DISCUSSING

April 15, 2012
      The Mystery of Edwin Drood
      An adaptation and completion of Charles Dickens' last novel left unfinished at the halfway mark at his death, The Mystery Of Edwin Drood is a psychological thriller about a provincial choirmaster's obsession with 17-year-old Rosa Bud and the lengths he will go to to attain her. Cast includes Matthew Rhys (Brothers & Sisters) and Julia MacKenzie (Miss Marple).

COMING

April 22 & 29, 2012 at 9pm
      Birdsong
      An adaptation of Sebastian Faulk's novel about lovers torn apart by World War I. Eddie Redmayne (The Pillars of the Earth) plays Stephen Wrayford, whose pre-war affair with Isabelle Azaire (Clemence Poesy, Harry Potter films) has an enduring effect on him as he fights in the trenches.

ALREADY DISCUSSED

April 1 & 8, 2012
      Great Expectations
      Widely considered one of the greatest novels by Charles Dickens, Great Expectations tells the story of Pip the battered orphan boy, who rises from blacksmith's apprentice to gentleman under the patronage of a mysterious benefactor, who assures him of "great expectations." Starring Gillian Anderson, David Suchet and Ray Winstone.

February 26, 2012
One 90-minute episode
     The Old Curiosity Shop
     A teenage girl and her grandfather lose everything to a maniacal moneylender and flee his relentless pursuit. Derek Jacobi (I, Claudius) stars as Grandfather, with Sophie Vavasseur (Northanger Abbey) as Nell and Toby Jones (Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy) as Quilp.

January 8 to February 19, 2012
      Downton Abbey Season 2
      Downton Abbey season 2 resumes the story of aristocrats and servants in the tumultuous World War I era. The international hit is written by Julian Fellowes and stars Maggie Smith, Elizabeth McGovern, and Hugh Bonneville, plus a drawing room full of new actors, portraying the loves, feuds, and sacrifices of a glittering culture thrown into crisis. Watch all episodes online through March 6 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch/index.html

The Primetime Emmy Award® winning Downton Abbey season one returns December 18 & 25, 2011 and January 1, 2012. (Check local listings.)

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #121 on: January 18, 2012, 09:01:06 PM »

Frybabe, I am unable to view the Wikipedia site but I did find this on the BBC and they are usually pretty  accurate, I had no idea it was so widespread, but I knew it was an awful war:

From: http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/britain_wwone/shot_at_dawn_01.shtml

Expectations of war

World War One soldiers knew their king and country expected them to fight to the death. Such was the expectation of their military commanders, their political leaders and even their loved ones that there was no question that if mortal danger came, they should face it like men. It was the only way for good to triumph over evil.

But this conflict quickly became the most brutal war in history and not even the most seasoned serviceman was prepared for the scale of carnage that unfolded before him. For many the horror proved too much. Hundreds were unable to cope, many were driven insane and several simply ran away.

But the army could no more afford to carry cowards than it could traitors, and many of those who did flee faced instant retribution with a court martial and death by firing squad.

British and Commonwealth military command executed 306 of its own men during the Great War. Those shot brought such shame on their country that nearly a century on, their names still do not appear on official war memorials.
 More on the website.

mabel1015j

« Reply #122 on: January 19, 2012, 01:29:39 PM »
Re: nurses in England-WWI

http://edwardianpromenade.com/women/nursing-military-hospitals-on-the-home-front/

Some facts, not fiction. Plus, if you scroll down to the bottom there are some interesting links to sources about the period......

I tho't this one was particularly interesting.

http://janeaustensworld.wordpress.com/2012/01/16/downton-abbey-season-2-country-houses-in-medical-service/

I'm reading Fall of Giants by Ken Follett, the first of a new trilogy set in the 20th century and this one is WWI - so I'm having trouble keeping the stories steaight in my head  :D

He has a character, a young woman Duchess named Maude, who has become an advocate for wives of military men. The middle/upper class women who are responsible for handing out the gov't supplied checks to the wives arbitrarily determine if the wife has behaved "properly", if not they w/hold the check, even on rumored evidence. "improper" behavior includes being in a tavern, or dancehall, or seen w/ a man! It's a very interesting part of his story, probably based on historical fact.

Jean

ean

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #123 on: January 19, 2012, 07:49:29 PM »
Yes, that was the man.  I was thinking that a few years back. His family were sent a letter of some kind.  Sort of apologizing for having done that.  Little late I would think. I am sure, in fact I know that others deserted in Europe during the war,  One lived next door to my family with a women.  Still with her years later.  Met others who melted into the town.  Some did the same in Korea etc.  Meet women and that is all it takes at times.  Very sad. Hard on families.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #124 on: January 19, 2012, 07:57:06 PM »
It is hard to not feel something for men who have fear and run away.  I lost many uncles in both wars.  In doing my family research have gotten lot more info on how where and when.  Some just young men of 19, 20. years old.
I remember in 1939 seeing them bringing the truck and taking these young men without any training of any kind.  Ages 18 to 40 years old.  Such fear they must have felt.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #125 on: January 19, 2012, 11:50:56 PM »
Ginny, what an awful situation and statistic you quote:
"But the army could no more afford to carry cowards than it could traitors, and many of those who did flee faced instant retribution with a court martial and death by firing squad. British and Commonwealth military command executed 306 of its own men during the Great War. Those shot brought such shame on their country that nearly a century on, their names still do not appear on official war memorials."

And JeanneP, I can't imagine what it was like for the young men in their teens and early 20s to be in the rain and cold and mud, with the enemy firing on them and their comrades being blown up around them.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #126 on: January 19, 2012, 11:52:49 PM »
Jean, what a good article at http://janeaustensworld.wordpress.com/2012/01/16/downton-abbey-season-2-country-houses-in-medical-service/.

I agree with the last sentence in the article: "The strength of Downton Abbey’s plot threads this year is how they incorporate the roiling changes in class structure during a complex political time in which the necessities of war, the dissatisfaction of the working classes, and the continued growth of the women’s movement influenced the lives of the series’ characters."

Babi

« Reply #127 on: January 20, 2012, 08:58:36 AM »
 Fascinating link re. women nursing and the home hospitals, JEAN. I had heard
of the VAD, but had a vague idea they were volunteers of all sorts. I think I
would have volunteered either at a hospital or to be a transport driver. Both
have their appeal.
  I was appalled to think that a self-appointed groups of women could arbitrarily
withhold government check from those for whom they were intended. Were these checks some form of 'charity', or money the wives were due from their husband's pay?  If the latter, surely the women were breaking laws in withholding them.

Really, I can sympathize with the plight of young men facing death before they
have really had a chance to taste of life.  Whatever hopes they had for their
future may come to nothing.  I would think I would need to feel strongly about
my purpose in being in that war,  in order to 'bravely' carry on.  At some point,
to find a woman to love, and quietly turn away and go live one's life...that must
have been an overwhelming longing.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

jeriron

« Reply #128 on: January 20, 2012, 09:47:15 AM »
That is such a good web site. It has just about about everything you would be interested in knowing about that time and about Dowton Abbey.  I hate to think how much time I'll be spending on it.  :)

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #129 on: January 20, 2012, 11:12:42 AM »
jeriron, I agree.  That's a terrific site, with a lot of wonderful background.  I won't call them spoilers, but if you don't want to know anything yet that occurs after Part2 (last Sunday), you might want to just skim this site for now.  I do like the comparisons of the real and the story.

MaryPage, I just assumed, after Season1 that Thomas was homosexual, and had not considered that he was just doing it for personal gain.  I don't know.  In Michenor's The Drifters, set during the Vietnam War, one of the characters struggles with whether he should declare himself a homosexual just to avoid the draft.

I am enjoying the DA performances so much, and this is the only place where I find people talking about it.  None of my friends or acquaintances have even heard of it.

mabel1015j

« Reply #130 on: January 20, 2012, 11:20:08 AM »
Ken Follett captures the fear and the horror of the battlefield in Fall of Giants, but not so gruesome as to be unreadable.........i should get a pr fee from him  :D....... It reminds me of the book and movie after WWI that was basically an anti-war movie, can't think of the name - i know one of you will know it.

Jean

Frybabe

« Reply #131 on: January 20, 2012, 12:17:25 PM »
What a fantastic write-up, Marcie. I got interested in Mell Manor, mentioned in the article, and ran across this article connecting Downton Abbey characters to a real-life hero. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2052408/Edward-Horner-The-real-life-Downton-Abbey-WWI-hero.html

MaryPage

« Reply #132 on: January 20, 2012, 12:22:02 PM »
I have been watching Masterpiece on public television since it began, oh, in 1970 or thereabouts.  I watched The Forsyth Saga, and that sort of morphed into Masterpiece Theatre and now, for some reason, we have Masterpiece Classic and Masterpiece Mystery and Masterpiece Contemporary, or whatever.  Doesn't matter to me;  I watch all Masterpieces.  So it really blows my mind when I hear of folk who have never heard of ANY of it!  Where have they BEEN????????

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #133 on: January 20, 2012, 12:33:50 PM »
Not on PBS that's for sure - remember when we used to donate items to be auctioned off in order to raise money for the station
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

jeriron

« Reply #134 on: January 20, 2012, 03:48:02 PM »
My daughter is one of them. We were talking about TV shows and I mentioned DA and she got quiet and then said HUH.  I mean there's so much talk about it yet there's still people that never heard of it.

Babi

« Reply #135 on: January 21, 2012, 08:26:24 AM »
Thanks for that line, FRYBABE. Mells Manor is beautiful, isn't it?  It is sad
to think of all the old families that died out during the war. It is one of the
reasons, I believe, that 'full nurseries' were so desired in older times. So
many died in childhood that one needed a number of children to assure that heirs would would survive.
  I was a bit surprised to learn that a statue of a man on a horse was placed
inside the local church. (I assume it was local.) That doesn't really sound
appropriate, but I guess much was allowed in those painful times.

I'm constantly surprised, watching quiz shows, at the things people know and
don't know.  Sometimes I'm saying, "Oh, come one, everybody knows that!"  At the same time, people will readily come up with information, ...like
celeb. doings and the names of weird band...that I an wholly ignorant about.
I guess it just depends on where your interests lie.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

MaryPage

« Reply #136 on: January 23, 2012, 06:20:53 AM »
I enjoyed last night's episode enormously.  Having read and felt disgruntled by a number of critics really picking on the story as written as compared with a more likely real life scenario, I admit to feeling it was a bit over the top the way Matthew and William showed up just as Lady Mary was performing.  On the other hand, I enjoy my escapism fairy tales. 

When we are children, the impossible tales are full of magic and things that really and truly do not happen in the real world:  talking animals, and such.  These are aimed at teaching us morals and something of the type of people, human frailties, and situations we will encounter in life.

If Downton Abbey has a lot of happily ever afterwards, well, that is fine with me!

I really did want Sybil and Matthew to get together, and am disappointed that her granny and sister's disapproval seems to be shoving her defiantly right to the inappropriate chauffeur.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #137 on: January 23, 2012, 07:05:56 AM »
Our PBS station broadcast first a documentary about The Manor House, which turned out to be historical background for the events shown in Downton, it was really good. Then they followed Downton with another of those Days in the life of Queen Elizabeth not too far in the past : the last opening of Parliamentvwith Tony Blair and IT was good, too. 

So it was definitely a British night :)

There's a very good large and somewhat tedious book about how the great and titled homes came undone and the staggering losses in wealth and property, truly staggering, among the British landed gentry, I can't recall the name, I read  at it for a class once but the documentary might as well have been Downton, right down to (no pun intended) the primogeniture and the American wife.

The documentary also pointed out the hierarchy above and below stairs and how 1/4th of the young men at one of the pre WWII dinner parties would not attend another after the war.  It said...something like 20,000 British were killed in one day?  Surely not one day, I need to watch that again, and that the young Lords find themselves in the trenches with their own servants,  with whom previously they had had precious little contact.

So thse aspects of Downton seem relatively realistic

I did think Bates's wife would not go away quite so easily, and it appears she has not, from the previews.

I don't think the chauffeur romance is realistic, the youngest girl does not seem that smitten or is it just me?

I feel sorry actually for Bates's replacement and the gift he had brought Lord Grantham, since the annual salary of a maid anyway was something like 28 dollars a year. That  set him back, not sure Bates should have taken it...

Am I the only one who feels sorry for Matthew's mother?

MaryPage

« Reply #138 on: January 23, 2012, 07:23:24 AM »
Feel sorry for Matthew's mother;  but she learned, I think, what a bossy boots she is!

Saw the manor house film, as well, and thought it a most interesting history of the rise and fall of this style of life.

Agree Sybil does not seem to be head over heels in love, but afraid family disapproval will lead this young rebel into an unsuitable alliance.  The young man is a HOT HEAD of the first order.  Am in sympathy with his cause, but not his anger.  Never felt the constant hatred and shedding of blood over blood being shed did the Irish any good.  All could have been settled long, long before the women came along and went on strike for PEACE. if only the men had not been such hot heads.  Oh well;  cannot change History.

Frybabe

« Reply #139 on: January 23, 2012, 08:57:44 AM »
The thought I came away with after this last episode is that they are trying to touch on as many social issues/changes as possible. An enormous task not too badly done, I think.

Does anyone remember exactly why O'Brien is holding a grudge against Bates other than she just doesn't like him? I can understand the continued animosity between Bates and Thomas, though.

Babi

« Reply #140 on: January 23, 2012, 08:59:27 AM »
 I sorta skimmed over today's posts, as Val and I haven't watched last night's
episode yet.  I'll re-read and post after we get a chance to do that.

MaryPage

« Reply #141 on: January 23, 2012, 09:16:05 AM »
I remember Bates was the one who told the butler he had seen Thomas stealing wine;  that I remember.  As to why O'Brian hates him so, I honestly just cannot remember.  Anyone?

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #142 on: January 23, 2012, 11:14:48 AM »
Seems to me O'Brien sees the world through jaundice eyes - I do not know that anything will make her happy - she is in competition with anyone her equal or above - is only loyal now to Cora because she realized after she left the soap where the pregnant Cora could slip and fall and out of that tragedy learned there was no secrets to get rid of her but rather the Dowager, Countess was needing a new maid.

You get the impression she aligns herself with Thomas just to keep alive her desire to control the house with no end in sight except to make everyone feel as calculating and pinched as she seems to feel. She disliked  Bates from the day he arrived - I do not remember but does she know about Thomas taking the wine - if so she may only have Thomas' version where Bates is the tattle tale enemy on that one. Because I cannot remember either any altercation between O'Brien and Bates.

I thought the timing was off a bit last night - part of it dragged and then it was like they had to hurry to get the parts of the story shown that was slated for this episode and the easiest was to have Matthew and William just walk in during the moral boosting amateur entertainment.

haha here is a fun bit - A quiz - which character are you?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/quiz/2011/sep/13/downton-abbey-character
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

EvelynMC

« Reply #143 on: January 23, 2012, 11:39:32 AM »
I watched it last night and enjoyed it. 

Hopefully Sybil will realize the chauffeur is very controlling wanting her to come away with him and give up her family and her nursing.  I agree he is a hothead and very full of himself.  By his downgrading her nursing duties as nothing special, I think she is beginning to see the light.

Will Mary ever let Matthew know her true feelings for him?

The hour each week just doesn't seem long enough.

Evelyn

CallieOK

« Reply #144 on: January 23, 2012, 11:55:47 AM »
Barb,  although my answers to most of the questions in the "which character are you" quiz would be "None of the above",  I'm supposed to be most like Lady Mary.   Hmmm... could be, could be.  :)

MaryPage

« Reply #145 on: January 23, 2012, 01:46:23 PM »
Oh, what fun!

This is who I am:

Your results: You are the Dowager Countess of Grantham, Violet Crawley (Maggie Smith). You do not suffer fools gladly. In fact you do not suffer anything at all because you refuse to entertain any form of discomfort in your life whatsoever.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #146 on: January 23, 2012, 09:14:20 PM »
I too enjoyed the episode and also am in the dark about what grudge O'Brien is holding against Bates. As you say, MaryPage and Barbara, it could be that she is upset at him for "telling" on Thomas and the wine (which I don't think he did). In this episode Thomas says he has bigger things to worry about than bringing down Bates. It's O'Brien who keeps the gossip flowing... about nearly everyone.

Evelyn, I too hope that Sybil wakes up to the immaturity of the chauffeur... or that he grows up. It was not a good sign that he belittled her nursing work. He says: "The only thing that matters is if you love me. Everything else is details."

Babi

« Reply #147 on: January 24, 2012, 09:29:53 AM »
 I fear you may be right about Bates' wife, GINNY. She has a lot of old
spite and bitterness in her. I'm not sure if that post-episode was all preview
or not; it looked as thought that bit with Bates' wife could have been a
review of her past confrontation with Bates.
  Bates wasn't aware of the back story in Moseley's presence there. I felt
sorry for Moseley, too, and I hope he will be able to take the disappointment
in stride. He seems a good-hearted man.

I was very pleased at Thomas' closing scene, MARCIE. His new responsibilities
have given him a better self-image, tho' he definitely needed calling down
about his arrogance and rudeness. I think it's true; he does not hold a grudge
the way O'Brien does. That woman is simply full of poison.

(I tried taking the quiz, but there were too many questions for which I did not
like any of the answers.)

MaryPage

« Reply #148 on: January 24, 2012, 10:35:17 AM »
The quiz has to be taken as though you were actually living at Downton in that time period.  It is asking what your reaction or preference would be if you were there, then.  It asks as though it is a complete mystery who you are:  just how would you, who you actually are, choose in a particular situation there.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #149 on: January 24, 2012, 04:35:24 PM »
I couldn't figure out how to get in to take the Quiz.

Now myself. I would say more like Sybil. When I was that age I was still single in UK. Was really out for Causes.  Only ones I did not go for were the "Black Shirts".  I think that is what we called them  They were the Mosley Boys. Sort of the Communist party. Did a lot of Marching and handing out leaflets.  I think they are still around someplace but not as many followers now.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #150 on: January 24, 2012, 06:21:10 PM »
I haven't seen the word "common," (in the quiz) or heard it in probably close to 40 years but my grandmother used it, and it was very effective, I always thought. Covered a multitude of sins. :)

I can't do the quiz, can't answer the first question, impossible choices.

Babi, I hope you are right about the bit on Bates's wife being in the past instead of a preview.  I  am somewhat confused by Mrs. Bates and their relationship.  He seems to feel hopeful. He looks different to me, has he lost weight? Is he still limping?  

CubFan

« Reply #151 on: January 24, 2012, 06:53:48 PM »
Greetings -

I know some of you have hope for Thomas but I personally don't trust him at all. I think he is up to something.

I was impressed with Cora's standing up to Isobel. It was painful to see;  and. obviously no one had stood up to her before. A bully is a bully regardless of gender. Just think of the number of women we've all known who act just like Isobel. Occasionally someone gets brave enough to try to stand up to the bully but always backs down when the bully threatens to leave, everyone says  "oh no no no".  Some of the worst bullies reign in the church kitchens.

Was nice to see Edith in a good light. Her kindness carried over from the service men to her sister, her father, and Daisy.

Mary
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #152 on: January 24, 2012, 10:47:21 PM »
I felt sorry for Isobel. She doesn't have any skills as a diplomat and doesn't seem to see other points of view very easily. I thought that she felt she was finally getting some recognition for her skills as a nurse and a woman who could make a difference to a large organization. I'm sure that by most people  nurses were seen in those days as unskilled; much inferior to doctors.

Now, while she was gone, the household changed the nursing schedule...something that she thought was in her purview.

Cora and Isobel were butting heads from the beginning. Cora also is taking more responsibility for the house than she seems to have before...maybe in submission to her mother-in-law. Cora seems to be flourishing in her new role too.

It's probably best for all that Isobel and Cora have their own domains to oversee.

Cubfan, I too don't see Thomas turning around. He's too self-centered.

Ginny, lol. You say "I haven't seen the word "common," (in the quiz) or heard it in probably close to 40 years but my grandmother used it, and it was very effective, I always thought. Covered a multitude of sins."

I too know someone who occasionally uses the term "common." It can be quite effective.

Babi

« Reply #153 on: January 25, 2012, 08:55:12 AM »
 That's how I felt, GINNY. Impossible choices. As to Bates, he is still
carrying the cane, but as I recall when he walked around the pub, he only
limped very slightly. He may just need the cane in certain circumstances,
like uneven ground, or stairs.

CUBFAN, I think Isobel had gotten so used to thinking of Downton Abbey
as her future domain, that she got beforehand in 'taking over'.  It came
as a great shock to her that she could get ousted from the place. I agree,
Cora has become more self-assertive with this opportunity to show how
capable she is in management.
 Seriously, sometimes the mistress of a large,fashionable house managed
large sums of money and more employees than her husband did in his office.
  PS: If Edith can grow and change, why can't Thomas?  You may be entirely
right, but one can hope.

MaryPage

« Reply #154 on: January 25, 2012, 02:27:11 PM »
Mosley was not a communist, and would have been horrified to hear himself described as such.  He was a Facist.  He was imprisoned for, oh, I think it was 3 years or more, during World War II because of his politics.  His wife was Diana Mitford, who divorced a multi-millionaire Guiness in order to marry him.  Yes, the beautiful Diana was the loveliest of the 6 famous Mitford sisters and is grandmother to the famous Guniesses of today.  She was also imprisoned, but I think they let her out sooner than Sir Oswald.  Yes, he, too, was a member of the British aristocracy.

I do not believe for a nanosecond that we have heard the last of Mrs. Bates.  And I believe her to be a greedy ingrate of the first order.  Remember, her husband went to jail and served a sentence and got a history tied around his neck for something HE DID NOT DO!  He went for her:  to save her reputation and womanhood.  Ha!  She has already shown nothing but greed for anything she can get and contempt for him and for his feelings.  No gratitude!

And I agree Thomas will never have a decent cell in his body.

I have used "common" all of my life.  Mostly just within family conversation, as one cannot risk being quoted elsewhere.  I find these days I often have to revert to the word:  generational, instead.  I find an enormous amount of common attire and behavior these days.  I simply dare not say so.

No matter what transpires, Isobel will one day be the dowager mother of the Earl of Downton!

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #155 on: January 25, 2012, 04:17:47 PM »
Mary.

We who were young back when Mosley was around more really did not know what the difference was really between Communist crowd and the Facist.  We just use to hang around and listen to them Rant and Rave.  Use to be lots of Sunday morning Meeting in the Town centres.  To be honest, I didn't learn a thing.  Now I would never show up for either one of them.

EvelynMC

« Reply #156 on: January 25, 2012, 05:50:50 PM »
I just got around to taking the Quiz. I'm Bates!!!  Go figure.  I think I'll take it again and see who I am.  ;D

Evelyn

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #157 on: January 25, 2012, 09:16:21 PM »
I think they will keep that Awful Thomas on the show until the end, much as people hate him.

Then he will have a bad ending. (I hope).  If that show was a USA made then people would be spitting on him on the streets. (the actor I mean.) but in UK. people don't seem to do that kind of thing.  I remember here that Soap Stars that people thought mean use to have a hard time.

Babi

« Reply #158 on: January 26, 2012, 08:44:48 AM »
 It is simply astonishing how many people behave as though the actors, esp.
in soap, really were the people they portrayed.  I don't know how many stories
I've heard of tv 'doctors' being approached in public by people wanting medical
advice!  And my sweet grandmother would agonize over the entirely fictional
troubles of her favorite characters, talking about them as though they were
dear friends. 

MaryPage

« Reply #159 on: January 26, 2012, 09:53:15 AM »
When at my daughter Anne's earlier this week (I spend Monday and Tuesday night with her every single week), I told her about the Downton Abbey which character are you quiz.  I told her I had taken it and asked her to guess which one I turned out to be.  She immediately shot back with the answer:  The Dowager Duchess!

When I told her, in much surprise, that she was right, she said:  "Ha!  I could have told you that and saved you the trouble!"