Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece Classic 2011-2012  (Read 149819 times)

Jonathan

Re: PBS Masterpiece Classic 2011-2012
« Reply #520 on: April 03, 2012, 02:38:27 PM »

Masterpiece Classic 2012 brings back favorite authors and introduces new authors and programs. See the complete 2012 MASTERPIECE CLASSIC schedule.

NOW DISCUSSING

April 22 & 29, 2012 at 9pm
      Birdsong
      An adaptation of Sebastian Faulk's novel about lovers torn apart by World War I. Eddie Redmayne (The Pillars of the Earth) plays Stephen Wrayford, whose pre-war affair with Isabelle Azaire (Clemence Poesy, Harry Potter films) has an enduring effect on him as he fights in the trenches.

ALREADY DISCUSSED

April 15, 2012
      The Mystery of Edwin Drood
      An adaptation and completion of Charles Dickens' last novel left unfinished at the halfway mark at his death, The Mystery Of Edwin Drood is a psychological thriller about a provincial choirmaster's obsession with 17-year-old Rosa Bud and the lengths he will go to to attain her. Cast includes Matthew Rhys (Brothers & Sisters) and Julia MacKenzie (Miss Marple).

April 1 & 8, 2012
      Great Expectations
      Widely considered one of the greatest novels by Charles Dickens, Great Expectations tells the story of Pip the battered orphan boy, who rises from blacksmith's apprentice to gentleman under the patronage of a mysterious benefactor, who assures him of "great expectations." Starring Gillian Anderson, David Suchet and Ray Winstone.

February 26, 2012
One 90-minute episode
     The Old Curiosity Shop
     A teenage girl and her grandfather lose everything to a maniacal moneylender and flee his relentless pursuit. Derek Jacobi (I, Claudius) stars as Grandfather, with Sophie Vavasseur (Northanger Abbey) as Nell and Toby Jones (Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy) as Quilp.

January 8 to February 19, 2012
      Downton Abbey Season 2
      Downton Abbey season 2 resumes the story of aristocrats and servants in the tumultuous World War I era. The international hit is written by Julian Fellowes and stars Maggie Smith, Elizabeth McGovern, and Hugh Bonneville, plus a drawing room full of new actors, portraying the loves, feuds, and sacrifices of a glittering culture thrown into crisis. Watch all episodes online through March 6 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch/index.html

The Primetime Emmy Award® winning Downton Abbey season one returns December 18 & 25, 2011 and January 1, 2012. (Check local listings.)

I wish I had taken up sooner with reading Dickens. What a great humanitarian. Reading him is a great course in sensitization to human problems. My appreciation is helped by all your posts. Barb, you've made it plain to me what a devastating experience that must have been for Miss Havisham those many years ago.

I'm hooked. Trying to read four of his simultaneously. Bleak House. Oliver Twist. Great Expectations. And Our Mutual Friend. Can anyone reccommend a good biography?
Jonathan

Babi

« Reply #521 on: April 04, 2012, 08:59:09 AM »
 All great books, JONATHAN.  Reading them all at the same time might be difficult, tho'.  They
might start getting mixed up in your mind.  Even reading two or three by different authors, it
may take me a minute to recall, Okay, where am I?  Oh, yeah.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #522 on: April 05, 2012, 05:57:16 PM »
Interesting the actor who plays Matthew Crawley is on the five person panel to choose the Booker in Literature this year.

Here is the run down explaining him and his qualifications.

Dan Stevens is one of Britain's leading young actors. Perhaps best known as Matthew Crawley in the hit ITV drama Downton Abbey, his other television work includes lead roles in Alan Hollinghurst's The Line of Beauty and Andrew Davies's adaptation of Sense & Sensibility. Dan has had leading film roles in American independent Vamps and German-speaking feature Hilde and he is an Executive Producer on Summer in February, a feature adaptation of the Jonathan Smith novel.

Whilst studying English Literature at Cambridge University, Dan became a member of the prestigious Footlights club, and has subsequently gone onto work extensively in theatre. His stage credits to date include Tom Stoppard's Arcadia (Duke of York's), as well as productions for the Peter Hall Company and the National Theatre. He is also a prolific narrator of audiobooks: his reading of Louisa Young's My Dear I Wanted to Tell You won ‘Audiobook of the Year 2011' at the Galaxy National Book Awards, and his recordings of Wolf Hall and War Horse were shortlisted for ‘Audiobook of the Year 2010'.

Dan is Editor-at-Large for the online quarterly The Junket and is a regular guest on the BBC's Review Show. He has also hosted Have I Got News For You and has a column in The Sunday Telegraph.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #523 on: April 06, 2012, 02:16:20 AM »
Thanks for that info, Barb. It's very interesting that he's a "literary" actor.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #524 on: April 06, 2012, 02:35:05 AM »
And he's married  :(  ;D

Babi

« Reply #525 on: April 06, 2012, 09:03:08 AM »
 And really, really busy!  People like this, I am in awe. How do they manage it all?
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Frybabe

« Reply #526 on: April 09, 2012, 01:38:34 PM »
What did you all think of the rest of Great Expectations? I got a little impatient with it for some reason. I can't help feeling there was stuff missing that would have added more depth to some of the characters. I won't know until I read the book.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #527 on: April 09, 2012, 02:27:00 PM »
I did not read yet the book either - but my memory did not have the first part to be as long as the rest of the book - that was how they broke it up for this production - there were parts that I thought were done very well - and his not wanting the money was made more believable than I remembered - I remembered it more of a strong ramrod iron un-compassionate stance. But then my own concept of right and wrong may not have allowed for much gray.

I did not remember that his roomy was the obnoxious boy from the courtyard fight nor that the criminal was Stella's father - all in all I thought they tied together the pieces and it had a 'and-they-lived-happily-ever-after' ending. A much simpler straight forward story line as compared to some of the works by Dickens. Again, I do not remember the story as well as I thought I did and if this production is accurate than it was a straight forward telling of events.

Oh yes, the actor who plays the grown up Pip could pull of compassion much easier than trying to pass himself off justifying over-spending and ne'er do well attitude towards his eduction for a life of luxury.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #528 on: April 09, 2012, 05:05:54 PM »
Frybabe - I felt the same way.  I haven't read Great Expectations for many years, but your're right - there were "big chunks" missing - I guess there had to be given the length of the novel and the allotted time for the adaptation
...Also I don't think Dickens ended his story quite this way.  Not sure it was  a "straight-forward telling of Dickens' story, Barb - but it was entertaining, I thought.  It was just a bit uncomfortable knowing that this was not Dickens' story.  I'm going to have to go back and read the book  - if we EVER get finished with Bleak House, that is! :D

Babi

« Reply #529 on: April 11, 2012, 08:11:51 AM »
 It has been a long time since I read "Great Expectations", but I don't remember some of the
events happening as we saw them here.  Of course, I don't remember exactly how they did
happen either, so that doesn't mean much.
  I found Abel Magwitch do be a much more likable character than I remember.  A surprisingly
refreshing honesty and humor in him.  He and Joe Gargary actually have quite a bit in common.
I want to believe that he did live long enough to hear Pip tell him his daughter was alive and well.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #530 on: April 12, 2012, 06:59:49 AM »
Babi - that is, of course, because the wonderful Ray Winstone played him  ;D  He's played many villains and they've all been adorable in a way....

Babi

« Reply #531 on: April 12, 2012, 08:54:29 AM »
 Ah, his speciality, I gather.   :)  I'll try to remember that name next time
I see it. 

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #532 on: April 13, 2012, 09:46:01 PM »
I finally got to watch the second episode on the computer. It hasn't shown up on my cable "on demand." I was very satisfied with the production ... maybe because I have forgotten the details in the book. It was quite scary in parts and I was fearing for Pip. I thought his goodness shone through in the end. I do want to read the book, especially to learn more about Estelle.

There is a Q&A with the production designer for Great Expectations at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/greatexpectations/roger.html. He shares interesting insights about his view of the program and especially what he was trying to convey in his portrayal of Satis House - Miss Havisham's house.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #533 on: April 13, 2012, 09:49:52 PM »
The Mystery of Edwin Drood is showing in my area this Sunday.

See info about the program at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/drood/index.html

Babi

« Reply #534 on: April 14, 2012, 08:30:23 AM »
 I wonder how they will end the story?  I found it frustrating to read the book and be left to
imagine my own ending. I had an opinion as to 'who' and 'why', but I'll never know for sure.
If they leave viewers dangling at the end of this film,  people are going to be most annoyed.
At the same time, will they agree with whatever answers the writers might come up with?

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #535 on: April 14, 2012, 06:09:00 PM »
It looks like the writer of the Edwin Drood adaptation found difficulties in deciding how to end it too. See the article by her at http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/jan/04/mystery-edwin-drood-dickens-bbc. I didn't notice any spoilers.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #536 on: April 15, 2012, 09:15:14 AM »
Is anybody watching the Titanic by Julian Fellowes showing last night and tonight on ABC?

Simon Callow (I wrote Cowell again hahaha) was intereviewd last night about his new book on acting and he was marvelous, he's just completed  something on Broadway thru the 14th April and his memory for sonnets  is prodigious. He said the only way to memorize all that stuff is to put everything else in the world out of your head, so that you can speak as the character and think as the character.

How It's New York: Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM) briefly hosts Simon Callow’s one-man hit show, Being Shakespeare, transferred transatlantic after a long run on London’s West End.
How It's Irish: Callow attended Queens University Belfast, before dropping out to become an actor. And William Shakespeare, a few years before he died, bought a flat in London--in Ireland Yard! “It’s still there” in the Blackfriars area, the audience learns.

The play runs through April 14 only.

I'd have loved to have seen him!

rosemarykaye

« Reply #537 on: April 15, 2012, 11:45:59 AM »
Ginny - we are watching Titanic here but it's not very good (in our opinion).  It's been slated in the papers too.

Rosemary

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #538 on: April 15, 2012, 12:57:16 PM »
I completely forgot to turn the TV over to it.  Was watching a older movie with my favourite man in it. Colin Firth.  LIttle different. A Ruth Rendell mystery.  "Master of the Moor".  How I miss my walks on the Yorkshire moors when I watch things like this.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #539 on: April 15, 2012, 01:01:15 PM »
Babi, you said it all.  The Edwin Drood mystery was maddening to read, impossible to tell how Dickens would have ended it had he lived. He didn't even leave suggestions for the upcoming chapters with the illustrator.  Nothing.  Of course we're all curious to see what the Masterpiece production does with it, but at the same time, I have the  suspicion that we won't be happy with it, no matter how well it's done.   So, should it have been left on the shelf?  Or should Masterpiece present it to us in its infinished state?  I think that would be better - rather than have someone else finish it for the master storyteller.  But after viewing Great Expectations, I'll bet that won't happen.

I'm still reeling over the changes made in the production of Great Expectations.  Whose idea was it to make those changes to write a better story than Dickens' great novel?

By the way, thanks to those of you who sent checks for the postage  for shipping Great Expectations to you.  I'd been waiting for the last three checks before depositing them, but plan to check tomorrow's mail before depositing those already received.  Thanks for your patience.

Frybabe

« Reply #540 on: April 15, 2012, 02:37:12 PM »
JoanP, ou did get the stamps I sent, I hope.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #541 on: April 15, 2012, 04:39:06 PM »
Yes, I did, Fry.  Aready used the three from one side...Thanks!  Should have mentioned those.  Guess I'll write to the three outstanding so you'll know who you are...

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #542 on: April 15, 2012, 07:49:42 PM »
I'll get it  JoanP I will I will I will - I need a list to keep me on track - so many things are piling up - taxes are nearly done but I may after all this work take an extension because I am convinced I'm missing things - plus it looks like my laptop crashed on top of that I lost a tooth - fake - had a root canal a few years ago that was a molar - he said he could only find two canals and molars usually have 3 - well this one must have because there is some pain - used peroxide but no help till his office opens on Monday - his office is closed on Friday and of course this happened Thursday night -

Started to catch up on Bleak House - not there yet - I think I will call back the gal that finishes the work on my taxes and just tell her to do an extension and then I still have a presentation at the City Council meeting on Tuesday - get an appointment with the Dentist and send this computer off to my son-in-law to see if it is really done for and then it is catch up time. It never rains it pours -

Frybabe

« Reply #543 on: April 15, 2012, 11:22:00 PM »
Ouch, Barb! I hope your dentist can fit you in quickly.

I watched about 18minutes of Edwin Drood, then turned it off. I'll have to give it a try again on the rerun, but tonight it just didn't hold my interest. Recognized one of the characters being played by one of the Miss Marple incarnates. Am I right? The only character that I found interesting before turning it off, was Durdle (spelling).

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #544 on: April 16, 2012, 07:35:51 AM »
On the Titanic, I tried Saturday, which is why I asked originally, and I see your opinion  is the same, Rosemary, to watch it,  but ended up turning it off on  Saturday in favor of  Chopped (a cooking contest show here) instead. I tried again last night to watch Titanic, what IS it about it, the acting is flat?  Just couldn't stick it out. It's like they are in slots: here's the rich woman, here are  the doomed lovers.  Did it pick up any?

Geraldine McEwan is in Edwin Drood?

Barbara, you've had a rough spring. I am sorry for the tooth, nothing like a toothache, hope he's able to do something with that today.

Frybabe

« Reply #545 on: April 16, 2012, 07:48:33 AM »
I looked her up since I didn't see her in the beginning credits. It is Julia McKenzie I saw, and she plays Mrs. Crisparkle.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #546 on: April 16, 2012, 07:55:57 AM »
Oh that's right! SHE is the newest Miss Marple, you're absolutely right. I've never seen her work, and didn't care for Geraldine McEwan's, either in that role..  Nobody will ever replace Joan Hickson for me as Miss Marple, nor David Suchet as Poirot or Alistair Sim for that matter as Scrooge.  OR Basil Rathbone as Sherlock Holmes.  I expect all that dates me. :)

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #547 on: April 16, 2012, 11:13:54 AM »
I watched Edwin Drood and while I wasn't bored, I wasn't captivated either. I liked the character of Rev Crisparkle. Rosa was beautiful and  played well by the actress. Helena Landless was played well also. I couldn't get into the other characters.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #548 on: April 16, 2012, 11:30:34 AM »
Tried watching Edwin Drood.  Awful.  Turned on the Titanic.  Such bad acting and the way it skipped around. Awful.  I had seen the 3D movie 3 days before.  Not a good Sunday for Television.  Went to reading but only last 30 min.  Off went the light and went to sleep.
Don't know about today.  It stormed all night and the wind is awful today.  Could find things to do inside.  Just have to get in mood.  The early spring spoiled me.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #549 on: April 16, 2012, 12:07:02 PM »
Anna and I watched the first heat of the Young Musician of the Year competition last night (we recorded it from friday) - it was great (pianists this week) - much better than Titanic, which we have completely given up on.  We each chose different 'winners' - and the judges chose someone else, but all 5 were brilliant.  As usual, most of the entrants came from Cheethams (v prestigious music school near Manchester) - it's almost an event if one comes from somewhere else!  They are all so dedicated and talented.

We had lovely weather today - have just been for a walk up the hill with Madeleine - at the top we could see Fife across the Firth, the sea very blue, Bass Rock white with seabirds.  Forecast is terrible for the next few days, so I am now trying to get all the laundry dry before the rain comes on.  Not going to complain about rain though, with most of the UK in drought conditions.  East Lothian really has a wonderful little climate of its own.

Rosemary

roshanarose

« Reply #550 on: April 16, 2012, 11:14:57 PM »
Rosemary - I always get envious when you write about your walks with your daughter/s.  You must live in a truly beautiful place.  I watch "Coast" with that lovely wee Scot, and he and his companions take me all over the British Isles so I have to make do with that.

I didn't watch the movie Titanic again.  I dislike 3D.  However, I did watch a TV show explaining in detail the events that led up to her demise.  It was very good.  It gave the impression that Titanic was doomed in the first place, being built with B grade iron rivets instead of steel rivets.  These just popped like buttons when she hit the iceberg.  Other terrible mistakes were made as well, but I am sure that most of you are aware of them.
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #551 on: April 17, 2012, 01:20:34 PM »
I wonder if families were compensated for their loss from the Shipping line?  Could be that they had to have taken out a insurance policy themselves. could be that called "Act of God" like lots of other things come under and nothing paid out.

I will not go to see a 3D movie again.  Glasses are better but still bother me.

Babi

« Reply #552 on: April 19, 2012, 06:02:39 PM »
 I, too, was very disappointed with Edwin Drood and turned it off after a short trial.  They simply
had to cut too much to fit the time frame.  It seemed such a muddle.  Oh, well....can't love them
all.

mabel1015j

« Reply #553 on: April 22, 2012, 01:04:42 PM »
Masterpece Theater seems to have become enamored by WWI. Birdsong tonight. Maybe it's really an enamorment w/ the period, or the fashions and the English houses of the time, rather than the war itself. Certainly that was a horrible, horrible war. I know, i know all war is horrible, but the years and lives lost fighting back and forth over a hundred miles, getting nothing solved is particularly heinous to me.

Jean

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #554 on: April 22, 2012, 04:17:10 PM »
Thanks, Jean, for the reminder that Birdsong is on tonight (and next week). We can find more info and a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/birdsong/index.html

It does seem that we don't get a whole lot of information about the War (I or II) during the Masterpiece programs but do get some feeling for the impact of the war on some lives. I'm not sure how much emphasis there will be on WWI in this adaptation. The web site says: "Adapted by Abi Morgan (Iron Lady, The Hour) from the Sebastian Faulks novel, Birdsong tells the story of Stephen's awakening to love and his determination to reclaim it."

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #555 on: April 28, 2012, 01:24:54 PM »
I don't think I will bother to Watch Masterpiece tomorrow night. (Birdsong).  Didn't much care for it last week. To much showing of the War 1917.  The one showing was where my MOthers 2 brothers killed. My Fathers Brothers killed same war but 1915 Christmas Eve in the Turkey Area.  Along with many in WW2 it is no wonder our family names now gone.  No men left

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #556 on: April 28, 2012, 11:09:07 PM »
Jeanne, I just watched the first episode of Birdsong on my cable on demand.  It does show the horrors of war. I can understand your not wanting to be reminded of the memories of your family.

Eddie Redmayne, the actor who plays the lead role has a very expressive face. The story is told while he is in the trenches during WWI, with flashbacks to his falling in love with a young married woman during a summer when he was 20 years old. So far, the story in the flashbacks seems much like a dream. I'm not sure where the relationship will go.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #557 on: April 29, 2012, 05:03:13 PM »
I think that the last part is tonight.  Only 2 parts.  Doubt it does much more than showing the war.  Has shown a little of it today and that is what looks like it is going to be.

I am sort of Bug Eyed today.  Last night watch 4 more hours of "Mad Men"  the number 4 series.  That is it now until a number 5 comes out.  I have watched all of them in less than 2 weeks.  LIke I said.  I became addicted to it.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #558 on: April 30, 2012, 10:58:20 AM »
I have been disappointed with the latest offerings on Sunday night PBS.  So went to Netflix and watched a series I've been enjoying about two young detectives.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #559 on: April 30, 2012, 11:14:07 AM »
Well I know this is not a movie discussion but I watched the two movies about the Brodericks, starring Meredith Baxter as Elizabeth (Betty) Broderick. The DVD has film of the actual trial in it, very short but you can see what she was like. She killed her husband who had left her for a young woman.

And the young woman. Both as they slept.

Oprah did a show on her, one of the 10 top watched TV shows of Oprah's career, because a lot of women felt sorry for her.

I bring this up because she was eligible for parole in 2011 but in her hearing in 2010 she was denied parole because she has not changed one bit in any way  from her original position  that he "made her do it," and her feeling he was at fault. She was 62 in 2010. That leaves her 15 more years to serve. So in 2025 if I can add, when she's 77 she can be released.

There were  4 children.  I feel sorry for them, I don't know what happened to any of them.

But in more PBS germane thoughts apparently Upstairs Downstairs, the remake,  has been cancelled. Viewers apparently did not enjoy the second installment so the only contender now in the field is Downton Abbey.

I wish they had not aired at about the same time, I don't think that did U/D any good.