Author Topic: Click HERE to ask your questions/report a problem here.  (Read 101690 times)

ClassicsAdmin

• TopicManager
Click HERE to ask your questions/report a problem here.
« on: December 17, 2008, 04:39:57 PM »

This is the place to ask those questions, report problems, seek help in navigating this website.

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
Re: Click HERE to ask your questions/report a problem here.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 04:54:33 PM »
I'm putting some things here to remind people of things they can change. This is the same software as SeniorNet used, just the newest version.

So...in PROFILE (see the little toolbar across the top of the page)

and then click on Look and Layout and then on the two items to go back to where you posted and to not have that warning pop up about others posting.  Here, too, you click AUTO DETECT by the time and it'll fix the GMT to show your time in your time zone. Then click CHANGE PROFILE at the bottom.

Please note we have SPELL CHECK  -- hurrah ....Ask here if you have any questions. 

=============

If you want the text larger, and you use IE, click on VIEW/TEXT SIZE/ Choose what you like. I use larger and that works well for me.  Choose what's comfortable for you.

In Firefox...Tools/Options/Content Tab/go down that page to Fonts & Color and set font face and size you want to see.  Click the OK at the bottom of the page.

jane

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 11:42:35 AM »
The SeniorLearn server was unavailable for a brief period of time. I got the message that the server was busy.  That'll probably be something we'll all have to live with, since this is not a dedicated only to Seniorlearn server.

Please be patient as we work out the kinks of a new site.

jane

fairanna

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 02:00:42 PM »
Jane I posted but was told I was not allowed although I registered HELP since I want to sing my thanks  well in bold and red ..anna

gingerw

• Michigan
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 02:06:19 PM »
I am in  :), thanks Pearson.
Ginger

joangrimew

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 02:32:04 PM »
I made a typing error when registering.  I registered as joangrimew and of course I wanted to be joangrimes but I have vision problems now.  So could someone please change my name to joangrimes.

Thank you.

Joan Grimes

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 02:46:51 PM »
Hey, Ginger, hey Anna! Hey Joan!  We've deleted Joan Grimesw and sent Joan Grimes a new look! :)

So nice to see you all again, it's been a long time.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 03:00:40 PM »
Glad to be here Ginny.  Thanks for deleting my dumb error name.

Joan Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

Ella Gibbons

• BooksDL
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 06:24:10 PM »
Everything looks very good to me.  I do thank you!  How did you do it?  How did you get a server?

Funny thing, Ann and I were just talking about attempting this very thing and I even emailed PatW asking her opinion!

Well, what it amounts to is we all just miss our book discussions and each other.  It keeps our minds busy with good thoughts!  Now do you have any medicines for for our aging bodies?  Hahaha

See you online!  How great it is!

fairanna

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 07:19:09 PM »
Ella keep thinking YOUNG    ;D

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 10:37:32 PM »
Ella...Ginny will have to answer your question about how she went about finding a server to host this website and how she got a name "SeniorLearn" for the site and then she investigated the SMF software and downloaded it to this server.  I believe hers is the only website on this server using, SMF. 

I'm glad to hear you're  feeling much better!

jane

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 10:09:16 AM »
Ella, so glad you're out of the hospital and feeling better.

When I logged on here yesterday for the first time I saw links to the Latin classes, but haven't seen them since.  Did I just imagine them or will they be back later?

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2008, 10:11:28 AM »
Pedln...You'll see the Latin classes when you're enrolled in the new Latin classes for January.  You should see  the two public Latin areas...the Forum and the the Classics Bulletin Board.  Do you NOT see them now?  I'll have to go check the access lists.

Please let me know here...

The Latin area is down below all the Books area.

jane

Pat

• US 34, IL
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2008, 11:06:51 AM »
Hi.  I'll be glad to help with any questions, if I can.

The SMF format was chosen, because it is the same format we had before.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2008, 06:31:47 PM »
Jane, are you still here?  I thought you were bon voyage. 

I see The Forum and the Classics Bulletin Board.  Do we have to do anything to be enrolled in the Latin classes?  Yesterday I saw links to 104, 200, and 201.  The only ones I use are 201 and 101.  So they are not yet open, is that correct?

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2008, 08:47:33 PM »
Pedln...

Correct. Ginny will be letting the Latin students know when we're ready to register them.  It's not the same as getting the DLs here.  The Latin students have to be put in one of 5 access groups, etc.  We're trying to proceed in an organized fashion so we're not overwhelmed with all the students trying to register here and then get into the right access group.

jane

Pat

• US 34, IL
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2008, 10:48:49 PM »
Jane,  I hope you're in Chicago. We're to get more snow and ice.

Eloise

• Montreal
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2008, 06:43:21 AM »
Hello everyone, I don't have a problem but just wanted to check in here to read the posts and check how everybody is doing after this long long break.

Preparations for the Holidays keeps me busy but I am glad that we are starting with books discussions again. It's the best place on the web and thanks to those who put in so many hours organizing it. It's a huge job and we appreciate it..

Pat

• US 34, IL
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2008, 09:36:13 AM »
Hi Eloise;  Good to see you checking in here, so you'll see new posts when they are made.

We're having real Christmas weather here -- snow 3 days ago and 1" of ice yesterday  on top of the snow.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2008, 10:56:07 PM »
I don't envy you, Pat.  I know it's pretty but it's no fun to drive on.

I flying out of St. Louis at 3 pm on MOnday, so am keeping a close eye on the weather, hoping to drive the 120 miles to St. L Monday am.  But if things look bad I can go up the night before or else take the van service Monday am.  We've had a little freezing rain -- fender bender weather, but nothing insurmountable so far.

ALF43

• BooksDL
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2008, 02:21:25 PM »
Well, I'm here even though I am not all THERE.
Baby steps I will take to look ovr our new site.
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

Pat

• US 34, IL
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2008, 02:27:20 PM »
I thought I saw you peekin around the corner.

Persian

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2008, 08:38:08 PM »
I just posted in the first books discussion, but also wanted to extend my appreciation for the new books sites here as well.  It is truly gratifying to be able to interact with long-time friends again.  Kind of like an early Holiday gift!

Since these new books sites were launched recently, I wondered if there has there been any discussion about creating and launching other discussion groups similar to those from the former SN? 

Happy Holidays to all!

Mahlia

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2008, 08:12:04 AM »
Hi, Molly,

I don't know what the future might bring here. It's been very time consuming to date just getting the Latin classes set up again, which is the area in which I've been working with Ginny and PatW.  They were abruptly interrupted with the crash of SN and these are classes for which the students all had to pay a membership fee TO SeniorNet. [All of those $$ remained with SN.  Ginny and those helping continue to volunteer their time and efforts.]   To have the language study so abruptly interrupted and with no signs from SN since they removed the promise to have them back by the week of Dec. 1, Ginny had little choice but to seek out a new server and set up her own website.  That's what this is.  She also had been the head of the Books and Literature site at SeniorNet since being asked to take that on in the summer of 1996, after she joined SN in July of that year.  So, she and Joan decided to add Books here to provide the indepth book discussions that had become the hallmark of the Books and Literature folder at SeniorNet. 

These two ventures have consumed much time during this busy holiday season, but it appears that this site will be ready for both the Latin classes to continue on Jan. 5 and for those interested in Books and Book Discussions to meet and get back into some indepth discussions as well. 

Welcome to SeniorLearn!

jane

Persian

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2008, 09:53:40 AM »
JANE - Thanks very much for the detailed description about SeniorLearn.  What a terrific undertaking by Ginny and Joan - and much appreciated by all who value language studies and books discussions.  I appreciate the time and effort spent on creating and launching this new site for all to enjoy and continuing learning.

Mahlia

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2008, 04:35:16 PM »
jane, thanks for starting us this new place.  We've all been so "at loose ends" since the supposed demise of our beloved SeniorNet.  You and the others who are doing the rescue service are working way above and beyond, and it is great appreciated by all. 

And, jane, I know this is on top of your travels, etc.  Many, many hugs!
maryz
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Phyll

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2008, 04:43:25 PM »
I'm completely delighted to have the Bookies coming back together!  Thanks for the email invitation to this new home.  I'm looking forward to "talking" about books with all of my old friends.
phyllis

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2008, 11:15:48 AM »
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2008, 04:10:06 PM »
jane, thanks for starting us this new place.  We've all been so "at loose ends" since the supposed demise of our beloved SeniorNet.  You and the others who are doing the rescue service are working way above and beyond, and it is great appreciated by all. 

And, jane, I know this is on top of your travels, etc.  Many, many hugs!
maryz

Thanks, Mary, but it's GINNY who deserves the accolades.  She's the one who found the server, paid for this space, downloaded the software and has gotten this site, her site,  on its feet and running.  I've only done the same things I did at SN...offer a little help with getting Latin students registered and in the right classes, etc.  Joan Pearson has taken on the job of Books, too, and PatW is helping, as she did at SN with graphics and headings and all those technical things.

EvelynMC

« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2008, 04:54:35 PM »
Jane,

Thanks for the background info on SeniorLearn, and thank you for all that you are doing.  I was missing the book discussions so much.  Since I had to drop out of Latin due to health reasons, I had been visiting the book discussions and when the SN website closed down so abruptly I was really at a loss.  To get the email today inviting me here, my spirits have lifted considerably.  It is the greatest Christmas gift I received.

I visited the other book forums already and it was like hearing from old friends.

Ginny, Joan P, Pat W. - Thank you, thankyou for starting this up.  If I can help in anyway, please let me know. --- And I truly mean this.  I know you will need more volunteers.  So if I can help, I will.

I changed my user name from Evelyn133 to EvelynMC.

Evelyn

Pat

• US 34, IL
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2008, 05:35:28 PM »
Welcome Evelyn.. --  So good to see that you are registered here.

I see you have found the Book Club Online discussion.
Keep in touch when they begin choosing a book ti discuss.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2008, 06:30:50 PM »
We think you're ALL wonderful - and you are appreciated!

Is there a way to get the notifications about new messages only when I click on the "show new replies to your posts" without getting an e-mail sent?  I can disable the e-mails, but when I do, I don't get the notification  in the "show new replies".  At least I think that's what happening.

manny

« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2008, 07:40:19 PM »
Hello everyone ! :)

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2008, 08:01:45 PM »
Welcome, Everybody! We are so glad to have you!

Welcome, Mary,  and thank you. Jane as you know is MUCH too modest, we could not survive without Jane and Pat here.

Good question: I don't know the answer to that one but I think we can find out,  one thing I've just noticed is that if somebody sends you an IM here then you get an email WITH the message in it, that's new to me and I love it, but I'll pass your question along to those who I know can answer.

I think the site can pretty much do anything, we are just learning it ourselves.

Love the big posting box, AND especially ALL of the former posts scrolling under this composition box, makes it so much easier to see what others have said, love it.

MANNY!!! MANNY is that YOU? HOoo! Welcome young Manny! so good to see you here, I'll run tell the 201 class you've come,  we're actually off till January 5 but I  know they will be excited to see our Manny!

(For those of you who don't know Manny, he wrote crossword puzzles for years for the New York Times and actually broke a record for construction of crossword puzzles  and is interviewed in the  movie Word Play in the bonus disks. And he's a heck of a great guy!) :)

OH and Evelyn, you, too? Huzzah! And Mary! And Mahlia, my goodness this is like old home week, HOORAY, and Andrea,   a lovely Christmas indeed, welcome welcome!

Pedln, look who is back!!!

PHYLL!! Welcome back and Pedln and Eloise, so good to see you all, ask any question you may have, if we don't know the answer we've got the best in the business to ask!

:)

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2008, 09:59:34 PM »
Mary...I don't get the email notifications, but the Show New Replies works for the discussions in which I've posted.  If you don't post, then no, you won't see it showing in Show New Replies, but a NEW icon will be where you've visited before.  You can post in a site, and then, of course, it will show up on Show New Replies.

I hope everyone had a wonderful day with family and/or friends.

jane

Mippy

« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2008, 05:39:45 AM »
No questions, just a really Big Thank You

to our wonderful Ginny

and to Jane and Pat !!!

It is hard to believe we are back together again after so long!

And to all ...

Happy New Year
  ....   a bit early ... why not?
quot libros, quam breve tempus

Pete7268

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2008, 06:06:59 AM »
Hiya Manny,
Great to see you back after such a long break.
I often think of you when I am stuck on a crossword clue. That means you are in my thoughts just about every day!!!!
Hope you are keeping well.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2008, 02:52:13 PM »
A friend of mine is in Seniornet under the name bontempo (not sure of the spelling). She doesn't post much, but loves to lurk.

She has trouble with her e-mail, so doesn't read it, So she didn't get the invitation. I told her to go into seniorlearn.org. But when she did, she got a webmaster page. What should she do?

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2008, 04:16:48 PM »
Is there any connection between y'all who started this set of discussions, and Pat Scott who started up seniorsandfriends.org? 

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2008, 05:13:18 PM »
Your questions are certainly welcome here - and should prove helpful to others experiencing the same difficulties.  One by one they will be addressed.

JoanK, your friend can't get into senior.learn.org yet - at least not until the homepage (in the making) is complete.  Until then, pass this url on to Bontempo and also to others who might like to come in:
www.seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php

Let us know if she has any trouble.