Author Topic: Click HERE to ask your questions/report a problem here.  (Read 93364 times)

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Re: Click HERE to ask your questions/report a problem here.
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2008, 05:19:30 PM »
Mary, I know what you mean about the notifications - they can drive you crazy!  If you look below the screen next to the REPLY button, you will see NOTIFY.  I once made the mistake of clicking that.  Try it to see if you have inadvertantly set yourself up to be bombarded with notifications.  Let us know if this works.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2008, 05:29:51 PM »
 - Ann Alden is finishing up her book discussion of 1000Suns which she started
in Pat's site, after which she will join us here.  That's the only connection I know of.

Mahlia, at this point I can't answer your question as to whether the Books and the Classics will be linked to another site.  Right now we are concentrating on continuing the book discussions and Latin classes- with no thought of anything beyond that.

JoanG- we've decided to follow the same guidelines as we did in SN - photos will be acceptable only if they relate to the book discussions.

If there are questions still unanswered, will you please continue to post them here?

Welocome, everyone!  We look forward to spending the New Year here with you!

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2008, 05:35:41 PM »
Joan P - thanks.  I've tried something new, and we'll see if that works.  On the "Notifications and e-mail" page under Profile, below the main box, there's a list of some discussions.  On mine, Library was listed.  To the left was an envelope.  I guess that meant to send e-mails.  There's a check-box to the right.  I clicked that, and then clicked the Unsubscribe button.  Maybe that's the key.  ;D

Another question:  on SN and on the Seniors & Friends sites, at the bottom of each page, on the left side, by the page numbers, it says "Page Up" (with the corresponding "Page Down" at the top of the message boxes.  These, of course, take you Up or Down.  Could those be added to these pages?
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2008, 05:57:32 PM »
Mary, yes, Jane has suggested that you go to the Profile.  Let us know if that helps.

If you right click on the scroll up/down arrow you should see a prompt to scroll up or down...try it and let us know if that works.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2008, 06:35:33 PM »
Oh Joan, of course we're interested in your family!  We've watched them grow.  I've sent you a message.  Let me know if you receive it?

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2008, 06:43:17 PM »
JoanP, the only up/down/scroll thing on the side is the one on my regular browser.  I know I can click the "home" or "end" button on my keyboard to go up or down instantly.  Just curious.  ;)
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Pat

• US 34, IL
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2008, 01:38:38 PM »
I have added the 'Go Up" & "go Down" buttons where MaryZ has asked about.  If there are no objections the buttons will remain.

Tomereader1

« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2008, 02:07:33 PM »
I found another section of this Senior group, that has most all of the regular discussions listed, but silly me, I didn't bookmark it, and now I can't find it.  will someone give me a title/heading so I can get back.  I know it has Soda Shoppe
then the other discussions, i.e. Computer, etc.

Appreciate any help.

Joanne
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2008, 02:24:33 PM »
Thanks, Pat - I noticed the "go up" button right away.

Joanne, I don't know how connected these two sites are.  The other one is

http://www.seniorsandfriends.org/index.php

Pat

• US 34, IL
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2008, 02:44:50 PM »
SeniorLearn is a site for Books and Latin Classes.
SeniorLearn was opened on a different server by Ginny and Joan Pearson.  Jane and I have helped with the tech side.

The Latin Classes are up and the students will return in January to try and make up the 6 weeks that SeniorNet took from them.  They lost half the course for which they paid a fee.

At the time that SeniorLearn obtained a server of their own, Senior Friends was a temporary site.

The books section will be adding discussions of individual books, as soon as our volunteers get organized. Check this link to Book Club Online to find out what JoanP has planned.

So if Books are your thing or you want to take a Latin Class, stay here and join the crowd.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2008, 10:13:58 AM »
Whee, Manny, so good to see you here.  Welcome back.  I do hope we'll see you in the Latin area this coming year, and in Books too.

sandyrose

« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2008, 11:41:13 AM »
Hi everyone.  Wow! Thank you Ginny and all who worked so hard to bring all this about. 

Manny....so great to hear from you.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2008, 01:54:08 PM »
I haven't talked to Bontempo for several days. Last I heard, she had gotten into the site, registered, but then it wouldn't recognize her. I'll keep you up to date.

ginny

• Administrator
  • A day without Latin is like a day without sunshine
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2008, 02:37:44 PM »
She is registered, ask her to be sure she's logged in? She needs to do that one time on the main page: http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php, and never logout and it will recognize her when she returns. She needs to be sure it's saying Hello bontempo on the left hand top of the page.

Ask her to write Jane or Pat if she continues to have problems?

Marjorie

• San Jose, CA
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2008, 02:44:13 PM »
Hi SandyRose.

gingerw

• Michigan
« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2008, 08:21:20 PM »
Thanks Joan P for inviting me here. Thanks also to Jane for helping me get here. Glad to be here and able to read the posts again.
Ginger

Pat

• US 34, IL
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2008, 10:34:28 PM »
Hi Ginger.  Glad you made it.

This site is a lot like the one that just crashed.

gingerw

• Michigan
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2008, 11:54:17 PM »
Thanks Pat. I have just be traveling all over in here not posting much just getting the feel of things and like what I have seen.
Ginger

Steph

connecting
« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2008, 10:46:20 AM »
When I got my email from Ginny, I was onthe road in the RV.. Used the laptop and got through right away. I am now home and when i type in www.seniorlean.org, I get something called Host Monster.. What am I doing wrong. I want to put this on my home computer..
Stephanie and assorted corgi

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2008, 10:49:34 AM »
You're not doing anything wrong, Steph.  The home page for seniorlearn.org is under construction.  Maybe we should put it up anyway - but in the meantime we are all using this magic url to get to the Book discussions -
Please make a note, we don't want to lose you!

www.seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php

Steph

magic
« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2008, 06:41:46 PM »
Wow.. I gave it one more shot and boom.. I got you Booked it into bookmarks, so I should be fine. Thanks ever so.. Dont want to lose anyone again. I did love the old senior net, but the new one defeated me.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: December 31, 2008, 06:58:36 PM »
And here's another New Year's present:

http://www.seniorlearn.org

Our new home page!

Who will be the first to find it on google (it's not there yet!)

In a day or so we should have to only have to remember SeniorLearn!

The one Joan P gave is  the best one to bookmark because it shows the index of all the discussions but the new home page is a good one to tell people, if they can just remember SeniorLearn!

Can't wait till google picks it up!

We don't want to lose you again, Stephanie!

Happy New Year, Everybody!

Pete7268

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2009, 06:00:35 AM »
HAPPY NEW YEAR

Great new homepage.

Gumtree

« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2009, 07:06:38 AM »
Congratulations !!! Home Page is something to be proud of. Photos of members - real people - was a great idea as is the Member Profile.  Terrific!!!
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

gingerw

• Michigan
« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2009, 10:32:15 AM »
What did I do wrong my time and temp don't show. I thought it did yesterday. Are they not allowed here if so that's ok, no problem as the young say  :)
Ginger

ALF43

• BooksDL
« Reply #65 on: January 01, 2009, 03:56:42 PM »
I just googled us @ seniorlearn.org and saw a picture of Mary and Annie.  How cool is that?  We have been GOOGLED!  I clicked on Book Discussions and it brought me right up to the index page.
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

jane

• Administrator
  • NE Iowa
« Reply #66 on: January 01, 2009, 04:05:36 PM »
Ginger...

I don't know the answer to your question about the weather/time thingy. I know it bothers a lot of people to have them in the sig line and flashing.

We'll have to wait until we can get an answer from Ginny.

jane

Tomereader1

« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2009, 03:33:47 PM »
Someone said "Mystery" would be up soon.  I haven't found it yet.  Is it here somewhere?
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

jane

• Administrator
  • NE Iowa
« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2009, 03:43:20 PM »
Tomereader...I believe they're still putting the finishing touches on it.  It'll be out very soon, I'm sure.

jane

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2009, 06:59:19 PM »
Tomereader: any time. I'll come here and post the link.

gingerw

• Michigan
« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2009, 07:04:51 PM »
Thanks Jane. I don't need it.
Ginger

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: January 04, 2009, 07:55:15 AM »
Here's a nice feature: you can see the Mystery Corner by looking below the last message here for the blue bars?

Under them you'll see a drop down arrow and the words Jump to:

If you click the arrow you'll see the new Mystery Corner and all sorts of other great things.  You may have to scroll a little as this website expands but they're all there, if it's out, it's there.

Try it, you'll like it. :)

MarjV

« Reply #72 on: January 04, 2009, 09:33:37 AM »
A thought - in time will you be adding a link for donations to help defray the cost of running the website?

~Marj

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: January 04, 2009, 12:35:55 PM »
No but what a nice thought, thank you! Very kind.

The website is funded by the tuition of the Latin students and we don't need any more, but we appreciate your fine attitude!

Thank you.

TeacupFran

« Reply #74 on: January 04, 2009, 07:55:54 PM »
New to seniorlearn area.   Used to the old Senior Net bunch of discussions and method of posting.
What does the Post number has to do with the reply number?       

Is the reply chronological and related to the  Post number (i.e. answering that post number?

Teacup Fran

jane

• Administrator
  • NE Iowa
« Reply #75 on: January 04, 2009, 08:37:56 PM »
Fran....

The Post number over on the left under your name is the number of posts you've made total at this site.  It will stay the same for a bit, and then somehow it catches up.  We really don't care, but we don't know any way to shut it off.

The REPLY number is the number of messages in that discussion.  Yours above was #74 IN this Help/Questions/Problems discussion.  There are 40 posts on a "page" before we get to the next page of posts, etc.

There is, therefore, no real correlation between the Posts number (Your number of posts made) and the Reply number (the number of posts in the particular discussion you're in).

The Replies/messages in a discussion are in chronological order, yes, as they were at SeniorNet. 

I hope this answers your questions.

jane

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #76 on: January 04, 2009, 08:43:15 PM »
FRAN: welcome!

Pat

• US 34, IL
« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2009, 08:58:05 AM »
Fran -- if you want to answer a person's particular post, click on quote at the top of their message.

A reply box will appear with the quote there.  Then after this tag, [ /quote] starting typing your answer.

EvelynMC

« Reply #78 on: January 05, 2009, 03:46:49 PM »
Fran -- if you want to answer a person's particular post, click on quote at the top of their message.

A reply box will appear with the quote there.  Then after this tag, [ /quote] starting typing your answer.

Thanks, Pat.  I never could figure how to use this quote thing and your explanation has made it easy.

Evelyn

Persian

« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2009, 05:10:39 PM »
Is this also the "how to" site to inquire about how to re-instate my photo alongside my posting name?  I attempted that exercise a few years ago, but gave up after not really understanding how to do it and sought Marcie's help.  Within a couple of hours, the photo was there.   If this is NOT the correct site, please redirect me.  Many thanks.

Mahlia