Author Topic: Click HERE to ask your questions/report a problem here.  (Read 96418 times)

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
Re: Click HERE to ask your questions/report a problem here.
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2009, 08:16:20 PM »
Mahlia...

1. You need to have your photo at a third site...like photobucket where you can get a free account.  That address is http://www.photobucket.com 

If you don't have a third site, you can send it to me at janeiowa@gmail.com and I'll upload it to a photobucket account I have and I"ll send you the url for you to put in your profile.  A square photo works best, since the software will square the photo and if it's not already square, you will look squished.

2. Once you have that url, click on Profile

3. Then click on Forum Profile Settings

4. You'll put a dot in the I have my own pic: (and here's where you put the url for your photo)

5. Go to the bottom of the profile page and click on Save Profile/Change Profile or whatever it says there.

jane

Marjorie

• San Jose, CA
« Reply #81 on: January 11, 2009, 12:32:36 AM »
Jane:  when I put the beach avatar in my Profile, I just said I would upload it myself and found the small image on my computer and it was uploaded.  I clicked on browse and located the image.  Is there some reason using photobucket is better?

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: January 11, 2009, 02:32:55 AM »
Whatever works for you is fine, Marjorie.  I like photobucket because I can use the url for wherever I want to display my photos. 

If people want to upload theirs to this server, that's fine. I've just never used that feature.

Marjorie

• San Jose, CA
« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2009, 01:26:38 AM »
Jane:  I am just starting to use photobucket so it was easier for me that the software allowed me to upload directly.  Photobucket has some nice features but I am still learning my way around there.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: January 14, 2009, 09:13:21 AM »
It looks as if you have it now, Marjorie!  Photobucket used to be easier than it is now. They've "improved" it, I guess...and it's harder to get the url than it was a couple months ago. Sigh!

MarjV

« Reply #85 on: January 16, 2009, 04:14:23 PM »
Is there any plan to have the "Rubbish" game on this SeniorLearn.   Love that game.

Pat

• US 34, IL
« Reply #86 on: January 16, 2009, 06:21:43 PM »
Rubbish kept changing, but was always  a fun game that moved fast and was really quite interesting just to read -- especially when explanations accompanied the post

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #87 on: January 16, 2009, 06:37:45 PM »
Are there any plans to merge seniorlearn.org with seniorsandfriends.org?
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Pat

• US 34, IL
« Reply #88 on: January 16, 2009, 08:42:15 PM »
I doubt very much that that will happen.

This site is free.
Seniors&Friends are asking for donations.

We want to concentrate on the Latin Classes and Book discussions.
Seniors&Friends are more for those who like chatting and visiting and
reading what everyone is doing.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #89 on: January 16, 2009, 10:40:09 PM »
Sounds like a plan, Pat.  It wasn't a suggestion - just a question.  I love both sites.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

ginny

• Administrator
  • A day without Latin is like a day without sunshine
« Reply #90 on: January 17, 2009, 04:55:41 PM »
Mary, I have to tell you, I've been pondering where to say this, the expression in your picture is the sweetest thing.    I love it.  Is that the one taken with you and Jane?  You look MAHVELOUS,  hahaaa (and she does, too) :)

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #91 on: January 17, 2009, 07:58:45 PM »
Thanks, ginny.  It's VERY flattering.  Yep, John took this photo of jane and me when we were able to get together in south Texas a couple of weeks ago.  And jane was kind enough to isolate me from the photo so I could use it here.  jane's photo was really good, too!

JudeS

« Reply #92 on: January 19, 2009, 03:45:18 PM »
Dear Friends,
Thank you for the help you've given me to find a way to return to this site.  It was also comforting to find out that others have various and sundry problems regarding different aspects of connecting with you.
I see my vote counted in the runoff for choosing a book for Feb. I will definitely be part of that discussion.
Now, one last question which you may be able to help me with..
How do I get to the WREX site?  I feel like a simpleton asking what is probably a no-brainer for others. Nevertheless I am swallowing my tattered pride and asking for advice.  Please be very specific about the steps to get there as I am a "non-computer" kind of person. (Guessed that, didn't you?).
Again  I want to send a huge thanks to Ginny,Pat and JoanP who were kind enough to help me.
JudeS

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: January 19, 2009, 04:00:25 PM »
Hi, Jude...

Welcome!

To the best of my knowledge, there is no WREX site at this time.  The one at SN is inaccessible, as far as I know, and I don't believe a new one has been set up anywhere else on the internet. 

jane

Tomereader1

« Reply #94 on: January 30, 2009, 04:14:15 PM »
I have tried to get into  Srs. &  Friends this afternoon (this morn. it worked fine) now it's telling me "this account has been suspended", but the heading reads "photograpy cafe" and I don't currently, nor have ever belonged to that group.  What is the matter here?   Trying to access the Classical Music board not photography.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Tomereader1

« Reply #95 on: January 30, 2009, 04:20:52 PM »
All of Seniors and Friends is rolling to "Photography Cafe" which says "Account Suspended"   Even if I click on "personal messages" and put it in my browser, it shows Photography Cafe.  I DO NOT GET NOTIFICATIONS FROM PHOTOGRAPHY CAFE and have only visited there one time.  Somebody needs to get right on this problem.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Tomereader1

« Reply #96 on: January 30, 2009, 04:28:48 PM »
I can get into SeniorLearn, without the suspend notice showing.
What shows when I try to access the other board, SrsandFriends, is this:
http://www.photography-cafe.com/suspended.page/

André Maurois

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #97 on: January 30, 2009, 04:48:07 PM »
I'm getting the same "suspended" message.

CallieinOK

« Reply #98 on: January 30, 2009, 04:48:47 PM »
I came in to ask about Seniors&Friends and see that others have also gotten the "Account Suspended" screen.  The one I got didn't even have the Photography Cafe heading.

Even though the two sites are separate, I hope someone will post here if/when any information is forthcoming.

Read on!!!
Callie

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #99 on: January 30, 2009, 06:00:06 PM »
I can get into SeniorLearn, without the suspend notice showing.
What shows when I try to access the other board, SrsandFriends, is this:
http://www.photography-cafe.com/suspended.page/

I don't know why that message is appearing there.    

Please remember, there is NO connection between Seniors&Friends and this site, SeniorLearn, other than that a lot of the same people post at both. Two different websites, two different people owning the two different sites.  The focus of the two websites is different. THIS website, SeniorLearn, is about Books and Literature and the Classics, and things related to those areas of focus.

jane

CallieinOK

« Reply #100 on: January 30, 2009, 06:21:25 PM »
I know that, Jane and have no intention of trying to combine the two.  After I  posted here, I read in another SeniorLearn folder that others were also questioning the situation.

I won't mention it again.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #101 on: January 30, 2009, 07:43:56 PM »
Callie...I was responding to someone who noted she could get in here and  that message was not HERE.  I was simply trying to point out that the two websites are not related, so an error message at one site wouldn't have anything to do with another website.  That's the point I was trying to make, obviously not well.   :-\

Sorry for not making myself clearer.

jane

CallieinOK

« Reply #102 on: January 30, 2009, 08:46:26 PM »
Not a problem, Jane.  I'm thoroughly enjoying wandering around the various discussions here.  :)

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #103 on: January 30, 2009, 09:33:15 PM »
Terrific!

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #104 on: January 30, 2009, 11:44:41 PM »
Seniors and Friends was down for awhile today.  It is now being moved to an new server.  So it will be back Folks.  Also I am sure that they will let you know from there when they are back.

And as has been stated before that site is not affiliated with us here at Seniorlearn.

Joan G.
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

ginny

• Administrator
  • A day without Latin is like a day without sunshine
« Reply #105 on: January 31, 2009, 09:38:07 AM »
I appreciate everybody's concern over site problems,  it's good to have a place to find out what you can.

This site, SeniorLearn, is lucky to have a server with unlimited size, which we chose carefully, knowing the traffic our Latin classes and Books generate. They do regular backups (they just did one this morning, for instance)  so even IF we go down, and we might, it IS the internet after all, cross your fingers,  we will be up in a trice, they promise 99.9 percent on air time.

That said, Callie, I am so glad you are enjoying looking in  to the various areas here.  I love the Library particularly, the conversation is so free flowing,  very interesting to read the  credit card horror stories, that it's a pleasure to visit and more discussions like it  are coming.

You'd think that a site only dedicated to the printed word, books, and Latin  would not go, but it's soaring (something which would have been unheard of in 1996)  and we appreciate each of you more than you know!

Thank you for being here, and helping each other,  and for caring about whatever site you are on:  loyalty is priceless.

Pat

• US 34, IL
« Reply #106 on: January 31, 2009, 10:44:46 AM »
Hi Callie,  Can I put you back on my BookBytes list.
It will keep you up-to-date on what's happening here.

Tomereader1

« Reply #107 on: January 31, 2009, 01:46:14 PM »
Jane, in reference to your Reply #99.  The only reason I posted my message in Senior Learn was because I could not access anything in the Seniors & Friends area, and I thought perhaps someone on Senior Learn could advise the persons who run S&F that the site was behaving peculiarly.  I didn't mean to cause any kind of debate about what sites are what!  I'm glad we've finally been advised of the server update and will be able to get in later.

Thanks

André Maurois

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #108 on: January 31, 2009, 02:34:22 PM »
CALLIE: I got several copies of this e-mail today. Don't ask me why I'm on their list and you aren't.

"We've been growing and now we are moving to a new server.  Oldiesmann will be creating a backup and then the move will take place asap.

We will put the forum into maintenance mode while the backup is being created so that we won't miss anyone's posts.

DNS will then take place and this sometimes takes at least 24 hours to do.  So, our little Mini Challenge that is supposed to be voted on will be put on hold for a couple of days.

My email address is patzscott@gmail.com so please keep in touch if you are not able to access the site after the move.

Thanks so much,

Regards,
The Seniors & Friends Team."

CallieinOK

« Reply #109 on: January 31, 2009, 02:35:51 PM »
Pat, I check here several times a day so can usually find out what everyone is talking about.  Thank you for offering to put me back on Book Bytes.

I was a volunteer "host" on the old SeniorNet so am familiar with how the sites, forums, folders, discussions, etc. work.

I'm really thrilled to have a site just for Book lovers and readers - 'specially with so many familiar names participating.  Applause and Gratitude to those responsible for setting this up.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #110 on: January 31, 2009, 04:45:08 PM »
Jane, in reference to your Reply #99.  The only reason I posted my message in Senior Learn was because I could not access anything in the Seniors & Friends area, and I thought perhaps someone on Senior Learn could advise the persons who run S&F that the site was behaving peculiarly.  I didn't mean to cause any kind of debate about what sites are what!  I'm glad we've finally been advised of the server update and will be able to get in later.

Thanks

OK...  There's been a lot of confusion by some people who thought the two sites were the same or they can't figure out where they are, etc.  Since lots of the same people post in both, I guess that's understandable, but I was just trying to point out that they are two distinct sites and so on different servers, etc.

I'm sure that the Administrators  gets a message automatically when there's a problem with their server. At least that happens here so those folks know something is amiss.

gingerw

• Michigan
« Reply #111 on: February 14, 2009, 08:00:52 PM »
Pat West.

I have been having some problems with comcast.net so moved to a new address and it is:

Baudette9033@sbcglobal.net

Please send me the book bytes and update my email address in my profile as this site won't let me.

I tried to email you at winco but my email was returned.

If there is any thing you want me to do just let me know as I am here for books learn and all.

Ginger Wright on ole S/N and gingerW here.

Ginger
Ginger

Pat

• US 34, IL
« Reply #112 on: February 14, 2009, 08:45:50 PM »
Ginger,  --  I got your email and answered you about 2 minutes ago.
I'll see if I can update that and let you know.

EDIT:  Ginger --  I changed your email to Baudette9033@sbcglobal.net

gingerw

• Michigan
« Reply #113 on: February 14, 2009, 10:34:28 PM »
Thanks Pat, I owe you one,  :)
Ginger

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #114 on: February 15, 2009, 12:24:13 PM »
Ginger, I see your new address just now and will change my address book.  How are things with you?  Where are you spending the winter?

straudetwo

• BooksDL
  • Massachusetts
« Reply #115 on: February 16, 2009, 05:58:37 PM »
Regarding WREX.

JudeS,  Seniors & Friends has opened a Writers' Nook where the former Wrexers are congregating. Some have posted stories there,  some long, some short. All enjoyable.

juliak

« Reply #116 on: February 19, 2009, 10:34:12 AM »
Where can I change my password?
Juliak

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #117 on: February 19, 2009, 11:13:37 AM »
Click on PROFILE in the blue tool bar.

Then select Account Related Settings from the right sidebar

Near the bottom is a place to choose a new password, verify it, and put in your current one that you're changing from.

Then click on CHANGE PROFILE at the bottom of that page.

jane

hats

« Reply #118 on: February 26, 2009, 07:56:09 AM »
I'm always behind everybody else. Now, I want to learn how to blog. I think at the first Senior Home site there was a folder about blogging. Will any ideas for learning or improving blogging be given on the SeniorLearn site? Thank you.

ALF43

• BooksDL
« Reply #119 on: February 26, 2009, 08:05:34 AM »
Jane, I want to change the ANDY under my post to a quote.  How do I do that?
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell