Scheduled & Proposed Book Discussions > Suggestions for Future Bookclub Online Discussions

Suggestion Box for Future Book Discussions ~

(1/272) > >>

BooksAdmin:

Polls are now open to choose  Bookclub Online titles for JULY and AUGUST Discussion!

VOTE HERE UNTIL JUNE 8!

TitleAuthorAdventures of Huckleberry Finn                    ClemensThe Lacuna                    KingsolverFrankenstein                    ShelleyDracula                    StokerGulliver's Travels                    SwiftFrom the Beast to the Blonde: On Fairy Tales and Their Tellers                    Warner

JoanP:
Good morning! 
Some of you have been posting suggestions for future book discussions -  in various locations - the Library, the Fiction discussions  etc. (The first two titles in the chart came out of these discussions.) We  seem to need this central space to post all suggestions, which we will  consider  for future discussion.  Just post the name and title here and something you know about the book.  This should be fun!

I've just nominated Dicken's last work- unfinished: The Mystery of Edwin Drood. I'd never heard of it until recently, have you? It seems to have captured the imaginations of several fiction writers:  Matthew Pearl's The Last Dickens and Dan Simmon's Drood, the Novel.
 I know for sure I want to read Dicken's work, and maybe we can consider reading one of the other two along with it?

How about you - Is there something you would like to discuss along with the group?

marcie:
Joan, The Mystery of Edwin Drood sounds like an interesting read...especially in conjunction with another novel and/or film. There have been several films and a musical related to the story. Dicken's unfinished novel is available for reading online at several places including http://charlesdickenspage.com/drood.html. (CAUTION: the plot is described at this link but there is also another link at the top to the actual novel).

It would be fun to discuss the novel and one or more of the other renditions.

JoanP:
Matthew Pearl's book is scheduled to be published on March 19 - it's been well received in England.  I'm going to nominate it and put it in the chart with Dicken's Drood as soon as I can get a link for it.

hats:
JoanP,

I just happened upon this title. I am not familiar with the author, Dan Simmons. There seems to be high interest in Dickens' Drood.

http://features.csmonitor.com/books/2009/02/23/drood/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version