Author Topic: Suggestion Box for Future Book Discussions ~  (Read 271433 times)

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Re: Suggestion Box for Future Book Discussions ~
« Reply #1240 on: June 16, 2014, 09:31:29 AM »

Titles are all linked to reviews or descriptions

Title
Author
Lucky Jim          Kingsley Amis
My Reading Life Pat Conroy
Monuments Men Robert Edsel
Girls of Atomic City: The Untold Story of the Women Who Helped Win World War IIDenise Kiernan
Washington's Spies: The Story of America's First Spy Ring         Alexander Rose
Uncle Tom's Cabin         Harriet Beecher Stowe

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1241 on: June 22, 2014, 01:52:40 PM »
We have a 3-way tie for our next month's discussion. Help us decide on a book for July. Vote now at https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/77TM6S7

The books are:
Girls of Atomic City: The Untold Story of the Women Who Helped Win World War II by Denise Kiernan
The Greater Journey - Americans in Paris by David McCullough
Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis

mrssherlock

« Reply #1242 on: June 22, 2014, 02:28:43 PM »
Lucky Jim sounds good but the combination of Americans in Paris and David McCullough is too much to pass up!
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1243 on: June 22, 2014, 08:02:39 PM »
Well, I had a preference, but any of the three would make a good discussion.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #1244 on: June 23, 2014, 07:03:42 AM »
I agree with both of you! 
On the road this weekend...home this afternoon to check on the progress of the vote!

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #1245 on: June 23, 2014, 12:37:35 PM »
What happened to the book about the sister of Ben Franklin;   
that sounded good.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #1246 on: June 23, 2014, 04:41:26 PM »
It was outvoted, Ella - in the first vote.  This is the run-off, the top three.  Again, it is very, very close!

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #1247 on: June 30, 2014, 09:06:51 AM »
Breaking news...we have a winner in the recent vote... Again it was close!  So close that we are going to include the two also-rans in the consideration for the next group discussion.

Since it is nearly July (!) we will begin the July Book Club Online in mid July - July 14, to be exact!  Bastille Day!  Does that tell you which title came in first?

David McCullough's The Greater Journey: Americans in Paris

Come join us in July as we discover what caught David McCullough's attention about this particular period in history- the until now, untold story of the adventurous American artists, writers, doctors, politicians, and others who set off for Paris in the years between 1830 and 1900 -  and how "their achievments would profoundly alter American history."

We hope you have time to get a copy of this book - it was published in 2011 and should be readily available at most libraries.  You'll notice it is a big fat book - lots of photographs too.  We'll take our time with it...into August.  Maybe even skip around in it if posters wish to do that...

Please join us in the newly-opened discussion today...we hope to see you there  - at The Greater Journey:Americans in Paris

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #1248 on: August 01, 2014, 02:10:38 PM »
August ALREADY!  Time to start the nominations for a September Book Club Online selection!

AS promised, we're putting several of those who came in close behind David McCullough's Americans in Paris back into the mix.  Ella was looking for the interesting story of Ben Franklin's daughter in Jill Lepore's THE BOOK OF AGES; THE LIFE AND OPINIONS OF JANE FRANKLIN     so we've added that to the heading.

Feel free to nominate all through the coming week.  This is the fun part, isn't it?  You never know what our readers will come up with!    

Here's what we have so far:

Nominations for September Book Club Online

Titles are all linked to reviews or descriptions

Check the heading for the most current list of nominated titles.

CallieOK

« Reply #1249 on: August 01, 2014, 05:01:53 PM »
Joan,  I'm trying to read The Book of Ages.  It's supposed to be about correspondence between Ben Franklin and his sister, Jane,  but the author seems to be writing about everyone except that Jane Franklin.  I'm struggling.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #1250 on: August 01, 2014, 06:08:08 PM »
That's good to know, Callie.   Did you hear that, Ella? Do you think you'll finish, Callie?  Let us know if it picks up...and if Jane makes an entrance... :D

CallieOK

« Reply #1251 on: August 01, 2014, 07:27:33 PM »
Oh, Jane has already "made an entrance"; she just doesn't have very much to say....yet!

I'll keep at it and report back.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #1252 on: August 01, 2014, 07:35:54 PM »
Good!  I wonder why Jane doesn't speak up?

Maybe it's because we're deeply submerged in 19th century France,  reading David McCullough's Greater Journey , but I'm feeling the urge to nominate  a translation of one of Victor Hugo's two novels novels, familiar to all because of the film and theatre adaptations -

I'm torn between his Les Miserables and Notre Dame de Paris, in English and in Disney-speak, known as The Hunchback of Notre Dame.  I wonder if we have spent too much time in France...in  the 19th century. What do you think?

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #1253 on: August 02, 2014, 12:11:47 AM »
Ok I would love it if we got out of the nineteenth century and for that matter out of Europe - we have read a steady stream of lit from either France or Britain all set in the nineteenth century - we didn't even break it up with a novel from either Ireland, Scandinavia much less Italy - now Germany I can understand - very few catchy stories from the Germans - but regardless what about a complete change of pace. Something contemporary from author I do not think we ever read as a group - I would like to suggest Grisham - we could have a blast with all the legal stuff - his newer Sycamore Row has Ford County coming to terms with its history of racism. Plus the book is just old enough it should be easy to borrow at the public libraries.

Another that I think Sally has read and I have recently ordered that really sounds interesting - Washington's Spies: The Story of America's First Spy Ring - not nineteenth century, eighteenth but more, it is an American story through and through - I am only hearing of late the wonders of this man that at this stage in our history I think many of us take him for granted. Plus who would have dreamed he had a cadre of spies - certainly not learned about in 6th grade American History of even 2nd year high American History.

I would love to do Hunchback but not know - it would make a perfect January or February book when we are wrapping ourselves in lap shawls and drinking hot tea while we snuggle down to read. Did you see the musical - it did not take here in the States so I think it only played in D.C. but played for a couple of years in Canada  - here is a Youtube of one of the featured songs - I just love their voices. Patrick Fiori is one of my favorites and I have several of his CDs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23EIjQ4Nxnw
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

mabel1015j

« Reply #1254 on: August 02, 2014, 12:56:32 AM »
Are you looking for both fiction and non-fiction books? If we are doing both, i suggest

Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd (fiction) about Sarah Grimke growing up on a slave owning plantation and being appalled that she was given a slave on her 11th birthday. She becomes a major abolitionist and she and her sister are the first women who speak to sexually integrated groups about slavery. But the book is primarily about Sarah's life and slave life. It tells the real lives of the legally enslaved, but also the "psychology" enslaved - everyone in the environment. It sounds grime but Kidd manages to include some wit, even among the slaves.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_13?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=the+invention+of+wings+by+sue+monk+kidd&sprefix=Invention+of+%2Cdigital-text%2C361

I also suggest American Women by Gail Collins, a NYT reporter. It's 400 years of women's lives in American history, also with some wit.
http://www.amazon.com/Americas-Women-P-S-Gail-Collins-ebook/dp/B000NJL71E/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1406955569&sr=1-1&keywords=gail+collins+america%27s+women

Jean

Frybabe

« Reply #1255 on: August 02, 2014, 06:37:48 AM »
I have to agree with you Barb. The Hunchback of Notre Dame has been on my TBR pile a long, long time. Maybe a discussion would give me the incentive to move it from that pile to the bookshelf.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1256 on: August 02, 2014, 12:06:18 PM »
I think we were waiting for THE MONUMENTS MEN to come out in paperback, which it is now.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #1257 on: August 02, 2014, 12:32:45 PM »
That's right, Marcie.  We were waiting for Monuments Men and The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry to become available.  So, let's put Monuments Men up there since it is now in paperback...  I understand the book is more enjoyable than the movie (sorry G. Clooney fans!)
Monuments Men

Let's keep Hunchback of Notre Dame on our list here for future reading for the future then.  There seems to be interest, just not right now, though, steeped in France as we are...

Barb, will add Alexander Rose's Washington's Spies: The Story of America's First Spy Ring to the heading to see if it sparks the interest of our readers.  Let us know what you think of it before we vote.

I think it's interesting that the subject of racism in America has come up in a number of nominations here.  Is it just a coincidence?

- Sycamore Row

- Jean, yes, we vote on both Fiction and NonFiction for the group discussions.  Will add Gail Collins' America's Women to the heading.  

I read the review of Sue Monk Kidd's The Invention of Wings, and note the influence of Harriet Beecher Stowe's Uncle Tom's Cabin
We've been reading of Harriet's time in Paris and the period in which she wrote UTC (1852).  It's been so long - really really long since I read Uncle Tom.  I'm wondering if anyone else would be interested in reading BOTH of these books in September?  Or should we consider them separately?

Steph

« Reply #1258 on: August 04, 2014, 08:52:44 AM »
I staggered through this, but the movie was considerably easier, but not as complete.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

kidsal

• Howdy from Rock Springs, WY
« Reply #1259 on: August 07, 2014, 08:25:34 AM »
Monuments Men is an interesting book but the movie was a disappointment.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #1260 on: August 08, 2014, 10:52:52 AM »
That's good to know about Monuments Men,the book, kidsal - I suspected as much!

We are close to the first vote to pare down the interesting suggestions you can see in the heading.  Anything else you'd like to see included?

I've just added Harriet Beecher Stowe's Uncle Tom's Cabin - as suggested in this month's discussion of David McCullough's American in Paris.  It seems we are all familiar with the title, even some of the characters  and the importance of HB Stowe's first novel...but few of us have read it - or remember reading it.  Please consider this title when you make your selection - if you are one of those who thinks it's about time to read a book that had such an influence on the Civil War...

mabel1015j

« Reply #1261 on: August 08, 2014, 05:24:48 PM »
I think Pat Conroy's My Reading Life might be a good discussion. We can talk about his writing, the books he mentions and their characters, the "characters" he's met along the way in his life and the issues he talks about. I know some others of you are reading it, what do you think?

So many on the list of suggestions look interesting - can we just work our way through this list for the next year? ;D

Jean

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #1262 on: August 08, 2014, 10:12:05 PM »
Added the Conroy...It sounds like a good one, Jean!  I know you were joking about doing all of them - we've considered that in the past, but by the time we work down the list, people have either finished the book or want to nominate something other than the list.  If the vote is really close, we will consider taking the runner-up though...

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #1263 on: August 08, 2014, 11:29:09 PM »
whew quite a list of diverse topics to consider - the list is all over the map - this one should be fun to see what happens
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1264 on: August 09, 2014, 11:57:21 AM »
So many on the list of suggestions look interesting - can we just work our way through this list for the next year? ;D
Jean
One problem we always have to deal with is being sure we have enough active participants to make for a good discussion.  That's why we always have a vote--if enough people vote for a book, we figure it will be good.  Unfortunately, some books that would make good discussions fall through the cracks that way.  Any ideas for improving our selection process would be welcome.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #1265 on: August 09, 2014, 04:24:24 PM »
I think it is like going to the library - there are only a certain number of books either allowed to be borrowed or a realistic number of books that can be read in the time allotted and so some books that look good we say, next time - and then when next time comes we have different interests and other books catch our fancy - so like our mom's said, our eyes are bigger than our tummy.  

mabel1015j

« Reply #1266 on: August 09, 2014, 06:45:17 PM »
 :D  :D  :D

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #1267 on: August 15, 2014, 12:10:51 PM »

SEPTEMBER BOOK CLUB ONLINE SELECTION -  VOTE NOW!  VOTE AGAIN! VOTE HERE

It should come as no surprise when we had so many nominations, that we need a SECOND VOTE to come up with a winner. Please drop in HERE  to vote again and break the ties! Some wonderful nominations - if only we can settle on one of them!

This time, we ask you to answer TWO questions> 1. Which is your first choice?
2. Check any or all books you would be willing to discuss if the book wins the vote.

BeckiC

« Reply #1268 on: August 18, 2014, 12:10:47 AM »
Eyes were bigger than my stomach sure is a true statement for me. I had high hopes of joining in on The Greater Journey:Americans in Paris discussion. I had the book and was at Chapter 2 but fell completely out due to reading Elizabeth Gaskell's hefty North and South for my book club here. I was also reading The Invention of Wings and The Fiery Cross as well. Why?? The holds all come in at once. Whew!
I wanted to say thank you for the warm welcomes you all extended to me weeks ago. I feel embarrassed and slightly ashamed of myself for not seeing them sooner and replying immediately with a heartfelt thank you. What a great group. I am hoping to fall in with you all for the next book. There are some interesting choices.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1269 on: August 18, 2014, 12:37:10 AM »
Becki, thanks for letting us know. As fellow book lovers we completely understand "too many books; too little time."  ;)

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #1270 on: August 18, 2014, 03:05:45 AM »
There she is Mrs American - just remembering the tune and saying glad to see you among us again and thanks for the update on your reading - pop in when ever  you can - the library is a great place to add a thought that is not attached to a book we are currently reading - let us know about what you are reading - others may be reading or have read the same book and that is always fun to know.

Frybabe

« Reply #1271 on: August 18, 2014, 04:43:57 PM »
Interesting find considering Uncle Tom's Cabin is on our voting list. My PBS station is running The Search for Josiah Henson...the Man Behind the Story of Uncle Tom's Cabin: A Time Team America Special tomorrow night at 8PM. If I remember, I'll watch it.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #1272 on: August 18, 2014, 04:51:55 PM »
Tomorrow night at 8.  I'll be watching with you, Fry!

Have you voted?  Second vote is very, very tight right now.

Frybabe

« Reply #1273 on: August 18, 2014, 05:17:44 PM »
Yes I did JoanP, and Uncle Tom's Cabin, though not my top pick is on my short list.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1274 on: August 18, 2014, 05:42:26 PM »
Becki, what did you think of the Gaskell?  We read her Wives and Daughters a few months ago, and liked it very much.

BeckiC

« Reply #1275 on: August 19, 2014, 09:56:59 PM »
Oh Marcie...exactly!

Barb..thank you for leading me to the library discussion. I hope to contribute there now and again.

Pat..Gaskell's North and South was a slight slow starter but once I was in a few chapters I was hooked. Gaskell took on the Industrial Age, social class issues, human connection, spiritual tenacity, loss and love all without it ever feeling false or preachy. Margaret Hale is a strong female character that elicits compassion and respect. Oh and did I mention it's a love story? Who knew?!
We also read Cranford and I liked them both. I may have to check out Wives and Daughters soon.
Becki aka Mrs. America ;)

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #1276 on: August 20, 2014, 12:15:06 PM »
We are just finishing our nonfiction book THE GREATER JOURNEY by McCullough, as all of you know.  

It was a good discussion, many participants and I think a nonfiction book elicits that kind of discussion.

Therefore, I want to nominate another one for the future:  THE BULLY PULPIT: Theodore Roosevet. Wlliam Howard Taft, and the Golden Age of Journalism by Doris Kearns Goodwin.  We disclussed her previous book - TEAM OF RIVALS - a few years ago and she is an exceptionally good writer.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #1277 on: August 20, 2014, 01:01:15 PM »
Thanks Ella.  Will put your nomination in the heading just as soon as we can come up with September's title!

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #1278 on: August 29, 2014, 11:40:47 AM »
We'll be announcing the September Book Club Online very soon now.  Since it's been back and forth through both of the votes, we are trying to consider everyone's interest.
If you haven't voted yet, you have until the end of the day tomorrow before we close the polls. (The link to the polls is in the heading - the first post on this page.)

BeckiC

« Reply #1279 on: August 31, 2014, 10:04:34 AM »
Hello,
A number of you have BooksDL under your names. May I inquire the meaning behind it?
Just a curious soul. :)
Thanks. Becki