Author Topic: Suggestion Box for Future Book Discussions ~  (Read 271427 times)

mrssherlock

Re: Suggestion Box for Future Book Discussions ~ Vote Here
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2009, 01:00:07 AM »

Polls are now open to choose  Bookclub Online titles for JULY and AUGUST Discussion!

VOTE HERE UNTIL JUNE 8!

Title
Author
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn                    Clemens
The Lacuna                    Kingsolver
Frankenstein                    Shelley
Dracula                    Stoker
Gulliver's Travels                    Swift
From the Beast to the Blonde: On Fairy Tales and Their Tellers                    Warner

Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

JudeS

Re: Suggestion Box for Future Book Discussions
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2009, 05:17:48 PM »
I have neglected this site for a while so I will chime in with my two cents though two cents isn't worth much these days.

Reading Lolita in Tehran is one of my favorite  books of all time. However if this is a fiction only site than I will add my voice as
a vote for my favorite fiction book this year-   "The Book Thief". (Zusak) It touches the deepest recesses of ones heart and it is beautifully written.

The People of the Book (Brooks) is mostly well written and a very intellectually arousing novel. Lots and lots to research and discuss.

Haven't read any of the other suggestions but just ordered yesterday "The Story of Edward Sawtelle" since it was so highly praised on Amazon.

mrssherlock

« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2009, 09:24:35 PM »
The Book Thief and Olive Kitteridge are both waiting for me at the library.  Hooray!
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2009, 11:09:24 PM »
Jude, I don't know where  that got started -

WE ARE NOT A FICTION-ONLY BOOK SITE!

Do you think Reading Lolita in Tehran would lend itself to a book discussion?  Keep in mind that we will be discussing Three Cups of Tea in May...

The Book Thief has been entered into the running - in the chart above. 
Thanks, Jude!  We'll be voting on May 1.

Jackie, out of curiosity, did your library ever come up with Elegance of the Hedgehog?

Gumtree

« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2009, 01:54:28 AM »
People of the Book would be great for discussion - filled with different places, different people, different times. Not only that but it's written by an Aussie.... ;D

The Book Thief I agree with Jude - great reading - in parts it may be profound...once again an Aussie writer.... ;D

I'd be there for either of those but I have a sneaking desire to read the Dickens - The Mystery of Edwin Drood as I haven't read that one before.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

mrssherlock

« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2009, 11:54:31 AM »
Hedegehog is still over-reserved.  There are five copies in the system with aadditional  paperback in process.  The message continues to read:  "5 holds on first copy returned of five copies".  Same message has been appearing since I first submitted my reservation sometime in March. 
Jackie

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2009, 08:49:27 AM »
We're getting near to the May 1 vote!  I hope you will all read the descriptions of all the nominated books - the titles in the chart in the heading are links to reviews - have I mentioned that? ;)

I agree, these are excellent nominations  - a difficult decision.  But maybe this will help.
The vote will be a bit different this time.  Two parts:

First you will be asked to select your TOP choice of all the nominated books.

Second- you will be asked to check off each of the titles you might like to discuss at some time in the future.
The thing is - once you begin the vote, you won't be able to back out to read the reviews about books unfamiliar to you.  It would be a shame to lose your vote if you try that.  Though I suppose you could open another window and read about the books and then return to the open vote....

Jackie, thanks for letting me know.  When Hedgehog does become available - we will probably have finished the discussion, but know that the whole thing will be Archived.  This is one book that you will  appreciate the group's comments!

JudeS

« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2009, 03:29:07 PM »
I would just like to add re:  Reading Lolita in Tehran- Although we would be discussing a non-fiction book we would also be discussing Lolita itself since it plays such an important part in this story.  I know many people have mixed feelings about Lolita.  However  the perspective on this book given in Afir Nafeesis book of Reading Lolita in Teheran may give you,  as it did me, a different perspective on the book , the author Nabokov, and why it is so important a work.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2009, 03:42:01 PM »
Thanks, Jude.  There's an idea.  How many of us have read Lolita?  How many of us remember having read Lolita? ;D

Here's something more about the book -

Reading Lolita in Tehran: A Memoir in Books (2003): After Nafisi was dismissed from her teaching position in Tehran during the late 1980s for studying Western texts and refusing to don a veil, she held a secret class in her home for seven Iranian women. They studied classic Western texts by Austen, James, Nabokov, and Fitzgerald.

mrssherlock

« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2009, 04:36:05 PM »
It was when I read Lolita that I first became fully aware of the different standards applied to literature by men and by women.  I have read where Lolita is thought to be funny  ??? and that Humbert Humbert needed sympathy.  We don't need to discuss that here and now but Lolita disturbed me and the idea of reading it again is disturbing.  I probably will not participate if that is the choice of the group.  Maybe that explains why I couldn't finish Reading Lolita in Teheran!
Jackie

Frybabe

« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2009, 12:35:56 AM »
It looks like our list is getting full up. I would still like to read the following from the last list:

The Bookseller of Kabul
The Story of Edgar Sawtelle
Look Homeward, Angel

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2009, 09:51:27 AM »
Thanks, Frybabe!  This is getting very interesting!

Frybabe

« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2009, 10:27:46 AM »
Yes, I know Joan. The books I listed from last time, I still would like to do, but there are several on the new list too I want to do. It is going to be an extremely tough decision.

Pei Li

« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2009, 08:15:44 PM »
a late comer- so suggesting Bridge of Sighs is probably moot, but yes Reading Lolita an encourage lots of discussion- as can The Reader.  Yes I understand from a previous post that books and short stories that have been made into movies are not preferred, but I think the content/them etc. is worthy of discussion
thank you

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2009, 10:24:10 PM »
Welcome, Pei, it is good to see you here.  - No, it's not too late.  We're open for nominations until April 30 - and then we'll  vote for the next book discussion - and also to see if there is sufficient interest in any of the other nominated titles for future discussion.

Bridge of Sighs...have you ever been to Venice?

http://www.bookmarksmagazine.com/book-review/bridge-sighs/richard-russo

mrssherlock

« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2009, 09:13:33 AM »
Joan:  Lumby Lines is a fun read which is why I mentioned it.  It is not literature.  I feel that it is not appropriate for consideration this time.  I'll save it for nomination sometime when we are looking for a funny, light read. 
Jackie

Frybabe

« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2009, 12:55:25 PM »
mrssherlock, please don't de-list Lumby Lines. Light and funny might be just what a lot of us want or need just now. If it isn't chosen now, it might just make it to a discussion later and can always be entered again next round. Reading the link, it reminded me of the Bob Newhart show set in a New England inn.

The link mentioned Garrison Keillor's books. I tried reading his first book about Lake Wobegon but couldn't get through it. His talent, I think, was in the verbal telling. The book read like his radio dialog and I just couldn't the hang of READING it well.

Pei Li

« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2009, 08:19:46 PM »
No, sadly, have never been to Venice (though my son and daughter in law have--) but I am intrigued by this book. The 'town' could be anywhere USA not just upper New York State and I think the author has some very interesting and important points/issues he explores or reveals in this book and some nuances of the characters, especially Mr. Berg in his teaching role, in my experience are elements for a good discussion.

(oh sorry if too much in one post- but if not a single short story  as noted by I think poster Barbara, I think some of the more recent books of short stories by a single author explore interesting themes-- so even if one catches the attention- how that story unfolds in a larger body of work is also interesting.)

I am delighted I found this group and look forward to whatever the choice.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2009, 05:44:00 AM »
Pei, WELCOME!
We  look forward to hearing from you in future discussions.  Can you tell us how you found this site? There are  many interesting titles nominated this time, aren't there?

haha, Jackie, it seems that Frybabe has renominated Lumby Lines, after all.   ;D

Pei Li

« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2009, 07:50:52 PM »
Yes lots of nominations and I look forward to the 'vote'
okay how I found this site-- I'd heard about seniornet and when I goodsearched (hopefully many people here use good search and earn $ for their charities) the seniornet site at the time wanted $ to sign up.  Like many seniors and certainly even non seniors in this economy paying to access an internet discussion was not feasible.  (oh and the political side of me sends a message to this rumor that most all internet sites will require fees soon)

then there is another senior group a neighbor told me about but for me not stimulating-- then recently got an email that informed me about this group specific to book discussions- sent me the link and so here I am.

isn't the internet just so amazing!

Frybabe

« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2009, 08:01:53 PM »
Hi Pei Li. SeniorNet is where most of us came from. They narrowed their focus and dropped most or all of our wonderful discussions, so several of the former SeniorNet Administrators and Techies created this site and www.seniorsandfriends.org. This one is devoted to books and Latin language lessons. Seniors and Friends is more general in nature. It includes discussions of all kinds. A lot of us toggle back and forth between both. I particularly like to check in on the Classical music discussion group.

mrssherlock

« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2009, 09:19:27 PM »
Pei Li:  I was so distressed when SeniorNet eliminated the internet discussion groups.  Like you, I am so glad that I found this site.  This community has become an important part of my life and lucky me now I have a new person to get to know. 
Jackie

Gumtree

« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2009, 01:32:32 AM »
Pei Li :  Hello to you - I'm sure you will get to love this site.  As mrssherlock says it's a community that has become important to each of us though probably in different ways for each. I love to come in and see what everyone is saying - sometimes I post and sometimes I don't but the connection, friendship and fellowship is always there - and no matter which book is chosen the discussion will be first-rate.

Pei Li

« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2009, 08:04:38 PM »
dear Frybabe, Mrssherlock and Gumtree- thanks for welcome.  For me book discussion is a great way to communicate-- sorry to hear your disappointment about seniornet.

I am a slow reader and do not always remember to record title and author; but I read daily and always look forward to book recommendations.  I am open to fiction, nonfiction and lately since I am in a writing course have been more receptive to short stories- as I understand the craft better.

I am an inconsistent internet user, sometimes I get signed on every day then there are periods of time (for lots of reasons) that I cannot get to a computer and/or the internet.

so again thank you.

fairanna

« Reply #64 on: May 01, 2009, 10:53:04 AM »
Well I have purchased and I dont have the books in front of me the one with potato in it , the one just finished again the name eludes me I  started to  read it with you but the death of a special person made it impossible I have the tea book and havent opened it but whatever you choose I will buy it and hope I can not only read it but enjoy discussing it with everyone .. I miss that  looking forward to spending hot summer days with you...fairanna

Pei Li

« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2009, 08:33:53 PM »
using survey monkey a great idea!

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2009, 09:30:18 PM »
I'm glad you like it Pei - it sure makes tabulating easier!  We're having a great response - and the poll hasn't even been open 24 hours.  The hard part is waiting to hear the results. 

Fairanna - you will love the one with the "Potato" in it!  You are the only one I know who is looking forward to the hot summer days! :D

Mippy

« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2009, 06:38:59 AM »
Hi, everyone ... just found this space and plan to vote as soon as I read about the books.  Thanks!
quot libros, quam breve tempus

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2009, 06:33:08 PM »
Anna, I will repeat JoanP.  You will love the book with potato in the title.  My f2f group is going to read it the 1st week in June, at our almost new, very much renovated library.  Since we'll have our own discussion room I'm pushing for a celebration with bar-b-que and that dish with potato in it.

And now to vote.  I know No. 1 for sure, not certain about no. 2 -- there is a no. 2?  I was tempted, but will not comment about a certain group of others on the list, as every book there has been well thought-out and will be enjoyed by many.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
Re: Suggestion Box for Future Book Discussions ~ VOTE HERE!
« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2009, 08:30:48 AM »
I voted but it was hard to do with many good books on the list.  My first choice was Daniel Pearl's book.  Sounds like a winner to me.

JoanP,
Did we not already discuss "Reading Lolita in Tehran" a few years ago on the old site??? I seem to remember that one.

Where are my manners???  Welcome, Pei and others who are new to this wonderful site.
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2009, 11:34:19 AM »
Good morning, Annie!
 Quite sure we never read Reading Lolita here or on SeniorNet.  Have you read it? It wasn't a finalist this go-round.
As often happens when there are so many nominations, the results tend to be scattered.  So that we come up with the title for the next discussion with the most interest, we have set up a new poll with the top FIVE contenders.  You will only get to vote for one of them this time.

Before opening your ballot, please be sure that you are familiar with the following titles so you know what they are each  about - (You can learn about them by clicking the title in the chart in the heading at the top of this page.)

The Last Dickens by Pearl (read together with The Mystery of Edwin Drood by Dickens)
The Book Thief by Zusak
People of the Book by Brooks
Bridge of Sighs by Russo
The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by Wroblewski

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: May 06, 2009, 01:16:22 PM »
I finished reading the "unfinished" The Mystery of Edwin Drood by Dickens a few days ago. It was compelling. The development of the characters and the mystery element made it hard to put down. Dickens also introduced a new character to the book in the late chapters. I really want to know how Dickens would have finished the novel had he not died halfway through writing it. The novel is a satisfying read even though it wasn't completed and it makes me want to read more about it. I'm partway through Mathew Pearl's THE LAST DICKENS which pursues Dicken's life around the time of his writing the novel and what clues there might be to the resolution of the mystery he was writing. It's quite interesting and exciting.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #72 on: May 08, 2009, 11:50:32 AM »
I think so too, Marcie.  These are such good titles.  I'd like to discuss them all!   We're getting a good response from our participants - but there is still time to vote!

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2009, 08:56:26 PM »
We've got several hours left before the vote closes - you won't believe this, but right now the two front-runners are tied - an exact tie!  I guess I could announce now, because we'll discuss both of them in the coming months.  But that might upset someone who has yet to vote - so I won't.  Can you guess which two are tied for the lead?

Gumtree

« Reply #74 on: May 11, 2009, 06:55:02 AM »
My guess for the two front runners :

The People of the Book and the Dickens duo

Frybabe

« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2009, 11:19:54 AM »
Great minds  ;D think alike, Gumtree. My guess exactly.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2009, 07:32:35 AM »
Well geee, Gum, Frybabe - maybe we can avoid the vote altogether the next time and ask you what you think most would enjoy - YOU BOTH picked the top two - three, actually!

The clear choice - Dickens' The Mystery of Edwin Drood and Geraldine Brooks' People of the Book.  What we are doing now is considering the schedule and lining up DLs..
Part of the Dickens'  package is Matthew Pearl's Last Dickens - we are checking with Matthew's schedule too.

Thanks to all for participating.  There were so many great titles to consider this time.  It was a difficult choice.  Don't worry, those titles will not fall off of the radar screen.  We've noted them and  will begin with those for our next vote.

In the meantime, please don't hesitate to include suggestions for future discussion and we will add them to our table of nominations.  Don't see earlier suggestions?  Just repeat them here and we'll add them!

JudeS

« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2009, 02:07:48 PM »
Although  I suggested The Book Thief and  People of the Book I voted for Edwin Drood out of pure curiosity since I had read the other books and the adventure had already happened .  Edwin Drood was a trip not yet made and therefore  the one I ultimately chose since I am more curious about the content.

Are these books available in paperback or on Amazon , used? If not I will have my librarian try to track them down since they are not in my library.

Hi, ho !
Away we go.
Adventure awaits.
Unimagined fates
Will unfold.
And mysteries told.
(I was in a creative mood so please excuse this doggerel))

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2009, 02:41:19 PM »
Jude, I love your rhyme. The Mystery of Edwin Drood is available for reading online at several places. One is the Gutenberg Project at http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/564

Used copies of The Last Dickens and The People of the book are available at many places, including http://www.alibris.com

Mippy

« Reply #79 on: May 13, 2009, 06:54:53 AM »
Good mornin'  everyone  from sunny Medfield, MA
       just a minor question...  looked back a couple of pages but could not see any note about when the book(s) are going to be discussed ...  it must have been mentioned way back several pages ...   June or July?   I hope I'll find time to participate, and will order the one by Pearl immediately.    These were my vote, by the way.   Dickens is a terrific choice.    :D
quot libros, quam breve tempus