Author Topic: Talking Heads ~ Cursive Writing  (Read 38542 times)

mrssherlock

Re: Talking Heads
« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2009, 07:18:16 PM »
Talking Heads

"It occurred to me that nothing is more interesting than opinion when opinion is interesting..."
Herbert Bayard Swope, creator of the Op-Ed page.

A two week  forum for opinions on anything in print: magazines, newspaper articles, online: bring your ideas and let's discuss.

First up: Is Cursive Writing Dead?

Recently in the Christian  Science Monitor, The Boston Globe, the Washington Post and Newsweek a debate has arisen concerning the teaching of Cursive Writing.

Here is the original article in the Christian  Science Monitor:
http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/1114/p13s01-legn.html?s=hns

Do we need to teach or use cursive writing any more? Is penmanship dead? What's the Palmer Method?

What's YOUR opinion?  Read the short article and then weigh in!

How's YOUR handwriting?

Discussion Leader: Ginny

Sheila:  Welcome.  This discussion has been fun.  Wonder what the next topic will be?  I can't think of a way to browse the web for articles.  I do so little online reading.  Maybe Slate . . .
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Steph

« Reply #81 on: March 23, 2009, 09:40:32 AM »
This has been fun, but I dont have another news item to discuss.  I dont really read articles that  much  on line. Tend to do newspapers for that sort of thing.  Something perhaps on the death of newspapers?? any other newspaper fans out there?
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Babi

« Reply #82 on: March 23, 2009, 09:40:50 AM »
Ginny, here's an article that looks like it might be interesting. It's titled:
 "How to Predict What You'd Like? Ask a Stranger."  It's a Time Mag. article.
See what you think.

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1886607,00.html
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: March 23, 2009, 02:29:58 PM »
OH Babi, I love that. hahaha

I had just found, (Stephanie!) an article on how the loss of newspapers will change small towns. hahahaa

If it's AP it's usually on the internet.

And one on Xanadu, the  biggest Mall in the World, opening in the Meadowlands of NJ in an economic crisis, that would
seem to lend itself to Malls vs Hometown stores vs the Wal Marts of the world. I still like both of those too, but I like this one especially for the subject: happiness and what predicts it best.

We'll do that one, I love that, I found this fascinating:

Indeed, Gilbert and his co-authors cite previous research showing people's scant ability to predict their future feelings about most things: "people have been shown to overestimate how unhappy they will be after receiving bad test results, becoming disabled or being denied a promotion, and to overestimate how happy they will be after winning a prize, initiating a romantic relationship or taking revenge against those who have harmed them."

Hold on a mo and we'll get something up!

BooksAdmin

• TopicManager
Re: Talking Heads ~ Cursive Writing
« Reply #84 on: March 23, 2009, 05:13:19 PM »
Talking Heads ~ Cursive Writing is locked and will be archived soon

Come join the new topic --  The Pursuit of Happiness.