Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece Mystery 2012  (Read 93050 times)

marcie

• Administrator
Re: PBS Masterpiece Mystery 2012
« Reply #160 on: July 29, 2012, 11:03:45 AM »

Masterpiece Mystery 2012 presents the best British mysteries. See the complete 2012 MASTERPIECE MYSTERY schedule.    

NOW DISCUSSING
Let's talk about any PBS program of interest to us.

COMING

Wallander: Season 3
Three 90-minute mysteries — Sundays, Sept. 9, 16 & 23, 2012

The brooding Swedish cop Wallander (Kenneth Branagh) returns with a new home and relationship, a new sense of possibility, and three chilling new cases with devastating effects.

ALREADY DISCUSSED

Inspector Lewis: Indelible Stain
July 29, 2012 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
A controversial American academic is found strangled after a guest lecture at Oxford, leading Lewis and Hathaway to narrow down a list of motives that includes politics, ambition and vengeance, in order to find their culprit.

Inspector Lewis: Fearful Symmetry
July 22, 2012 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Lewis and Hathaway are drawn into a darker side of Oxford while investigating the murder of a suburban babysitter. Will the babysitter's secret life help the detectives unravel a tangled web of lies and deceit to find their killer?

Inspector Lewis: Generation of Vipers
July 15, 2012 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Suspicions abound as Lewis and Hathaway investigate the death of a lovelorn Oxford professor. Was her death caused by an embarrassing Internet leak, or something much more sinister? Toby Stephens (Jane Eyre) guest stars.

Inspector Lewis: The Soul of Genius
July 8, 2012 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Botany, rivalry and secrecy collide when Lewis and Hathaway attempt to find the killer of an obsessed professor. Kick off the new season of Inspector Lewis with The Soul of Genius. Celia Imrie (Cranford) co-stars.

Endeavour
July 1, 2012 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Before his signature red Jaguar, before Inspector Morse, there was the rookie Constable Morse, deductive powers already running in high gear. Shaun Evans (The Take, The Virgin Queen) portrays Endeavour Morse, the low man on the force returning to Oxford with no track record and his future on the line.

ZEN: Encore Episodes (from 2011)

Three 90-minute mysteries — Sundays, June 10, 17 & 24, 2012
 What does an honest cop do when corruption rules on both sides of the law? Detective Aurelio Zen (Rufus Sewell, Middlemarch), based on the novels by British crime writer Michael Dibdin, brings justice to modern-day Italy, whether the authorities want it or not. Check your local listings to see if the programs are broadcast on your PBS station.

Sherlock Holmes: The Reichenbach Fall
May 20, 2012 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
The crime of the century is just a prelude for the unhinged criminal mastermind, Jim Moriarty (Andrew Scott, Lennon Naked), when he poses the diabolical and inescapable "final problem" to Sherlock.

Sherlock Holmes: The Hounds of Baskerville
May 13, 2012 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Sherlock and Watson track a gigantic hound to Baskerville, where the military is conducting top-secret experiments. But whether demonic or dubious, something is stalking the moors.

Sherlock Holmes: A Scandal in Belgravia
May 6, 2012 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Picking up from Season 1's gripping cliffhanger, the whip-smart Irene Adler (Lara Pulver, True Blood) takes on Sherlock in a game he is ill-prepared to fight...love. Watch online through 6/5/12

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP and marcie

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #161 on: July 29, 2012, 11:04:41 AM »
The last LEWIS episode of the season will be broadcast tonight.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #162 on: July 29, 2012, 03:58:05 PM »
I will be watching Lewis at 8PM.  Only watching the Gymnastics on the Olympics at the moment.  Love them.  Amazing what these young people can do. Hoping they are on from 6 pm to the time Lewis comes on.
Wonder what will be on after this Sunday?. Most probably a repeat of something.  PBS is repeating so much this year.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #163 on: July 29, 2012, 05:29:55 PM »
Jeanne, I think you are right that we'll get some repeat programs during August. 

In September we'll have three new Wallander episodes.

I've been watching the Olympics too...mainly the swimming heats and the gymnastics today.

Frybabe

« Reply #164 on: July 29, 2012, 07:36:36 PM »
Re the Lewis reruns, I don't remember one of the titles nor it's description. I don't think I missed any though, will have to see.

One of the new Wallander episodes is The Dogs of Riga. It is one of my favorites, so I will be very interested to see how they portray it. I don't recall that they ever mentioned or played up his long distance romance that ran through his early books. This is where it started.

An Event in Autumn is not familiar to me. According to Google Sites, it was a bonus to readers in the Netherlands when they ordered other crime novels back in 2004. I don't think I've ever seen it published here. BTW, the girlfriend he has in this one is not the same one as in Dogs.

Before the Frost, I think, is the one where his daughter joins the police force. I haven't read it.

Frybabe

« Reply #165 on: July 29, 2012, 07:48:22 PM »
My PBS station is running the Manor House program again tonight, so I will go going down to watch that in a few minutes. Somehow or other I never got around to watching it the last two (?) times they ran it.

Babi

« Reply #166 on: July 30, 2012, 08:32:46 AM »
  Another good show, tho' I did find it rather difficult to believe the culprit capable of murder.
While I might believe it of the first murder,  the motivation for the second was, IMO, decidedly
weak.
  The interplay between Lewis and Hawthorne continues to be the highlight of the show for me.
The wry comments and mutual understanding are a delight.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

jeriron

« Reply #167 on: July 30, 2012, 09:20:13 AM »
The interplay between Lewis and Hawthorne continues to be the highlight of the show for me.
The wry comments and mutual understanding are a delight.

I absolutely agree. I love it.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #168 on: August 19, 2012, 12:52:43 PM »
Tonight is a musical evening on my PBS station. At 7pm, Oscar Hammerstein II: Out of My Dreams
 A profile of lyricist-librettist Oscar Hammerstein II (1895-1960), whose work includes "Show Boat," "Carousel" and "South Pacific." Included: remarks from Stephen Sondheim, Harold Prince, Shirley Jones, Mitzi Gaynor and Hammerstein family members.

Following that is Great Performances: Jackie Evancho: Music of the Movies
Twelve-year-old classical crossover prodigy Jackie Evancho sings movie songs at the Orpheum Theatre in L.A., including "Can You Feel the Love Tonight," "My Heart Will Go On," "Pure Imagination," "Some Enchanted Evening" and "What a Wonderful World."

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #169 on: August 19, 2012, 06:57:15 PM »
Our PBS station must be different.  Tonight there will be one hour of Masterpiece with John Thaw as Morse.  After then will be the next installment of the New one with the younger Chief Inspector.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #170 on: August 19, 2012, 11:26:39 PM »
I think we have the programming we have because of PBS "pledge week." I just finished watching Oscar Hammerstein II: Out of My Dreams. It was fabulous!!

rosemarykaye

« Reply #171 on: August 20, 2012, 04:47:03 AM »
Last night I saw (most of) a lovely programme on ITV3 about the making of period dramas - 'The Story of the Costume Drama'.  It was tracing their development and discussing their enduring popularity, and had lots of clips from things like Brideshead, Jewel In the Crown, Pride & Prejudice, Cranford, Sense & Sensibility, etc.  I think it is the first part of a series - I hope they repeat it so that I can watch the bit I missed.  It had lots of interviews with the actors  and producers - Art Malik, Susan Wooldridge, Barbara Flynn.  I hope you get it on PBS eventually.

Rosemary

Babi

« Reply #172 on: August 20, 2012, 08:54:20 AM »
I do hope my recorder picked up the new instalment of young Morse. I didn't know it was
 showing (if it was, on my channel), but it's supposed to record the series.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #173 on: August 20, 2012, 06:29:41 PM »
I see that the "Endeavor" prequel has been picked up as a series to be broadcast in 2013. Hooray!!!  http://tellyspotting.org/2012/03/13/itv-commissions-endeavor-series-for-2013/

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #174 on: August 20, 2012, 08:44:09 PM »
Rosemary, the program on Costume Dramas sounds like a good one.  I found a trailer for it at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dhMNeoVV78

I checked and it already played in the U.S. in March of this year and I missed it! I hope it will come around again.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #175 on: August 21, 2012, 06:35:58 AM »
Thanks Marcie - I looked it up here and apparently it was first shown in 2008!  So I wonder if they will show it again - although we have so many more channels now than we did then, that they have to fill them all with something, and it's usually repeats of repeats...

Anyway, if it does pop up again on US TV, I hope you enjoy it.  I am going to try to record the rest of the series, as I have in-laws descending for a stay on Saturday and all they ever want to do is sit on the sofa and watch endless sport - which of course I absolutely loathe.  Every so often MIL will say 'Oh Rosemary, I know you don't like this, but...' - I recall taking our children hundreds of miles to their house years ago, only to find that the golf open was on - the TV remained on throughout every meal, something that i did not allow in my home - my children were amazed.  Oh well - thank goodness for DVD recorders!  Remember the days when if you missed something, that was that?

Rosemary

Babi

« Reply #176 on: August 21, 2012, 08:39:40 AM »
 Now that we have so much more leisure time, ROSEMARY,  I am even more grateful to the
recording technology.  And what would I do without internet communication and closed
captioning?   Science...it's wonderful!

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #177 on: August 21, 2012, 11:27:58 AM »
Got a set of Masterpiece Theatre at the library the other day. 5 dvd.
They are of John Thaw playing Morse. At the end of his shows.  I have watched 4 of them and I don't think they ever came on our TV.  No. 4 is where he dies. Really great acting.  Wonder what date that was in the show and what date he died in real life..  He really did look ill in that one.

I had watched a interview that was with the Author of the books on 6 minutes couple weeks ago.  He was saying that he appears for just a second in the shows and I have now spotted him in them.  Funny looking little man. Looks quite old.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #178 on: August 21, 2012, 12:26:11 PM »
Jeanne, Colin Dexter is in his 80s now, but still as sharp as a knife.  He is, however, very deaf, so he might come across as vague - but he really isn't.

I saw him quite recently on a programme about crosswords - he is one of those people who can do the Time crossword whilst eating his breakfast.  He was also at the Theakston's Crime Writing event in Yorkshire last month, where he was given a lifetime award, and I have seen photos of him taken with some of the younger (female) crime writers there - he looked very jolly!!  (In a completely platonic way of course, I believe he is happily married.)

Rosemary

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #179 on: August 21, 2012, 09:39:17 PM »
I too saw recently that Colin Dexter had a cameo in each of the Morse episodes. I didn't know that when I saw them. I'll  have to look for him in repeats.

jeriron

« Reply #180 on: August 21, 2012, 10:26:08 PM »
Four more Endevour shows are being filmed now.We probably will get them next summer. Also there's talk of this next summer 2014  being the last of the Lewis shows.  :(

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #181 on: August 22, 2012, 12:01:18 AM »
Hooray for more Endeavour!

Babi

« Reply #182 on: August 22, 2012, 08:47:47 AM »
    :D  That's me, ROSEMARY. Very deaf, and often seeming vague, tho' perhaps not quite the sharpest knife in the drawer.
  I'm doubt if I would recognize Dexter in those cameo appearances. I'll need to see if I
can find a recent photo of him.  Ah, here we go: http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=colin+dexter&qpvt=colin+dexter&FORM=IGRE

Good to hear more of Endeavour is being filmed.  Meanwhile, I look forward to at least
another year and a half of Lewis.

jeriron

« Reply #183 on: August 22, 2012, 09:10:54 AM »
FYI Did you know that PBS cuts 8 to 10 minutes from the ITV UK Endeavour and Lewis.  And when you buy the DVD if it isn't the UK version  it will not have those  minutes in it.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #184 on: August 22, 2012, 02:12:11 PM »
Colin Dexter looks like a little man that would be fun to be around.  Didn't find who he was married to or if he had a family.
Now "Endeavour".  I know that was the first name of "Morse" but what is the show about.?  Not heard of it.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #185 on: August 22, 2012, 02:21:00 PM »
O.K.  I have googled "Endeavour" so now finding what it is all about. Sounds like will be another one to really enjoy.  John Thaw's daughter said to be in it.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #186 on: August 22, 2012, 02:53:12 PM »
Jeanne - here is quite an interesting page about Colin Dexter - from which you will see that he is married with children.  It also explains how he started to write - stuck in a holiday home in the rain, read a couple of books and thought he could do better - so he did.  Just like that  :)

Rosemary

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #187 on: August 22, 2012, 06:07:07 PM »
FYI Did you know that PBS cuts 8 to 10 minutes from the ITV UK Endeavour and Lewis.  And when you buy the DVD if it isn't the UK version  it will not have those  minutes in it.

I didn't realize that Jeriron. hmmmm.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #188 on: August 22, 2012, 07:24:26 PM »
Rosemary.

I still have not found any info on Colin Dexter's family.  I have read a few book lately that I have thought the same thing.  Could write a better one.  Think that there are publishers now that will put anything out there.  Put them on the Ipads for $3.95 and someone will buy.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #189 on: August 22, 2012, 08:55:23 PM »
Jeanne, I found a short bio of Colin Dexter at http://www.bbc.co.uk/lincolnshire/content/articles/2005/08/24/famous_yellowbelly_colin_dexter_feature.shtml

Maybe when Rosemary checks in she will provide the link to the article she found.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #190 on: August 23, 2012, 04:00:58 AM »
Oh my goodness - I am so hopeless!  here it is:

http://www.macmillanreaders.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/cdexter_ads1.pdf

Apologies!

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #191 on: August 23, 2012, 03:00:29 PM »
I read the list of the novels that he has written.  I think that most of them were on Masterpiece but a couple I don't recognize.  I don't think that I have read any of his books.  May start with the ones not seen on the TV.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #192 on: August 23, 2012, 03:03:51 PM »
Does not seem like it has been ten years since John Thaw passed on.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #193 on: August 23, 2012, 04:07:33 PM »
Jeanne, the Morse books are quite a bit different from the TV adaptations - see what you think.  I've read some but I don't find them as appealing as the shows.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #194 on: August 23, 2012, 08:23:37 PM »
Having watched all the TV shows it could be that I would not enjoy them like if I was reading books from the start.  I have sort of decided that I choose to   Watch a movie or read the book.  Not both.  I always seem to get disappointed

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #195 on: August 23, 2012, 11:55:12 PM »
I received an email from PBS that says

Can't wait to see the sparks fly between Lady Cora's mother Martha (Shirley MacLaine) and the Dowager Countess (Maggie Smith) in Downton Abbey Season 3? MASTERPIECE gives you your first glimpse at this epic showdown in an exclusive scene from the new season of the show, premiering January, 6, 2013.

See  the very short clip at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch/downtonabbey3_ep1_scene.html?elq=12ec449e2db543139d6fcc8c0da38e9a&elqCampaignId=402

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #196 on: August 23, 2012, 11:58:59 PM »
This Sunday my PBS station will be showing the "best of" the current pledge drive programs. I'm looking forward to WALLANDER in September.

Babi

« Reply #197 on: August 24, 2012, 08:41:29 AM »
 January seems so long to wait for the next season of Downton Abbey,  but of course come
January I will be astonished...again....at how time flies.  I was startled by Shirley MacLaines
appearance.  Perhaps the hair fashions of the day simply don't flatter her.  ;D  She is actually
much more attractive than that, as you can see here:  http://www.shirleymaclaine.com/

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #198 on: August 24, 2012, 07:55:59 PM »
There are some good quotes from Shirley in an article at http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2012/06/downton-abbey-season-3-shirley-maclaine-im-the-american-whos-for-change.html

The photo there shows her 78-year-old wrinkles but I think that's better than some of the oddly stretched faces you sometimes see in people who have had lots of plastic surgery.

Here's Shirley on the topic of plastic surgery: http://inyourface.ocregister.com/2012/06/26/shirley-maclaines-nip-tucks-over-for-this-lifetime/87430/

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #199 on: August 24, 2012, 08:21:02 PM »
She never was known for being a beauty but I always enjoyed her movies.  Now her neck is really bad for a 78 year old.  That I think I would do something about.  I am looking forward to seeing her in Dalton Abbey.