Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece Mystery 2012  (Read 92828 times)

marcie

• Administrator
PBS Masterpiece Mystery 2012
« on: May 01, 2012, 09:00:38 PM »

Masterpiece Mystery 2012 presents the best British mysteries. See the complete 2012 MASTERPIECE MYSTERY schedule.   

NOW DISCUSSING
Let's talk about any PBS program of interest to us.

Inspector Lewis: Indelible Stain
July 29, 2012 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
A controversial American academic is found strangled after a guest lecture at Oxford, leading Lewis and Hathaway to narrow down a list of motives that includes politics, ambition and vengeance, in order to find their culprit.

ALREADY DISCUSSED

Inspector Lewis: Fearful Symmetry
July 22, 2012 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Lewis and Hathaway are drawn into a darker side of Oxford while investigating the murder of a suburban babysitter. Will the babysitter's secret life help the detectives unravel a tangled web of lies and deceit to find their killer?

Inspector Lewis: Generation of Vipers
July 15, 2012 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Suspicions abound as Lewis and Hathaway investigate the death of a lovelorn Oxford professor. Was her death caused by an embarrassing Internet leak, or something much more sinister? Toby Stephens (Jane Eyre) guest stars.

Inspector Lewis: The Soul of Genius
July 8, 2012 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Botany, rivalry and secrecy collide when Lewis and Hathaway attempt to find the killer of an obsessed professor. Kick off the new season of Inspector Lewis with The Soul of Genius. Celia Imrie (Cranford) co-stars.

Endeavour
July 1, 2012 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Before his signature red Jaguar, before Inspector Morse, there was the rookie Constable Morse, deductive powers already running in high gear. Shaun Evans (The Take, The Virgin Queen) portrays Endeavour Morse, the low man on the force returning to Oxford with no track record and his future on the line.

ZEN: Encore Episodes (from 2011)

Three 90-minute mysteries — Sundays, June 10, 17 & 24, 2012
 What does an honest cop do when corruption rules on both sides of the law? Detective Aurelio Zen (Rufus Sewell, Middlemarch), based on the novels by British crime writer Michael Dibdin, brings justice to modern-day Italy, whether the authorities want it or not. Check your local listings to see if the programs are broadcast on your PBS station.

Sherlock Holmes: The Reichenbach Fall
May 20, 2012 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
The crime of the century is just a prelude for the unhinged criminal mastermind, Jim Moriarty (Andrew Scott, Lennon Naked), when he poses the diabolical and inescapable "final problem" to Sherlock.

Sherlock Holmes: The Hounds of Baskerville
May 13, 2012 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Sherlock and Watson track a gigantic hound to Baskerville, where the military is conducting top-secret experiments. But whether demonic or dubious, something is stalking the moors.

Sherlock Holmes: A Scandal in Belgravia
May 6, 2012 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Picking up from Season 1's gripping cliffhanger, the whip-smart Irene Adler (Lara Pulver, True Blood) takes on Sherlock in a game he is ill-prepared to fight...love. Watch online through 6/5/12

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP and marcie

marcie

• Administrator
Re: PBS Masterpiece Mystery 2012
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 09:23:26 PM »
This looks like it will be a great Masterpiece Mystery season.

During May, starting this Sunday, we'll have three new Sherlock Holmes episodes.

During June, some stations will show encore episodes of ZEN, with Rufus Sewell.

On July 1 there will be one episode of a "prequel" to Inspector Morse. Shaun Evans (The Take, The Virgin Queen) portrays Endeavour Morse, the low man on the force returning to Oxford with no track record and his future on the line.

During the rest of July we'll have 4 new episodes of Inspector Lewis: Season 5, with Kevin Whately and Laurence Fox.

During August, some stations will show encore episodes of Inspector Lewis: Season 4.

During September, we'll have 3 new episodes of Wallander: Season 3, with Kenneth Branagh.

See the full schedule at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/schedule/index.html

Frybabe

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 08:58:59 AM »
Thanks for starting the new MM season forum. I am very much looking forward to the lineup.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 09:27:39 AM »
Looking forward to the new season.  Thanks, Marcie.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 10:30:10 AM »
During September, we'll have 3 new episodes of Wallander: Season 3, with Kenneth Branagh
  Thanks, Marcie!

I'm really looking forward to this.  Would love to know the book titles to read before watching the adaptations though.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 11:22:38 AM »
Joan, the third season will focus on Wallander's relationship with his daughter, after the death of his father.

The three episodes will be:
The Dogs of Riga, based on the novel of the same name.
Before The Frost, also based on the novel of the same name.
An Event in Autumn, which is based on the short story Händelse om hösten (The Grave), a short story from 2004 published only in the Netherlands.

See more info at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallander_%28British_TV_series%29

Frybabe

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 01:45:57 PM »
The good news to me is we will see The Dogs of Riga which is one of my favorites (another is The White Lioness). I was not interested in reading Before the Frost because I wasn't much interested in a following dad's footsteps kind of thing. I will be most curious to see the last one, An Event in Autumn.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 04:24:04 PM »
Looking forward to the showing of Morse and also Season 5 of Inspector Lewis. I think he took over after Morse and did a great job.
Now I didn't much care for "Wallander"  I like Kenneth but not in it.  I will most probable watch if home.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 09:23:52 AM »
I tried to get the old Morse episodes on Netflix but they don't stream them and only have them on DVD and we don't get the DVDs from Netflix.  I'll sure be looking forward to some of the future offerings on PBS.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 10:33:42 AM »
Here is a short, poignant Morse-Lewis scene from Inspector Morse:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QYoMFZDkrc

jeriron

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 11:45:31 AM »
And the DVDs don't have captions.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 02:03:43 PM »
FlaJean

Check your library. Mine have all the Insp. Morse and also Insp. Lewis up to his last series.  They will get the New one pretty soon. The get most of movies as soon as they come out on DVD. Maybe I am high on the list for New one but gets to me within 3 weeks.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 02:27:59 PM »
Thanks, JeanneP,  I'll try the library.

Frybabe

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 08:29:46 AM »
I was totally absorbed in the Sherlock Holmes mystery last night. Generally, I don't care for "updated" or modern versions of old favorites, but I do like this Sherlock very much. His brother, Mycroft, is played a lot more bitey and disapproving/distainful than I remember the original. I don't care for that too much.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 12:32:14 PM »
I didn't care for the Sherlock Holmes last night at all.  It lost me after 15 minutes.  I'm back looking at the old Sherlock series on Netflix.

Babi

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 08:08:11 AM »
 Just wanted to say I taped the first of the new Holmes/Watson series and watched it
yesterday.  As good as I remembered.  I'm still just as delighted as I was when a kid, for
Sherlock Holmes to look someone over and pick up a number of clues as to who/what they'
are,where they came from and what they were doing.  After being cued to a few key clues in
this latest film, I gleefully figured out where the guy was from and where he must be taking
Holmes. So pleased with myself. 8)  ;D
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

rosemarykaye

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2012, 03:13:39 AM »
Isn't it good, Babi?  And don't you just love Martin Freeman?  (Daughters, of course, love Benedict himself...)

Rosemary

Babi

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2012, 08:37:31 AM »
 Top notch, ROSEMARY.  My only complaint is that there are, apparently, only three episodes.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Phyll

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2012, 09:15:28 AM »
I am definitely not a Sherlockian.  I never cared for the books and only remember Basil Rathbone as the "real" Sherlock.  Absolutely hated the version with the English actor that played Freddie in My Fair Lady...what was his name?!!  Anyway, I thought his portrayal of S. Holmes was terrible.  That version turned Holmes into a near psychopath, IMO.  But, I like this new version very much....it's just plain fun and has some unforeseen (at least by me) twists and turns that keep me very interested.    I'm looking forward to the next episodes.

And, I find it so interesting how the role of Lewis has progressed from the early days of being Morse's not-too-bright assistant to the much smarter, take charge investigator that he is now.  And the actor who portrays him has grown along with it.  I love the lines that life has written on his face.

Yes, it is going to be a good mystery season.
phyllis

Roxania

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2012, 04:22:03 PM »
I get a kick out of this version--it's so quick and witty, and I thought the ending was a complete hoot.  Holmes is such an iconic character that it's fun to see how he is re-imagined by each generation. 

Phyll commented that Jeremy Brett's Holmes was "almost psychopathic."  I'm not a mental health professional or anything, but I've always wondered whether Holmes would today be diagnosed as either a high-functioning autistic or as having Asperger's Syndrome.  There's more than a little bit of a character like Dustin Hoffman's "Rain Man" in Cumberbatch's Holmes, in particular, but I think it's there in the books as well.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2012, 01:35:03 AM »
I enjoyed the Sherlock Holmes episode too. It showed a lighter side of Holmes.

I'm one who also liked Jeremy Brett's eccentric Holmes.

Roxania, I think you're right that Sherlock Holmes could likely having something like Asperger's.

Phyll

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2012, 09:43:13 AM »
I leave it up to those of you that are more familiar with the actual Sherlock Holmes' books to determine if Jeremy Brett (thank you for reminding me of his name) gave a true portrayal of Holmes.  As I said, I didn't care for the Conan Doyle books so did not read more than one.  I just found that Brett's version was too quirky for my taste.  I'm not a mental health professional either....not anywhere near...but I do know a little about Aspergers since my grandson deals with that condition every day of his life.  In comparison with his behavior I think I would have called Sherlock Holmes' character as more of a Manic/Depressive than someone with Autism.  But, I repeat, I'm definitely not an authority.

I liked this version very much and I'm looking forward to next Sunday.  It is just plain fun.  And I particularly like this Dr. Watson who seems constantly befuddled by Holmes and yet still comes off as intelligent on his own. 
phyllis

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2012, 10:52:22 AM »
Phyll, yes "manic/depressive" could describe Jeremy Brett's portrayal too! He definitely was a complex character. Maybe that is why I enjoyed him.

I agree that Watson seems intelligent and sympathetic in this new TV version.... as well as the two actors who played Watson in the "Jeremy Brett" adaptation. I like their interplay.

jeriron

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2012, 12:11:01 PM »
 I agree this Holmes is Manic/depressive or what they now call Bi-Polar.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2012, 01:22:43 PM »
I don't think Benedict C plays Holmes as a manic depressive - Aspergic yes, - it's made clear that he doesn't understand social interaction, that's why the lovely Watson is always having to explain it to him - but he doesn't seem to me to have the mood swings that I believe characterise manic depression.  I love it when they show how his mind is working by showing the connections on the screen (if you know what I mean!).  I think the fact that he is so ultra-logical is another Aspergic thing, isn't it?  I'm glad no-one can see the way my mind works sometimes  :)

Phyll

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2012, 01:39:20 PM »
I agree that B.C. is putting a different slant on the Holmes character, Rosemary, and perhaps that is why I'm enjoying this version so much more than the Jeremy Brett version.  They are making it fun and the adaptation to a modern century is well done.  The jury is out in my mind as to whether I like the portrayal of Mycroft in this version.  Somehow, he doesn't seem to ring true to me.  Can't put my finger on why.

BTW, I'm just curious....do you think that Benedict Cumberbatch is his real name?  And if it isn't, why on earth would he choose that, I wonder?
phyllis

rosemarykaye

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2012, 02:21:07 PM »
Oh I think it is Phyll - he's an old Harrovian (ie Harrow School) - v posh, and they just love names like that!

Phyll

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2012, 03:25:11 PM »
Poor soul.
phyllis

Frybabe

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2012, 04:15:39 PM »
I distinctly get the impression that this Mycroft is much more disdainful (viscous sounding) than the other Mycrofts. It has been so long since I've read Sherlock Holmes that I can't say how Doyle portrayed him. I just think former Mycrofts were more inclined to treat SH as an eccentric or even a little condescending of his lifestyle.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2012, 04:22:37 PM »
I agree about the portrayal of Mycroft. There seems to be more sibling rivalry in this adaptation.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2012, 04:32:23 PM »
I came across an interesting blog about the way the Irene Adler character is portrayed in this episode. See the blog and the differing comments that follow it at http://stavvers.wordpress.com/2012/01/01/irene-adler-how-to-butcher-a-brilliant-woman-character/

Frybabe

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2012, 05:35:06 PM »
That sounds about right. I was startled when she said she got advice from Moriarty. But, again, I haven't read the books since high school, so I thought maybe I just didn't remember that bit. The ending was certainly different too. Would you rescue her is you knew she was getting advice from your nemesis? Still, I enjoyed the show very much.

Babi

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2012, 07:19:58 AM »
 I agree,PHYLL; Mycroft as played in this series is not true to the original. For one thing,
he gets out and about much more. Doyle's Mycroft was more like a spider at the center of
a web, seldom moving but alert to every quiver in his web. 

Frybabe

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2012, 07:53:03 AM »
Doyle's Mycroft was more like a spider at the center of
a web, seldom moving but alert to every quiver in his web. 

Well said, Babi.

Phyll

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2012, 08:43:58 AM »
I think you defined it for me, Babi.  The original Mycroft seemed so much more mysterious, devious, manipulative?  Sort of a shadow figure.
phyllis

Frybabe

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2012, 09:31:23 AM »
If I remember correctly, isn't Mycroft the older brother? I got the impression, long ago, that he felt responsible for and kept an eye on (but from a distance) SH's wellbeing.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2012, 10:43:22 AM »
Babi, your spider analogy gave me shivers!

There is some great information about Mycroft (Sherlock's older brother by 7 years) at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycroft_Holmes. It's taken from two of the four stories in which Mycroft appears.

Among the information:
"Heavily built and massive, there was a suggestion of uncouth physical inertia in the figure, but above this unwieldy frame there was perched a head so masterful in its brow, so alert in its steel-gray, deep-set eyes, so firm in its lips, and so subtle in its play of expression, that after the first glance one forgot the gross body and remembered only the dominant mind."
The Bruce-Partington Plans

Frybabe

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2012, 11:47:28 AM »
Kind of reminds me of Nero Wolf, who was grossly overweight, didn't like to leave the house, and had his underlings do all the legwork while he came up with a solution.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2012, 10:36:16 PM »
Oh, yes, Frybabe. I had forgotten about Nero Wolf.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2012, 04:14:48 PM »
Looks like our library is still buying and putting out "50 shades of gray". I don't know if my name is still down for it.  Can't say I am that interested now after all the talk.
Can't think it would have more in it than
 books written by Anne Rice (Under the name A.N Rocuelaure"  The Sleeping Beauty books.  Never yet read any.  Will get one just to see what the fuss all about.

Books anymore have to come out in Large Print for me to bother reading. Lots are that way now.