Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece Mystery 2012  (Read 92824 times)

rosemarykaye

Re: PBS Masterpiece Mystery 2012
« Reply #80 on: May 28, 2012, 02:17:49 AM »

Masterpiece Mystery 2012 presents the best British mysteries. See the complete 2012 MASTERPIECE MYSTERY schedule.   

NOW DISCUSSING
Let's talk about any PBS program of interest to us.

Inspector Lewis: Indelible Stain
July 29, 2012 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
A controversial American academic is found strangled after a guest lecture at Oxford, leading Lewis and Hathaway to narrow down a list of motives that includes politics, ambition and vengeance, in order to find their culprit.

ALREADY DISCUSSED

Inspector Lewis: Fearful Symmetry
July 22, 2012 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Lewis and Hathaway are drawn into a darker side of Oxford while investigating the murder of a suburban babysitter. Will the babysitter's secret life help the detectives unravel a tangled web of lies and deceit to find their killer?

Inspector Lewis: Generation of Vipers
July 15, 2012 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Suspicions abound as Lewis and Hathaway investigate the death of a lovelorn Oxford professor. Was her death caused by an embarrassing Internet leak, or something much more sinister? Toby Stephens (Jane Eyre) guest stars.

Inspector Lewis: The Soul of Genius
July 8, 2012 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Botany, rivalry and secrecy collide when Lewis and Hathaway attempt to find the killer of an obsessed professor. Kick off the new season of Inspector Lewis with The Soul of Genius. Celia Imrie (Cranford) co-stars.

Endeavour
July 1, 2012 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Before his signature red Jaguar, before Inspector Morse, there was the rookie Constable Morse, deductive powers already running in high gear. Shaun Evans (The Take, The Virgin Queen) portrays Endeavour Morse, the low man on the force returning to Oxford with no track record and his future on the line.

ZEN: Encore Episodes (from 2011)

Three 90-minute mysteries — Sundays, June 10, 17 & 24, 2012
 What does an honest cop do when corruption rules on both sides of the law? Detective Aurelio Zen (Rufus Sewell, Middlemarch), based on the novels by British crime writer Michael Dibdin, brings justice to modern-day Italy, whether the authorities want it or not. Check your local listings to see if the programs are broadcast on your PBS station.

Sherlock Holmes: The Reichenbach Fall
May 20, 2012 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
The crime of the century is just a prelude for the unhinged criminal mastermind, Jim Moriarty (Andrew Scott, Lennon Naked), when he poses the diabolical and inescapable "final problem" to Sherlock.

Sherlock Holmes: The Hounds of Baskerville
May 13, 2012 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Sherlock and Watson track a gigantic hound to Baskerville, where the military is conducting top-secret experiments. But whether demonic or dubious, something is stalking the moors.

Sherlock Holmes: A Scandal in Belgravia
May 6, 2012 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Picking up from Season 1's gripping cliffhanger, the whip-smart Irene Adler (Lara Pulver, True Blood) takes on Sherlock in a game he is ill-prepared to fight...love. Watch online through 6/5/12

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP and marcie

MaryPage

« Reply #81 on: May 28, 2012, 06:17:16 AM »
Thanks, Rosemary.  I am a big fan of Emily Watson.  The name Dominic West rings a bell, but cannot at this moment place him.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #82 on: May 28, 2012, 06:38:39 AM »
MaryPage - here is some info about Dominic:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0922035/

Rosemary

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: May 28, 2012, 12:38:05 PM »
Rosemary, Thanks very much for those highlights from the BAFTAs. I remember Dominic West from THE HOUR.

MaryPage

« Reply #84 on: May 29, 2012, 11:31:43 AM »
I'm afraid I do not remember him from anywhere at all.  I never saw The Wire or the other shows listed.  I did watch THE HOUR, but do not remember him in that.

Thanks, Rosemary!

rosemarykaye

« Reply #85 on: May 29, 2012, 11:35:34 AM »
'Appropriate Adult' (the drama based on Fred & Rosemary West) was re-shown last night on ITV4, so Anna recorded it for us to watch when we feel up to it - it is meant to be excellent, but I'm sure it's not for the fainthearted.

Emily Watson is so versatile - Hilary & Jackie, Oranges & Sunshine, and now this.  She deserved the award.

Rosemary

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #86 on: June 02, 2012, 05:50:48 PM »
I am looking forward to the PBS show tonight from 7 to 10pm. It is the second story from the "Phantom of the Opera"  What happened to him in years later.  I read the book.  Just can't remember the name of it now.Was something like "Love goes on".

Only thing is, this weekend on ours, they are again asking for money. I hate the thought that they are going to spoil the show by coming in every 30 min. and talking for 15 min.  Already they have done this 3 time this year.
It spoils it for lot of people.  At times I will just stop watching

mabel1015j

« Reply #87 on: June 02, 2012, 06:33:19 PM »
One of our PBS stations shows the British comedies on Sat night. I see they have brought back reruns of "Chef" which i loved.

Jean

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #88 on: June 02, 2012, 07:35:21 PM »
Ours usual to run the British Comedies also. but tonight that show will be one. "Love never dies" That is the Followup to  P of the O.  With it being a special they can run the asking for Funds.  At the Moment Lawrance Welk show is on and they are doing it on it also. The one that was put together years after he died. All the people are so much older.

Maybe it is just a Local station that is doing it today.

mabel1015j

« Reply #89 on: June 03, 2012, 04:04:23 PM »
Hope you're not missing the royal family weddings on BBC America, and then Prince Harry and the Will and Kate and then the Diamond Jubilee.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #90 on: June 03, 2012, 06:21:44 PM »
Thanks, Mabel. I've been watching it off and on today.

mabel1015j

« Reply #91 on: June 03, 2012, 11:26:41 PM »
The BBC programming was terrific! Queen Elizabeth really was/is so attractive and always looks so stylish. I love that she wears those bright colors. How she has the energy to do all those events is amazing.

Jean

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #92 on: June 04, 2012, 10:24:54 AM »
Queen Elizabeth is amazing. Always so calm and poised and she seems to always be asking about the welfare of the people she meets.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: June 04, 2012, 10:25:32 AM »
My PBS station showed repeats of Downton Abbey last evening.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #94 on: June 04, 2012, 01:27:26 PM »
Getting a little showing of the Jubilee on the Local Stations today.  Feel so sad to see how it rained on all those people standing along the Thames River watching the boats. Over a thousand of them did show.

So proud of how the British will show respect no matter what they have to do to get it done.  Queen and Philip looked good. Smiling all the time.

Babi

« Reply #95 on: June 05, 2012, 08:03:06 AM »
  I would suppose the English are well accustomed to going about their business in the rain.  It
does rain so much there.  Which, of course, why June is chosen for most of the official celebrations....it generally has the best weather of the year.  I do hope the rest of the
events will have sunshine.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #96 on: June 05, 2012, 03:04:10 PM »
I have always been lucky when I have gone home to UK.  It is End of April until May or End of September.  Like to go when Schools are  in Session and most Tourist have been. Weather seems to be good for me.
Not trying this year as to much has been going on what with the Olympics coming up next.  Also flights just to expensive right now

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #97 on: June 09, 2012, 01:29:41 AM »
Those of us whose PBS stations are not showing encore presentations of ZEN will be able to watch them online for a limited time. The first episode, VENDETTA, will be available online starting Monday, June 11, 2012.

We can also see all three episodes of Sherlock season 2 online for a limited time -- available through June 19, 2012 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch/index.html?elq=ddf3efc5ed774aee9204da759fbc85d9&elqCampaignId=367

MaryPage

« Reply #98 on: June 11, 2012, 05:36:43 PM »
Have read every single one of the Aurelio Zen books by Michael Dibdin (now deceased), and loved every one.  The films are great and watched each one twice now and could enjoy them again.

Now that we have lost my favorite mystery author, Reginald Hill, I have a new favorite.  Kate Atkinson.

The British made a series of Hill's Dalziel & Pascoe, and it ran for a number of seasons.  I bought all of the DVDs.

They also took the first 3 of Atkinson's Jackson Brodie series and made a television series.  I bought that and watched it several times.

Have just finished STARTED EARLY, TOOK MY DOG, and  am amazed at the detail Atkinson puts in re each character's thinking.  Apparently she thinks just the way I do about a lot of things, but she has really old age down pat.  I find her brilliant.

Babi

« Reply #99 on: June 12, 2012, 08:54:55 AM »
  You make Kate Atkinson sound intriguing, MARYPAGE.  Old age and pets, how appropriate. I'll
look her up.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #100 on: June 17, 2012, 04:34:33 PM »
If your PBS station doesn't show the second ZEN episode -- CABAL -- tonight, it will be available online starting tomorrow, along with last week's episode of VENDETTA. See http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch/index.html

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #101 on: June 17, 2012, 04:40:17 PM »
Zulema, if you see this note, will you please update your email address, or let me know and I'll  help you. The Book Bytes email newsletter was returned from the email address we used for you.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #102 on: June 17, 2012, 05:35:12 PM »
I Believe "Zen" is showing to be on our PBS tonight. I must have missed "Vandetta". The Past 3 weeks they were doing a MOney beg again and didn't watch any of the things they did show.  Old TV concerts, Opera, Talk from Dr. Investing.  Most lasting 2-3 hours. They would get more people calling in if they ran the regular type things which are usually on

Frybabe

« Reply #103 on: June 17, 2012, 05:42:50 PM »
My PBS station was running similar all this last week, too, JeanneP. I did get to see Vendetta last night, though. They ran it at nine. Glad I did. I liked it a lot better after watching it this time. Cabal is on tonight, but I may not watch it because Ice Road Truckers is on. I can watch Cabal next Sat.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #104 on: June 17, 2012, 10:50:34 PM »
I watched Zen tonight.  I like these kind of shows but this is one, like tonights, I had no idea what the plot was.  Even at the end I was lost.  I think he mumbles also.  Good looking but don't think I will bother to watch it again.

MaryPage

« Reply #105 on: June 22, 2012, 03:43:29 PM »
Even though I have read all of Dibdin's books featuring Aurelio Zen, I could not enjoy the films without the Closed Captioning subtitle feature.  With that, I am just as happy as can be and have watched each of the Zen movies twice now.

MaryPage

« Reply #106 on: June 25, 2012, 08:09:37 AM »
Last night from eight until midnight I was treated to three hours of Kenneth Branagh playing Kurt Wallander.  It was on one of our PBS stations, and they were repeats I had seen before, but I had a ball.  Lovely.

Frybabe

« Reply #107 on: June 25, 2012, 08:16:06 AM »
I ended up not watching Zen last night. There was some kind of background noise throughout (I checked periodically) that sounded almost like some novice doing Morse code. It was annoying. My favorite of the three was Cabal which was on last week.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #108 on: June 25, 2012, 04:23:47 PM »
A couple of old Agatha Christie's were showing on my PBS station.

How lucky you were, MaryPage, to see Wallander again. I just found a new Wallander book, the last in the series. It was written by Henning Mankell in 2009 and translated into English in 2011. It's called THE TROUBLED MAN.

Frybabe, you can still watch ZEN on the PBS website. The three episodes have different end dates in July. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch/index.html

rosemarykaye

« Reply #109 on: June 30, 2012, 06:09:35 PM »
The Morse 'prequel' is good, I hope you all enjoy it.

For the first time ever, I've just watched an episode of Lewis all the way through without interruptions - girls having a Lord of the Rings marathon downstairs, husband away, cats ejected from bedroom.  And I still couldn't follow the plot  ??? ::)  But it was lovely and peaceful!

Rosemary

Babi

« Reply #110 on: July 01, 2012, 09:00:18 AM »
  I don't recognize the title of the show scheduled on PBS for this evening.  I do hope it's that
Morse prequel, ROSEMARY.  (ps., I remember what it was like with teenagers in the house. Peace
and quiet can be a very wonderful thing.  :) )

Frybabe

« Reply #111 on: July 01, 2012, 10:03:24 AM »
Apparently, the title of the Morse prequel is called Endeavour. I do not think I ever knew what Morse's first name was. Should be interesting. I haven't checked to see if my station is running it tonight. I sure hope so.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #112 on: July 01, 2012, 02:09:41 PM »
A quick reminder~

July 1 already!  This is the first day of the new discussion of Great Expectations.  We hope you are planning to join us  at a slow summer pace (about 45-50 pages a week.)  We're quite sure we'll come out of it with new apprecation and understanding of what Dickens intended with this novel - more than a boy's coming of age story, though Pip's story is fascinating.  You'll be pleasantly surprised.  Join us HERE - today!

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #113 on: July 01, 2012, 03:36:01 PM »
I am wondering what that show is about also.  Wonder if it is about 'Morse" as a young man starting out.?  Also another hour prior showing the Royal Family.  I enjoy them.  Other than that there is nothing else worth watching.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #114 on: July 01, 2012, 04:25:44 PM »
Here is a description of the ENDEAVOUR program from the PBS website:

"It's 1965, and a 15-year-old Oxford schoolgirl, last seen waiting alone in the rain at a bus stop on early Sunday morning, has disappeared and is presumed dead. The hunt for Mary Tremlett draws rookie Detective Endeavour Morse (Shaun Evans), the conflicted young detective on the verge of resignation, back to the university he'd suddenly left only a few years before. Stuck between town and gown, he is patronized by his arrogant old rival, now ascending the ivory tower, and scorned by a DS contemptuous of the "college boy." Only the former opera diva Rosalind Stromming, wife of an Oxford tutor with a murky connection to the missing girl, can offer him solace as he tries to navigate a hostile supervisor, the ghosts of his past, and a mystery that deepens with another tragic death. Discredited and at a dead-end, the solitary and cerebral Endeavour drives his first Jaguar, drinks his first pint and, to the sublime strains of opera, fights for the truth as he forges the identity that will someday become Inspector Morse. Roger Allam stars as DI Fred Thursday and Abigail Thaw (Inspector Morse star John Thaw's daughter) makes a special cameo appearance in Endeavour."

There are short video interviews with Shaun Evans and Abigail Thaw at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/endeavour/interviews.html

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #115 on: July 01, 2012, 06:32:04 PM »
Thought that would be what it was about.  Looking forward to seeing it.  Wonder if it is just one show or a few week on Masterpiece.
His daughter is a pretty women.  I miss John Thaw.  She must more.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #116 on: July 01, 2012, 08:44:20 PM »
JeanneP, so far, it's only going to be the one episode, Endeavour. I don't know if they will create more if there is a lot of positive reaction.

Inspector Lewis: Season 5 starts next week and will run with 4 new episodes.

I miss John Thaw too. He was terrific as Inspector Morse. I can still see and hear him saying "Lewis!" in exasperation.  I do like the team of Lewis and Hathaway too (but not as much as Morse and Lewis).

MaryPage

« Reply #117 on: July 01, 2012, 11:09:30 PM »
I like Lewis and Hathaway just as well, truly I do.  And I love, love, love the shots of Oxford.

Tonight was great.  Thaw's daughter played the editor of The Oxford Mail.  I liked the plot, although I did guess who did it and how way too early on.  I believe that is called telegraphing.  But then again, it is better than totally not having a clue.

Yes, I really liked this show.  Hey, did she die?  The singer?  Or did she get out of prison decades later and Morse, who had ALWAYS been in love with her, saw her one more time?  And listened to the record forever.  Huh?  Is my memory going crackers again?

Frybabe

« Reply #118 on: July 02, 2012, 08:22:39 AM »
Loved the show.

Your memory is better than mine MaryPage. I don't remember if the singer survived her suicide (attempt or successful?) Wonder if there is any background on that somewhere.

Did you catch the end when he looked in the car rearview mirror? Very well done. If any of you recognized the red jaguar on the car lot, that is the one used in the original series.

Wikipedia says there are four more shows scheduled for production this summer.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #119 on: July 02, 2012, 11:10:53 AM »
Now I loved the show.Now didn't Thaw's daughter play the part of the Singer who did the murder? Looks like her.  I just could not tie the young man who played Morse as a younger man. Couldn't picture him then turning into what Morse was like with John Thaw.  Also didn''t Thaw limp from having had something as a child that made one leg shorter than the other.  Fact I believe this was true for him and they carried the story just to cover him walking different.

Now will this be just the one show?  Notice that "Lewis " will start again next Sunday.