Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece Mystery 2012  (Read 92985 times)

Frybabe

Re: PBS Masterpiece Mystery 2012
« Reply #280 on: September 24, 2012, 04:36:51 PM »

Masterpiece Mystery 2012 presents the best British mysteries. See the complete 2012 MASTERPIECE MYSTERY schedule.   

NOW DISCUSSING

Wallander: Season 3
Three 90-minute mysteries — Sundays, Sept. 9, 16 & 23, 2012

The brooding Swedish cop Wallander (Kenneth Branagh) returns with a new home and relationship, a new sense of possibility, and three chilling new cases with devastating effects.

Wallander: Before the Frost
September 23, 2012 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
A hiker meets a grisly end, and the childhood friend of Wallander's daughter, Linda, appears out of nowhere, then disappears. Don't miss the riveting Wallander season finale.

ALREADY DISCUSSED

Wallander: Dogs of Riga
September 16, 2012 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
The gruesome appearance in the Baltic Sea of two corpses floating in a raft prompts Wallander to pursue justice in an eerie post-Soviet Latvia rife with corruption. Ingeborga Dapkunaite (Prime Suspect 6) guest stars.

Wallander: An Event in Autumn
September 9, 2012 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Wallander's peaceful new start is disrupted when investigations of two murdered, anonymous girls take him far from home... and to the very heart of it.

Inspector Lewis: Indelible Stain
July 29, 2012 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
A controversial American academic is found strangled after a guest lecture at Oxford, leading Lewis and Hathaway to narrow down a list of motives that includes politics, ambition and vengeance, in order to find their culprit.

Inspector Lewis: Fearful Symmetry
July 22, 2012 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Lewis and Hathaway are drawn into a darker side of Oxford while investigating the murder of a suburban babysitter. Will the babysitter's secret life help the detectives unravel a tangled web of lies and deceit to find their killer?

Inspector Lewis: Generation of Vipers
July 15, 2012 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Suspicions abound as Lewis and Hathaway investigate the death of a lovelorn Oxford professor. Was her death caused by an embarrassing Internet leak, or something much more sinister? Toby Stephens (Jane Eyre) guest stars.

Inspector Lewis: The Soul of Genius
July 8, 2012 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Botany, rivalry and secrecy collide when Lewis and Hathaway attempt to find the killer of an obsessed professor. Kick off the new season of Inspector Lewis with The Soul of Genius. Celia Imrie (Cranford) co-stars.

Endeavour
July 1, 2012 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Before his signature red Jaguar, before Inspector Morse, there was the rookie Constable Morse, deductive powers already running in high gear. Shaun Evans (The Take, The Virgin Queen) portrays Endeavour Morse, the low man on the force returning to Oxford with no track record and his future on the line.

ZEN: Encore Episodes (from 2011)

Three 90-minute mysteries — Sundays, June 10, 17 & 24, 2012
 What does an honest cop do when corruption rules on both sides of the law? Detective Aurelio Zen (Rufus Sewell, Middlemarch), based on the novels by British crime writer Michael Dibdin, brings justice to modern-day Italy, whether the authorities want it or not. Check your local listings to see if the programs are broadcast on your PBS station.

Sherlock Holmes: The Reichenbach Fall
May 20, 2012 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
The crime of the century is just a prelude for the unhinged criminal mastermind, Jim Moriarty (Andrew Scott, Lennon Naked), when he poses the diabolical and inescapable "final problem" to Sherlock.

Sherlock Holmes: The Hounds of Baskerville
May 13, 2012 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Sherlock and Watson track a gigantic hound to Baskerville, where the military is conducting top-secret experiments. But whether demonic or dubious, something is stalking the moors.

Sherlock Holmes: A Scandal in Belgravia
May 6, 2012 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Picking up from Season 1's gripping cliffhanger, the whip-smart Irene Adler (Lara Pulver, True Blood) takes on Sherlock in a game he is ill-prepared to fight...love. Watch online through 6/5/12

Discussion Leader:marcie

Linda, I meant to mention there are two Wallander series. One is the Swedish TV show  (26 episodes and, I think a few "cinema" films according to Wikipedia) and the other is the BBC production series with Branagh as Wallander. I believe that the Swedish series was also shown in the UK.

I'll get to watch this last one again this coming Saturday.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #281 on: September 24, 2012, 05:05:41 PM »
tra la - here it is although the info says only till 11:59 on the 23rd of the month which was yesterday - but I have it streaming in now...

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch-online/full-episodes/wallander-series-iii-frost/
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #282 on: September 24, 2012, 05:13:50 PM »
Ok still not clear - who is the young Mom with the little ones at the table that Wallander and another woman police officer visits and get the key from this young Mom to Anna's apartment?
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Frybabe

« Reply #283 on: September 24, 2012, 05:30:28 PM »
I don't remember that bit. Landlord maybe?

MaryPage

« Reply #284 on: September 24, 2012, 06:07:38 PM »
I am not sure, but my memory tells me that when Wallander's daughter (Linda, blond) wanted to go check on her friend to see if she was ok, and Linda did not find her friend at home, she stopped at the home in the same building of a mutual friend of hers and her friend's to pick up the key to her friend's apartment so that she, Linda, could stay in her friend's apartment until she returned from wherever she had disappeared to.  And Linda's friend had told her this mutual friend/neighbor had a key.  And, obviously, she had told the friend/neighbor that Linda was allowed to claim the key and enter the apartment.

That is my take on it.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #285 on: September 24, 2012, 06:22:42 PM »
I was just looking MaryPage at a the show and Linda had a key so that she stayed the first night at Anna's and only gets in touch with her father that she appears gone for good while he is walking in the woods when  he finds the grave - it was only after that Wallander and a female police officer in plain clothes visits this Mom and gets a key to Anna's - Don't want to watch it yet again but maybe tonight...

Babi

« Reply #286 on: September 25, 2012, 08:55:24 AM »
 So much confusion!  I am quite happy I did not care to watch it.  :)
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

jeriron

« Reply #287 on: September 25, 2012, 09:11:24 AM »
Me too.  I have it on DVD but I'm not sure I'll bother with it. It sounds more like a soap opera.

salan

« Reply #288 on: September 25, 2012, 06:15:33 PM »
Now that I know that PBS cuts 8-10 minutes out of the BBC productions, I am wondering if that is what makes some of the programs confusing.  Has anyone watched the uncut productions?  I have frequently felt like some of the productions skip over vital portions--maybe that's the fault of PBS, not BBC.  They are still worth watching imo!
Sally

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #289 on: September 25, 2012, 10:14:11 PM »
I wonder that sounds like a good rational for becoming confused - I would think a TV adaptation should be able to stand on its own without having to reference the original novel - I guess I can dream on...  ::)

Alll in all the Wallander series is far better than most police/detective TV shows from the US. The characters are so much more believable as real people - there is nothing stylized about the show nor are they dependent on the latest lab technology and computer science.

I have no idea when this story was written but there are bits and pieces that remind me of the mass murderer Norway dealt with last year and the guy was brought to trail this year. I think he too was a religious ideologist with strong views about 'others' - Islam, Judaism, Woman, Gays etc.

Babi

« Reply #290 on: September 26, 2012, 09:15:54 AM »
 In that respect I would have to agree with you, BARB.  The English and European films don't seem to make everyone
witty, or charming, or handsome/beautiful.  Can you really imagine a group of officers, or any group for that matter,
where everyone is a master of one-liners, quips, and pungent comments?
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #291 on: September 26, 2012, 12:15:21 PM »
We can continue to talk about Wallander and related topics in this discussion.

We've opened a new discussion for Masterpiece Classic's new 2012-2013 season which will start at the end of this month with re-broadcasts of Season 1 of the new Upstairs Downstairs. Then Downtown Abbey will follow. A new program, Mr. Selfridge, is promised for 2013. It's a drama series based on the real life story of the flamboyant and visionary American founder of Selfridge's, London's lavish department store.

See more info in our new Masterpiece Classics discussion at http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=3496.0

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #292 on: September 26, 2012, 01:27:08 PM »
I understand the fall episodes of Downton are what we have seen and the new does not start till after Christmas.