Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece Classic 2012-2013  (Read 116483 times)

marcie

• Administrator
Re: PBS Masterpiece Classic 2012-2013
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2012, 11:13:42 PM »

Masterpiece Classic brings back favorite authors and programs and introduces new programs. See the 2013 MASTERPIECE CLASSIC schedule.

NOW DISCUSSING
What's playing on your PBS station? What programs do you continue to enjoy?

Downton Abbey: Season 3, Episode 7
1 95-minute episode — Sunday, February 17, 2013

The Crawleys head to a Scottish hunting lodge, while the downstairs staff stays behind at Downton Abbey. New romances flare up, and a fresh crisis unfolds.

COMING

Page Eight

February 24,, 2013 at 9pm

One 120-minute episode
Sixty-something MI-5 agent Johnny Worricker has amassed an impressive art collection, an amicable collection of ex-wives, and a droll, unflappable relationship with the work he enjoys alongside his boss and best friend, MI5 chief Benedict Baron. But when Benedict brings to light damning evidence of British complicity with illegal American torture operations, it falls to Johnny to do the right thing.

Song of Lunch

March 24,, 2013 at 9pm

One 120-minute episode
A dramatisation of Christopher Reid's narrative poem, telling the story of a book editor who, 15 years after their break-up, meets his former love for a nostalgic lunch at the Soho restaurant they used to frequent. The production is unusual in featuring little spoken dialogue, the action instead being an enactment of incidents described in poetic monologue of the male character. Starring Alan Rickman & Emma Thompson.

Mr. Selfridge

March 31,, 2013 at 9pm

One 120-minute episode
Upstart American Harry Selfridge moves heaven and earth to build his visionary department store in London. But opening day is just the start of his retail revolution.  Three-time Emmy® winner Jeremy Piven (in his first television appearance since his iconic role as Hollywood agent Ari Gold in Entourage) stars as Harry Gordon Selfridge, the flamboyant entrepreneur and showman seeking to provide London's shoppers with the ultimate merchandise and the ultimate thrill. Mr. Selfridge is created by Emmy® Award-winning writer Andrew Davies (Pride and Prejudice, Bleak House).

ALREADY DISCUSSED

Downton Abbey: Season 3, Episode 6
1 120-minute episode — Sunday, February 10, 2013

Change arrives in a big way for several key characters at Downton Abbey. A yearly cricket match with the village sees old scores settled and new plots hatched.

Downton Abbey: Season 3, Episode 5
1 60-minute episode — Sunday, February 3, 2013

Things go badly amiss at Downton Abbey. Robert and Cora are not speaking. The servants are shunning Matthew's mother Isobel. And Matthew and Robert have fallen out. Also, Bates takes a gamble.

Downton Abbey: Season 3, Episode 4
1 60-minute episode — Sunday, January 27, 2013

The Crawley family faces its severest test yet. Meanwhile, new faces try to fit into the tight-knit circle of servants. And new evidence turns up in a baffling case.

Downton Abbey: Season 3, Episode 3
1 60-minute episode — Sunday, January 20, 2013

Two social revolutions arrive at Downton Abbey: the Irish civil war and the fight for women's suffrage. A mysterious conspiracy keeps Anna and Bates apart.

Downton Abbey: Season 3, Episode 2
1 60-minute episode — Sunday, January 13, 2013

The fate of Downton Abbey hinges on a letter from a dead man. Edith and Sir Anthony face their own fateful moment. Mrs. Hughes confronts a crisis.

Downton Abbey: Season 3, Episode 1
1 120-minute episode — Sunday, January 6, 2013

Wedding guests descend on Downton Abbey, where disasters large and small threaten. One is Cora's freewheeling American mother, who tries to loosen up her in-laws.

Downton Abbey Revisited
1 90-minute episode — Sunday, November 25, 2012

Savor highlights from the first two seasons and get a preview of Season 3 in this new PBS special.

Upstairs Downstairs: Season 2, Episode 6
1 90-minute episode — Sunday, November 11, 2012

A chance remark at the Foreign Office alerts Hallam that one of his associates is a German spy—with tragic consequences. As war is declared, life upstairs and downstairs is transformed at Eaton Place.

Upstairs Downstairs: Season 2, Episode 5
1 90-minute episode — Sunday, November 4, 2012

With war looming, romance is in the air—illicit and otherwise. Hallam, Agnes, Landry, and Persie each pursue their heart’s desire in different ways. Harry and Beryl get engaged. And even Pritchard finds a soulmate.

Upstairs Downstairs: Season 2, Episode 4
1 90-minute episode — Sunday, October 28, 2012

All of London sees Agnes’s shapely legs when she models stockings for Landry’s company—offending Hallam. Intent on impressing Beryl, Harry enters the servants’ boxing competition as Johnny’s manager.

Upstairs Downstairs: Season 2, Episode 3
1 90-minute episode — Sunday, October 21, 2012

Hallam’s Aunt Blanche appears in a novel by a former lover, sparking a scandal that threatens the good name of Eaton Place. Meanwhile, Agnes’s demands on the servants bring a social worker to set her straight.

Upstairs Downstairs: Season 2, Episode 2
1 90-minute episode — Sunday, October 14, 2012

Ambassador Kennedy and his dashing son Jack come to dinner at Eaton Place. But Agnes is more entranced by another guest: millionaire Caspar Landry. Before the evening is over, Mrs. Thackeray resigns.

Upstairs Downstairs: Season 2, Episode 1
1 90-minute episode — Sunday, October 7, 2012

Pritchard takes the rap for Johnny in a shocking incident, which leads to a revelation that casts the butler into disgrace. On a diplomatic mission to Germany, Hallam meets Persie, who has a Nazi lover.

Upstairs Downstairs: Season 1 - rebroadcast
3 60-minute episodes — Sunday, Sept. 30, 2012

It's 1936, a tumultuous time in Britain, and within the walls of 165 Eaton Place, characters from an orphanage, a damp Welsh castle, the heart of the British Raj and elsewhere together will face a changing world, not just upstairs and downstairs, but side by side. Written by Heidi Thomas (Cranford, Madame Bovary), Upstairs Downstairs stars co-creators of the original series Jean Marsh and Eileen Atkins (Cranford, Bertie and Elizabeth). Also starring are Ed Stoppard (Any Human Heart), Keeley Hawes (Wives and Daughters), and Claire Foy (Little Dorrit). Available online at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch-online/

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP and marcie

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2012, 12:58:14 PM »
I just did not believe that the current UpS. Down Stairs would hold the interest that the first one years ago did. How many seasons did it run? I was thinking 12. could be wrong. I won't bother to watch the last 2 of this one.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2012, 05:43:07 PM »
Jeanne, I copied this from wikipedia:

Upstairs, Downstairs ran for five series from 10 December 1971 to 21 December 1975. The first four series had thirteen episodes each, while the final series had sixteen.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2012, 02:56:17 PM »
Marcie.
It did seen to run for a long time, I never did get tired of watching it. Wonder if "Downton Abbey" will be as lucky. So far I have seen the 2 Seasons. Each one had 3 dvd for each Set. with each dvd running for 6 hours I believe..

nlhome

« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2012, 03:20:05 PM »
I actually am enjoying the Upstairs Downstairs episodes. I find that time period very interesting. I watched the series years ago and enjoyed that too. I wasn't expecting this current series to be any different from what it is -better than the programs with political ads, that's for sure.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2012, 06:05:31 PM »
I'm finding the series interesting too, especially Sir Hallam's involvement with the government and his trying to warn the people in charge about Hitler. There are also interesting social issues. It does have a bit of soap opera activity but I think that all of the actors are excellent and the sets, costumes, lighting, etc are great.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2012, 11:30:54 AM »
Oh my gosh, Persie!!! I don't want to say more until everyone has indicated they've watched the episode.

Hallam does seem to give clues about why he's having an affair with Persie. He is afraid that his wife, Agnes, doesn't need him anymore. Of course, he's being an idiot to think that his affair is going to help his state of mind.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2012, 02:25:31 PM »
Things sre definitely going from bad to worse upstairs and downstairs. Hope things look up next week.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2012, 03:11:48 AM »
I think the new Upstairs Downstairs had a hard time competing against Downton.

Incidentally, we saw the last episode of series 3 of Downton last Sunday - what will we do with our Sunday evenings now?  (They are doing a Christmas Special.)  Can't wait for Call the Midwife to come back.

Our papers say that the actor who plays Matthew is not coming back in Series 4, so that will no doubt give rise to another ridiculous plot twist - how we love them!

Rosemary

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2012, 03:23:47 PM »
"the actor who plays Matthew is not coming back in Series 4"

Oh dear, I wish you hadn't told me that. Well, we haven't even gotten series 3 yet.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2012, 05:47:08 PM »
Other than for the Christmas Special of "Call the Midwife" I didn't think that the show was coming back. Has there been another one shown in the UK  after the last we saw here 2 weeks ago? (This was where the on Nurse got married)
How many hours did No. 3 of Downton Abbey run in UK. When will they start No. 4.?

MaryPage

« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2012, 10:08:53 PM »
Well I watched the last episode of Upstairs/Downstairs tonight, and I loved it.  Enormous amount of drama, but some great photography and very British moments.  I loved Hallam's sister answering the door and, when questioned, saying she was "Miss Pamela Holland."  Good for her!  And then when she went to console Hallam and they hugged.  And at the end when Hallam goes off to his new job the Duke has set up for him at the Palace and Lady Agnes goes off to the Motor Corps and Lady Blanche to the Fire Brigade and Pritchard to Warden duties to get everyone into air raid shelters.  That is the way it was.  Those are the kind of things (minus the aristocracy and titles, of course) that we were doing in my hometown in Virginia when war broke out.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2012, 01:08:14 AM »
I too thought that the last episode was good. It didn't wrap everything up nicely. Everyone seems to have lost someone or something but there was a spirit of purpose, as you described, MaryPage.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2012, 03:33:08 AM »
Jeanne - I'm pretty sure I read an interview with Miranda Hart when she implied that Call the Midwife was returning - I certainly hope it will.

Not sure how many episodes there were Downton 3, and my daughter told me it won't be back for series 4 till well into 2013 (aside from the Christmas special, that is.)  I don't think they'd drop it though, it has massive ratings over here - though I do know many people who either record it or wait for the DVD, just because the adverts are so irritating - sometimes you begin to wonder if the programme's coming back on at all.  I suppose that's the price of success.

Rosemary

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2012, 12:22:48 PM »
When we are watching these shows here we do not be bothered much with advertising as they are shown on Public Broadcast. However they do tie them into asking for donations every 20 min. That spoils it for me. So far I have collected Series 1 an 2 on DVD. Will do the same when Series 3 comes out that way.  They will then be watched by most of my family who have never seen them. Enjoyed more.

I didn't realize that Hugh Bonneville. was so young in real life. His birthday was just last week and if memory serves me right, it said age 49. Looks older in person I think.

Bookjunky

« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2012, 11:32:32 PM »
I have been busy catching up on Upstairs Downstairs. I remember watching the original show on Sunday evening with my Dad and my sister. I can't say why we all loved the show so much but I have to say it was uncommon for the 3 of us to like the same show so much. I haven't been on the board much of late but I think I am here for the duration on this one.  :)

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2012, 11:56:43 PM »
Bookjunky, I'm glad you found us again. We'll be talking about Downton Abbey as the encore presentations of season 2 are shown but we can continue to talk about Upstairs Downstairs too.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2012, 07:16:31 PM »
No TV as such for me tonight.  Yesterday my name came up at the library for the No5 Series of "Army Wives". (9  hours of it). really enjoyed the last 4 series.  Watched the first 3 hours last night. Last part makes one cry.  So now tonight will watch the 2nd 3 hours and then one more 3 hours to go.

Bookjunky

« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2012, 09:00:38 PM »
The original Upstairs Downstairs series may be seen on Amazon Prime. I have my dvr set to record Downton! Amazon also has Downton Abbey series 2 on video.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2012, 10:16:03 PM »
Thanks for the info, Bookjunky.

Tonight on my PBS station, they are showing THE DUST BOWL. See http://www.pbs.org/kenburns/dustbowl/

rosemarykaye

« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2012, 03:46:08 AM »
Last night we saw the first episode of 'The Secret of Crickley Hall', which has apparently been dramatised from a novel by James Herbert.  I would never read that sort of thing usually, but Madeleine & I watched it - I was terrified and hid behind a cushion, whilst Madeleine (aged 14) thought the whole thing was laughable!

It was on BBC1 so maybe you will get it on PBS later?  I don't know if I will watch the remaining episodes - I had horrible dreams afterwards - but now that Downton is finished for the season, there isn't anything else on on a Sunday night, which has become our evening for watching TV in our pyjamas and then going to bed early (ish).

Incidentally, one of the characters is played by Tom Ellis, who is the chef and love interest in 'Miranda'.

Here is a link to the BBC site:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00t081w

Maybe some of you have read the book?

Rosemary

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2012, 11:12:32 AM »
Thanks for the information, Rosemary, about The Secret of Crickley Hall. I had not heard of the book.

It seems that at least one reviewer had a similar reaction to Madeleine's: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/tv-and-radio-reviews/9684160/The-Secret-of-Crickley-Hall-BBC-One-review.html

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2012, 01:48:15 PM »
Rosemary.

Wish we would get the DvD of "The secret of Crickley Hall" here. I love those kind of films and books. Loved Ghost stories since a small child. Nothing could scare me. Will see if by chance our library has the book.

MaryPage

« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2012, 09:52:33 PM »
Rosemary, I could handle Anything when I was 14.  Anything at all.

But now it is 70 years later for me, and I no longer can watch horror, scifi, scary and so forth.  I can watch the British cosies, but not the American car chase and other loud violence.

Yep, I relate to the difference in your reaction and Madeleine's to that ghost film!  You Betcha!

rosemarykaye

« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2012, 06:40:57 AM »
Last night I saw the first episode of a GREAT new three part (I think) series - "Last Tango in Halifax'.  It's about a retired couple who had a failed date (her mother made her family move house a day early, he thought she'd stood him up) when they were still at school.  They find one another via the internet and decide to meet up again.

The leads are played by none other than Derek Jacobi and Anne Reid, and they were both brilliant.  The supporting case - their daughters, grandchildren, etc - were also excellent.  It's by no means 'cosy' in that almost every other family member has a 'secret' of some sort, but the central pair are just lovely.  So far no overt sex/violence, just wonderful characterisation.

Here is a link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/proginfo/2012/47/tango-halifax-ep1.html

I read the Guardian review, and even though their man predictably thought it was 'predictable' (!), even he liked it enough to say he'll watch it next week.

I hope you get it on PBS.

Rosemary

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2012, 10:18:56 AM »
Our latest two-parter on PBS was "The Dust Bowl". I don't suppose that will be shown in GB as its American history but it is absolutely mind blowing for me.  I had so idea that those huge dust storms went on for ten years and changing so many lives from North Dakota to New Mexico.
The photography is marvelous thanks to the government giving jobs to all the artists of photography to show the people's lives throughout that unhappy episode in our county plus the Depression.  

We saw the final episode of Up/Down on Sunday evening.  I really enjoyed the whole series but not as much as I did the old series.  We don't care for "Call the Midwife" but have found other things on our cable channels that we like including history and science.   We are not into reality shows at all which are not reality as we know it.    
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2012, 06:13:21 PM »
Rosemary, I had to look up Anne Reid. I see she was the cook in the new Upstairs, Downstairs. I like her very much and I always admire Derek Jacobi. I hope that Last Tango in Halifax comes to the U.S.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #67 on: November 21, 2012, 08:06:41 PM »
Rosemary.  I know would love the "Last Tango" if it would show here. Be awhile though if it does.  Now is the Halifax and Skipton up in my area of Yorkshire/Lancs.  Never miss the Skipton Market when over there. Has the best Fish and Chip Cafe in the North.

Frybabe

« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2012, 06:37:04 PM »
It looks like my local PBS is showing Downton Abbey Revisited with Angela Landsbury hosting according to the local listing. Clips of Season 3 will also be included.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2012, 07:56:12 PM »
Here is PBS asking for donations again. Taken over all 3 of their Chanel's. Most probably last for a week.  Not been 60 days since they last did it.

I don't give anymore as they just keep repeating the shows. Some will show 6 times over a weekend. Some have been running for over 3 -5 years.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: November 24, 2012, 10:06:39 PM »
Frybabe, Downton Abbey Revisited will be showing on my PBS station this Sunday too.

http://www.pbs.org/downtonrevisited/home/

nlhome

« Reply #71 on: November 25, 2012, 08:17:23 AM »
Nothing on TV last night and I wasn't in the mood for reading, so I watched the final episode of Upstairs Downstairs on my computer. I agree, it wasn't as good as the original series, but I enjoyed it and got interested in the characters.

MaryPage

« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2012, 09:42:55 AM »
Thanks, Rosemary.  I will definitely look for that.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2012, 07:47:30 PM »
I think that "La Mis" will be on PBS at 7pm Sunday. I will most probably watch it again. Seen in 6 times in Theatre. same on TV and own the DVD of the London one.  Still one of my favourites.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: December 01, 2012, 10:41:10 PM »
Jeanne, my PBS station is showing the London cast of Les Mis at 7 tomorrow evening.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2012, 03:00:51 PM »
If Le Miz is the version they did some years ago, with the Israeli singer as Jean valjean, I have it on VHS, but my new TV doesn't play VHS. I'll definately watch it.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: December 02, 2012, 06:25:40 PM »
This is very weird. Earlier, when I checked my PBS station on TV guide, it said Le Mis but now it is showing Phantom of the Opera.
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/episodes/the-phantom-of-the-opera-at-the-royal-albert-hall/about-the-program/1258/

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #77 on: December 02, 2012, 07:40:11 PM »
Marcia.  I notice the change in prog. also.  Was beginning to think I was seeing things, and so glad you saw the change.  The are saying that will be showing again the same "Downton Abbey" that they had on last week.  Looks like all the stations can show what they want at the moment.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #78 on: December 03, 2012, 02:47:40 PM »
Did anyone besides me watch "The Tenors" last night.  Very good. I had not  heard of them before.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #79 on: December 03, 2012, 03:08:53 PM »
I turned on the TV hoping for Les Miz and got something called "Merry Christmas, Babe". You may be amazed to hear I didn't stick around to watch it.