Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece Classic 2012-2013  (Read 116488 times)

jeriron

Re: PBS Masterpiece Classic 2012-2013
« Reply #400 on: May 12, 2013, 11:07:16 AM »

Masterpiece Classic brings back favorite authors and programs and introduces new programs. See the 2013 MASTERPIECE CLASSIC schedule.

NOW DISCUSSING
What's playing on your PBS station? What programs do you continue to enjoy?

ALREADY DISCUSSED

Mr. Selfridge

March 31 - May 19, 2013 at 9pm

Upstart American Harry Selfridge moves heaven and earth to build his visionary department store in London. But opening day is just the start of his retail revolution.  Three-time Emmy® winner Jeremy Piven (in his first television appearance since his iconic role as Hollywood agent Ari Gold in Entourage) stars as Harry Gordon Selfridge, the flamboyant entrepreneur and showman seeking to provide London's shoppers with the ultimate merchandise and the ultimate thrill. Mr. Selfridge is created by Emmy® Award-winning writer Andrew Davies (Pride and Prejudice, Bleak House).

Song of Lunch

March 24,, 2013 at 9pm

One 120-minute episode
A dramatisation of Christopher Reid's narrative poem, telling the story of a book editor who, 15 years after their break-up, meets his former love for a nostalgic lunch at the Soho restaurant they used to frequent. The production is unusual in featuring little spoken dialogue, the action instead being an enactment of incidents described in poetic monologue of the male character. Starring Alan Rickman & Emma Thompson.

Page Eight

February 24,, 2013 at 9pm

One 120-minute episode
Sixty-something MI-5 agent Johnny Worricker has amassed an impressive art collection, an amicable collection of ex-wives, and a droll, unflappable relationship with the work he enjoys alongside his boss and best friend, MI5 chief Benedict Baron. But when Benedict brings to light damning evidence of British complicity with illegal American torture operations, it falls to Johnny to do the right thing.

Downton Abbey: Season 3, Episode 7
1 95-minute episode — Sunday, February 17, 2013

The Crawleys head to a Scottish hunting lodge, while the downstairs staff stays behind at Downton Abbey. New romances flare up, and a fresh crisis unfolds.

Downton Abbey: Season 3, Episode 6
1 120-minute episode — Sunday, February 10, 2013

Change arrives in a big way for several key characters at Downton Abbey. A yearly cricket match with the village sees old scores settled and new plots hatched.

Downton Abbey: Season 3, Episode 5
1 60-minute episode — Sunday, February 3, 2013

Things go badly amiss at Downton Abbey. Robert and Cora are not speaking. The servants are shunning Matthew's mother Isobel. And Matthew and Robert have fallen out. Also, Bates takes a gamble.

Downton Abbey: Season 3, Episode 4
1 60-minute episode — Sunday, January 27, 2013

The Crawley family faces its severest test yet. Meanwhile, new faces try to fit into the tight-knit circle of servants. And new evidence turns up in a baffling case.

Downton Abbey: Season 3, Episode 3
1 60-minute episode — Sunday, January 20, 2013

Two social revolutions arrive at Downton Abbey: the Irish civil war and the fight for women's suffrage. A mysterious conspiracy keeps Anna and Bates apart.

Downton Abbey: Season 3, Episode 2
1 60-minute episode — Sunday, January 13, 2013

The fate of Downton Abbey hinges on a letter from a dead man. Edith and Sir Anthony face their own fateful moment. Mrs. Hughes confronts a crisis.

Downton Abbey: Season 3, Episode 1
1 120-minute episode — Sunday, January 6, 2013

Wedding guests descend on Downton Abbey, where disasters large and small threaten. One is Cora's freewheeling American mother, who tries to loosen up her in-laws.

Downton Abbey Revisited
1 90-minute episode — Sunday, November 25, 2012

Savor highlights from the first two seasons and get a preview of Season 3 in this new PBS special.

Upstairs Downstairs: Season 2, Episode 6
1 90-minute episode — Sunday, November 11, 2012

A chance remark at the Foreign Office alerts Hallam that one of his associates is a German spy—with tragic consequences. As war is declared, life upstairs and downstairs is transformed at Eaton Place.

Upstairs Downstairs: Season 2, Episode 5
1 90-minute episode — Sunday, November 4, 2012

With war looming, romance is in the air—illicit and otherwise. Hallam, Agnes, Landry, and Persie each pursue their heart’s desire in different ways. Harry and Beryl get engaged. And even Pritchard finds a soulmate.

Upstairs Downstairs: Season 2, Episode 4
1 90-minute episode — Sunday, October 28, 2012

All of London sees Agnes’s shapely legs when she models stockings for Landry’s company—offending Hallam. Intent on impressing Beryl, Harry enters the servants’ boxing competition as Johnny’s manager.

Upstairs Downstairs: Season 2, Episode 3
1 90-minute episode — Sunday, October 21, 2012

Hallam’s Aunt Blanche appears in a novel by a former lover, sparking a scandal that threatens the good name of Eaton Place. Meanwhile, Agnes’s demands on the servants bring a social worker to set her straight.

Upstairs Downstairs: Season 2, Episode 2
1 90-minute episode — Sunday, October 14, 2012

Ambassador Kennedy and his dashing son Jack come to dinner at Eaton Place. But Agnes is more entranced by another guest: millionaire Caspar Landry. Before the evening is over, Mrs. Thackeray resigns.

Upstairs Downstairs: Season 2, Episode 1
1 90-minute episode — Sunday, October 7, 2012

Pritchard takes the rap for Johnny in a shocking incident, which leads to a revelation that casts the butler into disgrace. On a diplomatic mission to Germany, Hallam meets Persie, who has a Nazi lover.

Upstairs Downstairs: Season 1 - rebroadcast
3 60-minute episodes — Sunday, Sept. 30, 2012

It's 1936, a tumultuous time in Britain, and within the walls of 165 Eaton Place, characters from an orphanage, a damp Welsh castle, the heart of the British Raj and elsewhere together will face a changing world, not just upstairs and downstairs, but side by side. Written by Heidi Thomas (Cranford, Madame Bovary), Upstairs Downstairs stars co-creators of the original series Jean Marsh and Eileen Atkins (Cranford, Bertie and Elizabeth). Also starring are Ed Stoppard (Any Human Heart), Keeley Hawes (Wives and Daughters), and Claire Foy (Little Dorrit). Available online at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch-online/

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP and marcie

The new Inspector Lewis and last one  is being released the end of June. So I would think that PBS would show them before then but I haven't seen anything mentioned about it.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #401 on: May 12, 2013, 02:57:17 PM »
One of our stations runs "As Time Goes By" over and over, starting at the beginning when they reach the end. I've seen most of the episodes 4 or 5 times, and am just beginning to get tired of them.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #402 on: May 12, 2013, 03:04:32 PM »
the ones I have seen over and over and yet over and over and could still enjoy seeing them again over and over is Are You Being Served - I loved the humor in that show.  I finally got tired of Keeping Up Appearances but another I would love to see again is To the Manor Born
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #403 on: May 13, 2013, 01:01:01 AM »
That's great that some of you are/will be seeing As Time Goes By. The writing and acting for that series was wonderful.

jeriron

« Reply #404 on: May 13, 2013, 10:01:33 AM »
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/schedule/

Here's the Masterpiece Schedule for June through Aug.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #405 on: May 13, 2013, 11:59:34 AM »
"As time goes by"  They have been running it on ours for past 12 years. Started from season one at least 5 times.  I may be from England and enjoyed it years ago but it has gotten stale by now.  Couple of the others the same.  There are some good old ones that they could spend a little money and buy.  It is now the same with there cooking shows. Same ones Over and Over.  On Sat. and Sunday they will play them twice over. LOts of the people in them have been dead for years.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #406 on: May 13, 2013, 12:11:32 PM »
All look pretty good for June and July.  Not August but will turn on again for Foyle in September. I like him.
Looks like a few repeats in all of them.  Summer season I suppose.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #407 on: May 13, 2013, 12:22:16 PM »
I really enjoyed the "Midwives" last night.  I do think that the Dr. and the Nun are going to get together.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #408 on: May 13, 2013, 12:26:42 PM »
I have had 2 friends 40 years ago he was a Priest and she a Nun. both for about 10 years. They left and married and than another friend. He had been a Priest for quite a few years. Met and married.  Remained strong Catholic though and they had 11 children.  Youngest was a down syndrome girl. Still alive and has been living in a home here in town since a baby.  Must be around 50 now.  both parents passed.

mabel1015j

« Reply #409 on: May 13, 2013, 12:36:57 PM »
There is a new sitcom "Cafe" which looks like it has potential, altho, i'm not sure about it yet. Both the old folks and the young folks in it have more silly moments than i like.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #410 on: May 13, 2013, 07:16:26 PM »
Not heard of "Cafe". Is it a BritCom?

MaryPage

« Reply #411 on: May 14, 2013, 07:40:07 PM »
As Time Goes By was my husband's favorite.  He always said that Jean and Lionel were similar to himself and me.  I used to laugh and say, no, we are Lionel's father and step mother!  What are their names?  Rocky and something I forget.
We own all of the videos and DVDs.  The first year, maybe two, are videos and the rest DVDs.  You can, of course, buy all in DVD now, but we bought each season as soon as it was available.  Oh, how we loved them all.  I saw about half a show on the telly a few months back, just for remembrance.
Lovely television.  Just the right mixture of love and comedy and real life.  I like the good manners and lack of sex and violence and bad language.  Come to think on it, though we were older than Jean and Lionel, we were a lot like them.  Maybe my Mister Wonderful was right!

Frybabe

« Reply #412 on: May 15, 2013, 06:40:11 AM »
I think her name was Madge, MaryPage, but I wouldn't swear to it. As Time Goes By is out and Keeping Up Appearances is in on my PBS station at the moment. KUA is good, but I get tired of it in a hurry. I like ATGB better. I also liked Last of the Summer Wine and Are You Being Served. I haven't heard of Cafe.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #413 on: May 15, 2013, 12:27:35 PM »
I haven't heard of 'Cafe' here in the UK.  Many of the other old series are replayed on UK GOLD, a channel that you have to have Sky for - so needless to say we haven't got it, as not only does it cost more money, but also husband won't let anything to do with Rupert Murdoch darken our door (and I tend to agree with him, though I would like to be able to watch old series like The Vicar of Dibley.)

The series of Endeavour has finished (only 4 episodes) - it was excellent.  I started watching a re-play of Val McDermid's Wire in the Blood last night, but I just wasn't up to the level of violence - plus I had read the book so that rather spoiled the denouement.

Rosemary

mabel1015j

« Reply #414 on: May 15, 2013, 12:47:41 PM »
Yes, Cafe is British and on our station it is followed by Chef which i like also.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #415 on: May 15, 2013, 03:39:49 PM »
Speaking of The Vicar of Dilbey, am I the only one who thinks that Louisa on Doc Martin is the same actress who played the ditsy blonde on the Vicar of Dilbey. I told some of my friends that, but no one knew who I was talking about. I can't remember her name, but she was the one who never got the Vicar's jokes.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #416 on: May 15, 2013, 04:24:54 PM »
Now I still watch .  Last of the summer wines.  It is filmed not many miles from where I am from and family still live.  It goes back a few years also but I just miss the moors and get to see them on the show.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #417 on: May 15, 2013, 04:26:57 PM »
Alice Tinker who later became Alice Horton in the most fun outrageous wedding dress ever seen on TV with attendants that could only come form a mind as presented to us by an Alice Tinker - real name Emma Chambers - and she is not currently acting in anything nor does it say she acted in Doc Martin.

You are thinking of Caroline Catz who played in DCI Banks along with many other films and TV that we do not get here.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

salan

« Reply #418 on: May 15, 2013, 05:09:55 PM »
Joan K.  They are not the same person, although they play/played the same type of character.  I'm not sure what year Vicar first appeared; but I think the character that played Alice would be quite a bit older.

I got Cafe for about a month or so, but no more.
Sally

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #419 on: May 15, 2013, 05:22:35 PM »
Is Cafe the one about a mother who runs a small restaurant on the pier of a beach town with an older daughter and a young man who would like to be her boyfriend but is not sophisticated enough for her and a mother (grandmother) sits at a table by one of the doors to the restaurant - the mother has a boyfriend and the restaurant or tea room or whatever it is, is not doing well but lots of folks are behind her.

salan

« Reply #420 on: May 16, 2013, 04:46:18 AM »
Yes, Barb, that's the one.  I couldn't decide whether I liked it & then it was off the air.....

Sally  :'(

mabel1015j

« Reply #421 on: May 16, 2013, 11:48:38 AM »
That sounds right Barb, i didn't pay close attention  ;)

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #422 on: May 16, 2013, 03:52:13 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up. I'm disappointed.

MaryPage

« Reply #423 on: May 17, 2013, 10:30:20 AM »
I dearly loved both characters you were talking about, but the Alice actress is always in high comedy, whereas the Louisa actress is in drama.  Yes, I have just discovered she is appearing in D.C.I. BANKS, a wonderful show based on the detective policeman in a series of books by Peter Robinson.  There have been 22 of these books so far, from Gallows View to Watching The Dark, and they are great fun if you love British mysteries.  I do!  I confess, I have not had the time to read them all yet, but when I like someone I make it a point to keep lists in a file, both a paper file and one on my computer, and check at least once a year to make sure my home shelves contain the latest.  So it is that I have all the books by anyone I have really liked, and I now have more books than I can possibly devour in the time remaining to me.  Oh well;  I leave my grandchildren a great legacy!  And as for me, I have had a lot of fun and the comfort and consolation of not running out of something good to read!

MaryPage

« Reply #424 on: May 20, 2013, 11:14:17 AM »
I had a real pig-out with the telly last night.  Call The Midwife was superb.  Mr. Department store was the last one for this season and was almost 2 hours and was Great.  I feel bad for those of us who gave up on this show early on.  Also, I was disappointed in some true facts last night.  I went to my search engine hoping to find out if they remained separated, only to read about the life he REALLY led.  Turns out this show is about 80% fiction.  Too, too sad.  He never had a son, for one thing.  And did not have that house full of kids.  Just one child, a daughter.  And only the one wife.  I won't go on any further, as I do not want to spoil things for you.
Then Dalzeil and Pascoe was wonderful.  Oh, what a delicious Sunday night I had!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #425 on: May 20, 2013, 04:36:38 PM »
I gave up on him and watched part of "North America" on Discovery.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #426 on: May 20, 2013, 09:12:09 PM »
I too watched the season finale of Mr. Selfridge. Lots happening. I'm looking forward to next season/year.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #427 on: May 22, 2013, 03:36:42 PM »
You mean there's more?

marcie

• Administrator

MaryPage

« Reply #429 on: May 23, 2013, 08:53:51 PM »
After a rocky start, it did turn into a great show with marvelous characters and excellent acting.  I love the lessons in empathy and human relationships Selfridge (as depicted in this almost toally fictional account) is learning, episode by episode.
I am having a hard time, though, to see how the writers can, in all human decency, make up all this stuff "based on the life of."  Now we all know I am not a famous person, but were I someone in the public eye, it just tears me in bits to think my very own life and reputation AFTER MY DEATH could be used in this manner.  The vast majority of people watching this series will believe it to be the gospel truth, and real history.  I think that is a grave injustice, not only to Mr. Selfridge, the real man, but to ANYone it might happen to.  I think writers, when writing of real life people, ought to have to follow a law that says they cannot fictionialize real people to the extent they do here.  I understand they have to fictionalize supposed conversations in order to make the story move along in the direction history says it really did go.  But they ought not be able to change a life in any material way.  For instance, Selfridge only had one child.  Ever.  One daughter.  No son.  No houseful of children.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #430 on: May 26, 2013, 07:14:57 PM »
No Midwife on tonight.  Fact nothing on tv at all.  I don't even have any DVD to watch.  Will just read and hope the rain stops by tomorrow.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #431 on: May 27, 2013, 01:08:24 AM »
The new Masterpiece Mystery season doesn't start until mid June.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #432 on: June 01, 2013, 02:12:24 AM »
We have a new discussion for the Masterpiece Mystery season at http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=3821.0