Author Topic: Women's Issues  (Read 363194 times)

Steph

Re: Women's Issues
« Reply #160 on: January 27, 2013, 06:42:05 AM »
Women's Issues
If Art imitates Life, what does Literature show about the place of women in our society? From the Red Tent to the new movie Anna Karenina,  to Malala Yousafzai in the news, has the state of women changed? What IS the state of women today, in your opinion?

Let's talk about how women are portrayed in the press, and in literature, and how accurate it is.   How does advertising reflect, if it does, how women are portrayed?  (Remember heels and pearls to sell refrigerators?)

How does it seem to you that women are portrayed today?

Let's talk
!

National Women's History Project
I am sorry. I think that uncontrollable urges are nonsense.. It is just the old"I can do anything I want to to females". Men do not grow up in so many cases.. But sometimes women do not help..The women physically abused who stay in the relationship drive me nuts.. Why oh why...
Stephanie and assorted corgi

MaryPage

« Reply #161 on: January 27, 2013, 08:27:46 AM »
Steph, I could not agree with you more.  Forinstance, my last husband, the Love of My Life, agreed with me in every bit of this type of conversation.  Men DO have urges, but they can also learn self control.  And should.  We should have a civilized society that thinks and works things out before it sends its young to war and before it attacks its own women.
And women most certainly have been complicit.  What IS it that makes them so maleable?  Centuries of being so in order to keep their lives?  To keep their children?  Our laws were set up like forever that a woman could leave, but the children belonged to the man and had to be left with him.
Too many women seem afraid they will not keep their man unless they let him call all the shots.  Sometimes one wonders if this cave man mentality has not been long nurtured by us!  We!  The women!
Just thinking out loud here;  not coming down in judgment.

mabel1015j

« Reply #162 on: January 27, 2013, 10:53:13 AM »
I'm careful about blaming women too much. Some women are too timid about asserting themselves - perhaps they never heard the word "assertive." But in many cases, even in today's world, the system has been built against us. I, luckily, choose a good mate - and much of that situation is luck, people are not always what they appear to be when we are in dating mode. Just my own example in one area - retirement. Except for the first five years of our dgt's life, i have worked during my married yrs. However, even tho i am getting two "pensions" and social security, all them together add up to about $15000/yr! Less than 1/3 of what the two of us have in annual income.

That is a minor, but important, issue of how women, especially women our age, have had the system stacked against us. Those women who have more controlling husbands then i have had, have many more circumstances stacked against them. Also, our culture glorifies weddings and marriages, so many women go dreamy eyed into marital status and then find it very hard to leave that marital status, especially if they have children, but just going against the social "norm" to single status can be difficult. Our society does very little to support single mothers.  You know, that "47% of takers."

Of course, being physically abused is a whole other thing. But i'll bet there are more women being psychologically abused than those being physically abused and much harder to "see", or prove, and there are no "shelters" for the psychologically abused.

Fortunately, our generation learned to support each other in sisterhood and has gotten many things changed, giving us more equity. And as there are more and more single women and single mothers they are also supporting each other and don't feel as much like parias.  IF we had an ERA, thousands of more issues of equity could change immediately w/ that amendment w/out every law having to be changed one by one.

Jean

MaryPage

« Reply #163 on: January 27, 2013, 11:29:35 AM »
HURRAH AND AMEN!

mabel1015j

« Reply #164 on: January 27, 2013, 07:51:09 PM »
More info of the system not being equal, from the Atlantic, re: women professors.

http://www.theatlantic.com/sexes/archive/2013/01/being-married-helps-professors-get-ahead-but-only-if-theyre-male/267289/

Jean

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #165 on: January 28, 2013, 02:39:54 AM »
It is not always because a women is timid that she stays or because she is too dependent on the income that allows their children to continue the schools or what ever - it is also because the worst abuse does not, all of a sudden like a flash of lightening, happen - it is slowly built as one degradation is not enough for the abuser till the victim is no longer shocked and then the abuse becomes rampant - In order to leave the woman has to own she made a mistake and that involves her whole sense of herself. Some can see a future for themselves and their children and they have a support system that is very patient. Many do not.

Another big factor is her own upbringing - had she a healthy upbringing she would not have fallen for the guy in the fist place - she would never have seen or knew what a healthy marriage looked like - she probably thought she was going to fix things to have a different marriage than her parents - then she was sure, with one excuse after another for his behavior, he was really in love with her - she needed him to love her - to say he did not know how to love and could not love her leaves her abandoned with no one loving her - plus if she may still believes her parents loved her and they were abusive therefore, she has no reference till the abuse becomes too damaging.

And then we have another scenario where she is bound and determined she is going to have a better life and family than her childhood so she will fix him - his controlling never does have rhyme or reason, mostly it is alcohol or drugs that he turns to in order to get to sleep - get through a difficulty and from there he is a functioning drunk and when or if he no longer drinks he is a dry drunk - it is the behavior of a drunk or drug addict not the drinking or drugging that needs change and that takes many many years. In the meantime he is not stopping his drinking or drugging - along with his addiction is rage at her followed each time by his saying he loves her and does nice things for her and the kids - with that crumb she is sure she can fix him all the while she is sinking into a swamp of hell still thinking she can rescue him. That is her reason for living, to prove she can do better than her parents, because if she cannot she is just like them. Accepting that she knows she will be a nothing.

Being that low is more than depression - even drugs administered for depression do not help - being told by others she is valued and worthwhile does not sink in - she sees only she failed in life and failed her children - if it gets bad enough she abandons the children and some make news by killing the children. she is not a separate person - she is her failure and her children are failed because she is them and should not have been born into such failure.

Work in a battered women's center for awhile and you will here tons of stories that pretty much all fall into these scenarios.

I wish there was an answer to why men tend to use force in order to control - women control and can yell ans scream or make drama to initiate guilt and we do use force on children but we do not beat and break bones and shoot guns and go on a rampage of mass murder - the best I have come up with in the hundreds of books is of all books, a novel by Elsa Morante, History: A Novel - where she describes marauding German soldiers in Italy with no officers or even sergeant's with them and yet, they commit atrocities on villages that later, they excused as, they had to because of their superiors - Morante's  comment in the book is they did it because they could - that being in power is having power that quickly can be used to your advantage. And so, I have been on the search to understand power and coercion. 
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Steph

« Reply #166 on: January 28, 2013, 06:15:46 AM »
Power.. The more power, the more bad things happen.. I do have a friend who was psychologically abused for many years and seemed to be content.. She always said,,, he tells me I am pretty and how much he loves me every day.. Ugh.. Now she is a widow and is starting to realize how much of life she missed.. Interesting to watch.. I just remember being a teen in the mid 50's.. At that point the amount of male coercion was still high.. My Dad was a wonderful man who considered me the equal of anyone and treated my Mom and I with such grace and gentleness.. So I was amazed when a high school boy friend tried shoving me around and pushing me about physical things. I quickly broke off the relationship and endured hearing what a cold cold human I was and how horrible I was from most of my friends. I never forgot it and never under any circumstances allowed myself to endure any sort of things like that. I had a long and loving marriage to a man who valued women..

MaryPage

« Reply #167 on: January 28, 2013, 08:44:07 AM »
Value is a very important word in any discussion about the history of the relationship between the sexes.

My first two husbands were nice people, but the third was perfect.  He absolutely put value on and in women, considered me a total equal in every way, and enjoyed the DIFFERENCES between the sexes.  Each of us desired the others happiness above all things, and each of us tolerated our different choices.  He watched his sports on TV for hours, while I did my puttering about the house and read murder mysteries or watched chick flicks.  When we went out with friends or had them here, our conversations were wonderful and he always took the women in the group, including me, completely seriously.  In short, he VALUED us, and showed it without fail.  I never had a single unhappy moment with him, excepting of course those concerning his failing health.

We had a group of friends we met with for lunch and political discourse once a month.  Boy, I miss that group.  Talented and highly educated, they were all retired from great careers and enriched my thinking no end.  There were 3 couples, and my husband and another man are dead, while we two widows can only keep in touch by email now, since she is about 35 miles away.  The other couple is suffering serious health problems.  And so it goes.  Everything changes.  Nothing stays the same.  But hey, for a while there life was perfection!

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #168 on: January 28, 2013, 09:47:49 PM »
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #169 on: January 28, 2013, 11:37:18 PM »
Good one, Barb!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Steph

« Reply #170 on: January 29, 2013, 06:40:35 AM »
self control.. for heavens sakes... learn how to live with the other half of humanity.. The muslims miss so much in life with their attitudes.. Sad and stupid.. Reading about India is amazing.. Part of it of course is the huge disparity in living there, but still the disrespect for women is incredible. Not a county I would care to visit. I was not a happy camper in Egypt either.

MaryPage

« Reply #171 on: January 29, 2013, 08:21:12 AM »
I watched a DVD I just received of the movie GAME CHANGE, and it has really, really gotten me to thinking.  Not about the subject matter here, but it touches on it in a very general way.  My thinking deeply about what makes Sarah Palin who she is, or Michelle Bachman, or that congresswoman from South Carolina who is so very dimwitted, or those ignorant loudmouthed men sounding off about rape and abortion and so on, you just have to finally figure it is a combination of culture and EDUCATION.  

For instance, I think Sarah Palin has a really fine brain, all set up to make of her a truly intelligent woman.  But she was never culturally, within her family group, her peer group, her community group, taught to have an intense curiosity about EVERYthing.  She found out early on in her life what things she needed to know to get by within the confines of her world, and that was where she, and billions of others, most less well endowed with brain cells than she, stopped.  Quit.  She never reached any further.  This movie shows that so clearly and so bleakly.

Yes, it IS largely a matter of culture.  Folk who come from people who value education learn to value it themselves from early in their lives.  Those who are not surrounded with this attitude tend to dismiss those who have it and to consider it, GET THIS!, a really dumb way of thinking and doing.

Think about it.  If you are filthy rich and you have never lifted a finger to even the least kind of household chore, and you suddenly found your family dead and gone, as well as the fortune, HOW would you manage to take care of yourself?  Let's say you have a degree from one of the Seven Sisters.  You are set up to get a fine job.  But how do you learn how to boil water?  Cook?  Clean?  What to clean WITH and what to clean?  How to shop for groceries?

So you are dirt poor.  You have never learned manners, your family lives on fast food and goes at that like hogs after slop.  No one EVER has a conversation about world affairs.  No one has ever turned on a news program.  You could have been born smart as hell, but gone all the way through school with teachers who are close to your own culture and have given up any idea of improving on it.  You get through the whole educational process with the barest minimum of skills.

CallieOK

« Reply #172 on: January 29, 2013, 11:22:36 AM »
Applause, Applause, MaryPage!  Well said - and so very true!

Steph

« Reply #173 on: January 30, 2013, 06:32:10 AM »
Very good point. That is why I have argued with some conservative friends who are all for Social Security being made to let people invest in what they want. The great majority of people are only in the now part of their lives and they would fall for anyone giving them a good story...wont matter if it were true..I also feel and have witnessed that there are some people who are simply not quite smart enough to cope with life. Like it or not, we need to help them..

MaryPage

« Reply #174 on: January 30, 2013, 09:03:25 AM »
"Private hands" and "Private business" will always have a percentage of privateers in the mix, and some innocent folk will be ripped off.  To countenance this arrangement is akin to saying x% of the population will be thrown outside the fortress walls for the wolves to devour.

What do you think the people who lost their fortunes to Bernie Madoff would think of this arrangement?

It just plain makes me shudder.  Those who believe in this have really been indoctrinated into the certainty that government is an enemy.  Actually, that is so untrue.  Government is US.  Us.  You and me and our neighbors making committees to take care of matters which affect us all as a group.  Arranging that those who know the most about this will get together and appoint some people to take care of this and those who know the most about that will do the same, and then both this and that and the other will be taken care of for all of us.

Over and over and over when a government agency has been told by the congress to privatize part of its functions by contracting them out to non-government business, there has been runaway corruption and it has wound up that taxpayers have been ripped off and people have been hurt.  It is just flat out NOT a good idea!

Steph

« Reply #175 on: January 31, 2013, 06:26:49 AM »
I do wish that I felt that congress was representative of the people, but I simply don't any more.. I watched yesterday and the committee just sluffed off Gabrielle Gifford.. I have no arguments with guns, but I  try pistols, rifles and shotguns are enough. No multiple shot anything like a machine gun and no guns with the type of ammunitions that shoot over and over.. No need. A well regulated militia at the point of the constitution was in part because they used guns every day for hunting, etc.

MaryPage

« Reply #176 on: January 31, 2013, 08:24:13 AM »
I have gone over and over and over the amendment, the whole constitution, and the history, and I am one of those who thinks it meant every state had a right to its own militia;  i.e., National Guard unit or units.  But, while a huge portion of our population agree with me, it is not the prevailing view, and that I must accept.
If this nation finds itself in all out war again, everyone will soldier up and receive automatic weaponry.  In the meanwhile, we need to attack the problem of the crazies who want to mow down as many innocents as possible.  We need to protect our peacetime citizenry.
Guns kill.  Guns kill faster than fists, knives, other weapons.
Imagine those little First Graders all in a row and holding hands as that young man sprayed back and forth with that automatic rifle with enough bullets for it to kill the whole school.  Thank God he heard the sirens of the police approaching.
If our congress could see a film of those little boys and girls holding hands as they died, perhaps they would give the NRA the finger and vote for LIFE! 

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #177 on: January 31, 2013, 12:22:20 PM »
Marypage where did you hear he mowed them down - the reports I read say they were shot one by one.

MaryPage

« Reply #178 on: January 31, 2013, 01:48:48 PM »
I heard he moved right along the line with the automatic firing like crazy and some of the little ones had more than one bullet in them.  I call that mowing them down.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/dec/16/nation/la-na-connecticut-shooting-20121216

In this one, the coroner said ALL of the children had been hit from three to eleven times with bullets.  I still call that mowing them down.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/connecticut-school-shooting-medical-examiner-faced-grim-task/story?id=17982784

MaryPage

« Reply #179 on: January 31, 2013, 02:12:56 PM »
From the Chicago Sun-Times:

"We are dismayed by this. We would have expected that the horror of 20 first-graders being mowed down might have stirred a far greater demand for stricter gun control. The fact that it did not is perhaps proof of the effectiveness of propaganda by the NRA, which last year spent 10 times more money on lobbying than every gun control group combined, according to the New York Times."

MaryPage

« Reply #180 on: January 31, 2013, 02:22:13 PM »
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/hunt-motive-sandy-hook-elementary-shooting-article-1.1220914

In the above site you will find these words:

"The Connecticut mass murderer used an assault rifle to slaughter his 26 victims at a school, spraying dozens of bullets into a helpless group of first-graders and staff, officials said Saturday.
The grisly details of killer Adam Lanza’s gory rampage emerged one day after the shooter unleashed the second-deadliest school killing in U.S. history. The tiny victims were riddled with as many as 11 bullets. All were shot multiple times."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/hunt-motive-sandy-hook-elementary-shooting-article-1.1220914#ixzz2JaBNvU9R

salan

« Reply #181 on: January 31, 2013, 06:15:56 PM »
I have mixed feelings about gun control.  I don't think any laws would stop criminals and "crazies" from getting their hands on guns--just make it harder for law-abiding citizens to get them.  My ddh was in law enforcement and had an assortment of guns locked in cabinets.  When he died, I got rid of them as I never liked them and didn't want them in the house,  but there are too many out there that can easily be obtained illegally.  I really don't think any law will stop that.
Sally

MaryPage

« Reply #182 on: January 31, 2013, 08:36:02 PM »
Nevertheless, if that demented young man had done everything in just the same way, and all those around him had reacted in just the same way, EXCEPT he had had no assault weapon, but instead just a regular rifle, by the time the police had answered the 911 call and the sirens were wailing down the roads leading to the elementary school and he shot himself rather than be arrested, there would not have been so many dead children.  Without the assault weapon firing away in speedy staccato, he would have had to shoot off one bullet at a time and often reload.  He could not have killed so many, given the same exact scenario but no assault weapon.
Assault weapons belong to the military and the police.  One of the people testifying before the Congress yesterday was a big city chief of police.  He wants those assault weapons banned to the public.  Only in this country are manufacturers allowed to make this type of weapon and sell it to the general public.  Everywhere else, it is banned.
Civilians have no reason to kill a crowd of people.
By the way, I mean no disrespect.  I believe in listening to everyone's opinion.

jeriron

« Reply #183 on: January 31, 2013, 10:41:06 PM »
There was a shooting here in a Atlanta middle school today. One student shot another student in the back of the head,luckily it only grazed him.

A 9th grade boy committed suicide over the weekend. His fathers car was in the garage and he got the gun from the glove compartment. He was in my sons class. No one knows why. But more then likely if there wasn't easy access to the gun it may not have happened. I'm sure his father will never forgive himself.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #184 on: February 01, 2013, 12:25:29 AM »
As long as we have assault weapons in the hands of the police and other national law enforcement we will have criminals feeling the need to match power with power so I do not see we will ever get rid of them - if we had an attitude about criminal misbehavior like in Britain, where the police only recently started to carry any arms and they only have assault weapons in the hands of their swat teams,  but that is not our history.

My daughter would like to see just stopping the manufacturing of assault weapons - nice idea however, what do soldier do being less armed than other nations - I just think we are in a new world and have to come up with other answers -

I also think that there is something in the psyche of men that has not been explored because long before there were assault weapons there had been schoolchildren murdered - like the guy who set dynamite in a school in Minnesota or Michigan - someplace like that and killed 52 children.  Even Whitman killed 13 from the UT tower after killing his parents and did not use an assault weapon.

I think we have to decide what we want to fix - just the idea we do not like assault weapons or the problem of guys going berserk and mass killing - they've been doing it for a long time.  

Steph

« Reply #185 on: February 01, 2013, 06:22:54 AM »
Mass murders... there must be something terribly wrong inside their brains.. I can only think of one woman who tried to kill a lot of children and that was some years ago in I think Chicago..not successful.. Women kill, but for them it seems to be their own children, which I find horrifying.. Also the cases where a woman kills her children to keep them from her husband. That is a very twisted human..

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #186 on: February 01, 2013, 09:38:07 AM »
Steph...I agree...and I think there must be a special circle of hell for the women who put their "boyfriends" above their children.  We've had some horrific tales of sexual child abuse (long term) and then murder of little girls whose mothers thought the "live-in" scum were more important than their little ones.  The three men are finally in jail...but the mothers have gotten off scot-free, as far as official punishment.  Yes, I hope they're living their own hell, but they didn't care before...so not sure how those twisted minds work who think a man is so (*&^ important in their lives.

Grrrrr!!

jane

jeriron

« Reply #187 on: February 01, 2013, 09:57:00 AM »
As long as we have assault weapons in the hands of the police and other national law enforcement we will have criminals feeling the need to match power with power so I do not see we will ever get rid of them.

Are we supposed to blame law enforcement for the gun problem we have in this country? Maybe and I say maybe if we had kept the assault weapon ban instead of letting it expire there would be less on the streets but congress let it expire. We have so much out there that we will never be able to change that now. But to sit back and say this won't work or that won't work is the wrong thing to do.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #188 on: February 01, 2013, 01:15:26 PM »
Interesting that you see blame - I see a lopsided system that allows some to have the power and others to become dependent upon them - that reminds me too much of nations with coups where the army or police are part of the government to control people - I also see law enforcement can't even use constraint with pepper spray or tazers and FBI who shoot kids or folks in the mountains because they are trigger happy with no clear understanding for example that kids get up before the sun to feed cattle on their land before they go to school... which means they would be perfectly happy shooting to death someone who did cross the border and that is who we want to be capable of carrying assault weapons and only them - this is not in keeping with a nation carved out of a wilderness and where there is freedom with room for an independent life.

Why are we not this upset about removing cars from the road - we have far more children dead each year and far more teens killing with a vehicle than all the gun deaths in this country. We condemn places where kids learn to shoot but not places where kids learn to drive. Are we talking about stopping the killing or only a certain kind of killing - removing a means of killing needs to be across the board or else there will always be a group with more power and with power among some becomes as in WWII when German soldiers without an officer demanding certain behavior or even a Sargent these soldiers carrying their guns, feeling their power assaulted anyone in their way. We know this is a problem in prisons now, where guards use their powerful status and treat prisoners less then human. And this is what is suggested for this nation - turn the nation into a gulag.

I too wish assault weapons did not exist just as I wish nuclear bombs did not exist - but they do - there is a great book about taking care of yourself that to push that would make more sense - Facing Violence: Preparing for the Unexpected by Rory Miller a retired police officer. That we can do something about right now - and no I am not willing to give up any more of my freedom to fear - fear changed flying forever, and thank god for the downturn in the economy forcing folks to look with compassion at each other rather than the kind of isolating judging of everyone that was encouraged after 9/11

This nation was founded using guns - this state when it was a nation was created using guns - I agree there were no assault weapons as we know them - there are many inventions that make us un-comfortable and there are duel uses for what was not imagined when they were developed, from assault weapons to drugs, that help some and were used by others as recreation, from alcohol that was safer to drink than water that became for some an addiction with all the implications, from bombs and guns to assure victory on the battle field to folks using them to kill what and who ever is in their way that is not abiding with what they want - as to the mass murders there is still no effort discussed or found where the mind of these folks are to commit these horrendous acts.

As of now we do not even know if getting assault weapons off the street would be enough to stop mass murders - but then again, what are we trying to solve - are we saying we are content with mass murders continuing as long as guns that we do not like are no longer sold knowing that there will be these guns in the hands of a few and those who want them will simply get them from another nation and sell them secretly. I know I would like to have a better understanding of what sets someone off to indiscriminately kill many - what change will really make that difference.

Here is the link to Rory Miller's book sold on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1594392137/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Steph

« Reply #189 on: February 02, 2013, 06:54:29 AM »
Mental health is a hard hard subject.. What sets one person off and not another.. Why is it almost entirely young white males..or older white males who were in the army... Is there a way to head them off before it starts.. Mass murder is a very complicated set of rules.. It would be great if everyone had a little mark on their heads that made you able to look and know if they were sane or not, but that is certainly not going to happen.. Its like I would love a shot to be given to all 10 yo girls that keeps them from pregnancy until they are 21, but that's not going to happen either.
I don't dislike guns, although I wont have them in my house. I dislike however the attitude that guns make me powerful and I carry them to make sure no one disrespects me ( hate that word, but oh my the current teens love it)
Guns made this nation, but reason and intellect put together the constitution and compromise was how they did it.

MaryPage

« Reply #190 on: February 02, 2013, 11:20:27 AM »
The VA reports that TWENTY-TWO (22) of our veterans of these dreadful wars we are sending our children out to fight are committing suicide every day.  Every day.  Twenty-two of them.
154 every week.
660 every month.
8,008 every year.
That is unacceptable.  We have to stop condoning it.  We have to stop sweeping it under the rug.
We have a volunteer army.  It is filled with young men and women who have not been able to find paid work elsewhere.  They are not noticed by most of us.  Their trials and travails go without the vast majority of the public giving them one single thought.
If we went back to the draft, every household would be thinking about it constantly.  "Will my son or daughter be called up?"  Every voting citizen would suddenly care rather desperately whether we gather up our tools of war and send our young off to invade far off countries.
But these who come back having seen women and children killed, and their best mates blown to pieces;  they are never the same again.  Nor would you be.  Nor would I.
So they are choosing to die.  Twenty-two of them yesterday.  Twenty-two of them today.  Twenty-two of them tomorrow.

Steph

« Reply #191 on: February 03, 2013, 06:30:16 AM »
I am not sure about the volunteer army aspect. Both of my sons spent time in the active army.. Both had good jobs, college educated, but felt the need to give back to this great nation. I wasn't happy abut their decisions, but I respected them.

MaryPage

« Reply #192 on: February 03, 2013, 08:54:02 AM »
Granted, there are some of those, Steph.  Kudos to your sons.  And the young West Pointers who lead them.  But bottom line, it is a volunteer army and the ranks are not what a universal draft would bring.  Good, bad, or indifferent, their minds and their lives are being demolished with no happily ever after possible.  What price excursions to fix things up in other cultures around the world?

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #193 on: February 04, 2013, 02:05:18 AM »
Her dad was leaving on a 2 year deployment. She was crying, and wouldn’t let go of her dad’s hand, even when he stood in line.

No one had the heart to break them apart.

Steph

« Reply #194 on: February 04, 2013, 06:22:59 AM »
and her Dad should not be leaving her for sure.. Deployment... another word for fighting for things that the countries do not want.. Democracy is not an option in most of the middle east.They love strong men.. Egypt really wants the army to be in charge..

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #195 on: February 05, 2013, 05:51:40 PM »
not much there yet... HillaryClintonOffice.com

Opened on January 31 - the news says she wants to devote her time and interest to Woman's issues.

Steph

« Reply #196 on: February 06, 2013, 06:10:04 AM »
Not sure about how I feel about her trying again. Elizabeth Warren interests me more at this point.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #197 on: February 06, 2013, 06:45:13 AM »
I'm with you, Steph.  I'm beginning to think Hilary can do more good outside the presidency - like Bill has done.  As much as I admire her and feel she would do a great job, she is such a polarizing figure, and I fear the stalemate would be even worse than it is now.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

MaryPage

« Reply #198 on: February 06, 2013, 08:33:03 PM »
I love Hilary Clinton, though I have been rather desperately wishing for YEARS now that she would give up those teen age locks and get a sensible Dame Judi Dench hairdo.  I would vote for her in a heartbeat for President.

But, like you, the one who really, really, really turns me on is Elizabeth Warren.  Never have I heard a candidate, male or female, who can answer questions with so much knowledgeable detail and so many brilliantly thought out solutions.  AND she tells it like it is.  What is more, I have heard so many economists on the talky talk shows giving their two bits worth and, while straying all over the boundaries of our language trying to explain what the men seem to find unexplainable, they wind up in the long run saying just what Warren can say in two minutes!

MaryPage

« Reply #199 on: February 06, 2013, 08:52:29 PM »
Justice Sonia Sotomayor will be the guest of Charlie Rose on the Charlie Rose show tonight on PBS for the entire hour.  I can hardly wait, as I find her so fascinating and admirable.