Author Topic: Three Cups of Tea ~ Mortenson ~ Book Club Online ~ Prediscussion  (Read 23398 times)

BooksAdmin

• TopicManager

Three Cups of Tea
by
Greg Mortenson & David Oliver Relin

Three Cups of Tea is an inspirational story of one man's efforts to address poverty, educate girls, and overcome cultural divides.  This book won the 2007 Kiriyama Prize for nonfiction revealing the enormous obstacles inherent in becoming such "family." ~ Bookmarks Magazine

"The first time that you share tea with a Balti, you are a stranger" a villager tells our author.  "The second time, you are an honored guest.  The third time you become family." ~ Three  Cups of Tea

Three Cups of Tea -- Homepage.....
Ignorance -- the Real Enemy.....
Synopsis and Biography.....
.Three Cups of Tea is currently #1 on both
the Washington Post  and the
NY Times  Non-Fiction Best Seller lists.

Discussion Leaders: Andy(ALF43), JoanK & Pedln

ALF43

Re: Three Cups of Tea ~ Mortenson & Relin - Proposed ~ May
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 02:30:58 PM »
"Welcome to SeniorLearn's discussion of the award winning true story Three Cups of Tea, the most extraordinary humanitarian mission of our time.  Greg Mortenson, the co-author of this book  shares his story of how a mountain climb resulted in a humanitarian effort which has resulted in the construction of about 80 schools in Afghanistan and Pakistan."

Read with us and discuss your thoughts.  Let us know if you agree with the author who  believes:
"Fighting terrorism is based in fear, but promoting peace is based in hope."
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 06:35:58 PM »
The word is out. Every year 200 to 300 names are nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize (and not leaked  for 50 years), but those in the know say that  Greg Mortenson’s book about one man’s effort to build peace, Three Cups of Tea, has officially been nominated for  this prize. What an exciting time to read this book

In a recent Reuters interview, Mortenson explains why he feels it is so important to educate girls.

"The way to curb population growth is female literacy. When girls learn to read and write in impoverished areas they teach their mothers to do so. When girls learn to read, you will see mothers unfold the newspaper... and ask the girls to read to them. This is the first time women can get accurate information about what is going on in the world."

Join us in May as we read and discuss Three Cups of Tea, and if your small grandchildren are nearby, read to them the children’s version of Mortenson’s book, Listen to the Wind.  There is also a young adult version of the same title.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 03:35:02 PM »
This is going to be really exciting. I've started the book, and had to force myself to put it down. Come and join what I think will be a really GREAT discussion. In a time of worry and anxiety, we need to hear how one person, with nothing but his own strength of purpose,  can spread hope.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 08:14:36 PM »
OK, I'm in.

Persian

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 08:16:14 PM »
JOAN - I'm delighted to see that Greg Mortenson's Three Cups of Tea has been proposed, since I certainly enjoyed it and the recent discussion about his adventures with our local Library, which asked me to talk about Afghan culture in connection with the book.  There were fascinating points which the various BookEnds members took away after completing the book - and which they shared eagerly with each other (and me) - thus enabling us to have a broad sense of what "spoke" to each reader.  And when the readers learned the cultural meaning of the book's title, they broke out in applause.  I recommend the book with enthusiasm as it is truly an opportunity to see how one man's initial efforts made a huge difference in an unknown (to the Westerner) world region.  For those posters who might like to introduce children and/or youth to the topic, Mortenson's  Listen to the Wind is a delightful selection.

Here is a link to the several editions of Mortenson's tales about his adventures in Central Asia.
NOTE: Listen to the Wind is especially appropriate for children to learn about the rural village in Pakistan and perhaps to consider how best to relate to and understand the children of those villages.  It has also served in our community to interest youngsters to contribute their pennies to projects designed for the village children.

Mortensen's Tales

Mahlia

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 08:47:17 PM »
PATH: great to see you here! MAHLIA: we will rely on your knowledge of Afganistan to help us understand this adventure. Your posts always light up any discussion you're in.

Persian

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 09:18:34 PM »
It will be MY pleasure to join in the discussion and learn about the impressions of others about Mortenson's efforts to bring about a better understanding of the region, while sharing some of his own unique experiences. 

At the moment, I am listening in the background to a marvelous PBS program - "Cantors" - which among its selections features the Jewish traditional music of the Middle East.  As I sign along with some of the verses, I am reminded of the wonderful stories I learned as a child.
The Diaspora was world-wide, so many traditions (including music) include regional and local hints of the populations - some Jewish, others not.  I recall humming and singing some of the verses to a couple of similar songs when I was in Iran many years ago.  That little bit of vanity on my part led me to meet two marvelous Persian Jewish families.

Mahlia

Persian

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 10:14:25 PM »
JOAN - Here is the CBS News link to an interview with author Greg Mortenson in which he explains how/why he was persuaded to write Three Cups of Tea.  Reading the book AND listening to his interview gives one a more complete understanding of why he was persuaded to write of his experiences in Central Asia.  Perhaps you may want to add this link to the Proposed discussion site.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/01/04/sunday/main4697362.shtml

Mahlia

kidsal

• Howdy from Rock Springs, WY
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 05:56:16 AM »
Have ordered the book.

ALF43

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 10:13:17 AM »
MAHLIA- THANK YOU!  That interview is very impressive, isn't it?  A legacy of peace for the children has begun.  I think that we should link that CBS interview at the top Pat.

Thanks again.

kidsal- I am delighted that you will be joining us.  Tell your friends, tell your neighbors.  This should be an interesting discussion.
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2009, 12:26:41 PM »
Kidsal, PatH, and Mahlia, so glad you'll be joining us. 

And Mahlia, thank you for the link to that interview.  It's good to have one so recent.  And so interesting -- I didn't know he was an ER nurse.

Persian

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2009, 02:38:02 PM »
Here's one more link to an interesting report on Afghan culture from The New Hours with Jim Lehrer.  One of their female reporters has been in country talking to Afghan women of varying backgrounds, as well as school girls who are not afraid to step forward and let it be known that they want/need an education and plan to get the very best they can.  Some of the comments about females in Afghan culture are heart breaking, but unfortunately true.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/asia/jan-june09/afghanwomen_03-20.html

If anyone works with local libraries, it would be an excellent opportunity while the Mortenson discussion takes shape here to suggest that the Libraries (especially the children and youth sections) feature Mortenson's books and create opportunities for American kids to learn about and possibly help the Afghan youth.  Just a suggestion, but I know of several in our area which have done so with great interest on the parts of the kids, who shared the info with their school classes.  I've even encouraged Scouts to get involved in this topic as one of their international commitments.

Mahlia

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2009, 10:14:03 PM »
thanks for the great links, PERSIAN. We'll get them into the heading.

JoanR

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2009, 03:17:20 PM »
Count me in!  I'll pick up the book this week.  I've been reading "A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush" by Eric Newby to get a feel for the Afghan countryside.  That was written back in 1958 so it's definitely not contemporary but the terrain, of course, does not change and it doesn't hurt to have some historical perspective on anything we do.  I also suspect that things don't change too much for the folks in the hinterlands from one year to the next.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2009, 03:21:40 PM »
Welcome. JOANR! I think you'll like this book a lot.

Justin

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2009, 10:29:38 PM »
It looks like Gregg Mortenson has accomplished a task I would have considered almost impossible-that of building schools for girls under the noses of the Taliban and he has built not one school but 78 schools with ten more under construction. The man is a giant and I hope the Swedes recognize the accomplishment.  If he has a Nobel Mortenson will attract much more financial support.

I came across a little book the other day compiled by a man named I.M. Kunna. It is a book in catechetic format designed for western Islamic women. Question #35: What is the best position Islam prefers for women? Answer: Housewives. Q 81: Who has the right to divorce? A: Men, because women are sensational. Q 93: What are the husband's right from a wife? A: Obedience, conservation of his money, dignity and patience if poor. Q151: What is Islam's direction toward dower? (Dower is the price paid for woman) A. The less, the better. Q 211: What is the penalty of a married adulterer, in Islam? A: Stoning to death. Q 237: What was the first cause of the corruption of the children of Israel? A: Women.

This looks like a discussion I am going to enjoy.

ALF43

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2009, 11:26:15 AM »
Oh Justin, there you are!  I was hoping my link wouldn't self destruct. 
Sadly, as you have noted, the world is still most dire for many Islamic women. 
We will enjoy your insight in this discussion.  Welcome aboard!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2009, 03:19:20 PM »
great, Justin. Glad to see you.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2009, 09:54:06 PM »
JoanR and Justin, terrific that you're joining us. And everyone is bringing along such interesting information.  This is going to be a great discussion.

Persian

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2009, 09:56:08 PM »
For those who might be interested, ABC Anchor Charles Gibson announced tonight that Greg Mortenson's interview about his experiences in Afghanistan will be included in  tomorrow evening's (Friday, March 27) news segment "Making a Difference."

JUSTIN - May I ask the title of the book by I. M. Kunna to which you refer? 

ALF43

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2009, 09:21:13 AM »
Mahlia- at what time will that be aired?
Does C.Gibson have a nightly show?  I never watch TV early but will Teevoo it for later viewing.

Persian

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2009, 09:41:17 AM »
ALF - The ABC evening news program which I watch nightly is aired at 6:30 p.m.  Check your daily TV news listing or the ABC online site to see the schedule for your local time.

OR here's a link to the ABC station - click on World News to watch the program online if you prefer.

http://abcnews.go.com/WN

Mahlia

ALF43

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2009, 09:45:19 AM »
thank you Mahlia- I am ON it. 
We are very pleased that you will be with us in our discussion.  Your views and your experiences are grand.

Persian

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2009, 09:47:43 AM »
NOTE:  I just modified my post from a moment ago to include the link to the World News Evening Program.

I, too, am looking forward to this discussion.

ALF43

Re: Three Cups of Tea ~ Mortenson & Relin - Coming May 1st
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2009, 09:52:25 AM »
thank you Mahlia, I have it on to be recorded.

MarjV

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2009, 07:08:30 PM »
Mortenson was person of the week on ABC Nightly News tonight.

Here's the link.......

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/PersonOfWeek/story?id=7188954

Justin

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2009, 07:18:58 PM »
Mahlia: The book title is "Miscellaneous  Questions and Answers for the Muslim Women." The publisher is Darussalam of Riyadh, Houston, and Lahore pub date is December 1996. It is catalogued in King Fahd National Library Data.

hats

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2009, 05:52:27 AM »
I watched Person of The Week last night. It's an amazing  and inspiring story. He has given his heart to teaching the students in those schools. He sees the importance of girls receiving an education.

fairanna

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2009, 10:10:21 AM »
I stopped in to see if I might be interested and I AM so I guess I will go to B&N and get the book I am so HAPPY my vision has been returned and I can READ again..I think of all the books I have read over the years and there were only a few whose names I forgot that were not worth the time..this one really seems to be one I dont want to miss... ;D

Babi

« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2009, 10:36:59 AM »
I'm happy to say my library has "Three Cups of Tea".  I definitely plan on joining in for this discussion.  Looking forward to it...
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

ALF43

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2009, 12:03:27 PM »
Babi, you and I are old timers discussing books together, aren't we?  I always love it when you give me a run for my money in our discussions- you keep me on my toes and always add so much to a story.  Welcome- now hop on over to your library and get your book!

Anna- I can't begin to tell you how good your post makes me feel.  I am just over joyed that your vision has returned.  I can't imagine anything in the world worse than me not being aboe to read.  I am looking forward to your participation in Three Cups of Tea.

Hello there Hats- It is good to see you once again out here on our boards.  Greg Mortenson is quite the guy, isn't he?  Imagine coming down from the world's 2nd highest mountain a broken man and accomplishing what he did? 

This is an awesome story.  I've been doing some research on these mountain climbers- I can not imagine anyone wanting to summit these peaks but hey-- different strokes, right?  Will you be reading along with us on this story.  We would love to have you join in.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2009, 06:26:09 PM »
Anna, Babi, Hats! Hoorah! We're going to have fun.

I'm one of those people who are always reading mountain climbing books. But somehow, I haven't read one about K2. If one of you know a good one, let me know.

winsummm

« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2009, 11:42:57 PM »
three cups is about people living in the mountains of pakistan which is very appropriate  for us these days. It really helps me to understand the news lately. I loved the book and will come along with all of you since there is so much in there that one could keep reading it over and over.

I was going to pass it on to  my daughter but  it is really a keeper so will share with all of you instead.

claire
thimk

ALF43

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2009, 08:56:52 AM »
Winsummm-  hold on to that book for just a bit longer, we would like you to join us.

fairanna

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2009, 05:32:12 PM »
When I checked out B&N they has several editions some for younger readers and some others some of the copies were more costly than I want to pay .please let me know which edition you are using and I will check with my library ...I have to say the comments posted made me want to really read and discuss.....

ALF43

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2009, 06:24:14 PM »
Anna, I believe that each one of those books has a different name. We are reading Three Cups of Tea, One Man's Mission to Promote Peace.  One school at a time. 

The other two books are children's stories, one for the young adult and one for children younger.

Justin

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2009, 08:45:51 PM »
David brooks has some interesting things to say today about the people of Afghanistan. They are apparently a different breed from those we have come to know in Iraq. Both populations are Islamic and guided by Sharia and the Qu'ran but the people's response to these guides are less stringent in Afghanistan and the village people feel constrained by Taliban rule. One large problem facing any one who seeks stability in this country is that of the poppy and the poppy farmer. 

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2009, 04:14:20 PM »
Saturday, I found out by accident that the Discovery Channel was airing "Disaster on K2". I was in time to see the end. It was about a climbing expedition, where a number of people died. It was a reconstruction, so I don't know for sure that the mountain shots they showed were actually from the regeon, but they certainly reinforced Mortensen's comments about the beauty and terror of the mountains in the region.

Look for it: Discovery usually repeats it's programs.

ALF43

« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2009, 12:44:22 PM »
Oh I like the Discovery channel Joan, too but I didn't see that one listed.  I will check my Teevo list and see if it's going to be repeated.