Archives & Readers' Guides > Talking Heads ~ Curious Minds ~ Op/Ed

Curious Minds ~ Sugar and High Fructose Corn Syrup--Are they poisons?

(1/7) > >>

BooksAdmin:
Curious Minds
A two week forum for conversation on ideas and criticism found in print - in magazines, journals and reviews

The topic for the next two weeks:
   Sugar and High Fructose Corn Syrup--Are they poisons?

Relevant Links and Articles
Sugar-The Bitter Truth Video  A college class is offered by an expert!

Recommended daily sugar intake?  "Are there really limits to our sugar intake?"

Media And Food Fears

Myths About HFCS"Well, who is right?  We are getting all kinds of opinions!"

High Fructose Not As Bad? "This is only the opinion of James Krieger, MS,   but  he was hired by the Corn Refiners' Association to give it."

Rename HFCS?

Is Sugar Worse Than Tobacco?

Soft Drinks May Raise or Risk Depression

Discussion Leader:  AdoAnnie

ANNIE:
"Curious Minds"  returns!  We have decided to discuss the problems with sugar and High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS).  Seems that different "experts" have diverse opinions.  Some were hired to give their opinions and one is giving a college class on the topic.  Hmmmmm?
We will also be  looking at the substitutes.  Are there safe ones?
Should we avoid some and why?

Hope to see you all starting on Thursday, Jan 17th.

pedln:
Adoannie, I'm glad Curious Minds is back, and I think the subject of sugar is an important one.  This past summer I was diagnosed with elevated blood sugar, which scared the heck out of me, but turned out to be a good wake-up call. The numbers are back where they should be and  now I'm trying to keep the 30 lbs I lost, off.

Remember the old saying, the old ad -- "Orange juice from Florida; it isn't just for breakfast any more."  I think we were all really duped about the benefits of fruit juice, which has a high concentration of sugar.  Not only that, but a lot of it has had all the pulp and fiber removed, so we don't even get the benefits of that.  I don't touch it any more.  One of the articles above (I've been browsing) makes some reference to fiber and how it cuts the concentration of sugar.

ANNIE:
Good morning, Pedl'n,
Yes, you right about juices but I water mine down with water and hope I am not getting too much sugar.  My understanding is that if one gets fiber from a juice, its not as harmful.
If you listen to just 5 minutes of "The Bitter Truth" and then listen or read the links about the other side of the story of HFCS, its makes you think twice about using sugar so often.
I remember the doctor in "The Bitter Truth" saying the average person (American) consumed a huge amount of sugar annually. We(Ralph and I) eat about 5 lbs a year which is 2.5 lbs each.  Not anywhere near his numbers.

But he has some frightening facts about sugar and HFCS and how its affecting children around the world.  Babies having bariactric surgery in Japan, Australia etc.  Babies!! The American diet has been transferred to many foreign countries and is doing much harm to all, especially to to us.
Obesity has become a serious problem around the world but I think we have the most serious problem here in the states.
I hope all who discuss this topic will listen to the audios and read the articles cited here and mention the problems to their friends and families!
I watch my grans live on soda and many sugared foods.  Its really frightening to see this happening.  Who knows what is in the future healthwise for them?  One is already overweight at the age of 13!From one of the above links:
We know that sugary sodas aren't good for our bodies; now it turns out that they may not be good for our minds, either. A new study of more than 260,000 people has found a link between sweetened soft-drinks and depression -- and diet sodas may be making matters worse.

BarbStAubrey:
As I understand it the corn fructose is the demon - I learned a few years ago my body reacts badly to corn products - try to shop and find foods that do not use corn fructose is like trying to find a needle in haystack - not just the frozen but most of what we can purchase in cans and jars all use corn fructose - even most meds are fixed in corn starch causing me big problems, I can't breath - my lungs fill up and contract simultaneously. I've some capsules that work but then they elevate my blood pressure -

Bless their hearts but the doctors do not know all what is in the prescriptions and can only prescribe what is available - not like years ago calling the pharmacy and telling them exactly what and how much was to be put into the locally made prescription drug.

Since this all became an issue I read that the sugar made from corn does not have something in it that allows the body to know when to stop eating - I never have read anything negative about sugar made from Beets which started I think back in the 1920s - but you can find real cane sugar and that is what I use in all my made from scratch foods - do not drink soda water nor do I put sugar in my coffee or tea - but weight is a problem part of I know because I do not have time to make all my meals and restaurant foods uses those giant size cans of food prepared with corn sugar.

I remember this came to light back in the 1980s that Nestles was offering free baby formula to moms in 3rd world countries - problem filled with corn sugar that did not give the baby what a healthy mother would have had she nursed. One of these social engineering ideas that mothers then would be free from nursing so they could work - supposedly this was to eliminate hunger. Ah so...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version