Author Topic: In Memory of Babi (Barbara Simpson)  (Read 7597 times)

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
In Memory of Babi (Barbara Simpson)
« on: March 01, 2013, 05:50:12 PM »

In Loving Memory

Our Babi
(Barbara Simpson)

A Discussion Leader and dear and trusted friend in SeniorNet and SeniorLearn since 1998

Babi's chosen signature that appeared on each of her posts:
  "I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."   John Burroughs.

We will always come into SeniorLearn first thing in the morning , expecting to find, hoping to find Babi sharing her honey in one discussion or another .  What a blessing it has been to have her with us all these years!  Please post some of your  Babi memories.  We'd like to share them with her family so they  know how much she's meant to us.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Re: In Memory of Babi (Barbara Simpson)
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 05:54:21 PM »
A morning will not go by without thinking of Babi, expecting to find her comments, often dry and witty, always helpful, providing something to think about the rest of the day.

Thank you for all the years you've given to us, old friend! You will live on in our archived discussions, our thoughts and our hearts.
Sincere sympathy to the family Babi always spoke of so fondly!

mabel1015j

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 06:53:06 PM »
I loved Babi's comments. I will miss her insight.

Jean

MaryPage

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 08:01:19 PM »
She was just here, wasn't she?  That was sudden, and is a huge loss for us. I felt we were kindred spirits.  Oh yes, I will miss her sorely. 
God Speed Babi.

Tomereader1

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 08:15:02 PM »
I will miss her posts.  She seemed like such a kind-hearted person, and so erudite.  Always helpful, quick with kind words.  And Val, she loved and appreciated you so very, very much.
My heart goes out to you and the rest of your family, and I cannot fathom the deep sadness you must be feeling now.  Bless You.
Babi will be sorely missed here.

Tomereader (Joanne)
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

rosemarykaye

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 03:04:00 AM »
I am so very sorry to hear this news. Babi was a wonderful person, and always made such interesting, informed and generous conversation.  A very sad day for all of us here.

Rosemary

Steph

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 05:44:30 AM »
Babi, I will miss you so very much. You always had just the right thing to say and we shared so many interests in authors.. Sweet journey and much love, If it is true, that you never really die as long as someone remembers you, you will live as long as I do.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Frybabe

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 07:46:06 AM »
Oh, no! What sad news to wake up to. I'll miss Babi and her posts; they were always so interesting thourhtful, and informative.  My condolences to the family.

Dana

• ::
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 08:47:30 AM »
So sorry to learn of the death of Babi.  I did enjoy reading her posts.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 09:51:35 AM »
What a blow - to lose Babi so suddenly!  Such a loss to her blood family and her SeniorLearn family. We will all miss her wonderful mind, her insights, and her kindness.  I know our condolences will find their way to her loved ones.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

bookad

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 12:52:30 PM »
so very sad to hear of Babi's passing.  Such wonderful thoughts, comments, insights she contributed to discussions.  I always looked forward to reading her posts.  My thoughts go with her family.
Deb
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wildflower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 01:09:21 PM »
This is such a shock.  Babi was always there, for everyone. She spoke her mind, but always recognized the comments and thoughts of others with kindness and thoughtfulness.  She will be greatly missed. 

Jonathan

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 02:06:58 PM »
How very, very sad to hear about Babi's death. It's a shock. So many years we've all enjoyed her many posts. Hail and farewell!

horselover

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2013, 02:25:21 PM »
When my husband died nine years ago, I was lost in grief. Then one day, I discovered the Senior Online Book Club and had many wonderful discussions with Babi. I feel deeply sad to learn that she is gone.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2013, 04:41:39 PM »
I can't believe Babi is gone. We led so many discussions together, I always thought of her as my partner in crime. If it was difficult, but rewarding, I knew Babi would be up for it. In spite of the fact that she posted just the opposite a few days ago:
 "Maybe it's one of the perks of old age.  We don't feel we
need to read all the 'important' books.  Peace, quiet, a few laughs or an intriguing mystery."

But we were the ones that read all the "great books" together, and loved them! AND all the intriguing mysteries. Whatever I read, she was there too, adding her honey wherever we went, in all times and places. The journey won't be the same without her. I will miss her forever.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2013, 06:56:30 PM »
We never met in person, I didn’t even know what she looked like until now, but Babi and I have been friends for almost ten years.  We’ve laughed together, worked together, argued books together.  She always had something cogent to say.

I really liked hearing her talk about her life with daughter Valerie.  What a loving, agreeable family.  I can’t imagine the pain you must be feeling now, Valerie.

Babi, I’ll never forget you.  God bless you now, in your new adventure, wherever you are.

Good lift, Babi, and safe landing.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2013, 07:27:12 PM »
DEAR BABI.  It was too sudden for all of us in the book discussions.   You were one of us, always in the discussion with such astute posts, we looked forward to your comments.

We will miss you very much. 

We all feel very sad for Valerie, your beloved daughter. 

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2013, 10:11:28 AM »
I remain stunned by Babi's sudden passing, I still can't take it in. We've lost so many of our family here, recently. So many voices which we looked forward to hearing are now silent.

It's amazing how well you get to know people in our books discussions, even though we live miles and in some cases continents apart. People we are so lucky to have met through the medium of the internet, in a shared love of books, whom we would never have had the opportunity to know otherwise.

One thing I always noticed and appreciated  about Babi was that no matter how difficult the subject, (or the discussion, for that matter), if she had signed on, she was there.  She never let the leader of the discussion or the discussion itself down. She would tackle anything that came up with the same optimistic curiosity.  She was loyal to a fault, she was there every morning and always had something new, thoughtful, interesting, kind, and as one of our posters observed, generous to say. Often she'd see things in the text nobody else had caught, and she'd be right. I admired those qualities in her, and our discussions were the richer for her contributions.  

It's very difficult to lose somebody like Babi.  My sincere sympathy  to her family whom she loved so well.

Mahlia

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2013, 10:46:55 PM »
I remember BABI for all the many times she assured me that my family would be well taken care of in prayers and positive thoughts DAILY:  my husband, Mohamed in Egypt; my son David (commonly called "Chaps" since he is an Army Chaplain) during his international deployments with his soldiers - twice to Iraq and once in the mountains of Afghanistan.  As a long-time resident of the metropolitan Washington DC area, I also recall her trip to Washington DC years ago and recalled (with her) the purpose of that trip and the pleasure she gained from it. 

BABI always reminded me of my University colleagues - digging deeply into the printed page, thinking of the purpose of the various styles writing she read (and shared) with so many of us, not only via this site, but in occasional direct contact, too.  She had a marvelous mind and encouraged all of those with whom she interacted to REACH OUT and truly understand a topic, a book, a character in film or legendary tales of yore.

I'm thinking of BABI now not only as a long-time online friend whom I greatly admired, but a grand Lady whose Spirit is now relaxing on Heaven's front porch (near my California cousin, Fred, who passed in early February) and reminding us that she is NOT GONE FOR GOOD, but only residing now at a somewhat greater distance.  She has "passed the torch" to other friends who remain active in this marvelous site and knows without a doubt that the friendships developed here (and in many cases in the earlier Senior discussions) will continue.  So to BABI, I can say with great affection as I write "Bless you, Lass!  We all shared a GREAT JOURNEY!

Mahlia (Persian)

hats

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2013, 07:46:14 AM »
Babi's signature line is very beautiful. This is the first time I remember seeing her. Friendly.

marjifay

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2013, 05:20:09 PM »
I will miss her intelligent and interesting postings. I also liked her sense of humor.    A lovely photo, and it looks much as I thought she might look.

My sympathy does to her family.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

nlhome

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2013, 06:43:43 PM »
I too appreciated Babi's posts and will miss her.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2013, 10:34:28 AM »
Babi was a wonderful discussion leader and participant. She prepared herself for both roles, reading and re-reading the book and looking for related material. She asked great questions, posted interesting thoughts and was always responsive to the other people in the discussion. I too will miss her thoughtful presence in our book community.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2013, 11:07:16 AM »
Dear Valerie and family,
Your mother will be so missed on SeniorLearn.  She always offered us a different way of looking at a subject that was being discussed. In a kindly manner, she would offer both sides of a question and then gently discuss it.  She was so loved and admired.  I see her picture at the top of this page and remember her at our 2002 book group visit to Washington.  
Please accept my sincere condolences and know that we are all keeping you and your family and friends in our good thoughts and prayers at this difficult time in your lives.
We will always miss our Babi.
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2013, 02:53:00 PM »
The loss of Babi - she meant so much to our discussions - She meant so much to me.

I saw Babi's posts every day as kind and oh so fair; always showing both sides of an issue - Babi picked out bits of humor that often went over our heads and her opinions about poetry was very practical seeing a poets striving for the heavens as just that, impossible striving. Babi supported with her kindness everyone in a discussion and posted every day.

Over the years like all of us her interests became wider and deeper. The more we read the more we touch on authors from Homer to J.K.Rawlings and Babi brought them all into her comments.

I miss her - her gentleness and support - I miss her posts - Babi made each of us feel like we were her best friend. I just know she is with the angles remarking on how well they fly and telling them they do a nice job keeping their wings clean and white.

This was the last poem that Babi shared with us - full of fun and in response to the fun another poster shared about her grandchild.

Everyone grumbled. The sky was grey.
We had nothing to do and nothing to say.
We were nearing the end of a dismal day,
And then there seemed to be nothing beyond,
Then
Daddy fell into the pond!

And everyone's face grew merry and bright,
And Timothy danced for sheer delight.
"Give me the camera, quick, oh quick!
He's crawling out of the duckweed!" Click!

Then the gardener suddenly slapped his knee,
And doubled up, shaking silently,
And the ducks all quacked as if they were daft,
And it sounded as if the old drake laughed.
Oh, there wasn't a thing that didn't respond
When Daddy Fell into the pond!
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2013, 12:05:42 PM »
When I joined SeniorNet in the late 90's through AOL, I never posted but always diligently checked out the Mystery book forum for what interesting mysteries were being read.  I rarely post on SeniorLearn but I will certainly miss seeing Babi's name and reading her posts.  Such a feeling of sadness at losing her.