Author Topic: Anthology of SeniorLearn Favorites ~ June-July Book Club Online ~ Short Stories  (Read 11385 times)

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome.

Short Stories - Some SeniorLearn Favorites - JUNE/JULY

June 1 - 3: Book of Funny Smalls & Everything

It is said that a good short story should include: * a strong theme, * a fascinating plot, * a fitting structure, * unforgettable characters, * a well-chosen setting, * an appealing style.  Let's consider these elements as we discuss the following stories.  Is it necessary to include them all in a successful story?

Notice that the titles are all links to the stories.

Discussion Schedule:
June 1 -June 7
*The Book of The Funny Smells--and Everything (1872) by Eleanor H Abbott  
*The Necklace or The Diamond Necklace (1880) -  by Guy de Maupassant
 * Butterball(Boule de Suif) 1884 - by  Guy de Maupassant (if time allows)
*A Pair of Silk Stockings (1896)b] by Kate Chopin  

I'm looking forward to this - it should be fun - not the long discussions we typically have - amazing how much can be packed into a few pages of words by a gifted author.  We will be reading stories that span over 140 years - what social changes took place - amazing...
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

waafer

• waafer
Have been downloading some of the short stories on my kindle so look forward to June 1st or rather it will be June2nd over here.

salan

I've read 3 of the stories & am ready for the discussion to begin.  Will the entire month be taken up with short stories?
Sally

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
We've planned to discuss ten stories, Sally - which will spill right into July.  Tomorrow morning we begin!  Not long now...

salan

It's June 1.  Why haven't we started?  Are week-ends hard for some people?  I've read 3 of the short stories; but am waiting for someone to initiate the conversation.
Sally

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Sally - hop over to the discussion of Eleanor Abbott's Book of Funny Smells - and Everything - just opened this morning.  We need to advertise more...