Author Topic: Talking Heads ~ Happiness  (Read 18259 times)

ALF43

Re: Talking Heads ~ Happiness
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2009, 09:06:58 AM »
Two very important assets, indeed, BUT no- that's not it, Joan.

Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

Babi

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2009, 09:38:14 AM »
  GINNY, the studies in the article seem to find that people have much more in common than you might think, and that we're not all 'so different'.  They also note that people of like backgrounds and interests tend to group together, so your neighbor is likely to feel/think much as you do about the 'biggies' of life.

As for the 'foie gras', I think you would definitely try it. You're not afraid to
experiment and try new things. Whether you will like it or not depends on whether you like liver, which is definitely a personal taste. Me, I like liver, esp. chicken (but not beef) and I would probably love foie gras.

JOAN, I suspect you might like a short voyage, but not a long one. You would miss your family and your daily activities and you'd want to get back home.

No fair, ALF! There are so many fine values to choose from. We are supposed to be guessing whether or not you would enjoy a certain something, or not.

Okay,..a question about me. Hmmm...    Do you think I would enjoy learning how to play 42?   
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

ALF43

« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2009, 10:05:53 AM »
Oh alright Babi, you're right.  That is unfair.  I will narrow it down, somewhat. 
Question:  In a Friendship what is the most important quality, IMO?

As for 42, I had to google it.
For the literal-minded and those unfamiliar with terms like "base thirteen," this is a number system in which the number 10 is equivalent to our more familiar decimal 13. A base-13 number 42, therefore, is the same as four 13s plus 2, or decimal 54. So "six by nine" (six times nine) or decimal 54 is, in base 13, 42. For the mystically inclined, 42 in base 13 is the same as 110110 in binary (base 2). This could mean almost anything, and many Adams fans have spent untold hours discovering all of the places where the number "42" pops up. For example, there are many mentions of the number in the Book of Revelation. Others have made a game of finding 42s, such as these:

The angle at which light reflects off of water to create a rainbow is 42 degrees.
Two physical constants in the universe are the speed of light and thediameter of a proton. It takes light 10 to the minus 42nd power seconds to cross the diameter of a proton.
The sum of the ordinal alphabetic positions of the initials (SPG) for Stan (P.) Gibilisco, an oft-published science and technology writer, is equal to 42 (S=19, P=16, G=7).
A barrel holds 42 gallons.

Is it a guessing game, or a math game? 
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

mrssherlock

« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2009, 10:46:36 AM »
Joan:  Those are truly important but a sense of humor has to be up there, too.  And empathy, we must be able to put ourselves figuratively into another's shoes.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

JoanR

« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2009, 11:52:17 AM »
Jackie,   all of those qualities are important!  I don't think it's possible to narrow our choices down to just one!  I might add "curiosity" too if we should happen to make a list.

OK Andrea - what's the answer?? 

Steph

« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2009, 12:48:29 PM »
Ginny would h ate the foie gras..... Long voyages, hard to tell. I went back to look and the heading is Pursuit of Happiness. How in the world do you pursue happiness.. and how would you catch it.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Babi

« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2009, 08:16:19 AM »
ALF, '42' is a game played with dominoes.  I remember my Dad used to play with friends, and there are some 42 players at the Senior center.  (Isn't it the number '40' that keeps appearing in the Bible?)
  In friendship, I think the most important thing is to be there and willing to listen in time of need. And, of course, be a trustworthy listener. Lips sealed!
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

ALF43

« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2009, 12:36:52 PM »
L O Y A L T Y

ALF43

« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2009, 12:40:24 PM »
Babi= I have playd regular dominoes and Mexican train but have neer heard of 42.  Boy, I was way off wasn't I?

Happiness is a puzzle for me.  I love puzzles, particularly good jigsaw puzzles.  For Christmas Bill bought me a 540 peice "puzzleball."  It has a display stand and is a round globe of our world.  The pieces are plastic.  It was so much fun to put together and proudly sits atop my desk.  Believe it or not, I refer to it quite a bit of the time.

Eloise

• Montreal
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2009, 04:05:52 PM »
Oh! Ginny and Alf, you two always make me laugh. You say "Would I like foi gras?" I don't think you would because 'foi gras' in French is "fat faith". But foie gras is "fat liver". It is a gourmet dish that originated in France and it looks like this:.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4wt6q_le-foie-gras-micuit-daugustin_lifestyle

I think you would like "un petit morceau sur un craquelin" A little piece on a cracker with a glass of fine Bordeaux c'est  délicieux.

Happiness?

An extremely beautiful actress, Carole Bouquet when asked if she was happy she replied that happiness comes in small doses among long periods of sadness and boredom.

There are degrees of happiness, extreme happiness is not constant, we wouldn't be able to stand it because of its intensity but contentment can be quite satisfying if not as exciting.

Occasionally I have found extreme happiness being with someone I love, holding a baby, seeing a beautiful landscape, listening to music, achieving a difficult goal, seeing places I had always dreamed of seeing. 

But I am content with being independent, having family and friend around, challenging my brain, having a nice meal in good company, that sort of thing. Happy people are positive, laugh a lot and avoid bad company.

I

mrssherlock

« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2009, 07:47:29 PM »
Epiphany:  When my cat squirms in delight each morning when I wake up and pet him, that's happiness.  When I catch sight, once again, of the mighty volcano, Mt. Hood, gleaming whitely over the Willamette Valley, my breath catches and I moan at its beauty, that's happiness.  Without this discussion I would not have been ibntouch with these parts of my being.  This has enriched my life beyond words.  Thank you all.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Steph

« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2009, 07:52:13 AM »
I do agree that I get great joy from Seniorlearn.. Communicating with other book lovers is wonderful. Readers often feel isolated from others since so many adults do not read.. Too find a whole community of book lovers is such fun.

Babi

« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2009, 09:42:40 AM »
My Dad brought to my attention the difference between 'happy' and 'contented', somewhat painfully.  Apparently he was bothered by what he felt was inappropriate placidity in a teenager.  Whatever it was, he said, "You're not happy.  You're contented,...like a cow!"  Well, I didn't like the reference to a cow, but I did understand the difference he was pointing out.
    Just for the record, my Dad was a kind man and not in the habit of making hurtful remarks.  I wouldn't want anyone to think badly of him.

ALF43

« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2009, 11:34:55 AM »
AMEN-  Steph!
I completely agree with your statement.

I do agree that I get great joy from Seniorlearn.. Communicating with other book lovers is wonderful. Readers often feel isolated from others since so many adults do not read.. Too find a whole community of book lovers is such fun.

mrssherlock

« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2009, 03:21:16 PM »
Have I confused happiness with elation?  Just a thought.
Jackie

Steph

« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2009, 07:51:33 AM »
I think most of us have a feeling about happiness. It means different things to each of us. Defining it is difficult for any of us.  I get such joy from my dogs. They make me laugh and come to cuddle at least once a day. Nothing like a small shy rescue who comes tentatively to you and then is blissful when you rub her tum and call her sweet thing..
My grandchildren make me happy in an entirely different way and  my adult children and spouses also contribute to a different happiness. Staying in daily touch with email to my best friend since the first grade.. That is still another form of happiness.. See.. different.. Always

lucky

« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2009, 08:48:50 PM »
These past few years I've lost a great deal that contributed to happiness.  My husband died over a year ago after a long bout with cancer.  My health has deteriorated what with a fractured hip, spinal stenosis, and blood clots.  I've lost more than half of our IRA.  All of these events have made me unhappy.  If I could regain what I have lost I would be happier than I am now, but that can never be.  Hopefully my health will improve but the most important person in my life for so many years will never return and the happiness that I once had will be no more.  At this point in my life I would just welcome contentedness.

Steph

« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2009, 07:52:11 AM »
Oh Lucky,, I realize how hard things have been for you. Possibly contentment is the best to help you now. Losing a long marriage other half has to be hard. I know I am lucky in that for 51 years, I have had an other half.. Even though he drives me nuts at times..
But and this is a big but... sometimes tiny things can give you a small part of happiness. I know that at bad times in my life, even the joy of a small bird singing his heart out at dawn on my walk has made me stop and laugh. Dont go for big.. look for small..Sometimes they are the most realistic

Babi

« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2009, 09:02:55 AM »
Good advice, STEPH.  I remember years ago a modern young woman pointing at a turned-over garbage can and exclaiming, "That's real life."  I promptly replied, "So is a sunset!"  She gave a startled "What?"  I told her that a sunset is just as real as a garbage can, and that it was up to her which one she would rather concentrate on. 

ALF43

« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2009, 09:30:20 AM »
Babi- perhap I am just a sentimental old fool but I could hug you!

What a wonderful retort for the "garbage talker."  If each of us would just spend one moment a day spreading joy or hope, what a much happier planet we would encounter.  Do you agree?  Did you see the news where a cople of gals paid for the person behind at a "drive in" window.  That is spreading joy. Pay it forward is a concept I wish we would all adopt.

lucky- here is a huge old hug for you and a wish that we here at Seniorlearn can provide you with a touch of happiness.  {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ hug }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

lucky

« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2009, 11:45:15 AM »
Hi ALF43

Thank you for the BIG hug and to all the others for their kind words.  Seniorlearn does indeed help the loneliness.  It is as though I have new found friends with whom to converse.

mrssherlock

« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2009, 11:53:17 AM »
Lucky:  I feel as if we were all a family, related by ties other than blood but perhaps stronger in some ways.  Your pain is felt by us all, not to the same degree but felt deeply nevertheless.  Like rays of light, from all over the world, centering on you to help you find your path.
Jackie

Eloise

• Montreal
« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2009, 12:20:40 PM »
Yes Lucky contentment is better than bitterness and if it wasn't for contentment I don't know what could have happened for me. Happiness or contentment is finding joy in something that is right in front of us, it can be a newly bloomed flour, or here in Montreal it is leaves that are sprouting one month earlier than usual.

Nothing can replace what you've lost in the same way, but many things can bring you delightful moments and it's up to you to find out what and where they are.

Some find it in their faith, some in family and friends, some in art, some in all of those things, but it's there for sure. I was fortunate to still have my teen aged children still at home and I was still working, so there was not much time to be lonely, it's solitude that makes loosing a spouse worse.

We are all reachable by email, don't hesitate to use it whenever you feel the burden too hard to carry.

Steph

« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2009, 09:25:37 AM »
Amazing.. We really do function as a large caring family. Senior net and now Senior Learn does this. It connects us. Makes us think that we have people who care all over the place. I only have attended one bookies week, but I know that I walked into the beach house and instantly thought I was surrounded by people I knew.. We had such a good time. Books all over the place, conversation everywhere and games flying.. Even though there were some definite cheating going on in the scrabble game.. Hmmph..

Babi

« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2009, 10:16:05 AM »
ALF, I definitely consider myself 'hugged', and it quite cheers me.  Thank you for a lovely start to the morning.

Cheating in a scrabble game, STEPH?  Don't they have a dictionary they have to use to establish the legitimacy of a word?  Of course, the old standard 'Scrabble' dictionary allowed words no teacher of English would ever
recognize or accept!  I love Scrabble.  I'm definitely a word person.

Steph

« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2009, 09:29:57 AM »
We were in a rented house.. So no dictionery.. Cheating was simply a joke.. We had a player, that no matter what we put out, she immediately decided it was not a word.. Not to mention names, but I think a simple G would suffice.
We also played the craziest card game. I cannot even remember the name, but it was wild. All in all a week in the middle of the winter in the south at the beach ( ritzy mansion, expensive in season, but cheap enough out ). We laughed and laughed.. Charleston will never be the same.. Eloise was there, Anna Fair, Judy, Pedlin. Ginny, Joan G. etc.

mrssherlock

« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2009, 02:00:38 PM »
Happiness is:      elation      bliss     contentment       ecstasy     ?   
Jackie

Steph

« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2009, 07:41:50 AM »
OK.. I will go elation, bliss, contentment, not quite sure on the ecstasy.
I misspelled that word five times. Hmm.
Spelling is going for me. I used to be a championspeller, wont all sorts of matches when I was young. I have noted however that in the past few years, I have stopped caring about it.
Another one of those sneaky old things??

Babi

« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2009, 09:14:50 AM »
I love Scrablle, STEPH.  I have the game on my computer, and frequently play with myself.  My kids do not challenge me on a word; it does not pay!   8)  I wish I could have joined you all for what sounds like a wonderful, fun week.

BooksAdmin

• TopicManager
« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2009, 01:57:32 PM »
This discussion is now closed.

Please visit our new topic at http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=420.0

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2009, 02:00:28 PM »
THIS has just been an incredible discussion. Every time I come in here my jaw drops, it's been profound, and I've really gotten a lot out of it, thank you all.

Love the garbage can analogy, Babi.

Andrea did you ever say what the quality was? YES! Yes you did and I was coming in to say loyalty and I see you answered! I want a prize! hahahaa

On the foie gras (hahaha  Eloise, love that just love it, thank you!) your remarks have made me rethink my original position. As Joan said since I do  know how it is made I would not touch it. However if it were served and I did not know what it WAS would I enjoy it? that's another matter, I love pate, so who knows?

That begs an important question, which we will take up in our new Talking Heads #3, a timely topic  we all know a lot about! :) (or do we?)

This discussion is now closed but please come over here to Do Not Go Gentle and let us know what you think!

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=420.msg18196#msg18196