Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece Mystery 2013 & Other PBS Programs  (Read 82696 times)

marcie

• Administrator
PBS Masterpiece Mystery 2013 & Other PBS Programs
« on: May 27, 2013, 02:19:27 PM »

Masterpiece Mystery 2013 presents the best British mysteries. See the complete 2013 MASTERPIECE MYSTERY schedule.  

Post a message about your favorite Masterpiece and PBS programs in the discussion below and you could win a copy of the new book "Making Masterpiece: 25 years Behind the Scenes at Masterpiece Theatre and Mystery! on PBS" by Rebecca Eaton. Read our review of the book and information about the book giveaway made possible by Masterpiece PBS.    
NOW DISCUSSING
Let's talk about any PBS program of interest to us

The Paradise, Season 1
October 6 - November 17

Based on Émile Zola’s beloved classic novel, Au Bonheur des Dames, The Paradise revolves around the lives of the people who live and work in Britain's glamorous first department store, The Paradise. Each is bound in his or her own way by the power of the world they live in, and the pasts that follow them there. A love story, mystery, and social comedy all in one, the lavish costume drama stars Joanna Vanderham (What Maisie Knew) as Denise and Emun Elliot (Game of Thrones) as Moray, alongside Sarah Lancashire (Upstairs Downstairs), Elaine Cassidy (A Room with a View) and Patrick Malahide (Game of Thrones).

ALREADY DISCUSSED

Foyle's War, Season VII
September 15 -29, three 90 minute episodes

Detective Chief Superintendent Christopher Foyle is again in pursuit of criminals who are taking advantage of the confusion created by World War II.

Silk
August 25 - September 8, three 120 minute episodes

Two rival barristers, one an idealistic defense lawyer and the other a ruthless prosecutor, compete for the prestigious appointment as Queen's Counsel in three episodes of high-stakes cases in criminal law.

The Lady Vanishes
August 18 - 90 minutes

A young socialite suspects foul play when a young woman inexplicably disappears from a train, in a stylish and suspenseful new adaptation of the classic thriller The Lady Vanishes, based on the 1936 novel, The Wheel Spins, by Ethel Lina White.

Three episodes of ENDEAVOUR reveal the rocky start of Inspector Morse's career in the police force.

In the all-new 2013 season, Lewis and Hathaway tackle three cases in the seemingly perfect academic haven of Oxford: Down Among the Fearful (June 16), The Ramblin' Boy (June 23), and Intelligent Design (June 30). Guest stars include Peter Davison (Doctor Who) and Edward Fox (Ghandi, Foyle's War).

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP and marcie

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
Re: PBS Masterpiece Mystery 2013
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 07:00:21 PM »
Looking forward to new CI Lewis. Really like him and his partner.

salan

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 04:39:38 AM »
Yea!  I'm looking forward to new Inspector Lewis series.  Let's hope PBS doesn't interrupt it too much with all their pledge drives.  It seems they are having more & more of them and that they last longer and longer.
Sally

Frybabe

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 07:13:31 AM »
Oh good. More Lewis. And a bonus of Peter Davison guest starring. Can't miss.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 10:54:16 AM »
I'm also looking forward to the new series.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 11:25:45 AM »
Me too :-) We just have to wait a couple of weeks until June 16 for the first one!

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 05:05:22 PM »
The pledge drives have been going on on ours for over a week all ready.  They have overdone it here.  It is about every 6 weeks.  Not always the big ones like the one now but big enough to now annoy me as the show to many that have been running for years.

nlhome

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 12:55:39 PM »
Look forward to spending time with Inspector Lewis.
Our PBS station had an auction this weekend. Glad that's over.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 04:24:10 PM »
Marking. Felt lost without a new program on PBS, but one of the stations rebroadcast an old Foyles War. I'd already seen it, but it bore rewatching.

Apparently, there were six seasons. I'm pretty sure I didn't see all of them.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 12:15:48 PM »
Will be no more Insp. Lewis shows after this next season they are saying.  Must have gone through all the stories that author wrote.  Sad, I liked both Insp Morse and Lewis.

Glad the are on DVD's

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2013, 12:29:39 AM »
It sounds like both lead actors thought it time to end the series. But we have this last season to watch now!

MASTERPIECE Mystery returns with an all-new season of murder and mayhem. Don't miss the premiere of Inspector Lewis: Down Among the Fearful, this Sunday, June 16.  Follow Lewis and Hathaway as they uncover the double life of a murdered psychic.

Learn more at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/programs/episode/inspector-lewis-s6-e1-down-among-fearful/

Frybabe

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2013, 06:15:57 AM »
I finally got to see the first episode of The Bletchley Circle on Thursday night. I hope I remember to look for the next on this coming week.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2013, 07:13:38 PM »
I'm glad you got to see Bletchley, Frybabe. I'm looking hopefully forward to season 2.

Frybabe

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2013, 07:19:16 PM »
Oh good, I thought it was a mini-series.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2013, 03:58:11 PM »
Not doing much of any thing today.  Just to hot.  I find I get in the mood about 7pm when sun goes down.

Just watched a movie .had seen it before still cried .  Name of it is "Cora Unashamed"  think it is a tv Masterpiece one now on DVD

Frybabe

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2013, 07:11:03 AM »
I watched the new Inspector Lewis on Sunday. It was good, as usual. I didn't figure out who did it until just before Lewis figured it out.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2013, 11:21:19 AM »
Also enjoyed Lewis on Sunday.  I had suspicions of who the killer was.  Sorry to hear that this will be their last series.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2013, 04:59:38 PM »
I'm going to watch the episode on demand and will be back to comment. (I was watching THE KILLING on Sunday).

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2013, 07:22:46 PM »
I watched the Lewis on Sunday, too.

Is Cora Unashamed a movie with that wonderful actress who was in the series "I'll Fly Away"? I can't remember her name.

Zulema

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2013, 11:16:20 PM »
I watched it tonight on an alternate PBS channel.  I didn't watch it on Sunday because they started it at 10PM and I forgot.  This one began at 8:50 and I missed the first 10 minutes but it was gettable, unlike some previous ones when I must say that even after watching them twice I didn't make sense of them.  I thought this one was good (I didn't switch channels), and I was bothered by one thing only which must have been done on purpose by the direction, and that was Lewis talking with his mouth full of food at the end.  I thought that was awful.  Are they trying to point up his lower class origins?  I thought it was totally uncalled for.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2013, 01:53:00 PM »
I don't think of Lewis thought of as "low class" we did not use that term in U.K . It goes back a long way. We have .Working class,middle class. And still the so called High class. He would come Working class.  This covers most of the population.means any on working in trades such as police.fire,farmers, miners teachers  (unless you carried a high  degree,then you could be middle class.  Like my family for generations where trades people ( w.c). Some became middle after having more money..mrs Thatcher!s family came to this.  Also the family of the now future Queen. Her family were Working class. Made a fortune in sales .so got to be middle. Now I suppose ,upgraded to High.  More because of her and also their education.  This is how you can bring your class up. 

Low class would be still given to people having done something degradable.

Zulema

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2013, 08:14:56 PM »
I don't think I said "low class," I said " lower class", and I meant in comparison with Hathaway; but I simply didn't understand why that was filmed that way.  I have not seen anyone talking and chewing food at the same time, except a young man whose parents never taught their kids any manners, though they themselves had been brought up properly.  And I did ask the young man nicely to swallow his mouthful before continuing his tale.  But my point was why is that scene done that way?  I don't expect Lewis (the character) to eat or talk like that.  Not as shocking as Matthew Crawley being killed off, but very off-putting and unnecessary.

Sorry if that did not bother anyone else and I picked on a petty matter.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2013, 12:20:25 AM »
I watched the Inspector Lewis episode and enjoyed it. Since I know it's going to be the last season, I can't help but wonder if Hathaway's comments at the end about not feeling like returning to work are foreshadowing the end.

My step-son is usually good at figuring out "who done it" though he sometimes guesses wrongly. While we were watching the episode he correctly guessed as soon as he saw the character. That guess made me analyze the show from that perpsective and so I sort of knew who did it from the beginning (though I wasn't absolutely sure till close to the end)

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2013, 05:16:29 PM »
Yes, I can often guess. There is a pattern.

About the crude chewing, maybe the producers felt that the social class theme, while obvious to Brits, would be lost on Americans, and wanted to make it more "in your face." Or maybe (I don't remember the scene) Lewis was irritated at Hathaway's "snootiness" (as he often is), and wanted to say "if you think I'm crude, I'll act that way."

Zulema

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2013, 09:59:18 PM »
Thank you, Joan K.  It was very crude, but this was when they were just sitting afterwards and kind of resting, and Hathaway was a little depressed, and Lewis tried to cheer him up, so nothing was implied by the mouthful.  It was just jarring to me.  Once you are an adult and with a responsible job, you just don't do that.  Well, I should just forget about it.  A bad directorial choice.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2013, 10:34:55 PM »
I wonder how they are going to end the show.  Didn't Morse show dying on the grounds of Oxford?.  Lewis will most probably take retirement. Marry that one Dr.  I think Hathaway is not happy with the profession he chose.  That girl being murdered upset him. Doubt he goes back to Seminary life.  Be interesting.   Don't think they will leave it hanging.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2013, 11:17:06 AM »
It looks like Hathaway won't be in tonight's episode.

THE RAMBLIN BOY
When D.S. Hathaway takes a holiday, Inspector Lewis is left with an awkward new partner, an embalmed murder victim, and a disturbing connection to a missing former colleague.
Peter Davison (Doctor Who) guest stars.

See more information and a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/programs/episode/inspector-lewis-s6-e2-ramblin-boy/

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2013, 04:49:32 PM »
He has substituted before.  Hope it is not a repeat sneaking in on us.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2013, 05:00:18 PM »
They say it's all new.

MaryPage

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2013, 09:00:13 PM »
WETA, one of our 3 PBS channels, showed the 1st new Lewis early this evening, and they are just about to follow that with the 2nd one, the one you mention just above here.  I found the 1st to be full of holes, but more later.  Have to watch the 2nd right NOW!

MaryPage

« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2013, 09:46:59 AM »
Well, I had a marathon of 3 hours of Inspector Lewis last night.  As I said, the first one, which most of you saw last week, was full of holes.  I was most particularly annoyed because a bottle of that special stuff to stun horses or put them down was missing from that horse farm, and it tied in, supposedly, with the crippled boy and all that.  But at the end, it turned out to be a totally different bottle of the same stuff that came from Angola in Africa and a totally different person who did the murders.  They never DO explain what about the stuff missing from the horse farm!  And many other holes.  That sort of thing drives me crazy, but it is pleasant to see the actors, who are great, and the Oxford scenery.
The second show was much more fun, and we romantics got our jollies.  It too was full of obvious holes, and absolutely did not connect the dots;  but it was ever so much fun.
Then, believe it or not, I stayed up and watched the eleven o'clock rerun of last night's episode of THE KILLING on AMC.  For a moment there, they actually showed SUNSHINE in Seattle!  That actress, Mireille Enos, is flat out astonishing, and really the only reason I keep watching.
Color me exhausted, but I did have fun.

Zulema

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2013, 03:04:51 PM »
Oh, definitely full of holes, but I was so happy to see Peter Davison was going to be in it.  I actually met him years ago in connection with a mystery convention, but don't remember which.  I wondered if I'd recognize him, and shouldn't have.  Same face, just a little broader, and gray hair.  I was sure he would be the villain because he always is and I won't tell here if I was right or wrong in my assumption, because someone here might not have seen the episode yet.  And we did see plenty of Hathaway too and the little romance (finally!)  was delightful.  One shouldn't read ahead too much.  These tales are so outrageous.  Imagine if Oxford University were nothing but a nest of vipers and the faculty totally screwed up.  Would you want your grandchildren to go to school there?     

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2013, 03:15:18 PM »
What a Joy to see Lewis and Laura back together - as a pair they are delightful
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Frybabe

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2013, 05:34:52 PM »
Zulema, I am also glad to see Peter Davison making the rounds. I first saw him in Doctor Who and then as Campion. He has been a very busy guy, even if we haven't seen much of him here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Davison Interesting to see that his daughter is married to David Tennant, another former Doctor Who.

I liked the guy who played his substitute partner. Where have I seen him before, he looks familiar.

Addition: Guess not. Played on one or two shows back in 2009. Don't imagine I would have remembered him from there. He just has a familiar face.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2013, 07:32:40 PM »
Some of my family have attended . Also my GD.husband. I have visited last few years . Not like it was years ago.  No scuffing dressing then. No mixes sexes livin together.  It is like the show shows it.  Most campuses now changed. I live (30 yrs ) within a mile of our state one.  Now 37000 students.  Way changed. No rules at all. Just as long as can pay tuition.  Glad all mine are through.

Frybabe

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2013, 10:31:01 AM »
I am pleased to see that Edward Fox will be in the final episode of Inspector Lewis.

Just noticed: The pilot program for Endeavor is available to watch online until July 23 for anyone who missed it or wants to refresh their acquaintance before the new series starts.

Frybabe

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2013, 07:49:03 PM »
My PBS is showing a program about Henry the VIII's (I think that's the right one), house just before Inspector Lewis.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2013, 12:38:23 PM »
Looks like last nights " Lewis" is the last one for us. Will miss as much as I still miss "Morse".  Both be hard to replace.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2013, 03:18:20 PM »
Yes, it appears they are ending the series with Lewis and Hathaway - some of the stories were spotty - where I like Hathaway there were times their buddy system was not smooth - looked to me like for the past two or three stories Hathaway is wearing a hairpiece - I think the Morse Lewis combo was smoother and part of that was they featured Morse where as this one they tried to include Hathaway in every scene till last week when he came in briefly at the beginning and at the end. Last night I thought was smoother than most of the stories.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2013, 07:09:10 PM »
But they did leave themselves wiggle room, if they want to do more another year.

Now maybe they'll rebroadcast some of the Morse, many of which I haven't seen.

Boy is Hathaway thin. He's always been so, but I think he's positively anorexic this year. Hope he's all right.