Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece Mystery 2013 & Other PBS Programs  (Read 82700 times)

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
Re: PBS Masterpiece Mystery 2013
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2013, 07:54:07 PM »

Masterpiece Mystery 2013 presents the best British mysteries. See the complete 2013 MASTERPIECE MYSTERY schedule.   

NOW DISCUSSING
Let's talk about any PBS program of interest to us

Foyle's War, Season VII
September 15 -29, three 90 minute episodes

Detective Chief Superintendent Christopher Foyle is again in pursuit of criminals who are taking advantage of the confusion created by World War II.

ALREADY DISCUSSED

Silk
August 25 - September 8, three 120 minute episodes

Two rival barristers, one an idealistic defense lawyer and the other a ruthless prosecutor, compete for the prestigious appointment as Queen's Counsel in three episodes of high-stakes cases in criminal law.

The Lady Vanishes
August 18 - 90 minutes

A young socialite suspects foul play when a young woman inexplicably disappears from a train, in a stylish and suspenseful new adaptation of the classic thriller The Lady Vanishes, based on the 1936 novel, The Wheel Spins, by Ethel Lina White.

Three episodes of ENDEAVOUR reveal the rocky start of Inspector Morse's career in the police force.

In the all-new 2013 season, Lewis and Hathaway tackle three cases in the seemingly perfect academic haven of Oxford: Down Among the Fearful (June 16), The Ramblin' Boy (June 23), and Intelligent Design (June 30). Guest stars include Peter Davison (Doctor Who) and Edward Fox (Ghandi, Foyle's War).

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP and marcie

I read somewhere this was the last Ins. Lewis.  I went to PBS.com and watched last year's young Inspector Morris.  They are starting the new series (4) of young Inspector Morris next week on our PBS station.  I'm looking forward to them.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2013, 11:23:19 PM »
I enjoyed the last episode. If the series had to end, it was a pretty satisfying ending.

I checked and found out that Edward Fox who played the "master" is Laurence Fox's (Hathaway) uncle.

Yes, Jean, the next Masterpiece series will be a "Morse" series -- a prequel: "Endeavour" -- Morse as a young DC.

MaryPage

« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2013, 08:53:06 AM »
Have a Glorious Celebration of this grand day for us all! 

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2013, 12:54:22 AM »
Thanks, MaryPage. Yes, it was a wonderful day!

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2013, 05:11:01 PM »
I am trying to picture him as Ghandi and it is not coming to me.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2013, 10:00:37 PM »
Oh golly. I was flipping around the channels tonight because there was nothing on and the DVD player would not play the Doc Martin DVD I got from Netflix so I can look at it and see if it's Port Isaac, and lo and behold they were showing  Doc Martin! I could not believe it!  I missed the first part of it.  

It was an episode from series 2 about his father and his mother. What a strange relationship they had. I'm going to have to see more episodes and see what's going on. But I love it, absolutely love it.

Some of the scenes looked a lot like Port Isaac, and  I think some of them were, but some of them didn't.  But they shot five of that series there so it's possible it was.

Sure makes me want to go back there.   AND to see the whole series.   I didn't think I'd like it.   Thank you to whoever mentioned it here.   I love it.  

nlhome

« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2013, 11:35:35 AM »
I watched a Doc Martin episode last night also. I enjoy it.

And I finally was able to watch the last of the Inspector Lewis episodes on line, on the 4th of July. I'm hoping to watch the Endeavor episode tonight on TV, but my husband has a hard time with the accents, so sometimes it's easier to watch on line by myself.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2013, 03:24:58 PM »
I loved the dr. Martin series. Managed to get all the DVD from my library. Now is it no longer being shown in the u.k?  Mine ended where they decided to marry.
I don't have cable and so unable to watch it on t.v

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2013, 04:09:54 PM »
" Mine ended where they decided to marry"

I was going to make a comment, but don't want to spoil it for GINNY. GINNY, you can get most of the episodes online. I don't know anyone who's watched it and didn't like it.

MaryPage

« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2013, 06:41:29 PM »
I enjoyed Doc Martin hugely;  about 3 times for each and every episode.

He is playing William on William and Mary on PBS stations now.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2013, 08:21:27 PM »
And there's a website for the Doc Martin show and they are filming a new season, season six, which they will wrap in July 2013.

In fact today, July 7,  one could meet him at one of the tea shops at Port Isaac. :)

http://www.docmartinonline.net/

Season Six

Filming for season 6 / series 6 of Doc Martin is expected to wrap up by end of July, 2013.

Post Production has already begun on many of the episodes.  At this stage, the series is expected to air in September 2013 in the UK.

I came in as i said in the middle of it and thought I could not watch it, he was so abrupt. I didn't understand it and thought I'd watch it to see Port Isaac.  I am sure glad I stuck it out, I'm hooked. I need to see them all, thank goodness for Netflix.

I am happy to see so many fans here, and to see I can watch some of it online till Netflix comes!!! Thank you Joan K, nlhome and MaryPage.I still don't understand his parents, that was really one of the nastiest mother performances I ever saw. Golly moses.  But it adds humanity to him. (Doesn't his Aunt Joan look like Barbara Bush?)  I actually had never heard of the series!

PBS here is rerunning Downton Abbey here, they are up to  the episode where Sibyl wants to marry the chauffeur.

I need to watch the spoof again. :)

What strikes me this time is how attractive the female cast is and I did not think so initially. I especially thought Mary and the middle daughter were so plain. They don't look plain to me now.

Even the nasty maid is quite pretty, and she looks to be a younger woman than i first thought. This one might be worth watching again too.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2013, 02:16:17 AM »
The July 7 episode of Endeavour

Burgled gas meters, the sudden death of a pretty young secretarial student, and a string of post office robberies threaten to mask the solution to a pair of violent murders as DC Endeavour Morse and DI Thursday's newly forged relationship is tested to the breaking point.

Shaun Evans (The Take, The Last Weekend, Silk) stars as the solitary and cerebral young Inspector Morse, conducting his dogged, incorruptible pursuit of justice from the shadows of Oxford and the fringes of the police force. Roger Allum costars as Detective Inspector Fred Thursday, and Abigail Thaw, daughter of Inspector Morse star John Thaw, makes special guest appearances as Dorothea Frazil, in this new mystery written by Inspector Lewis creator and Inspector Morse writer, Russell Lewis.

I didn't get a chance to watch it tonight but will watch it "on demand" on my cable in the next day or two. You can also see the episode online at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch-online/

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2013, 02:39:20 AM »
I was not prepared to like the retro Morse but find it quite wonderful - love hearing the classical music again and his Jack of all Trade attitude about his ability to tap into a wide knowledge - now I better understand Hathaway since Lewis, when he was Morse's sidekick was not the intellectual compared to Morse and so they needed that element. The series is set in the town of one of the oldest universities.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

salan

« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2013, 04:40:52 AM »
Thank you, thank you, Ginny for the info on Doc Martin.  I love this series.  Evidently, I missed season 1; so will have to try to get it. 

I watched Endeavor last night.  I found the episode rather confusing.  Not sure whether I like it, but will definitely watch other episodes.
Sally

Frybabe

« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2013, 07:42:56 AM »
Last week, before Masterpiece theater, I watched Secrets of the Manor: Henry III which turned out to be Hampton Court. Very interesting. This week was a tour and history of the Spencer home, Althorp, also interesting. The outside shots looking down at the manor reminded me of the outside shots of D'Arcy's home in Pride and Prejudice (the Keira Knightly version). Next week will be a place in Devonshire. The clip showed a brief interior shot of one of the rooms with a lot of statuary. It reminded me of some of the interior shots of the same movie. Now I am curious to find out where they filmed Pride and Prejudice.

I watched Endeavor last night. Although it is certainly watchable and I did enjoy it, the evidence was so feather light that it is a wonder anyone could have put it together to get the correct answer. The ending relied on Morse's fondness for puzzles and the true killer confessing. If the limited hard evidence were followed, the wrong person would have been charged. EM's talent lies in taking misleading and/or no evidence and thinking outside the box to come to a correct conclusion.

MaryPage

« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2013, 09:58:04 AM »
I watched last night, and loved it.  So tell me, which part was played by Thaw's daughter?  I don't remember the name, so what did she DO?  I gather she was neither of the young women:  Pamela or Helen.
"Next week will be a place in Devonshire."
Chatsworth!  Probably the most fabulous of all the amazing homes in Great Britain.  Only it is NOT in Devonshire.  It is in Derbyshire.
You see, Queen Elizabeth got mixed up.  The first one.  The red headed virgin.
She was supposed to tap her sword on this man's shoulders and declare him Duke of Derbyshire.  But she slipped and said Devonshire instead.  And so there is another inexplicable and fun thing to tell about those wonderful British Isles.
The Dukes of Devonshire have held their estate in Derbyshire for centuries.  It was on the top of David's list of things he wanted to see when we went to England in 1971.  So we did.  We spent the better part of a day there.
I have been fascinated with the six famous Mitford sisters since I read Jessica Mitford's THE AMERICAN WAY OF DEATH in the early sixties.  I bought (and own) every book the sisters ever wrote, or was written about them.  I have what might be termed an eccentric collection.  Some of which I have passed on to my history teaching PH.D. granddaughter, Paige.  She will eventually, at my death, receive the whole thing.
Deborah Mitford, the baby of the family, married the 2nd son of the then Duke of Devonshire.  Son number one, the adored heir, was killed in World War II.  Suddenly Debo was in line to become the duchess.  And so she did.  And single handedly saved Chatsworth for another generation.  No one ever expected her to become an author like her much more famous sisters;  but she did.  Look her up!  She is the Dowager now, and her son is the Duke.  Her 5 sisters are all dead.

Frybabe

« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2013, 12:57:23 PM »
MaryPage, you must be talking about the prequel. Thaw's daughter played Dorthea Frazil who was a secretary or assistant of some kind at the college. Blond? Small part as I recall. See will show up again in at least three of the series - Home, Rocket, and Fugue.

Thanks, BTW, now I can up Chatsworth. So, I am not the only one who got confused.  ;D

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2013, 01:05:39 PM »
That series of the Great Houses is wonderfully done. I saw a bit of Althorp and loved the bit about how they were able to face the stone on it, those are really good. All I could think of, tho, looking at that island where Diana is supposedly buried is how she appealed to her brother to stay at  Althorp and he turned her down. I hope I have that right, and I hope that was perhaps mis reported, but that's what was said at the time.

So I won't be going to Althorp.

The series is really exciting tho, and I hope to watch the next one.

I did try (I do realize this discussion is about mysteries on PBS hahaha) to watch Endeavour, I got as far as the electric shock therapy, could not take any more. I do think the actor is one of the most unattractive men I have ever seen; he certainly grew up to be very handsome, didn't he?  hahahaha. Really did not care for it, and believe it or not, it gave me nightmares last night. I  have no idea why, but I'm going to pass on it. :)

You're welcome, Salan, on  Doc Martin. :) I've actually been to that tea house and would have loved to have attended a meet n greet with the actor when I was there.

Frybabe

« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2013, 01:07:02 PM »
http://www.focusfeatures.com/article/pride___prejudice__the_locations?film=pride_and_prejudice

Found the locations for the Pride and Prejudice movie. I was right about Chatsworth (thanks to MaryPage), but not right that Althorp was used.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2013, 01:10:31 PM »
Now I'm really confused over the  Devonshire/ Derbyshire thing. Is this the Duchess of Devonshire? The one who has chickens? If so I have one of her books, what a life. It's interesting that the cover of the book in the UK shows her holding a chicken and the same book in the US shows her in full ball gown regalia. I wonder why the difference.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2013, 04:35:51 PM »
Maybe the editors decided we Yanks wouldn't give her proper deference if she was holding a chicken, but the Brits would be too in awe of her if she was in full regalia.

I watched Endeavor last night, but had to leave in the middle for about 15 minutes. between that and the fact that I couldn't understand some of the actors, I found it very confusing.

And there was no evidence: if the murderer had not confessed, they could never have tried him/her.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2013, 08:33:37 PM »
I really enjoyed last night's Endeavor.  I think young Mr. Morse is rather appealing and thought his concern for the young woman showed a caring side.  Reminds me of the first episode when he explained to the professor's wife that her singing brought the first beauty to his life. He evidently had no loving parents and connected to the younger sister in last night's episode because of that.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2013, 09:23:52 PM »
JoanK
You are right. On endeavor last night. The mumbling was awful. Specialy the young girl who had the baby. Me being from UK and having a accent myself could not understand her at all.  And I am from the north where accents really strong..
The show not as good as the (Morse). Shows. Or even Lewis.

MaryPage

« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2013, 12:08:24 PM »
Right on, Ginny!

You've got the right Duchess.  And I have the book with her on the cover holding a chicken, as well!

And also the book showing her much younger in an evening gown.  Two different books.  Not the same book at all.  There have been many!

She is now the Dowager, as her daughter-in-law is the Duchess.  You mostly see her son, the Duke, and her daughter-in-law in the 3 shows they show on PBS about Chatsworth.  And yes, Chatsworth is in Derbyshire.  And the owners and inhabitants of Chatsworth are the Dukes of Devonshire.  Deborah Mitford Cavendish (Cavendish being the family surname for the Dukes of Devonshire who live in Derbyshire) lives in the Dower House on the estate now.  Look for a very old lady with white, white hair and a huge sense of humor, and you will discover her in those films about Chatsworth.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/02/books/review/Schillinger-t.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deborah_Cavendish,_Duchess_of_Devonshire

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2013, 07:22:16 PM »
MaryPage:
You've got the right Duchess.  And I have the book with her on the cover holding a chicken, as well!
And also the book showing her much younger in an evening gown.  Two different books.  Not the same book at all.  There have been many!

Well I am  confused then. Because both of these books have the same title: "Wait for Me!". It may be hard to see written across both books, in red on the top illustration and in white on the bottom cover:

American Edition:  Here is the URL for this one showing the title more clearly: http://www.amazon.com/Wait-Me-Memoirs-Deborah-Mitford/dp/B00969INPU/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1373498258&sr=8-6&keywords=Duchess+of+Devonshire

And here's the  British Edition:

Sure looks like the same book to me? Yes the covers and wording are different which is true of a lot of books when they come here from the UK, but I am thinking they are  the same.  

There's also  an American paperback showing her much younger in sort of washed added color tones with what appears to be a black dog.   But mine has the chicken. :)

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2013, 11:58:44 PM »
I watched the first episode of Endeavour. As you've all said, the evidence was pretty slim and the motives were kind of odd. But I'm disposed to like the young Morse and hope to learn more about him in the next episodes.

MaryPage

« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2013, 05:26:05 PM »
I'm sorry Ginny, I was mistaken.  I have much older copies of these books, and was totally unaware that they have all been reissued with new and different covers.  My Wait For Me has the younger Deborah in the ball gown.  I was thinking about Count My Chickens and Home To Roost.  But when I check on the covers, on line,  those have changed TOO!  It does not look, however, to be a British/American thing, but new issues having been given different covers.
Beats me!
But I apologize for being so adamant.  I was thinking strictly of the books I own.

https://www.google.com/search?source=ig&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS283&q=books+by+Deborah+Devonshire&oq=&gs_l=

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2013, 08:03:17 AM »
Not a problem, it IS confusing. You know more about her than I ever will. :)

I think of Agatha Christie as a prime example of changes of titles and covers. Before I knew about that I thought I had found an Agatha Christie I had never read,  and got all excited. hahahaa

When Wait for Me  came out in the UK in  2010, the Guardian ran a nice piece on it.  this page being even  more remarkable for the absolutely hatchet job of the review of a  new book,  Horace and Me,  on the side bar.  My GOSH what a book review. Just NASTY. Of course I  haven't read the book, it may be, too. (I expect, since these sidebars are replaced daily, that it may be gone now but I do think it was the nastiest review I have ever read).

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/sep/12/mitford-debo-deborah-devonshire-nancy-decca

Frybabe

« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2013, 07:06:16 AM »
I think last night's Endeavor was much better than the first. It felt more like the old Morse. However, I did guess the murderer fairly early on.

Missed most of Chatsworth (forgot). Will have to watch it later. Next week is Highclere.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2013, 09:44:05 AM »
Looks like it would be a treat to go back to Chatsworth - I visited in either 1978 or '79 just before they paid off the enormous tax and had not started on the restoration. I remember an upstairs family dining room that was more somber and do not remember the glory of the downstairs dining room - the hall with all the statues is what made an impression and the collections behind glass shelves in one of the large halls of the variety of family china from various era's. Seems to me there was a large orangery. I did not know the history of the gardens and that was interesting to learn - I could go back and spend a couple of days in the gardens alone.

During that trip in the late 70s I remember visiting Hatfield House. Smaller and not near as grand but filled with Tudor Needlework which at the time was my passion.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2013, 02:41:56 PM »
Endeavor, it is o.k  but I keep wanting the old Morse to show.  I can' t stand 2 people in this one.  First that little man in his full uniform.  Chief I believe and then that smart mouth Sargent, always with a cig. In his mouth.  I think Morse should stick up to him or sock him one or the other.  The Sargent in the original morse was Lewis I believe or may be he came after Morse got his promotion .

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2013, 12:06:21 AM »
Jeanne, I miss the "old" Morse too but I'm warming up to the younger one.

I don't think we're suppposed to like actor Anton Lesser as Chief Superintendent Reginald Bright (the little man in the full uniform). I think he is doing a good job in his part.  ;)

I too figured out who did it but wasn't sure who was going to be "done in."

salan

« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2013, 05:00:46 AM »
I miss the old Morse, also.  I can't seem to warm up to the young Morse.  Maybe he'll grow on me.  So far this series seems a little convoluted and confusing; but still worth watching.
Sally

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2013, 09:12:45 AM »
I'm enjoying  Endeavor and like young Morse in all his intensity.  My husband guessed the murderer but I thought for a while it was the pianist.  The Chief Inspector is showing a fondness for Morse and respect for his intelligence and talent.  This series has already been shown in Great Britain and I read it was so well liked they are going to film four more.  Is that right, Marcie?  You seem to keep up with these things.

MaryPage

« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2013, 01:31:23 PM »
I like this young Morse a lot.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2013, 09:14:30 PM »
FlaJean,
There is an article at http://viciousimagery.blogspot.com/2013/05/second-series-of-endeavour-is-surely-be.html that says that a second series of 4 more stories has been commissioned. It's a nice article about the series and emphasizes the great production value --photography, scenery and attention to period detail -- that marks this series and the Inspector Morse and Lewis that preceded it.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2013, 10:21:27 PM »
I forgot to mention that I thought that having Endeavour be called to lead the investigation because of his expert knowledge of opera was a nice touch.

I found some photos of a young John Thaw to see how the actor who plays Endeavour compares with him. I think there are similarities. See http://johnthaw.topcities.com/visitors15.html

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2013, 10:29:09 AM »
Thanks, Marcie, for that information.  I tried to get the old Inspector Morse series on Netflix but they only have DVDs and I only use the streaming Netflix.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2013, 03:57:42 PM »
I agree that the second one was much better than the first. And I loved the music connection.

MaryPage

« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2013, 12:58:02 PM »
Our Maryland Public Television, otherwise known as MPT, has taken to running a George Gently and a DCI Banks murder mystery every Saturday night.  LOVE them!  Both British, and both from series of books.  I own every DCI Banks book ever written.  I love the actors who play the parts.  Gently's face, in particular, is fascinating;  but Banks has a most interesting look, as well.  He grows on you.