Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece Mystery 2013 & Other PBS Programs  (Read 82694 times)

nlhome

Re: PBS Masterpiece Mystery 2013 & Other PBS Programs
« Reply #360 on: November 29, 2013, 09:28:14 PM »

Masterpiece Mystery 2013 presents the best British mysteries. See the complete 2013 MASTERPIECE schedule

Post a message about your favorite Masterpiece and PBS programs during November in the discussion below and you could win a copy of the new book "Making Masterpiece: 25 years Behind the Scenes at Masterpiece Theatre and Mystery! on PBS" by Rebecca Eaton. (You must reside in the contiguous U.S. to be eligible to receive the book.) Read our review of the book and information about the book giveaway made possible by Masterpiece PBS.   
NOW DISCUSSING
Let's talk about any PBS program of interest to us.

Encore episodes of Downton Abbey, Seasons 1-3, have been showing on many PBS stations and will continue in December. Season 4 of Downton Abbey will begin on January 5, 2014. Sherlock, Season 3, will premiere on Sunday, January 19, following the 9pm broadcast of Downton Abbey. Benedict Cumberbatch (The Fifth Estate, Star Trek Into Darkness) and Martin Freeman (The Hobbit, The Office UK) will return as Sherlock Holmes and John Watson in three new 90-minute episodes of the contemporary reinvention of the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle classic, created by Steven Moffat (Doctor Who) and Mark Gatiss. Watch episodes on TV or online after they air.

See our last year's PBS Masterpiece Classic 2012-2013 discussion for information about the Downton Abbey episodes.

ALREADY DISCUSSED

The Paradise, Season 1
October 6 - November 17

Based on Émile Zola’s beloved classic novel, Au Bonheur des Dames, The Paradise revolves around the lives of the people who live and work in Britain's glamorous first department store, The Paradise. Each is bound in his or her own way by the power of the world they live in, and the pasts that follow them there. A love story, mystery, and social comedy all in one, the lavish costume drama stars Joanna Vanderham (What Maisie Knew) as Denise and Emun Elliot (Game of Thrones) as Moray, alongside Sarah Lancashire (Upstairs Downstairs), Elaine Cassidy (A Room with a View) and Patrick Malahide (Game of Thrones).

Foyle's War, Season VII
September 15 -29, three 90 minute episodes

Detective Chief Superintendent Christopher Foyle is again in pursuit of criminals who are taking advantage of the confusion created by World War II.

Silk
August 25 - September 8, three 120 minute episodes

Two rival barristers, one an idealistic defense lawyer and the other a ruthless prosecutor, compete for the prestigious appointment as Queen's Counsel in three episodes of high-stakes cases in criminal law.

The Lady Vanishes
August 18 - 90 minutes

A young socialite suspects foul play when a young woman inexplicably disappears from a train, in a stylish and suspenseful new adaptation of the classic thriller The Lady Vanishes, based on the 1936 novel, The Wheel Spins, by Ethel Lina White.

Three episodes of ENDEAVOUR reveal the rocky start of Inspector Morse's career in the police force.

In the all-new 2013 season, Lewis and Hathaway tackle three cases in the seemingly perfect academic haven of Oxford: Down Among the Fearful (June 16), The Ramblin' Boy (June 23), and Intelligent Design (June 30). Guest stars include Peter Davison (Doctor Who) and Edward Fox (Ghandi, Foyle's War).

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP and marcie

I have enjoyed Scott and Bailey, but I've only seen about 5 episodes.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #361 on: November 30, 2013, 07:56:41 PM »
My friend in UK mentioned today that the Second Series of "Tango in Halifax" just started there. Really good.  Told them not to tell me what is happening. Will most probably not start here until next Spring.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #362 on: December 01, 2013, 03:17:08 PM »
I do not think I have seen any of Scott and Bailey - I Thought it was interesting last night to hear form one of the actors in Doc Martin that they are NOT in the habit of following year after year with a popular TV series in England - that they let it sit for a year and then decide and have a new crop of situations to write about - maybe it is why we see so many reruns of popular programs - we are used to each year a new set of stories.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

MaryPage

« Reply #363 on: December 02, 2013, 10:33:34 AM »
I watched the Susan Saranden reprise of Downton Abbey thus far, plus tidbits about Season 4, last night on PBS.  Looks as though it is going to continue to be excellent.  I most particularly look forward to the fashions of the nineteen twenties.  And I notice they are all calling the baby girl Sibby.  The heir is George, who is apparently being raised totally by a nanny.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #364 on: December 03, 2013, 11:02:05 AM »
I couldn't stand it one more minute and bought an early  Christmas present from Acorn, at $29.00  the Season 6 of Doc Martin, in which, we are told, there is a disastrous honeymoon and Martin's "ghastly" mother (Claire Bloom) returns. Who could resist that? hahahaha And she was ghastly and so was his father.

But I won't spill any beans. :)

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #365 on: December 03, 2013, 01:54:08 PM »
Ginny.  I may have to buy the Season 6 also.  Doubt it shows here until next summer. Did you have to pay shipping on it?  My library are very good at getting the DVD early so will check them out first.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #366 on: December 03, 2013, 02:55:24 PM »
Jeanne, yes I did pay shipping from Acorn. I woudn't have had to from Amazon, now that you mention it and it probably would have been cheaper, too. Not sure why I didn't think of that, but hey! The flu is the flu. (That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it) hahahaha

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #367 on: December 03, 2013, 06:53:25 PM »
ginny.  Also on Acom it looks like one has to fill out a member ship and give a Credit Card number just to check thing on it.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #368 on: December 03, 2013, 06:59:23 PM »
Ginny.  Season 6 on Amazon is $20.99 and free shipping over $35 .  May see how much will cost for the Season 1 to 5.. Or if something else I need to make up the $35.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #369 on: December 03, 2013, 09:44:56 PM »
Ha, well I could have saved 9 bucks then (drat),  because I have Amazon Prime and shipping is free, so that's a lesson: always go to Amazon first. I think they are going to take over the world anyway and I wish I had some of their stock, it went  up 54 percent  in...was it last year...or something like that. But I will enjoy Doc Martin anyway, when it comes; Amazon says it doesn't become available till December 10. Just in time for Christmas. :)

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #370 on: December 03, 2013, 10:19:39 PM »
Yes, Amazon appears to be the next monopoly of all retail but frankly with their service and policies that are customer based I will be delighted - I can still see room for the smaller boutiques and those department stores that entice with decor and the availability of trying things on so that shopping becomes a pleasurable experience again however, it could be an end to the big box stores - the junk they offer to keep prices low folks are going to get wise and see quality at low prices that
Amazon offers.  Plus I like Jeff what ever his name is - the owner - dynamic and I think his laugh is infectious.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #371 on: December 04, 2013, 07:37:22 PM »
I had only use Amazon one time long ago.  However I have used them 3 times last few weeks. Very impressed with their service.  I even bought 4 books and 3 of them shipped to me from Uk and I got them within 8 days.  Saved a lot yesterday on there finding the Face cream I use along with special hair products that I thought Walmarts price could no be beat.  But it was.  I usually try Walmart first because I like the Pick up at Store policy and Store is just down the street from me.  No shipping cost.  But Amazon was free shipping other than the books and they were only $3.99 each for shipping.  Books said used but were like Brand new.  2 only cost 60 cents. . They have me a customer now.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #372 on: December 06, 2013, 06:49:11 PM »
HO, I've got it, I've got it, I've got it, in the mail today Season 6 of Doc Martin  (so much for not being available till December 10) and this calls for a fire and a nice long session in front of the TV. :)

The cover says "Sweet, stirring, and completely addictive." They are right about that. :)

I'm not going to spill the first bean. It looks, however, by viewing the cover photos on the back that the guy who played in The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel is going to appear in Season 6,  anyway, he played Norman in the Marigold Hotel, his real  name is Ronald Pickup.  He did a great job in Marigold Hotel.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #373 on: December 06, 2013, 11:14:30 PM »
Ginny, I'm jealous!!! That's great news. What a nice Christmas present to yourself.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #374 on: December 07, 2013, 01:16:10 PM »
They are filming a new " marigold Hotel" movie. Can't wait for it to come out.  Glad that Judi Dench will be able tone in it.  Can't read but still has a great memory.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #375 on: December 12, 2013, 07:09:13 AM »
Downton Abbey cast TONIGHT LIVE on Youtube~!!

Catch up with cast members and producers from Downton Abbey in a LIVE Q&A panel discussion from New York City on Thursday, Dec. 12, 2014, 8:30PM ET! See all the action unfold LIVE and get a taste for what's ahead in Season 4 as you watch this special, online streaming event on YouTube.  [Online video viewable in the US only]

PS: The Doc Martin new Series 6 is out of this world, the first episode is to die for.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #376 on: December 12, 2013, 11:14:45 AM »
Thanks for that info, Ginny!

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #377 on: December 12, 2013, 07:09:29 PM »
Ginny.  You are a tease.  I just don't want to break down and buy Doc Martin 6.  I may buy they whole set once they get all through. Same with Downton Abbey.  I bought the first 2.

How do you get the the LIve on You Tube on either the IPad or desktop. What do I type in?

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #378 on: December 12, 2013, 09:11:00 PM »
Jeanne, sorry, I did not see your post. If you missed it, you can still catch it here:

Desperate for Downton

http://www.gpb.org/blogs/desperate-for-downton/2013/12/12/watch-live-downton-abbey-cast-youtube-interview-at-8-p-m

Once you get to this page scroll down and you'll see a big red arrow over a picture of Downton Abbey and you can watch it then.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #379 on: December 15, 2013, 04:30:26 PM »
Ginny. I brought that site up last night. Interesting.  I could not reconize a couple of the people. Edith did not even look like here.  And I really liked Thomas even though I don't like him in the show.  Could tell the one who is the Cook also the housekeeper. Both are much younger in person.
The whole series takes over PBS here tonight from 6pm to 11pm.  Still trying to get people to give money to the station. 

marcie

• Administrator

MaryPage

« Reply #381 on: December 27, 2013, 10:09:52 AM »
I just pre-ordered Masterpiece Classic:  Downton Abbey Season 4 from Barnes and Noble.  Spent some of my dozen or so gift cards from there.  It will be shipped to me on January 28.

I also watched 20/20 last night.  They did a 2-hour special about castles in Great Britain and what it is like to live in them today.  Highclere was included, and a lot about Downton Abbey.  They said there is definitely a Season 5 all signed up and to begin filming in February.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #382 on: December 27, 2013, 11:39:47 AM »
MaryPage, the 20/20 you watched sounds like a great segment. It's good to know that Season 5 of Downton is lined up already.

Lucky you to have so many gift cards!!

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #383 on: December 27, 2013, 12:30:31 PM »
Marcie, I got that notice from PBS.  It is fun!  I love the wink at the end.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #384 on: December 27, 2013, 08:39:14 PM »
Jean, I like the wink also. It will be interesting to find out how Sherlock is still alive after the cliffhanger last season.

MaryPage

« Reply #385 on: December 30, 2013, 10:24:54 AM »
I had to come to work yesterday, Sunday, so as to be able to go home Tuesday, so I worked quite late and missed the Christmas special of Midwives, but got upstairs to my bedroom television in time for the last five minutes.  The nun married the doctor!  Beautiful wedding and many happy smiles all around, all around!
And an announcement to expect the third season of this wonderful show in the spring!
Ah, Spring!

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #386 on: December 30, 2013, 02:12:19 PM »
I think that in season 4 and then 5 of Downton Abbey. We are going to find that Branson will become as big a favourite as Mathew was.  Don't think will be a romance for him and Mary. This flighty young cousin ....could be her.

salan

« Reply #387 on: December 30, 2013, 05:15:53 PM »
Watched the Midwives Christmas special.  I am so glad that we are going to have a new special season.
Sally

MaryPage

« Reply #388 on: December 31, 2013, 09:17:09 AM »
Lucky you, Sally!

I wanted so much to see it.  Am hoping for some repeats this week.  Maybe I'll get lucky, too!

MaryPage

« Reply #389 on: December 31, 2013, 08:07:54 PM »
HAPPY NEW YEAR AND WISHING YOU ALL OF THE BEST IN 2014.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #390 on: December 31, 2013, 08:34:05 PM »
Thanks, MaryPage.

Happy new year, everyone!!

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #391 on: January 01, 2014, 01:27:37 AM »
Let's continue our discussion of PBS programs in our new PBS Masterpiece 2014 discussion (which includes Downton Abbey and Sherlock) at http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=4103.0