Author Topic: Book of the Funny Smells - and Everything, The by Eleanor Abbott ~ Opens JUNE 1  (Read 10937 times)

BooksAdmin

• TopicManager
The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome.

Short Stories - Some SeniorLearn Favorites - JUNE 1 til mid JULY

It is said that a good short story should include: * a strong theme, * a fascinating plot, * a fitting structure, * unforgettable characters, * a well-chosen setting, * an appealing style.  Let's consider these elements as we discuss the following stories.  Is it necessary to include them all in a successful story?

Notice that the titles are all links to the stories.

Discussion Schedule:
June 1 -June 9
*The Book of The Funny Smells--and Everything (1872) by Eleanor H Abbott  
*The Necklace or The Diamond Necklace (1880) -  by Guy de Maupassant
 * Butterball(Boule de Suif) 1884 - by  Guy de Maupassant (if time allows)
*A Pair of Silk Stockings (1896)b] by Kate Chopin  

1.   Given the etiquette of the day for a respectable women traveling, and how properly cared for children were expected to act toward adults, what must the Beautiful Lady have thought?

2.  What imagery does the author use to let us know the children are not wealthy?  Do you think they are from a poor or a middle class family?

3.  After the first few encounters, do you think the social class of the children helps to move the story along – explain? In what way does it benefit the story that Carol is mute?

4.  What beautiful smell would you like to be?

5. Have you ever been in a smithy? What impression do you have of Jason and what does the author make you feel about him? What did you think of the children saying Jason was "beautiful?"  Do you know the song “Sweet and Lo”?

6.  What beautiful sound in the whole wide world would you like to be?

7.  Do you know what the 39 articles are?  

8.  If you were a Beautiful Sight--that people came miles to see,--what Beautiful Sight in the whole wide world would you choose to be?"

9.  Can you see in the mother ways that she is the strength of a storm at sea?

10.  If you received a birthday gift of five dollars--how would you spend it?--What would you buy that would be the most fun?--_Things?_ Or _Times?_--Would you "spend it for Rabbits"? "Or going to a Fair?" ($5 in 1921 is worth $63.45 today)

11.  What would you like your friend to buy that is or makes a color that will prompt your friend to remember you?

12.  Is there more than one theme in this story? What are the two approaches to life that is the conflict in the story?

13.   Did the author humanize the Doctor enough so that the reader accepts his exchange of Carol’s book for the two gold coins? What was the value of a gold coin in 1921?

14.  The author tells us “When you read a book, of course, you expect to be surprised”.  Were you surprised?

DL Contact: BarbStAubrey

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
Good Morning - Summer is officially around the corner and this is the first of our series of short stories. Welcome and enjoy the reads.

All the stories we are reading are linked in the headings. We start off with a story written less than a decade after the Civil War. All three short stories for this week were written before 1900.

The plan is to read and discuss one story at a time. The questions in the heading are there to guide the discussion and help us find the themes and conflicts within each story. When our menu for the week is complete, we may have time to compare one story to another given that they are written by authors from and set in different nations.

As always, we must remind ourselves - there are no right or wrong answers. As many authors who have joined us over the years explain, they are aware the story becomes ours as we read it, seeing the plot unfold and relate to the characters within our own life experiences. However, for our first story if we use our twentieth or twenty- first century life experiences and social mores we miss the intent of the writer.  So imagine a time when Civil War Vets are still wearing pieces of their uniform because the economic and social structure is still affected by a most horrific war and everyone is trying to renew their life.

Can't wait to read your posts about this delightful story - so please, pull up your chair and join in if only with a sentence or two and for those who have lots to say let's hear it - our smiles are streaming out to you as we all wait in anticipation for your remarks about this story representing three generations in America in 1872.

Come to think on it, the questions above does not include if you know any man or boy today whose name is Carol?
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Good morning!

I'm going to go back and reread this story again...I love the narrator, the whole idea of a child putting together a book.  I remember I used to do this kind of thing myself.  Did a bit of research and found that Eleanor Abbott wrote many short stories - as a child.  I was curious how old she was when she wrote this one...and just made a rather startling discovery.  She was born in 1872.  So that means the story was written after that.  It was published in the Ladies' Home Journal in 1921...  For some reason, I thought she was 11 years old when she wrote the story.  But it sounds as if she was older...especially the last part of the story.  Maybe she started it when younger and completed it later?

Another thing - she refers to her brother,  CAROL in other stories.  The name was more common at this time. It was really her brother's name, which gives the story even more credibility.  

I've known a few (a very few) men/boys, named "Carroll" - and found this about the name Carol...
Carol, as well as alternate spellings such as Carrol and Carroll, was somewhat more common as a male name in the early 20th century than today. It actually has the same meaning as the names Charles, Carl and Charlie - "free man".

Back later...

PatH

• BooksDL
The only male Carol I know of is the film director, Carol Reed.  He did The Third Man, The Fallen Idol, and lots of other good movies.

I've got lots of comments, but have to go out for a few hours.  See you later.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
Oh my JoanP born in 1872 so the story was written later - it had the feel of something written later - now to put the whole thing in a different context - if it was published in 1921 I wonder when it was written - 1921 would be after WWI - I was struck by the father appearing to be a gardener but not otherwise employed - it did not sound like they had a tulip farm and so I was trying to find a reason for his work being limited to a small area of tulips.

Written later also puts a different slant on the Children being so forthright when addressing their first contributor, the Lady on the street and we can see a different reaction on her part, rather than simply the Victorian reaction that children alone must be part of the poor and therefore, they needed to be either in care or dismissed. Now that we know the story is later it fits that the children would be out walking alone and easily addressing passerby's on the street without appearing like rag-a-muffins or out of order. I am now thinking her reaction was from her European sensibility which is more formal then America's.

PatH - found this -- "Though the name Carol was originally a masculine name derived from the Latin "Carolus," today it is primarily regarded as a feminine name, including the short form of "Caroline." Carol is also used to refer to the English word meaning "song" or "hymn." - the Carol I think of is spelled a bit differently Caroll O'Connor and I believe the Governor of SC only a few years ago was also a Carroll - I wonder if by adding the additional "l" is how they now distinguish between a male and female version of the name.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
Made a couple of changes to our list of questions now that JoanP learned and shared with us that the story was written later and the author was born in the year we thought was the year the story was written - using the 1921 date when it was published in the Ladies Home Journal  - used to get that magazine every month - looked forward to it when I went grocery shopping.

salan

My husband had a first cousin; born in 1932 whose name was Carroll.  I remember thinking that it was a strange name for a man.
Sally

PatH

• BooksDL
The story may have appeared in 1921, but when you look at it, there isn't much to date it by.  I wonder if it is supposed to take place earlier?

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
PatH I wonder if there not being anything to date it by has to do with this being bits and pieces of her childhood memories when life was different. Huge difference that started around 1890 and 1900 with the onslaught of jobs for women who were leaving the farms in droves. And so this being in the Ladies Home Journal I wonder if it was a nostalgic piece to a simpler time although most family Moms were still very much at home during these years.

I am caught up in the idea of being a smell - I am still caught between Johnson and Johnson Baby Powder or Christmas Cookies baking or window screens during a summer rain.  

PatH

• BooksDL
You'll laugh when you learn what smell I decided on.  The instant I saw your question, I thought "turmeric".  Why turmeric?  I have no idea, but thinking it over, I stick with my first thought.  If you have really fresh turmeric, it has a wonderful earthy, spicy smell, that I love.

Barb, I bet you're right about the story being a nostalgia piece, probably with time deliberately fuzzy.  All we can be sure of is that it probably didn't take place during WWI, since travel from Austria to the US would have been difficult.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
Yes, good thought and it would have had to be before WWI since the published date was only 5 years later and Austria was not in the money with the Austro-German Empire in tatters reeling with inflation so that it became a cartoon in newspapers how the price of an egg could go in a day bit by bit from a 10 cents to a dollar and those waiting all day in line had to leave just as they were to be served because they no longer had enough money.

Ella Gibbons

What an adorable story!  Read a few paragraphs, will finish it tomorrow, but must comment briefly.  A smell.  So many.  Nasturtiums, lilacs.  Green grapes, yes, they have a smell.

The earth!   I miss digging in it, planting. We always had a compost pile which we turned often and it got hot and we refreshed our dirt with it and it flourished for us.

Yes, indeed, I know Sweet and Low - the song.   But when did I know it?  It's all a mystery, sometime in my youth.  My sisters and I attempted to harmonize when we were young and I think that was one of the songs?   Anyway, the words and the tune came back to me.

PATH - tumeric?  I have no idea!  BARBARA - yes, Johnson's baby powder.  Babies!  Oh, the sweet smell of babies, there aren't words!

I'm sure most of you remember Carroll O'Connor - Archie Bunker?   Who could forget that program.  We gasped now and then are the daring of it.

salan

I would be the smell of bread baking, or springtime rain on freshly mown grass, or cinnamon & oranges, or...........
Sally

Ella Gibbons

Things or Times?  Which would you rather have?   TIMES, MEMORIES!  You could never buy them. 

Finished reading the story.   I'll have to think about a few of those questions, Barbara.  Have things to catch  up on today, but love the story.

Strange that the Mother would want to be a storm in the sea.  Most mothers are that without wishing so.  Love, of course, is the answer.

SALLY, yes, bread baking.  I love that smell.  I was never good at it but I remember my grandmother baking it, letting it rise on the dining room register (the old fashioned upright - coal furnice) which had a cover on it.  Salt rising bread.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
Ah Ella yes, that is a good one from Sally isn't it, the aroma of rising and baking bread but Cinnamon and oranges ahhhhh

And memories - comes down to it that is what we are aren't we - a package of memories and possibilities to create and experience more memories - I must confess though when my budget is tight, especially when traveling rather than tons of photos I had the experience that went into my memory bank and spent my extra on usually a book and any specialty from the area, like local tea or sauce or jam. Things always extended the memory for me.  

This is a wonderful heartwarming story isn't it however, when you think on it there is a conflict between what Carol is writing in the back of the book compared to the importance the Doctor sees in the written accounts in the front of the book - seems like we are still caught in the value of art and the senses versus science and our biology - is examining the blood pumping to our heart more important than knowing the heartfelt nature of our heart and the world around us - what do you think? Today, in schools there is an emphasis on Science to the detriment of and removal of classes in the Arts.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
They do say that the smell of bacon frying in the morning is the one that most people like.  
Now the one I hated most was the smell in hairdressers when they were giving a perm.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
I was going to mention the smell of lilies of the valley. My grandmother always brought them to be on my birthday.  Carried them on the bus in a little nosegay...with violets.  My grandmother was important to me, as my mother died when I was very young.  But I agree with so many of you...waking up to the first stirrings of little ones in the morning.  Bacon frying, bread baking.  All of these smells bring back memories.  The sleeping little ones  have grown and gone, we don't bake bread anymore - or fry bacon that much for that matter, do we?  
But  these memories  add up to "nostalgia" for the past when life was simpler.   - As  Eleanor Abbott so aptly put it - "they make you feel lonely in the throat."

I'm trying to stay in the story and stop thinking about the author who penned it.  But I keep wondering  how old she was when she wrote the story.  She seems to see things with the eyes of a young girl...but is so much in command of what she is writing.  

I must share this..

In 1908 Abbott married Dr. Fordyce Coburn and relocated with him to Wilton, New Hampshire.[4] Soon after moving, several widely read magazines accepted her work for publication. Two of her poems were accepted by Harper’s Monthly Magazine in 1909. She went on to publish seventy-five short stories and fourteen romantic novels. Being Little in Cambridge When Everyone Else Was Big is an autobiography written by Abbott about her childhood in Cambridg
 Abbott had no children. She died in 1958 in Portsmouth, New Hampshire.

Is it important to the story that Carol is dumb?

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
Jeanne you also are adding to the list of cooking smells - JoanP Lily of the Valley - how sweet and precious with violets - we seldom have these sweet gifts of love shared any longer - I bet the flowers were from her garden - the violets maybe from a nearby wooded area - what a lovely memory - one of our houses had a large side yard on a small hillside with two gigantic pine trees - under and around the pines the ground was covered tightly with lily of the Valley and it was also a popular perfume line that was my grandmother's favorite .

JoanP thanks for your research on the author - had not heard of her before reading this short story - This is such a delight I want to look and find another of her books - I would love to find one of her novels. Wonder if Amazon has anything -

I too am curious why Carol was dumb? Cannot figure out how that factor is important to the story I would love to hear what others make of it.

PatH

• BooksDL
I too am curious why Carol was dumb? Cannot figure out how that factor is important to the story I would love to hear what others make of it.
I don't know what to make of it either.  It's interesting that he can hear all right, so that's not the cause of his lack of speech.

It's a nice device, using the children with their wide-eyed innocence and their little book to get the adults to reveal things about themselves they would normally hide.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
I wonder - just batting around ideas - the entire Greek story does not fit but there is the one aspect of Oedipus, who was blind not dumb however, he represents the flawed nature of humanity and "an individual's powerlessness against the course of destiny in a harsh universe." Which could be Carol powerless against the course of destiny as the Doctor who sees greater value in the front of the account book that is a source of Science, Biology and Mathematical information. Carol is powerless to keep the book that the Doctor tucks under his arm replacing it with the two gold coins. Gold trumps the artistic and gentleness of spirit searched out by Carol and scribed in the back of the book. It is only because of Carol's interview that we learn of the poetic and musical nature of the blacksmith.

PatH

• BooksDL
Time flies when you're having fun.  I'd better hurry up and say some more of the things I've thought of.

I have a slightly different take on the Doctor's reaction to the book.  He says it's of scientific interest.  But look at him.  He sees how his patients are eating, and understands their medical problems better.  He will be better able to help them, now he knows they are starving, or eating poorly, or whatever.  And the most important thing to him is what the woman he used to love wrote.  (We assume that the romance will rekindle, after all these years.)  He hides this by saying "in the cause of science", but the mother sees through this, and smiles as she hands him the book.

JudeS

My favorite smell would be the smell of Lavender-whether it be fresh lavender or my English Mother's scent of Yardley's Lavender perfume and little sticks of perfume which are rubbed on the wrist.
These small bottles have a distinctive design which, to my amazement, was first designed and sold by Selfridges Department store. I saw this on the PBS special about Selfridges and my heart quickened since it brought back so many memories of my mother and her love of that scent in all its forms.

My favorite sound is Bach's Suites which I listen to over and over.

And I of course would spend my five dollars on times since that gives you never ending pleasure in your mind. (That is, if I
wasn't starving and forced to spend the money on food.)

The story is extremely charming .I had never heard of the author before now. Will search around for other stories  and novels.

PatH

• BooksDL
As the resident Anglican, I'd better answer the question about the 39 Articles.

The 39 Articles of Religion were written in Queen Elizabeth I's reign, to codify the beliefs of the Anglican Church.  Indeed, they were the source of many disputes.  Belief in them is no longer mandatory, though they form the basis of many churches.  Here's a brief history:

http://www.britainexpress.com/History/tudor/39articles.htm

And here's the text, from a link in the above:

http://www.britainexpress.com/History/tudor/39articles-text.htm

PatH

• BooksDL
My favorite sound is Bach's Suites which I listen to over and over.
I'm with you there, Judy.  It's impossible to get tired of Bach.  I debated whether to be the sound of Bach or my favorite string quartet (Beethoven's Op 131) but I think Bach; the only question is which one.

nlhome

So many lovely smells listed. I think the elusive scent of lilacs in the spring, full of memories.

I think Carol contributes to a more thoughtful atmosphere by not speaking.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
OH yes Jude, Lavender is a glory scent and Yardley's Lavender perfume - I wonder how long Yardley has been making that scent - seldom see it in Department stores any longer but I do get a catalog from a place in New England that has whole pages of Yardley Lavender and Rose scented products.

Bach yes, and Beethoven and my blood moves hearing Dvorak but if I had to be a sound I really would prefer to be the trees rustling when a wind picks up on a summer night or just before the rains that come after the long hot summer. Everyone smiles watching the trees as they take a walk or sit on their patio or just open the front door to hear and just before Autumn the sounds of trees quivering telling us the rain is coming that will break the high 90 and 100 degree temps. Everyone hurries home to open windows and Crepe Myrtle flowers fly over the lawn. Yes, the sound of the summer wind - does that say I want to be Notos - hmm it is not the wind itself it is the sounds of trees whooshing, signs squeaking, flags flapping and I want to be the sound of trees whooshing, rustling even tinkling.

Yes nlhome, Carol being mute does contribute to his being more thoughtful doesn't it. Another good reaction to Carol.

Thanks PatH for explaining the 39 articles - I looked it up and was still confused - something about Queen Elizabeth reverting the 42 articles back to the older 39. So thanks for the links, especially the one that lists the 39 articles.

Thanks for pointing out how, when the Doctor reads the words that prick his memory it does show the Doctor has a heart - I just saw him taking the book which was given to Carol and then compensating Carol's future with gold coins making Carol's work a thing of commerce that assists what the Doctor needs to do better his job, that yes, comes from a sincere desire to help others. However, his need topped Carol's work of a different kind - I just think many believe their work is more important and rather than ask will assume ownership if what they think will assist them is owned by a child. That is where I saw the conflict in the story and the story seems to lead to that climax.

Hmm since the book held both Carol's investigations of the 5 senses and his writing, the artistic, as well as, the Butcher's accounts that the Doctor hopes to deduce the villagers illnesses the book itself does represent Science (Biology) coupled with Math and Art. Was the Doctor buying the combination you bring to our attention PatH? I still think the taking of Carol's work to satisfy what is important to the Doctor and then exchanging the book for the gold coins is a key to the story. Do you have another thought that I am not seeing - what do y'all think is the conflict that when satisfied is the climax of the story?

JoanK

• BooksDL
I wasn't going to come in, but i'm so glad I did. what a wonderful story.

" She seems to see things with the eyes of a young girl..."

She both sees things with the eyes of a young girl, AND of an older experienced woman. I think the mother here is the author, rediscovering her girlhood freshness and sense of possibility through her daughter.

I'm not sure why carol is mute. Except that it teaches us that all this talk that we surround ourselves with constantly is not necessary. We can experience and understand the world without it (perhaps better without it, since we can be quiet and listen).

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Don't know why a train whistle in the distance was the first thing that popped into my head when thinking of the sound I'd like to be, while you are thinking of Bach & Beethoven.  What does that say about me?  My pulse has always quickened at the train whistle.  Escape?

I'm reminded of the gentle mother's desire to be a raging storm at sea.  I'm  wondering what this story reveals about women's position in the home and in society at this time. The little girl was doing all the work, the interviewing for the book.  The reason given for this - Carol was mute...the book was Carol's, not little Ruthie's!  The gold coins from the doc went  to fund Carol's education, not hers.

I  think the mother here is the author, rediscovering her girlhood freshness and sense of possibility through her daughter.
Now there's a thought, JoanK!

And do you see a parallel between the mother, the happy, though not well-off  mother, who married for love...and the quite wealthy Ann Dun Voorlees, who never forgot her childhood crush?

When little Annie Vorlees returned to claim her family's land, she was accompanied by her husband's brother.  At first it seemed to the doctor that  the pair was going to develop the land into an odiferous industry, and a shanty town for the workers.

But then came the twist, the surprise at the end.  Little Annie had a mind of her own - and the $ to spend as she wished.  

PatH

• BooksDL
I'm reminded of the gentle mother's desire to be a raging storm at sea.  I'm  wondering what this story reveals about women's position in the home and in society at this time.  
This bit says a lot about the mother.  She has totally devoted herself to her family, and this satisfies her strong nurturing side.  But she has a wilder, adventurous side which has been stifled by this.  Her husband doesn't understand--doesn't see this side of her at all.

Scottieluvr

Hello everyone!  Sorry for my tardiness. Since the beginning of good weather, I’ve been busy mowing the lawn (1 1/2 acres), planting shrubs and trees (over 20 of them), then getting my herb garden ready for planting. As if that wasn’t enough, I decided to rearrange my computer/craft room; moving heavy furniture and cleaning out my collection of paperbacks. Yes, I have another life aside from reading books and such… A travesty truly, a terrible reality, as I prefer lounging with a good story over being physically active. *LOL*

Now on to the story, The Book of the Funny Smells - and Everything by Eleanor Abbott: a very entertaining and adorable short story too. I was instantly caught up in Ruthy and Carol’s enthusiasm about writing a book with so few questions. To me the questions would be a great art journal project.

1. Given the etiquette of the day for a respectable women traveling, and how properly cared for children were expected to act toward adults, what must the Beautiful Lady have thought? That the children were accosting her for money to feed the family. And when the children corrected that assumption she most likely assumed they were still not raised well. From my reading however I don’t think she thought ill of them or even threatened but was also caught up in what she believed a “game”…

2. What imagery does the author use to let us know the children are not wealthy?  Do you think they are from a poor or a middle class family? The children claim to have a tamed coon and cow revealed their working class status. Though the children appeared proud of their “wealth”, not realizing they lacked anything.

3. After the first few encounters, do you think the social class of the children helps to move the story along – explain? In what way does it benefit the story that Carol is mute? Not so much their social class but that they are children who embrace their surroundings; exploring, questioning and learning. This a period that indoor activities didn't dominated. Instead outdoor activities were the norm for children, so roaming the village streets common place, and getting into mischief the right-to-passage for all 1870/1921 period children. Carol being mute gives story an “Oliver” feel, and as Ruthy details Carol’s “quiet” contribution to the Book makes the read more endearing and thrilling.

4. What beautiful smell would you like to be?  The smell I would like to be is the autumn season. Hard to describe but I’ll give it try: it’s a combination of decaying leaves, shrubs and flowers with a brisk aroma of wind and nature preparing for dormancy. It’s reminiscent of what the air smells like when trick-or-treating as a child.

5. Have you ever been in a smithy? Only when visiting historical colonial places on the east coast

a. What impression do you have of Jason and what does the author make you feel about him? He’s jovial, fun loving and imagination; like the children.
b. What did you think of the children saying Jason was "beautiful?"  From my reading the children called the minister beautiful *S*…they certainly caught the old man off guard by calling him beautiful. He kept “guffawing”… *S*

c. Do you know the song “Sweet and Lo”? No, but I looked it up on YouTube and found this rendition:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1WVXG9zr8A, Sweet and Low lullaby sung by Bette Midler

6. What beautiful sound in the whole wide world would you like to be? A well tuned violin or piano playing up-beat classical music.

7. Do you know what the 39 articles are?  No, but again I looked it up. *LOL*  Nothing gets by me! *LOL* http://anglicansonline.org/basics/thirty-nine_articles.html, Articles of Religion, “As established by the Bishops, the Clergy, and the Laity of the Protestant Episcopal Church in the United States of America, in Convention, on the twelfth day of September, in the Year of our Lord, 1801.”

8. If you were a Beautiful Sight--that people came miles to see,--what Beautiful Sight in the whole wide world would you choose to be? I would be a large English garden.

9. Can you see in the mother ways that she is the strength of a storm at sea? Yes, as she’s firm, doting caring but longs for carefree, wild abandon and frolicking. Typical for this period woman who was confined to the social proprieties of the era.

10. If you received a birthday gift of five dollars -- how would you spend it? -- What would you buy that would be the most fun? -- Things? Or Times? -- Would you "spend it for Rabbits"? "Or going to a Fair?" ($5 in 1921 is worth $63.45 today). If I received $5 for my birthday I would buy “Things”; a book, or plants.

11. What would you like your friend to buy that is or makes a color that will prompt your friend to remember you? I would encourage my friend to buy either an artificial flower arrangement or a tree of their choosing. Green and nature would remind them of me.

12. Is there more than one theme in this story? What are the two approaches to life that is the conflict in the story? Youthful carefree childhood and responsible adulthood

13. Did the author humanize the Doctor enough so that the reader accepts his exchange of Carol’s book for the two gold coins? What was the value of a gold coin in 1921? I’m assuming the coins were 2 Liberty each valued at $10 between1838-1907; or an Indian Head at $10 between 1908-1933…their value today is between $600-6000.   http://www.coinstudy.com/

14. The author tells us “When you read a book, of course, you expect to be surprised”.  Were you surprised? I don’t always expect to be surprised when reading someone else’s writing however, I always expect to be entertained. More times than not, I’m never disappointed.  This story’s ending was surprising though…why couldn’t the good doctor just tear the back portion (the children’s Book) from the rest of the ledger?

Boy’s name, Carol: When doing genealogy I found this a common name in the 1800’s through the early 1900’s. But it seems to have faded out over the decades. Carroll O’Connor is the only one I think of, off the top of my head…
Scottieluvr aka Pamela

"Above all, be the heroine of your life, not the victim." - Nora Ephron

Scottieluvr

[...]And the most important thing to him is what the woman he used to love wrote.  (We assume that the romance will rekindle, after all these years.)  He hides this by saying "in the cause of science", but the mother sees through this, and smiles as she hands him the book.

The romantic that I am... I agree hardily with you on this. ;D
Scottieluvr aka Pamela

Scottieluvr

[...] And do you see a parallel between the mother, the happy, though not well-off  mother, who married for love...and the quite wealthy Ann Dun Voorlees, who never forgot her childhood crush?

When little Annie Vorlees returned to claim her family's land, she was accompanied by her husband's brother.  At first it seemed to the doctor that  the pair was going to develop the land into an odiferous industry, and a shanty town for the workers.

But then came the twist, the surprise at the end.  Little Annie had a mind of her own - and the $ to spend as she wished.  

Yes! Yes, I do see the parallels as you mentioned.  Thank you for the insight.  ;)
Scottieluvr aka Pamela

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
Oh wonderful and lovely and I love it - using the list and giving us a great list or responses - and nice, I like how you see the conflict between "Youthful carefree childhood and responsible adulthood" -

Mowing an acre and a half - wow - I hope you have a ride-around mower - and then 20 trees - whew - but in another year or so how wonderful it will look. What a joy to work in the earth.

JudeS

The good Doctor was in love with the Mother. He loved her when she put the violets in his baseball glove and loves her still though she is married to another.
Because of this love he also loved her children and took the book as a symbol of that love that he could walk away with.
The gold coins were given to the children as a love gift-perhaps for their education as he said or perhaps just a gesture from his heart that still wants to give something to the woman he has loved all these years. Through her children he can have some relationship with her.
Go back and reread the story. It is rife with hints about this love .

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Jude, what makes you think the doctor had loved the children's mother  too?  Did I miss something?We read that when he was 20 and ANN dun Vorhees was 14, her parents forbade him to come around to see her.  But when his father died, Annie had left violets in his baseball glove.  She has returned a widow.  Is there an indication that Annie had a child?
When you _read_ a book, of course, you expect to be surprised. If you didn't think the person who made the book was going to tell you something that you didn't know before you wouldn't bother to read it. But when you're _writing_ a book it doesn't seem exactly as though so many unexpected things ought to happen to you!

What exactly were the unexpected  things that happened to the young authors while writing their book?

JudeS

oops!
The Doctor wanted the book because Anna (Who was the girl who put the violets in the baseball glove) wrote in the children's book of her memory of that event.. The children had given him the gift of her handwritten thoughts and he bought it with his gold.
I made the mistake of depending on my memory of the story and didn't reread it. Going back now I caught my mistake.

The story is suffused with love throughout and the people are all good but not" kitchy" good.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Thanks, Jude.  After I read your post, I remembered that the children's mother was quite friendly with the doctor - thought I'd missed something between them.  Remember the day the doctor paid house calls?  My kids would marvel at the idea that the doctor would be called in when we were too sick to go to school.  Came right up to the bedroom.  Back in the olden days.  Do doctors still do that - anywhere in the country?

I'm with you, Pamela - another romantic who sees the rekindling of old feelings between the doctor and Ann Vorlees.  He did care for her - when she was 14 and he was 20.  You really can't blame her father for keeping them apart.  She went on to marry a wealthy man, is now a widow.  Had the doctor ever married?

Although we are starting the discussion of the next story today...  Guy de Maupassant's The Necklace...we will keep this discussion open for those just arriving. 

I love these short stories...a slice of life, a glimpse into actual individual experience of the people of the time.  Did Eleanor Abbott reveal any restrictions on women?  (I didn't sense any frustration, but wonder if you saw something I didn't see?)

ps A  reminder to come join us starting today in the next short story discussion,  Guy de Maupassant's "The Necklace" - ... HERE

Ella Gibbons

Such insights!   Wonderful to read them.   Thanks to whomever brought the story to our attention.  Loved it.

JoanK

• BooksDL
JoanP: "Did Eleanor Abbott reveal any restrictions on women?  (I didn't sense any frustration, but wonder if you saw something I didn't see?)"

When the mother says she would be a stormy sea, and her husband is completely surprised and unbelieving. We see a whole side of her that has not been given expression, and that the man who loves her doesn't recognize and wants to supress. -- she says it's only the mother part of her that's gentle. He didn't  even know that there was another part. I thought that was very well done.

JoanK

• BooksDL
We've talked about conflict between art and science (the front of the book and the back of the book). This is resolved when the doctor takes the book to use the scientific notes to help his patients and the back to find his love.

there is also the conflict between love and money (represented by the father, and the brother-in-law who wants to build factories). Is this resolved when the doctor gives money out of love for Carol's education?