Author Topic: Necklace, The ~ Guy de Maupassant  (Read 13216 times)

BooksAdmin

• TopicManager
Necklace, The ~ Guy de Maupassant
« on: June 03, 2013, 09:57:04 AM »
The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome.

Short Stories - Some SeniorLearn Favorites - JUNE / JULY

It is said that a good short story should include: * a strong theme, * a fascinating plot, * a fitting structure, * unforgettable characters, * a well-chosen setting, * an appealing style.  Let's consider these elements as we discuss the following stories.  Is it necessary to include them all in a successful story?

Notice that the titles are all links to the stories.

Discussion Schedule:
June 1 -June 9
*The Book of The Funny Smells--and Everything (1872) by Eleanor H Abbott  
*The Necklace or The Diamond Necklace (1880) -  by Guy de Maupassant
 * Butterball(Boule de Suif) 1884 - by  Guy de Maupassant (if time allows)
*A Pair of Silk Stockings (1896)b] by Kate Chopin

The Necklace by  Guy de Maupassant

For  Consideration
June 4, 5, 6  

1. De Maupassant writes: "since with women there is neither caste nor rank, for beauty charm and grace take the place of family and birth."  What does this tell about French society and the position of women at the end of the 19th century?

2.  Why does Mathilde believe she was "born to enjoy luxuries"?   Does it sound as if the author is questioning the fairness of her position?

3.   Did you find any of the characters in this story likeable?  Can you relate to Mathilde at all, either at the beginning of the story or the end?

4.  What do you think Mathilde's life would have been like after her great success at the ball, had she not lost the necklace? What were the chances her marriage would have survived?

5.  How would the story have ended without the twist, the couple learning years later, just by chance that the necklace was paste?  Is there a moral to this story?  

6. De Maupassant wrote another, longer story during this same period, a comment on woman's position - said to be his finest.  Have you had a chance to read  Boule de Suif (Butterball, Ball of Fat)  ?

7. Can anyone explain what Cornudet, "the democrat, the terror of all respectable people" was doing at the end of the story, as he sang all  the words to  "La Marseillaise?"   Was he taunting the lady?  Was this the twist at the end of the story?

8. Can you compare the positions of these  two ladies, Mathilde of "The Necklace" and   Mademoiselle  Rousset of "Boule de Suif? "  They were written at the same time - en France.  Which had your sympathy?

DL Contact: JoanP

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Re: The Necklace ~ Guy de Maupassant
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 10:19:42 AM »
Do you think anyone has  written more short storie than this Frenchman? Take a look at the list of Guy de Maupassant's short story titles!

Starting tomorrow, June 4, let's consider de Maupassant's "The Necklace" - or "The Diamond Necklace" ...and if time allows, his longer "Boule de Suif" - which translates as Ball of Fat or Little Butterball.  A rather insulting name for a woman, don't you think?  This story is considered to be his finest.

Remember, all the story titles in the discussion schedule are links to the entire stories online.  Looking forward to your comments tomorrow!

Scottieluvr

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 01:18:41 AM »
Hmmmm… my thoughts as I finish this story: Never covet someone else’s riches for they may not be so valuable.  *LOL*

1. De Maupassant writes: "since with women there is neither caste nor rank, for beauty charm and grace take the place of family and birth."  What does this tell about French society and the position of women at the end of the 19th century? Beauty and posture are important as women are visual adornments only, chattel even.

2. Why does Mathilde believe she was "born to enjoy luxuries"?   Does it sound as if the author is questioning the fairness of her position? Yes, he’s questioning the fairness of her position, after all she was naturally beautiful but without a dowry or title. Because beauty above all else was priority Mathilde felt deserving of a position much grander than the one she married into.

3. Did you find any of the characters in this story likeable?  Can you relate to Mathilde at all, either at the beginning of the story or the end? No I couldn’t say I liked or disliked the other characters, as not enough background (focus) was given. Though I can relate to Mathilde yearning for status and riches because, like most people seeking wealth it cushions life’s hardships. Even offering up a sense of security too.

4. What do you think Mathilde's life would have been like after her great success at the ball, had she not lost the necklace? What were the chances her marriage would have survived? If Mathilde had not lost the necklace I foresaw divorce and then remarriage to a wealthier provider.

5. How would the story have ended without the twist, the couple learning years later, just by chance that the necklace was paste?  Is there a moral to this story?  Coveting can mislead perceptions [be deceptive]. In this case, discovering Madame Forestier’s diamond necklace was fake, though she is of a high rank in society. Had to have shocked Mathilde to her core.

6. De Maupassant wrote another, longer story during this same period, a comment on woman's position - said to be his finest.  Have you had a chance to read Boule de Suif (Butterball, Ball of Fat)? Yes, I read this story, Boule de Suif. WOW!  What an engaging short story that clearly shows how the upper class can be cruel and intolerant, but tolerant when it serves THEIR needs. I was infuriated with its ending, as it’s another story showing how wealthy power lords over working class people. In this story I favor the underdog of course; I adore Madame Boule de Suif. In spite of the others behavior she shared her food.

a. Also I loved this phrase in the story, contrasting marriage with prostitution, “…for legitimized love always despises its easygoing brother.” Page 6 

b. As for the insulting title, I agree it is offensive. My abhorring the reference stems from being called “butterball” throughout my youth because I was never slender in build. The last time I ever saw or spoke to my paternal grandfather, his last words to me were, “You’ll always be a butterball!” I was 13 years old…

Scottieluvr aka Pamela

"Above all, be the heroine of your life, not the victim." - Nora Ephron

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 08:27:24 AM »
I saw Mathilde as a spoiled woman who dreamed of fancy things but expected someone else to provide them.  Her husband had tried to please her with the invitation, but she responded with what I interpreted as accusations that he didn't provide well enough for her.

And, to me, "butterball" is, in fact, calling a young woman "fat" but the caller thinks he/she is being "nice and/or cute."  It's neither nice nor cute to me.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 08:34:12 AM »
Good morning, Pamela!  You are the first one here this morning!  You've shared so many thoughts on this story - I'll need another cup of coffee to digest them all.

Let's start with your first observation..."Beauty and posture are important as women are visual adornments only, chattel even."  
To be honest, when I read that "women were no longer restricted by caste or  rank" at this period in France - I thought that was a good thing.  But then it was a good thing only for those with stunning beauty...  Don't you think that is the same for women today?

One thing that struck me about Mathilde - she is behaving as if she is a single maiden.  Her poor husband!  He had all my sympathy reading this story!

Jane!  We were posting at the same time!  Yes, yes, she is spoiled.  What on earth led her to believe that she deserved the things she dreamed of?  I wonder whether de Maupassant had a specific woman in mind when he wrote this story...or if this is the way he viewed women in general?

Scottieluvr

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 11:31:43 AM »
I saw Mathilde as a spoiled woman who dreamed of fancy things but expected someone else to provide them.  Her husband had tried to please her with the invitation, but she responded with what I interpreted as accusations that he didn't provide well enough for her. […]

Jane,
I agree, Mathilde did act spoiled and then married to such a compassionate man who went to great lengths to acquire invitations to the ball. She wasn’t appreciative. Then her demand for a handmade gown – I wonder if he went to the ball wearing something he would normally wear to work.  *S*
Scottieluvr aka Pamela

Scottieluvr

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 11:32:06 AM »
JoanP,

Yes!  Another cup of coffee for me too. *S*

Let's start with your first observation..."Beauty and posture are important as women are visual adornments only, chattel even." 
To be honest, when I read that "women were no longer restricted by caste or  rank" at this period in France - I thought that was a good thing.  But then it was a good thing only for those with stunning beauty...  Don't you think that is the same for women today? […]

Yes, those words on their own does appear a good thing for women however, when combined with the remaining words, "since with women there is neither caste nor rank, for beauty [,] charm and grace take the place of family and birth’ a whole new meaning manifests. To me its clear that “beauty, charm and grace” can replace the absence of noble family lines or birth. But what becomes of those women whose “beauty, charm and grace” does not measure up to society’s standard?  Men of the time possess numerous outlets when their noble lines and births are absence: military career, sciences, maths, government, etc. These venues last a life time for men however “beauty, charm and grace” only last as long as the women remain youthful, ignorant and sheltered.

Sadly, and in my humble opinion, this practice was not handed down through the centuries instead engraved in some imaginary stone somewhere for all women [and society] to measure their self-worth. And again sadly, many today feel they don’t meet within the acceptable standards, or society deems them unacceptable in fitting the ideal in other areas.

One thing that struck me about Mathilde - she is behaving as if she is a single maiden.  Her poor husband!  He had all my sympathy reading this story! ]  […] What on earth led her to believe that she deserved the things she dreamed of?

I agree, Mathilde does think and act as if she never married. As for what lead her to believe “deserved the things she dreamed of” , she believed beauty was a stepping stone to wealth and prestige. And my compassion favored the husband in this situation too. I bet he truly had no idea he married an egocentric woman.
Scottieluvr aka Pamela

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 03:33:51 PM »
I have a different take on Matilda - reading the experience of French Women I learned that they were expected till it became second nature to them that their looks/appearance is the most important aspect of being a women - even more important than nurturing their children since a wife was expected to find a wet nurse immediately so that she would quickly regain her figure.

If we look at Matilda from our twenty and twenty-first century American eyes yes, I would agree, spoiled and desiring to join another level of social acceptance - and yes, that does seem to be a factor in the story - however, I am remembering as a young wife 40 and 50 years ago here in the US a man's promotion and career was dependent on how the wife presented herself, how well she entertained, how clean her home and how ready she was to accommodate at short or no advance notice others from the office for dinner - we thought it was part of who we were -  where as in France a wife's appearance is expected and not just for success in the workplace. A wife, as all women, were expected to be stylish, charming and beautifully attired. Even children are expected to be dressed with style.  

This article explains the role of women in France during the third Republic - women were accessories to men.
http://www.19thc-artworldwide.org/index.php/spring11/accessories-to-modernity-fashion-and-the-feminine-in-nineteenth-century-france-susan-hiner

When you run the cost of the gown through the inflation calculator, after exchanging francs for dollars, today, the gown would cost about $1,850 - Our view of the cost puts the gown way above what many can buy a lovely gown for in the states today. However, a designer gown starts in that price range and in France at this time there were no department stores with racks of gowns and so she would have purchased a designer gown. Since she had no personal seamstress a designer gown would have been her only option. At the time Charles Worth was the big Paris designer.

Here is a photo of a ball gown from the 1880s by the French designer of prominence, Charles Frederick Worth.
http://pinterest.com/pin/222224562835752803/

When you were young were you invited to an event where in order to feel accepted you purchased a special dress hoping to look like you belonged and wanting to cover your youth, inexperience and maybe even economic situation by impressing the others attending the function?
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 03:44:04 PM »
I read the story to say that her husband did think she was stylish and that she had clothes that would have served her well.  It was, in my reading, Mathilde, who wanted  what I  would consider an outlandish price for a ballgown, given their financial circumstances.  I know I've never owned [nor even dreamed of buying] a Dior or Chanel or Versace or whoever is "in" these days.  

jane

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 04:13:28 PM »
ah but we do have other choices - and yes, I would think she would have to ask her husband as when we were young and preparing our first dinner 'for the boss' we had to ask for money for a new pot to cook dinner and borrow either the silver or crystal from our friends. I think it is too easy for us to see the story within our culture and today's values when today we have so many other options that were not available at the time -

I think the impulse to look your best in a new special situation especially give the culture of the day is reasonable and it would be up to her to know what she needs and then ask for it - the men would not know if the dresses in her wardrobe are appropriate. I also see in the story if she was spoiled she would not be as responsible ruining her life and her husband did not leave her in consternation because of what it means to their life and so together they faced paying back the loss.  Spoiled girls get others to take care of them when they mess up.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 08:14:58 AM »
Very interesting observations...  Makes me wonder - Is de Maupassant attempting to present living breathing characters with whom  we can empathize...or rather a commentary on the society in which he lives?  Is there anything about this couple  you can relate to?

If anyone, I pity the husband, though I don't understand him. Was he enjoying himself at the party?  If the wife was expected to be the husband's accessory - do we see that here?
"Her husband had been sleeping since midnight in a little deserted anteroom with three other gentlemen whose wives were enjoying the ball."

So, there were other husbands in the same situation!  Is de Maupassant sympathetic to the women of his time - or their husbands?
Was his intent to amuse his readers with this story? He was a popular storyteller at the time - what effect do you think this story may have had on them?

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 09:40:51 AM »
I think I'd go with the "commentary on the society" and perhaps the shallowness of that part of society. I don't think if the husbands were sleeping in an anteroom they were at all interested in the ball or the "socializing," and I'd guess they were there to make their lives happier...since I suspect "if Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy" must have been prevalent in that time and place as well as today.   ::)

I've seen the same thing at various events today.  The man/husband/SO is so tired (or bored) he fell asleep at a musical/literary/theater production.  Perhaps what some people value and what others do to try to please them hasn't changed over the centuries.

jane

Scottieluvr

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 11:09:38 AM »
Good Morn everyone… please excuse any typos and sentences that make no sense.  I’ve not had my first cup of coffee yet. *LOL*

BarbStAubrey:  Thank you for the links. I found them enlightening and enjoyable. I love viewing women’s attire from long ago, and my favorite from this link are the dark teal Tudor gown and the black evening gown. Still I can not imagine “squeezing” into a corset. Takes my breath away just thinking about it. *S*

Is de Maupassant attempting to present living breathing characters with whom we can empathize...or rather a commentary on the society in which he lives?  Is there anything about this couple you can relate to?

I believe he is providing both of those elements; favorable characters with a look into French society. I relate to many of the couple’s moments in this story: discussing the invitation and then the discussing a large expense before buying, working together to right a wrong, etc.

If anyone, I pity the husband, though I don't understand him. Was he enjoying himself at the party?  If the wife was expected to be the husband's accessory - do we see that here?

In my reading the husband was not a strong pivotal character; not fully developed. The story focused on the wife, Mathilde; providing her mental attitudes, wants and desires. As proven by the first 6 paragraphs of the story, the reader learns she does not care for her station in life. It’s after learning this, and the proceeding paragraphs, do I feel compassion for the husband, because he seems to have no clue to his wife’s discontent.

As a “husband accessory” the wife’s purpose is solely to please her husband thus be pleasing in public.  Mathilde did not dress to please to her husband… but to please herself. It’s ALL about Mathilde and what Mathilde wants. When Mathilde and her husband are discussing the invitation she becomes instantly angry – I believe - by the fact she must explain “proper ball attire” to him. I get the impression that had she married into the station she deserved the conversation would be moot, as she would already possess all the needed adornments for a ball. Instead she had to state her case for the extravagant expense about to befall him.

Now with all that said, this little paragraph was telling too, “He grew a little pale, because he was laying aside just that amount to buy a gun and treat himself to a little shooting next summer on the plain of Nanterre, with several friends who went to shoot larks there of a Sunday.” Mathilde’s husband gave up his meager savings for her needs. With what I’ve learned about Mathilde she would not have been so gracious…

"Her husband had been sleeping since midnight in a little deserted anteroom with three other gentlemen whose wives were enjoying the ball." So, there were other husbands in the same situation!  Is de Maupassant sympathetic to the women of his time - or their husbands?

I agree with jane on her points, obviously the husbands attended the affair to please their wives. Something men still do today. *S* As for the author being sympathetic towards the wives or husbands – that’s unclear from my reading.

Was his intent to amuse his readers with this story? He was a popular storyteller at the time - what effect do you think this story may have had on them?

I believe readers of the time would have drawn the same conclusions as many of us have here. A multitude of view points and opinions and observations, as readers will take away their own perspectives of the story.
Scottieluvr aka Pamela

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 12:11:39 PM »
I re-read the first bit thinking maybe I lost something and where I do not think he was making a social comment I think today the story becomes a comment on the roles of men and women. Today we see the role of women having ambition differently and so I think that is what makes the story a social comment.

Her ambitions may be very different than the ambitions of many of us - everyone has a different dream and we can compare the dreams of others to our own however, she is from a lower economic situation and then I looked at myself wanting more as a young woman - a bigger house nicely furnished and a better future for my kids with opportunities that I did not enjoy as a child and a wardrobe that allowed me to take part in the social events that were a notch above those limited events I attended before marriage or where we would only mingle with those in the same job category as my husband.

I also see in the story that the husband was planning on paying as much for his social outlet/hobby as the cost of her dress and he was willing to use the money to give her a taste of her dream because to me again, i see it is reasonable to go to a ball in a ball gown where they would mingle with folk that she aspires to be accepted.

We do not know what his aspirations are - I also think that to yearn for something better is part of being caged. Women at the time were caged with no ability to get a job where they are respected and where a job can inspire toward a satisfying and personal challenge that leads to creativity. We only see that opportunity becoming available for women at the turn of the century with a great example in the young woman hired as a sales girl by the forward thinking outrageous Mr. Selferedge in that mini-series. So her discontent wanting more could be what was rattling the cages of many women that led to the suffragette movement starting at about the same time as this story was penned.

I guess I see so many of women's ambitions before the 1970s as often a silly way of spending time and money - all those craft stores and crochet towel ends or teapot cozies. Yes, there were some who did their civic duty but it was among those in the community that were better able financially.

I do not think de Maupassant was doing anymore than penning a story that I see featuring naivety so they could not imagine the social group held as more acceptable and she dreamed of joining, owning and lending anything that was not valuable.  Therefore, to me the only social comment is on the idea that the masses wanting a government of the people were as naive about running with the crowd that governed France and women for sure only want to attend the social functions of the ruling class forcing husbands, rich or poor into acting as the Napoleons of the day taking charge of the event or retiring to snooze. Also, they were there with their wives. I am remembering the movie Gigi - French men are all about the chase but not in front of their wives. And in fact the snoozing men not chasing probably showed a man more content with his wife. Attending a ball was not a place to make contacts with other men unless smoking and snoozing together in the anti-rooms.

When we look at how few French emigrated to America compared to so many other nations who saw their drive to a better life given an opportunity in America what hits me is the drive for creating beauty with style was not in the DNA of America as it is among the French and it may have been a national goal that was more important to satisfy than the opportunities available in America. Just our attitude towards prepared food has only become sophisticated in the last 30 or 40 years while this was an important cultural aspiration for a couple of hundred year to the French. And so I think this is a story that gives us a peek into the values and aspirations of a culture different than our own.  

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 04:31:22 PM »
"In my reading the husband was not a strong pivotal character; not fully developed. The story focused on the wife." 
I agree, Pamela - though  it seems to me that Mathilde's desires  pivoted around her husband's support and cooperation.  He at least had some money of his own...saving to go lark hunting, he was.  As Barbara points out - Mathilde had no source of income, other than what her husband decided what  she might have.

I can't imagine what their lives would have been like, had she not lost that necklace- remembering how exhiliarated she was at her "success' when the ball was over.  Was she hoping to be invited to future soirees, perhaps?  Wouldn't she need more and more new dresses and jewelry. 

On the other hand, how different things would have been had she confessed the loss to her friend and learned right away that the necklace was paste.  The irony - the loss of the necklace probably brought these two closer together - and saved the marriage.

The moral?  I like Pamela's -
"Never covet someone else’s riches for they may not be so valuable." 
What do you think de Maupassant was saying in this story?

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2013, 04:38:23 PM »
I agree with those of you who found the name, "Little Butterball" offensive.  The same hungry travelers who eagerly ate from her picnic basket, were so quick to put her down once fed, nourished and free to travel once again.  The women were just as guilty of this as the men.

Several interesting facts about de Maupassant.  He was never married, nor did he have children.  Do you think it takes a man with marital experience to write such short stories as those we are seeing here?  He wrote over 300 short stories...the first was "Boule de Suif."  It was met with instant success - as were so many of the stories that followed.  

What did you think of the story?  Why do you think it appealed to his French readers when it first appeared?

Scottieluvr

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2013, 05:26:49 PM »
The same hungry travelers who eagerly ate from her picnic basket, were so quick to put her down once fed, nourished and free to travel once again.  The women were just as guilty of this as the men. […]What did you think of the story?  Why do you think it appealed to his French readers when it first appeared?

For the short story, "Boule de Suif", I believe it takes someone highly observant and understand the varied, unique human dynamics to write such a compelling story. He has a firm grasp about human behavior too. As for The Necklace, the author could have garner understanding the dynamics of a married couple by observing his married friends and family and who were raising children too. So being married and without children would not be a hindrance.

As to "Boule de Suif’s” period popularity, I suspect because the story exposes an incident that many people may have experienced, witnessed or heard about.

I really enjoyed reading the story, as the writing was captivating.  The story premise at first felt “typical” but evolved into something more intriguing with every passing page, so keeping me intrigued. 
Scottieluvr aka Pamela

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2013, 06:45:41 PM »
Read Boule de Suif and roared laughing with recognition - It was Wall Street and the Banks all over - after the bail out they kept right on with their foreclosures and surround themselves with each other vacuuming in as much of the National Wealth as possible leaving the huge national debt to the average tax payer - those in power, when push comes to shove always shove the least powerful under the bus and never go back to rescue them. Part of the tactic is to belittle the lest powerful which helps to justify what they are doing - remembering those working Wall Street were photographed with their glasses of champagne looking down on those representing the 95% with the Occupy Wall Street movement.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2013, 10:50:00 AM »
Certainly her reduced circumstances brought about a radical change in Mathilde's character.  A stronger woman than the frivolous young wife we saw at the start?  In this very short story, de Maupassant made this change understandable, without quesiton.

But did the success of the story require the twist at the end - the discovery that the necklace was only paste?

Do most of these  short stories end with such a surprising turn at the end?  

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2013, 02:51:43 PM »
ahhh but then I did not frown on Matilda's frivolity - I just saw her trying to be a Gigi and I would have hated to see Gigi, a young impressionable newly married women on the arms of a Louis Jordan, trying to be what was expected of a women of class bowed down because she was naive enough to think, just because someone was an approachable role model they were authentic and everything they owned was authentic and a Gigi reduced her lovely looks and living circumstances to pay back what she thought was an authentic bauble that she lost.

OH oh oh - I guess I come from the concept without sympathy for what became of her looks and life is blaming the victim because she was the victim of her own better nature believing in a role model and as we all do with our heroes, we give them credit for every good thought we have, giving our hero role model more status then they deserve.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2013, 05:29:55 PM »
An interesting approach, Barb.  I wonder how you and the others viewed the lil Butterball - Mademoiselle Elisabeth Rousset?  I'm fairly certain she has everyone's sympathy, empathy for the beginning of the story to the end.  I thought deMaupassant did a much better job portarying her character.  Of course he spent nor time on it..."Boule Suif"  was 4 times longer than "The Diamond Necklace."  She was quite a complicated character, wasn't she?  At least her compatriots saw her differently.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2013, 05:43:13 PM »
Can anyone explain what Cornudet, "the democrat, the terror of all respectable people" intended at the end of the story when he sang all the words to La Marseillaise?  De Maupassant writes that he, Cornudet was "impatiently awaiting the Republic, that he might at last be rewarded with the post he had earned by his revolutionary orgies.  

Was he taunting the lady?    Was there any one more loyal to her country than she?   Was this the twist at the end of the story?

Even though we will begin a new story in the morning - a "Pair of Silk Stockings" set in England in the same period de Maupassant was writing in France, we plan to leave these individual story discussions opened for further comment and comparison.  We really want to hear from you!

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2013, 11:36:00 PM »
I wonder - did not look up the names of the villages they passed through on their journey but wonder if they were from the area of Alsace and Lorraine which is where the Germans had the biggest hold on France during the Franco-Prussian War - from what i read there was talk of bringing back the Monarchy during this time but in the end with no worthy family member from the Monarchy left, the nation stayed a Republic.

I did have to smile - that was quite a feast hidden under the petticoat of Boule de Suif - the chicken, four bottles of wine, pate de foie gras, a lark pie, a piece of smoked tongue, Crassane pears, Pont-Leveque gingerbread, fancy cakes, and a cup full of pickled gherkins and onions - this site has a fairly good recipe for the classical French gingerbread however the photos are great
http://www.parisperfect.com/blog/2010/11/recipe-for-gingerbread-loaf/
and this site not only has a photo of the pears but a good explanation about them
http://www.arboreum.biz/t/categories/pears/p/passe-crassane
And here is a photo of a Lark Pie
http://tinyurl.com/k9c56rh
A terrine of Pate de foie gras
http://tinyurl.com/khyppsc

OH yes, Kate Chopin lived in and wrote from Louisiana - I did look up the author this time - I loved reading many stories from the nineteenth century but these short stories really bring home to me the differences in the culture of the nineteenth century, what life was like far more than the big classical novels. I wonder if it is because we have to dig a bit deeper to understand, where in a novel it is so laid out for us so that we do not dig as deep - I don't know but whatever, it sure makes me aware how far we have come in the last 130 years.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2013, 09:45:39 AM »
Barbara...an interesting thought - the Alsace/Lorraine connection.  De Maupassant wrote this story in 1884 I think, not long after the Germans took Alsace from France.  The French characters in the story are travelling through  Rouen, I think...fleeing the oncoming Prussian invasion - is that right? You can see Rouen on this map - marked A.  The Asacian  area is marked B.  I got the impression that the French, including Boule de Suif are heading to England.  Did you?

Alsace-Lorraine had been taken from France by the newly established German empire under the Treaty of Frankfurt following France's defeat by Prussia in the 1870-1871 Franco-Prussian War.  The Germans are looking to take more of France.

German control control of Alsace went on until Alsace was annexed again by France...internationally recognized by the  Treaty of Versailles in 1919.

The French Government immediately started a Francization campaign that included the forced deportation of all Germans who had settled in the area after 1870.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2013, 10:09:34 AM »
Those links make my mouth water...I can't remember any piece of French literature that does not mention food.  You found everything in the lady's picnic basket. 

"The basket was emptied. It still contained a pate de foie gras, a lark pie, a piece of smoked tongue, Crassane pears, Pont-Leveque gingerbread, fancy cakes, and a cup full of pickled gherkins and onions--Boule de Suif, like all women, being very fond of indigestible things.

This is war time - her picnic basket indicates that for some professions, some live well!  Are there hints that Boule de Suif may have been "entertaining" German officers before the request is being made here?

salan

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2013, 06:19:31 PM »
The Necklace...umm..Sort of reminds me of Aesop's Fables, with a moral to the story.  Frequently we place value of things that have no value.  "All is not what it seems", "honesty is the best policy", etc.  I get the feeling that the wife would never have been satisfied.  She would always feel that she deserved more.  Her husband would have gone into debt trying to buy her the gowns and jewels that she felt she deserved.
Sally

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2013, 07:08:14 PM »
I felt that way too, Sally.  Mathilde never really came to life for me, though an important part of the story...the whole fable aspect of it.  

Did you get a chance to read de Maupassant's  "Boule de Suif?"  I'd be interested to know what you thought of the courtesan, the little Butterball.  Did she come alive for you?  Dd you sense  a moral in this story?  Was there a twist at the end as in the first stories?

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2013, 08:45:52 PM »
I swore I wasn't going to reread The Necklace, because I remember my feeling of horrible frustration when I read it as a teenager.  Of course, I finally caved and reread it.  I still have the same feeling of frustration, but the emphasis has changed.  The first time, it was mostly the pointlessness of the whole miserable 10 years of sacrifice, when all could have been put right by a little more openness.  This time it's more frustration at the limited options available to women, and the injustice of society valuing only one aspect of them--their beauty, and the ability to make the most of it.  Other than this, a woman had almost no way to make a place for herself.   A happy marriage and children could do it, but Mathilde didn't have children.  And a woman with abilities in other directions would be totally frustrated.  Chattels and ornaments.

I think Sally is right.  It's a fable.