Author Topic: Pair of Silk Stockings, A ~ Kate Chopin ~ June 7 - 9 ~ Short Stories  (Read 13285 times)

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome.

Short Stories - JUNE ~ JULY Book Club Online

It is said that a good short story should include: * a strong theme, * a fascinating plot, * a fitting structure, * unforgettable characters, * a well-chosen setting, * an appealing style.  Let's consider these elements as we discuss the following stories.  Is it necessary to include them all in a successful story?

Notice that the titles are all links to the stories.

Discussion Schedule:
June 1 -June 9: *The Book of The Funny Smells--and Everything (1872) by Eleanor H Abbott *The Necklace or The Diamond Necklace (1880) -  by Guy de Maupassant *A Pair of Silk Stockings (1896) by Kate Chopin
June 10- 14: *Babylon Revisited by F.Scott Fitzgerald

Topics for  Consideration
June 7 - June 9

1. Are there hints about where Mrs. Sommers lives? Who tells us the circumstances of her life?

2. What is a porte-monnaie, and what is figured Lawn?

3. Do we know how Mrs. Sommers came to have the $15? How did the $15 make her feel?

4. The silk stockings are only one purchase in the story yet, the author chose to include silk stockings in the title. What is symbolic about the silk stockings?

5. Before nylon stockings made their appearance in 1939, silk stockings were a luxury.  In 1890 the sale price was $1.98 which today is equal to $49.82. What woman's apparel today priced at about $49.82 would you consider as luxurious and as decadent a splurge as  a pair of Silk Stockings?  

6. How does Mrs. Sommers see herself after she exchanged her cotton stockings for the new silk ones?

7. Were there good times in your past that are no longer and at times, you wish you could have a second chance, turn the clock back so to speak to have again, a taste of a delicious memory?

8. When Mrs. Sommers says, "She wanted an excellent and stylish fit, and she told the young fellow who served her, that she did not mind the difference of a dollar or two more in the price as long as she got what she wanted."  What does this suggest about Mrs. Sommers" life?

9. What does her day-dreamy state as the story progresses suggest?

10. Where is the conflict in this story?

11. Mrs. Sommers day dreamed in the cable car that it would go on forever. Do you think she was mentally abandoning her children? Why do you think she spent the money on herself? Was that her original plan?

12. What purpose does the story seem to have?

DL Contact: BarbStAubrey

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
Good morning - here we are with our third or is it really our fourth short-story for the week - We are back in the US and this story was published in 1890 -

Big changes for women - the 1890s is the height of the Gilded Age boom that started after the 1880 depression and followed after the Civil War, the use of electricity, the industrial revolution and the early days of mass production. Life at home was made easier so that a day shopping became part of a women's experience encouraged by Department Stores cropping up in cities and some smaller towns.

We have Mrs. Sommers, in Kate Chopin's story, living during these heady times. Let's find out what the nineteenth century woman is experiencing - what she holds dear and how she relates to her circumstances with the banquet of goods and experiences that was laid out before women during the 1890s.

Again, we may have different ideas about the story and that has always been the delight in reading and discussing together on Senior Learn, as we hear other thoughts we never thought of while we were reading - so please, share - remember, we are not looking for "one" or the 'right' interpretation - all ideas build to a more complete understanding of the story.

Do you have your cup of coffee or glass if tea - then let's go - pull up a chair and let's talk...
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Ella Gibbons

Re: Short Stories - A Pair of Silk Stockings - June 7 - 9
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 10:33:55 AM »
Hi Barb!  I have a 2nd cup of coffee here by the computer and just read the sweet story.  I do not know who is telling the story and I would imagine the mother is living in what we would call a middle class nighborhood - on the poorer side of middle class.  She was used to finer things at one time, however; and pondered how best to spend the money even thinking of of investments.

But the glories of the shops were too much - she had a grand day shopping; she gave into her own desires,  Should I say selfish desires.

Does she have a right to spend her $15 on herself for one day?  Of course, she does; however I think she will feel very guilty the next day.  

But she will have great memories of her one day shopping  and will wear her stockings sparingly.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 03:36:59 PM »
Lovely post Ella - yes "she will wear her stockings sparingly." Oh, and the guilt - most of us have been there where we spent money when our babies were young and second guessed if we should have made another purchase.

The story does not tell us how or where the money came from - do you think it was because she miss-calculated her budget or do you think she earned it - Since she does not hoard it away she must depend on a steady monthly income regardless smaller than she was used to when her husband was there. No word about the husband either - makes me think he was dead for awhile.

I am having the hardest time thinking of a bit of luxury, a decadent wearable for just under $50. Has anyone thought of what that could be today?

Found this nice site about the Department stores mostly in New York City where the area was called the " ladies mile" - great photos
http://ventilateblog.wordpress.com/2013/03/04/the-worlds-first-department-stores-ladies-mile-nyc/
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 04:18:02 PM »
"The neighbors sometimes talked of certain "better days" that little Mrs. Sommers had known before she had ever thought of being Mrs. Sommers."

From the very first paragraph we're told that "little" Mrs. Sommers had known better days...  Why "little"?  Is that to arouse our sympathy for her position?  Is she a widow with four children who need socks and shirts?  She's been planning how best to spend this unexpected money - on the children.  But no, she's distracted from her shopping list because her hand felt the expensive French stockings.  

My mouth fell open when I read your calculation for the cost of those fine stockings in today's dollars - $49???  Did I read that right?  I have to believe that she had other means of support for her family if she had that much discretionary change in her porte monnaie to spend.

Ella asks: "Does she have a right to spend her $15 on herself for one day?"  I think she does as long as she's not depriving those children of necessities...  She sounds like Mathilde demanding that expensive ball gown, doesn't she?

I'm going to go check on the figured Lawn fabric she had planned to spend on those little Sommers girls...

Loved those department store photos, Barbara.  Not Walmart or Target.  I think that anyone who can shop in stores like these has some money - though maybe not as much as she had before she was married...before she had children...

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 06:19:36 PM »
Seems to me I am remembering that most Department stores had a bargain basement where the quality of the store was in the goods as compared to what could be purchased at the dry goods store, the 5&10 or Sears - I am remembering shopping in one of Lexington's nicer department stores and finding inexpensive items here and there tucked in the racks of the upstairs departments - the best thing about those department stores, they all had delivery trucks with their name prominent on the side of the vehicle and they delivered large items as well as, if you had a number of purchases that added up to a certain amount - forget the amount.

I used to take my older ones with me when they were 4 and 5 during the February blahs when the sky was low and rain was daily pouring so that we had cabin fever - we looked mostly but always a treat lunch at Woolworths and I would buy a potted violet. Just taking the bus to town was a treat. 

Finally figured out a luxury - I thought of silk pillow cases - nope cheapest $75 - Vera Bradley scarf - Nope too hot to wear - fun pink Tennies - nope more like $89 than $49 - then it hit me - one of those wide brimmed straw hats sold down in Corpus with the ribbons around the crown that fall down your back and decked with artificial flowers around the crown. Fun to wear - I had one for a couple of years about 10 years ago - a pain in the neck getting in and out of a vehicle but otherwise wearing a summer straw hat even makes everyone seeing it and you smile.

salan

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 06:31:02 PM »
The purchase of the silk stockings kind of reminds me of doing things to your house.  Painting one room leads to painting another.  Fresh paint makes the floors look shabby, so new carpet or refinishing the floors.  Then the furniture looks a little worn, and so on.  The silk stockings led to new shoes, which led to new gloves, etc.  Yes, as long as her children were not in need; she had a right (and maybe an obligation) to treat herself.  And yes, as a good mother, she probably will feel guilty.
What decadent luxury would I buy now???  In my younger years it would have been a lacy pair of panties.  Now?  Maybe a good bottle of wine.
Sally

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 08:53:16 PM »
Yes, I can see it about painting a room I can remember cleaning being that way as well - Lace panties that would be a luxury and a decadent luxury at that - I wonder if you can even buy lace panties any longer - everything is all these briefs and bikini undies. to treat  yourself to a nice bottle of wine almost sounds like the opening of another march through a food department because as silk stocking led to shoes and gloves and magazines and lunch and the theater a good bottle of wine suggests to me some Cold Marinated Mushrooms with Whipped St. André - Brie tart with truffle cream -  and Stuffed Prunes with Caprice des Dieux and probably even Mini-pastries filled with sliced baked apples and Pié d'Angloys. Can I come if I bring the food - the back porch will be great as long as there is a sunset - I'll wear my straw hat.

salan

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 03:58:25 AM »
Barb, You bring the food, and I'll make the wine a bottle of champagne!
Sally

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 10:52:26 AM »
 :D   :D   :D

"Cold Marinated Mushrooms with Whipped St. André - Brie tart with truffle cream -  and Stuffed Prunes with Caprice des Dieux and probably even Mini-pastries filled with sliced baked apples and Pié d'Angloys."  

I thought for a minute I was in the wrong discussion,  peering into Butterball's picnic basket - en France!  Count me in!  I'll find you, no matter which discussion you're in!

My luxury these days - forget the silk sheets, but I'd splurge on a set of Egyptian cotton sheets any time I found the extra $$$

"Little" Mrs. Sommers had planned on some dresses of Lawn fabric for dresses for the girls.  I'm trying hard to imagine what this fabric was like.  Two conflicting sources...but it seems Montgomery Ward (remember Monty Ward?) sold lawn fabric at 12 cents a yard in 1895.

Did K. Chopin say that she intended to buy a Lawn print - or white?

"Lawn is a lightweight, sheer cloth, crisper than voile but not as crisp as organdy. Lawn is known for its semi-transparency, which can range from gauzy or sheer to an almost opaque effect, known as lining or utility lawn. The finish used on lawn ranges from soft to semi-crisp to crisp, but the fabric is never completely stiff. Lawn can be white, or may be dyed or printed.
The term "lawn" derives from "Laon", a city in France, which produced large quantities of linen lawn.
More on lawn -
a finely woven cotton fabric that resembles linen and is used in children's clothing, pajamas and as quilting material. Unlike traditional cotton clothing, lawn fabric resists wrinkles and has a soft, silky feel. The lightweight fabric is perfect for use in summer clothing or for layering in other seasons

This looks like the Christening dress my grandmother made from the slip of her wedding gown -  for my mother - me, cousins, siblings and then my children.  Cousin thought it needed to be "retired" and had it framed - hangs in the grand stairwell in his house.  I don't think I will ever get over that.

Dress, child's, white lawn, floral embroidered yoke, 1896-1902

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2013, 01:19:30 PM »
On the foods - easy when you have nearby stores that carry good cheeses from France - So many Department Stores had nice tea rooms and lunch rooms and restaurants - some stores had more than one - a quicky, less expensive and a larger, always done with flowers on the table - I remember in San Antonio a group of us used to go down in the Spring and in the Fall we used to go over to Houston for the day - but the special experience in San Antonio was to shop at Skrivners which started as a hardware store and grew - they had the best fabric by the yard and their lunchroom was the treat. Never realized till now just how wise the owners were about charming ladies and making sure their energy did not flag so they could stay in the store and shop till they dropped as the saying goes. Because see what happened once Mrs. Sommers stopped for lunch outside the department store, she did not continue to shop.

How nice JoanP that you still have your Christening Dress - it looks full of detail - just lovely.

We do not wear printed lawn dresses any longer - but I remember when everyone past a certain age wore printed lawn dresses all summer when ever they left their home, a flower print lawn dress often with an organdy or lace collar - the print was always soft and muted - I am thinking when the story was written many younger women, like Mrs. Sommers would wear summer dresses made of lawn and it appears from the story lawn was the fabric of choice for children's clothes - it is so delicate I am imagining Sunday best when children were not to play in their going to church clothing.

Oh, and yes the price of Egyptian cotton is beyond belief - I only recently gave my daughter a set of twin size Wamsutta sheets that I had in the back of my linen closet for I bet over 30years - never opened - the difference in quality and the silky sheen on those sheets was a joy to feel and look at - she has washed them over and over for the past 2 years and they look and feel the same as when we opened them - what a difference in quality as compared to what can be purchased today even by Wamsutta. No wonder we are longing to buy Egyptian Cotton.

Well all in all soon this story will be so archaic because shopping in a mall even with food courts is just not the same as a good old fashioned downtown department store when you dressed to shop and clerks fitted you and tried to assure you were a repeat customer. Here we still have the Galleria in Houston, Neiman's is still in Dallas, both filled with high quality shopping but more and more the department stores we knew as children and young homemakers are disappearing.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2013, 01:51:27 PM »
A porte-monnaie is a wallet or change purse.  I think of Mrs. Sommers' one as being one of those little leather (no doubt very worn) change purses that open with a pair of metal hinges, and clasp shut with a pair of metal prongs, like this, only not pink:

Change Purse

But if you're willing to spend a lot of money, here are some stylish French ones:

Porte-monnaie

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2013, 02:05:29 PM »
Thanks for the nice links PatH - I too think hers is well worn and looking at these little doors for currency - porte=door - monnaie=currency  ;) I definitely need a new one, the clasp no longer hold tight and the needlework is all rubbed off the outside - one of those little things that I never think of when I am shopping.

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2013, 10:11:59 AM »
Barbara...I think that maybe the porte is from the French verb porter=to carry and so the change purse is something in which to carry coins.  

I saw lawn fabric being offered for sale.   I'll see if I can find the catalog. I don't think I'd ever heard of lawn fabric before.  What I recall from my childhood was what was called "dotted Swiss" but I think that was stiffer than what you're talking about.  It sounds wonderfully soft.

EDIT:  The Vermont Country Store sells lawn cotton nightgowns...

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/store/jump/productDetail/Women&aposs/Sleepwear/Nightgowns/Lanz_Hummingbird_Cotton_Nightgown_/54606

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2013, 12:44:15 PM »
Oooh Jane - I love the  Vermont Country Store   lawn nightie... but what a luxury at $59!  I like a lot of the ole-timey things in that catalog.  Wonder if I took the first step and ordered the nightgown, I'd stop with that.

I'm wondering at the effect those silk stockings had on Mrs. Sommers.  If she wanted to splurge some on herself, she could have purchased the one pair for one dollar and ninety-eight cents  without doing too much damage to her shopping plans.  Of course they wouldn't have looked so nice with her old shoes...so she needed new ones to wear with the stockings...  The gloves?  The high-priced fashion magazine? (Didn't she buy TWO of them?)  Then the theater...and finally the wish on the cable car that it would never end - that she might ride on forever.  

I think that last paragraph  is the "twist" that begs attention, wishing she would never have to return to her life, could go on forever... Something more seems to be going on than the need for a little treat for herself, don't you think?  Or is it just me?

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2013, 12:58:40 PM »
And then there's that word "little" again - I haven't forgotten the opening description of "little" Mrs. Sommers.  Is this referring to her size?  Is she a small woman?  Or is it saying more about her appearance?  Is she small in the sense that she is plain, or insignificant, not worthy of notice.  

In the last paragraph, a man does notice her -  "her small, pale face."  So maybe that's all it is - maybe she is a very small woman.  (with size 8.5 feet...

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2013, 01:57:17 PM »
Oh yes, the lawn nightie - how lovely that would be - yes, so soft and flowing and the nightie in the catalog is cute - from time to time that catalog is in my mail and it does have some of the old products - candies that I remember and other things - I think like JoanP I may just order that gown because I too have never ordered anything from them.

JoanP I wonder if using the word 'little' was in keeping with the old saying 'the little woman' when it was not considered a put down as in recent years.

My thought on her wishing her day of taking care of herself reminiscent of her past would never end - was the wishful thinking of someone who feels the loneliness of all the responsibility of life for herself and her children with her usual only outlet, the care of her children so that attending the theater on a regular bases or eating in a nice restaurant is not something she can look forward to. There does not seem to be anyone to even tell her she is doing a good job and so the little luxuries is a way that many women enjoyed. Nothing like not feeling shabby when leaving the house to allow you to hold your head up as well as, dressing smartly is an emblem to yourself you are successfully keeping the wolf from the door.

I can see her now when the children are in bed and she can take just a few minutes for herself pouring over those magazines which will be the reminders so she can relive the play and the day in town - I bet it is sometime before she finally lets go and shares the magazines with the girls. She may even use the pattern that was included in most fashion magazines in the 1890s to make herself a dress and then rework the pattern for her girls.

I have two magazines in my collection from the 1890s and one from 1905 - what a difference - no full page ads in fact very few ads - whole patterns for a dress or a coat that needs to be cut out from the folded paper that is stapled into the binding also, written instructions for knitting something plus instructions how to make something for the baby. And the pictures of ladies from Paris in the latest costumes of the day some advise on marriage that you would not want to hear today as well as, a recipe or two for a homemade cream or lotion.

Scottieluvr

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2013, 04:19:39 PM »
1. Are there hints about where Mrs. Sommers lives? - Yes, as she has neighbors who know of her intimately, quoting: “The neighbors sometimes talked of certain "better days" that little Mrs. Sommers had known before she had ever thought of being Mrs. Sommers.”  Then the busy shopping area tells of a city or township, quoting: “She could elbow her way if need be; she had learned to clutch a piece of goods and hold it and stick to it with persistence and determination till her turn came to be served, no matter when it came.”

Who tells us the circumstances of her life? – The author tells of her life, but is “quoting” the neighbors. (????)

2. What is a porte-monnaie, and what is figured lawn? - A porte-monnaie is a purse or wallet; a figured lawn is a house dress.

3. Do we know how Mrs. Sommers came to have the $15? How did the $15 make her feel? - From my reading, no I’m not aware of how she came by the $15. The extra money makes her feel prosperous, important.

4. The silk stockings are only one purchase in the story yet, the author chose to include silk stockings in the title. What is symbolic about the silk stockings?  - Silk stockings were a luxurious item of the period and many women coveted those items over anything else in their wardrobe.

5. Before nylon stockings made their appearance in 1939, silk stockings were a luxury.  In 1890 the sale price was $1.98 which today is equal to $49.82. What woman's apparel today priced at about $49.82 would you consider as luxurious and as decadent a splurge as a pair of Silk Stockings?   - For me a well fitted bra - holds everything upright and firmly, no sagging; then doesn’t cause rolls under the arms and across the back. The shoulder straps are comfortable, not digging. Finally, it’s feminine with lace and ribbons, stylish not boxy, and comes in an array of colors (not just taupe, black and white).

6. How does Mrs. Sommers see herself after she exchanged her cotton stockings for the new silk ones? - quoting: “She felt like lying back in the cushioned chair and revelling for a while in the luxury of it. She did for a little while.” From my reading she was relishing the luxurious feel of those silk stockings; their soft smoothness, light comfort.

7. Were there good times in your past that are no longer and at times, you wish you could have a second chance, turn the clock back so to speak to have again, a taste of a delicious memory? - I’m enjoying more good times today than in my past. If I turn the clock back it would be to change who I was then; submissive, self-doubting, and an under appreciated person. I would have pursued my law degree, my art, and would have been a farmer long before now too.

8. When Mrs. Sommers says, "She wanted an excellent and stylish fit, and she told the young fellow who served her, that she did not mind the difference of a dollar or two more in the price as long as she got what she wanted."  What does this suggest about Mrs. Sommers" life? - That she settled for what she could afford; comfort and style not an option.

9. What does her day-dreamy state as the story progresses suggest? - That having this freedom to purchase her hearts desire is not a common occurrence.

10. Where is the conflict in this story? - The conflict is whether to buy for the family or buy for herself. She at first dictates al the ways to spend the money frugally on the children. However once she reaches the stores that whole “sense of responsibility” fly’s out the window.

The other conflict I see is “appearances or first-impressions”. At first I’m introduced to Mrs. Sommers as a worldly, responsible woman struggling to make ends meet however, as the story unfolds I’m seeing a confident woman who longs for a life of more freedoms and less responsibilities. The last paragraph affirms my suspicions that she longs for gayer times, quote: “A man with keen eyes, who sat opposite to her, seemed to like the study of her small, pale face. It puzzled him to decipher what he saw there. In truth, he saw nothing-unless he were wizard enough to detect a poignant wish, a powerful longing that the cable car would never stop anywhere, but go on and on with her forever.”

11. Mrs. Sommers day dreamed in the cable car that it would go on forever. Do you think she was mentally abandoning her children? Why do you think she spent the money on herself? Was that her original plan? - Not so much abandoning her children instead longing for more gentler times without financial hardship. She spent the money on herself because its something she rarely does, instead being a responsible parent and widow. No, it was not her original plan.

12. What purpose does the story seem to have? - How life ambitions change with the circumstances life throws your way.
Scottieluvr aka Pamela

"Above all, be the heroine of your life, not the victim." - Nora Ephron

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2013, 05:05:41 PM »

I've been thinking too of that 12th question, Pamela - what was the purpose of this story? You see the effect of changing circumstances on little Mrs. Sommers' life.  It makes you wonder about her past and what has happened.  As others have pointed out, there is no husband mentioned - but that doesn't mean there isn't one, does it?  They may be living on a meager income or something.   

Barb sees wishful thinking of someone who feels the loneliness of all the responsibility of life for herself.  I can see that too.

I'm wondering what was going on in Kate Chopin's own life that may have prompted such a story.  Forgive me - I'm always peeking behind the story at the author when trying to understand what prompted the story.  Sometimes you find it, sometimes you don't.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2013, 05:31:15 PM »
She's writing from experience, it seems...thought I'd share -

~ "Kate O'Flaherty Chopin  grew up surrounded by smart, independent, single women. They were also savvy and came from a long line of ground breaking women Victoria's own mother had been the first woman in St. Louis to obtain legal separation from her husband, after which she raised her five children and ran a shipping business on the Mississippi. Until Kate was sixteen, no married couples lived in her home, although it was full of brothers, uncles, cousins, and borders.

~ "She grew up during the Civil War ...no other evidence that Chopin had any other close female friendships"

~ "In 1870, at the age of twenty, she married Oscar Chopin, twenty-five, and the son of a wealthy cotton-growing family in Louisiana.  After their marriage they lived in New Orleans where she had five boys and two girls, all before she was twenty-eight."

~  "Oscar was not an able business man...and they were forced to move to his old home in a small Louisiana parish.

~  " 1882 Oscar dies of malaria, leaving Kate with a heavy debt and six young boys

~  "In 1884 she sold  and moved back to St. Louis.  To support herself and her young family, she began to write.

~  "As a writer, Kate Chopin wrote very rapidly and without much revision. She usually worked in her home surrounded by her children."

ps. "In 1888 she begins reading Maupassant and writes "Euphrase." (this is 8 years before she wrote Silk Stockings in 1896) 

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2013, 05:56:44 PM »
Wow she knows exactly how Mrs. Sommers feels and thinks doesn't she - thanks for sharing her story that was great. Silk Stockings could almost be a chapter in her biography. I wonder if her vision of a Department Store was May and Co. which understand was the big one in St. Louis.

Pamela I love that thought "How life ambitions change with the circumstances life throws your way." I can see it on so many levels in the story and personally. Reminds me of my mother who frequently quoted the Bobby Burns bit - "The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men"

Sounds like you are enjoying your life just now - wunderbar - and farming - you must be eating healthier than most of us - do you get seeds that are not altered? What was your art? Music, writing, printing, painting and drawing or sculpture - I read that gardening is considered an art-form surely a cousin to farming with its laid out fields and various heights and widths of growth creating a texture on the land.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2013, 07:22:23 PM »
I'm trying to follow up the clues of Mrs. Sommers' life.  She takes a cable car to go home.  That says San Francisco to me, but maybe there were cable cars in other cities too.  She isn't wearing gloves.  That's a big deal.  Even when I was growing up, you always wore gloves when you went downtown.  She's cutting corners here.  She had to bustle to feed her children lunch before shopping, but she can go downtown without them, and stay all afternoon.  Who is minding them? Are they old enough to mind themselves, or did she have some sort of household help, good enough to keep the children safe, or maybe a relative living with them?

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2013, 07:26:48 PM »
I see I'm wrong about cable cars.  They existed in a number of cities before they turned into streetcars..

http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/blstreetcars.htm

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2013, 07:41:41 PM »
JoanP:
In 1888 she begins reading Maupassant and writes "Euphrase." (this is 8 years before she wrote Silk Stockings in 1896)
I wonder if Chopin meant this story to be a deliberate counterpoint to The Necklace?  It's the same theme turned on its head.  In The Necklace, the wife lets her longing for a better life lead to ruining her family for a moment of glory.  Here, the wife feels her hard life, and remembers easier times, but all she does is use a small windfall to give herself a glorious afternoon, reminiscent of old times, which she will remember with pleasure.  Nobody is the worse for it, except the children don't get to be slightly less shabby.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2013, 09:08:05 AM »
While aware that some of you find her day "off"  a bit exhiliarating, a much deserved holiday for the lady, I found it sad.  The lady is sad to be returning to her family...wants to be free from her responsibilities...her children.  She's trapped, isn't she?  Just as Maupassant's Mathilde is trapped.  Whose shoes would you choose to live in?

Will Mrs. Sommers find comfort in those magazines in the days to come?  When will she wear those silk stockings? 

Scottieluvr

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2013, 11:05:34 AM »
She's writing from experience, it seems...thought I'd share -

Great bio on Kate Chopin - thank you for the share.  It does appear she's written about her life. But I've heard that fiction is real life only more imaginative.  ;)
Scottieluvr aka Pamela

Scottieluvr

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2013, 11:53:01 AM »
Sounds like you are enjoying your life just now - wunderbar - and farming - you must be eating healthier than most of us - do you get seeds that are not altered? What was your art? Music, writing, printing, painting and drawing or sculpture - I read that gardening is considered an art-form surely a cousin to farming with its laid out fields and various heights and widths of growth creating a texture on the land.

*ROFLOL* Oh!  I eat well but not from my farming efforts. We try to buy heirloom seeds and plants but sometimes life isn’t so easy, so hybrids are a substitute – a poor one but we get them to taste somewhat like their nature-born ancestors.

My art was broad while in my 20’s: acrylic/oil painting, drawing with numerous mediums, played only the guitar at the time and was breaking into ceramics too. Today I can include writing, cement, wood and glass to my repertoire.

Yes, I consider gardening an art form as well as my nut grove; the land is my canvas while the plants are my paints providing texture and color. 
Scottieluvr aka Pamela

Scottieluvr

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2013, 12:42:39 PM »
While aware that some of you find her day "off"  a bit exhiliarating, a much deserved holiday for the lady, I found it sad.  The lady is sad to be returning to her family...wants to be free from her responsibilities...her children.  She's trapped, isn't she?  Just as Maupassant's Mathilde is trapped. […]  

*throwing some thoughts out there*…

Yes, Mrs. Sommers’ outing was exhilarating, but in a fanciful manner.  I would have never succumbed to splurging on myself when my children need. As a single mom (of one daughter) for 8 years I endured without financial, emotional or physical support/aid from the father or immediate family. I was me or poverty. But I cannot help but succumb to “the fantasy” of spending a mere $15 ($50) on just myself when I’ve been providing for my children for the last 2 years… 5 years… 10 years. That’s how I read this story – a fantasy, now given words, for an overly responsible person. I relished it… enjoyed it… and even wished I was as daring. But women are expected to make sacrifices while men are excused (my father and ex-husband) – this is only from my life experience of course.

Curious… if Mrs. Sommers just spent $1.98 on herself then the remaining money on the children, would that have been acceptable? It still stands that she didn’t, so… may be she got caught up in the emotional and physical euphoria of just buying for herself?

As I grow older I view my hard times as moments I should have cared for myself as well, and spending $50 frivolously on me would not have been all that bad. After all, I remember working weeks of 12 hour days so the overtime alone would have afforded both of our little life comforts.

Whose shoes would you choose to live in?
Neither… as I imagine my personality calling for different responses and management of life and family; even living in that period.

Will Mrs. Sommers find comfort in those magazines in the days to come?  When will she wear those silk stockings?  
Yes, she will find comfort in those magazines; a singular indulgence. They may give her hope over the next decade or more in continuing to sacrifice and manage with very little. It will remind her of exhilaration, indulgence, carefree spend-thriftiness. She’ll wear those silk stockings to extra special events or in the privacy of her bedroom. These items may provide her hope for better times ahead too. Again, me being fanciful and unrealistic.   :P
Scottieluvr aka Pamela

nlhome

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2013, 03:43:17 PM »
I was thinking - the children probably don't know that they are "shabby." It's the mom who thought about making them look new "for once in their lives". I didn't get the sense she was depriving them of a real need so much as something fresh - and perhaps for her the need of a break was stronger.

And I can fully understand her feeling that she wished the day would not end, that she could just keep going - not that she didn't want to go back to her children and her life, but a few more minutes of fantasy. I've done that - just drifted off to another place in my mind, a break from reality.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2013, 04:11:01 PM »
Reminds me of the questions Carol asked - things or times however, I remember magazines being not only something to re-read and woolgather over but they gave me ideas to bring about in my life - and her times at the theater I think with no radio the only music is what you could make or play in your head - so of all her purchases these are the two that spoke to me as affecting her and her family's future.

PatH I assumed the children were of school age and since she wore a coat I assumed they were in school. I remember when we - a group of friends - went shopping we arranged for a neighbor to look in on the children when they came home from school knowing we would not be there. They had certain tasks to accomplish and could not have anyone in, sometimes they went home to the house of one of their friends. I thought her lack of gloves was more about etiquette and her lowered circumstances than about the weather. No where did the story include blustery winds or cold and so in my imagination I pictured the story taking place the end of September or October.

Comparing the two stories I thought the story of Mrs. Sommers was full of hope. She was down but this splurge suggested her spirit was still alive and there would be many family happenings that would have a sparkle about them even when the money was carefully counted out.

Where as because of the class system that was the social fabric of Europe I thought Matilda was reduced to even a lower class than before with very little hope of raising again much less ever attaining the class she dreamed of. On top of which her looks were gone which to a French women is not just her jewel it is her main objective in life to maintain beautiful skin, hair and stylish clothing. I see this in my daughter-in-law who is half French and in her sisters. Here she is age 53 and hardly looks any different than she did when she was 23 with always the pink tennis shoes or red hat or some bit of surprise and delightful addition to her outfit. Everything is about how it looks - her, the house, the yard, the vehicles they drive and when she was dressing her boys now all grown.