Author Topic: Good Earth, The ~ Pearl Buck ~ September Book Club Online  (Read 49187 times)

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Re: The Good Earth ~ Pearl Buck ~ September Book Club Online
« Reply #80 on: September 02, 2013, 11:01:19 PM »
The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome.

September Book Club Online  

The Good Earth by Pearl Buck

Interest in Pearl Buck's  The Good Earth, continues with the news that her never-before published, final novel is coming out in October, forty years after her death.  The Good Earth is the poignant tale of a farmer and his family in old agrarian China, a  depiction of traditional Chinese culture in the early twentieth century before World War II.  Some critics say it should move readers to rediscover Buck as a source of insight into both revolutionary China and the United States’ interactions with it.
Let's discover together why The Good Earth remained on the bestseller list for 21 months in 1931 and 1932, and was awarded the Pulitzer Prize in 1932.l

As Buck delved deeply into the lives of the Chinese poor, she opposed  the religious fundamentalism, racial prejudice, gender oppression, sexual repression, and discrimination against the disabled.
She  championed many of these causes when she returned from China to the US,  including woman’s rights, rights for physically and developmentally disabled persons, and racial inequalities.  Pearl won the Nobel Prize in literature, the first American woman to do so.

Relevant Links:
the Good Earth Timeline :

DISCUSSION SCHEDULE:  
        September 2-8     Chapters 1-8
        September 9-15   Chapters 9-15
        September 16-22   Chapters 16-22
        September 23-29   Chapters 23-34

Some Topics for Discussion
Sept. 2-8 Chapters 1-8

1. How did a man expect his life to change when he married in China?

2. What did his marriage preparations reveal about Wang Lung's character?

3. Did his new wife disappoint?  Your impressions of O-lan?

4. Was it just a coincidence that Wang's good fortune began to change, after he bought that plot of land or was it the birth of his daughter?

5. Are there any clues as to when The Good Earth was set?

bellamarie

« Reply #81 on: September 03, 2013, 10:45:00 AM »
Good morning all!  Oh what a difference a day makes......I finished reading our 8 chapters assigned for the week, and as happy as I felt in the first few chapters, I am as equally sad in the ending ones.  I will resist jumping too far ahead, but I can say Pearl sure has tugged at all my emotions so far, just in these first 8 chapters.

JoanP,  Thank you for the pics.  It's true when they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. Oh how sad I feel just looking at these pics of what disfigurement binding feet did to women, making them a handicap.  Makes you almost want to be an ugly slave so you could walk on your own two feet.  Who even thinks this is OK.  Thank God they finally outlawed it.  We women in America sometimes take for granted our freedom to think, act, work, choose our husband, and express ourselves openly.

#3. Did his new wife disappoint?  Your impressions of O-lan?

I feel overall Wang was very pleased with his new wife O-lan.  As every marriage, the honeymoon phase is all excitement, 1st baby born, good fortune and all is well.  Then once the honeymoon phase is over, child number 2,3,...and a female is born all is not going so well for them.  These are the true tests of a marriage, a love, a family and a person's character.  My impression of O-lan is she is a very loyal wife, hard worker, loving mother, cares and take pride in her home and family, and although she does not talk much, she has a silent strength.  Let's see as the story unfolds, just where this will get them.

Ciao for now~
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #82 on: September 03, 2013, 12:18:16 PM »
Good morning!
I agree that Wang felt himself fortunate, Bellamarie. His wife with the large flat feet turned out to be a helpful farm-hand in his field, enabling him to do so well that he was able to buy more land the next season.

We're told that O-lan  was born into poverty - was sold by her family as a slave at the age of 10. Not attractive, the young lords in the Hwang household had left her alone - left her a virgin at 20. Apparently looks counted with them.

O-lan is quite an asset to Wang.  I have to laugh whenever he congratulates himself on doing so well.  Not sure he gives any credit to O-lan - or recognizes her contribution to his accomplishments.  What did he do to deserve her?

She made no production of the whole childbirth process,  This is her first child, no family or anyone to help her, did it alone - worked the fields in the morning - and managed to get a hot meal on the table for the men in the family after giving birth!  In addition, she had the good fortune to produce a boy to the family.  (I guess we have to recognize Wang's contribution there. ;))  

I'm thinking now of Pearl Buck's first baby...also born in China in 1920.  A daughter, Carol. (Pearl's mother, who had been ill, died shortly after Carol was born.) How were daughters regarded in 1920 in China?  How about today?

Can you figure out when Wang Lung's story in The Good Earth was set?

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #83 on: September 03, 2013, 12:52:48 PM »
Feeling as Belamarie does about the once happy Lung Wang's life and the horrible downfall of his family and his neighbors when the drought hits them all.  I was going to do a little research and find when and if that drought actually happened but decided that it didn't matter as that's what Pearl Buck put into her story. And what a beautifully written story it is. 
There were a number of things that the farmers did automatically did and I am curious about some of them.  For instance, Wang Lung bought from or traded his neighbor for seeds.  Hmmm, must have been customary.

After reading about O'lan's housework, I was exhausted!  And then after she accomplished all that (picked the bugs from the blankets while she awaited the drying of the covers for them, just one of many jobs she did in her new home).  Then she joined Wang in the fields!  This lady is a treasure and I think Wang is beginning to see her value. 
I loved his happiness with her presenting him with a beautiful son and her plan to make new clothes for him and herself and Wang for when she presented the baby to the Ancient Mistress at the House of Hwang.

How did  she know about the buying of cloth since she always served in the kitchen at House of Hwang?  That she needed 24 feet of cloth and the cloth merchant would throw in 2 more feet as a courtesy?  This woman is much more than Wang expected.

One thing that really brought home the slavery understanding was when Wang called his new daughter a slave.  Is this what happened to most girls that were born into poverty?  How awful!

The foot binding was a sorry cruelty to the women and to the baby girls.  Why did the poor even think it was required of them and their daughters? Am I misunderstanding about that? 
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

Steph

« Reply #84 on: September 03, 2013, 05:21:48 PM »
Foot binding has always seemed so brutal.The idea of not being able to move without pain is horrible to me.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Jonathan

« Reply #85 on: September 03, 2013, 05:55:19 PM »
Spare me the foot-binding. What an awful thing to do to anyone. What a price to pay for being female and upper or middle class.  Surely that  was no part of a peasant life. Crippling the woman of whom so much was expected.

Wang seems very pleased with his good fortune. In fact he gets nervous about it, hoping the gods won't notice. O-lan, surely finds liberation of sorts in her new role as the wife of Wang. These two are on the make, which surprises me. Peasants, it seems, could improve their lot.

How funny to hear honeymoons mentioned. That would have been a new concept for Wang and O'lan. They seem to communicate by signs and signals.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #86 on: September 03, 2013, 06:38:32 PM »
Annie, good questions. Yes, I'd say seeds were the currency, among farmers.  Worth more than money over time, I'd say.  (As long as it rained.  Water always trumps seed.)

I never questioned O-lan's resourcefulness. She's a survivor, a beggar as a child, until she was sold as a slave when she turned 10.  I wasn't surprised to learn she could sew clothes...must have had to, or gone without.  Do you suppose she was unusual, or typical of poor Chinese girls?  Did Pearl Buck base her character on the Chinese girls she knew, I wonder.

We need to talk more about the term, "slave," - were all Chinese female babies destined for such a life? That's depressing, isn't it?  Were there any alternatives?

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #87 on: September 03, 2013, 07:12:14 PM »
Just one word occurs when I read of this brutal foot torture - WHY?

I get it - (sort of) - that rich people did it, because tiny feet made them attractive to rich men - indicated to these men that they were from rich families.
But why would poor families do this to their daughters? Was it also to attract rich men?  And if so, what became of them when no rich man presented himself?  She'd have to walk around on tiny, painful feet for the rest of her life, with no one to care for her.

The really big WHY question - why was Wang Lung disappointed that his bride's feet were not bound?  What does tell us about him?

Do you think Pearl Buck met many (any?) women with bound feet among the poor she cared for with her mother as a girl?  She didn't comment on what she thought of the practice, except to indicate Wang 's disappointment when he noticed O-Lan's unbound feet.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #88 on: September 03, 2013, 07:24:47 PM »
Having no recording of Pearl Buck's voice, I wondered if she had an accent.  So I searched for a recording and here it is:
Her speech at the Nobel Prize awards:

http://www.nobelprize.org/mediaplayer/index.php?id=1400

I love her explanation of the Chinese novel and that it wasn't considered an art in China.  
And I don't hear a Chinese accent unless her cadence is Chinese.

I also looked up the Droughts in China and found that one had happened in 1900 along with the Boxer rebellion and one in 1907.  So was Pearl's family affected by these?  Probably. 
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #89 on: September 03, 2013, 07:38:14 PM »

The foot binding was a sorry cruelty to the women and to the baby girls.  Why did the poor even think it was required of them and their daughters? Am I misunderstanding about that? 

This was a difficult decision for poor people.  It was straightforward for upper or middle-class parents; if your daughter didn't have bound feet, she couldn't get as good a husband, and getting the best husband she could determined a woman's fate.  But for a poor person, it was a trade-off: bound feet, more marriageable; unbound feet, less marriageable, but more able to work, therefore more marriageable on a lower scale, and more able to help stave off poverty.  So they gamed the system, hoping they had guessed right.

It's not surprising that Wang Lung would be disappointed in his bride's big feet.  Small feet were really erotic, so it was just one more aspect of his bride being plain.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #90 on: September 03, 2013, 07:54:51 PM »
Hahaha! PatH, we were posting at the same time.

So, the foot binding in the poverty stricken was a decision they had to consider.  And some did and some didn't?  Right.  How long did it go on?I know its outlawed in the '50s but how long had it been happening.  I know, Google!

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #91 on: September 03, 2013, 08:08:23 PM »
Here 'tis from Wiki:  The practice possibly originated among upper-class court dancers in the late Tang dynasty or the Five Dynasties and Ten Kingdoms period in Imperial China (10th or 11th century), but spread and eventually became common among all but the lowest of classes. Foot binding eventually became very popular because men found it to be highly attractive, and therefore became Chinese women's way of being beautiful and to show that they were worthy of a husband.

Demise

It was outlawed many times starting in 1847 but did not stop the practice. Then in 1902 by the imperial edicts of the Qing Dynasty. In 1912, after the fall of the Qing Dynasty, the new Nationalist government of the Republic of China banned foot binding, though, like its predecessors, not always successfully. In Taiwan, foot-binding was banned by the Japanese administration in 1915. Additionally, some families who opposed the practice made contractual agreements with each other, promising an infant son in marriage to an infant daughter who did not have bound feet. When the Communists took power in 1949, they were able to enforce a strict prohibition on foot-binding, including in isolated areas deep in the countryside where the Nationalist prohibition had been ignored. The ban remains in effect today.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #92 on: September 03, 2013, 08:09:40 PM »
JoanP,
Please remind me of where I can go and put links to these lengthy histories??  Thanks!

Dana

• ::
« Reply #93 on: September 03, 2013, 08:11:42 PM »
Re Olan's resourcefulness......(which is over the top), I think it comes from Pearl S Buck's personal fantasy about what makes the ideal woman.  I have noticed in her other books that the female hero is always infinitely resourceful, knowlegeable, perceptive and a paragon of patience and understanding.  I'm not kidding .  Madam Wu and Peony are both the same: upper class versions of Olan.
I expect she wasn't like that herself!!

bellamarie

« Reply #94 on: September 03, 2013, 08:13:25 PM »
Annie, Thank you so much for the audio link of Pearl.  She has such a calming voice.  I do believe I could detect a bit of the Chinese style while speaking. I closed my eyes and listened and there are times where she stops and hesitates, much like the style of the Chinese women.  It's as though they always take their time to speak, either because they have not always been permitted to speak openly or maybe because they take pause and think carefully before speaking.  Unlike American women who can speak quickly, with regret later.  lolol 
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #95 on: September 03, 2013, 10:46:10 PM »
 ;D

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #96 on: September 03, 2013, 10:46:53 PM »
That's why I like posting vs threads.  You can reread what you said and change it if you want. :)

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #97 on: September 04, 2013, 01:19:09 AM »
Pat, I too love the writing in this novel. It's simple but makes all of the details of their lives come alive. Olan must have suffered as a slave. She was young and apparently a great worker, given what we see her doing for her new household. The staff and other slaves might well have taken advantage of her and made her do more than her share. It seems that they treated her harshly. When she is awakened by Wang Lung after she cooks dinner for his friends, she puts her arm up as if to defend herself.

Later, when she is about to give birth for the first time she reacts vehemently to her husband's suggestion that she have someone from the great house help her with the birth.

Instead of being cowed by her experiences, they have given her determination to show off her newborn son. And determination to help her husband live as prosperous a life as they can make from their land. Both of them are such hard workers.

dean69

« Reply #98 on: September 04, 2013, 06:12:05 AM »
Wang Lung has truly prospered since his marriage, but I wonder if he credits any of his good fortune to O_lan.  She who has given him a son, improved the home by cleaning and mending things, but also worked by his side in the fields.  The story says she was a kitchen slave.  How or from whom did she learn all those skills.  And I too wonder in what period the story is set.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #99 on: September 04, 2013, 12:38:30 PM »
Marcie, I enjoy the  details Pearl works into the writing, without over-explaining.  Though she is the narrator, she stays out of the story,  does not give her own viewpoint.  Yet I  sense she has lived through the period she is writing about.  I'm aware of her presence...

Dana, when do you think the story takes place?  Annie looked up periods of drought in China -  and found that one had happened in 1900 along with the Boxer rebellion and one in 1907.

I had to look it up to see what the  Boxer Rebellion, was about, because it affected missionaries working in China at the time - as Pearl's family was.  She was 8 years old at the time..  
During the time Pearl was growing up in China, the country was restless and violent, and hatred against foreigners culminated in the Boxer Uprising of 1900.

"The Boxer Rebellion officially supported peasant uprising of 1900 that attempted to drive all foreigners from China. “Boxers” was a name that foreigners gave to a Chinese secret society known as the Yihequan (“Righteous and Harmonious Fists”). The group practiced certain boxing and calisthenic rituals in the belief that this made them invulnerable.

In 1900, during the Boxer Uprising, Caroline and the children evacuated to Shanghai, where they spent several anxious months waiting for word of Absalom's fate. Later that year, the family returned to the US for another home leave.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #100 on: September 04, 2013, 01:06:00 PM »

"Pearl S Buck's personal fantasy about what makes the ideal woman.  I have noticed in her other books that the female hero is always infinitely resourceful, knowlegeable, perceptive and a paragon of patience and understanding.  Madam Wu and Peony are both the same: upper class versions of Olan. Dana

That is so interesting to read, Dana- that Pearl writes about the ideal women in her other books.  I've read that she herself was a perfectionist in everything that she did.  And it was because of this trait that she found it so hard to accept that her only biological child was not perfect.  I can imagine how difficult it was to write of  Olan's big healthy sons - and then the little daughter who seems to be suffering from some sort of difficulty herself.  Do you remember how she was described?

"Weighing seven pounds, eight ounces at birth, she appeared to be healthy.  Neither parent suspected that she was destined to experience severe mental retardation due to an inability to metabolize the amino acid phenylalanine.  In fact, PKU was not even a recognized disease entity at the time."  

Pearl blamed herself -  had just returned to China from entering Carol in a facility in New Jersey when she began to write The Good Earth - telling  acquaintances there that her daughter was in a boarding school in the States.  She could not bring herself to admit that her child was not perfect...until she wrote The Child Who Never Grew in 1950, 30 years after her birth.  Carol Buck died in 1992.

salan

« Reply #101 on: September 04, 2013, 06:23:41 PM »
Wang Yung is very pleased with Olan.  I think he gives her as much credit as men in his era/area could give an "unworthy" woman.  Both are hard working and seem to pleased with each other.  I am enjoying the book, again and find it hard not to read ahead.  I also started reading Yung Fu.  It is set in the same time period and has an introduction by Pearl Buck.
Sally

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #102 on: September 05, 2013, 09:11:50 AM »
I'm enjoying the book too, Sally.  (I confess to reading ahead too...too hard to stop.)  In some ways, O-Lan is easy to understand...you can tell from her unquestionning response to Wang's wishes, that she is ready to do what he wants, with no concern for her own feelings.  I love the way the two communicate, with few words.   Still, I find her inscrutable - how does she really feel about...well, about anything?

Wang is easier to understand, though sometimes he has mixed reactions - he wants to do the right thing, and yet he has this pride to want to look good in the eyes of his neighbors.  Maybe we all do...

What do you think of Wang's religious beliefs, his recognition of  the small earth gods in the temple? -   When he is experiencing good fortune, he is compelled to burn incense before them ...to celebrate his marriage, the birth of his first son, etc.  At other times, he skimps...but when times are bad, he rejects them altogether, shakes his fist at them, claiming they are unsympathetic.   When he rejects the gods, do they punish him?  Or does he reject them because they rejected his needs?

Is this Pearl Buck's estimation of the Chinese famers' sprituality?  I keep forgetting she's the daugher of a Christian missionary.  She must have some opinion regarding Chinese religious beliefs, don't you think?
Sally, do you find any reference at all to religious beliefs in China in Yung Fu?  (Can you remind me of what that is?  I remember when you said you were ordering it...)

bellamarie

« Reply #103 on: September 05, 2013, 10:27:32 AM »
I am so excited the library called and I now have "The Exile" which I will begin reading along with The Good Earth.  The book's binding is very worn and tattered and I noticed the copy right is 1936.  When my hubby picked it up for me the guy who works at the library was curious about the book because it is so worn and old.  My hubby mentioned I was in an on line book club for seniors.  The guy said his wife was in a book club also, but could tell ours was more distinguished, I suppose is what he meant.  lolol  I like to think we are "distinguished."  

I get the feeling that Wang worries that he will be punished if he enjoys his blessings of good fortune too much.  Sort of like you must always remain humble and appreciative, but do not boast or find too much joy, lest you will be punished.  Don't we all feel that way at times.  Like you want to pinch yourself to see if it's real, and then begin to feel a bit guilty for your good fortune?

Interesting, I was sitting here typing and my church bulletin was sitting on my table and I glanced and saw this scripture on the front:  Psalms 128: 2  "What your hands provide you will enjoy; you will be blessed and prosper."

Wang and O-lan indeed have prospered for the work of their hands, yet then mother nature blows in and wipes away everyone's harvests.  I found it appalling how Wang's uncle came begging and when he had nothing more to give the uncle decided to shame Wang publicly.  I really do not like this uncle.  So...is this story true?  Did China indeed experience the famine due to the weather?  Even the great House of Hawg?  My heart went out to the people of this village.  I grew up a very poor family of seven children and knew what true hunger pains felt like. If it was not for rice being prepared a million ways, I am certain we would have gone to bed many nights with empty bellies.  We relied heavily on our land to provide us with food to freeze and can for the winter months.  This chapter reminded me how quickly the weather can change and effect just the simple needs of life.

Ciao for now~

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #104 on: September 05, 2013, 01:50:19 PM »
JoanP asks: how does O-lan really feel about anything?  It's interesting that the story is told completely from the point of view of Wang Lung's thoughts.  We see her, but have no notion of what she's thinking except for how she acts.  There are clues.   When Wang Lung suggests that she might get help during childbirth from someone in the great house, she gets angry:"None in that house!"  She felt ill-used there, had no one she could turn to as a friend.  And she looks forward to going back, showing off her son, in new-made finery, showing herself as a success.

bellamarie

« Reply #105 on: September 05, 2013, 03:44:49 PM »
I got the impression O-lan did not want anyone from the House of Hawg to help with her delivery because she saw them as "slaves" unworthy to help with her birth, or to see her baby before she could present him in exceptional fashion.  Is it just me or does any one else get the impression O-lan saw her son as almost royalty.  I felt as though she did not and would not accept anyone seeing her first born son as anything less than the fine silks she dressed him in.  I have no idea where this story is headed but for some reason I see O-lan and Wang becoming very wealthy and of high esteem.  Beating all odds!  She may be silent, but clearly a force to be reckoned with.  IMO

Ciao for now~

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #106 on: September 06, 2013, 07:58:52 AM »
Let's do, let's add "distinguished" to "cordial" in the description of our bookclub, Bellamarie! :D  That is quite a description of "The Exile" copy your library lent to you!  The 1936 edition!  I can see why the librarian was impressed.  Please share any nuggets you pick up when reading of Pearl's mother's life in China.  We look forward to that.

I had forgot O-lan's outburst at the suggestion that she ask for help from the Hwang household, Path! BUT she didn't voice the reason for her anger, did she?  As you say, she had no friends there, was treated badly for ten years.  I didn't get the feeling that she regarded her first-born son as royalty, though - or  the women at the Hwang house as unworthy to help her.  I thought that through her marriage and hard work with Wang, she had achieved some sort of respectability and wanted to arrive at the big house with pride - with her head held high.   Which she did.  Did you notice how things weren't going so well with the idle Hwangs, as the Lungs were rising, due to their hard work?
Wang's uncle and his family are suffering from shortages at this time as well, due to their idleness.  Is anyone working as hard as Wang?  Is the author making a point of this?

When the drought occurred, even hard-working Wang was unable to coax the land to provide for his family.  No use appealing to those two earth gods in the temple.  I'd love to know what they looked like - in their fading red paper dresses. 

" Did China indeed experience the famine due to the weather?"
 Annie noted the drought of 1905, which coincided with the Boxer Rebellion in China when Pearl and her family had to leave China.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #107 on: September 06, 2013, 11:35:52 AM »
Have you noticed any reference to Wang and O-lan's little daughter's physical condition - other than that she was tiny? I may have missed something.  I was looking for some information on how John Lossing Buck reacted to the birth of his daughter and her condition, to see if there were any parallel's between Pearl's husband and Wang.  I knew that Pearl wrote The Good Earth in China, after placing Carol in an institution in New Jersey. In attatched article, Pearl's daughter, Janice, tells her mother's story when writing of Carol and John Buck. 

Caroline Grace Buck was born to (John) Lossing Buck and Pearl Sydenstricker Buck in 1920.  Weighing seven pounds, eight ounces, she appeared to be healthy.  Neither parent suspected that she was destined to experience severe mental retardation due to an inability to metabolize the amino acid phenylalanine.
  Buck did not see Carol again for three years (after leaving her in NJ), feeling guilty but also confessing in private that, at times, she wished her daughter would just die.
"I left her all alone for three years and that, I know now, was wrong for me to have done.  It was wrong for her and for me.  After all, she had never been separated from me before and for it to be so sudden and so complete was hard on us both.  True I paid a woman friend to go and see her, and she reported to me each month, but it was not the same as visiting her myself.  I vowed I would go back and see her at least once a year." 

After years of an unhappy marriage, Pearl divorced her husband in 1935  As seen by Pearl S. Buck, Lossing had withdrawn from her and Carol well before the divorce, effectively making her a single parent.

According to Buck, because her husband thought that sending their retarded daughter to an expensive, private institution was a waste of money, she was compelled to meet all the expenses herself.  In his authorized biography of Pearl S. Buck, Theodore F. Harris wrote: “She was alone in her care for the child.  It became entirely her responsibility to provide for the child's future”

Buck herself had this to say:
  . . I was in the United States with my retarded child, for whose care and future I was solely responsible.  For her sake I needed money, for I knew all too well the cost of lifelong care for such a child.  . . . I was well paid as teachers go, but now I had to earn much more.
The Good Earth remained on the bestseller list for almost two years, helped in part by the publicity surrounding the 1932 Pulitzer Prize that it received.  Grossing over $1,000,000 (Buck hoped it would make $20,000), its proceeds allowed the author to settle debts and establish a substantial (for the time) $40,000 endowment at Vineland for her retarded daughter.

Carol’s plight also influenced Buck’s literature directly.  In The Good Earth, which is about a Chinese peasant who amasses a fortune by accumulating land and skillfully farming it, we read that the protagonist, Wang Lung, and his dutiful wife, O-lan, had a retarded baby girl.  The child, who is never referred to by name, was a source of great sorrow and heart-felt pain to her compassionate father.

Wang Lung had, therefore, at this time no sorrow of any kind, unless it was this sorrow, that his eldest girl child neither spoke nor did those things which were right for her age, but only smiled her baby smile still when she caught her father's glance.  Whether it was the desperate first year of her life or the starving or what it was, month after month went past and Wang Lung waited for the first words to come from her lips, even for his name which the children called him, "da-da."  But no sound came, only the sweet, empty smile, and when he looked at her he groaned forth, "Little fool --- my poor little fool ---". 

"The nameless child, who serves throughout the novel as a symbol of humanity's essential helplessness, is Pearl's anguished, barely disguised memorial to Carol" .  At the time, Carol was still hidden from the public eye.  Indeed, Buck did not mention Carol by name or reveal her mental deficiencies in any of her early writings, including her more autobiographical pieces. 

footnote -  (John) Lossing Buck and Pearl Sydenstricker were married in 1917.  Although the couple remained married for 18 years, Pearl S. Buck realized early on she should not have married Lossing, who was not addicted to books and, in her mind, was not her intellectual equal.  "Did you ever try to live just with a handsome face?" asked Buck.  Lossing Buck was noticeably absent from The Child Who Never Grew.  According to Janice Walsh (1992), this omission was partly due to the fact that the couple was already growing apart when the Carol was born.  Following the couple’s divorce in 1935, there was almost no communication between Lossing and his ex-wife.

- Janice Buck Walsh on Pearl, Carol and John Buck - and The Good Earth

JudeS

« Reply #108 on: September 06, 2013, 04:44:26 PM »
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this fact.
If they did I didn't remember it. It really struck me as important and interesting.

"The Good Earth" was the first part of a trilogy and was published in 1931. Part two was called "Sons" and was published in 1932 and part three, published in 1935 was called "A House Divided".

Someone asked about the period the first book encompasses. It seems that no specific date is mentioned but the time line is defined by the mention (in later chapters) of the Railway, China's first. It was  put to use in 1908.
Three years later in 1911 there was a Civil war which matches the development of the family in the three years between 1908 and 1911.
The ending of the book is approx. the time of it's publication in 1931.
(My source is of course Wikipedia).

salan

« Reply #109 on: September 06, 2013, 05:27:36 PM »
Joan, I will let you know about religious beliefs in Young Fu as I read more.  Too soon to tell, yet.
I am wondering if any of you have read the other two books in the trilogy?  They might be interesting to follow up on.
Sally

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #110 on: September 06, 2013, 08:30:08 PM »
So many things to say:

Bellamarie, your remarks pointed out to me that indeed, O-lan is ambitious.   And she is certainly glad to show off to her former masters that she has managed to achieve worth, at least the worth a woman can hope for, by having a proper status as a wife, and having produced a fine son.

Famines: I'm sure there were numerous famines, regional or widespread.  O-lan had already experienced one, which is how she knew to save out the corncobs, not use them for fuel, because you could grind them up and eat them.  That famine must not have gone as far as this village, since Wang Lung doesn't seem to have experienced famine before.

The retarded daughter: I've skimmed through the first 8 chapters again twice to see when Buck starts to say she is retarded.  When the famine starts, the daughter is still nursing, and her mother calls her "poor fool", saying eat while there is still something to eat.  In chapter 9, she is not sitting up when she should, though by then everyone is weak from hunger.  It will be interesting to see how this plays out.  Wang Lung had thought of the birth of a daughter as a misfortune; how will he handle a retarded child?  A real test of character.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #111 on: September 07, 2013, 10:51:34 AM »
Since we don't know whether to place this book in 1900 or 1907, the two dates when I found that droughts occurred, but maybe Pearl used those droughts to which she had experienced as a child, to describe the one in the book. One of those droughts was happening when the Boxer rebellion was going on.  Isn't that why the Sydenstryker family moved to a larger city?  The Boxer War was about the Chinese from the north hating all foreigners who were living in their midst.  They wanted them all to leave China. 

As to her marriage to Lossing Buck, the biographer, Spirling, says that there was an early? book entitled "A China Woman Speaks" which describes her unhappiness in her marriage from day one.  The house where they live is described perfectly in that book along with her failures to attract Lossing's attention while he "worn out by his daily battle to impose rational modern solutions on problems caused by Chin legacy of superstition and obsolete belief"

Dana

• ::
« Reply #112 on: September 07, 2013, 10:55:34 AM »
I have read the second book but not the third yet.  The fool remains a fool and eventually dies, having been looked after by.....but I won't go there yet, bit of a spoiler.......

bellamarie

« Reply #113 on: September 07, 2013, 11:08:34 AM »
PatH,  Yes, you are sleuth, O-lan saving the corn cobs and knowing so much of how to deal with the famine is truly proof she has lived through or has been educated by someone who has lived through a famine.  

"Wang Lung had, therefore, at this time no sorrow of any kind, unless it was this sorrow, that his eldest girl child neither spoke nor did those things which were right for her age, but only smiled her baby smile still when she caught her father's glance.  Whether it was the desperate first year of her life or the starving or what it was, month after month went past and Wang Lung waited for the first words to come from her lips, even for his name which the children called him, "da-da."  But no sound came, only the sweet, empty smile, and when he looked at her he groaned forth, "Little fool --- my poor little fool ---". "

I have not read ahead so this talk of a retarded daughter obviously had me curious.  I suppose this will come to light in the future chapters and may very well be Pearl including her poor retarded daughter Carol in this book.

I began The Exile the other day and can tell you so far it is not as easy read as The Good Earth.  If anything I am a bit confused with keeping up with the people and places and not even sure who the narrator is.  But I can tell you from the very beginning Pearl is describing the woman much like she describes O-lan:   "Out of the swift scores of pictures of her that pass through my memory I choose one that is most herself.  I take this one.  Here she stands in the Chinese city on the Yangtse River.  She is in the bloom of her maturity, a strong, very straight figure, of a beautiful free carriage, standing in full, hot sunshine of summer.  She is not tall, nor very short, and she stands sturdily upon her feet.  there is a trowel in her hand; she has been digging in her garden.  it is a good strong hand that holds the trowel, a firm brown hand not too whitely well kept, and bearing evidence of many kinds of labor."

She goes on with other adjectives that reminds me of O-lan.  I am sensing Pearl likes her women in her novels as strong and not necessarily delicate and beautiful.  Makes me wonder if she sees her main female characters through her own eyes of how she sees herself.  I do know through the links provided to us, I viewed Pearl a very beautiful woman with a face of gentleness and love.  This woman that is mentioned leaving her child and not going to visit her for three years does not fit with the image I saw with her holding a child with so much love in her eyes.  I'm a bit disappointed just reading about a mother leaving her retarded child to a home to care for her and paying a woman to check on her, yet she herself NEVER visiting her.  Oh dear me, I am devastated knowing this.  She talks about needing money to provide to the care of her child, but for me the presence of a mother's love, holding a child, feeding and playing with the child is priceless and does not require a cent of money.  I don't want to seem harsh or judgemental, it's just my heart is heavy after reading this of Pearl and her sweet daughter Carol.  I have been a child advocate my entire life.  I have taught pre school - 8th grade, I have taught religion from 3 yrs old - Confirmation, I began my in home day care and have had many children whom I have had to point out to the parents their special needs such as Asbergers, Autism, ADHA, Dyslexia, Sensory etc., etc.  My children and grandchildren have been my existence in life.  I grew up in a family of poor who relied heavily on harvests to get by, and had a few cousins who were mentally retarded/handicapped and we never considered leaving them to a home to care for them.  We loved them and played together. Forgive me for my rant.....I've just been taken aback at the moment.  Ughhh...I hope these feelings I have leave me quickly.  

Got to rush off to a grand daughter's volleyball game.

Ciao for now~

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #114 on: September 07, 2013, 11:11:29 AM »
So much in these early chapters...

About the little daughter, unnamed - thanks for looking over these first eight chapters to see how she is described, Pat.  Her mother is the one who refers to her as "poor little fool."  Wang chews up her food for her and puts it into her mouth - from his.  The little smile saves her as many daughters are sold - especially in times of draught.  We're going to here more about her when we move on.  Thanks for stopping when you did, Dana, remembering that some of us have not read The Good Earth yet.
Weren't you horrified to read that hunger is causing some to eat human flesh?  It seems little girls would be the first to go - especially little girls who don't seem to function - a strain on any family.

Maybe it would help to learn that Pearl Buck admitted to her shortcomings as a mother and became an advocate for handicapped children for the rest of her life, Bellamarie. More on that, later.  Just know she will be an advocate for these children when she returns to the US, after her divorce from her husband.  It was her husband who complained of the time Pearl was spending with the child those nine years before she took her to the institution in the US.  She writes this The Good Earth when she returns, full of grief for leaving her only natural child in the facility...the best facility she could find.

Thank you for sharing what you are finding in The Exile.  I didn't think of Pearl's mother in the way Pearl describes her either.  I thought of her more as a reader, someone who tended her flower garden and enjoyed music.  Not the outdoorsy type at all.  I wonder how much of her own mother Pearl wrote into O-Lan's character.

Speaking of O-lan's character, I'm beginning to wonder about her maternal instincts - wonder if the "little fool" would have been sold off by now if it weren't for the fact that the little girl was won her daddy's affection.  Do you see her the same way?

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #115 on: September 07, 2013, 11:32:35 AM »
Tons of articles about Pearl's advocacy for the handicapped - but it all seems to have begin with the publication of her book in 1950 - The Child Who Never Grew which brought the situation to the public's attention...

The Child Who Never Grew," by Pearl S. Buck, is the true story of the struggle of the author after learning that her daughter Carol, born in 1920, was mentally handicapped. The 1992 Woodbine House edition contains a foreword by James Michener, an introduction by Martha M. Jablow, and an afterword by Janice C. Walsh, who was Pearl's daughter and Carol's's sister.
Jablow notes in her intro that "Child" first appeared as an article in "Ladies Home Journal" in 1950 and was shortly thereafter published in book form. Jablow notes that the book is "a landmark in the literature about disabilities." As such, I consider "Child" a fitting companion text to a book like Helen Keller's "The Story of My Life." Jablow notes that mental retardation "carried a shameful stigma" when Buck first had this story published; Jablow provides further useful historical context for the main text.

Buck writes very movingly of her heartache at the discovery of her child's plight. She documents her awareness of the stigma against people like Carol, and also tells of her search for an institution where Carol's special needs might be met. Buck passionately defends the humanity and worth of the mentally retarded, and tells what her experiences with Carol taught her: "I learned respect and reverence for every human mind. It was my child who taught me to understand so clearly that all people are equal in their humanity and that all have the same human rights."

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #116 on: September 07, 2013, 12:59:53 PM »
It's hard to imagine what a different climate the parent of a retarded child faced in 1920 than she would now.  Such a child was regarded as shameful and embarrassing, not talked about.  There were few resources to help in the diagnosis, care and education of the child.  Buck did care for her daughter Carol for nine years, which put considerable strain on her marriage, as did the considerable cost of care after Carol was institutionalized.  It wasn't a good marriage anyway, but these strains made it worse.

Here is a moving description of that time:

http://faculty.randolphcollege.edu/fwebb/buck/vmguarisco/BioPage.htm

Phenylketonuria, from which Carol suffered, was first described in 1934, when Carol was 14, and she herself wasn't diagnosed until much later.  Now, babies are tested at birth, and the right diet can prevent the retardation.

mabel1015j

« Reply #117 on: September 07, 2013, 02:30:11 PM »
I'm very busy at the moment and don't have time to read the book but will infrequently check out all your interesting posts. A very good biography of Buck is

Pearl S. Buck : a cultural biography / Peter Conn.
 New York : Cambridge University Press, 1996.

I read it about ten years ago when i had the opportunity to go on a special tour of her Bucks Co house with her dgt Janice. I thought i should learn something about PB besides the fact that she wrote The Good Earth before i went.  :)  Conn is a professor of English at Penn. I was very surprised at what a fascinating life she had. My mother read several of her books when i was growing up, she would have been even more surprised at Buck's life - she (my mother)  of 8 generations of Calvinist Presbyterians, many of them ministers, and a president of the Missionary Society!

Thank you Annie for finding her "voice." i found it much like Eleanor R's in the pronounciation of the words and in tone. They were contemporaries and knew one another. She was also acquainted with Alice Paul (the visit i made to the house was with a group from the AP Institute who had been invited by Janice to talk about historical preservation of women's history sites), and with Jane Addams and Margaret Sanger. All of those women are my heroes.

I look forward to lurking and learning from your continued conversation about the book.

Jean

Jonathan

« Reply #118 on: September 07, 2013, 02:35:31 PM »
 1. How did a man expect his life to change when he married in China?

All his domestic needs would be taken care of by his wife.

2. What did his marriage preparations reveal about Wang Lung's character?

That he would be a good provider.

3. Did his new wife disappoint?  

'In the dark and the woman beside him, an exultation filled him fit to break his body. He gave a hoarse laugh into the darkness and seized her.' p26

As you can see, first impressions, but your posts show there is much more than meets the eye in this book. Some heart breaking things are mentioned. The retarded child tragedy reminds me of the book and movie Last Orders, by Graham Swift. The father rejected the child immediately. The mother visited her daughter regularly in the institution for the next fifty years. On the last visit, mother pleaded with her daughter: Just for once, give me a sign that you know I'm here.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #119 on: September 07, 2013, 03:16:26 PM »
"I read Peter Conn's cultural biography  about ten years ago when i had the opportunity to go on a special tour of her Bucks Co house with her dgt Janice."

Thank you for that, Jean.  Can you give us a definition of a "cultural biography?  I was trying t get in touch with Janice earlier - I think she'd be 88 years now...decided to try to get in touich with Henriette, one of Pearl Book's African American adopted daughters instead.  I'd love to visit the newly reopened house in Buck's County.  How special for you that Janice was there when you went.

Ginny brought this site to our attention -  daughter Janice had kept up with Carol Buck's  progress.  . It appears Carol did make progress and grow wihile at Vineland. Janice report is quite moving.   http://www.pkuworld.org/home/historyProfile.asp?s=2

We'll look forward to you visits, Jean...