Author Topic: Persuasion by Jane Austen ~ October Book Club Online  (Read 33870 times)

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Persuasion by Jane Austen ~ October Book Club Online
« on: September 12, 2013, 04:30:38 PM »
The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome.

October Book Club Online beginning Oct.1

Please Post below if you can join us!

Persuasion by Jane Austen

“My idea of good company...is the company of clever, well-informed people, who have a great deal of conversation; that is what I call good company.'
'You are mistaken,' said he gently, 'that is not good company, that is the best.”
― Jane Austen, Persuasion

Come join us for the best company as we read this classic. Here, Austen abandons the young heroines of her earlier works and presents us with a fully mature woman who fears that her chance of happiness has already passed. Austen finished Persuasion just before her death at age 41. It is her last book, and some feel her best.

Discussion schedule:

Oct 1-7--Chapters 1-6

Some things to think about: Chapters 1-6

1. There are two examples in these early pages of Persuasion that changes people's lives. What  do you think of them? Who instigates them? Can you find more examples?

2. Austen is known for her sharp characterizations. Which of the characters in this opening section seem most true to life to you? Which the least? Do you feel you have met any in real life?

3. Anne, the middle child is ignored, put down, and expected to serve the others. Why? Do you feel this reflects anything in Austen's real life? How do you feel about her response to this?

4. How did Captain Wentworth become rich? What is Austen's treatment of the wider events of the day? Does this affect how you feel about the book?

5. Austen often indicates people's character by their manners. What examples can you find here?

6. Anne Elliot goes from the family estate, Kellynch Hall, to her sister's cottage at Uppercross, and the Musgrave house there.  How are the  environments different?  How are the three sisters different?

DLs:   PatH & JoanK  

JoanK

• BooksDL
Re: Persuasion by Jane Austen ~ October Book Club Online
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 04:14:22 PM »
Welcome to the gentle world of Jane Austen, where the stirring events of early 19th century England provide only a distant background to a quieter sphere of privilege -- although not necessarily of wealth and privilege. Quieter, but not less dramatic than the noisier outside world. For beneath the concerns of who will dance with whom, lie the same eternal questions of how to survive and how best to live ones life.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 05:56:32 PM »
Welcome to all.  This is one of my favorite books, and I'm delighted to have a chance to share it with friends.  All of us, whether we're reading it for the first time or the tenth, will see new things and get new ideas from each other.   This is going to be fun.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 12:01:01 AM »
What enticing introductions to Persuasion!  I've read Persuasion several times and have seen several of the TV adaptations. I'm looking forward to reading it again and participating in the discussion with everyone.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 04:25:35 PM »
WELCOME MARCIE! Another Austenfile? Yes, Austen repays many rereadings.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 02:00:50 AM »
oh yes. I love Jane Austen!

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 09:52:06 AM »
Ahhh, Persuasion!  Count me in!  I read it only once - and that time, I read it way too fast.  Remember when we did Karen Joy Fowler's Jane Austen Book Club?  Each of the six  chapters a modernized story of each of Austen's books.  We read one chapter of Fowler's book a week - and during those six weeks, I read the corresponding Austen novel along with Fowler's version.  It was fun - but way too fast.

Count me in!  I'm so happy to see this discussion in the hands of our two very  Austenized discussion leaders - PatH and JoanK.  Aren't we so fortunate?

Frybabe

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 11:47:01 AM »
I expect to be here too. I haven't read it, but have seen the TV movie.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 04:06:16 PM »
JOANP, FRY: WELCOME WELCOME! This will be fun!

salan

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 06:07:09 PM »
Just ordered Persuasion.  Free on Kindle.  I haven't read this book since my college days; so am looking forward to reading/discussing it again.
Sally

mabel1015j

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 12:04:11 PM »
Oct will be a busy time for me, but i'm going to try to join you. Going to the library today, so will get the book and maybe the movie. Glad to know i can get it on my ipad - my NEW ipad2 just came this morning!!!

Jean

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 03:06:07 PM »
SALAN, JEAN: WELCOME!

Yes, I have it free too. Isn't technology wonderful! JEAN: don't get so busy playing with your new toy that you forget to post in SeniorLearn! :D

mabel1015j

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 12:07:47 PM »
Good advice Joan, i love my new toy!  :)

This article about a JA ring came in my women's history newsletter this morning. Check out the "related stories" links at the bottom of the story.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-23664433

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 12:51:33 PM »
This one is interesting as well. Jane Austen will be on the new 10 pound note.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23424289

Apparently, England changes the figures on their notes frequently. I wonder how long the current figures have been on the US money?

bellamarie

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 02:04:09 PM »
I just so happen to have a compilation of Austen's books, 4 in one, (Pride And Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, Emma and Persuasion)  My first time ever reading Austen is when I purchased this book and read Sense and Sensibility.  I must say she sure does use an awful lot of words to describe a man, that I suppose I could condense into just one or two words.  :)  It did take me awhile to adapt to the style of her writing and speaking in the book.  Keeping the characters straight as to who was who, and who went with whom was a bit of a challenge for me also.  I finally got a pen and paper and started taking notes.  I thoroughly enjoyed Marianne and John Willoughby's relationship and found myself laughing out loud so many times in the book.  I am looking forward to reading Persuasion and discussing it with our group.   Count me in!

Jean, A new ipad2!!!  How exciting!!  I began teaching Apple computers to grades K - 8 in my Catholic school back in 1983.  My principal, Sr. Myra and I began our very first computer lab.  We called it our baby.  I taught for 15 yrs., and love technology of all sorts.  I just went to see the new movie that came out this summer "Jobs" and had also read a book on Steve Jobs, prior to seeing the movie.  The movie was very accurate and I was as thrilled to watch Steve Jobs excitement as he saw the first Apple computers come out of their boxes, as I was when I would get the new Apple computers for my lab.  I have yet to own an ipad, even though I HAD to have one of the first ipods when they first came out, and believe it or not mine still works!  I got my iphone a few years ago and am hoping to get an ipad when I can justify it to my hubby.  ;)  He knows how much I love technology, but the cost still isn't justifiable since I just purchased a new laptop last year.  Ughhh....please let me know how you like your new toy!!!  One of Steve Jobs goals in making the ipod, ipad, and iphone was to get people to LOVE them so much so they could not part from them, or put them down.  I would say, mission accomplished!!  I only wish he could have lived another decade, so I could see what he would have come up with next.  :(

Can't wait for Oct 1st to begin the discussion.

Ciao for now~
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2013, 04:47:58 PM »
Bellamarie, it's great you'll be with us.  I think you will enjoy it.  It's not as funny as Sense and Sensibility--more serious and thoughtful--but just as likeable.  She has a wonderful way of painting her characters with deadly accuracy.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2013, 04:55:51 PM »
I got an iPad mini for travel; I'm using it now, sitting in JoanK's living room.  I still have issues with the touch screen.  My fingertips are too dry or something.  And there is no manual, and I only got a quick ten minute orientation in using it, I'm still figuring out how to do things.  But I like it, and it fits easily in my purse.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2013, 08:28:20 PM »
I envy you iPad owners! Pat, there are manuals for the iPad online. See http://support.apple.com/manuals/

mabel1015j

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2013, 10:10:01 PM »
Bellmarie - i am not a great techie person, in fact when we got our cd player, i said "I'm not buying this unless you promise there is not something newer coming out in 6 months!" However, we were celebrating our grandson's birthday in Aug 2010, the whole family was here and the first ipad's commercial came on tv. I said, "now that's something i might like to have." On Labor Day our kids were here for a cookout and our dgt said to our son, "why don't you get that package out of your car." He came back and handed me an Apple bag, and inside was an ipad - first generation! It was my birthday present from the whole family, even though my birthday wasn't til Oct!!! Might be the best present i ever got. I have LOVED it! It's like having a library on my lap, not just the books, but all the world's information!!! I don't have an iphone, but i can text and receive messages from our kids who have iphones. They won't answer phone CALLS immediately, but they do respond to text msgs quickly.

Our first computer in the 80's was an Apple IIE because my husband was vp at a college which had ordered them and we could piggyback on their order for a good price. So i learned my first computer skills and commands that made SO much sense on that pc. Then i went to work for Dept of Army and had to learn IBM's commands which made NO sense! ;D

So, now i have the second generation ipad, primarily because it was such a good buy and it has a keyboard in the case and a stylus - which i love, not so many finger marks on the screen - and earphones and a car charger and is thinner and lighter weight. This one was my birthday present to myself!

Bellmarie - check the Apple store for refurbished 1st or second generation ipads. Even new ipad2's are $399 at the Apple Store. I got this package from QVC. The package was $499. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a good price on just the ipad. Keep your eyes on them. I'm not a QVC buyer, but i just happened to see them pitching this, like it was made to be. TIC ;D

Jean

bellamarie

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2013, 10:12:45 AM »
Jean, How wonderful of your family to surprise you with an ipad for an early birthday present!  It would indeed be the best present ever!!  Apple targeted the education field and was a huge success, their format was so easy and simple that even my Kindergartners could manipulate the mouse and do the educational programs I taught. I attended many workshops and presentations throughout my years teaching computers, and Apple cornered the schools and gave them contracts to where they could actually rent the computers for a certain amount of years, and then renew their contracts by replacing the old ones with the newer models.  One time I needed to call a tech support guy out and he seriously sat there and gave me a complete instructional demonstration on how to trouble shoot and repair a computer.  That served to be invaluable to our school, since I no longer needed to call for tech support, saving our school hundreds of dollars.  Now, I just wish I would have followed the advice of that tech guy many moons ago and purchased stock in Apple back then.  I sometimes shudder at how ignorant youth can be.  If only I could go back to 1983 and know then what I know now.  Like my adult children tried telling me back then, "Mom you have a skill very few have, not even our High School teachers know as much about computers as you do, so why are you still working at Regina Coeli elementary making so little of an income with no benefits when you could be in a high school or college teaching computer classes."  I did a workshop at a local college and taught basic computers to High School teachers and didn't even get paid for that.  Back then I was just honored the Diocese chose me. Ughhhh......what's that they say about "hindsight?"   :'(

$499 is not a bad price for your package deal.  Thank you for the info.  I have the first nook color and am able to have my library of books on that, and it does everything a computer does except.....word processing.  My hope is to own an ipad that has word processing apps.  Once word processing/office apps are available...NO MORE Laptop for me. Although I have not been able to part with my mouse even with the laptop.  It's like a baby giving up her pacifier. I refuse to wean myself of the ease and comfort of this mouse.  I like the idea of PatH's mini travel ipad.  My nook color is the same size as a Kindle Fire, which is big enough to manipulate but smaller and lighter than a laptop.  As I get older I do resist change and learning new techie things, and just programming my Gateway Home entertainment with Buckeye Cable causes me anxiety.  But if we are going to live among the ever changing world of technology, we must jump in and keep our feet wet.  I resisted PC forever because of teaching Apple computers, and once I opened my in home day care and continued to teach to my day care kids, I finally broke down and bought a PC.  Oh my the difference was a nightmare for me, now all I have ever owned is HP.

You have definitely gotten me excited to own an ipad one day.

Ciao for now~
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

mabel1015j

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2013, 01:14:33 PM »
I didn't even mention that it has a camera which takes pretty good pictures and video w/ sound! :D

Are you sure there is not an app for word processing?

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2013, 02:24:19 PM »
My mini takes very good pictures too (no flash) but the ones it takes of me are justice without mercy.

bellamarie

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2013, 10:45:59 PM »
I have not heard of any Word Processing apps for the ipad as of yet.  I was talking to my Verizon agent and he said he is sure they will in the near future.  I had a great idea, they could make the next ipad with word processing and call it ipute!  I told my hubby I am going to put a patent on that name and send it to Apple.

Wow a camera and video on both the reg and mini ipad.  So I would not have to carry around my digital camera any more.  That would be great especially with no flash.  PatH, You are beautiful and trust me, its ALL you!

I started reading Pride and Prejudice today to warm up to Jane Austen's writing style.  This book is cracking me up.  Elizabeth sure is a stinker and oh Mr. Darcy, who does he think he is fooling?  lol

Ciao for now~

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2013, 12:05:05 AM »
Here is a link to Open Word Processor for the iPad
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/open-word-processor-document/id523501455?mt=8

Here is a 2012 article on other word processors that work on an iPad.
http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/top_apps_for_word_processing_on_the_ipad

mabel1015j

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2013, 11:05:59 AM »
Thanks for those links Marcie, my dgt was just talking about what she could do with documents on her work ipad.

Jean

bellamarie

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2013, 01:13:06 PM »
Oh my heavens!!!  Thank you so much for providing this information Marcie. I will have to go check these out and have a talk with my Verizon friend/agent.  I fear he has been discouraging me away from Apple products by misinforming me that my iphone does not have the google speak app, like the Droid when in fact it does. With technology changing on a daily basis, I guess I better stay more up to date.  My grand daughter just this morning showed me at the volleyball game that my iphone will accept the ios 7 app that just came out yesterday.

So, now an ipad may be in my near future!!!

Ciao for now~

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2013, 03:26:42 PM »
I've been trying to think of what foods we can munch on while we read Persuasion. The Austen characters don't seen to have tea (the meal, not the beverage) but they have something called "nuncheon" (sp?). Does anyone know what that is?

Come to think of it, Austen doesn't talk about food much. But that doesn't mean that we can't enjoy some.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2013, 06:32:34 PM »
Thought I would look up the kind of foods that were served during Regency England and found this fascinating site - the history of foods http://www.foodtimeline.org/index.html

Looks like we would be safe suggesting lady fingers as a sweet.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2013, 10:10:31 PM »
That's great, Barb. From your link, I went on, and found three Jane Austen cookbooks --including "Tea with Jane Austen."

It's not on kindle, but "The Jane Austen Book of Manners" is, and I got a sample. Expect some tips from me in the future!

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2013, 11:07:09 PM »
I was in Bath once - where Jane Austen lived for a while.  A number of her novels are set in Bath - Persuasion may have been one of them.  I went back to Bath to find this picture of the unforgettable Sally Lunn bun -

"Sally Lunn's is one of the oldest houses in Bath (c.1482) and serves the most famous local delicacy; the Original 'Sally Lunn' Bun. According to legend, Sally Lunn, a French refugee, arrived 1680 and established her bakery. Today Sally Lunn's serve a menu based on the world famous 'Sally Lunn' Bun during the day and are open for fine English food in the evening."

If we can't get to Bath in time to taste the bun, I did find the recipe - surprised it isn't kept secret...quite simple though...Jane must have slippped in for a bun - or two! 
Look - here's Jane in the Sally Lunn Bun shop
Did you find this recipe in the cook books, Joan?

Sally Lunn Buns
 (Makes 18 )

4 packed cups (20 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
 1/3 cup sugar
 2 1/4 teaspoons (1 package) instant yeast
 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
 4 large eggs
 1 cup milk

In medium bowl ( use a 2-quart glass measure), whisk together flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In small saucepan, melt butter.

With electric mixer, beat the eggs until fluffy and pale lemon yellow, about 5 minutes. Add the milk and beat until smooth, about 1 minute. By hand with a dough whisk or wooden spoon, add the flour mixture to the egg mixture in three additions, alternating with the melted butter and beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Cover with lid or plastic wrap. Place in refrigerator for at least 24 hours and up to three days.

About 2 1/4 hours before serving time, remove dough from refrigerator. Stir down the dough, just a few strokes, with a wooden spoon. With a 1/4-cup measure or scoop sprayed with cooking spray, scoop dough into well-greased or cooking-sprayed standard muffin tins. Lightly butter a sheet of plastic wrap and place, buttered side down, over the buns. Let rise until puffy but likely not doubled in volume, about 1 3/4 hours. During last 15 minutes, preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Uncover buns. Bake at 375 degrees about 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer tins to wire racks and let cool for 5 minutes. Turn the buns out of the tins onto the racks and serve warm or continue to cool before storing.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2013, 12:27:48 AM »
What a marvelous inviting photo - the white fine linen cloth makes me want to pull out one of mine and get busy baking now that it is a bit cooler - I bet it has been 40 or maybe even 50 years since I made a Sally Lunn.

Tip I learned the hard way - if a recipe is in a cookbook published before 1985 than be sure to find and use Cane Sugar since most of the sugar available is now made from corn and when cooking or baking it liquefies differently requiring a different proportion of flour.

There is also an advantage to using cake flour - for the last 100 years or so they usually bleach cake flour white with Chlorine Gas that should be listed on the side of the box - this process will allow the flour batter more rise and it will better distribute more evenly the butter or other fats in the recipe.

Seldom is chlorine gas used with all purpose flour - there are several ingredients that will do the job of whitening the flour including Ascorbic Acid or Peroxide or Potassium that oxidizes the grain, as in aging it getting rid of the natural yellow color. These whitening ingredients do not help or hurt a old recipe.

For awhile I was collecting old cookbooks that before 1900 were often a give away by an insurance company or printed up to be given when you purchased a black iron stove. Till I learned the differences in basic food stuff my trials turned an afternoon of high flying enthusiasm into dismal disappointments.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

bellamarie

« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2013, 08:03:18 PM »
I can just imagine us fine, ladies and gents in our book club sitting down at the wonderful table enjoying our buns and conversation.  Thank you JoanP for such a lovely picture to prelude our discussion.  Since the weather has gotten cooler in Ohio I have been making pumpkin recipes I have gotten off Facebook and Pintrest.  Made some yummy pumpkin filled crescent rolls for a family/friend party.  A great hit!   

Frybabe

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2013, 08:17:59 PM »
Oh Drool! Have a heart. I actually am trying to lose a little weight now that I have a little app for my Kindle to keep track. The Sally Lunn buns look absolutely delicious. I didn't know she from Bath.

Bath: That is were Mom and Dad first met. She was working as a maid at a hotel there. They discovered each other while walking along the Promenade. If she ever told us at which hotel she was employed, I surely don't remember. I've been looking at photos of Bath. What an interesting place.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2013, 08:20:43 PM »
Bellamarie, I really envy you, reading Pride and Prejudice for the first time.  But it's also good reading it for the tenth time, and more, so I hope your compilation is a hardback.  It really is funny.  Persuasion is more sober, but almost as good.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2013, 08:34:14 PM »
Frybabe, we were posting at the same time.  That's fascinating, how your parents met.  Which one was Welsh?  Or were both of them?

kidsal

• Howdy from Rock Springs, WY
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2013, 02:36:30 AM »
Pulled Persuasion off the shelf!

Loved Bath -- ate lunch at the restaurant near the baths.  Lovely piano music

Frybabe

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2013, 06:36:14 AM »
Mom was Welsh.

bellamarie

« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2013, 09:52:45 PM »
PatH,  I have to admit this book club has enriched me, and introduced me to many classics for the first time.  I feel like a baby chick among all you seasoned, intellects, and I am picking up all your little pieces of feed and nibbling on them.  So one day I can boast of knowledge and familiarity as all of you.  I have always been a hopeless romantic, so I fear I spent way too many years reading Danielle Steel novels and so many romantic or mystery authors.  Yes, my compilation of the 4 books in one is a hard cover, that I will cherish them, and hope my four grand daughters will treasure and read one day.

I am also reading The Good Earth with the book club and when I get too depressed or sad with our chapters, I stop and pick up Pride & Prejudice and allow myself the humor of Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy's banter back and forth.  

Frybabe, How wonderful to hear your parents met in Bath.  Sounds romantic!

Ciao for now~

JudeS

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2013, 01:29:24 AM »
Spent a whole day in Bath.
Fascinating place. Austen's residence was on a lovely street.
Read the book and saw the movie but ,like an old friend, I will be happy to make our acquaintance even deeper.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2013, 02:39:48 AM »
I always thought this was one of the sadder stories among the group. She does not seem to have a champion in her corner except the man she believed she had to refuse who quietly and tentatively remained in her corner. Responsibility was a sad life.