Author Topic: Persuasion by Jane Austen ~ October Book Club Online  (Read 33871 times)

bellamarie

Re: Persuasion by Jane Austen ~ October Book Club Online
« Reply #320 on: October 31, 2013, 07:15:06 PM »

The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome.

October Book Club Online

Persuasion by Jane Austen

“My idea of good company...is the company of clever, well-informed people, who have a great deal of conversation; that is what I call good company.'
'You are mistaken,' said he gently, 'that is not good company, that is the best.”
― Jane Austen, Persuasion

Come join us for the best company as we read this classic. Here, Austen abandons the young heroines of her earlier works and presents us with a fully mature woman who fears that her chance of happiness has already passed. Austen finished Persuasion just before her death at age 41. It is her last book, and some feel her best.

Discussion schedule:

Oct 1-7--Chapters 1-6
       Oct 8-12--Chapters 7-12
       Oct 13-18--Chapters 13-18 (Book 2, 1-6)
       Oct 19-?--Chapters 19-24 (Book 2, 7-12)

Some things to think about: Chapters 19-24 (Book 2, 7-12)

1. How does Austen maintain suspense in this last section? Did you feel it as you read? What did you feel?

2. Anne doesn't take action herself, but waits for others.  Why?

3. When Wentworth talks to Anne, she feels "agitation, pain, pleasure, a something between delight and misery." Have you ever felt like that? Under what circumstances?

4. Wentworth says "Bentwick is something more [than amiable, sweet-tempered and understanding]. He is a clever man, a reading man." But Charles says "His reading has done him no harm, for he has fought as well as read."Are we "something more" because we are reading people? Does it do us harm?

5. Why doesn't Mrs. Smith tell Anne what she knows at once?  Is this realistic?

6. [Women] "certainly do not forget you [men] as easily as you forget us. It is, perhaps, our fate rather than our merit." Do you agree?

7. In none of Austen's books does she write dialog declaring love. Why do you think this is? What did you think of the device Austen uses instead?

8. Is Anne too good to be true?

DLs:  PatH & JoanK 

What an interesting post Barb!  At my CCD class last night, Fr. Chris came in to talk to my 3rd graders about the Blessed Trinity, and faith.  We just happened to be discussing All Saints Day, since we had done our Saint project the week before.  I was explaining to my students how in Ireland and other far off lands, many years ago, Halloween was about All Hallow's Eve, the night before All Saint's Day, an event that occurred because, the people were frightened about saints coming to life, hence ghouls, ghosts and goblins.  The walking dead.....so anyway, Fr. Chris walks in, and hears part of our discussion, and he tells the children when he was a missionary in Angola, Africa, how there are actual witches, who would cast spells.  The students eyes just about popped out!!!  

I told my hubby on the way home from class, that I can only imagine what the parents will think, once the children go home tonight and tell their parents about Saints being thought of as, walking dead, and witches in Africa, casting spells.  lololol   I just hope they remember to tell about the Blessed Trinity and faith, which was the larger part of Fr. Chris's visit.

Jonathan, Sorry you won't be traveling to Lyme Regis with us, but then again, you never know who can be seen in the early morning mist on the ocean.  We will all look forward to you adding some kind of info as you follow along.  JoanK., I am already enjoying the search for fossils on the beach with Mary A. & Eliz.  It looks like it will be an interesting book.

Happy Halloween!!!! to all you ghosts, goblins and ghouls out there......our city postponed our trick or treat night due to heavy winds & rain.

Ciao for now~
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

Jonathan

« Reply #321 on: November 01, 2013, 05:54:34 PM »
LOL. Have you heard anything from the parents?

We had a great crowd of disguised kids come to the door last night. The scariest, and the most imposing. By herself and looking very regal in her long  gown and coronet, a pretty, 3-year old had a little difficulty coming up the steps. My wife does the shelling out and greeted her with the suggestion that steps might be a problem for a princess. The tot drew herself up with a fine, royal hauteur and the words, I not (sic) a princess, I'm a queen! My wife said she was about to do a curtsey, but her knees wouldn't allow it. The queen left happily with her double treat.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #322 on: November 02, 2013, 05:20:20 PM »
Long may she reign!

bellamarie

« Reply #323 on: November 02, 2013, 11:14:44 PM »
No, Jonathan.....not a word from any parents....YET!  So, the Queen has spoken!  how adorable that was, thanks for sharing.
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #324 on: November 04, 2013, 08:17:37 PM »
It's time to archive this discussion.  Thank you all for such a good time.