Author Topic: Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier ~ Nov. Book Club Online ~ Prediscussion  (Read 13251 times)

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome.

November Book Club Online

Beginning on Nov. 1

Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier

In Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier brings to our attention, two historical figures, telling their tale in two distinct voices. Mary Anning is the young one, the uneducated girl with the uncanny gift of finding fossils, (the origin of the tongue-twister "She Sells Sea Shells on the Sea Shore.")

It is the older woman whose voice dominates the novel, another historical character, a middle-class spinster sent away by a married brother to live more cheaply in England's coastal village of Lyme Regis.  To Jane Austen's readers, she will sound familiar.

Both women played a key role in understanding the earth with their discoveries, though not without controversy, at a time when there was no place for women in science. This  is  the story of their friendship which allowed them to stand together and prevail as they challenged the thinking of the day.
DISCUSSION SCHEDULE:  
        November 1-8    Chapters 1-3
Related Links:
Video ~ Tracy Chevalier on Writing Remarkable Creatures ;

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Re: Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier FOR DLS FIRST POSTS ONLY
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 12:45:15 PM »
Oh this should be interesting - a blend of fact and fiction based on two historical women, living in the same fishing village of Lyme Regis during Jane Austen's time!  There are records that Jane visited here, even danced in the Lyme Regis Assembly Room!  This is really a happy coincidence - as we are currently reading her Persuasion, where her character Anne Elliot spent some time as well.

Jane writes to her sister of the Lyme Regis Assembly Rooms:
"Lyme has a small Assembly-Room, Card-Room and Billiard-Table all conveniently ranged under one roof ; and had the Library been joined to it, all the amusements which the place can furnish would have been comprised in one building. The situation for this edifice is happily chosen, as it commands a charming marine view as far as the Isle of Portland, eight leagues off, and the interior is compact and well arranged. Magnificence is not essential to enjoyment: often more happiness is found in a cottage than in a palace; and the rooms at Lyme frequently exhibit as cheerful countenance as are to be seen at Bath or Brighton."

Please plan on joining us along with young Mary Anning and Elizabeth Philpot when we will spend November at the beach!  Welcome everyone!

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 01:29:25 PM »
I've only started the book and already I come away with realizing how young women during the time of the George's can create a full life when they are considered socially past the age of marriage.

Jane Austin writes how elegance, manners and status defined by wealth hold a story and lives together where as, in this book by Tracy Chevalier we learn how curiosity, knowledge and practiced skills give meaning to the lives of those who are not destined for a weekend stay at a country house or a tastefully decorated pied-à-terre in Bath.

The miles of beach at Lyme Regis on the west coast of Britain are filled with all sorts of wonders and I cannot wait till we get together and share what it is all about. I found my copy on Amazon for a penny plus shipping however, Chevalier is popular so I would think the library would have a copy of two.

I wonder if the three unmarried Philpot sisters were able to eke out of their monthly stipends some elderberry wine to offer their guests?

Let's meet over, popular at the time, a glass of elderberry wine and talk about our upcoming trip to Lyme Regis scheduled for November 1.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 06:13:53 PM »
I've always loved the ocean and collecting shells. I don't know much about fossils though, so I look forward to learning more and talking with all of you about these women's roles in science and in challenging the thinking of their time.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 02:04:47 PM »
Well, I have read JoanP's post and BarbStAubrey's and was kind of bowled over!  We have visited Lyme Regis!  I have two fossils displayed on my bookshelves from there.  I have a photo or two of the area.  One of my fossils marked:

Fossil Amonite -An extinct form of marine Cephalopod similar to the Nautilus--Aprox.160-180 million years old.The Ammonites were so named
after the shape of the Rams Horn on the God of Ammon.
People once thought they were coiled up snakes turned to stone by magic.
This is the fossil on the left.

and the second is marked:

ORTHOCEEAS-ATLAS MOUNTAINS OF MOROCCO-DEVONIAN AGE
APROX. 370 MIL YRS OLD
This is the Black on the right!

We did not walk on the beach there, just at Chessill Beach which is down the way from Lyme.  I wonder if anyone here knows that what the English call a beach is not always sand and Chessill consisted of thousands of small rocks.  Hurts your bottom to sit on it but many people were laying out on their towels, sunbathing!

I can't wait to start this book!  Finally some women are going to be recognized  for their discoveries of ancient fossils.  

I left a post somewhere about women who weren't recognized for their work and discoveries.  Thank goodness we have a Women's Hall of Fame in upstate New York.  There are I believe 6 more women being honored for their expertise in many genres in October.  Here's link:  http://www.greatwomen.org

We had a Dominican nun here at Dominican College in Columbus, OH, who helped write the recipe for making retreaded tires during WW11. Never have seen much about that.

At the Hall of Fame, there is a lady chemist who helped develop the Smallpox vaccination but only the men on her team were given recognition.

My daughter and I visited the Women's Hall of Fame about 25 years ago and were so impressed by the accomplishments that were exhibited there.

"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
Re: Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier ~ November Book Club Online
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 04:44:37 PM »
Thanks for the help, JoanP., with the picture.  It looks much better right side up. :D

I also hope that all who sign in, will read Joan's link.  That's a real gem!
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

bellamarie

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 08:10:59 PM »
I have never read any of Tracy Chevalier's books, but am excited to participate.  I am finishing up Pride & Prejudice and am beginning Persuasion with Oct.'s discussion, along with Pearl S. Buck's "Sons"........so save me a spot for Nov.!

Ciao for now~
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 08:49:12 PM »
You got it Bellamarie - a nice group of stories this fall aren't they - from pre-Communism China to pre-Victoria England.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

kidsal

• Howdy from Rock Springs, WY
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 02:46:53 AM »
YES

Steph

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 08:36:10 AM »
Sounds interesting. AFter I get home, will look for the book.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 11:14:34 AM »
Steph, kidsal, Bellamarie - happy to hear you will be joining us!  Welcome!

Do you call fictionalized biography "historical fiction"?  I'm not sure.  This will be interesting on several different levels.

Marcie
, I love to collect shells too - maybe we're picking up fossils.   Do you bring them home?  What do you do with all those shells?  I know this sounds silly - but are fossils just old, old shells?

Annie, what brought you to Lyme Regis and nearby Chessil Beach?  I suppose you had to wear shoes to walk the stoney beach -  Who identified your finds for you?   I'll bet we could go over there and do some serious fossil-seeking - if you left any behind for us, that is! 

Do you watch the PBS program - Doc Martin?  The village of Port Isaac in Cornwall looks so inviting.  I wondered far it is from Lyme-Regis...not far - a two hour drive.  Can you see them on this map? - Port Isaac is A and Lyme Regis is B-
Google map between Port Isaac, Cornwall (A) and Lyme-Regis (B)  

or

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 09:32:42 PM »
Joan,
We spent 2 weeks in England back in the '90's, 1 week in London, and the other in a B&B in Dorset.  The owners not only fed us, but took us anywhere we wanted go and also planned much sightseeing on the way.  That's how we got to Chessil Beach and Lyme Regis.  We bought our fossils at the Lyme Fossil Shop.

Yes, we wore shoes on the beach, wouldn't you?  ;) ;)

I looked at your map and it sounds doable.  We could stay in that same B&B and have the husband take us wherever we want to go.  This man was also a historian and he knew much about every place we went.  Very entertaining.  As it turns out, there are offers like this almost any place you tour.  I have friends who went to Ireland and hired a driver to get them where they wanted to visit.  Of course, its not free!  And you pay for the driver's hotel/motel every night.  But if you get the right guy, you come home with lots of history in your mind and can reminisce about your trip forever.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2013, 10:14:41 PM »
JoanP, I had never thought about seashells being fossils. Good question! There is an informative discussion about that exact question in a "Fossil Forum" at http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/1180-seashells-and-fossils/

I still have the "ordinary" sea shells (sand dollars, etc) that I collected as a child on beaches in the San Francisco bay area. Most of those beaches don't have sea shells anymore. I also have a basket of some shells that people have given me as gifts. I also have a large framed poster of a Georgia O'Keefe shell painting. See http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVUoD9EHNdY/SYtPhAqN4XI/AAAAAAAAFR8/yG84Vxzxkfk/s400/georgia-okeeffe-seashell-painting-1938.jpg

Even though my shells aren't fossils, I like their connection to nature and the ocean.

salan

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2013, 04:55:34 AM »
I ordered my book from Amazon .99 plus shipping.  My ddh and I visited Lyme Regis a number of years back.  I need to look up my travel log & see where we stayed & what we saw.  I remember trying to walk the beach, but a cold north wind sent me scurrying back to the car.
Sally

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 09:08:51 AM »
Salan, Do you remember the Lyme Fossil Shop?  Did you buy any fossils?  We had such a beautiful day there, lots of sun and puffy clouds and somewhere during our ride, our guide pointed out Jane Austen's little village of Alton and the museum of Austen memorabilia which had been Chawton Cottage after 1809 and where she did all her writing.  The cottage was replaced with the museum in 1889, according to a book we used to choose some of the places that we visited. She didn't live very far from Lyme Regis.

Wow, JoanP, Now that we are speaking of England, I could use a 4th trip there!  Well, not in my plans right now.
How about in September of 2014?  or June?  That can be best month for England!  Actually, we arrived in late June and left in July.  We had only one day of rain and it was light rain and we were being chauffeured to our B&B that day.  

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2013, 11:44:02 AM »
Sally - so glad you are joining us! Your book was a real bargain...lucky you.  And you have also visited - and walked the same beach (well, almost) as Mary Anning! Had you ever heard of her before?  Was her name prominent - or at least mentioned in Lyme Regis?  I wonder if there are still Anning's living there.  (We'll have to look them up when we visit, Annie.)
I'd never heard of her before, though of course familiar with the tongue twister..."she sells seashells..."  Didn't know "she" had a name!

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2013, 11:58:35 AM »
Marcie...thanks for the link explaining the difference between fossils and the seashells I've been picking up. 

"For one of those seashells to become a fossil it must undergo a process of being buried, and its original material being replaced by mineralisation/petrification etc

The seashells you find on a beach are almost always modern (bar a few exceptions when offshore deposits, or cliff exposures have washed them onto the beach) sometimes it is easy to find out whether your shells are a fossil, obviously if you find some that have rock attatched or they are surrounded by rock (the matrix) if you are still unsure whether your shells are fossils or not, you can consult a paleontologist at a museum or uni, or you can find information from a local library about the modern seashells from the area and compare the ones you found, if you cant find a modern one it may infact be a fossil...."

It seems I haven't been shelling on the right beaches...too sandy, not rocky enough.
I 'm trying to picture your house with that bold Georgia O'Keefe on your wall - another side of California Marcie revealed!

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2013, 10:41:47 PM »
I wonder if all the shells and snail shells we dig up are fossils or simply shells buried in our limestone loaded soil. We are on the edge of the Edward's Plateau where ancient rivers gushed and the sea level from the Gulf met them banging into the Edward's Plateau - not as many now - they were so prolific I never thought to save any - with almost 50 years of gardening and tilling there are very few shells popping up as compared to the 1960s when we moved into what was a new house.

Winchesterlady

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2013, 11:20:43 PM »
Today I read all of these posts on Tracy Chevalier's book, Remarkable Creatures.  I will be reading here again after Nov. 1 to see what everyone has to say.  I already have a copy of the book, but don't know if I'll join the discussion...I'm not very good at keeping to reading one book and will probably slip behind.

This evening while reading some of the book blogs that I follow, I came upon a mention of a YouTube video of Tracy Chevalier where she discusses her writing of this book and shows you where she writes.  I thought you all might find it interesting.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CiJEbfYNh9E&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DCiJEbfYNh9E
~ Carol ~

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2013, 11:38:30 PM »
what a great bit of sharing - love the youtube video thanks.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2013, 11:04:33 PM »
Lady Winchester...I too loved the video...the author in the cosy little room in the back of the house, the walls painted to match the book, her own fossil collection...  Thank you!  I hope you can look in from time to time. We'd love to hear from you!

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
WinchesterLady,I just watched your link and truly enjoyed seeing our author.  I wanted to pause it when she showed her fossil collection to see better!  So I am returning to watch it again!  Thanks for sharing your find.

Octavia

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2013, 08:52:08 PM »
 I would like to join the discussion. Booktopia have been constantly emailing me, trying to get me to buy more books. I've bought quite a few poetry books, because they're read over and over, but I've been trying to be strong re other kinds. Running out of space!
But I love reading about fossils and it's so long since I was in a discussion. I miss it. I need the
distraction too.
How fortunate that Booktopia have a 'no shipping charge offer' and a paperback copy for $14.95.
It must be fate. I love paperbacks, I'm not sure why. Of course if there's no shipping charge, it would be remiss of me not to add another book, or maybe 2, wouldn't it?
I must watch that utube video.
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance. Sir Terry Pratchett.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2013, 06:48:57 AM »
Welcome, Octavia!  Happy that you will be joining us in November!  Yes, do watch the video.  We'll move a link to the heading at the top of each page so you won't have to hunt for it. 

bellamarie

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2013, 01:42:13 PM »
Went to the library today and got the book.  I am looking forward to November's discussion.  Thank you WinchesterLady for the link!

After viewing the video of TC I thought how she says she changes the small little room so it will give her the feel of the novel she is writing.  I am such a person who hates change, that I can not imagine redoing a room for each new novel, although I loved seeing her room and getting the feel for the novel.  When she said she looks at the pictures on the wall when describing the characters and the place Maryann lived, I was a bit confused.  If she is inventing these characters for her novel, where would she get pictures of the people?  Is she using people she knows to be her characters in the book?  Oh my, I hope I don't sound horribly ridiculous in asking this.

Ciao for now~
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2013, 02:49:06 PM »
Bellamarie,  Confused? Mary Anning and her friend, Elizabeth Philpot and their amazing finds are the subject of this Historical Fiction.  Maybe reading the links below will help you become unconfused and enjoying the book.

Here is Wikipedia's description of that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_fiction

And another:

http://www.k12.hi.us/~gfujimur/eschool/historical_fiction/characteristics.htm

And there's always "Goodreads" opinion.

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/465433-what-is-historical-fiction

Steph

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2013, 01:27:00 PM »
Got my copy of the book. My granddaughter and I will be in London in late May 2014.. part of her graduation present..

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2013, 05:58:06 PM »
A trip of a lifetime, Steph!  What an adventure! Will it be just the two of you? 

Octavia

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2013, 04:15:50 AM »
I have my book, and have just put it down, very reluctantly, because of sore eyes, and the stray cat Trev asking querulously, if he was getting tea tonight. It doesn't take long for a stray cat to go from grateful thanks, to 'am I having that again?'
I was thinking of taking my laptop down to Brisbane so I could follow the discussion, but it's a big laptop, quite heavy, and my joints are damaged.
Already, there's the odd person I'd like to give a good shaking.
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance. Sir Terry Pratchett.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2013, 12:24:04 PM »
Oh Octavia - how maddening - are you gone for only a few days the first part of November - we seldom share page by page and within the week's chapters there is often carry over - It may not be quite as satisfying but when you can post why not post all your thoughts even if repeating some pages we had discussed since a fresh pair of eyes makes it a joy for all of us.

Feeling bad is a nuisance to put it mildly and I hope reading the story will help to get your mind someplace other than how low you are feeling.

kidsal

• Howdy from Rock Springs, WY
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2013, 02:06:42 AM »
Google Earth show photos of fossils and cliffs between Lyme Regis and Charmouth.  Steep cliffs

Octavia

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2013, 02:30:32 AM »
I return on the 4th of November, so I'll be back on line on the 5th November. It won't take long to catch up, but as I said, it's like missing the first day of school.
I've just booked my tickets online, and all the time I was on hold, I was reading the book. I couldn't put it down.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2013, 12:16:48 PM »
Octavia, just take your book...leave heavy laptop at home!  We all need a break from the Internet now and then - the pause that refreshes.    When you return you'll be rarin' to go!  I hope you found a good caretaker for that demanding kitty!  :D

Kidsal - those cliffs full of fossils have my attention these days.  I understood that they date from the Jurassic Era...but had no idea what that meant.  I've looked it up and now know  the Jurassic Era was 206 to 144 Million Years Ago.  I still can't imagine such numbers!

Lyme Regis is located in West Dorset...I found this:
"The spectacular Jurassic Coast in Dorset and East Devon is England's first natural World Heritage Site. One fo the natural wonders of the world.  You'd think there'd be a law about picking up these ancient fossils and walking off with them.  Can you put a $ sign on their worth?  Thousands walk the beach at Lyme Regis...a wonder there is anything left to pick up.  I guess you need to carry a little hammer with you when you go.

I wondered where Jurassic rock can be found in my neighborhood...found this "little" map (green markings=Jurassic rock):

"

Geologic activity since the Jurassic has covered up or removed many of these rocks around North America. Exposures of Jurassic rocks in the U.S. can be found in the Cascade Mountains, Sierra Nevada, Rocky Mountains, Texas, and states east of the Appalachian Mountains. Jurassic outcrops are rare in Mexico, but do occur in scattered areas in all four regions of the country. Jurassic rocks are also found in several Canadian provinces, particularly in the western part of the country.

Octavia

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2013, 10:37:30 PM »
I will leave the laptop behind Joan,  I'm going to travel light. My joints are going to be tested enough, trekking around that huge, damn hospital!
I've lately read At The Loch Of The Green Corrie and Greig says 'these reddish sandstones date from over a billion years after the Lewisian Gneiss they sit on. The Laurentia continent that included Assynt drifted over the Earth's mantle from the South Pole to the Equator .
The Jurassic period left partial fossils of dinosaur in Skye, no distance from here. The drift continued to roughly where N. America is now.'
He's in Western Scotland, where the poet Norman MacCaig spent a lot of his time.
He later writes that  England and Scotland met, consolidated, and split from N. America and moved to the East as the Atlantic Ocean opened up.
He says 'the ground I sit on(Assynt) this morning, has rafted across much of the globe, and this small part of Scotland is probably the most travelled landmass on our planet'

When people talk in billions of years, my head spins, and I start to feel so tiny and insignificant, I can't seem to ground myself anymore. I'm just a blink of an eyelid, not even that.
Somewhere I read the no. of people alive today, as compared to the total that has gone before us, and how our being alive right now, is the greatest miracle we could ever have.
I feel it, and for a while I feel blessed, then I get caught up again in the minutiae of my daily life :)

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2013, 03:36:59 PM »
I read remarkable creatures when someone first mentioned it here, and loved it. And the coincidence of reading it right after Persuasion is too much! I'd love to join.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2013, 03:44:53 PM »
That's great, JoanK!  Happy to hear you're on the way.  A remarkable coincidence that we are gathering in Lyme Regis right after Anne Elliot was there.  I'd love to try to affix a date to the time Mary Anning was selling seashells on that seashore and Anne was walking the beach, collecting - who knows what.

The Philpot girls moved to Lyme in 1805...I believe Mary Anning was 12 years old at this time.  Can you figure what year Anne Elliot of Persuasion was said to be in Lyme?

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2013, 04:56:58 PM »
I believe 1814. I'll double check. That would make Mary Anning 21.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2013, 05:20:13 PM »
1814 is right.

Here is the only contact I have been able to find. Mary Anning's father was a cabinet maker, whom evidently the Austen's dealt with. Jane Austen wrote:

"I have written to Mr Pyne on the subject of the broken Lid: it was valued by Anning here we were told at five shillings and as that appeared to us beyond he value of all the furniture in the room together We have referred ourselves to the Owner"

It is a shame that social class differences would have kept these two remarkable women from knowing each other.

Steph

« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2013, 08:54:02 AM »
Got the book. air conditioning fixed, tile floor laid and completed. Now a oven door wont close.. I am cursed.. Oh well. I have the book and will forge on.

bookad

« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2013, 12:09:39 PM »
hello there

able to find a copy of the book at the N. Fort Myers library; book caught my eye as thought it was about animals, but looking thru the book looks like an interesting read....am not the best as far as contributing to discussions,  but count me in as to reading along

Deb
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wildflower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.