Author Topic: December Holiday Open House  (Read 23825 times)

PatH

• BooksDL
Re: December Holiday Open House
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2013, 11:23:05 PM »
    December Holiday Open House

Come celebrate the holidays with us...
    -  share some of your favorite seasonal  books, as well as those you have enjoyed this year.    Do you give books as gifts?  How do you choose the perfect gift for those on your list?

- we'll also get into that holiday spirit starting off with a very short   Christmas Cozy Mystery* - (available for free online )

*A "cozy mystery" usually takes place in a small, picturesque town or village, with characters.  Cozies don't usually involve a lot of gory details or explicit "adult situations." The guilty parties are usually not zany people, although an eccentric or two might lurk here and there.  On the whole, they are usually normal, every day characters you might have known at one time in your life."

For our second story, we've selected Arthur Conan Doyle's The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle, a Sherlock Holmes mystery (just 10 short pages)

Your thoughts?

Holmes is brought a man’s felt hat by a policeman. What are some of the remarkable claims that Sherlock deduces about the man who owns the hat?

The evidence against the plumber, John Horner, regarding the theft of the blue carbuncle, was so strong that the case has been referred to the Assizes. What do you know about the Assizes?

What do you think of the two descriptions of the blue carbuncle? Do you know anything about gems and what it could be?
       He held out his hand and displayed upon the centre of the palm a brilliantly scintillating blue stone, rather smaller than a bean in size, but of such purity and radiance that it twinkled like an electric point in the dark hollow of his hand.

"It's a bonny thing," said he. "Just see how it glints and sparkles. Of course it is a nucleus and focus of crime. Every good stone is. They are the devil's pet baits. In the larger and older jewels every facet may stand for a bloody deed. This stone is not yet twenty years old. It was found in the banks of the Amoy River in southem China and is remarkable in having every characteristic of the carbuncle, save that it is blue in shade instead of ruby red. In spite of its youth, it has already a sinister history. There have been two murders, a vitriol-throwing, a suicide, and several robberies brought about for the sake of this forty-grain weight of crystallized charcoal. Who would think that so pretty a toy would be a purveyor to the gallows and the prison?

What are some of the other details of the case that interest you?

What do you think of Sherlock’s letting "the suspect" go . . . during the “season of forgiveness?”

What are some of Arthur Conan Doyle’s descriptions or phrases in this story that you found interesting or humorous?

What are some of the characteristics of Sherlock Holmes that you noticed in this story?

Have you seen any film/tv adaptations of this story?

Happy Holidays, everyone!
    [/list]

PatH

• BooksDL
    « Reply #41 on: December 05, 2013, 11:23:46 PM »
    Pedln, I didn't get to Powell's this time, but I've been there many times.  They take up a whole city block, with confusing multi-levels that add up to two or more stories of books.  They shelve the used books along with the new, so you can see all your options for a particular title at once.  And in spite of being so large, they have the serendipity quality you associate with smaller stores.  I have to try to control myself, since I will be taking my books home in my luggage, but many a time I've mailed books home to myself.  Definitely not a standardized layout--more the typical Portland style of reclaimed from grunge (it was in an area just being reclaimed from warehouse/commercial at the time it started, now more mainstream).

They have a coffee shop, but if you prefer you can walk a block to the Ace Hotel and get a cup of Stumptown Coffee at one of their stores.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
    • Keep beauty alive...
      • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
    « Reply #42 on: December 06, 2013, 02:11:58 AM »
    Two days of helping my friend who is now 94 and her allergy turned into an infection. She is OK tonight and I am back home. We are both battened down expecting freezing rain and sleet before dawn. Made a big pot of chicken soup that was a treat for both of us - I have in past years stuffed the inside of a whole chicken with chunked up apples and add my home made herb combo that gave it just the right flavor without over powering the pot.

I have growing thyme, rosemary, marjorium, parsley. After hanging them to dry I pulverize in the small processor adding whole black and white peppercorns that in future I think I will grind separately and then add the ground pepper to the mixture. Anyhow it is a great thick soup with enough for several more meals.

Our story - I loved reading about the pudding mould - the description had me seeing pictures of a large warm kitchen, a big wooden table and some pine and holly placed at the windows and on top of the cupboard. I love reading about cookware even more than reading about recipes.
    “A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
    • Keep beauty alive...
    « Reply #43 on: December 06, 2013, 02:23:59 AM »
    Could this be it - so close - is Kings Lacey a bit of a change up for the story - is this the lovely old house of our story - I am thinking it is... the lovely - Kingston Lacy -
    http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/kingston-lacy/

Can you see this dining table in Kingston Lacy set for the Christmas diner in our story?

“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

ginny

• Administrator
    « Reply #44 on: December 06, 2013, 08:41:56 AM »
    Oh is that not the most atmospheric thing! I never thought to try to find the namesake of the story, Barbara, and it could very well  be.  Christie was known for loving houses, she knew and described them so well, it's one of the things I like about her. Just reading your entire post made me think of  Scott and the poem I like to read at Christmas so I thought I'd stick it in, sorry if it breaks the spell: (maybe it will add to it):

Heap On More Wood The Wind Is Chill

Words: Sir Walter Scott (1771-1832)

Heap on more wood! the wind is chill;
    But let it whistle as it will,
    We'll keep our Christmas merry still,
    We'll keep our Christmas merry still,
    Each age has deem'd the new-born year
    The fittest time for festal cheer;
    And well our Christian sires of old
    Lov'd when the year its course had roll'd.

2. On Christmas Eve the bells were rung
    On Christmas Eve the Mass was sung
    That only night in all the year
    Saw the stoled priest the chalice rear.
    The damsel donn’d her kirtle sheen;
    The hall was dress'd with holly green
    Forth to the wood did merry men go
    To gather in the mistletoe.

3. Then open’d wide the baron’s hall
    To vassal, tenant, serf and all
    Power laid his rod of rule aside,
    And ceremony doff’d his pride.
    All hail’d, with uncontroll’d delight
    And general voice, the happy night,
    That to the cottage, as the crown,
    Brought tidings of salvation down.

4. The fire, with well-dried logs supplied,
    Went roaring up the chimney wide;
    The huge hall-table's oaken face,
    Scrubb’d till it shone, the day to grace,
    Bore then upon its massive board
    No mark to part the squire and lord.
    Then the grim boar’s head frown’d on high,
    Crested with bays and rosemary.

5. The wassel round, in good brown bowls,
    Garnish'd with ribbons, blithely trowls;
    There the huge sirloin reek'd; hard by
    Plum-porridge stood, and Christmas pie.
    Then came the merry masquers in,
    And carols roar'd with blithesome din:
    If unmelodious was the song,
    It was a hearty note and strong.

6. England was Merry England, when
    Old Christmas brought his sports agen:
    'Twas Christmas broach'd the mightiest ale;
    'Twas Christmas told the merriest tale;
    A Christmas gambol oft would cheer
    The poor man's heart through half the year.
    England was Merry England, when
    Old Christmas brought his sports agen.

It's interesting too to contemplate that it was actually Charles Dickens who made the "old timey  Christmas" what we now think it was always, or what it should be.  It's fascinating reading, really.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
    • Keep beauty alive...
    « Reply #45 on: December 06, 2013, 12:45:34 PM »
    Just wonderful - Thanks Ginny - just wonderful with images so clear.

I wonder did anyone ever eat Boar - the head or other parts? Wonder what it tastes like - I wonder how they cooked all these wild animals to get the gaminess out of them - I wonder if they had green beans that grow in the early cold weather or just root vegetables and I wonder when serving a Boar's head for Christmas fell out of style - Maybe when Dickens set his Christmas Day dinner with a goose???

Or maybe as cities grew there was less dependence on hunting wild animals so the Boars multiplied as they do and became a nuisance digging up more than the forests as the packs of boars are doing here in South Texas - they are already up into the areas just south of Austin tearing up and destroying the land. There are bounties now for killing them there are so many.  That makes me wonder if England had a boar problem that they nipped by farmers mass killing them so that eating boar and other wild animals was not the only celebrating food in town.

Aha - found some of my query answered - "The Renaissance period saw a dramatic reduction of forests for agriculture, thus diminishing some boar populations. Boars were increasingly hunted as crop predators by the rich, who rather than using spears, daggers and arrows, now had firearms allowing them to kill boars far more quickly and efficiently. The reduction in boar numbers resulting in the formation of hunting reserves.

The civil unrest following the end of the French Revolution put an end to feudal privileges and hunting was liberalised, leading to a decrease in boar populations."

JoanP

• BooksDL
    • Arlington, VA
    « Reply #46 on: December 06, 2013, 03:17:07 PM »
    Barbara!  You did, you found the house. It has to be the one!  And Ginny, how grand the Walter Scott!  Merry Old England knew how to do Christmas right!

Pedln, we still light the Advent wreath and open the Advent calendar each day...never stopped when the kids left.(they kept coming back - expected them, just as we still put up all those lights outside.   I send the calendars to Grandkids and order one for myself each year - those wonderfully illustrated German ones with a Biblical verse and little picture inside each.

Since you haven't read the Poirot and the Christmas pudding yet, I won't give it away.  I just finished the last chapter and  was reminded of PatH's question -
    "Are there any foods that have a place in your celebrations?"  
    We always have the Bûche de Noël, the Yule Log each Christmas Eve.  This is a French custom - Poirot would have expected it.  I noticed in the last chapter, the  family gathered for "a splendid Christmas cake" - I immediately pictured Bûche de Noël.  Do you think it was something other? -

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
    • Keep beauty alive...
    « Reply #47 on: December 06, 2013, 03:39:31 PM »
    What a lovely Bûche de Noël - I used to make one for a few years back when they all still lived here. From what I understand an English Christmas cake is like a moist fruit cake with white icing that is sometimes decorated with green and red icing leaves and flowers.

Here is a link to traditional English Christmas recipes that includes the recipe for the Christmas Cake.

http://britishfood.about.com/od/christmasrecipes/r/xmascake.htm

salan

« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2013, 12:11:45 PM »
    Marking my spot.  Am reading Christmas books.  Just finished Anne Perry's latest Christmas book, A Christmas Hope.  Not much to it, but I enjoyed it anyway.
    Sally

marcie

• Administrator
    « Reply #49 on: December 08, 2013, 12:33:51 AM »
    Those two cakes look too good to eat! We'll be moving on to the next story tomorrow (Sunday) as we continue to talk about books that might make a wonderful gift for someone (or holiday recipes or anything else that comes to mind) as we read and talk about THE ADVENTURE OF THE BLUE CARBUNCLE, a Sherlock Holmes mystery.

JoanP

• BooksDL
    • Arlington, VA
    « Reply #50 on: December 08, 2013, 12:28:29 PM »
    Looking at the desserts - the Christmas cake is more fruitcake, right Barb?  Like the Christmas pudding?  I think I'll stick with my yule log this year.  All this is a reminder that I haven't started the Christmas cookies yet.  Do you have a favorite recipe?  I haven't gathered the ingredients yet.  Cookies on the list for next week.  Right now I'm trying to finish the gift-buying.  What is distressing - few books on grandkids' wish lists.  They do have Kindles...kindle accounts.  But it's not the same thing - is it?  

We're getting socked with the snow and ice storm today in the DC area.  Some schools have alreading announced closings because of the expected overnight ice accumulation and low temps.  Will stay in and stay warm. How are those of you in the West - and midwest doing?  I hear another storm is brewing... 

JoanP

• BooksDL
    • Arlington, VA
    « Reply #51 on: December 08, 2013, 12:28:43 PM »
    Oh goody, Marcie!  You've brought us another seasonal mystery.  This one centering on the appearance of a Christmas Goose (see heading for a link to the story - or Marcie's post.)  I've read the first two pages - and find myself wondering about the goose.  I don't think I've ever had goose...have you? Or know anyone who has.  Where's Ginny?  I'll bet she has.

There must have been a time when goose was on the menu in the US.  I found a few farms in the US - the Sassafras Valley Farm in MO will ship it to you in two days...must order by Dec. 18- if you want it for Christmas.

"Most people in the US do not eat goose at Christmas. In England, however, fresh goose is a very popular Christmas treat. England has a population of 51 million and there are over forty farmers that commercially raise geese for Christmas sales. For the US to match that ratio, we would need over 240 goose farmers and I would wager there are fewer than 20 in the US that grow geese for the Christmas market"
    John Metzer - Metzer Farms

Metzer Farms is located in the Salinas Valley, which is an intense vegetable growing area (“the Salad Bowl of the Nation”) about 100 miles south of San Francisco. http://metzerfarms.blogspot.com/2011/03/popularity-of-christmas-geese-in.html

Back to the story - and the mysterious appearance of the Christmas goose.  Good idea to cook it, Sherlock - while searching for the true owner...

jane

• Administrator
    • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
    « Reply #52 on: December 08, 2013, 12:50:33 PM »
    They do have Kindles...kindle accounts.  But it's not the same thing - is it? 

If they're older than 7 or 8, yep, for me, they're the same thing.  The kids can get the books they want.

For babies and toddlers, yes, I'd buy appropriate print books they can hold, turn pages in, point at pictures, take into the tub, etc. 

PatH

• BooksDL
    « Reply #53 on: December 08, 2013, 01:06:09 PM »
    Take in the tub--you're encouraging a bad habit that I had for much of my life: reading in the bathtub.  I finally stopped after a rather unfortunate incident, and now I take showers, so reading isn't possible, but it's very relaxing to soak and read.

It wouldn't be a good idea with the Kindle.  A slip-up would be disastrous. :o

PatH

• BooksDL
    « Reply #54 on: December 08, 2013, 01:08:04 PM »
    Now I'll fish out my hardbound Sherlock Holmes, complete with the original illustrations, and reread the Blue Carbuncle.

mabel1015j

« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2013, 01:22:28 PM »
    I've bought books for my dgt and grandson for Christmas. He's very much into the Wimpy Kid series and there's a new one just out.

My SIL is an Anglophile and liked to cook gourmet dishes, so, of course, one of those was goose one Christmas. It's very fatty, but that makes a delicious crust. Once a year it's an acceptable eat, i guess.

Oh, we are having a lovely snow, it's soft and fluffy and in just an hour has covered everything a beautiful white. The only negative is our dgt and grandson - yes, the same two who are getting books - drove to an event about an hour away this morning and my dgt just texted that she's passed 4 accidents on a major highway. I'm just waiting to hear that they are home, safe and sound.

Jean

marcie

• Administrator
    « Reply #56 on: December 08, 2013, 01:46:38 PM »
    I've never eaten goose (or duck). It plays a big role in this Christmas story. What a find in the goose's crop for the policeman!

I find it fun to give books to children and other family members. I don't always suceed in giving them an exact match for their tastes but it's a nice challenge for me to try. Jean, The Wimpy Kid series seems very popular.

I hope that all travelers are safe.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
    • Keep beauty alive...
    « Reply #57 on: December 08, 2013, 02:23:04 PM »
    Supposed to get into the 40s today - so far only 37 but that is better than yesterday when it never got out of the 20s - ice caused lots of highway accidents last night and there was even a patch of snow in a few places. Not as cold tonight but then sometime tomorrow another front with another freezing night - then by Wednesday up into the 50s which for us is still not very warm. I am so tired of feeling cold and having to grab a throw - I feel cocooned warped up like this - not getting anything done just trying to stay warm. My anxiety level is through the roof with only 10 days till I leave here - grrrr while being brrrr.

I remember as a kid having a greater variety of fish and fowl - with mass transportation and mass shopping centers and farming for the masses  we sure have lost variety. Thank goodness for farmers markets but even there fowl is hard to keep and once frozen it really is not the same. The other thing i never see anymore that was always featured in the Butcher's showcase is a small whole pig much less pigs heads - nor do I see duck, rabbit or guinea hens which were common into the 1970s. In some stores you can find frozen Cornish hens but I cannot even find frozen rabbit anymore. When was the last time you saw a turkey hanging from a hook in the butcher shop. For awhile the supermarkets still had hanging fowl at holiday time in their butcher department. Now it is all frozen unless you go to Whole Foods.

All to say so many of these stories loose something that folks who grew up in the last 20 or 30 years need someone to explain so they get the image - which says something when we are trying to get the flavor of these stories written 100 years ago much less the many nineteenth century stories we seem to love reading here on Senior Learn.

Well I can gripe but none of it will change so onward and let's see what ol' Sherlock has up his sleeve even if his rooms are from another age.

nlhome

« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2013, 02:59:12 PM »
    My grandmother would prepare goose, usually for Thanksgiving. She would drain off the fat and use it for her holiday baking - I never learned how she did it, but I'm thinking she must have cooked the goose with just salt, then drained of the fat. If she used any other seasoning, should would have had to add it after draining off the fat. I don't remember if I liked it or not - I was a kid, more interested in desserts and having fun afterwards with my cousins, so I assume I just ate it.

I've never prepared tame goose, but we did have some take duck breasts once that were delicious broiled on the grill. And we eat wild goose and duck regularly - they are not so fatty and are dark meat, but delicious when prepared correctly, which my husband does.

marcie

• Administrator
    « Reply #59 on: December 08, 2013, 11:13:21 PM »
    Those are interesting thoughts and memories about fowl. Before we get to the goose in the story, we have the hat.

Holmes is brought a man’s felt hat by a policeman. What are some of the remarkable claims that Sherlock deduces about the man who owns the hat?

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2013, 11:58:19 PM »
    I have not read the story; just wanted to pop in and ask if we ever discussed SNOW FALLING ON CEDARS by David Guterson?   I just finished and loved the book, the characters, the history of those years.  If we haven't discussed we should.  It's an older book but it was in our library and I always meant to read it, wonderful writing.  Won a Pen/Faulkner award.  Any remarks?

mabel1015j

« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2013, 12:01:00 AM »
    I was laughing out loud at Holmes "detecting" about the owner of the hat. Even Watson was incredulous!

Nobody would hang meat outside of refrigeration today, it would be too dangerous. They would be afraid of being sued if someone got sick.

All of the family arrived home safe and sound. School openings will be delayed two hours. We've got about six inches if snow on the ground, but it's warming up even at this midnight hour. It was pretty while it lasted for those of us who didn't have to go out.

Ella just saw your post about Snow Falling on Cedars. I don't see it in the SL archives - but my GOODNESS, there are a lot of books in that list, lol - but i think i read it for a Seniornet discussion. Of course, that could be a totally faulty memory. :D

Jean

marcie

• Administrator
    « Reply #62 on: December 09, 2013, 12:36:01 AM »
    Ella, I don't see it in either of our archives.

Jean, yes when Holmes rattled off the description of the man from studying his hat, I had to laugh too. He was "intelligent" because his "big head" (large hat size) had to be full of something!!

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
    • Keep beauty alive...
    « Reply #63 on: December 09, 2013, 01:36:44 AM »
    Yes, we read it years back - it was one of the first books we discussed on SeniorNet back when we did Jude the Obscure and Sir Gawain and the Green Knight and struggled through A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man,

Based on my posts now it is hard to believe but I was so shy of posting I followed and read the books for several munths before I mustered the courage to post.

JoanP

• BooksDL
    • Arlington, VA
    « Reply #64 on: December 09, 2013, 06:47:57 AM »
    Barb...don't ever remember a time you were shy. ;)

Good to see you, Ella!
    Snow Falling on Cedars was our very first book discussion together on SeniorNet back in 1996. Who remembers?  Ginny led it. Too bad that discussion isn't in the Archives.  Probably before we even thought of saving the discussions.

Glad to hear your family made it home safe and sound, Jean - our schools are closed here in Arlington - Federal government two hours late...with more snow in the forecast for tomorrow morning! Suddenly it's winter.  (We had roses, begonias, geraniums blooming before this...)

Do you think that's true?  A big head, a big forehead indicates a big brain?  There was a time I thought this...can remember the names of former brainy classmates with large foreheads.

While the initials in the hat provided an easy clue, there were other amazing conclusions only Sherlock could draw...a wife who hadn't recently brushed his hat, (the goose as a peace offering to her.  I guess she had to do without a Christmas goose this year.  I wonder if they ever reunited) Sherlock is so confident in his conclusions, isn't he?  I

marcie

• Administrator
    « Reply #65 on: December 09, 2013, 11:07:23 AM »
    Joan, there's an interesting short piece on "big heads" and brain size at http://blog.lib.umn.edu/chamb169/myblog2/2012/04/bigger-head-higher-intelligence.html and here is a more recent article: http://www.livescience.com/19692-genes-brain-size-intelligence.html

Holmes is very confident in his conclusions. I think that's one of the things that makes him "Sherlock Holmes" and also makes the stories a little humorous as he rattles off a dozen things he knows from sniffing a clue for a few seconds.

PatH

• BooksDL
    « Reply #66 on: December 09, 2013, 02:06:06 PM »
    As you have shown, Marcie, we are now uncertain of the degree to which brain size and intelligence are correlated, but in the time of the story, when phrenology was in its heyday, it was widely believed that a big brain meant high intelligence.

When we finally meet the owner of the hat, he is wearing a "glengarry bonnet".  It wasn't respectable for a man then to go out without a hat--not as bad as no trousers, but bad.

ginny

• Administrator
    « Reply #67 on: December 09, 2013, 02:23:33 PM »
    Yes Snow Falling  on Cedars was our first book and it was a good one. It was  a good thing to start our book clubs  on  SeniorNet with. That was before Marcie, as Pearson says,  started saving the book discussions. There were others as well; the Odyssey was another one.

I am sure I have had goose, but I don't actually recall the experience. It would seem that it was not that memorable. I seem to remember it was very fatty.  Pheasants and chukar, however are much better chukar,  particularly is really good bird.

Talk about coincidence I sat down yesterday to read in the new Barnes & Noble anthology of Christmas mysteries and there was the Sherlock Holmes,  but it was the blue carbuncle and behold that's what you're reading!    Since it's pouring rain I think I'll treat myself to a book and a  fire and I'll be right back.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
    • Downtown Gahanna
      • SeniorLearn
    « Reply #68 on: December 09, 2013, 02:32:44 PM »
    I knew when Ella mentioned "Snow Falling on Cedars" that most of us would remember it was our first book discussion.  JoanP, it was 1997 as I had just joined SN in May of '97.   And I also remember the other titles that Barbara called our attention to.  I remember discussion of "Portrait Of An Artist" and remember that I shyed away from "Sir Gawin and the Green Knight"  because it not a familiar title to me.  Now I will discuss almost any title offered and although I am not a sci/fi or romance reader, I do read those discussions occasionally just to find what other genres others like and why.

Am off to read Sherlock although I have seen the story on TV with Jeremy Brett playing Sherlock.  
    Our Christmas tree has been brought up by our grans and awaits Ralph stringing of our bubble lights.  I do all the rest of the decorating, cookie baking, etc etc.  It's a busy time at our house.
    "No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

PatH

• BooksDL
    « Reply #69 on: December 09, 2013, 02:39:24 PM »
    I don't know about this story, but some of the Jeremy Brett TV stories have plots that have been messed with a lot compared to the originals.  This is a terrible sin to a purist like me.

bellamarie

« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2013, 04:40:49 PM »
    I have never read Snow Falling on Cedars, always wanted to.  My first book I ever remember discussing was Teacher Man and I believe it was with SeniorNet.Org.  Loved the discussions it brought about.  I was still working in the Catholic K - 8 school, and was shocked at some of the things Frank McCourt got away with in the schools he taught.

To my knowledge I have never had goose, but then again growing up my step Dad was a hunter and fisherman, and brought home many things. My Mom would not tell us what she was cooking, or what we were eating.  She was sure we would curl up our noses and refuse to eat it if we knew.  I remember when she asked after the meal how we liked the pheasant, or the deer meat.  Once we stayed with friends who milked their own cows and when my younger sister heard the milk was from the cow outside she refused to drink it.  The next morning our lady friend who we were staying with, poured our cereal and poured milk from and store bought bottle, my sister ate every bite.  Then the lady said, "So I thought you didn't like cow's milk?"  We all laughed so hard, she had filled the bottle with cow's milk and fooled my sister.  After that we didn't trust anything at the table. 

Haven't started the Sherlock Holmes book yet, Sunday I got up, went to church, then Christmas shopping, then on to my grand daughter's Advent program, and came home and helped wrap. Today was super busy with my daycare, I ran to our TJ Max to grab the beautiful Christmas throw pillow I saw yesterday, got talking to an old friend in the store and left without buying it.  Thank goodness it was still there, and then on to my local dollar store to buy some beautiful Christmas holly/berry dishes.  I know I already have a set of Christmas China, but I saw these and just had to have them for an everyday table decoration setting, and for me and my hubby on Christmas day. It's amazing what you can find at a dollar store anymore, and I am not shy to say where I got them!!  All these beautiful pictures you all are posting are so festive!  The cake roll looks divine!  I plan to start my Christmas baking with the grandkids next week-end.  Phew....  
    I hope to get to the book tonight.

Ciao for now~
    “What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
    __Anthony Trollope, The Warden

ginny

• Administrator
    « Reply #71 on: December 09, 2013, 06:05:47 PM »
    I enjoyed the whole story. I don't think it's one of the strongest ones though. I was shocked to read that Arthur Conan Doyle did not consider Sherlock Holmes his most important creation and he preferred three other works that I never heard of.   And he preferred his work on spirituality I think it was but anyway it was quite interesting.

I'm confused about the crop of the goose. Maybe I'm confused about the crop to start with. Reading it made me glad that the good old days are sort of gone in which we don't have to butcher our own turkeys or chickens. I just thought that was quite interesting ---how would you see what was in a crop to start with?

That was quite a complicated story. And when you think about how Holmes managed to figure all that out it's even more interesting.  I thought it was interesting how Holmes  knew that he had lost the love of his wife because she hadn't brushed his hat. To me, the wife wouldn't be brushing the hat,  to me the Butler or the servant would be brushing the hat. I guess that would go along with him falling on hard times.

Where IS the crop?  The whole story hinges on it.  

mabel1015j

« Reply #72 on: December 09, 2013, 06:19:20 PM »
    Bellamarie - what a smart Mother you had!

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
    • Keep beauty alive...
    « Reply #73 on: December 09, 2013, 07:31:50 PM »
    hahah I know JoanP it sounds incredible - as to preparing home grown chickens for the pot I was much happier when my grandmother visited and held in her arms the chicken - she cracked the neck and held on doing other choirs for about an hour till she dunked it in a huge pot of hot water so she could feather it, as compared to my father, who axed off the head on his way to work and stuck a barrel over it - the headless chicken battered around that barrel causing a ruckus for what seemed like hours - hated that.

That was my sister and my summer thrill - who could get the freshest egg for breakfast while the other tried to get the raspberries picked and in the dish with the dew still on. Maybe once all summer we did it as one stood at the door of the chicken coop to watch who was laying - not as much laying in the summer - and scoop the egg still warm to the pot of hot water and on the table while the other tried to capture those dew covered berries. Timing was fine tuned.

I got a kick reading about him in his PURPLE robe - talk about the coronated king of deduction with purple being the color of kings.

nlhome

« Reply #74 on: December 09, 2013, 08:27:34 PM »
    The crop is a temporary storage place between a bird's beak and the gizzard.

PatH

• BooksDL
    « Reply #75 on: December 09, 2013, 08:47:50 PM »
    I learned something today.  I always thought the crop was another word for the gizzard, but as you say, it comes first, and is used for temporary storage.  It's useful for survival--the bird can gulp down food in an exposed place more quickly than it's stomach can deal with it, then get back out of danger.

http://www.backyardnature.net/birdguts.htm

mabel1015j

« Reply #76 on: December 09, 2013, 09:22:57 PM »
    Boy! The things you learn on SeniorLearn!  :D

JoanP

• BooksDL
    • Arlington, VA
    « Reply #77 on: December 09, 2013, 09:25:21 PM »
    Well that makes me wonder how the commisionnaire's wife, Mrs. Peterson found the stone if it was way down in the "crop"?  I'm assuming this was after she had roasted the goose?

PatH

• BooksDL
    « Reply #78 on: December 09, 2013, 09:29:54 PM »
    That's easy--she would take the guts out in preparing the bird to roast, and the stone would be a hard lump in the thin-walled crop.  She might even have cut up the crop for gravy stock, as one does with the gizzard.

nlhome

« Reply #79 on: December 09, 2013, 10:20:04 PM »
    I'm not sure sure about cutting up the crop for eating, but I think  people who remove the insides of a bird often check the crop out to see what the bird has been eating, or as you say, would feel a hard lump like a gem.