Author Topic: December Holiday Open House  (Read 23840 times)

marcie

• Administrator
Re: December Holiday Open House
« Reply #80 on: December 09, 2013, 11:35:23 PM »
December Holiday Open House
Come celebrate the holidays with us...
-  share some of your favorite seasonal  books, as well as those you have enjoyed this year.    Do you give books as gifts?  How do you choose the perfect gift for those on your list?

- we'll also get into that holiday spirit starting off with a very short   Christmas Cozy Mystery* - (available for free online )

*A "cozy mystery" usually takes place in a small, picturesque town or village, with characters.  Cozies don't usually involve a lot of gory details or explicit "adult situations." The guilty parties are usually not zany people, although an eccentric or two might lurk here and there.  On the whole, they are usually normal, every day characters you might have known at one time in your life."

For our second story, we've selected Arthur Conan Doyle's The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle, a Sherlock Holmes mystery (just 10 short pages)

Your thoughts?

Holmes is brought a man’s felt hat by a policeman. What are some of the remarkable claims that Sherlock deduces about the man who owns the hat?

The evidence against the plumber, John Horner, regarding the theft of the blue carbuncle, was so strong that the case has been referred to the Assizes. What do you know about the Assizes?

What do you think of the two descriptions of the blue carbuncle? Do you know anything about gems and what it could be?
   He held out his hand and displayed upon the centre of the palm a brilliantly scintillating blue stone, rather smaller than a bean in size, but of such purity and radiance that it twinkled like an electric point in the dark hollow of his hand.

"It's a bonny thing," said he. "Just see how it glints and sparkles. Of course it is a nucleus and focus of crime. Every good stone is. They are the devil's pet baits. In the larger and older jewels every facet may stand for a bloody deed. This stone is not yet twenty years old. It was found in the banks of the Amoy River in southem China and is remarkable in having every characteristic of the carbuncle, save that it is blue in shade instead of ruby red. In spite of its youth, it has already a sinister history. There have been two murders, a vitriol-throwing, a suicide, and several robberies brought about for the sake of this forty-grain weight of crystallized charcoal. Who would think that so pretty a toy would be a purveyor to the gallows and the prison?

What are some of the other details of the case that interest you?

What do you think of Sherlock’s letting "the suspect" go . . . during the “season of forgiveness?”

What are some of Arthur Conan Doyle’s descriptions or phrases in this story that you found interesting or humorous?

What are some of the characteristics of Sherlock Holmes that you noticed in this story?

Have you seen any film/tv adaptations of this story?

Happy Holidays, everyone!

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: December 09, 2013, 11:44:11 PM »
I too had made assumptions about what a crop is. Thanks for all of the good information here.

There's another term with which I was unfamiliar. The evidence against the plumber, John Horner, regarding the theft of the blue carbuncle, was so strong that the case was referred to the Assizes. What do you know about the Assizes?

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #82 on: December 10, 2013, 01:13:47 AM »
marcie had to look that one up and it is a superior court that no longer exists - it administered the civil and criminal law until 1972 when the civil jurisdiction of assizes was transferred to the High Court, and the criminal jurisdiction to the Crown Court.

The information I could find about a blue carbuncle only talks about a red carbuncle - I wonder if there was a blue carbuncle that was written about in the newspapers at the time Doyle was writing. So far I have not found anything.

I like the way Doyle told the story of Sherlock Holmes' skill by starting this with the introduction of the hat.

In a chicken the crop is located just above and between the wishbone - without enough grit to peck the crop gets infected - Every month Dad put real Apple Vinegar in their water which kept them from getting infected.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #83 on: December 10, 2013, 07:17:20 AM »
My heavily annotated book says that carbuncles are a certain cut of garnet, and come in white, yellow, green, red, orange, brown, purple, and black, but not blue.  Either Doyle was deliberately inventing an outlandish, presumably very rare, stone, or he didn't know they don't come in blue.

I like the hat too, though some of the clues are pretty tenuous.  These elaborate deductions are part of the fun of the Sherlock Holmes stories.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #84 on: December 10, 2013, 10:07:27 AM »
Hmmm- does this indicate that there is some question about exactly what the stone is? Mr. Doyle admits the blue stone is a rarity, Pat. An aberration?   Maybe this is what makes it so valuable? -

"This stone is not yet twenty years old. It was found in the banks of the Amoy River in southem China and is remarkable in having every characteristic of the carbuncle, save that it is blue in shade instead of ruby red."

Barb, just love your down-home stories!  I too looked up the Assizes courts. Will only add this to what you wrote - which seems to indicate the seriousness of the "crime" - a bit of humor here we might have missed...

"At the assize courts judges conducted trials dealing with serious offenders such as murderers, burglars, highwaymen, rapists, forgers and others who came within the scope of capital crime."  

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #85 on: December 10, 2013, 11:15:06 AM »
aha I love it - a bunch of highway men in the back streets of London or maybe the stone elevates the goose to burglary - yes, it is a chuckle - having seen most of the Sherlock Holmes stories on film they all seem so over the top dramatic but Sherlock, regardless who plays him acts in a very dramatic fashion so it is hard to take these stories seriously - although, I am remembering some versions from when I was a kid that did have the proper trepidations - The Hounds of the Baskervilles being one I remember - maybe these stories need black and white film to bring out the sense of doom. I really think we have been so numbed by all the horror we witness now between other movies and real life wars these stories are tame in comparison.  
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #86 on: December 10, 2013, 01:39:21 PM »
The Hound of the Baskervilles, melodramatic though it may be, is still a good read, with plenty of suspense, atmosphere, drama and horror.  It was one of the first books we read when we moved to our current SeniorLearn site.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #87 on: December 10, 2013, 02:42:32 PM »
Wow! PatH, I didn't remember that!  Seems like we have always been SeniorLearn.

Back to Sherlock and the blue carbuncle.  So does mean that we should check the book stories against the film stories?  Egad! Well not this one!  Maybe at another time.  Hahaha!
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #88 on: December 10, 2013, 05:08:46 PM »
I love the notes in my book; they're so wonderfully picky.   Of "this forty-grain weight of crystallized charcoal" it points out that would be 12.6 carats, so instead of being "rather smaller than a bean" it would be "the size of a well-nourished lima bean."  Also, carbuncles are mixtures of magnesium, calcium, manganese, iron, aluminum, and chromium; it's diamonds that are crystallized carbon.

Of course none of this matters in the least.  All that's important to the story is that the jewel be distinctive enough to be recognizable.  Doyle probably started by thinking of the Hope diamond, and took off from there.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #89 on: December 10, 2013, 06:45:23 PM »
This has to do with the later part of the story, so if you're still reading, skip this.

An amusing difference between then and now: when the thief has hidden his diamond, he can feel comfortable that he is inconspicuous walking down the street with a freshly killed goose under his arm.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #90 on: December 10, 2013, 07:31:02 PM »
Funny, Pat, I missed that!  I  was struck by the little soliloquy on all famous jems.  He has Holmes  saying "of course it is the nucleus the focus of crime. Every good stone is. They are the devils pet baits.   In the larger and older jewels every facet may stand for a bloody deed."  And then he goes on to say what all the deeds were, in this stine's 20?year history.

"
There have been two murders, a vitriolic throwing, a suicide, and several robberies brought about  for the sake of this 40 grain weight of crystallized charcoal."

That's an interesting take on the history of famous jewels maybe he does have the Hope Diamond in mind.

There were  also several expressions that I did not understand.

I should've made a note of them. One was when you see a man with whiskers of that cut and the "pink un"  protruding out of his pocket you can always draw him by a bet.

Wonder what the pink un is?

I wasn't quite sure I understood the end...Holmes let the  perpetrator go, sure in the knowledge that the person accused of the robbery would not be tried further  since there was no one to accuse. But surely there was a police report filed and the person who lost the jewel herself  would have complained.  

Does Holmes say  here somewhere that he's going to return it to the lady or is that something we just understand to be the case?

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #91 on: December 10, 2013, 08:26:51 PM »
Ginny, I really like that comment "every facet may stand for a bloody deed".

I've come across the Pink 'Un before ('Un=One).  My notes here say"A sporting journal, printed on pink paper, not unlike the American Police Gazette".  I've got to take the cut of the whiskers on faith.

Does Holmes say  here somewhere that he's going to return it to the lady or is that something we just understand to be the case?
After Holmes talks about the stone and the robbery, and tells the commissionaire Peterson to put ads in the papers, he says "I shall keep the stone", then a few paragraphs later he says "I'll lock it up in my strong-box now, and drop a line to the Countess to say we have it. I like to think he gave Peterson the thousand pound reward, but that's not mentioned.

I have a problem with the ending too.  The Countess will get her jewel back.  The thief will presumably reform (although I'm not so sure).  But what about Horner, the falsely accused?  He won't be prosecuted, since the case against him will break down, but that isn't the same as being declared innocent, especially for someone who already has a previous conviction.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #92 on: December 10, 2013, 09:14:03 PM »
I don't know. Those are good questions. And I completely missed that about giving it back.

I did find the pink 'un, tho. Look at this:

The Sporting Times
From Wikipedia

The Sporting Times (founded 1865, ceased publication 1932) was a weekly British newspaper devoted chiefly to sport, and in particular to horse racing. It was informally known as The Pink 'Un, as it was printed on pink

The paper was founded in 1865[1] by John Corlett, of Charlton Court, East Sutton, Kent, who was both its editor and its proprietor, and by a Dr Shorthouse.[2] Corlett also wrote a column in the paper called 'Our Note Book' and was associated with it from 1865 to 1913.[3][4] The Sporting Times was published on a Saturday, and its competitors included The Field, The Sportsman, the Sporting Life, and Bell's Life in London.[5] According to Alexander Andrews's Chapters in the History of British Journalism, the paper thrived "less upon its racing news than upon its profusion of coarse and scurrilous scraps of tittle-tattle, representing 'society journalism' in its most degraded form".[1]

In the 1870s, the chess column of The Sporting Times was written by John Wisker (1846–1884), winner of the 1870 British Chess Championship.[6]

On 14 September 1889, the magazine Vanity Fair carried one of its caricatures, printed in colour, of The Sporting Times editor John Corlett, subtitled The Pink 'Un.[7]

In Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's story The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle, first published in the Strand Magazine in January 1892, Sherlock Holmes deduces that a man is keen on gambling by noticing that he has a copy of the paper, commenting - "When you see a man with whiskers of that cut and the 'Pink 'un' protruding out of his pocket, you can always draw him by a bet".[8]

In 1922, under the heading The Scandal of Ulysses, the paper reviewed the complete edition of James Joyce's novel Ulysses just published in Paris, its columnist 'Aramis' writing trenchantly:[9]

“   ... appears to have been written by a perverted lunatic who has made a speciality of the literature of the latrine... I have no stomach for Ulysses... James Joyce is a writer of talent, but in Ulysses he has ruled out all the elementary decencies of life and dwells appreciatively on things that sniggering louts of schoolboys guffaw about. In addition to this stupid glorification of mere filth, the book suffers from being written in the manner of a demented George Meredith. There are whole chapters of it without any punctuation or other guide to what the writer is really getting at. Two-thirds of it is incoherent, and the passages that are plainly written are devoid of wit, displaying only a coarse salacrity [sic] intended for humour.   ”
In Old Pink 'Un Days (1924), the sporting journalist J. B. Booth wrote about his work with the newspaper and its development, with anecdotes of the turf, the theatre, and boxing, and with frank accounts of some of the colourful characters of the worlds of sport and Fleet Street during the early twentieth century.[10] He followed this up with A Pink 'Un Remembers (1937)[11] and Sporting Times: The Pink 'Un World (1938).[3]
In his novel "Burmese Days", the English writer George Orwell (Eric Blair) recounts that the "Pink'Un" was staple reading for British colonialists in India and Burma in the early 20th Century:
“   Year after year you sit in Kipling-haunted little Clubs, whisky to right of you, Pink'un to left of you, listening and eagerly agreeing while Colonel Bodger develops his theory that these bloody Nationalists should be boiled in oil.   ”

The paper ceased publication in 1932.

Rudyard Kipling mentions The Sporting Times as The Pink 'Un in his autobiography Something of Myself (1937).[12]

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: December 10, 2013, 09:18:55 PM »
Oh jeepers! We're posting together.hahaha.   I didn't intend to do all  that long quote, but unfortunately the iPad and I disagreed where that quote should be done so just ignore it.

I see you have it all the time!  Hahaha

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: December 10, 2013, 09:37:12 PM »
I love all of the information that is shared in our discussions. It's much more fun and informative to read together than for me to read alone.  I love the notes in your book too, Pat. "the size of a well-nourished lima bean"!!

I found an interesting site put together by members of a family in England (the Edkins family). They seem a bit agitated about the idea of a BLUE carbuncle. See http://gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/minerals/sherlock.htm

One of the family members (Jo) says about the passage describing the blue stone:

This is a vivid passage, but unfortunately it is nonsense. Peterson has found that "It cuts into glass as though it were putty", and so identifies it correctly as a precious stone (particularly since it has a good colour and purity). Holmes says that the stone is the famous Blue Carbuncle. The word 'carbuncle' is not used nowadays in its original meaning as a gemstone, although it has been used in its alternative meaning as a blemish. It used to mean a red stone, such as a garnet. Garnets can be many colours but they cannot be bright blue. Also garnets, while being precious stones, are hardly in the same league as rubies, and this is obviously an extremely valuable stone, "the precious stone" indeed! So it cannot be a garnet.

Rubies are sometimes called carbuncles. They are red corundum, the hardest stone there is apart from diamond, and they would certainly cut glass. A good ruby is indeed extremely valuable. Rubies can be described as carbuncles. But it seems strange to talk of a "ruby red" ruby - why not just call it a ruby rather than a carbuncle? What is more, there is nothing "remarkable" about this stone being a blue version of a ruby, since that is what a sapphire is! In fact, rubies are more valuable than sapphires. Finally rubies are sapphires are made of aluminium and oxygen, rather than "crystallized charcoal".

Sherlock Holmes doesn't correct Peterson who calls the stone a diamond. He admires the "glints and sparkles", describes it as extremely valuable, and finally calls it "crystallized charcoal". Diamond are made solely of carbon, the same as charcoal,although a different crystalline structure. Diamonds also sparkle with refracted light, and they can be many different colours. However diamonds are usually thought of as transparent, not red, and they have never been called carbuncles.

This all sounds as if Arthur Conan Doyle thought there was a precious stone called a carbuncle, which was extremely valuable and usually red, although this one was bright blue, which was "remarkable" and made it even more valuable, and it was made of carbon. However, it wasn't a garnet, ruby, sapphire or diamond. All in all, it sounds as it he did not know much about about precious stones!

However, the weight sounds reasonable. Forty grains are just under 14 carats. Presumably, Arthur Conan Doyle learned about grains while training as a doctor.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #95 on: December 10, 2013, 09:39:18 PM »
Ginny, I didn't have all of it all the time, and I'm glad to read that lengthy quote.  I'm amused by "whisky to right of you, Pink'un to left of you".

If you can bend the iPad to your will, you're a better man than I am, Gunga Din.  I have trouble even getting it to believe my fingertips are real.  It takes me three tries to turn it off.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #96 on: December 10, 2013, 09:40:44 PM »
Regarding the falsely accused Horner being let go when the case breaks apart, maybe that's enough. It might be that the courts didn't keep records on people who were accused by someone but where there was not enough evidence to hold them, or the accuser refused to testify (which would be the case here, as the accuser says he is going to leave the country).

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #97 on: December 10, 2013, 09:45:20 PM »
I knew I heard the words Pink SHEET and wondered which was first, the Pink 'un or the Pink Sheet - thought it had to do with the paper stuffed in the pocket of most horse racing gamblers that lists the betting odds for each horse but instead I guess it is horse trading and racing of a different stripe -  ;)

Definition of 'Pink Sheets'

A daily publication compiled by the National Quotation Bureau with bid and ask prices of over-the-counter (OTC) stocks, including the market makers who trade them. Unlike companies on a stock exchange, companies quoted on the pink sheets system do not need to meet minimum requirements or file with the SEC. Pink sheets also refers to OTC trading.
Investopedia Says    
Investopedia explains 'Pink Sheets'

The pink sheets got their name because they were actually printed on pink paper. You can tell whether a company trades on the pink sheets because the stock symbol will end in ".PK"

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #98 on: December 10, 2013, 09:52:11 PM »
Hehe the family in England writing about the "blue" stone sure wants Doyle to be absolutely correct - funny - this is not history is it and therefore a flight of fancy would be typical - yes?

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #99 on: December 10, 2013, 10:05:00 PM »
Shall we get back to our books to recommend as gifts??  I really enjoyed the discussion about the "blue carbuncle" and whether Conan Doyle was as picky as Pat says she is.  Evidently he's not.  Good grief those folks wanted perfection from the author.  Its fiction, people, and pretty good fiction,too.  I liked the mystery!

I like to give Louise Erdrich's books to some on my list as she is a great surprise to most. 
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #100 on: December 11, 2013, 11:26:53 AM »
LOL, re the critique of the blue carbuncle. Yes, some fans of the series can take the details very seriously!!

Annie, I had not heard of Louise Erdrich. I looked her up in wikipedia and see the following information: "Erdrich's complexly interwoven series of novels have drawn comparisons with William Faulkner's Yoknapatawpha novels. Like Faulkner's, Erdrich's successive novels created multiple narratives in the same fictional area and combined the tapestry of local history with current themes and modern consciousness."

What do you find interesting in her books?

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #101 on: December 11, 2013, 10:28:40 PM »
Marcie,
Your article was speaking of Louise Erdritch's adult books, of which I have read a few and really enjoyed.  She is a very different writer.

But I am leaving you a link to her books for children.  My grans especially enjoyed The Birch Bark House series.  This lady is part American Indian (Ojibwe) and part French. Her mother's id.  Her father is German American.

There are many links on the page that I am leaving here.  Take a look.

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=Louise+Erdritch's+childrens+books&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

I have read and enjoyed three of her titles,  "The Last Report On The Miracles At Little No Horse", "The Bingo Palace" and 'The Master Butchers Singing Club".

The Birchbark House is 4 books in a series. 

Here is another link to Louise Erdrich and her novels on Goodreads.

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/9388.Louise_Erdrich

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #102 on: December 12, 2013, 11:15:48 AM »
Thanks very much for those links, Annie. I'll check them out in a little bit.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #103 on: December 12, 2013, 11:45:21 AM »
Just reading the chase by Father Travis as Cappy runs through town is worth The Round House alone - Louise Erdritch takes a horrific event and makes it into a page turner and ties it together with her Indian Culture.

I've decided to give one of the twins in Lubbock a copy of The Son, by Philip Meyer and since the Mexican cartoonists are all the rage I will be giving Guillermo del Toro Cabinet of Curiosities: My Notebooks, Collections, and Other Obsessions tothe oldest grandsons in NC who graduates this year with a double major and a minor from The Savannah School of Art and Design. He already has a job that they wanted him to stay on after his summer stint and so he works part time till he graduates. In fact Cooper in Lubbock is also working full time now with Fed Ex who has been paying for his collage education. He did slow down and only takes 9 hours a semester but it is worth the extra time not having any student loan debt.  

Tons to do today - it may be the last nice day before I leave next week - still not up to typical temps but the sun is out and I want to prepare this house for the winter blast that is supposed to come the end of next week. This one is supposed to be even more severe than the last.

mabel1015j

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #105 on: December 13, 2013, 03:21:08 PM »
That link worked just fine, Jean!  What a gold mine of book lists!  Thank you SO much!

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #106 on: December 13, 2013, 06:12:54 PM »
Thanks, Jean. It will take me a long time to check out all of those books!

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #107 on: December 14, 2013, 07:47:06 PM »
I see that on Tuesday, PBS is going to have a special "How Sherlock Holmes Changed the World".  According to the description in the Washington Post, it credits the Holmes stories with the change in detection that occurred then, from just interrogation of suspects and witnesses to the addition of physical evidence and the importance of handling the crime scene in a way to preserve evidence, then actually making use of the evidence.

Doyle got some of his notions about deduction and evidence from one of his medical school teachers, Joseph Bell, who in real life often made the sort of elaborate deduction that Holmes makes from the hat in our story, and Bell was almost never wrong.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #108 on: December 14, 2013, 09:17:54 PM »
PatH, that program sounds so good... and timely, for us. Thanks for mentioning it here.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #109 on: December 17, 2013, 11:27:15 AM »
I can’t leave The Blue Carbuncle without saying something about pickiness and Arthur Conan Doyle.    Doyle himself wasn’t picky.  He said “In short stories it has always seemed to me that so long as you produce your dramatic effect, accuracy of detail matters little.  I have never striven for it, and have made some bad mistakes in consequence.  What matter if I hold my readers?”

Quite right.  The real reason Sherlock Holmes has lasted so long is that Doyle was a master spinner of tales.  He knew how to tell a story right, and we all fall for it.  The rest is important too—the substance of the detection, the logic, the drama in those cases that have action.  For us now, there is also the charm of the Victorian scene.  The bird, always waiting on the sideboard when the case is finished, the tantalus, the smoking jacket, the slippers, the various carriages, the fog, all the contrivances of life of that time.  We lap it up.

That said, there is a whole industry of being picky about Sherlock Holmes.  There are people who love these stories who gather together in groups to pick them apart.  The one I’m most familiar with is the Baker Street Irregulars, but there are others.  They start with the assumption that every word in every story is true, never mind that Doyle was dashing off the stories to make money for more important things and didn’t worry too much about consistency.  Then they concoct elaborate explanations to explain the inconsistencies.

Take the matter of Dr. Watson’s second wound.  When we first meet Watson, he is an army surgeon, recovering from a bullet wound in the shoulder, acquired in Afghanistan, and the enteric fever he got in the hospital.  In later stories, his wound sometimes aches from the weather, and sometimes makes him limp.  Limp from a shoulder wound?  But there is an ingenious and amusing explanation.

It’s all great fun if you happen to like that kind of thing.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #110 on: December 18, 2013, 11:13:17 AM »
That's fun information, Pat. I missed the program on PBS last evening, "How Sherlock Changed the world." The reviews seem to agree that it could have been edited to one hour instead of two but it's available to view online at http://video.pbs.org/video/2365137931/

It probably also will be "on demand" on my cable. I'll check.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #111 on: December 18, 2013, 11:41:57 AM »
saw bits and pieces of it and was amazed at how much this author influence real detective work. Amazing.

I am beside myself - have looked for hours for the copy of the Angry Days we read with Ella and Harold. I wanted to give it to one of my grands when I visit since I thought he would enjoy it. Upsdie down and backwards I have searched and cannot find the book - in the process found two other books I had been looking for earlier this fall -

I cannot imagine where I put that book - found the copy of the Churchill that I used for background info - Now for sure with all the inventorying I plan on starting the new year I must inventory my books - I wish I had a list of all the books after reading I brought to various venues over the years -

My goal is to finally inventory all my CDs and DVDs and Tapes - and inventory things I value that I seldom use any more. This misplacing a good book just proved it - I Need to re-arrange the books and cull the ones that are not worth keeping. Big plans - I need to find out how they do it in retail stores - they use some kind of hand held device - the concept of writing all this in long hand is daunting

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #112 on: December 18, 2013, 04:40:30 PM »
I saw parts of "How Sherlock Holmes changed the World" and, like Barb, was amazed at how much Doyle influenced early crime scene investigation. According to the show, the early pathologists were Holmes fans and used him directly for their model.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #113 on: December 18, 2013, 09:45:00 PM »
When you figure it out, Barb, let us know how you plan to inventory. It is a daunting task! I sympathize with your not finding the book. I'm looking for a couple of things I "organized" a while ago.

Barb and JoanK, Good to know about the Sherlock Holmes program. I don't see it yet on my cable tv, on demand.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #114 on: December 19, 2013, 10:11:50 AM »
You'd think that the Christmas rush would let up - as the kids are all out of the house now.  But they'll be home for Christmas... As long as we live here, I will feel compelled to do Christmas as we always did when they were kids.  Only they're not here to help!  Bruce?  As I become a whirling dervish, Bruce, to protect himself, finds places he must be, other than at my elbow as the boys used to be.   I am going under this year!  Guess I don't move as quickly as I used to do.  

Two articles - both from today's Style section of the Washington Post caught my attention - which I would to share with you.  Rather than describe them, I'll go get the link. I thought they were interesting and relevent to our conversation here...

Will be right back!

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #115 on: December 19, 2013, 10:32:21 AM »
Ditto, ditto, ditto...Couldn't have said it better myself.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #116 on: December 19, 2013, 10:38:51 AM »
In the past, we've discussed Dickens'  classic, "A Christmas Carol" in December.  This article in the Post causes me to want to  reconsider the "unsettling motifs" of Dickens' work. ...
The article is a review of  the new   Annotated Christmas Carol by Michael Dirda (love Michael) -
He writes...

"The point of an “annotated” edition of any classic is to supply readers with information, with the definitions and illustrations and facts that will help deepen our appreciation or understanding. Hearn’s first substantial note cites Dickens’s brief preface to a collected edition of his “Christmas Books” — these include “The Chimes” and “The Cricket on the Hearth,” as well as “A Christmas Carol” — wherein their author defines each of them as “a whimsical kind of masque,” aiming to awaken “loving and forbearing thoughts.
A masque? A masque is a Renaissance court entertainment, a ballet-like pageant, in which the actors sing and dance, and allegory abounds."

I know some of us have read "The Christmas Carol" here before...but reading Michael D's article  makes me want to look at it again more closely.  There's a lot one can miss while concentrating on the plot  - the allegory, the whimsy.     Can we tuck  away this  for consideration next December?
Also, how many of you are familiar with Dickens' Chimes or The Cricket on the Hearth?  If I had any time at all, I'd sit down and read these right now!
But the timer went off minutes ago...and I still wanted to tell you about the other article about books, as gifts in today's Post...

Back later!

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #117 on: December 19, 2013, 11:18:13 AM »
Thanks very much, Joan, for posting that link and your thoughts. I think we'll definitely want to talk about the Christmas Carol next year in light of this annotated version. Dirda says "Michael Patrick Hearn’s excellent annotated edition, which first appeared in 1976, has been reissued this year (though without any updating since its last appearance in 2004; the bibliography is noticeably out of date). Hearn — best known as an authority on children’s literature and on “The Wizard of Oz” in particular — provides a substantial introduction in which he tracks Dickens’s early career up through his 1842 visit to America and the composition of “A Christmas Carol” that followed in 1843." We might find inexpensive copies of the earlier versions to aid our discussion.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #118 on: December 19, 2013, 11:54:20 AM »
Has anyone here had trouble with Yahoo Mail recently?  I have not had it available for almost a week.  Just got it back up this morning.  I have their Customer Care number but its a long wait to find out that they aren't able to take my call.  30 minutes or more.
Talked to an operator once and she said I was locked into a phish loop.  That made me feel soooooooo much better!  hahahaha! Oh, she said they were working on it.  That quite a few folks were having the same problem.

We tried to watch "Sherlock" on Tuesday night but really found the presentation quite boring and so repetitive that we turned it off after 15 minutes.  I have it on DVR and might try to look at it in 30 minute increments.  That's if and when, I find the time!

bellamarie

« Reply #119 on: December 19, 2013, 01:00:13 PM »
Sorry I have been so busy I have not checked in for days.  All my kids are grown and married, and I have the six grandchildren who I daycare, so needless to say we are a very close knit family.  So, for Christmas as JoanP., pointed out, I like her still do the same things for our Christmas as I did when the kids were home.  The problem with that is I am now owner of my inhome daycare, teach CCD classes and am running to all the sports the grandkids are into, so time seems to be less even though it is just my retired hubby and me.  He is such a sweet guy, wrapped all the gifts which amounted to at least 100.  Now after my daycare Christmas party with my 5 little paying munchkins, then an after school part with the grandkids, and off to a CCD Christmas party all in one day.........I feel myself losing steam.  ONLY to get ready for our annual cookie bake/sleepover with all the grandkids tomorrow after daycare is done.  OH please let my winter break begin.....

Needless to say, I did not find the time to read the Sherlock Holmes short story.  But I am glad I took the time to read a couple Christmas mysteries before this insanity began.  I'm actually looking forward to our January book.  Not sure if it has been decided on yet.

Annie, I don't have yahoo mail, but I was very upset to learn today that Target has revealed they were hacked from Nov. 27 - Dec 15th putting millions of customers credit cards at risk.  So anyone who has shopped Target here in the U.S. watch your statements closely for any discrepancies.

Okay, need to move on, but in case I don't make it back due to the hustle and bustle of the next few days.....you all have a very
Merry Christmas!

Ciao for now~
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden