Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece 2014 Cont. - Downton Abbey & Other PBS programs  (Read 108787 times)

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
Re: PBS Masterpiece 2014 - Downton Abbey; Sherlock
« Reply #120 on: February 09, 2014, 09:34:47 PM »

Watch Season 4 of Downton Abbey during January and February 2014.

Sherlock, Season 3, returned, starting January 19, following the 9pm broadcast of Downton Abbey. Benedict Cumberbatch (The Fifth Estate, Star Trek Into Darkness) and Martin Freeman (The Hobbit, The Office UK) returned as Sherlock Holmes and John Watson in three new 90-minute episodes of the contemporary reinvention of the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle classic, created by Steven Moffat (Doctor Who) and Mark Gatiss. Watch episodes on TV or online after they air.

See the 2014 MASTERPIECE schedule.  

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP and marcie

Our PBS station showed Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes which I loved and I recorded it along with "Downton Abbey" and a movie entitled "The Making of a Lady".  Has anyone ever seen that? or even heard of it?
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

Frybabe

« Reply #121 on: February 10, 2014, 07:45:50 AM »
Only three Sherlock's this season, major bummer. Our PBS is not, that I noticed, showing the Jeremy Brett Holmes series. I agree, Adoannie, that his was super.

I didn't bother watching The Making of a Lady. It doesn't appeal to me, from the short blurb I read about it. Besides, I was reading a book I didn't want to interrupt. Maybe later.

Steph

« Reply #122 on: February 10, 2014, 08:49:44 AM »
Maggie Smith is such a glorious example of a long time actress. I loved the rerun last night where she managed to overcome Matthews Mother yet again.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

salan

« Reply #123 on: February 10, 2014, 06:50:08 PM »
You are so right Steph!  I was just thinking about actors that have (and still are) stood the test of time.  Judi Dench, Helen Mirren, Morgan Freeman, and others.
Sally

Steph

« Reply #124 on: February 11, 2014, 08:57:24 AM »
Most of them English.Their training is spectacular.

Poppaea

« Reply #125 on: February 11, 2014, 06:45:23 PM »
I did watch "The Making of a Lady" last night and thought it was pretty good. It is quite a suspense thriller in a way, with danger lurking in the huge old gothic-type mansion.  I probably would not watch it again though as the novel depends for its success on the gothic element and once one knows what happens there is no incentive to see it a second time.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #126 on: February 12, 2014, 02:27:40 AM »
Thanks, Hepeskin (and welcome to the discussion!). I'll check to see if the program is available "on demand."

Steph

« Reply #127 on: February 12, 2014, 08:55:37 AM »
mark

ursamajor

« Reply #128 on: February 12, 2014, 01:08:22 PM »
Present

Steph

« Reply #129 on: February 13, 2014, 07:54:41 AM »
I do wondor why the Brits do such a spectacular job of productions and we don't.. Hmm.

MaryPage

« Reply #130 on: February 13, 2014, 11:06:44 AM »
For some reason, the overall attitude in Great Britain is still a striving for excellence, even over and above money.

We are now totally craven here in the States.  Everything is money.  EVERYthing!

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #131 on: February 13, 2014, 12:27:54 PM »
Well there was Gettysburg, that was a pretty impressive production, and there are others, done by PBS and NOVA.

I'm not sure all British TV programs are up to the standard of  Downton Abbey, either.     But they do have good programming and shows.

Roots was another great production. I'm sure we can think of some uniquely American programs which were of quality, if we're speaking only of television programming.

Steph

« Reply #132 on: February 14, 2014, 08:05:50 AM »
We have a very few that are up to Brits standards. For one, I hated Roots and thought the overacting was really stupid.. When I am in England, I do laugh however.Their humor is a bit ruder than ours and some of their reality type shows are way way over the top.

Frybabe

« Reply #133 on: February 14, 2014, 08:29:23 AM »
My Mom, who was Welsh, could never understand British humor. Go figure.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #134 on: February 14, 2014, 01:55:57 PM »
Never realized that our British humor was hard to understand. I use to think  that Americans didn't have any when first here.  
I notice it at times when I  go to see a British film. I can be laughing alone.. Yet on some US movie  Americans they are  rolling in their seats and I don't see any thing funny..I don't think British humor makes fun of people as US do. We sort of sympathise more.

Frybabe

« Reply #135 on: February 15, 2014, 07:09:00 AM »
I remember when  I was a teen, I was amazed that Mom didn't get the British humor. I had no problem with it. My first encounters probably would have been on Jack Parr and/or Ed Sullivan show. We watched Rumple of the Bailey and Steptoe and Son, but I think they came later. Even later, the all the British sit-coms that PBS showed. Who could forget Benny Hill or Are You Being Served?

jeriron

« Reply #136 on: February 15, 2014, 09:15:42 AM »
My favorite was Fawlty Towers. They don't show that too much on PBS. Of course my very favorite is "As Time Goes By", But that's really not a comedy, I guess.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #137 on: February 15, 2014, 01:01:04 PM »
Those sat.night Brit com. Shows been on for ever. Time they got some new ones. Don't know what pbs does with all the millions donated. They only had to pay for them 1 time. So many newer ones been on in UK. Buy a few.

Steph

« Reply #138 on: February 15, 2014, 02:15:33 PM »
They used to have a really far out reality show in London.. It was supposed to surprise peopleThe one time I tuned it in.. Probably mid 80's.. They actually showed up a t a house and repainted it while the owners were off to work.. I mean a really bright color.. I am not quite sure I would have thought it was funny if I had owned it.

Frybabe

« Reply #139 on: February 15, 2014, 04:39:35 PM »
I am not particularly fond of Absolutely Fabulous, but George likes it. Yes, I used to like Brit night, at least four comedies back to back after Lawrence Welk.

Steph

« Reply #140 on: February 16, 2014, 09:33:06 AM »
Ah Sunday, time for another dose of wonderful castles and far off problems.

salan

« Reply #141 on: February 16, 2014, 06:23:18 PM »
I am also enjoying the new (to our area) Doc Martin.  Such good acting in both Downton and Doc.
Sally

Frybabe

« Reply #142 on: February 17, 2014, 07:10:38 AM »
I watched Murder on the Home Front on my PBS station last night.  Set during WWII, it follows a forensic technician trying to solve a series of murders while trying to convince the police of the value of proper evidence gathering and analysis. The police routinely are contaminating evidence and leading suspects into confessing to things they didn't do through threats and intimidation. It didn't get into trying to convince the court system to see the value of the new forensic methods to convict (or not). I do not know if this was a once and done or the beginning of a series.

Steph

« Reply #143 on: February 17, 2014, 07:50:20 AM »
Iam always a week behind on Downton, but enjoy it anyway. Was really funny to see Lady Mary and the pigs.. I also feel for Edith..There must be a solution for her.She was so happy for such a short time.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #144 on: February 17, 2014, 01:47:12 PM »
I thought that the were really rushing through the show .(Dalton Abbey ) last night. Trying to get a little of everything covered. It was No. 7 now I am thinking that only be 8.  So what will be the cliff hanger? I don't think Anne husband is involved in the death of ( you know who.)

Only Rosemary knows... Along with my UK family and they know not to tell.. It is getting sort of like US. Soap operas  now Plots are easy to figure out.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #145 on: February 17, 2014, 01:51:31 PM »
Need to go to library today.  Wonder if they are again closed for Presidents' Day

Snowing here again here today. Not been out for 3 days. They do promise  us 45 deg. On Tuesday.

Maybe get out then.

Did anyone see on the news this morning that the Minister of this church who sometimes had that big snake with him when preaching.  It bit him and he didn't dash fast to emergency room. Well he died. Today. He was wrong thinking that G-D would not let it hurt him.  One can believe to strongly...

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #146 on: February 18, 2014, 12:55:49 AM »
Downtown Abbey was interesting. Mr. Bates last word on the topic to Anna was that he wouldn't do anything without thinking it through (or something like that). That definitely could be read both ways (he did it or he wouldn't have done it!)

Mary now has three suitors!!!?

Steph

« Reply #147 on: February 18, 2014, 08:51:57 AM »
well Mary is rich and I think back in those times, her husband would automatically control her money...so yes I bet she does have suiters.. Took the quiz on characters on facebook and I came out as Mrs.Hughes.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #148 on: February 18, 2014, 11:10:51 AM »
Steph, those three guys don't seem like they would be after her money. The Downtown estate is in trouble anyway and it sounds like it will take a lot of work to keep it running.

Mrs. Hughes is definitely growing in my estimation. She's been courageous and done so many things over the past few episodes to help many of the staff members.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #149 on: February 18, 2014, 01:07:45 PM »
Next week being the last of this section of Downton I can see next season will be about Mary and her suitors.

The Teapot Dome scandal was in the early 20s - do we get into the early 30s do you think? My gut says that's when Michael Gregson surfaces. I bet he is somehow wrapped up in German Politics. However, in the 20s Hitler was a nobody, a returning vet living hand to mouth but there was the party that he was affiliated with and he wanted to put his hometown on the map. However, we do have Cora's brother coming from America in the next series - is that Lady Edith's solution so she does not have to give up her baby and she will live in America with Cora's brother who will find her an American husband.

I too think Bates was about other business when he took his day in York - I think it will be some huge surprise he is arranging for Anna.

I wonder if Moseley and Baxter tie the knot - it may be a shadow story that follows Mary's expolits upstairs. And what abut Thomas - does he cause trouble that forces Baxter's hand so that she spills what she knows about Anna which may not name Green but with so many in the house now knowing and then does Bates blame Anna because in his mind she was too friendly enjoying Green's company.

And Daisy - dear Daisy - if the story goes to the Depression that may be a huge change to the staff as Downton would not be able to support and Daisy may go on to the farm. In fact that may be the logical end wrapping up a way of life that soon became extinct with modern appliances making it possible to run a household even as large as Downton just as we see the special about Highclere Castle successfully housing the 8th Earl of Carnarvon and his family.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

CallieOK

« Reply #150 on: February 18, 2014, 02:26:52 PM »
I read this week that three new characters are being added to Downton Abbey for Season 5.
Richard E. Grant will play Simon Bricker, "who visits the wavering estate as a guest of the Crawleys", Anna Chancellor will be in a guest role as Lady Anstruther.
 Rade Sherbedgia will play a Russian refugee.   Hmmm....will he and Mr. Gregson return together or will he come to bring news of Mr. G.?  Either way, it will be yet another person from a different culture for the Granthams to deal with.

I agree that Mr. Bates was about other business.  Maybe looking for another position so he can get Anna away from the Vicious Valet?  

Looks as if Thomas may be losing his source of gossip.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #151 on: February 18, 2014, 10:12:44 PM »
But bates won't have to leave because now the rapist is dead. I think that Thomas will be out of the show next. Baxter will tell something on him as to why he is blackmailing. Then she will end up with Mosley who will get Thomas job.

CallieOK

« Reply #152 on: February 18, 2014, 10:31:35 PM »
True - and that story line could take quite a while to spin.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #153 on: February 18, 2014, 10:44:44 PM »
Can't see Thomas going while there is still a downstairs - the story plot needs a Villon and Thomas has filled that role nicely plus there are some likeable qualities about him and over the series he has done a few nice things - granted for selfish reasons but he is not all bad. We did feel for him when all his contraband was useless that he invested all his money into.Now I could see Mr. Carson retiring and since the family likes Mosely he would take over an even smaller staff.  
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Steph

« Reply #154 on: February 19, 2014, 08:44:31 AM »
I cannot see Carson retiring and I honestly think that Lady Cora would be bereft without him. She depends on him for everything. I am keeping my fingers crossed for Edith. She deserves a better shot at life.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #155 on: February 19, 2014, 01:17:22 PM »
Yes, you are probably right, Carson is one of those who will die at his job.

I had not known about the Russian coming in the next section of this story - yes, that could be where Edith's love has gone - as a reporter he must have been wanting to see for himself - wasn't the movie Red with Warren Beatty taking place in the 20s and early 30s -

With the Olympics turning the lights on Russian art and the beauty of some of their buildings it is making me want to start a delve into some Russian literature - Chekov who wrote mostly plays is someone who I never read - wouldn't it be grand to see the collection of Farberge eggs all in one location.

MaryPage

« Reply #156 on: February 19, 2014, 01:22:05 PM »
I'm wondering if that tenant farmer who has just come back to Downton (from?) and taken over his Dad's farm and now taken on the new pig investment is married.

If not, Edith could marry him on condition he agree to be a good father to her unborn child.  And then, several years down the road, there they would be, minding pigs and living happily with a pretty little Earl's grandchild, when back to Downton pops up the real father!

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #157 on: February 19, 2014, 10:01:56 PM »
I think MaryPage that was a suggested solution made by Edith- it appears he is married and Edith thought a good couple that she could see her child growing up and even visit at times however, both her Aunt and her Grandmother pointed out someone could spill the beans or wonder why she was visiting so often or the child could end up looking like her so the child would be better out of Edith's life and raised elsewhere by a loving couple - Switzerland was last the chosen destination.

Steph

« Reply #158 on: February 20, 2014, 08:05:11 AM »
In that period, the solution of Switzerland makes sense, but for Edith, it might be the last joy she ever has. Maybe she could makes a detour to see if she can find Michael, don't think she is quite that brave however.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #159 on: February 20, 2014, 12:57:39 PM »
Edith and aunt will leave for Europe on Sundays last show. This will be one cliffhanger so wont hear about her again until next series. They will leave a few hangers this time. Some people stopped watching past few weeks. They want people back on order to keep it running. To me Thomas not been interesting lately. I wouldn't. Miss him. Daisy will do more. If he FIL signed the farm to her she will be a rich women. That could bring the young man back in.  Won't do much with Rose  and the Coloured man. She could run off and that will end her in the show.

So only time will tell us ( or our families in UK who are a season ahead.)