Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece 2014 Cont. - Downton Abbey & Other PBS programs  (Read 109066 times)

marcie

• Administrator
Re: PBS Masterpiece 2014 Cont. - Miss Marple, The Paradise, Inspector Lewis
« Reply #560 on: September 22, 2014, 11:20:45 AM »

See the 2014 MASTERPIECE schedule.  

NOW DISCUSSING

This summer (June 15 - September 7) we're talking about new and continuing series: THE ESCAPE ARTIST (June 15-22): David Tennant (Doctor Who) and Sophie Okonedo (Hotel Rwanda) star in a gripping legal thriller; ENDEAVOUR, Season 2 (June 29 to July 20): Shaun Evans returns for a second season with four all-new mysteries as young Endeavour Morse, before his signature red Jaguar...but with his deductive powers already running in high gear; HERCULE POIROT, Season 12 (July 27 to August 3): David Suchet returns as the suave Belgian super-sleuth in two new mysteries; BREATHLESS (August 24 to September 7): In this stylish and compelling new medical drama set in London in 1961, Jack Davenport (Smash, Pirates of the Caribbean) stars as a brilliant surgeon who believes he can make a difference in women’s lives. MISS MARPLE, Season VII (September 21 -28): Get a double dose of Marple as season VII kicks off on Sunday, Sept. 21! A Caribbean Mystery at 8pm and Greenshaw's Folly at 9:30pm. Check local listings.  THE PARADISE, Season 2 (September 28- November 16) Time has not stood still since last season’s wedding disaster. Moray, Denise, and Katherine reunite under a new regime. INSPECTOR LEWIS, Season VII (October 5 - 19): Will Inspector Lewis retire and leave DI Hathaway on his own?  

ALREADY DISCUSSED

Watch Season 2 of SELFRIDGE March 30 through May 18.

Season 4 of Downton Abbey during January and February 2014.

Sherlock, Season 3, returned, starting January 19, following the 9pm broadcast of Downton Abbey. Benedict Cumberbatch (The Fifth Estate, Star Trek Into Darkness) and Martin Freeman (The Hobbit, The Office UK) returned as Sherlock Holmes and John Watson in three new 90-minute episodes of the contemporary reinvention of the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle classic, created by Steven Moffat (Doctor Who) and Mark Gatiss. Watch episodes on TV or online after they air.

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP and marcie

marcie

• Administrator
Re: PBS Masterpiece 2014 Cont. - Miss Marple, Inspector Lewis
« Reply #561 on: September 22, 2014, 11:21:38 AM »
I enjoyed the two mysteries last evening. I too was wondering if the James Bond bit was an "addition."  I thought most of the actors were excellent. I couldn't recall where I'd seen Fiona Shaw in Greenshaw's Folly. She was the muggle Aunt Petunia in the Harry Potter movies.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #562 on: September 22, 2014, 11:57:31 AM »
I enjoyed both the Miss Marple mysteries last night.  Joan Hickson is my favorite Miss Marple but I enjoyed Julia McKenzie also.  That was an interesting little insert about Ian Flemming and James Bond.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #563 on: September 22, 2014, 12:29:07 PM »
I didn't think he was supposed to represent the real James Bond but that he just happened to have the same name - whatever it was a bit that I could not see how it helped the story along - I found myself being confused with too many plots but then it could have been the setting that I was not as prepared to see Miss Marple -

The second one the police chief or whatever he was is a new actor to me - he seemed so demanding and gruff so that I thought his being patient when Miss Marple sums up what happened was out of character - I thought he would only give her a few seconds to get to the point but she seemed to take much more time. I thought all the actors for each character in the second one were spot on.

Golly Domestic abuse is getting highlighted all over the place - I am sure this was in the can as they say for quite some time and yet there we are reminded again of the plight of the victims of Domestic Abuse. 
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Frybabe

« Reply #564 on: September 22, 2014, 01:49:39 PM »
Barb, I think the bat guano that the ornithologist said something about how valuable bat guano was as fertilizer. Apparently that little tidbit was a clue to who the murderer was. There must have been a comment in there somewhere about bat guano being in abundance on resort property, but I missed the reference if there was.

Ian Fleming lived in Jamaica and knew of the real James Bond. It was his name that gave Fleming the name for his leading character in the spy thrillers. Dr. No was set in Jamaica. It was not his first novel, although it was the first Bond movie.

Well, that's a little off topic. Back to Miss Marple. Of the two shown last night, I liked Greenshaw's Folly better. I thought that Martin Compston looked very familiar, but it turns out I've seen nothing (that I remember) of his. Bobby Smalldridge was adorable as Archie. Judy Parfitt was just marvelous as the befuddled Cicely. You'll be seeing here in upcoming Call the Midwife episodes (IMDB says 2015).

mabel1015j

« Reply #565 on: September 22, 2014, 02:02:35 PM »
We aren't getting the Miss Marple mysteries on any of the 3 PBS stations we can get. I hope they come on one of them later.

Jean

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #566 on: September 22, 2014, 05:15:43 PM »
I'm don't think the bit about selling the land for guano was in the book, And I'm not sure the spousal abuse in "The Folly" was either. I bet she was a widow in the original I didn't remember the plot until it got to the "pile of carp."

The "Caribbean" was ok, but they left out my favorite part: Miss Marple as nemesis. I'll never forget, Helen Hayes creeping between buildings being nemesis in tennis shoes.   

MaryPage

« Reply #567 on: September 22, 2014, 05:20:53 PM »
I enjoyed BOTH Miss Marples last night, but I, too, liked the 2nd one better.  It was both Fiona Shaw and Judy Parfitt who made it very special for me;  I could just eat either of them with a spoon!
No, she is not my favorite Miss Marple, and I have been watching them all since Margaret Rutherford.  Rutherford did NOT fit the description one iota, but Oh Lordy, she was FUN!  I could watch those over and over, but Joan Hickson WAS Miss Marple.  She embodied the Miss Marple I read about in the books.  Perfect casting.
But I will be a fan of any and all Miss Marples forevermore.  Bring 'em on!
Murder in the Caribbean was never a favorite, however.  Keep 'er in the villages, say I!

nlhome

« Reply #568 on: September 22, 2014, 05:28:22 PM »
I did watch both Miss Marple episodes last night, too. The weekend had been busy, and I was tired so meant to turn off the second, the Folly, but then got interested as I tried to remember the story it was based on and how it would end. I did enjoy the characters more in that one.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #569 on: September 27, 2014, 01:55:20 PM »
I do not know if everyone's fall line up on PBS is the same but what an unusual way they have altered programs by week this fall - the Paradise is coming back - another about Department stores where the guy was betrothed to the girl whose father funded the store and now it looks like the father and his group have purchased all the surrounding property and here he decided not to go through with the marriage declaring in that last episode his love for the featured young girl who has so many good ideas and is a salesgirl - from the costume it appears to be taking place earlier in time than Selfridge -

Well they are showing the new series of 7 on alternate weekends with Masterpiece mysteries, mostly Inspector Lewis and Miss Marple. And so instead of seeing Paradise week after week for 7 weeks it will be spread out over I think it is 12 weeks with the last two back to back - interesting.

I do hope in time they repeat the Roosevelt series - that was awful - night after night for a solid week - who has every night of the week free to watch TV?  
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #570 on: September 28, 2014, 12:06:00 PM »
our PBS is showing Paradise at 8pm and Mystery at 9pm.  I enjoy the mysteries but not a fan of Paradise.  PBS.com reran the Roosevelt series and I looked at the last one on my iPad.  I actually enjoy looking at videos and movies on my iPad.  It is smaller than TV but the details are much clearer for my aging eyes.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #571 on: September 28, 2014, 12:26:49 PM »
Tonight here on PBS  David Suchet will talk about the Agatha Christie nobody knew, it looks wonderful, and begins at 10:30. PM, would have to set a recorder for that one!

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #572 on: September 28, 2014, 12:44:12 PM »
Yes, Jean, our PBS station is also showing the last MISS MARPLE of the season and the first PARADISE of the season 2 series, tonight.

Thanks, Ginny, for mentioning the David Suchet program. I checked and our PBS station will also show it tonight. "David Suchet profiles Agatha Christie (1890-1976), whose murder-mysteries are among the most popular books in the world. Included: the landscapes that inspired her; insights from people who knew her; and the links between her life and her books."

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #573 on: September 29, 2014, 12:34:39 AM »
something tells me Moray will end up not marrying Denise - Kathryn's husband is a piece isn't he - could not figure out what the deal was when he was moaning in the secret room behind the bookcase - his back was cut but could not tell if they were fresh cuts or scars.

And Miss Marple was the craziest thing - nothing like the village happenings or the goings on in a great house - what is this her visiting Europe - no quiet lady knitting and observing but then, to have her figure out what was going on with no backup either police or friends - scary or not it was just too out of character so that I really did not enjoy it at all.

The program with David Suchet was interesting and more to my satisfaction of a lovely way to end a Sunday evening.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #574 on: September 29, 2014, 01:36:26 AM »
There were a lot of characters acting distastefully in THE PARADISE. Since the program will not be renewed after this season, I would think that Moray would marry Denise and we'd have a happy ending.

Yes, Miss Marple was filled with weird characters too, Barbara. I too didn't think it was in keeping with the usual Miss Marple mysteries.

I hope to watch the David Suchet program "on demand" this week.

Frybabe

« Reply #575 on: September 29, 2014, 07:08:25 AM »
Sigh, I watched a few minutes of the Miss Marple, didn't like it, didn't even see Miss Marple.

Didn't notice if there was a David Suchet program about Miss Marple scheduled on my station. Will have to keep an eye out.

Not a Paradise watcher.

Instead, I watched the first and a few minutes of the second program on Smithsonian Channel about Ankor Watt.

MaryPage

« Reply #576 on: September 29, 2014, 07:42:37 AM »
I watched THE PARADISE and enjoyed it thoroughly.  The Miss Marple was so far over the top that my disappointment was palpable;  however, that did not stop me from watching it all the way to the unlikely ending.  I suppose I kept thinking it would get better.  Then I watched the first episode of season one of Line of Duty, which has had 2 highly successful seasons in Great Britain and been much acclaimed.  They are contracted for both a 3rd and a 4th season.  Anyway, it is most excellent, but a real downer insofar as portraying police corruption is concerned.  The acting is superb.  I think I will gather my courage and watch it every week. 

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #577 on: September 29, 2014, 08:37:46 AM »
I saw the last 15 minutes of Miss Marple waiting for the Suchet to start. I agree with  Barbara that the Suchet  was a lovely way to end a Sunday,  even tho I only saw,  again,  about 15 minutes of it , also, as I taped it, it was lovely. Beautiful filming. I have always wanted to go to is it Greenway, Christie's home, I understand they really do the experience  well there.   I have never been in Devon, so haven't gone.

Lovely scene in the garden there where the ? docent ? pointed to a leaf which yielded cyanide (was it?) and explained about cyanide and how Christie, who worked as a pharmacist? Or in a pharmacy? Was most pleased to get a letter from some pharmacological association praising her accurate portrayal of how the crystals fell in a glass or something, then they showed a scene from Poirot of this same effect.  Really nice.  Lovely piece. I taped it for later viewing.

I kind of liked the new actress as Miss Marple, it's the first time I have seen her, she's a good actress,  and since I really didn't SEE the whole thing,  I can't say about the episode, tho I also thought it was frightening and she really seemed  alone. I think a little out of character for Miss Marple, as this actress  is a lot younger than Joan Hickson (or seems so) when Hickson did the series.  I am not sure I can imagine Joan Hickson running thru the woods, tho I am sure she was capable,  even at 86, was it, when she filmed the series? That part was simultaneously well done and frightening and out of character. I had just injured my knee a while back and the one thing that has frightened me more than anything else is I can't (at present) run, so could not run away from anything or anybody, though, reality check:  truth, be told, who really CAN out run a 30 year old man? So that's been on my mind, so this thing was especially scary.

Somehow the knitter using her brain for activity seems more in character. That said, I did like the new actress and hope to see her in the episode you all liked last week so much. I think, like the character Scrooge, there is room for several Miss Marples, tho in my opinion there really will only be one definitive one, Joan Hickson.  And I think Suchet has forever closed the door for any more Poirots.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #578 on: September 29, 2014, 01:41:46 PM »
I was so disappointed in last night's Miss Marple.  I like the actress but the story was too out of character for the usual Agatha Christie story, I didn't watch the whole thing.  I forgot about David Suchet's special but will look at it, hopefully, on PBS.com this week.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #579 on: September 29, 2014, 02:03:05 PM »
The actress in Miss Marple last night is the same girl in Paradise - Denise, Moray's little Champion and love interest.

And did you notice the maid or whatever her title the gal who made the bed in the Miss Marple, Greenshaw's Folly was one of the leads, Dorcus Lane in Lark Rise to Candleford.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #580 on: September 29, 2014, 02:45:56 PM »
No I missed that.

Julia Mackensie who is the new Miss Marple, was born in 1941.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #581 on: September 30, 2014, 11:45:16 AM »
I missed that also, Barbara. I did think the actors were good but agree with the comments that the story didn't seem a "Miss Marple" mystery.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #582 on: September 30, 2014, 03:58:11 PM »
I wish my memory was better. The Folly is a Christie story, and I know I've read it because I knew from the beginning who the murderer was and the back story. But I don't think Christie told it from the same point of view.

I wonder if originally, it was a Poirot story. Does anyone else know?

The David Suchet was interesting. I knew a lot of it from reading, but loved seeing the pictures and seeing her. I especially loved the film of her running into the ocean so happily!

I notice that they left out all the speculation that she disappeared because she was planning to murder her husband's mistress! I was surprised at how lonely the place where she left her car was. I thought it was near an inn or pub.

MaryPage

« Reply #583 on: October 01, 2014, 08:04:25 AM »
Try this site.  Scroll way down to find Greenshaw's Folly.  Apparently it WAS a Christie short story, but quite different?  Mebbe?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adventure_of_the_Christmas_Pudding

jeriron

« Reply #584 on: October 01, 2014, 10:40:42 AM »
"Endless Night" the third of the new Miss Marble shown last Sunday on PBS was one of Christie's stand alone mysteries. Miss Marble was added to it. She was not in the book. A lot of people didn't like it because it wasn't like all the Miss Marble stories. That's because it wasn't a Marble story. Why they decided to make it one, I have no idea.

MaryPage

« Reply #585 on: October 01, 2014, 11:25:32 AM »
Thanks for solving THAT mystery, as it were.  I could not remember it at all, and that, of course, is because it was NOT a Miss Marple.  No wonder inserting her into the story made it seem so unlike one of hers:  she had no DCI to interact with and advise, she appeared all by herself over and over in situations Miss Marple would NEVER have been part of!  Nope, it was extremely lame as far as Miss Marple's part in it was concerned!  Scheesch!  They should KNOW better!  They are reaching too far!

Frybabe

« Reply #586 on: October 01, 2014, 02:08:07 PM »
Well, that is interesting jeriron. I didn't get far enough into the show to see Miss Marple appear. I just didn't care for it or the people at all.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #587 on: October 01, 2014, 04:25:51 PM »
ah - so that is why it seemed so out of character for a Miss Marple - between that creation and last season's crazy Sherlock Holmes creation you have to wonder why not simply do something fresh without dragging these tried and true characters into another galaxy.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #588 on: October 01, 2014, 10:48:21 PM »
between that creation and last season's crazy Sherlock Holmes creation you have to wonder why not simply do something fresh without dragging these tried and true characters into another galaxy.

So true, Barbara. The way you phrased that (dragging the characters into another galaxy) made me laugh out loud. :-)

salan

« Reply #589 on: October 02, 2014, 04:29:56 AM »
I watched, and thoroughly enjoyed, the David Suchet about Agatha Christie.  I haven't watched Miss Marple yet; but have in on my dvr.  I thought The Paradise was rather boring. Too bad.
Sally 

MaryPage

« Reply #590 on: October 02, 2014, 08:40:57 AM »
I thought this Season 2 we are just entering with The Paradise would also be the last, and that therefore a lot of final (read "happily ever after") things would be taking place.  So, eager to know what is ahead, I Googled Season Two, only to find a Season 3 is in the works.  Shoot!  Well, now I know what happens in this season, as I read all the episode plots.  Don't worry;  I do not plan to spoil anything for you, except to say that all WILL NOT be resolved at the end of this season.  Bummer!

I am finding more and more I like to come to the End of a story.  Guess it is my age?

jeriron

« Reply #591 on: October 02, 2014, 09:05:26 AM »
I find that with books. I think it's because I just want to move on to the next  book. I'm finding I like short stories.

MaryPage

« Reply #592 on: October 05, 2014, 08:18:52 AM »
I am still not enamoured of short stories.  My complaint is rather with book SERIES that never end, and even more so, television series that never end.  I think my favorites are those (shows) that go for one season of six to thirteen episodes and give us a final end without having to go into another year.

nlhome

« Reply #593 on: October 05, 2014, 10:20:16 AM »
I enjoy short stories, especially at times like now when I have a lot of reading to do for my volunteer projects and need something short and light.

I missed the 3rd Miss Marple. Last night there was a repeat of a Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries, "Murder Most Scandalous." So I skipped that (it would have been the 3rd time for that episode), but the beginning of the 3rd season of Death in Paradise followed, and I did enjoy that program. It's light and intriguing. I think I enjoyed it also because of the warm and sunny setting, while we had snow yesterday morning and cold winds.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #594 on: October 05, 2014, 12:24:41 PM »
S-N-O-W !!!! IN October!!! Where are you nlhome?  

Oh my - had the leaves turned - are they still on the trees or have they already blown off with bare trees? And here I am annoyed because I wanted to go swimming today and it is only in the low 70s but Snow - and in EARLY October - that is a long winter.

Do you have plants on your windowsill - I can see lots of time for reading and other indoor activities but I bet you are not out of doors as much as when you were a young women - I can see why you would have to join many groups rather than being alone at home but it is blowing me away to really hear what the weather map says but is easy to ignore thinking of it like a colorful cartoon - Snow in early October - wow.

How do you keep the winter blues away? I am really curious - really - do you heat with a fire in the fireplace or steam or forced air? And do you have lots of plants and bulbs in your house or do you love winter and love seeing everything covered in snow? Do you cook lots of soups and stews as comfort food? Please share...where are you, and how you manage heating and eating with a long winter and how you feel about long winters and are plants in the house important?

nlhome

« Reply #595 on: October 05, 2014, 01:07:42 PM »
Such a lot of questions, Barb - I live in southern Wisconsin. The snow didn't stay around long, but it was on the ground when I got up. Actually, my husband got up with the dog about 5 am yesterday and brought a snowball back in with him. by the time we were up and out to the farmers' market, the snow was gone, but it was windy and cold. We had a fairly hard frost this morning, so tender plants are now gone.

Most of the trees in our town are just starting to turn color, although some of the maples are bright orange and we do have a pile of leaves in our yard. I expect with the frost now that we will have more color. We'll take a drive this afternoon along the Wisconsin River and see how the color is up that way. It should be beautiful because today we have sunshine.

I can't have many plants or flowers because I have a cat that loves to chew and dig them out. I've found snake plants survive, but they aren't that pretty. We do have a grow light set up in the basement, though, and for some reason, possibly the wire racks the plants are on, the cat leaves plants down there alone, so I have plants down there. One winter I grew lettuce, and that was fun, so I think I'll do that again this year. I also have some herbs in a window box above the kitchen sink.

We have a puppy, so need to go out a lot, and we make it a point to try to walk every day - down for coffee. Our library, TV and books keep us busy, but we both have meetings and groups that we belong to so we must go out. We live in a small town, so it's not far to stores or the library or meetings, and on good days we jump in the car and head out to someplace else.

But winter is long and as you say, as I get older it's harder to bear. The snow is beautiful, but as time goes on it gets dirty and grubby, until the next snowfall. I love the first snowfall that sticks. After that, no thanks. Driving in it is no fun. This year we'll take at least one short trip to Georgia.

My husband is the cook - we do eat stews and roast in the winter, and a lot of chili. I tend to bake more in winter.

Sunshine is important - we have a big southern exposure, and we really appreciate that in winter.

I'm trying to think of some good books set in winter that would give you some atmosphere.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #596 on: October 05, 2014, 01:40:47 PM »
MaryPage, I can't find info on a third season of THE PARADISE ... not that I want to "see" ahead :-)

The few articles I've read say that it wasn't renewed. See the wiki article at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Paradise_%28TV_series%29#Series_2

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #597 on: October 05, 2014, 02:15:57 PM »
nlhome you make it sound quite lovely - thanks for giving a profile of your life - it is really a nice way to picture you when I see your name here as a contributor -

Fun, a snowball in the morning - I was thinking as here, when every few years we do get snow NO ONE, who wants to keep their car in one piece and their body in working order drives - we have no clue how and those who have moved here more recently do not understand there are a few from Austin that attempt to take to the roads with awful consequences - anyhow the thought of you taking a drive after a snow to see the colors of autumn helps me see you as part of the scene, cold weather and all -

Ah yes, soups, stews and chilli good eating and filling. In that area I am grateful for our mild climate that makes eating lots of salads and fish a natural and funny we have very few trees that ever turn and when they do it is late November and early December.  

Because of the recent rain, the lakes are still only 35% full, everything is in bloom all over town - the Lantana is especially vivid this year and so where you have leaf color we have autumn colored flowers. Not mums that are available in the grocery but lots of Sage, Copper Canyon Daisy, Oxblood Lilies, Esperanza and of course the Lantana that comes in a variety of colors.

Here is Lantana
and here is Oxblood Lily

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #598 on: October 05, 2014, 02:22:46 PM »
Oh thanks marcie for that link - it is so easy for me to confuse this series with Selfredge - the main characters in both I have in my head it is the secondary characters and their stories that I get mixed.

nlhome

« Reply #599 on: October 05, 2014, 03:09:46 PM »
I grew lantana in pots this year - our new puppy took a piece off every time she went down the steps on the deck - no blossoms left. I hear it can be kept over winter in the house - maybe I'll try a pot.

Thanks for the pictures.