Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece 2014 Cont. - Downton Abbey & Other PBS programs  (Read 109024 times)

CubFan

Re: PBS Masterpiece 2014 Cont. - The Paradise, Death Comes to Pemberley
« Reply #600 on: October 05, 2014, 03:31:35 PM »

See the 2014 MASTERPIECE schedule.  

NOW DISCUSSING

This summer (June 15 - September 7) we're talking about new and continuing series: THE ESCAPE ARTIST (June 15-22): David Tennant (Doctor Who) and Sophie Okonedo (Hotel Rwanda) star in a gripping legal thriller; ENDEAVOUR, Season 2 (June 29 to July 20): Shaun Evans returns for a second season with four all-new mysteries as young Endeavour Morse, before his signature red Jaguar...but with his deductive powers already running in high gear; HERCULE POIROT, Season 12 (July 27 to August 3): David Suchet returns as the suave Belgian super-sleuth in two new mysteries; BREATHLESS (August 24 to September 7): In this stylish and compelling new medical drama set in London in 1961, Jack Davenport (Smash, Pirates of the Caribbean) stars as a brilliant surgeon who believes he can make a difference in women’s lives. MISS MARPLE, Season VII (September 21 -28): Get a double dose of Marple as season VII kicks off on Sunday, Sept. 21! A Caribbean Mystery at 8pm and Greenshaw's Folly at 9:30pm. Check local listings.  THE PARADISE, Season 2 (September 28- November 16) Time has not stood still since last season’s wedding disaster. Moray, Denise, and Katherine reunite under a new regime. INSPECTOR LEWIS, Season VII (October 5 - 19): Will Inspector Lewis retire and leave DI Hathaway on his own?  DEATH COMES TO PEMBERLEY (October 26; November 2),  Six years after the end of Jane Austen's timeless classic, Pride and Prejudice, Elizabeth and Darcy plan a ball...with fatal consequences. Watch a star-studded adaptation of crime-writer P.D. James' bestselling whodunit. Starring Anna Maxwell Martin (Bleak House, South Riding) as quick-witted Elizabeth Darcy, Matthew Rhys (The Americans) as the principled Mr. Darcy, Matthew Goode (The Good Wife) as the roguish Wickham, and Jenna Coleman as coquettish minx Lydia (Doctor Who). The Worricker Trilogy, parts 2 and 3 (November 9; 16). Page Eight, Turks & Caicos, and Salting the Battlefield form The Worricker Trilogy—three gripping films that follow the exploits of the intensely private and scrupulous Worricker—from MI5 headquarters in London to exile on a Caribbean island to life on the run with his former lover and fellow agent. Featuring Bill Nighy, the all-star cast also includes Oscar winner Christopher Walken (The Deer Hunter), and Oscar nominees Winona Ryder (Little Women, The Age of Innocence), Helena Bonham Carter (The King’s Speech, The Wings of the Dove), Ralph Fiennes (The English Patient, Schindler’s List), and Judy Davis (Husbands and Wives, A Passage to India). Also starring are Rupert Graves (Sherlock), Saskia Reeves (Wallander), and Ewen Bremner (Black Hawk Down). 

ALREADY DISCUSSED

Watch Season 2 of SELFRIDGE March 30 through May 18.

Season 4 of Downton Abbey during January and February 2014.

Sherlock, Season 3, returned, starting January 19, following the 9pm broadcast of Downton Abbey. Benedict Cumberbatch (The Fifth Estate, Star Trek Into Darkness) and Martin Freeman (The Hobbit, The Office UK) returned as Sherlock Holmes and John Watson in three new 90-minute episodes of the contemporary reinvention of the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle classic, created by Steven Moffat (Doctor Who) and Mark Gatiss. Watch episodes on TV or online after they air.

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP and marcie

Greetings -

I live 2 hours north east of nlhome, and thankfully we didn't get the snow. I was watching that weather develop though because I had friends who had their annual camping weekend scheduled south west of her and cancelled after hearing the snow forecast.  We don't usually have snow this early but 49 years ago when I went into the hospital to have my daughter (in Milwaukee) on the 19th of October is was a beautiful summer day and when I came out 5 days later I had to wear snow boots & a winter coat. Winter in all its glory was here to stay. Our rule of thumb in Wisconsin is - if you don't like the weather today, just wait until tomorrow - it'll change.

Mary
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson

nlhome

Re: PBS Masterpiece 2014 Cont. - Miss Marple, The Paradise, Inspector Lewis
« Reply #601 on: October 05, 2014, 07:19:02 PM »
Let's hope we have some of "October's bright blue weather" for the rest of the month.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #602 on: October 05, 2014, 08:01:42 PM »
Barbara, yes, they are so similar that I've gotten THE PARADISE and SELFRIDGE confused too. It seems odd that there would be two "BBC" programs produced at the same time that are so alike.

MaryPage

« Reply #603 on: October 06, 2014, 07:42:33 AM »
When I googled to read spoilers of Season 2 of The Paradise, I found references to Season 3 and what might happen that gave me reason to believe there was to BE a Season 3, and that Season 2 had been ended in such a way as to allow for that.
I go back and find that was dated December 2013.
Then, in February 2014, The Daily Mail announced that The Paradise Season 3 had been cancelled.
Bummer!  Not because I WANT a Season 3;  I really don't care one way or the other, and would prefer all my shows have one season and give me an ending.  BUT, now I am upset because the writers, expecting a Season 3, did not, apparently, give us an ending.  Dang.
So we are to watch a Season 2 that will, when all is said and done, leave us slowly twisting in the zephyrs, as it were.
Oh, well.

Frybabe

« Reply #604 on: October 06, 2014, 07:46:27 AM »
Watched Inspector Lewis last night. Enjoyed it.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #605 on: October 06, 2014, 08:11:28 AM »
I too enjoyed it - been trying to put my finger on the role of each - the story sort of unraveled with each actor playing an important part rather than Hathaway uncovering who done it. Not much personality or personal feelings shown from Hathaway and so I wonder where they are going with this - they needed Lewis back in the story to give it some life.

MaryPage looks like we will all be imagining our own ending - as a kid I used to feel that way about so many of the classic stories till sure enough a book came out about what happened then- forgot the name of the book but I had it in my collection for years - probably loaned it to some little one and we both forgot. But to the Paradise, I wonder if they will pull and alter the last episode  although I think the entire season was shown already in Britain. The writer or writers who developed Kathrine sure gave us a power house - whew she has them all on a string except not sure if she has complete control of Moray. This story is not like watching a game of checkers it is more like a game of chess.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #606 on: October 06, 2014, 11:02:14 AM »
Thanks, MaryPage, for that info about The Paradise.

Barbara, yes Katherine and Tom Weston seem matched in terms of jealousy and revenge and the desire to dominate.

In the new season of Inspector Lewis, it must have been strange for the actors to play a sort of reversal of their roles, with DI Hathaway in the lead. I'm looking forward to next week to see how the relationship between Hathaway and Lewis evolves.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #607 on: October 06, 2014, 11:22:10 AM »
Marcie, I think the last scene showing Hathaway and Lewis walking off together gives a hint that things will be good between them, but I don't think Laura is too happy with the situation.

MaryPage

« Reply #608 on: October 06, 2014, 04:40:26 PM »
I enjoyed last night's episode of The Paradise and of the new Lewis.  But did you catch the new documentaries PBS is showing called GREAT ESTATES SCOTLAND?  Oh, oh, oh!  I saw the first one last night after Lewis.  Inveraray Castle, home to The Campbells, owned and run by that clan chieftain, the Duke of Argyll.  They are going to do many others (Dumfries, Kincardine, Rosslyn), and I will be glued to my telly when they come on.  Beyond fascinating.

I've also been taking in the brand new series on the Royal Family, and the one titled ROYAL PAINTBOX, narrated by Prince Charles, takes us through the palace treasures we could never see otherwise of artwork from Mary Queen of Scots through George III and Queen Victoria down to Sarah Armstrong-Jones.  Apparently the greatest of them all was Princess Louise, daughter of Queen Victoria and wife of the then owner of Inveraray Castle and head of Clan Campbell.  Yes, she was the Duchess of Argyll, and the sculptress of that famous statue of Queen Victoria in Kensington Gardens.  Wow!  Who knew!

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #609 on: October 06, 2014, 07:07:12 PM »
Jean, yes Laura is not happy with Lewis going back to work part time, especially since he didn't consult with her about it. It just "happened" that his former boss asked him to help with the murder that had just occured so Lewis didn't plan it. It's probably good that he can work part time, in more of a "back seat" capacity to Hathaway's lead, as a way to ease into retirement.

I think that Hathaway has a good partner in DS Lizzie Maddox.

MaryPage, those programs sound wonderful. I'll look for them on my PBS station.

MaryPage

« Reply #610 on: October 13, 2014, 08:19:41 AM »
Again enjoyed The Paradise last night.  Had forgotten completely what an improvised show of talent was like back in the day, but they did a wonderful job of recreating that.  Totally believable.  Well, okay, I don't go back quite THAT far, but you know what I mean!
The Lewis murder mystery was great.
Have been watching Line of Duty, but think I'll quit and just let the next episodes go by.  It is one of the very best acted shows EVER;  honestly, it is.  Top notch.  But oh so depressing.  It is all about corruption in the police department, and I am very much afraid it is typical of what is to be found in many places.  Having been raised to believe the local policeman was my Friend and someone I could completely put my trust in, these cops fill me with the sick of betrayal of the public trust.  I Googled the show and read that it is now in Season Three in the UK.  We have just had the first 3 episodes of Season One.  I read the synopsis of all of the episodes for both Season One and Season Two, and nope, it is not for me.  Pity, because, as I said, the acting is of the very highest quality.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #611 on: October 13, 2014, 10:43:03 AM »
Yes we were brought up to believe lots of people were trustworthy - did not prepare us well for the real world did it...we only think of it as betrayal because we were taught to trust rather than question.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #612 on: October 14, 2014, 12:34:50 PM »
Goodness the discussions are quiet - everyone must be getting in some time in the out-of-doors before the cold makes the challenge so great it takes all our will to muster opening the front door. Yes, you guessed it, Winter in NOT my favorite time of year even here where compared to most there is not much winter.

This concept of Inspector Lewis still active although supposed to be retired is sure pushing the envelope on reality isn't it - not many jobs allow that sort of thing unless you are self-employed. This last show was a good one - crisp and everyone seemed on target without Hathaway doing as much woolgathering as if solving the clues among the stacks in his mind.

MaryPage what I liked about the employees show in Paradise was how it reminded me that we used to entertain ourselves before TV or the challenge of travel in order to take in a movie - the radio was not on all the time so that playing music and reading or gardening or walking and playing games and all sorts of hobbies were a joy to look forward to. We swapped hints, recipes. We do not even see guys bent over the hood of a vehicle any longer. That feeling of pride when we made something or played a new song and the confidence we could fix almost anything and make our own fun was all wrapped up for me in seeing that production on Paradise.

nlhome

« Reply #613 on: October 14, 2014, 07:43:54 PM »
I don't have a problem with Inspector Lewis coming back. It's not unusual for professionals to end up back working in a part-time or contracted situation around here - I'm not sure about England, but here it's a way to get expertise without having to pay benefits and for the semi-retired person to pick and choose. Anyway, I enjoyed the segment this week and look forward to the next one. More thinking and less shooting in these shows than in so many of the detective shows we have here.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #614 on: October 15, 2014, 11:24:00 AM »
I enjoyed the Inspector Lewis also. All of the characters seemed to have a turn as potential suspect. It was fun.

The Paradise was good too. Tom and Katherine are both so manipulative and seemingly insecure.

MaryPage

« Reply #615 on: October 15, 2014, 01:24:37 PM »
I feel so sorry for that little girl, Flora, I could cry.  Her father is such a sick, sick man (imagine doing that to your little child's doll!), and her doting stepmother is dangerously resentful and compulsive.  That scenario puts Flora in grave danger, IMHO.  At least the folks staffing The Paradise are genuinely fond of her.  I think of her as almost a female version of little Arthur, who has been with them since he was a baby.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #616 on: October 15, 2014, 04:34:36 PM »
I enjoyed the Inspector Lewis also.  The professor whose husband murdered---- I thought Hathaway seemed interested in her.  If they are are going to keep the series going, they will probably introduce a female interest for him.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #617 on: October 19, 2014, 11:58:23 AM »
The Masterpiece newsletter says tonight's episodes are going to be exciting:
"Moray hatches a desperate plan in The Paradise, Episode 4, while Lewis finds his reputation at risk after an old case resurfaces in the season finale of Inspector Lewis."

MaryPage

« Reply #618 on: October 19, 2014, 04:33:03 PM »
And after the Paradise episode and the new Lewis murder is solved, our local PBS channel is offering the second in the Scottish Castle series.  Last week's was SO great that I am looking forward to this even more than the fiction!

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #619 on: October 19, 2014, 09:31:25 PM »
Thanks for that reminder, MaryPage!

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #620 on: October 20, 2014, 02:06:12 AM »
The Paradise is leaving me feeling like the bottom is about to drop out on Denise since Moray is not telling her how deceptive is his plan with Kathryn - ouch ouch

The best Lewis so far and Hathaway is really a part of things - its like the writer finally found a voice for Hathaway. there was one brief shot of Lewis silhouetted sitting in a chair that captured him looking like a young Lewis when he was Morse's sidekick. 

jeriron

« Reply #621 on: October 20, 2014, 09:12:58 AM »
Well it didn't look like they were ending Lewis again so maybe it'll be back next year. Unless I missed it they never said if Lewis and the Doc were married.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #622 on: October 20, 2014, 10:18:03 AM »
Yes, they are married - took place either the last round or the round before that...

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #623 on: October 20, 2014, 11:13:33 AM »
I thought this Inspector Lewis episode was one of the best also. I think that the last scenes were a great way to end the series, if this is really the last. Season 7 was supposed to be the end but then they were commissioned for this season 8, after a year off.

In the last scenes Hathaway finally says that Lewis should buy him a pint. Before that Lewis talks about learning something from Morse which parallels Hathaway learning from Lewis (I can't recall the exact words; I"ll have to watch it again).

The Paradise does have an aura of foreboding. I don't like that feeling!

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
Re: PBS Masterpiece 2014 - The Paradise, Inspector Lewis, Death...Pemberley
« Reply #624 on: October 20, 2014, 11:23:31 AM »
Good grief just read in an older article that one of the Inspector Lewis episodes was based on Lewis Carrol's Hunting the Snark - tracking down more I find that all the Inspector Lewis episodes are a parody of what in Britain would be a well known piece of literature. So that Lewis and Hathaway are not about developing the team work of a pair of detectives but are metaphors for the literary piece of the week.

Last night there was a brief mention of Nietzsche for good reason - the whole episode was related to Nietzsche's second book and the title of last night's Episode - Beyond Good And Evil - The book can be downloaded free http://www.gutenberg.org/files/4363/4363-h/4363-h.htm

Essentially in the book Nietzsche lays out his entire philosophy -  Here is a quote that says it better than I could - "Nietzsche accuses past philosophers of lacking critical sense and blindly accepting dogmatic premises in their consideration of morality. Specifically, he accuses them of founding grand metaphysical systems upon the faith that the good man is the opposite of the evil man, rather than just a different expression of the same basic impulses that find more direct expression in the evil man. The work moves into the realm "beyond good and evil" in the sense of leaving behind the traditional morality which Nietzsche subjects to a destructive critique in favour of what he regards as an affirmative approach that fearlessly confronts the perspectival nature of knowledge and the perilous condition of the modern individual."

Now it makes sense that Lewis was blindly accepting what to him was dogma- the premise of guilt - while Graham Lawrie reads everything and listens to classical music as Morse did so the mish mash of our trust when an educated cultured individual does not fit our picture of a murderer. In the episode last night I think Graham Lawrie played his part sinister enough so that Robbie's direct attack seemed appropriate and yet, it was Hathaway who went past blindly accepting the moral judgement of the past to even confront Robbie as not being "good" as in the opposite of "bad" since he missed an important document that would help to release Lawrie from prison.

This realization of what the writers are doing brings a whole new appreciation and understanding of the series - Now I want to go back and see what each episode in these past 6 or 7 series where an allegory to which I think will better explain what I see as awkward, the relationship between Lewis and Hathaway. Last night they finally appeared at the end to get it together as if they were a team. That is a first - there were times in the past when Lewis shows concerned for and appeared almost big brother like to Hathaway but then, during those episodes Hathaway was not equal in rank. It just seemed like a different approach to me when I remember how Morse treated Lewis.

MaryPage

« Reply #625 on: October 22, 2014, 10:14:14 AM »
PBS is showing a series of American made documentaries titled MAKERS, and last night they ran episode number four (4) of the six (6) made for this series.  It is called WOMEN IN WAR, and is history beyond fascinating.  I cannot recommend it to you strongly enough.  Outstanding.  Every woman in this entire country should see it.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #626 on: October 22, 2014, 10:48:18 AM »
Thanks, MaryPage, for that recommendation. Apparently MAKERS is an ongoing series, started in 2004. There are some full episodes and clips and more information at http://video.pbs.org/program/makers-women-who-make-america/

MaryPage

« Reply #627 on: October 27, 2014, 09:39:09 AM »
I enjoyed The Paradise last night.

Of course, being one of those insane Jane Austen fanatics, I remained glued to Death Comes to Pemberley, despite having hated the book by P.D. James.  I found I had just about completely forgotten the book, but as the film last night unfolded, I began to quibble over little details like:  "didn't they have TWO little boys in the book?"   Anyway, I enjoyed it in the same sense that I always enjoy watching different stories I have read being acted out with varying sensibilities of how it all should look and sound.  The very variety entertains and thrills me immensely.  That being said, I cannot say James's book on screen comes off any more convincingly than does the book.  Bah humbug!  Bring back Jane, pulleeze!

Frybabe

« Reply #628 on: October 27, 2014, 10:41:27 AM »
Last night was the second night in a row I fell asleep on my recliner before a program I wanted to see came on. Of course I woke up just after it was over. Sigh! I'll have to try and catch Pemberly later in the week on the rerun.

MaryPage

« Reply #629 on: October 27, 2014, 12:50:20 PM »
One of our local PBS channels is running it this very afternoon, so be sure to check your own program schedules!

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #630 on: October 27, 2014, 02:27:27 PM »
With the change of actor playing Darcy I kept getting confused because he did act in one of the Jane Austen stories - I think the one where he was older and called on whoever was the female about her gossiping - he was not nearly as dreamy looking a Darcy as Colin so that the small exchanges between him and his now wife did not make me feel any sense of a gentle loving passionate intimacy between them - even when Matthew Macfadyen played the part of Darcy you felt the earth shift a bit.

Paradise had my tummy going loopdy lou with both guys trying to get at each other by dangling their wives - and the watch - sheesh - I was waiting for it to be lost or snatched but this chess game they are all playing is not joyful to watch - too much like our current reality reminding us of politics rather than offering us a fantasy to escape all of that. And yet somehow I want to see a happily ever after but from the coming attractions it could be we will see Denise with the success bug taking over beyond any affection for Moray.

Both shows were fabulous period pieces but I was not enthralled with the story and the actor playing Darcy as I have been with other period pieces - I am glad we have another season of Downton to look forward to - and not a period piece but most satisfying that one something from Halifax - I think there is another season of that although Alan's dance at the end of the last season could have been an ending that beat all endings.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #631 on: October 27, 2014, 04:45:31 PM »
My station showed half of :Death Comes to Pemberley" last night. IMO both Elizabeth and Darcy were miscast. Or perhaps it's the director. She is playing as if she is the same person she played in "The Bletchley Circle" (which doesn't work for Elizabeth Darcy) and he is overdoing Darcy's brusqueness to the point of sounding like a complete jerk. Makes you realize how good the actors in the Pride and Prejudice movie were.

But of course, I'm such an Austen nut, I'm very critical.

MaryPage

« Reply #632 on: October 28, 2014, 11:24:52 PM »
I watched the third in the PBS series GREAT ESTATES SCOTLAND tonight.  That is to say, the 3rd which I have seen, the first two being Inveraray and Kincardine.  I had to miss Dumfries, as I was away from home that night, but I hope to catch it in repeats.  Anyway, tonight they did ROSSLYN CHAPEL, on the estate of Rosslyn Castle.  Dan Brown made this chapel famous in his book "The De Vinci Code."  Before that book was published, this gorgeous 15th century chapel had about 3,000 visitors a YEAR, and now they have been able to completely restore it with the money from 30,000 sightseers per MONTH!  People come from all over the world.  If any place on earth can rival the Taj Mahal for pure beauty constructed by our species, this is IT.  Hope you were able to catch it, too; or will soon.[/color]

Frybabe

« Reply #633 on: October 29, 2014, 05:55:16 AM »
Oh, nuts. I forgot that was on last night, MaryPage. Darn, I wanted to see that.

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #634 on: October 29, 2014, 03:20:38 PM »
I have not watched very much TV on PBS but I have them on the dvr. I watch most of my TV taped as I can't stand then DAMM commercials.
I loved Mr Selfridge I need To watch it again. My TV dvr's 4 channels at once and you can watch a 5th. Of course I could never miss  downton Abbey, so good.

CallieOK

« Reply #635 on: October 29, 2014, 03:50:12 PM »
Oh, MaryPage, I hope you get to see the program on Dumfries.  I was very impressed with what Prince Charles has done/is doing to help that area.
I have recorded Rosslyn Chapel.  My tv guide says it is the "Series Finale".

So often,  I forget to watch one of the PBS programs.  I've learned that, when I scan through the on-screen tv guide, I can often find a rebroadcast in "the wee hours" of the same night and can set the dvr recording.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #636 on: October 29, 2014, 05:27:25 PM »
I did not like Death Comes to Pemberley at all.  Darcy and Elizabeth were really miscast.  I was disappointed and gave up on it after the first 15 minutes.  Pride and Prejudice is on Netflix in 5 or 6 episodes and it is quite good.  Different actors would have made a world of difference IMO.

MaryPage

« Reply #637 on: October 29, 2014, 08:31:32 PM »
I felt I could not yet judge whether Darcy was a good Darcy, or not.  He may well turn out to be.  He certainly showed himself to be the one in charge when it came to leading a group to find the missing men and in getting them back to Pemberley and in informing the local Law.  Nope, it is, as yet, too early for me to pass judgment on this Darcy.

But I was left wondering during MOST of the episode where on earth was our feisty, energetic Elizabeth.  She did come through once, when Darcy had addressed the servants and neglected to thank and reassure them.  Elizabeth took the reins and did so, and quite beautifully, I thought.  She said what needed saying, and in the spirited manner of our beloved heroine of Pride & Prejudice.

MaryPage

« Reply #638 on: October 31, 2014, 09:52:54 PM »
I am so excited tonight because, in just a few minutes now, I am going to be able to catch the Scottish Castle episode I missed when it first ran: DUMFRIES.  And I will have seen this entire wonderful series.
Last night I caught another episode of Scott & Bailey, and marveled all over again at the outstanding acting performances.
Sigh!  I would be totally lost without PBS.
[/color]

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #639 on: November 01, 2014, 12:07:09 PM »
Mary Page, I envy you.  Our PBS does not carry all those interesting programs that the Maryland PBS carries, but they sure have a lot of programs for "raising money".  We do get the Masterpiece Theater.