Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece 2014 Cont. - Downton Abbey & Other PBS programs  (Read 108793 times)

marcie

• Administrator
Re: PBS Masterpiece 2014 - Downton Abbey; Sherlock
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2014, 08:26:14 PM »

Watch Season 4 of Downton Abbey during January  2014.

Sherlock, Season 3, has returned, starting January 19, following the 9pm broadcast of Downton Abbey. Benedict Cumberbatch (The Fifth Estate, Star Trek Into Darkness) and Martin Freeman (The Hobbit, The Office UK) will return as Sherlock Holmes and John Watson in three new 90-minute episodes of the contemporary reinvention of the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle classic, created by Steven Moffat (Doctor Who) and Mark Gatiss. Watch episodes on TV or online after they air.

See the 2014 MASTERPIECE schedule.  

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP and marcie

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2014, 08:26:25 PM »
Barb, the scenes with Matthew's mother must have brought your memories to the fore. I appreciate your sharing those thoughts. I agree, Rosemary, that Penelope Wilton is an exellent actress and makes her part so believable. I really like the interaction between her and Maggie Smith this season, as well as between her character and the doctor.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2014, 02:16:04 PM »
Now that her son Mathew is gone ,maybe a romance will bloom for her and the doctor. How she can keep up that life without her son paying the bills hard to do.
That house now belongs back into the estate. I am sure she won't expect Mary to cover her.
Think I am ahead of the writers on this.

MaryPage

« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2014, 02:31:54 PM »
I would think the opposite:  that Mary would feel obliged to look after her mother in law and the grandmother of her child for her lifetime.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2014, 04:14:54 PM »
I think most of these people would have had private incomes of their own. I doubt if Matthew was paying for everything.

Flavia

• tamen, perseveravit
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2014, 12:50:40 PM »
I think Julian Fellowes has lost his way. I found the last episode so wrong in so many ways. I hope I am wrong.

salan

« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2014, 05:26:48 AM »
I am watching and enjoying this season's Downton Abbey.  Such good acting and a good story line, too.
Sally

Frybabe

« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2014, 08:20:18 AM »
Welcome, Xine48

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2014, 08:22:53 PM »
Yes, welcome to the discussion, Xine48. What happened to Anna did seem very different from past episodes.

Hi, Salan. :-)

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2014, 09:36:13 AM »
she acted it out so well - really struck chords - so glad he is showing what had been hinted at in so many of these stories about help in these great houses and even in smaller houses - it has in the past in story after story been blown over although noted and shown from the perpetrators side.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2014, 07:37:14 PM »
Going to be interesting to see how this with Anna is going to be played out.  Bet, like her husbands murder trial it will run the whole season.

I just seems that when Mathew moved his mother came with him because of her circumstances regarding funds. Her husband had not left much.
Sure that Mary would provide a allowance but not to live in that big a house with butler, cook. maid etc.  Her Grandmother live well but she was the one who was well provided for in Husbands will.   They should both become  roomys and live in one house.  Bet that would be fun...Writer could have a blast.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2014, 01:23:23 AM »
Interesting thoughts about the financial condition of Matthew's mother. It hadn't occured to me.

CallieOK

« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2014, 11:01:10 AM »
I just now found this Discussion but am "up to date" watching Season 4 of "Downtown Abbey".
I agree with everything that's been said, especially about Cora's "wistful" look. 

There are some other actresses who must be known for the same "talent?" and it seems there are frequent close-ups of them written into the script.  That's similar to close-ups of Julia Roberts' big grin in everything she's in!

Several new plot twists for the new season.  Good old soap opera formula, isn't it?   :)

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2014, 06:15:38 PM »
I was planning on watching Sherlock Holmes tonight. Beginning of a new season. But I was just seeing the end of the last season showing Watson at Holmes grave. What is going on. I have never watched it before.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2014, 09:49:07 PM »
Callie, yes, Julia Roberts certainly has a signature grin. Good comparison with the signature looks of some of the Downton Abbey women.

Jeanne, since the end of last season many people have been trying to figure out how Sherlock accomplished the feat of looking like he killed himself jumping off the building while we all know that he can't actually have done so if we're going to have a season 3!

The episode tonight should be very interesting!!

MaryPage

« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2014, 07:08:15 AM »
Well, hurrah for Mrs. Hughes for taking charge and fixing things for Tom.  I want things to go well for Tom, and I don't want him to be so STUPID!  Scheesch!

This Downton is becoming too much of a melodrama.  I want ordinary.

I must say that Michelle Dockery is certainly growing into her part and giving us some magnificent acting.  And I am so gratified that Violet now approves of Isobel.

But back full circle, Hurrah for Mrs. Hughes!  Hip! Hip!

Frybabe

« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2014, 07:38:58 AM »
I watched Sherlock last night. Is it my imagination, or did it seem a little more "muted" than the other seasons. Sherlock seems to have softened in his attitude toward others. The whole thing seemed a slightly awkward, but then I guess everyone would feel a bit off when they have to readjust to the discovery that someone they valued was not dead after all. I thought some of the bits where they jumped to possible "how he did it scenarios" and especially at the end where he was apparently having, what, flashbacks?, also confused at first. Now that I have watched the commentary from the actors and producers on how they put the show together and their rationale for doing one thing or another I will have to watch the rerun next Saturday.

I am losing interest in Downton Abbey, so did not watch it last night. I don't care to follow the storylines for Edith and Anna any further.

Dana

• ::
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2014, 09:37:54 AM »
I thought the black singer was interesting.  There was  very popular black nightclub singer of the 30s and 40s in London ..."Hutch"....who was a favourite of the upper classes especially the Prince of Wales ( he of Mrs Simpson fame) and was rumoured to have had an affair with Princess Margaret.  He was AC/DC so had affairs with people like Cole Porter, too.  I happen to have some of his music---Begin the Beguin was one of his best. I have a feeling we are going to see more of the singer in Downton if I am right and he is based on Hutch. (Leslie Hutchinson)

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2014, 11:25:17 AM »
MaryPage, I was thinking the same thing. Hurrah for Mrs. Hughes. She really came through in this episode. She helped both Tom and Mr. Carson. I'm really glad that the intrigue with Tom isn't going any further. But in the previews it looks like Thomas has brought in another ally...

I am glad too about the evolving relationship between Isobel and Violet.

Poor Anna, does she really think that her husband would actually KILL that terrible valet? Maybe  it's because she feels like killing him herself.

Dana, thanks for that information about Leslie Hutchinson. It does look like the singer will be a recurring role this season.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2014, 11:26:51 AM »
Frybabe, gosh the Sherlock Holmes was confusing last evening, with all of the scenarios about how he might have pulled off the fake death. The other stuff was confusing too. I'll have to watch it again. I did like the humor in it.

Dana

• ::
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2014, 12:09:40 PM »
Mrs Hughes is turning into the Downton therapist.  Tom, the butler, the maid....all get their 45 minutes!

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2014, 12:25:00 PM »
It is difficult to watch Anna go on but they are so on target - and yes I can see how Anna would have exaggerated concepts of what could happen - the unimaginable happen to her so anything is possible. Even today in our enlightened world it is still difficult for most women to have it known what happened - TV shows have made it appear as more understanding - but compared to the numbers even those brave enough to go to rape or incest survivor meetings are slim in number.

Mrs.Hughes is like the in-house therapist which when you think of it there was usually someone in every family that became the healer and secret keeper before we had therapists.

I do think it is Violet who is softening - she even looks softer - during the era before the war I cannot see her being so concerned for the welfare of anyone much less Isobel. Mr. Carson seems to be just the opposite - he appears stodgier as he is aging as does Lord Grantham.

And yes, I am with all of you on Tom - so glad that did not go any further.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2014, 12:28:30 PM »
Sherlock was interesting although confusing to me with several scenarios of what happened shown - could not see the rational for that - but i loved the part played by Dr. Watson and hated to see him made a fool at the end - his anger was so right on - and now a women he loves - I really like the part they have carved out for him where as Sherlock seems less noble, glib and less manly regardless his ability to take physical punishment which I still do not understand why that was a part of the story.

Frybabe

« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2014, 12:46:53 PM »
There is someting else that bothers me a little with this new Sherlock. Well, two things really. One is that I recall seeing advance clips (I think) of Sherlock in a monastery and the person (forget his name) who insisted he was not dead showing the DCI a map and ticking off Holmes type detections across Europe and heading for London. I didn't see any of that referenced in the show itself except that a fan group was positive he lived. The other is that this year, in addition to your comments Barb, I thought Sherlock seemed less sure of himself. Perhaps what they intend on showing is that while Sherlock was out there in the ether for two years, he discovered that he is not infallible and not a world unto himself, and who discovered he really does need others on an emotional level that he couldn't or wouldn't admit to previously.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2014, 08:21:13 PM »
I tried watching Sherlock for the first Time. Couldn't make it to the end and so will not try it again.  Give me the stories and the Sherlock of the past. These I don't understand him.  Did like Watson and the girlfriend of his who is both show and real life. Good match.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2014, 10:20:24 PM »
Dana, you're right. Mrs. Hughes is the in-house therapist and also giver of good advice.

I agree with everyone that Watson's new fiance (did he really get a chance to ask her to marry him after Sherlock interupted?) is wonderful. I like the way they have portrayed her as liking Sherlock and encouraging the "boys" to work together. She also seems to have helped on the case.

Frybabe

« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2014, 09:00:38 AM »
JeaneP, I don't think this season opener was a good place to start watching the "Sherlock" series. It was definitely a bit confusing, even to those of us who watched the last two seasons. The show afterward, where the actors and producers talked about putting the season opener together, did help a little. Nevertheless, I am going to have to watch it again to get some of the action straight.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2014, 11:27:01 PM »
I agree, Frybabe. This first episode was definitely filmed/edited different than the last seasons.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2014, 06:51:31 PM »
The real "Mary Poppins"Author will be profiled on our PBS station tonight  Friday at 8PM.Illinois time. Hope they show her. see if she looks like the actor who played her in Mr. Banks

CallieOK

« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2014, 08:42:52 PM »
I saw "Saving Mr. Banks" this afternoon and am really looking forward to the PBS program.

CallieOK

« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2014, 10:23:04 PM »
Instead of "The Real Mary Poppins" on my PBS station, another program began and a banner went across the screen reading,
"Tonight's showing of "The Real Mary Poppins" has been withdrawn by PBS.  We apologize for the inconvenience".

Did this happen to anyone else?   

The Mary Poppins program was written up in our monthly PBS station's magazine and listed in the weekly tv schedule.  I've never heard of anything like this.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2014, 01:41:10 AM »
Callie, I did a search and found one PBS site that had a notice saying that it was a legal "rights" issue that caused the station to cancel THE REAL MARY POPPINS program. I guess they didn't have all the permissions they needed.

CallieOK

« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2014, 10:13:22 AM »
Marcie, I should have searched before I posted because I also found that - from Seattle, I think.  Must have been a last-minute thing that didn't get settled as expected.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2014, 06:29:30 PM »
Too bad. I'm sure there are some upset people in the programming department!

MaryPage

« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2014, 08:37:27 AM »
I bought the DVD set of Season 6 of Doc Martin with some of my Christmas presents of Barnes and Noble gift certificates, and I have just recently been viewing it and having a ball.  It is true what has been said, this is the very best season yet.  A total hoot and such good fun for me enjoying from my easy chair.

Frybabe

« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2014, 06:42:31 AM »
I watched the latest Sherlock last night. Bizarre! It looks like they are going to stick with their makeover of Holmes as a more humble, bewildered, and maybe not quite a world unto himself as before, more emotional. I really expected to see the story solving the bank robberies shown at the beginning of the show. Nope, completely ignored through the rest of the show.

The other night I watched the rerun of the season opener. It did little to solve my confusion and puzzlement regarding the scenes.

Frybabe

« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2014, 07:10:22 AM »
Forgot to mention that I think Martin Freeman is doing an outstanding job.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2014, 11:13:07 AM »
Frybabe, yes, the second season of Sherlock has a completely different tone. Sherlock doesn't seem to be quite his old self. I'm still deciding whether I like the dynamic trio. I agree that Martin Freeman stood out for me this episode although it mostly featured Sherlock.

MaryPage, I really like Doc Martin too. I had borrowed Season 6 from the library and really enjoyed it.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2014, 11:14:26 AM »
Looks like Anna was right about Mr. Bates. I can't believe that he will actually kill the guy who raped her.

CallieOK

« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2014, 11:23:26 AM »
Marcie,  I think he will try!   

Although the announcement of Mr. Gillingham's marriage has been announced, I suspect he and his valet will appear at Downton again.   Maybe while the estate inspectors are there - since one of them was apparently interested in Mary at one time.

Is Matthew really going to take Sibby to America?

My PBS station indicates that this was Episode 6 of 8.  If so,  I can see several cliff-hangers developing for the final episode.

The plot thickens!