Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece 2014 Cont. - Downton Abbey & Other PBS programs  (Read 108785 times)

Frybabe

Re: PBS Masterpiece 2014 - Downton Abbey; Sherlock
« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2014, 11:49:41 AM »

Watch Season 4 of Downton Abbey during January  2014.

Sherlock, Season 3, has returned, starting January 19, following the 9pm broadcast of Downton Abbey. Benedict Cumberbatch (The Fifth Estate, Star Trek Into Darkness) and Martin Freeman (The Hobbit, The Office UK) will return as Sherlock Holmes and John Watson in three new 90-minute episodes of the contemporary reinvention of the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle classic, created by Steven Moffat (Doctor Who) and Mark Gatiss. Watch episodes on TV or online after they air.

See the 2014 MASTERPIECE schedule

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP and marcie

I don't remember reading any of the later Sherlock Holmes adventures, but they indicated that Dr. Watson did indeed marry in the resurrected Holmes stories that Doyle wrote. Will have to read them.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2014, 12:46:11 PM »
I thought Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law did an excellent post Reichenbach Falls episode in their last outing (a  movie in the theater, not on PVS),  as  Sherlock Holmes, also featuring the incredible Jared Harris as Moriarty. And the woman who plays Mrs. Watson also did a super job.

Unfortunately this  Sherlock, the second of two,  is hard to watch due to a couple of scenes,  which on DVD you can fast forward thru quickly, but they did an incredible  job, and I resisted them for a long time due to preferring Basil Rathbone's take on it.

Unfortunately also both  Downey and Law are very  hot as actors  so they may not be available for the third installment. Shame, they are very good. To me the second film is better than the first.

I haven't seen the Cumberbach one, I need to try tho he looks too young to me to be the great detective.

MaryPage

« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2014, 08:18:40 PM »
Ah, but Ginny!  He is so darn GOOD!

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: January 28, 2014, 11:29:02 AM »
Ginny, I really enjoy the Robert Downey, Jr./Jude Law duo too. I love the humor between them. I see that Jude Law thinks that they will do a Sherlock 3. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2487328/Jude-Law-confirms-plans-join-forces-Robert-Downey-Jr-Sherlock-Holmes-3.html

If you watch the Cumberbatch version, I suggest you start with last year's.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: January 28, 2014, 11:46:32 AM »
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!! Thank you for that gladsome news, I'm amazed what with Robert Downey in the...what is it Ironman series? OH good!  I may try to see an old Cumberbach, if he's that good.

I even like the supporting cast in the Downey-Law series, Mrs. Watson whom I did not like at first turned out to be good, and of course Steven Fry (if I've spelled his name correctly) as Mycroft and Jared Harris, who I thought almost stole the show. That was a good cast. I hate they killed off Irene Adler tho.

You're right, the humor is so fun in the film which is somewhat dark  and I did have to scroll past the Harris- Downey torture scene.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: January 28, 2014, 05:57:36 PM »
Ginny, yes, I think that Jared Harris made a perfect Moriarity. I agree about the awful torture scene. I find that I've blocked it out and don't remember the details.

I really like Stephen Fry too. I think my first introduction to him was with Hugh Laurie in "Jeeves and Wooster." So funny!

In the Cumberbatch PBS series and the TV series, "Elementary," with Jonny Lee Miller, the character of Mycroft appears to behave badly to Sherlock at times, maybe with a secret agenda. I don't recall if there is any of that in the books.

MaryPage

« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2014, 04:18:59 PM »
My Downton Abbey Season Four DVDs arrived from Barnes and Noble today.  I had pre-ordered them with my Christmas gift certificates.  Have quite a few DVDs in my stack to be watched already, so who knows when I will get to them.  A comfort to know they are there, though!

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: January 29, 2014, 05:38:51 PM »
MaryPage, I'm with you. I like to own DVDs and it is a comfort to know that they are there!

rosemarykaye

« Reply #88 on: January 29, 2014, 05:59:28 PM »
We borrow quite a few from LoveFilm and some from the library, but I agree, I like to know that the ones I really love are there on the shelf - Brideshead, The Jewel in the Crown, Some Like It Hot, Love Actually, Mona Lisa Smile....they are some of my enduring favourites.

Rosemary

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #89 on: January 29, 2014, 10:55:25 PM »
Rosemary, I too really loved to watch Brideshead and Some Like it Hot always makes me laugh.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #90 on: January 30, 2014, 03:19:47 AM »
It's good to have films, and books, that you can return to and still find something new in - I feel like that about the best of Barbara Pym's novels, and also about Brideshead.  The scene where they fling open the shutters onto the Grand Canal in Venice still fills my heart with joy (and a tiny bit of envy..... :-)   )

MaryPage

« Reply #91 on: January 30, 2014, 11:42:51 AM »
One of my big thrills owning Season 6 of Doc Martin (the only season I have purchased) is all of the extras added to the DVD.  I would never have known, otherwise, that the wife, in real life, of the actor playing Doc Martin (Martin Clunes) is the PRODUCER of this entire series!  Her name is Philippa Braithwaite.
They go to Port Isaac once a year and stay for 4 months and film with tons of gawkers watching.  They adore the village and feel like villagers now.

jeriron

« Reply #92 on: January 31, 2014, 09:43:38 AM »
Yesterday was a day that I spent just watching movies. (I love those kind of days  :D). Anyway I found a movie on HBO Demand called "Capturing Mary".(2009) with Maggie Smith. I had never heard of it, has anyone here seen it? I enjoyed it. It was a followup to a movie called Joe's Palace. The only connection was that it takes place in the same house but in different years and both have the same character Joe.  I liked both of them except by the time I watched "Joe's Palace" I was getting bleary eyed so I think I will watch that one again.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #93 on: January 31, 2014, 12:24:28 PM »
Never seen either Jeriron - would you recommend them?  What are they about?

jeriron

« Reply #94 on: January 31, 2014, 01:46:52 PM »
Capturing Mary starts off withe the character from aJoe'Palace explaining why he is in charge of this big house that Jo one lives in. Maggie Smith comes to the door ane he lets her in and she goes on to explain to him who she is that she came to parties there when she was young. She tells him of her relationship with one of the guests etc etc.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #95 on: February 02, 2014, 03:44:24 PM »
Couldn't find capturing Mary or Joe's place. Will look further.

Also a shocker today. Philip Hoffman found dead today of a drug overdose.  Only in his 40's. He was on top of the world I thought with all the good movies he has been in past few years.  I will never understand the Drug world...

Steph

« Reply #96 on: February 03, 2014, 09:16:25 AM »
Since I spent the summer catching up on Downton Abbey, I now try to watch the rerun each week..our PBS shows the previous week first and then the current. I don't always catch the current, but can generally get the rerun. Mrs. Hughes spilled the beans and Anna seems to be correct.. Mr.Bates has murder on the brain..What a shame.. and what happened to the ladies maid of Coras that was dead set on Tom. I missed a week... somewhere, so there is a different ladies maid for Cora..Again an ally of Thomas.. who should have been gone years ago in a well run house.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #97 on: February 03, 2014, 10:55:10 AM »
Steph, the ladies maid was found out by Mrs. Hughes to be pretending to be pregnant in order to trap Tom into marriage. She was let go. Thomas recommended the new ladies maid and, therefore, seems to have a hold on her to "report" to him any news/secrets she overhears upstairs.

Frybabe

« Reply #98 on: February 03, 2014, 11:17:17 AM »
I almost gave up on Sherlock last night at the beginning. I am glad I continued as my puzzlement and dismay were alleviated. What an interesting (astonishing?) ending. I really must read the stories after Conan Doyle brought him back. I do not remember ever reading any where Dr. Watson had married.

Moriarty will be back in the next season. Yeay! I was just thinking I missed his character this season, and there he is on the after show behind the scenes bit. His words at the end of the behind the scenes show were, "Miss Me". It wasn't exactly a question the way he said it.

Steph

« Reply #99 on: February 04, 2014, 08:56:37 AM »
Hmm, in the original Sherlock, I think Dr. Watson was married at least once and possibly twice.. Thanks for catching me up on the Cora maid situation. Cora needs to look more closely at her maids.She does not seem able to, but is so determined in so many other ways..l

ursamajor

« Reply #100 on: February 04, 2014, 09:31:21 AM »
Would someone tell me how to get to the online showing of the new Downton Abbey?  We go to bed too early to watch the broadcast version.

Thanks.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #101 on: February 04, 2014, 11:15:37 AM »
You can go to PBS.org and watch it on your computer.  (I have the PBS app on my iPad and watch it on my TV using airplay and the Apple TV box).

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #102 on: February 04, 2014, 02:51:05 PM »

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #103 on: February 04, 2014, 02:56:15 PM »
There is a Sherlockian researcher who spent a year trying to put Arthur Conan Doyle's stories in chronological order. He says that Watson was married SIX times!!!  http://www.sherlockpeoria.net/Who_is_Sherlock/WatsonsWives.html

MaryPage

« Reply #104 on: February 04, 2014, 05:12:52 PM »
Downton Abbey comes on at nine o'clock every Sunday night where I live.  They always, without fail, lead into the new episode with the hour long episode from the previous week.  In other words, my PBS station, and a lot of others, rerun the previous week's Downton Abbey episode at eight o'clock every Sunday night.

salan

« Reply #105 on: February 04, 2014, 05:52:07 PM »
I watched the first episode of season 6 Doc Martin.  Soooo good!  I love the cast of characters.
Sally

Steph

« Reply #106 on: February 05, 2014, 08:56:07 AM »
Yes, I watch mostly the 8pm , since that one is easier for me to watch and not decide to doze off.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #107 on: February 05, 2014, 11:11:51 AM »
I enjoyed the Sherlock Holmes episode. They have great villains. Sherlock hates Charles Augustus Milverton.

And, Frybabe, you're right that Moriarity will be back next season. We learned of several ways that Sherlock could have faked his own death but what about Moriarity??

What do you think of the revelations about Mary?!!!!!!

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #108 on: February 05, 2014, 06:46:56 PM »
Sherlock Holmes is never going to do it for me. I tried watching it again. Just can't.  Really like little Watson though.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #109 on: February 06, 2014, 02:05:32 AM »
Andrew Scott is such a brilliant actor.  We've also recently seen him in a three-part drama called The Town.  It's very different from Sherlock, and rather bleak, but as ever he was excellent.  Martin Clunes is also in it.

Rosemary

Steph

« Reply #110 on: February 06, 2014, 08:46:40 AM »
I tend to have a mental picture of my Sherlock and rarely watch movies, tv portraying him. Ruins the inner pictures. Basil Rathbone all those years ago was who I thought portrayed him best.

MaryPage

« Reply #111 on: February 07, 2014, 08:15:12 PM »
Basil Rathbone WAS Sherlock Holmes.  And ever will be, world without end.

Steph

« Reply #112 on: February 08, 2014, 08:14:21 AM »
I suspect we are showing our age, but as far as I recall, Sherlock was never portrayed in the books as young.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #113 on: February 08, 2014, 12:33:09 PM »
I've watched it without comparing it as if it was a totally new series that has nothing to do with the Canon Doyle books and I see it as an avant garde show that reminds me of when we first read Atonement by Ian McEwan - it was all mirrors and reflections and what appeared like disconnected bits - so that the presentation seems to be more important in this new Sherlock series than the actual story. The story line has reflections here and there of the Canon Doyle stories.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Frybabe

« Reply #114 on: February 08, 2014, 03:28:00 PM »
Too bad the link isn't working for me to the PBS interviews. I remember hearing the producers say they had no intention of staying true to the stories. I forget how they put it, but they didn't want to be just another remake. In its own way, the same could be said for Jonny Lee Miller's Sherlock Holmes. In that one we have a female Watson and a Sherlock who goes to NarcAnon or whatever they call the drug version of AA.

Steph

« Reply #115 on: February 09, 2014, 09:44:25 AM »
I guess I am a traditionalist.. Have a detective story, but don't change Sherlock.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #116 on: February 09, 2014, 02:33:35 PM »
I haven't enjoyed this Sherlock and finally gave up that show.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #117 on: February 09, 2014, 02:41:49 PM »
I watched "Sherlock" last week and exclaimed to our grandson, age 18, that it was like watching a Dr Who episode.  Well, you know he immediately pointed out that the Sherlock writers also wrote Dr Who.  Well, since I am a dyed in the wool Dr Who fan, I am now must be a "Sherlock" fan. I do like "Elementery" quite a bit, too.  So, if one is on when another is on, I just DVR one.  Also, we have Prime Time On Demand which has repeats of all three available for a few weeks.  

OH, and I must say that so far my favorite Dr Who actors have been Tom Baker (who is my age now, so you can figure that I have been a Dr Who fan for loooooooong time!) and the present one, Matt Smith.I have always enjoyed the humor in all of them.  Far out, that's what I like!
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

MaryPage

« Reply #118 on: February 09, 2014, 03:37:26 PM »
My favorite by far has been David Tennant.  But then, I am quite enamoured of him.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #119 on: February 09, 2014, 08:21:36 PM »
A new show starting tonight after "Dalton Abbey". Must have taken S. Holmes to another time. I never could get interested in that.