Author Topic: Blue Highways by William Least Heat-Moon ~ March Book Club Online  (Read 98921 times)

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome.
March Book Club Online ~ Starting  March 3
Blue Highways - a Journey into America
by William Least Heat-Moon

This should be FUN!  Whether you decide to read and discuss William Least Heat-Moon's classic 1978 travel account  or share your own memories of the "blue highways" of America, you will probably leave winter doldrums behind -  in your driveway. Heat-Moon coined the term to refer to small, forgotten, out-of-the-way roads connecting rural America (which were drawn in blue on the old style Rand McNally road atlas).

The book chronicles the author's 13,000-mile journey and the people he meets along the way, as he steers clear of cities and interstates, avoiding fast food and exploring local American culture. His book was on the NY Times’ best seller list for 42 weeks in 1982-83, and its title became a cultural code word for a journey of introspection and discovery.

Some questions we'll explore:  
   *  Is most of your driving travel on the Interstates today?
   *  Are the backroads still drawn in blue on maps?
   *  When was the last time you drove on one?
   *  What's left of the country stores and cafes on the old blue highways?
   *  Do you have photographs?

Some Topics for Discussion
March 3-7 Part One Eastward

Let's bring in our own experiences and observations whenever possible.

1.  How much time did it take Bill Trogdon to get on the road from the time he lost his teaching job in Missouri? How well prepared was he?  What did his packing list reveal about the kind of trip he was planning?

2.  Have you ever taken an extended road trip? Will you tell us about it?  How much preparation went into it?  How did your trip differ from the author's? Were you trying to avoid the Interstates?

3.  Least Heat-Moon, Eddie Short Leaf...Osage Indian names. What do you know of the Osage Indians living in Missouri.  Least Heat-Moon says he's making the trip to find his roots.  Do you think need a purpose if you plan to be on the road for a long time?

4.  Is it at all clear why Heat-Moon chose this particular route? (See the   interactive map of his trip.   Why did he head East from Missouri?  Why the circular route, avoiding the mid-section of the country?  If you were to start out today, what direction, what route would you take?

5.  Part One chronicles the Eastern route he followed the first week of his trip.  This MAP  might be easier to follow - since he backtracked, went out of his way by 45 miles, to find a place called Nameless, TN.  What does this tell about his planned route?

6. Let's keep a list of  Least Heat-Moon's  philosophical observations, which make this so much more than a travel journal. (Just post your favorites and we'll add them to a list.)

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Re: Blue Highways by William Least Heat-Moon March Book Club Online
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 12:51:59 PM »
Isn't this a perfect time for an imaginary (or real) road trip, with William Least Heat-Moon...as he heads his old truck east from Colombia, Mo, looking for spring.  His wife had recently left him, and he has just been let go from his position as a professor of English at the University of Missouri.  Was he going TO somewhere, or running FROM somewhere when he began his trip?

"I can't say, over the miles, that I had learned what I had wanted to know because I hadn't known what I wanted to know. But I did learn what I didn't know I wanted to know...."

Most libraries have a few copies of this book; you should find it available.  Even if you are not interested in the book at this time, we look forward to your comments on the Osage Least Heat-Moon's travel journal, which may trigger your own memories of road trips in the past.  We can use the book as a jumping-off point for such a travel discussion.  Please do plan to join in!

Frybabe

Re: Blue Highways by William Least Heat-Moon ~ March Book Club Online
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 07:02:03 PM »
What a bummer. He completely missed Pennsylvania. In fact, he avoided most of the interior states.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 07:23:16 PM »
Fry, it sounds as if you've looked over the route map-
   Least Heat Moon's route map (interactive)

He made the quick decision to leave home when he lost his teaching position...home was in Columbia, Mo.  I'm looking forward to learning how much planning went into that trip.  I don't get the idea he knew where he was going when he set out.

I wouldn't feel too badly about PA.  Most of the stops he didn't visit for more than a day, if that.  Some he didn't even get out of the car.  Had you heard of Least Heat-Moon when the book first came out? An unforgettable name, no?

salan

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 06:41:58 AM »
I have the book and am ready to do some armchair travelling.
Sally

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 09:10:18 AM »
Great...looking forward to this, Sally, Fry Better than being out on the road this time of year.  Can't believe the kids are going in two hours late here this morning...not even an inch of snow fell last night.  Maybe it's slippery.

A question - does anyone have an old Rand McNally map with "blue" highways?  I wonder when they stopped printing them blue...

nlhome

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 10:04:55 PM »
I hope to participate. I read the book when it first came out. I have a copy from the library and will try to read parts of it again.

waafer

• waafer
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 11:35:56 PM »
What an unusual name this author has.!!  I have travelled a few Blue Highways 2001 and two later visits and enjoyed this book.  Not being an American I found my large map of USA that hangs on my wall very helpful.  Many interesting anecdotes he tells us of and there was a map of the route he travelled at the end of my edition on kindle and of course there is a huge amount of country not traversed by him.  Icould find some of the Highways marked in blue on maps.  Felt I had had to 'plough' my way to the end of Wives and Daughters so enjoyed this totally different story.

Will  look forward to reading the discussions from March 1st.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 01:26:59 PM »
nlhome - happy to hear that you plan to join us. It will be interesting to hear your reaction to the book after having read it when it first came out.

And waafer, welcome! We'll look forward the hearing of your US road trips.  Have you noticed the link to the interactive map of Least Heat-Moon's trip?

The author's name is quite interesting...he went by William Trogdon while teaching, right before the trip -   "Along the journey, Trogdon re-examined his Osage roots and changed his name to that Indian name given by him at birth—William Least Heat Moon—not in rejection of his Anglo heritage, but rather as a celebration of both ancestries."

A friend of his, a Chippewa, wrote after reading the book,  "Bill Trogdon, (his Anglo name); (his background is Anglo and Osage) —left on the trip, and Least Heat Moon came back."

How are you doing with Wives and Daughters, waafer?  Still at the plow? :D
It certainly is a long book.  Glad you are sticking with it.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 07:36:10 AM »
I'd like to join this group also. I am in the mood for some vicarious armchair traveling, have been cooped up by the weather too long.  It looks wonderful. Never heard of half the places. I wonder if we'll find the "real" Kardashian less America.

The paperback is a very satisfying thing, nicely presented, kind of rough paper. Love it.

Am also thrilled to see the way the "chapters" are presented.  Chapter 1 is one page and chapters 2 and 3 are a half page each.  THIS I can do.  hhahaaa

Am so looking forward to this!

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 05:31:45 PM »
Ginny - great!  Welcome!  Welcome! "Vicarious armchair traveling!"  As I read the opening chapters, I can't help but think how different it would be - for me - to travel alone as Least Heat-Moon is doing.  I don't think I've ever travelled alone, but can see where it would be quite a different experience. I'm sure YOU will fill in some interesting experiences - which could not have taken place with husband at your elbow.  I'm thinking of the conversations that would take place if travelling alone...

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 05:44:46 PM »
I'll check in from time to time - although probably without the book.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 05:50:42 PM »
All right, Maryz!  Bring your road atlas - if you have one!   :D

CallieOK

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 07:13:12 PM »
X     I have the book.  Not sure I'll read each and every word - but I'll enjoy reading the thoughts and impressions here of the different areas he travels through.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2014, 08:58:54 PM »
I remember  when Blue Highways came out back in the 1980’s..  And I remember talking about it with my dentist.  His comment was  "don't you think it's a bathroom book?" meaning that it was something to pick up and put down, but not a book to really get into.  At the time I found it to be of little appeal.

Now it appeals  to me more than it did when it first came out.  At least the first 9 pages?/chapters? do.  My library has the book.  I hope it comes with an index.  Now that I’ve travelled a little more, driven a few more byways, have read a few more books with interesting settings, I know that I at least want to look at it again -- to see some old familiar spots and no doubt find some new ones.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2014, 01:35:56 PM »
A "bathroom book" now that's an idea, Pedln!  In our house the "World Almanac" is the bathroom book of choice. :D

But I like the idea of picking and choosing chapters from this book...for those of us who are not about to commit to reading each and every word.  There is plenty here to talk about...and opportunity to  share similar experiences we find in the book.  Remembering that the book was written in 1978...I suspect to find much has changed over the years out on the road.  Maybe I'm wrong.  Maybe change has passed right over the people we'll meet in the out of the way towns on the little- travelled roads. 

CallieOK

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2014, 03:07:14 PM »
Now that I've started reading, I find I'm really enjoying the book.  I can't seem to limit myself to just a few chapters at a time, though.

It seems to me that each section of the book divides easily into "regional" discussions and the author is fairly clear about saying when he moves out of one region into another.  It will be interesting to compare the differences along the "blue highways".

When was the last time you drove on one?
   *  What's left of the country stores and cafes on the old blue highways?
   *  Do you have photographs?

A few years ago, three friends and I went on several "blue highway" trips around Oklahoma.  I do have pictures and I think some of them will fit into the discussion.  How do I share them - when the time comes?

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2014, 04:45:30 PM »
Ooh, Callie, would love to see some of the photos!  Are they digital...or paper prints? 

I'm finding the book much more engaging than expected.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2014, 10:52:15 PM »
This sounds like a lot of fun.  Can't wait to see your pictures, Callie.
I have always meant to read this book after one of my good friends, mother of eight, read it right after it was published (in the 80's), when her children were in middle school and high school, and she said it was such a good book and she thought I would like it.  So, I will be here on March 1st right after we see Mary(sister) off to her home in NC.

We just finished watching the most incredible closing of the Olympics.  What a peace filled program.  Just gorgeous with classical music and ballet dancers and floating sail boats and so much more.  Hate to see another olympics close.  But I was up this morning in time to see the last hockey game played and I am tired.  Goodnight, all! :D :D
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

CallieOK

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2014, 10:55:41 PM »
Joan,  I think I have the pictures on a cd - but I can scan the prints if necessary.

Please understand they aren't of any areas mentioned in the book - but, after we read descriptions of some of the places mentioned in the book, I think you might all enjoy them.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2014, 08:23:16 AM »
Annie, happy to hear you'll be joining us. We had to miss the closing ceremonies...peace-filled, you say!  Remembering the threats of violence before the games started, I'd say Russia did an outstanding job, from start to finish.  It cost plenty - I see in this morning's paper that it was the most expensive Olympics in history.  I hope the investment in Sochi pays off in the future.

Callie, if you can get the pix on CD, the next question - can you load them into Photobucket, Picasa or a similar site?  If not, could you email them to me?

ps Annie, your friend, that mother of eight, was probably ready for a vicarious travel experience! ;)

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2014, 11:01:10 PM »
Joanp,Yes, it was not only peace filled but peaceful with a Russion reporter who lived in Chicago, the last time I had seen him (his name escapes me, maybe Posner or Poslner, have seen him before) interpreting each presentation of the arts and naming some of the writers that weren't mentioned on the stage.  Especially pointing out how much ballet, classical musical, writing and painting means so much to the Russians.  He also explained that this whole program was to let the world know that Russia has always been a very cultured country.  You really need to see it and I think its being repeated on NBC.com/olympics or something like that.   ;)  It seemed like South Korea used the same folks,who designed the Russian theme, might have also designed S.K's . We were mesmerized for several hours.  I don't remember seeing anything like this in the earlier closings.
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

salan

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2014, 04:26:50 PM »
When are we going to get the reading schedule?  Only 2 more days in this month!
Sally

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2014, 04:53:56 PM »
Oops.  Sorry Sally!  Busy winding up with Wives and Daughters. Mrs. Glaskell is slow to unravel her story...and it didn't help that she died before she finished writing it.

Will put up the schedule in five minutes!

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2014, 09:58:13 PM »

We're going to have to postpone the start of this discussion until Monday morning, March 3.  Blame the limited  28 days in February.  There was a domino effect on the whole schedule.  More time for you to pack for the trip, right?

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2014, 09:11:10 AM »
I got the book from the library, and I'll be along for the ride.  I like that map.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2014, 05:48:20 PM »
Found it at Half Price book store - the cover looks different than the one in the heading but it is the same author. Hope this is not another route 66 tribute but we shall see what we shall see.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2014, 06:42:25 PM »
I just got the book from the library, and am happy to see that there is an index.  Haven't started reading yet.  But I love that map, too, PatH.  And already I'm wondering why he didn't include the Great River Road, coming out of Missouri.  It's very blue.

waafer

• waafer
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2014, 08:29:43 PM »
I was so pleased to find the map of his travels and after reading the book wondered how he could have missed so much BUT think he was escaping and just took really low Blue Highways.  I agree "how could he have missed he Great River Road- From Terre Haute we drove over to stay a couple of days in Alton when we had read that the Eagles were down that way(think it was January) and after driving thru the Perre Marquette National Park  we found we were able to book for a Road train the next day that took us into Bushland and we were able to observe the nEagles in their nests.  Seems when it freezes up North they come down the Mississippi where they can fish for food.
From the Great River Road  we took a short side turn into Elsa and found a beautiful church sitting there in a small village, just the setting for a good camera shot.  Further on was a small town Grafton and will always remember 'Fish Inn' and the fish meal we had there.  Further North we turned East but that is another story as we were going to Springfield Ill.
By travelling the Blue Highways, it meant we could stop and enjoy things along the way.  I could not find all the Blue Highways on my wall map but maybe the numbers have been altered.  Although I have read the book- am going to read it and follow the discussion.
In my travels every time we crossed the Mississippi I always asked my wonderful driver to 'STOP" so I could observe it all.

Frybabe

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2014, 08:30:06 AM »
I've started reading, but am still a little bummed that he apparently didn't see any of PA. Why mention New Freedom, PA in the intro if he didn't see any of PA? The map doesn't show him anywhere near New Freedom. Nevertheless, the book makes for very interesting reading.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2014, 12:03:27 PM »
Somewhere - either in the book - or maybe in an interview since the book was published, he must have explained what he was thinking when he drew up his itinerary, don't you think?  Keep your eyes open!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2014, 04:59:55 PM »
I got the book on kindle and started reading it last night. I see I read much too far: he has me hooked.

My husband and I on Sunday used to drive the little farm roads near where we lived in Maryland. Our challenge was "to get lost". Of course, the more we did it, the harder it was to get lost, since we knew the roads better and better.

Our vacation planning went like this: "lets go North this time." The best time I remember on vacation was once when we stopped for a cup of coffee and wound up staying three days.

But we didn't get to talking to people the way LHM does. Now, when I go places with my son, Dan, he stops and talks to everyone.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2014, 08:54:59 AM »
Good morning!  We're getting socked in with yet another winter storm - enough ice and now snow to close the Fed. Government and all schools (again!) a perfect day to stay inside with you and William Least Heat-Moon's travel journal...(which is really so much more than that, isn't it?) I'd love to keep a list here of the bits of philosophical observations he's included in the book.  Do you think he wrote them as he travelled - or after, during the editing process.

Let's get started!  Where to begin?  The correct answer- wherever you wish!  This week we'll consider the preparation for such a trip- and the first week on the road.

Would you say that the author began this trip to get away from something - or to find something new? JoanK, your "lost weekends" sound like such carefree FUN!

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2014, 09:55:24 AM »
JoanP,
Here's the link to author interview in 2011.  Really worth reading.  http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/14/travel/a-conversation-between-philip-caputo-and-william-least-heat-moon.html?_r=0

The following is a partial quote of Moon's from the interview.  "when life gets this way or that way, and we’re not really happy with it, what do we do? Put a kit bag over one shoulder and head out for the road because that’s where solutions might lie. Somewhere out there is an answer to why a life is as it is."

I am just taking my sweet ole' time reading this book.  It just reads that way.  I looked at my highway atlas for the roads and because its fairly new, there are no blue highways BUT there are red highways. Found, with the help of my handy hand-held magnifying glass, some of the numbers that he used. Since I am from Indiana and live in Ohio, I found his path through those states.  At the time, he was sort of shadowing I-64 on those old roads that most of us have been on before the super highways were built.  Sometimes, I thought he misnamed some towns but there they are under my glass.  I am now off to look up a town that seems misplaced in NC.  Or I am lost.  He taught English, right?  Well, his remarks show his talent for writing and quoting the English language. Back later!

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2014, 10:14:44 AM »
JoanK,
I may be reading too far ahead also and although I am taking my time reading the book, I keep going back to it often, to reread a paragraph or a quote that strikes my fancy.  I think I might start leaving post-its on those pages that strike my fancy so that I am not rereading too much to find what I want to keep in my head.

You and your husband must have had a great time on those old roads.  And, your son, sounds like one of my sons, when it comes to taking the time to speak with a person about what is going on. I think he picked it up from me and his great grandfather(yes, he knew him).  We always said that Granpa never met a stranger.  And, I am the same.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2014, 10:40:39 AM »
Annie, that's quite an interesting link - the difference between a traveller and tourist. Will get that link into the heading for easy reference...
Please do share those quotes that "strike your fancy."  IMO they are what make this so much more than a travelogue.

You bring up an important point about going ahead on the road.  This may work, once we get started, but right now, it will only add to confusion and may discourage those coming in to the site for the first time as we set out.  Will add your link to the heading and will keep the discussion schedule up to date so you know where we are...this week, starting east from Missouri.  Will copy the heading from the top of this page - in case you missed it.

Blue Highways - a Journey into America
by William Least Heat-Moon

This should be FUN!  Whether you decide to read and discuss William Least Heat-Moon's classic 1978 travel account  or share your own memories of the "blue highways" of America, you will probably leave winter doldrums behind -  in your driveway. Heat-Moon coined the term to refer to small, forgotten, out-of-the-way roads connecting rural America (which were drawn in blue on the old style Rand McNally road atlas).

The book chronicles the author's 13,000-mile journey and the people he meets along the way, as he steers clear of cities and interstates, avoiding fast food and exploring local American culture. His book was on the NY Times’ best seller list for 42 weeks in 1982-83, and its title became a cultural code word for a journey of introspection and discovery.

Some questions we'll explore:  
   *  Is most of your driving travel on the Interstates today?
   *  Are the backroads still drawn in blue on maps?
   *  When was the last time you drove on one?
   *  What's left of the country stores and cafes on the old blue highways?
   *  Do you have photographs?

Some Topics for Discussion
March 3-7 Part One Eastward

Let's bring in our own experiences and observations whenever possible.

1.  How much time did it take Bill Trogdon to get on the road from the time he lost his teaching job in Missouri? How well prepared was he?  What did his packing list reveal about the kind of trip he was planning?

2.  Have you ever taken an extended road trip? Will you tell us about it?  How much preparation went into it?  How did your trip differ from the author's? Were you trying to avoid the Interstates?

3.  Least Heat-Moon, Eddie Short Leaf...Osage Indian names. What do you know of the Osage Indians living in Missouri.  Least Heat-Moon says he's making the trip to find his roots.  Do you think need a purpose if you plan to be on the road for a long time?

4.  Is it at all clear why Heat-Moon chose this particular route? (See the   interactive map of his trip.   Why did he head East from Missouri?  Why the circular route, avoiding the mid-section of the country?  If you were to start out today, what direction, what route would you take?

5.  Part One chronicles the Eastern route he followed the first week of his trip.  This MAP  might be easier to follow - since he backtracked, went out of his way by 45 miles, to find a place called Nameless, TN.  What does this tell about his planned route?

6. Let's keep a list of  Least Heat-Moon's  philosophical observations, which make this so much more than a travel journal. (Just post your favorites and we'll add them.)

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2014, 11:14:18 AM »
Re #2:  We took a 3 1/2 month trip in 1998, pulling a travel trailer, going from Chattanooga to California to the eastern end of the Alaska Highway to Alaska, on the ferries back to Vancouver Island, across the northern tier of states, and back home.  We drove over 16,000 miles.  The first leg to California was pretty much structured, but after that, it was free-form except for having to deal with ferry reservations toward the end. 

We also went cross-country in 2003, mostly following the Lewis and Clark trail, then coming back on a more southerly route - also with the travel trailer - again, with no set itinerary. 

Way too much information to get into at one time, but I'll chime in from time to time, and will be happy to answer any questions.  We did the first trip after having the trailer for only a couple of months and taking two weekend trips locally.  We had no problems - I guess sometimes good fortune looks out for idiots. 
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

kidsal

• Howdy from Rock Springs, WY
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2014, 12:29:34 PM »
Drove the ALCAN Highway three times -- first to take a job in Anchorage -- 2nd and 3rd trip to Lower 48 to Las Vegas.  These were the days when the ALCAN was a gravel road except through the towns (each about 400 miles apart -- a good days drive on a gravel road.  Had a convertible!!  Many trips across USA.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2014, 03:08:23 PM »
My reading doesn't go as fast as I would have thought.  I'm looking up each town on my TripleA maps.  A lot of them are there, usually with a population of a few thousand.  The highways are grey, though.  And I have to look up the weird words.  A bindlestiff is a hobo, especially one who carries his clothes in a bundle (or bindle).  A froe is a cleaving tool with the handle at right angles to the blade, used for splitting cask staves and shingles from a block.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Froe

So far my favorite remark is "Life doesn't happen along interstates.  It's against the law."

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2014, 06:59:09 PM »
A good one, PatH!  Sounds like a wry comment Least Heat-Moon would make, doesn't it?  Don't you feel you are getting to know the man after reading just a few chapters?  Still a lot of unanswered questions, though.
The list of favorite quotes has been added to the relevant links in the heading, thanks to Marcie.

Where do you think the "weird words" come from?  Maybe Missouri-speak?