Author Topic: I Always Loved You by Robin Oliveira ~ PREDISCUSSION  (Read 13953 times)

PatH

• BooksDL
Re: I Always Loved You by Robin Oliveira ~ May/June Book Club Online
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2014, 08:30:16 PM »
The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome.
June Book Club Online
Please post below if you are free to join us.
JUNE 1

I ALWAYS LOVED YOU: A NOVEL
by Robin Oliveira

This should be FUN!  With the Internet at our fingertips, we'll be able to examine each of the artworks described here  by  the new talent, Robin Oliveira!

This is from a recent Seattle Times review:
"Degas is tempestuous, sardonic and witty.  But the focus is squarely on Mary, working on unfinished paintings, washing her brushes, reeking of turpentine, collaborating with Degas on a journal of etchings, thinking about “the essential talent of seeing.” Mary Cassatt comes alive as disciplined, socially acute, outspoken and stoic in facing down her self-doubt."

Discussion Schedule:

June 1-2    1926                Prologue
June 3-6      1877                Chapters One - Nine  
June 7-13    1877 cont.        Chapters Ten - Nineteen  
June 14-16  1878                Chapters Twenty - Twenty Six                
June 17-22  1879                Chapters Twenty Seven - Thirty Five
June 23-27  1880                Chapters Thirty Six - Forty Four
June 28-30  1881-3             Chapters FortyFive - Fifty Three

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2014, 10:29:34 PM »
I got a notice that the book I put on hold is available but I won't be able to pick it up until Tuesday since our library will be closed Saturday and Monday for the holiday.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2014, 04:17:53 PM »
Great, Marcie!  And PatH has hers too, now.  
Are we clear on the start date?  June 1?  I just put together a tentative discussion schedule - subject to change if needed.  It will be in the heading - that's the first place any changes will be made.  I tried to keep to the 19th century dates Ms. Oliveira used - though some of them - 1877 for example, was just too long for one week, so I had to break up that week.  We'll see how it works.

If you aren't reading the paper hardcover, can you tell me if the audible or electronic copies are divided into Chapter nos. or dates - both as in the book?  Hopefully there is a division for you.  If not, we'll have to try something else.  I'll post the discussion here now - but it will ALWAYS be posted first in the heading...
One more week!

Discussion Schedule:

June 1-2    1926                Prologue
June 3-6      1877                Chapters One - Nine  
June 7-13    1877 cont.        Chapters Ten - Nineteen  
June 14-16  1878                Chapters Twenty - Twenty Six                
June 17-22  1879                Chapters Twenty Seven - Thirty Five
June 23-27  1880                Chapters Thirty Six - Forty Four
June 28-30  1881-3             Chapters Forty Five - Fifty Three

mrssherlock

« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2014, 02:33:16 PM »
My library sent me two copies!

Often I've felt that I was missing important elements in my reading.  The plot, the characters, the prose - these are what I can speak to.  As an analyst (of data) by choice and inclination something whispered that there was much much more, secrets only English majors had knowledge of.  Eureka!  Here is a site with a list for use while reading the book.  Now the discussion, and my contributions thereto, will truly allow me to discover more of the depth I only sensed before. Check it out

http://www.litlovers.com/run-a-book-club/read-think-talk
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2014, 03:57:49 PM »
Wow!  Jackie - two copies of the book and another source revealing the secrets of English majors!  We will surely be well informed by the time we're done!

By the way, Annie, Pedln and I are meeting in DC at the National Museum of Art on June 3 to view the Cassatt/Degas exhibition.  If you are anywhere in the area, we'd love for you to join us.  But if not, we'll take notes, pictures and share our observations with you here in the discussion.

Annie, I can't remember just where I saw your post on how Robin Oliveira's book, I ALWAYS LOVED YOU reminded you Susan Vreeland's work - The Boating Party...
I wonder if you noticed on the back of the Oliveira book jacket - this quote from S. Vreeland herself...

"What a joy it is to be back in Belle Époque Paris with my old artist friends, guided by the masterful pen of Robin Oliveira whose finely crafted language brings to light the complicated relationships of four of the principals of the Impressionist movement—Cassatt, Degas, Manet, Morisot. Only an omniscient narrator has the latitude to disclose the private yearnings and fears of these four as they grapple with issues of art execution, scathing reviews, self-doubt, elusive fame, tempestuous love, and creeping mortality. Here, in beautiful prose, juicy with nuance and depth, is the intimate, heart-wrenching story behind Impressionist art history, with Mary Cassatt at its center. A glorious achievement."
-- Susan Vreeland, author of Luncheon of the Boating Party:

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2014, 06:12:48 PM »
They might not let us take pictures of the actual exhibition--they usually don't--but we'll at least get some pictures to show we were there.

Frybabe

« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2014, 07:48:09 AM »
Well that's interesting. I appear to be in a cue for the e-book. I guess they are limited to how many can download them at a time. Looks like this one is only one at a time, that is, if I correctly read the online book page.

bellamarie

« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2014, 10:40:27 AM »
Sounds like a very interesting book.  I am going to try downloading from my library or Amazon.  Looking forward to joining the discussion.
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

mrssherlock

« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2014, 02:22:50 PM »
Please remind me: June 1 we begin te discussion, or do we begin reading?  My memory not being razor-sharp . . . 
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2014, 02:35:18 PM »
Join the club, Jackie! :D

You got it the first time...of course you can read as much as you like, whenever you like, but for the sake of discussion, we ask that you make an attempt to stay with the schedule posted.  So, starting June 1, we'll spend two days on  the Epilogue and then get into 1877 - Chapters 1-9 for the next few days.

Fry - Bella, let us know how you do downloading the book - and let us know if the chapter divisions are clearly marked too, OK?

Frybabe

« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2014, 03:54:55 PM »
Oops! I meant audiobook. I doubt they give page numbers, but I assume the chapters will be clearly stated.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2014, 05:08:19 PM »
JoanP I actually thought of Susan Vreeland's book as I was reading.  After I left my message here, I just happened to see that she had commented on this book.  Both of these authors are so good at making one feel that he/she is there!  And theres that author who wrote about fossil finding in Lyme Regis.  She is also very good to read.  Another one.

I was in the grocery today shopping for things that I forgot yesterday.  And the grocery store had books displayed like B&N or our library does.  So I perused them and came home with six new titles from new and old authors.  Must enter them in my library reserve site and see if they are available.  I will do as you always suggest, JoanP, and read them first before recommending them here. :D :D :D

MrsSherlockWhat happened to your link to the site for reading this book??
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

CallieOK

« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2014, 08:17:33 PM »
X marking my spot.   I'm next on the Reserve list at the library for the book.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2014, 06:46:45 AM »
Let's hope the person in front of you is a fast reader.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2014, 08:43:30 AM »
Annie - mrssherlock's post with the link - is in post #48. 

So glad you plan to be with us, Callie!
 :D Let's hope that the person in front of Callie isn't reading with our group, Pat!

CallieOK

« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2014, 12:40:03 PM »
The library has eight copies.  I don't know of any other Okies who participate here. 
As far as I know, there's only one other Okie who participates on Seniors & Friends - and he doesn't live in the metro library area.

If necessary, I'll read fast!!!!!   :)

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2014, 06:07:23 PM »
I got a copy from the library yesterday, and hope to participate.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2014, 09:24:31 AM »
Looks like we have a good group reading this wonderful book. And today is the day!

Marcie, are we opening on another page or just keeping this one going?
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2014, 10:07:32 AM »
JoanK!  Good to have you with us!

Annie, stay tuned...today is opening day - we'll start a new page - soon as the techies arrive.  Will post a link here when ready.  In the meantime, will lock this discussion in preparation...

OK,,,we're open and ready for some great conversation - HERE>http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=4256.new;topicseen