Author Topic: Boys in the Boat ~ Daniel James Brown ~ Prediscussion  (Read 19841 times)

BooksAdmin

• TopicManager
Boys in the Boat ~ Daniel James Brown ~ Prediscussion
« on: November 23, 2014, 11:31:37 AM »
The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome.

January Book Club Online:
Please Post Below if you are able to join us!

The  Boys in the Boat
by Daniel James Brown

The #1 New York Times–bestselling story about American Olympic triumph in Nazi Germany.

"Out of the depths of the Depression comes an irresistible story about beating the odds and finding hope in the most desperate of times—the improbable, intimate account of how nine working-class boys from the American West showed the world at the 1936 Olympics in Berlin what true grit really meant...

The emotional heart of the tale lies with Joe Rantz, a teenager without family or prospects, who rows not only to regain his shattered self-regard but also to find a real place for himself in the world. Drawing on the boys’ own journals and vivid memories of a once-in-a-lifetime shared dream, Brown has created an unforgettable portrait of an era, a celebration of a remarkable achievement, and a chronicle of one extraordinary young man’s personal quest." - Amazon.com

This team of nine young athletes traveled to the Berlin Olympics, an event staged-managed by Hitler and the Nazis, and vanquished the Germans’ hand-picked crew. The book is in its fifth week as the No. 1 best-selling nonfiction paperback in the country, according to The New York Times. (It’s No. 5 on the best-seller list that covers all forms of nonfiction, both print and e-book.)

DISCUSSION SCHEDULE:

PROLOGUE, PART ONE..............................JANLUARY  l -  7          

PART TWO...............................................JANUARY  8 - 14

PART THREE............................................JANUARY 15 - 21

PART FOUR Ch. 13-15...............................JANUARY 22 - 28

PART FOUR Ch. 16-end.............................JANUARY  29 - FEBRUARY 4
~

RELEVANT LINKS:
1936 Film of Olympic Rowing

Daniel James Brown Website and Information

Discussion Leaders: Ella & JoanK

JoanK

• BooksDL
Re: Boys in the Boat ~ Daniel James Brown ~ Proposed for January
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 04:43:38 PM »
I'm very glad ELLA asked me to co-lead this discussion. I was born about the time this book starts, into a depression I was too young to understand but which shaped me because it shaped the way my parents saw the World. So when Ella told me she had read this book and wanted to lead a discussion, I jumped at it. To follow a young man from a working class background trying as my father had to succeed in an elitist area. Maybe I could understand him better.

This is a sports story, but much more. I'm just starting the book, but I've already met intriguing characters from Goebbels to obscure craftsmen working in attics. It's about the depression, the rise of the Nazis, the use of propaganda and of hard backbreaking work.

And rowing.

I love watching sports, but I've never loved watching rowing. It's not much to look at in my view. I think that's because the most interesting things about it are going on in the rowers heads. I've never seen athletes in any sport talk about their sport the way rowers talk about rowing: almost like poetry. Something is going on in there that we don't see, and I'm hoping to get a glimpse of it.

So come and join us. jump in the boat, and let's go, We can have a good time, learn a lot, and give that guy Hitler his come-uppance at the same time.  

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 11:20:40 PM »
I'VE BEEN OUT OF TOWN, BUT ECHO EVERYTHING JOANK HAS SAID!  IT'S A VERY GOOD READ!

Yes, these boys loved rowing, loved their sport, gave it their all, daring to hope that they might make it to Berlin for the 1936 Olympics.

LET US KNOW IF YOU CAN GET A BOOK AND JOIN US IN JANUARY.

kidsal

• Howdy from Rock Springs, WY
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 02:20:34 AM »
I have the book

Halcyon

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 10:06:11 AM »
Am taking my first year of Latin with Ginny.  Would like to be in on this book discussion.  Count me in.

Halcyon/Ann

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 12:43:31 PM »
OH, THIS IS GREAT!

THANK YOU KIDSAL AND ANN FOR JOINING IN.  YOU'LL LOVE THE BOOK.

p.s. Don't start reading the book until January - a month away - if you have the book stick it under the
bed for now so you won't be tempted to read. 

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 04:44:59 PM »
WELCOME KIDSAL and ANNE. This should be a great discussion.

ANNE: would you like to tell us a little bit about yourself? Are you having any trouble getting the book? (we try to pick books that are available in libraries).

Jonathan

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 09:33:05 PM »
What a wonderful choice for a read and a discussion. I've got a reserve on the book, and I will probably buy a copy if I have to wait too long. Sports and historical drama. What a combination. In the last Olympics...wasn't it the Girls in the Boat, who won the Gold? How about this I found among the raves about the book? From the coxwain in the winning shell.

“For years I’ve stared and wondered about the old wooden boat resting on the top rack of the UW (Univ. of Washington) boathouse. I knew the names of the men that rowed it but never really knew who they were. After reading this book, I feel like I got to relive their journey and witness what it was truly like earning a seat in that Pocock shell. The passion and determination showed by Joe and the rest of the boys in the boat are what every rower aspires to. I will never look at that wooden boat the same again.”—Mary Whipple, Olympic gold medal–winning coxswain, women’s eight-oared crew, 2008 and 2012

I'm not sure the book will be safe under my bed. I'd better lock it away somewhere.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 10:00:06 PM »
JONATHAN, good to see you here and you lock that book in a safe place and hide the key.   Come on, where is self-discipline?   But I know exactly how  you feel.    This is a winning combination, and...

the 1936 Olympics.  Who can ever forget them?   JESSE OWENS, that great black American runner.   Was it 4 gold medals he won?  Something like that.  And in doing so, proved that the Aryan race Hitler was attempting to build in Germany was not superior.

The boys in the boat were there, but that is all I am going to tell you!   No spoiling the book for others.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 10:09:43 AM »
I'm definitely in.  It sounds like a really good read.  There is a family of rowers across from me--parents and teenage boy and girl.  It's really important to all of them, and maybe I'll get a better idea why.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 01:29:51 PM »
PATH, happy you will be here with us as we learn about these boys and their determination to succeed.   I imagine that the family close to you has a goal they want to meet, or possibly, it's just exercise for them.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 04:26:26 PM »
YEAH JONATHAN AND PAT. we're filling up our boat, but there's plenty more room!

hysteria2

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2014, 07:59:30 PM »
I'm in. I was hoping to check it out from the library before buying a copy. All I can say is it must be a really good book because the waiting list is huge. I would get it by March maybe. So I will be getting the print version from Amazon.
If only I could be the person my dog thinks I am!

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2014, 10:12:45 PM »
HYSTERIA!  Welcome, we're all glad to have you with  us and remember do NOT read the book until January - why, you  might get pushed out of the book for such unruly behavior. 

My library had many holds on the book also.   It seems it has become popular through word of mouth.    Is it on any bestseller lists that anyone knows of? 

hysteria2

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2014, 01:07:43 AM »
I promise I will not read the book until January! I am ordering it now though so I won't find it unavailable when January rolls around.  ;D

harry10

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2014, 07:54:05 AM »
 Congratulations on your first year choice of Latin with Ginny.  I am in my 3rd year and think she is wonderful; such an enriching experience in so many ways beyond the fun of learning Latin

I will try to find the book via the library, it sounds very interesting, the 1930s was an amazing decade and the 1936 Olympics so incredibly important.

Harry10

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2014, 11:50:21 AM »
Yes, indeed, HARRY, the decade of the thirties was one of our countries' worst and greatest.  The depression caused so much unhappiness, such misery, but it was toward the end of the depression that the 1936 Olympics was held.   Hitler wanted to show the world what a great society he  had built, and, in truth, he had.  He had created jobs, gave  people hope, ignored the Versailles treaties in doing so.  

Someday we should discuss a book about the Third Reich, but this book is about young American boys working very hard toward a goal that each individual set for himself.  

So happy to have you here, will you be a rower or coxswain?

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2014, 03:48:00 PM »
WELCOME HYSTERIA. I'm so glad to see you here. I really enjoyed your contributions to THE HOT ZONE.

And WELCOME HARRY. Latin AND more recent history too. What a great combination!

Makes me think: sports were important to the Romans too. And was superiority in sports tied to national identity then, too? (I know it was with the Greeks. Have to ask Ginny) Are sports found in every society? Why do we feel so proud when "our" team wins, when we had nothing to do with it? (Two of "my" teams won last night in two different sports, and I felt good all evening!)

Anyway, Hitler was certainly convinced that his superior athletes would show the world how superior Germans were.

Jonathan

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2014, 04:21:05 PM »
There are eight of us. That makes a crew. We need a coxwain. That's the guy who's along for the ride. As you can see from the cover, he has no oar.

I'm just into a book on the Third Reich. Bella Fromm's Blood & Banquets:  A Berlin Social Diary. Fromm wrote a social column for a Berlin newspaper in the thirtys, and we met her in Erik Larsen's In the Garden of Beasts. She showed the ambassador's daughter around and introduced her to many important people. She observed Hitler's behavior at the Olympics and has a few things to say about that. In her diary, not in her column Can you imagine the pressure on German athletes contending for the Fuehrer. And the challenge for all the others.

'The manner in which Hitler applauds German winners is an orgasmic frenzy of shrieks, clappings, and contortions, painful proof that the whole idea of Olympic games is far too broad for his single-track mind. This is his show, and his Germans are supermen. That the whole world must admit. He has said some remarkable things.' (p225)

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2014, 04:54:31 PM »
The coxswain does nothing? That sounds like my job. Oh, wait: I have to be able to count!  ;)

Actually, the coxswain's job sounds IMPOSSIBLE! They time the strokes to the 10th of a second!?! And make changes in stroke rate of 10th of a second?!?

Who can do that? Have any of you?

Aberlaine

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2014, 05:13:22 PM »
I just put a hold on the Kindle version of this book at my library.  I'm sixth in line so I think I'll have it in time.

Nancy

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2014, 10:03:29 PM »
I would be #171 in line at my library, although waiting for one of 45 copies.  That doesn't give me much chance of getting it in time, so I'll buy it.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2014, 10:30:09 PM »
WELCOME NANCY  Perhaps the Kindle edition of the book is easier to obtain?  I know little -   nothing -  about the Kindle, although Santa may be putting one under the tree.  My eyesight is not what it was or should be or I would like it to be, OH, WHAT THE _______ (says Archie, the cockroach, remember him?)  

hysteria2

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2014, 10:52:38 PM »
I'm pretty sure you can chose from several sizes of print on the Kindle. I know I had to change the page color from stark white to a light beige color. The factory setting almost blinded me! That is the beauty of the Kindle. You can customize it.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2014, 04:15:00 AM »
I not only remember Archy, I used him in one of our word guessing games a few days ago, and Frybabe remembered him too.

Aberlaine

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2014, 07:02:31 AM »
Ella, yes the Kindle type size can be increased.  My partner bought one and kept it on "large" font.  The only problem with getting the Kindle version from my library is that I can have it for only 21 days.  So, if our discussion goes beyond that I'll have to get in line again.  If you're going to buy the Kindle version, it is usually cheaper than buying the book.

Nancy

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2014, 04:12:57 PM »
WELCOME NANCY! I'm glad to see another kindle user.The kindle version is only $2.99 and you can get it from the Amazon add on this page. (I thought I paid more for it, but that's what I just saw). So jump on the boat. Would you like to be coxswain?

ELLA: if Santa does bring you a kindle for Christmas, I recommend spending some time with the users manual that comes with it. Not the most thrilling reading, but it does tell you how to do all the things you want to do to adjust it to you, like changing the type size and background color. And how to organize the books by subject, something I always wanted to do, but never had the stamina to do with my book-books.

I'm relieved to know you can change the background color on the new ones. My "Old" one is set to a soothing nice light gray, and I was afraid if it ever gave up the ghost, I'd be stuck with the blinding white of my grandkids'

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2014, 08:25:41 PM »
Thanks for the advice on the Kindle, folks!  I hope I can get used to the feel of it after holding books in my  hand since I was a wee one.

If you have never been introduced to Archy and Mehitabel, here is a treat - published about the same time as our boys were learning to row:

http://donmarquis.com/archy-and-mehitabel

marjifay

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2014, 01:30:02 PM »
I put it on hold at my library (I'm first on the hold list) - not because I 'm interesting in rowing or the Olympics, but because it is recommended at Amazon for those who liked Unbroken, which was one of my favorite reads last year where Louie Zamperini raced in that Olympics (He died this year at age 97, I was sorry to learn)  

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2014, 03:31:50 PM »
MARJ: WELCOME!  We may find out we like rowing better than we thought we did.

Jonathan

« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2014, 04:36:34 PM »
Of course we will. Rowing is what dreams are made of. Everybody growing up in the thirtys learned to sing 'Row, row, row your boat, gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, life is but a dream. With an all out effort comes gold and glory.

Halcyon

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2014, 07:28:23 PM »
Greetings,
Had no trouble getting the book. Ordered from Amazon and it was here in two days. Was all set to start reading when I read Ella's post about not starting until January!  As I said in my first post I'm taking year one of Ginny's Latin class. Had studied Latin years ago and have always wanted to continue. I live in  snowy Central New York with my husband and a 100 pound yellow lab named Grover Cleveland of Mugwump who gives me fits;this week he swallowed a sock and ate a square foot out of a quilt!  I love reading myseries especially series. Currently I'm finishing the Joe Gunther series which takes place in Vermont.  Can't wait to start The Boys in the Boat.

Ann

mabel1015j

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2014, 12:20:01 AM »
I have requested the book at the library, there are 6 holds on it, but they have 2 book copies and an audio copy.

Jean

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2014, 12:26:48 PM »
JONATHAN, there is a lot of meaning in that little song - as we "row" our way through life, shall it be a dream or a nightmare or do we have a choice?  That's another discussion, isn't it?

ANN, a New Yorker, love you!  And snowy, oh yeah, I live in Ohio and it gets cold and snowy here, too.  But must you walk that big dog every day?   And what kind of diet do you have the poor dog on that he is so hungry he must eat "socks and quilts?" hahahahahhaaa   When I was much, much younger with a house and children I, too, had dogs who preferred that diet.   At one time, we had grandma, (Snoopy), daughter (Missy) and granddaughter dog  (peppy) all living in our  house.   The kids weren't too creative with names.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2014, 12:34:34 PM »
Hi, MABEL, good you will be here.

I will be posting a schedule of discussion soon in the heading.   It is to keep the group all together in one section of the book so we will not be rambling.  But, of course, ramblings about the history of the era and rowing and issues of that nature are always welcome.

I have no idea of the age of any of you, but I can tell you I remember FDR.  And the radio, his addresses, the soap operas while I did my chores.  When I was very small I thought FDR was my grandfather and when I grew a bit older and he died, I thought the country would never survive.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2014, 12:37:22 PM »
PEARL HARBOR DAY, lest we forget.

Halcyon

« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2014, 01:14:51 PM »
Hi Ella
Interesting you say that about FDR. I felt the same about Ike when I was little. Beautiful sunny day here in Central New York. All the snow has melted.  Just waiting for the next round. Great day to walk that big quilt eating dog of mine!

Ann

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2014, 03:15:34 PM »
JEAN: WELCOME WELCOME!

HALCYON: do come into our mystery discussion and tell us about the John Gunther series. we're always looking for good mystery series.

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=807.msg240919#new

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2014, 03:31:56 PM »
Marj: you mentioned the Olympic runner Louie Zamperini and the book about him: "Unbroken." I had forgotten til my daughter reminded me today that he was born in Torrance California where I live. The little airfield near bye (whose low-flying planes drive me crazy) was named for him. My daughter saw him when he led a parade here a few years ago.

The book is being made into a movie. 

Aberlaine

« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2014, 10:48:28 AM »
WELCOME NANCY! I'm glad to see another kindle user.The kindle version is only $2.99 and you can get it from the Amazon add on this page. (I thought I paid more for it, but that's what I just saw). So jump on the boat. Would you like to be coxswain?

ELLA: if Santa does bring you a kindle for Christmas, I recommend spending some time with the users manual that comes with it. Not the most thrilling reading, but it does tell you how to do all the things you want to do to adjust it to you, like changing the type size and background color. And how to organize the books by subject, something I always wanted to do, but never had the stamina to do with my book-books.

I'm relieved to know you can change the background color on the new ones. My "Old" one is set to a soothing nice light gray, and I was afraid if it ever gave up the ghost, I'd be stuck with the blinding white of my grandkids'

Joan, if the library doesn't come up with the book before January, I'll order it from Amazon.  And, thank you for offering to let me be the coxswain, but I reluctantly decline. ;)