Author Topic: December Holiday Open House  (Read 28101 times)

BooksAdmin

• TopicManager
December Holiday Open House
« on: November 25, 2014, 12:39:49 PM »
December ~ Holiday Open House

Come celebrate the holidays with us...

- Our Discussion Leaders have shared two favorite short stories in the spirit of the season - as is custom this time of the year.  You may notice these stories seem to center on warm memories of home and family.  

Do they match your mood this time of year?

Let's share precious - and humorous memories of days gone by!

December 1-7: The Gift (Ray Bradbury)

December 8-14: The Gift of the Magi (O'Henry)

---What memories of gifts given or received stand out in your mind?
--- Is there something you received long ago that you still treasure?
---What's the best gift you ever received and why is it the best?

Feeling lucky?  All participants posting in this discussion will automatically be  entered in a drawing to win a $15 gift certificate to either Barnes and Noble or Amazon, your choice.  Simply post here and enjoy the discussion. Two contest winners will be selected randomly and announced on December 21. Two prizes will be awarded of $15 each!  Winners will be emailed (at the email address you provided on this website) to obtain contact information in order to award the prize.

December 15-31: And what is a holiday without good food!  

---What is a "must have" on your table at the holidays?
---Do you make any special cookies or candies for a holiday treat for family and friends?

And since we can't send you special fudge and cookies, our treats to you are links to some additional online Christmas stories you might enjoy as your time permits:

Pepin's Lord of Misrule - A Medieval Christmas   (Denis Domning)

The Burglar's Christmas  (young Willa Cather)

T'is the Season (China Miéville)

All Seated on the Ground (Connie Willis)

Happy Holidays, everyone
Your SeniorLearn DLs
!

ginny

• Administrator
Re: December Holiday Open House
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 10:11:00 AM »
 Welcome to our December Open House!

Our Theme this year is Gifts.

Like all open houses, we hope you'll drop by when you can, and return often,  and bring us the gift of your presence and your ideas, jokes, stories, memories of past holidays and things you enjoyed.

Share a laugh, read one of the stories in the heading here, all uplifting and wonderful, and share with us some of your own stories and remembrances.  What is the most memorable gift you ever received  and why?

Let's share disaster stories, too. The turkey which turned to petrified wood. The salad which slid to the  floor. The beautiful heirloom  cloth with the unmovable stain, what do you put on it to hide it?   Do you or don't you serve the cranberry with the "rings?"

Let's share our favorite foods of the holidays. What is the ONE dish that  you have to have on the table or have to eat during this season or  the holiday is  "just not the same?"

Let's come together from all parts of the world and share our holiday traditions, gifts, successes and failures.

And have a laugh and learn something about each other in the process.

Welcome!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 02:30:21 PM »
HO HO HO!

Let's start off tis holiday month by thinking about gifts. read the (short short) story by Ray Bradbury listed in the heading and come in and tell us: what is the most unforgettable gift you ever received?

I've got the eggnog and hot cider ready, so see you around the tree.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 05:39:47 PM »
The Holidays are coming and we are celebrating again with stories that open us to the wonders of life. Love it...!

My memories are filled with 'getting ready' this time of year - all the cleaning, decorating, baking, sewing, crafting ornaments, shopping, getting out the cards and the annual notes on many of the cards, wrapping, attending traditional events, on and on...

I realized this Thanksgiving how easy it can be to buy what you need or want, even a holiday dinner and decided 'easy' is not satisfying - oh it can be fun and delightful but, the satisfaction that comes with 'the doing' is just not there so, if a glitch comes along and the 'easy' has to be cancelled it is "easy" to do just that and then, you have to wonder how meaningful was 'easy' to begin with.

And so I am thinking, like the story - a purchased gift is 'easy' - however, a wonderment is greater than what we can give all purchased and wrapped - wonderment is a community, a family, sharing in the light of something greater than ourselves - is that the basis of religion do you think? The winter solstice was also a celebration of light and so maybe deep within us we long for a light that is more than the warmth of a Spring day.

Well with all of that - but the story did take me into my thoughts and hope ol' Ben Bradbury can bring you to a place of warmth and light in your heart - And if not ol' Ben than for sure our family here on Senior Learn will share our warmth and light from our hearts. Looking forward to hearing about everyone's month of preparing for their anticipated holiday celebration.  
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 11:25:51 AM »
What do I get from reading Ray Bradbury's "The Gift"?  Of all the thoughts of childhood Christmases as a child, I remember being so excited about my brother, Joe, who had just been taken into Boy Scouts before the holiday and the gift that hung on our tree for him.  In my excitement, I eagerly yelled at Joe about the gift he just wouldn't believe was there.  Reaching out and trying to pull his new BS knife off the tree limb, I had a problem!  In my urgent rush to get that gift down,  I felt the tree coming at me and just yanked on the knife harder!  Well, you know what happened, of course you do!  I pulled so hard that I pulled the tree down and ornaments came flying off while it crashed to the floor.  The silence was resounding! My parents, along with Joe, just stood there, in shock! And then we all managed to get the tree back up, rehanging the decorations and all of a sudden, I realized, I had the knife in my hand.  While presenting it to my brother, I waited for someone to scold me.  But, my parents just burst our laughing at what had happened.  I felt so lucky!  My gift that holiday?  The memory of the laughter ringing out and arms of love around me.  I have never forgotten it!  
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 01:42:04 PM »
The music of Christmas, the carolers, the hymns we all know and love.  We hear them once a year; I think we all feel comforted by them, feel connected.

O COME, ALL YE FATHFUL!

TELL US WHAT  YOU LOVE ABOUT CHRISTMAS.

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 10:17:13 AM »
Good December the Oneth morning to all!  I know we say this over and over, but where does the time go? 

It's a very "crisp" 12°here this morning.  I had to laugh at a local TV  news anchor who moved to Iowa from N. Carolina.  She said she couldn't understand why Iowans put out their Christmas lights, etc. so early in the fall.  And then the temps went to the low single digits and she said she had an "Ah ha!" moment and now understands.

I read the Bradbury short story earlier, but I need to go back and reread it again before commenting.  I was a little leary of it...SciFi not being my thing, but it was cute.  It's just that my short term memory is not what it used to be, so I need to re-read.

jane 

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 01:09:32 PM »
I just read the GIFT, the Bradbury story , and candles seem to be important to the boy; he had to leave the tree and candles behind to go on his trip, but  he found billions of candles while on his way.  However, the purpose of the story, perhaps, is you can find the "the season and love" everywhere, on earth or in space. 

nlhome

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 01:53:41 PM »
I'm happy that we have this discussion. It will bring back so many memories. My husband and I were married a few days before Christmas, and our first child was born December 20, so our best memories are of those happy days.

Our holiday this year will be very different. It has changed much over the last couple of years as our family has spread out and grown, so that the tradition of Christmas Day that we had for so many years has been replaced by our children's traditions with their own families.

Last year we spent Christmas Day alone, with much time on the phone and computer to share the day; then spent a later party day with some of our family in person and others via Skype. This year, we're traveling and will miss the family here but connect with some far away.

But the tradition of spending time with loved ones and sharing the holiday continues. There will be few, if any, gifts, but lots of food and laughter wherever we are.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 03:13:47 PM »
Well all the advent calendars are out and rather than the tall candles in the pewter advent wreathe I decided to use what I have and i have 3 white and 1 red votive candle - not even the correct colors but the idea is there and I am using some rosemary stems and nandina which both will dry out but I have loads and can refresh the circle of green each Sunday as I light the additional candle - I was both pleased and surprised since I leave on the 16th I will have 3 Sundays and over two weeks to light the Advent Wreathe during my dinner time.

I am postponing putting on that heat - hate the hot air blowing but today the temp dropped 35 degrees from yesterday when it was 79 degrees most of the day and in the lower 70 for the two days before Sunday - now it is in the lower 40s brrrr - nothing like Jane's teen degree temp but for us it does not feel good. I need to get busy - I have some ironing to do - that should get the blood moving.

Been clearing out all year and finally the last room - the laundry room and in the bottom basket of the tower I had all these table cloths that were washed but never ironed - of course I had to wash them afresh but while ironing them I am shocked that several I never realized - they are hand made - were given to me by aunts and grandmothers and just used them all these years - never looked closely - the stitching is a wonder - all hand done close and even - I do not think most of the young today even know about hand stitching and the labor poured out by someone or the skill it took to make these fancy hems and invisible hems or to attach lace that some of that is even hand made - I am in awe at the workmanship and find it sad that I seldom spread a table almost like a ritual with handmade linens and family Silver, Chrystal and China.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 04:37:22 PM »
Will you all hate me if I say I spent Friday at the beach? Hard to believe Christmas is coming among the palm trees. But the warmth and love inside is the same.

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 04:52:04 PM »
JoanK....certainly not hate...but maybe envious...since I had to run errands to the bank and court house, and it's still COLD out there.   Enjoy those warm temps and palm trees for all of us in colder areas!!!

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2014, 10:25:30 PM »
JoanK,  how could anyone hate you for being on the beach -- most of us would love to be there.  We had lovely warm almost beach weather yesterday and then freezing rain and sleet all day today.

But your talk of Christmas and the palm trees brings back many memories from when we lived in Puerto Rico and the poinsettas grew almost to the height of small trees.

I love our SeniorLearn discussions about Christmas and am looking forward to reading and talking about the different stories.  Tomorrow is my day to indulge in doing just that as my visiting New York daughter is leaving at 5 am.  It was a lovely visit, she was able to squeeze in an extra day, and helped me get some Christmas decorations up -- it's the first time I've ever had anything up to early.

Barb, you've brought back memories of our Advent Calendars, how my four would each scheme to be the one to hang the star on Dec. 24.  Interesting about your tablecloths.  This weekend my daughter and I helped an 87-yr-old friend move from one apartment to another.  She had a piece of exquisite embroidery on a lamp table and told us, "My mother-in-law made this."

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2014, 11:37:46 PM »
I think that I "discovered" Ray Bradbury in my early teens. I remember reading THE GIFT and sharing in the awe that the little boy experiences looking into space at all of the stars that his father knew could become the lighted candles of the family's Christmas tradition. Outer space is usually thought of as cold and far from home but this family and the other people in the cabin were able to transform it into a familiar warm tradition. I think that, as some of you have posted, many of us are forming new traditions as we and our families change over time. Inspired by this story, I'm going to try to be more imaginative in our holiday celebrations this year. I'll need to think about that and get ideas from each of you. I'm enjoying hearing about some of your holiday memories and traditions.

Annie, I love your story about your brother's knife and the fallen tree! I'm so glad that you didn't get into trouble :-)

Frybabe

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2014, 06:44:01 AM »
The beginnings of an interesting discussion. I will reread The Gift a little later today. I've also bookmarked The Gift of the Magi to reread. My agenda today is to cook a turkey, get the Christmas music out, and find a spot for my little Christmas tree.

Speaking of gifts, my sister requested that I make her an infinity scarf for Christmas. The one I picked out is a broomstick lace pattern. Naturally, I couldn't just buy one skein, I ended up with several, and some new crochet and knitting needles. Now I have enough to make several scarves and cowls. This is eating into my reading time. And of course, the cats have discovered YARN.  ::)

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2014, 12:19:11 PM »
Frybabe, what is an "infinity" scarf?  Do they never end?

Frybabe

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2014, 12:21:41 PM »
Pedln, an infinity scarf is just a scarf that is extra long and joined together at the ends so it makes a loop. I guess the idea is that you can leave it hang or wrap it around your next twice. 

bellamarie

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2014, 12:46:39 PM »
Frybabe, An infinity scraf!  How exciting, I go to my church's annual Christmas bazaar, and purchase myself a new one each year now.  I absolutely love them, they keep me so warm when going outside.  Here in Ohio our temps dip to way below zero many times throughout the winter.  I knitted and crocheted for all the years my three children were growing up, and have not done anything in years.  It's such a relaxing, rewarding thing to do.

Annie, I am sitting here chuckling at your story of your tree falling down with your hand still on the knife.  It brought me back to when my forty year old son, (who was very shy, timid and afraid of everything,) was just seven years old.  We had decided to finally use a real life tree, and put it up early to admire it.  One morning I was getting ready for work, and the two boys Mike 7yrs. old and his brother Jeremy 5 yrs old, were laying on the floor near the tree watching cartoons, before leaving for school.  All of a sudden I heard a cry, and a scream....MOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!  I came running down the stairs to see the tree had fallen on poor Mike and he was buried underneath it, afraid to move.  The branches were picking him on his back, and oh the poor thing was just petrified.  Luckily in the midst of this chaos, my 30 yr old nephew happened to come to the door and he was able to get that huge tree off my son, and take it outside.  Needless to say, we have never attempted a real tree since.  We do still laugh about how Mike was trapped under that scratchy tree to this day.

I have not read The Gift, yet.  Will put it on my afternoon, to do list today.
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

Venia

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2014, 02:48:57 PM »
It's hard to believe another year has flown by already. Like nlhome, Christmas is different now that our girls our grown and off on their own. While we still see them somewhat regularly for Holidays and special occasions, they aren't here to help with all the traditional preparations and decorating we've done together as a family since they were little. Now it's just my husband and me. We still make the annual trip to the Christmas Tree farm, however, where we spend 30 minutes 'negotiating' for our favorite tree before hauling it home to decorate. We have so many good memories of those annual trips...horse-drawn sleigh rides, hot cocoa in a warming shed, looking at every last tree before we picked one :-). One year the girls were just recovering from the chicken pox, but still insisted we make the trip. They were still pretty small, and we ended up carrying them on our backs through the farm! Some day I hope to have grandchildren with whom to share this wonderful tradition. Until then, I'm grateful to have two healthy, happy daughters who still love to come home as often as they can.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2014, 04:40:15 PM »
It's so neat that each family has their own Christmas traditions that are so meaningful to them.

My son is newly engaged, and going through what every young couple go through: trying to blend the two families' traditions. He thought it would be easy, since our family always celebrates on Christmas Eve, but unfortunately hers does too. I'm watching this early test of a couple learning to compromise from a distance, willing to go along with whatever they decide.

Pam55

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2014, 09:02:23 PM »
Oh this is fun.  So glad I clicked in.  Not much time for a post, but I want to thank you for Ray Bradbuy's story, The Gift. I loved it! It's funny, I seem to be the only "believer" in my wonderful family of mostly techie/engineering geeks and professed atheist/agnostics who lovingly put up with my advent wreath, grace before meals, etc.  Anyway, I'm reading a book by a cosmologist named Guy Consolmago titled God's Mechanics: How Scientists and Engineers Make sense of Religion.  I planned on giving my son the engineer a copy of it.  I will absolutely share this story with my family. I recommend the book and also the article "Sci-Fi Legend Ray Bradbury on God, Mosters and Angels" You can find it online if you google it.  Got to run.

BeckiC

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2014, 09:35:14 PM »
I love this time of year. It always sneaks up on me though living here in Florida. But I have good memories of my childhood in Illinois of the snow and being all bundled up in our snowsuits to go out and make snowmen and snow angels or just sliding down the hills. Also going to search for the perfect tree down the street at the Piggly-Wiggly store and the 4 of us kids helping Dad carry it back home. Ice-skating on the local frozen pond. Mom making up four batches of sugar cookie dough so we could each roll out and decorate our own cookies. Yes, good memories.
One of my favorite things about the holiday season is the music. I love all the caroles and hymns.
What a great time of year.
I have a younger sister who is very talented but not when it comes to cooking. Her skills led to lots of laughter for several years. First turkey-no idea there were gizzards and such tucked inside until the bird was cooked. First ham (because the turkey thing didn't work out so well) she had a heck of a time pushing the cloves into it...as it started to cook and some plastic looking material started to shrink up, we realized she forgot to take the second wrapper off the ham. Sweet potato casserole..the kind with the marshmallows on top? Yes those, never set on broil and walk away. We smelled something burning and when the oven door was opened FLAMES licked out at us. We were howling. And her last attempt at cooking she pared it down to a special cornbread. It came out flat and dry. She couldn't understand what happened. My BIL opened the microwave later in the day and said what's all this melted butter for? Aha!! What a good sport she always was. So I have to say being together and laughing has always been the greatest gift.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2014, 02:26:48 AM »
Haha Bellamarie your Tree falling story, although difficult for you son must have been an unexpected surprise that you never know if you should laugh over or be upset over till much later when the story becomes part of the family folklore and everyone can smile with the remember when...

We had our Tree falling incident some years ago - no one near it - my son and his family put their tree and indoor decorations up on Thanksgiving weekend and I have always spent Thanksgiving with them - it was while they were living in Bryan and the boys were 5th and 6th grade - we were sitting down to a very late lunch of leftovers after, the entire Saturday morning having been devoted to the tree - while we were at the table it was like slow motion and we reacted slow motion not believing what we were seeing, with forks of food in mid air we watched this tree slowly, grandly take a fall - astounded we did not run but slow motion, as if a specter came in and blew the tree down, we stood around it and gradually without a word, picked it all up shaking our heads at what seemed unreal - from then on their tree, both real and later the artificial tree was always attached to the wall with several guy wires.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2014, 02:27:32 AM »
Venia your story of chopping down your tree at the Christmas Tree farm also, reminds me of my son and his family when for nearly 3 years they lived in Beaverton, a suburb of Portland, Oregon and together we went to a Christmas Tree Farm - what a sight - it was up in the mountains and the view was spectacular with Mt. Hood nearby - 2 of the years it was cold with snow on the ground so the sleigh ride and hot chocolate seemed like a Christmas card come to life - it is hard isn't it when they are all grown and off on their own - when they are little we think it will go on forever and then trying to figure out what is important and what was for our children.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2014, 02:28:05 AM »
Isn't interesting Pam how some can seamlessly see God and Science as extensions of each other while others, from both Science and Religion see them as separate and never the two can entwine - I had to quick look up the book you are reading on Amazon and another he wrote that has me chomping to order is - Brother Astronomer: Adventures of a Vatican Scientist Thanks for introducing us to this author - very interesting - My one grandson is the geek who shakes his head without appreciating how a spiritual connection makes sense - where as his younger brother is into all things Chinese and has studied Buddhism - he is off to China for his next semester and then an internship in Shanghai for the summer - in between he intends to join a small group hiking in Tibet for 2 weeks and on the way they will see several important Buddhist temples - this takes my breath away - more exciting then being 5 or 6 waiting for Christmas Day.  Just reminds me how there are so many various viewpoints mingling or not in this world - fascinating isn't it.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2014, 02:28:25 AM »
Becki your sister does sound like a hoot - what fun - and those batches of sugar cookies - reminds me of growing up when advent was the time for mom to bake and bake and bake - sugar was a premium during WWII so my Aunts would pool their sugar coupons to Mom, who not only baked but was the jam maker - the best of all these cookies was the day before Christmas Eve she made melt in your mouth butter cookies and on Christmas Eve I helped package them - we used blue tissue paper that we studded with those silver stars teachers used if your homework or test was a high mark - carefully we wrapped cookies with two butter cookies on top and tied the package with silver tinsel rope - a package for our two neighbors, one for each Aunt and one for each of the nuns that taught my sister and I and one for the principle, Sister Celestine - I got to carefully bring these packages to the convent and to the rectory a package of cookies for Father Albert, the pastor and Father Jordan who was the moderator for the Cadet and Scout mothers and the Alter society that mom was a part of.  Precious pearls could not have been treated with more honor than those cookies - forgot about all that till you mentioned your Mom baking cookies.  

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2014, 02:38:11 AM »
Years ago I had splurged on a rather nice sound system to play CDs. There are 5 trays so that is quite a long spell of music and over the years I have developed a nice collection of Christmas CDs that I bring out in December.

A lot of the classic voices, choirs and show people like Michael Ball and Michael Crawford but best, I love the music from the middle ages that some folks call it all Gregorian Chant - also the early English and Celtic music - not the kind of music that is easy to work with but so haunting - Joan Baez does real justice to the Old English Ballads and Carols and today over and over I just had to listen to a Celtic collection for Advent sung in a Convent in Brittany - the voices, the high notes - ahhh I did nothing but listen and later even had a glass of wine - yep, I am celebrating - had my eye appointment and finally I am out of the woods - it had been an ordeal that had me very cranky and scared but all's well that ends well.

Tomorrow I need to find something with a good beat to it and get something done around here - I still have to wrap the hose bibs so that if we have a freeze while I am gone the pipes won't burst - the cards are not started and that mailbox needs a coat of paint before I hang a wreathe around it - it is an old rural mailbox that we used before we had house to house deliver that I simply moved up next to the front porch and a couple of years ago I spray painted it with that copper paint - I like the effect but it looks sad and needs a sprucing up. Haven't put up any lights in years - a wreathe or big bow on the mail box and a wreathe on the front door is what I prefer over all the lights. With the deer hanging out on my front lawn low key seems appropriate.  

bellamarie

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2014, 01:45:15 PM »
Oh how I am enjoying all of these wonderful Christmas stories and memories.  
Becki, you made me laugh out loud, telling of the various meals gone wrong.  
Venia, your trips to the tree farm sound like a Norman Rockwell painting come to life!  
Pam, isn't it wonderful to be the spiritual light during such a Christian filled time of the year.
JoanK., Oh dear, figuring out the time slots when another family has to be taken into consideration is so difficult.  My grand daughter is dating, and so here we are once again trying to slot out times, to hopefully include him.
Barb, I'm with you, I too have a five disc cd player, and I love Christmas music.  Only I have to admit, I have made myself a mixed cd of all the new renditions of Christmas songs, by pop and country artists. I love and enjoy these tunes so much, along with the old time favorites, and I made copies so I can listen to them in my car.  

After reading The Gift, it inspired me to write my very own true story of a Christmas long ago.  Since we are in the season of sharing, I will share this with all of you.  I am a published writer of poems, and have a children's Christmas story I wrote, and had my granddaughter illustrate for me that is about to be submitted for publishing.  It is a long time coming and my confidence has held me back from submitting it sooner, although I have promised my granddaughter we will see it in print one day, one way or another.  But...this story I am going to share today is not that one.  So, be merciful when you read it, since it is a rough draft, and the first time I am sharing it with anyone other than loving family members.

A Christmas Long Ago  by: Annabella Marie Patterfritz Reinhart

I'll tell you a story, Annabella said, about a Christmas long ago….when I was a little girl, around the age of three years old.  I lived in a tiny three bedroom house my Daddy built from scraps of wood he could beg, borrow or steal, and railroad ties along the tracks, and other materials he could come by for free or cheap.  Our tiny home was in a very small rural town of Monroe, in the countryside, with fields covered in snow.  We had acres of land, yet a wee small house, that was home to me, my five sisters, my brother, my mother and stepfather, (after my Daddy was killed in a train accident.)   We were very poor, with very little to eat at mealtime.  We ate lots of potatoes and rice dishes to fill the hunger in our stomachs.  We had very few toys to play with, since the only time we ever received any toys was at Christmas time. Each of us girls would get a new doll, and sometimes a tea set.  So throughout the year my sisters and I would cut out any woman, man or child picture from newspapers or catalogs, to use as paper dolls.  It would be the most fun times, especially if we could get our hands on a furniture catalog, which would allow us to have paper rooms of furniture.  

In our very tiny house there was one bedroom on the main floor where my parents slept.  Upstairs there were two open rooms, with slanted ceilings, and no doors, just an archway to separate the rooms.  There were the seven of us siblings, sharing beds together in these two rooms.  In the back bedroom there was a floor vent for the heat to rise up and keep us warm.  We could look down through the grill vent and see into our tiny living room.

One Christmas Eve night we were all fast asleep.   I’m not sure who heard the bells first, and who woke who up from their sleep, but we all crept silently to the vent in the floor, to peek down into the living room to see what was going on.  The clanging of bells, we recognized as Santa sleigh bells that had awoken us, was still making their jingling noise.  As we peered down into the vent, we saw the front door open.  At first we saw a huge white Christmas box with green holly and red berries on it, being carried into the living room.  Then we saw these big black, shiny boots, and red velvet pant legs with white furry cuffs, walk into the room.  We all looked at each other in great surprise.   Then very softly we heard Santa say to our parents, “Ho! Ho! Ho! You all have a Merry Christmas!”

We scampered back to our beds, our eyes so wide awake and in wonder at what we had just seen.  We whispered; go back to sleep so Santa will not know we saw him.  After all, we had heard the lyrics in the song enough times to know…….”You better watch out, you better not cry, you better not pout, I'm telling you why, Santa Claus is coming to town.  He sees you when you're sleeping, he knows if you're awake, he knows if you've been bad or good, so be good for goodness sake.”

We fell back to sleep, woke up on Christmas morning to beautifully wrapped presents underneath our Christmas tree, stockings filled with candy, nuts and fruit, gifts for all, and at dinnertime, a feast for plenty to eat.  As children who grew up in a very poor family, we had no doubt in our hearts; there truly is a Santa Claus.  

Years later, one Christmas Eve night, when I was eight years old, sleeping in my bed in the bigger house we purchased, next door to the very tiny one my Daddy built, my oldest sister and her boyfriend awoke me in the middle of the night with their voices in our hall attic, saying, “Shhhh…. be quiet, don't drop the dolls, you don't want to wake them, or they will know there really is no Santa.”  I lay there in my bed, silent, not wanting to make a move so; they would not know I had overheard them.  I had tears in my eyes, and pain in my heart after hearing those words.  I never told anyone about that night because no matter what I know I heard, I know the night I saw Santa through my bedroom floor vent was all the proof I needed, and I would not allow anyone to take that belief away from me.  

Today, as a grandmother to six beautiful grandchildren, I see the joy and wonder in their small eyes each year as they help us put up our Christmas tree, bake cookies with us, and go to our annual Children’s Wonderland, where they visit Santa, to tell him what they want for Christmas, and I know in my heart…..Yes, Annabella, there really is a Santa Claus.  Santa is not just a person; Santa is a spirit, a feeling of love, joy, laughter spread all over the world this time of year.  Santa is a gift we give to each other, and to ourselves, because believing in the miracle of Christmas is what makes it so magical.  

And yes, the Salvation Army who delivers to the needy, food, presents, and stockings, in white Christmas boxes with green holly and red berries, ringing sleigh bells and dressing up as Santa on Christmas Eve night, is indeed the spirit, the true gift of Christmas.

Now, we have an Elf on the Shelf named Annabella, who brings Christmas joy throughout our Advent season, reminding our grandchildren……You better watch out, you better not cry, you better not pout, I’m telling you why, Santa Claus is coming to town!
[/i](Lyrics by Haven Gillespie)

Another song comes to mind now that I am older; it is Josh Groban’s song,  
Believe:
Believe in what your heart is saying
Hear the melody that's playing
There's no time to waste
There's so much to celebrate
Believe in what you feel inside
And give your dreams the wings to fly
You have everything you need…………………….. If you just believe.

“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

Kenneth

• -
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2014, 03:14:06 PM »
I am new here and have never been part of an on-line discussion group before, so please forgive me if my contribution is a bit clumsy. 

My wife and I have a tradition of watching A Christmas Carol on the Friday night following Thanksgiving.  This is the 1984, George C. Scott version which is our favorite of all the movie versions.  We started this when we moved to Germany some 30 years ago and will continue it when we move to the States this coming year.  We liked the idea of keeping the spirit of Christmas all year round and so whenever we travel or go to fests we are always on the lookout for Christmas presents that will mean something both to us and to our families.  It is a nice way of keeping them close when we are far away.  It also helps us from avoid the Christmas rush :) .

Frybabe

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2014, 03:32:44 PM »
Oh, Bellamarie, what a wonderful story. My Mom was also from a large (nine children), poor family. She always said if it hadn't been for the Salvation Army, they may not have survived. I've never forgotten that. They are one of the few charities I contribute to.

I see some new people here. Welcome, Venia. Kenneth, Pam and Becky I remember from the intro discussion. I am so glad you are joining us in this discussion. I hope you find your way to more.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2014, 04:06:01 PM »
Kenneth, there's no such thing as clumsy here.  It's just a bunch of friends chatting, and we're glad to welcome you as a friend.

nlhome

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2014, 04:16:24 PM »
Wow, what great stories. It's so pleasant to stop in here for a few minutes.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2014, 04:30:09 PM »
What a great group of friends, new and old we have here. WELCOME WELCOME!

PAM55: I have the same split in my family. And it works: we all respect each other's beliefs, and never try to convert each other.

BECKIC: your sister needs the cookbook written by my son-in-law: "Help My Apartment Has a Kitchen Cookbook." It starts with the same story you just told: as a college student, he realized he was broke from eating out and asked his mother to send him some recipes. She sent him one for roast chicken, but forgot to tell him that he had to take the bag full of giblets out of the chicken before roasting it....

They wound up writing this cookbook together: she sent him recipes and he tried them and wrote about it. It's very funny. (and wound up a best seller).

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2014, 05:00:51 PM »
Kenneth please please pleeeaaaassse tell us some about Christmas in Germany when you were young - where in Germany did you live?

JoanK is that the name of the book - I need to look for it although, it appears the grands seem to have a handle on cooking for some unknown reason - my daughter cooks because she has to but she does make a mean pie with a crust to die for - and my daughter-in-law barbecues everything - I do not think she even knows how to turn on her oven - no wait - she makes brownies and veggies are anything that can be added to a salad and yet, her oldest is quite the cook at age 24 and my daughter's oldest gets fresh everything, never going to a frozen food dinner or canned anything. Interesting how it skipped a generation.

Frybabe it is not easy going past a bellringing Salvation Army rep is it - they have helped so many - and it sounds like you are grateful they were around when you and your family needed that boost.

Not sure Bellamarie if it was a true story or a made up story but it showed the courage and fortitude that folks have when life is hard. I think there are so many who as depression babies can see bits of their life in your story.

It is one of those funny days - overcast, looking for all the world like a cold winter's day and yet, it is just hitting 70 - hadn't realized till I noticed the hot air heat was not coming on. Did a dumb thing - decided to dust with one of those new dusters that I had used a few times, so I thought I would refresh it with a spray of furniture polish and while dusting the CD cases a couple of CDs were out of their case and got smeared with the polish - well, I learned I can clean them but it requires distilled water and lo and behold you can make distilled water - now lets see if this works - it says to soak the CD in half and half alcohol and distilled water - we shall see...

bellamarie

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2014, 05:53:30 PM »
Yes, Barb, it is a true story about my youth, and thank goodness we have so many generous people who open their hearts to give to the Salvation Army, so families like mine and Frybabe's mother's could have a Merry Christmas!

Welcome Kenneth, we are so very happy to have you!  We all fumble around in here from time to time, so don't give it a second thought.  My husband began collecting the Dicken's Village Dept. 56 over thirty years ago.  We absolutely love the story A Christmas Carol.  All of our grandchildren can not resist touching the buildings and figurines that we set up each year.  They especially love the ski hill and the skating pond that is animated.  I am almost certain our little grandson Zakary who is now six years old will inherit this village since he is the one who MUST help put it up each year.  Traditions are what makes the holidays so much more special.

Steph

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2014, 09:01:42 AM »
Just found a few moments to almost catch up here, but need to read the stories. Time for me is an enemy this year and with my new rescue corgi taking up lots of time. ( she is spooky and timid), so she is coming first.. I have some things in the garage to set up for Christmas, but truth would be that I am not here for the holiday but at a sons. Since my husband died, I have had little heart for decorations. He loved the holiday and would decorate anything in the house.. So I have lovely memories of finding ornaments in the strangest places.. but doing it alone does not feel quite right. I know I will find a happy medium someday, but not sure when.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2014, 04:19:49 PM »
BARB: "JoanK is that the name of the book" Yes. It's by Nancy Mills and Kevin mills.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2014, 04:35:14 PM »
Thanks JoanK - another mournful day with overcast skies - did have some good news while registering for a class found out I have more than enough credits to renew and one of the classes I was registering for I do not need -  hurrah - more time to get other things done.

I was up to my friends last night for our weekly dinner and her daughter had come in from Alvin, small town south of Houston, together they completely decorated the house with outside lights and lighted wreathe, inside table top tree, little mechanical singing devices all over the house and a new angle that lights in changing colors for the hutch. We spent time as she showed me so many of the ornaments she or Bill her deceased husband had made and ornaments from her childhood as well as from her children's childhood - it was a trip down memory lane and then we have to each year admire the beautiful manger scene of larger than usual ceramic figures all fired and painted by her sister years ago. Her daughter even had about a foot tall Santa tucked in the trunk of a tree near the bird bath - fun.

We have broken from our usual reading topic and we are reading a novel about an Amish community where the women are quilt makers - the romantic complications and handling life's experiences that do not fit the expectations of the more conservative members of the community is the theme but what blew me away - a young man, a woodworker only 24 years old who finishes an order of table, 8 chairs and a hutch - to be that skilled at any age but at age 24 - wow.

BeckiC

« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2014, 10:27:11 PM »
JoanK--I will be looking for that book. Thank you so much for mentioning it. So I take it your daughter has a husband who knows how to cook! Oh how I envy her. Perhaps the cookbook will be under my own tree this year. And then I can only hope for a little Christmas magic.

Frybaby..I was enjoying the book discussion on the The Atomic City Girls with you, Joan, Barb, Bellamarie and others but then this really fun, challenging Latin class began and well that was the end of leisure reading for me. Lol. I am happy to report, although I was sorry to leave the discussion, I am thoroughly enjoying learning Latin.

bellamarie-the Salvation Army...of course. They do seem to be the one organization that consistently "shows up." What a special memory for you. It touched me deeply reading your story.

Happy Holidays to everyone.

Steph

« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2014, 08:32:07 AM »
Almost all amish women are quilters. They really have to be, since buying blankets is unheard of and whenI was growing up, I can remember that Amish girls would be building a trousseau of quilts, embroidered things, etc. Hope chest, I would guess.
Stephanie and assorted corgi