Author Topic: December Holiday Open House  (Read 28090 times)

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
Re: December Holiday Open House
« Reply #120 on: December 31, 2014, 12:06:39 PM »
December ~ Holiday Open House

Come celebrate the holidays with us...

- Our Discussion Leaders have shared two favorite short stories in the spirit of the season - as is custom this time of the year.  You may notice these stories seem to center on warm memories of home and family. 

Do they match your mood this time of year?

Let's share precious - and humorous memories of days gone by!

December 1-7: The Gift (Ray Bradbury)

December 8-14: The Gift of the Magi (O'Henry)

---What memories of gifts given or received stand out in your mind?
--- Is there something you received long ago that you still treasure?
---What's the best gift you ever received and why is it the best?

And the winner is.... (or are)......

Congratulations to:

Salan and

Jonathan

the winners of our 2014 Raffle!!

Enjoy your gift certificates!

December 15-31: And what is a holiday without good food! 

---What is a "must have" on your table at the holidays?
---Do you make any special cookies or candies for a holiday treat for family and friends?

And since we can't send you special fudge and cookies, our treats to you are links to some additional online Christmas stories you might enjoy as your time permits:

Pepin's Lord of Misrule - A Medieval Christmas  (Denis Domning)

The Burglar's Christmas  (young Willa Cather)

T'is the Season (China Miéville)

All Seated on the Ground (Connie Willis)

Happy Holidays, everyone
Your SeniorLearn DLs
!

And if Jonathan means the knee length or ankle length "bloomers," then Cuddle Duds makes those in "winter strength" that are wonderful under jeans or slacks when it's -10 degrees.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #121 on: December 31, 2014, 12:23:09 PM »
I was thinking that Jonathan was talking about what we called "Snuggies," but "Cuddle Duds" sounds like a better name.

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #122 on: December 31, 2014, 12:24:11 PM »
It's a brand name

www.CuddlDuds.com

that those of us in cold climates know and love---esp. as we...uh... mature!   ::)

Kenneth

• -
« Reply #123 on: December 31, 2014, 01:01:20 PM »
Happy New Year!  I wish you all a happy, healthy, and prosperous new year. 

Jane - I hope the term "mature" does not imply growing up. :)

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #124 on: December 31, 2014, 04:09:12 PM »
STEPH "I have been catching up and decided to start a new tradition for me. Checking out underwear"

You had me worried, until I realized you meant your OWN underwear. Whew! ??? :D

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #125 on: December 31, 2014, 04:10:56 PM »
d New Years consists of getting together with the kids and grandkids to work a jigsaw puzzle together. We do it every year.

Steph

« Reply #126 on: January 01, 2015, 09:20:55 AM »
JoanK.. Oh me, you made me laugh.. The only underwear except mine that I seem to get exposed to is my granddaughters..She  wants me to wear updated underwear and dislikes my granny panties. I tell her I am a Granny and she then reminds me of her sizes and tells me of the latest stuff. She manages to score new stuff from me at least once a year that way.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

nlhome

« Reply #127 on: January 01, 2015, 11:14:25 AM »
Happy New Year, everyone.

We rang in the new year last night by playing Quiddler.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #128 on: January 01, 2015, 12:15:50 PM »
Its just Hanes cotton undies for me that I replenish by having a dozen sent to my daughters and what I do not use since she does have a washing machine  ;) are still rolled nice and tight so they come home in my luggage to replace the worst of what is home and a new Wolcoal bra each year that replaces one of my collection and that is it - recently took all my slips and barely worn camisoles to a used store near campus where the girst buy them up for summer outer clothes. Still have a few half slips but I can count on one hand the number of times I wear a skirt any longer.  Tshirts and slax with long sleeved silk shirts rolled at the wrist seem to be my go to clothes even for evening events with silk pants and the jewelry sets the occasion. Around here in winter it is gym pants and in summer it is what we used to call claim diggers or some denims all worn with an array of colorful Tshirts and in winter a long sleeved shirt over the Tshirt.

I still have some really nice Geiger skirts and jackets that i have not worn now in a few years - not ready yet to donate but I did get rid of so many blouses and all my suits including my tan suede leather blazer. Got rid of all my high heels but still have about 4 pair of mid heels that I will probably never wear and should just get rid of them.

What did you think of the women in the orchestra playing Gershwin at Lincoln Center last night? Frankly I was uncomfortable with some of the cleavage - took away from enjoying the music - I would have preferred to see them in little lace tops or chiffon tops - there were a few not as daring and I realized I could concentrate on the music rather than checking out how they looked and how the dress was cut or how their upper arms looked.

Well tonight it will be the other extreme I do not think there are any women yet, in the Vienna Philharmonic orchestra - the only women in the performance will be the ballet dancers.

We are not near as cold as most of you but I am sure pleased that this deep freeze is happening today with no expectations to do anything more than turn on a football game or listen to music and raid the refrigerator - my second pot of coffee - my pot makes 3 cups - for some reason I am really excited this  year about starting a few projects and checking them off - so I am refining the tasks to accomplish my projects - all these books and gurus that say eat the frog first - in other words start with the biggest badest on your list - humbug I am finding I get more done when I purposely start with the easiest shortest task and that accomplishment makes me feel I can conquer the world so seamlessly I go forward and get things done. I like the feeling and I need to look for an easy to do  today. I hope y'all have a great New Year and achieve your dreams this year...!
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #129 on: January 01, 2015, 12:50:36 PM »
Thank you, everyone, for your participation in this discussion. We're looking forward to a great new year of book discussions!! The Boys in the Boat is our featured discussion for January. See http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=4551.0

Coming in February: The Lady of Shalott at http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?board=193.0