Author Topic: December Holiday Open House  (Read 28099 times)

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
Re: December Holiday Open House
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2014, 04:31:48 PM »
December ~ Holiday Open House

Come celebrate the holidays with us...

- Our Discussion Leaders have shared two favorite short stories in the spirit of the season - as is custom this time of the year.  You may notice these stories seem to center on warm memories of home and family.  

Do they match your mood this time of year?

Let's share precious - and humorous memories of days gone by!

December 1-7: The Gift (Ray Bradbury)

December 8-14: The Gift of the Magi (O'Henry)

---What memories of gifts given or received stand out in your mind?
--- Is there something you received long ago that you still treasure?
---What's the best gift you ever received and why is it the best?

Feeling lucky?  All participants posting in this discussion will automatically be  entered in a drawing to win a $15 gift certificate to either Barnes and Noble or Amazon, your choice.  Simply post here and enjoy the discussion. Two contest winners will be selected randomly and announced on December 21. Two prizes will be awarded of $15 each!  Winners will be emailed (at the email address you provided on this website) to obtain contact information in order to award the prize.

December 15-31: And what is a holiday without good food!  

---What is a "must have" on your table at the holidays?
---Do you make any special cookies or candies for a holiday treat for family and friends?

And since we can't send you special fudge and cookies, our treats to you are links to some additional online Christmas stories you might enjoy as your time permits:

Pepin's Lord of Misrule - A Medieval Christmas   (Denis Domning)

The Burglar's Christmas  (young Willa Cather)

T'is the Season (China Miéville)

All Seated on the Ground (Connie Willis)

Happy Holidays, everyone
Your SeniorLearn DLs
!

“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2014, 04:48:30 PM »
  ;D.  I love it!

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2014, 06:31:53 PM »
A joke about what happened to me.  Just pet him and give him a treat and next time nail attach your tree to the wall with wiring coming from the ceiling.  Hahahaha!  I love it, too, Jane.
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

Steph

« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2014, 08:36:42 AM »
saw it on facebook yesterday and loved it. Many years ago when we had cats, they took our tree down, so ever after, we too fastened it in several places to walls andceilings.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2014, 02:02:04 PM »
A fainting tree -- Wonderful, I love it.

Welcome to our new friends -- Kenneth, Pam, and BeckiC.  So glad you're here -- and everyone else too.  Talking about the season is FUN.

Barb. what is the book you and your friends are reading?  I've been searching Amazon for Amish Quilters and there are lots to choose from.  Several Amish Christmas books.  There's an author on the tip of my tongue, but I can't get it up.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2014, 04:38:11 PM »
Pedln it is just a light bit of fluff that is predictable but her books have enough unexpected events that ultimately teach a loving message - I say she because we had read one other of her Amish quilt books and she is one of the three authors listed for this one - I wonder how three gals get together and author one book - hmmm interesting I wonder how they do that.  

Any how here is the book we are reading
An Amish Christmas Quilt by Charlotte Hubbard (Author), Kelly Long (Author), Jennifer Beckstrand (Author)

And it is Jennifer Beckstrand who we had read - probably will not finish this one before Christmas since I leave here on the 16th so we only have this coming Wednesday night to read. On a good night we may get three chapters but we are inclined towards one long or two.

Finally the sun is out - I was going to do all this Christmas enjoyment type stuff today - The old German School is having its annual Market where they bring in everything they sell from Germany and the Texas Capitol lights its tree with a sing-a-long on the Capitol steps and the Old Bakery is having special Christmas cookies with a place set aside for Children to decorate their cookie and come back later after they are baked - and all the Congress Ave (the main street that leads up to the Capitol) is a strolling area with these tent like canopies that include the farmer's Market along with special one of a kind type art goods and handmade toys and local made pinatas of course so many of our local musicians will be playing on street corners.  

Sounds great but the sun is finally out and I really want to cross all these things to do off my list - Found more linens I forgot I had that need ironing and packed in tissue with notes about them - I am determined to get everything in this house sorted, cleaned, packed, given away, labeled, inventoried, who made what and where things came from - on and on - once that is done I will feel I can relax and take in where as now I have all the "in" I can handle.

“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Steph

« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2014, 09:14:06 AM »
Saw a play yesterday.. Christmas by Committee, a musical writtenby a local. OK.. not great, but not run screaming from the room either.. Still it was nice to get out with the widows group and then we split up and had dinner in several of the local restaurants.. Fun

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2014, 03:25:00 PM »
Steph do you attend any of the High School productions - all of a sudden all the High Schools in this area have Choral groups that are singing all over town for one thing or another and for several years now one of the older High Schools, in fact the one my children attended, has become a school for music, drama, dance and art - I just have never attended any of their performances and I think I will this year. Going to a high school to enjoy something alone does not feel daunting, it is easy to chat with those in the seat next to you, they are usually family or friends of someone teen performing.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2014, 04:20:05 PM »
Just what we need today if it is as cold and overcast where you are as it is here today...!

Frybabe

« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2014, 05:23:15 PM »
I just got my Christmas music out today. There is a lot more now that I have Mom's to listen to. There is even one in there that still has its wrapper.

salan

« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2014, 05:39:25 AM »
The most memorable Christmas was the one where I received a doll bed, built & painted Pink by my father.  My mother made a quilt and a little pillow to go on the bed.  There was a small inexpensive baby doll in the bed.  I found out much later that my parents were worried because they didn't have much money & were afraid that I would be disappointed.  I can still see that doll's bed in my mind's eye.  As times changed & money became more plentiful, I received many gifts; but none as memorable as that one!

Sally

Steph

« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2014, 09:02:41 AM »
Our high schools locally seem to have a lot of music going on and a lot of smaller groups who also entertain. Our womans club has used some of the small groups as entertainment and loved it. I am told that one local high school puts on a spectacular musical once a year.. Have never gone.. I guess I am a snob about some forms of entertainment.. I wont do local opera or ballet.. Trying is not good enough for those disciplines.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2014, 09:42:28 AM »
Sally....what a wonderful memory of your parents giving you the gifts you treasured and their worry you'd be disappointed.  

Steph....in this area The Show Choirs are a big deal at the high school level.  The music depts seem to focus a lot on public performances, esp. In the spring.  Then they do big productions as well....Shrek one year, etc.

bellamarie

« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2014, 11:35:29 AM »
This time of year I love reading short stories about Christmas.  On my ipad I click my ibook,  then click, store and type in free Christmas books, and there are tons of them!  Just finished a nice one called "A Family For Christmas" by Mona Ingram.  A feel good story.  I also found a four in one book of Christmas stories at my Dollar store.  

Just finished reading The Gift of the Magi.  I thought it was so thoughtful of each of them to give up something they cherished in order to give a gift to one another.  It's sweet Jm bought Della the hair clips, and yes, her hair will grow back again and they will look beautiful in her hair.  But, it seems a bit sad, even though Della gave Jim the chain for his treasured watch, he will never be able to reclaim that particular one from generations passed on. 

This story reminded me of the other day when I was glancing at friends/family Christmas decorations in pictures posted on my Facebook.  Everyone was excited to share their pictures after decorating and getting their tree up.  I glanced at the different ways people decorate and the things they collect along the years, and have kept from generations passed down.  I felt a little sad, realizing I have so little from my mother or my husband's mother to treasure.  Then I look around and see all the wonderful collections my husband and I have personally been collecting for forty plus years, me I love dolls, so I have many Ashton Drake series such as "The Beautiful Dreamers, "Little Women" and the "Princess Diana" collection, along with misc. other dolls, and then I have a collection of Precious Moments that are so very special, along with a collection of "Guardian Angels Who Watch Over me" porcelain figurines that have an angel with a little girl from the time she is a baby up til she is eighteen yrs. old.  Then my husband has been collecting the Dept 56 Dickens village A Christmas Carol, and nutcrackers.  How do you decide, or do you decide, who will eventually own these items.  My only daughter has no desire for anything collectible, and she has no children, so I suppose I will specify my dolls and figurines go to my grand daughters.  So, I imagine the nutcrackers and village will go to the grandsons.  I just wonder if they will mean as much to them as they have to us?  Would they sell any of these precious items for something they would want to use the money for someone special, as Jim did with his watch?   Should family members save heirlooms?  Does this generation today even care about family items passed down?  It just makes me wonder.......
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2014, 11:51:24 AM »
Look, idn't he cute...

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2014, 12:39:43 PM »
Haven't read A Family for Christmas Bellamarie but I am with you enjoying short stories with a Christmas theme this time of year. I especially like some of the classics meant for children - just have to read Paddington Bear and Baboushka and the Three Kings. Miss Read is another favorite who has three Christmas stories with The Christmas Mouse being my favorite. When I was a child and then when I had children we always spent a long afternoon in the library loading up on Christmas books, our treat looked forward to before bed or as a special late afternoon after choirs were done.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2014, 03:44:20 PM »
Barb, did you know that Paddington is coming out in a new movie for Christmas?  I think Colin Firth is either narrating or is P's voice.  The trailer is fun.

This discussion of Christmas stories brings lots of memories.  I'm looking for a Christmas Mouse, but not the one by Miss Read.  This is a chocolate one and it belongs to a poor little girl who go it instead of a dolll.  It was in Ideals Magazine, years ago.  I loved Ideals magazine.  I guess they're out of print now,  or not what they used to be.  I don't know how we got them.  Somebody must have given them to us. That's where I first saw Eugene Fields '" Jest before Christmas" --   Father calls me Wiliam,  Sister calls me Will, Mother calls me Willie, but the fellers call me Bill.

One book I remember very vaguely as a much-loved book was Scamper's Christmas.  It was my older brother's book.  Scamper was a bunny who lived in the WHite House -- an appropriate title for a little DC boy --  created by Anna Roosevelt Dall. (Who was Buzzy Dall?)  I think my 80-something brother still has that book, along with his Madeleine Brandeis books which I also loved -- and tried to claim.

Does anyone remember The Story of the Little Match Girl?  And another from this book of Christmas stories that I"m sure is long-gone -- about a statue, a prince, who had lost his eyes and suffered many indignities, as statues are prone to do?

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2014, 04:55:06 PM »
I think my daughter will treasure things passed down -- my son less so. Especially the things she remembers from her childhood.

My mother collected family letters that had been passed down, typed them up and had them printed. One set from my great-great grandfather who was in the California gold rush. Since we've moved to California, my grandchildren are now reading them, six generations later.

bellamarie

« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2014, 05:28:12 PM »
JoanK., six generations of special family letters.  Now that is something to treasure!  I saw a post from a friend today on Facebook who has only one little son, and his wish this year for Christmas is to have a conversation with his father's Dad, his grandfather who passed away years before Chase was born.  Can you imagine if his Dad had generations of letters, he could sit down and share with his little son.  

Barb, I absolutely LOVE Paddington bear!  I saw previews of the upcoming movie to be released and I can't wait to see it with my grandchildren.  I have the children's story Santa Mouse.  Just read it to the daycare children the other day.  It so cute!

I just love the memories we make at Christmas!  This artist is one of my favorite.

“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

salan

« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2014, 05:38:19 AM »
When my daughter got married l7 yrs ago.  I started her a cookbook with all the recipes for family traditional foods served on various holidays.  She still uses the cornbread dressing, giblet gravy, and pumpkin pie recipes for Thanksgiving & Christmas (yes, we repeated the basic meal on both holidays, with changes in sides & many more desserts for Christmas).  She has also added some of her own recipes & family favorites to the cookbook.  She has pretty much taken over the cooking on those two holidays.  I make my grandson's favorite pumpkin/cranberry bread.  So far, I still do the Easter dinner (with their help, of course).
     I have to smile when I see her take out that cookbook!
Sally

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2014, 04:06:24 PM »
What a wonderful idea. And it can be passed down through the generations (assuming our great-great...s are still eating food, and not scientific tablets or something)..

Steph

« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2014, 01:38:32 PM »
I decorate so little now.. No husband andnot here for
Christmas makes me do only a few things..

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2014, 01:49:20 PM »
Been meeting  myself coming for the past few days - no time even now but just a quick Hi, - leave for my daughter's on Tuesday and my son and daughter-in-law come up tomorrow and still have tons to do...

Steph like you I do not do the kind of decoration that I did at one time - this year I was feeling the need for something and pulled down all the old and saved advent calendars that I had placed all over the house and I did at least get something on the mail box and on the front door - whoops forgot gotta stop the mail - putting it on my list -

Till later next week - spread your gratitude that leads to Joy...  :-*

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2014, 02:25:44 PM »
Because we leave here for Christmas in Ohio and then south until March, I put out only a few snowmen, the ceramic tree my Mother made, and a small lighted Christmas village.  I know many think the ceramic trees are "tacky," but I see my Mom everytime I look at it.  

I used to put candles in 20 some windows of this old house, we put garland and bows on the white fence, etc.  Lovely memories, but they don't work for us now.

Steph

« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2014, 09:31:11 AM »
I have a small deer lighted in silver that I will put on my porch today.That is it for outside.. inside, my little fibreoptic tree with teeny little ornaments an a dozen of the led candlelights. and a bunch of angels for my table. My new rescue corgi is a bit wary of all this. She seems to be the type of dog, who does not like change..

nlhome

« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2014, 03:28:54 PM »
So I requested "In the Dark Streets Shineth" (as told by David McCullough from interlibrary loan, and I read that short little book and looked at the pictures. In a pocket on the inside cover was the DVD of the story narrated by Mr. McCullough with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir singing O Little Town of Bethlehem and I'll Be Home for Christmas, and a lot more WWII pictures.

So I spent a pleasant bit of time on this dreary, foggy day. Some of the pictures reminded me much of pictures of my parents during that time.

We put up a few decorations outside, including some very old ice skates and a lighted wreath tied to my old wood sled with a red ribbon. Inside we got out the Christmas mugs and napkins, but as we're traveling at Christmas, not much else.

The guest room, on the other hand, looks a "lot like Christmas" as it's piled with wrapping paper, gift bags, wrapped and unwrapped gifts and the usual chaos that is preparation for getting together with family.

Frybabe

« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2014, 04:43:30 PM »
My next door neighbor just put up a new outdoor decoration. I'm sitting here with the drapes open and I didn't even see it until it was up. It is one of those inflatables - a Dinosaur with a santa hat on and a present in his mouth. I see something purple at his feet, but I can't make out what it is from here.

Giminids are4 tonight, but as usual with such an event, we are cloudy. It was supposed tp be sunny today. Never happened.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2014, 04:51:51 PM »
FRY: so you're a stargazer like PatH? Here in the LA suburbs, we're lucky if we see one star, with all the light pollution.

NLHOME:  I don't know the story: it sound like a good. one. Is it by McCollough?

nlhome

« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2014, 04:58:39 PM »
Joan, it's McCullough telling the story of Christmas 1941, when Winston Churchill came to the U.S.  and spent Christmas Eve and Christmas Day with the Roosevelts, along with the story of the writing of O Little Town of Bethlehem and then the story of I'll be Home for Christmas. He tied them up by using words from Churchill's address to Americans about each home being a "brightly lighted island" and then the words from the carol "in the dark streets shineth" which Churchill apparently heard for the first time that Christmas.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2014, 05:00:19 PM »
That's interesting!

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2014, 07:47:59 PM »
Frybabe, thanks for the reminder, though it's cloudy here too.

Nlhome, your mention of Christmas with the Roosevelts reminds me of the Christmas Eve ritual when I was little.  We decorated the tree in the afternoon.  In the evening, we turned on the radio and waited for president Roosevelt to light his tree.  (I don't remember what else was on the program, news, or Christmas carols, or what, but they did announce the moment he lit the tree.)  We would light our tree at that time.  Then we would put on a record (78 rpm of course) of Madame Schumann-Heink singing Silent Night (in German, so it was Stille Nacht).  We might play the flip side (Weinachten) or other records, and then we would open our presents.  Yes, not waiting until morning, but my parents got to sleep late, and of course it seems normal to me.

Here's a 1911 record of Schumann-Heink singing Stille Nacht.  I'm guessing we had a later recording, since she made a Christmas ritual of singing it on the radio up through 1935.  She died in 1936, in time to avoid being axed for being half Jewish.

In retrospect, I wonder why we coordinated with Roosevelt in tree-lighting, since my mother was definitely not an admirer of him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_IpWSR_E6c

Frybabe

« Reply #71 on: December 14, 2014, 07:33:57 AM »
Rooting around for free books again, I discovered The Man Who Invented Christmas: How Charles Dickens's A Christmas Carol Rescued His Career and Revived Our Holiday Spirits by Les Standiford (not free unless you find it in your library). Overdrive has it, but I am on hold, so I also ordered it from my library. It's a race to see which comes first.

Steph

« Reply #72 on: December 14, 2014, 09:22:06 AM »
My parents decorated our tree on Christmas eve after I had gone to bed, when young.. I would see Dad bring in the tree that afternoon and was told that the elves came and decorated. I must have been about 14 or so before I got included in the decorating..

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #73 on: December 14, 2014, 10:55:23 AM »
No fair--decorating it is half the fun.

During WWII you couldn't buy icicles (they were made of metal foil) so we would carefully save them from year to year.  Each year they would be more ragged and fewer in number.

nlhome

« Reply #74 on: December 14, 2014, 12:45:09 PM »
I wonder, Pat, if your mother didn't like President Roosevelt, but he was the President, and it was a national event on radio, so maybe she felt she was joining with others across the country in celebrating the holiday. That was a theme in that little book.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #75 on: December 14, 2014, 12:54:44 PM »
We also had the elves decorating the tree and preparing Christmas for the entire month of Advent that we kept which included, giving up a candy or muffins or something usually sweet as well as, doing an extra household task each day that often was listed when we opened the window on the Advent Calendar like, shine the shoes for the family, or set the table for supper - These were commercial Advent Calendars usually written in German and so it was not just our family that participated.  

But back to the tree - we never even saw it enter the house but Christmas morning when we awoke we were to stay in our bed and call out Marry Christmas - our stocking was always left at the foot of our bed that always included a tangerine and a cookie loaded with dried fruit. Eating those gave my parents another half hour as we played with some small toy included because, like ourselves (we carried on the same tradition) we adults never got to bed till at least 3: in the morning and a couple of times I remember it was 5: with children calling out Merry Christmas by 6:30 and then our parents came and got us, taking us by the hand to the room that had been closed off all month and there lit in all its glory was the Tree with the Bethlehem scene below - as children I remember just looking and being stunned with the smell and sight of that tree. We could hardly open our gifts gazing at that tree till we had our fill and it was often mom who would encourage us to open our gifts.

For our own children the gazing spell was broken when I brought in a mug of coffee for their Dad and myself - and another difference was, I had the table set with the best china and special Christmas cups - it all looked very festive and we had a lovely sit down breakfast before going to Mass at noon where as, when I was small we had to hurry to get to 10: Mass which was the one time each year my Dad joined us - he was German Lutheran and when he went to service he joined my Aunt in their church while we attended the Catholic church.

Later, when I was in 7th and 8th grade I sang in the choir for midnight mass and mom always made me a special dress for the occasion - still the Christmas room was closed off till I was in Bed. Only when I was in high school and Mom and I went to midnight mass together did I help then, my sister started a year later when she was only in 8th grade to accompany us - since we had to fast in those years before receiving Communion when we got home mom always fixed BLTs on rye bread and we cut into the Christmas Stollen - we had to be so quite not to wake our young brother and sister. It was a full time with so many rich memories -  

Steph

« Reply #76 on: December 15, 2014, 09:05:16 AM »
I grew up in the Missouri Synod Lutheran church, which is or was very very german.. So much of what Barb speaks of pertained to us as well.. My stocking always had a tangerine ( at that point, they were rare and expensive) and I loved it so very much.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: December 15, 2014, 10:26:34 AM »
It's interesting to read others' Christmas experiences/traditions.  Ours were very different from Barb's or Stephanie's.

Picking out a Christmas tree was a part of all the pre-Christmas hoopla...and then getting it home and opening those boxes of ornaments...and the ever-present paper chains and popsickle ornaments my sister and I had made in our great art careers in elementary school!  Masterpieces, of course.  We would try to talk Mom out of having those faded and worn things on the tree, but she always insisted.  

No presents under the tree in our early years until ol' "Santy Claus" brought them during the night and had left only crumbs, an empty milk glass, and the carrot stubs the reindeer had devoured.

My sister and I awakened each other first, then peeked down the stairs to see if presents were there...and then "awoke" Mom and Dad...who now were already awake...[who wouldn't have been with two squealing little girls bouncing around upstairs.]

Eating coffee cake [only time I remember having it regularly]  as we opened our gifts...to be followed by a big noon time dinner and then visiting grandparents, etc. in the afternoon.

jane

nlhome

« Reply #78 on: December 15, 2014, 10:45:11 AM »
I went to a one-room school in the country, outside a small village (bar, gas station, feed mill, general store/post office) for the first four years. Every year we had a Christmas program, and each of us had a reading, song, poem recitation, in front of the whole community. I can still remember part of my poem from one year, although not enough to find it; and I will never forget listening to one of the older students sing "O Holy Night."  Although we were a public school, the program included the Christmas pageant as well, so we had roles in that. And then parents and other community members would perform and join in a carol sing. At the end, Santa came in with small brown paper bags for each child, and those bags would have hard candy, sometimes nuts in the shell, and an orange.

The Christmas program was held in an auditorium (a big room with a stage) above the general store, up steep and narrow stairs accessed in a door at the side of the building. We would practice for a couple of weeks in our school, then walk almost a mile each way at least once to rehearse on the stage. While we were practicing in the school, while waiting for our parts, we would work on gifts for our parents. My mother kept these, and I now have the fruit bowl made of Popsicle sticks. Another was a metal plate that we etched a design on and then brushed with steel wool, actually very pretty. I have that also.

Then Christmas Eve our large Lutheran church in the nearest town had the children's Christmas pageant, so many children and so many attending that there were two services held in the evening, one for the farmers after milking. Again we sang and some recited verses or poems, ending with Silent Night in German, because this was a German immigrant community. And again Santa with the brown paper bags of treats, and maybe a religious book from our Sunday School teacher. I remember ribbon candy and peanuts, maybe a chocolate or two.

Please excuse how long this is, but once I started I decided I should add more and copy it for my grandchildren. I have a few pictures to add to it for them. Celebrations are different now, but family and friends are still important.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #79 on: December 15, 2014, 11:48:56 AM »
Nlhome, the details are important; it's great to read these different stories.