Author Topic: Boys in the Boat, The~ January Book Club Online  (Read 63926 times)

BooksAdmin

• TopicManager
Boys in the Boat, The~ January Book Club Online
« on: December 30, 2014, 10:28:42 AM »
The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome.

January Book Club Online:

The  Boys in the Boat
by Daniel James Brown

The #1 New York Times–bestselling story about American Olympic triumph in Nazi Germany.

"Out of the depths of the Depression comes an irresistible story about beating the odds and finding hope in the most desperate of times—the improbable, intimate account of how nine working-class boys from the American West showed the world at the 1936 Olympics in Berlin what true grit really meant...

The emotional heart of the tale lies with Joe Rantz, a teenager without family or prospects, who rows not only to regain his shattered self-regard but also to find a real place for himself in the world. Drawing on the boys’ own journals and vivid memories of a once-in-a-lifetime shared dream, Brown has created an unforgettable portrait of an era, a celebration of a remarkable achievement, and a chronicle of one extraordinary young man’s personal quest." - Amazon.com

DISCUSSION SCHEDULE:

PROLOGUE, PART ONE..............................JANUARY  l -  7          
PART TWO...............................................JANUARY  8 - 14
PART THREE............................................JANUARY 15 - 21
PART FOUR Ch. 13-15...............................JANUARY 22 - 28
PART FOUR Ch. 16-end.............................JANUARY  29 - FEBRUARY 4
~

RELEVANT LINKS:
1936 Film of Olympic Rowing

Daniel James Brown Website and Information

Interview With the Author, Daniel James Brown.

Discussion Leaders: Ella & JoanK

Ella Gibbons

Re: Boys in the Boat, The~ January Book Club Online
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 01:02:02 PM »
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

And Welcome to our discussion of THE BOYS IN THE BOAT.  Is everyone here?  Got your books handy?

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 03:28:41 PM »
HOORAY, WE'RE STARTING. WELCOME ALL!

We have a great group here, and I think we'll have a lot of fun, learning about what is, to most of us, a new world. So, even if you haven't finished the reading,  give us your thoughts. There is so much to think about and discuss in this first part.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 04:07:09 PM »
 :)

bluebird24

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 05:30:58 PM »
JoanK, the picture is why I give that webpage.

Here is a different webpage

http://www.hectv.org/video/15118/15118/

bluebird24

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 05:35:14 PM »
Ella, tomorrow will be a good day.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 06:11:52 PM »
BLUEBIRD: that's a good video!

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 10:36:13 PM »
WOW!  What a great video, thanks BLUEBIRD.  When they make the movie they certainly should have the author as a consultant , or write the script.

It's a fascinating book, folks,  and what a good looking group of young men.

DB (our author) talks a lot about Joe Rantz, so tomorrow let's begin our discussion where the book begins  - with Joe.  

In the PROLOGUE, Joe had tears in his eyes, couldn't keep his composure, as he talked about the past.  Why was he crying?  Can you identify with him?

(p.s. Hello JEAN)

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2015, 04:16:30 PM »
HAPPY 2015 EVERYONE.

I cried when I watched Bluebird's video and he talked about meeting Joe Rantz in the last weeks of his life.

There are many great sports stories, but several things give this one extra power. Which of these gives the story most "oomph" for you:

The Depression
The rise of Nazi Germany
The story of a boy who was neglected and abandoned?
The story of a working stiff competing with sons of privilege?

bellamarie

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 06:29:44 PM »
Thank you Bluebird for the amazing video.  I always love being able to put a face to a name, and in this case we get to see DJB's excitement about writing the book, along with seeing these nine boys/men who were actually in the boat.

It's a bit ironic for me, because in the past week I have seen the movie Unbroken, which is of course about Louis Zamperini, an Italian/American who qualifies for the 1936 Olympics in running, and has a lot to deal with WWII torture.

Last night for New Year's Eve, I went to see the movie The Imitation Game, which is about Alan Turing inventing the first computer to crack Nazi codes, including Enigma, which cryptanalysts had thought unbreakable. This too dealing with a triumph and struggles during WWII.

And now, here I am beginning this book, The Boys In The Boat, which takes place during WWII, and again the 36 Olympics.  As DJB said in his interview, "I suspect there are a lot of good stories from the 36 Olympics that might not have been told."

Well, I suspect now that Louis Zamperini, Alan Turing, and Joe Rantz along with the boys in the boat, have done well in print and at the theaters, we will be seeing more of these stories.

JoanK, I don't think I can pick just one from your list.  For me, I think they all give the story "oomph" and intrigues me the reader.

I spent the entire day taking down Christmas decorations, and carefully packing them away for yet another year, in hopes they survive with few breaking.  So, now I am all set and ready to snuggle in with my warm favorite blanket, and dog Sammy, and begin reading the book.  Will check back in tomorrow.

Ciao for now~
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2015, 07:09:19 PM »
Indeed, we're going to be affected by all 4 of Joan's list, but we haven't yet seen Nazi Germany, or much of the class conflict.  The one that really resonates so far is Joe's story.  He isn't just abandoned once, but over and over again, and finally, at 14, is left to survive on his own.  How can you come out of that a whole person?  Where do you find the strength and ingenuity to make your way?

HaroldArnold

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2015, 07:23:21 PM »
I hope to participate in this discussions and now have the book on my nook.   My previous interest in this particular Olympics comes from my previous reading of WW II history particularly the account of surviving Nazi participants such as Albert Speer who Hitler had personally appointed the lead architect  responsible for the staging of this 1936 Olympic games. I think this will be an interesting discussion   

Harold Arnold 

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2015, 07:55:32 PM »
HAROLD: WELCOME WELCOME.

Great that you have already read about the 1936 Olympics. That part of history tends to get lost in the war and turmoil that followed. So I'm eager to learn more.

BELLAMARIE: you have written my "To Do" list. I've intended to read "Unbroken", see "the Imitation Game" and I always want to snuggle up with a book. 

Jonathan

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2015, 11:56:32 AM »
I've always thought of them as the Jesse Owens Olympics. I just recently found a book with the title: Hitler's Olympics. And now Joe Rantz, at ninety, being asked what do you remember about them. Is it any wonder that he teared up? Thanks, Joan, for pointing out the four major threads interwoven so cleverly in the book.

C'mon crew. Get your oars in the water. All together now. Ten strokes per minute. And don't splash your neighbors.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2015, 12:04:47 PM »
That was a terrific interview.  I'm sure this book will make a great movie.  I hope they do as good a movie as Chariots of Fire, a favorite of mine.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2015, 02:52:10 PM »
You're right about Jesse Owens Olympics, Jonathan.  If you mention just those words everyone knows which Olympics you're talking about.

The interview link looks good, and I've emailed HEC-TV for a transcript (hopefully) as there are no captions.

Am loving the book, which I did not start until Jan 1, and what a surprise to find much of it taking place in Seattle, which I had just left two days before.  My Seattle grandson would rather do things other than read, but I'm going to recommend this to him, as he loves sports and has just turned in a college application to U-Dub.

JoanK, I'm finding the historical aspects fascinating, the Depression especially, and its effects on the Pacific Northwest.  I don't know why, but I didn't expect to see a picture of a Hooverville in Seattle.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2015, 04:45:13 PM »
Yes, wasn't the interview good. Thanks BLUEBIRD. A link to it is now posted in the heading.

WELCOME PAT, JONATHAN, PEDLIN, BEELAMARIE. Glad you decided to stay with us.

Yes, the author DJB says that Jesse Owens got all the publicity. When our boys won their gold, the Seattle newspapers were on strike, so it didn't even make the hometown papers. DBJ had never heard of them until he met his neighbor.

In my list of interesting things above, I forgot to mention the one that interests me -- the chance to learn about an area, even a subculture, that I know absolutely nothing about. I'm fascinated by the man who is quoted in the chapter headings, sitting in an attic for years, building boats, famous among a group of people but completely unknown outside.

What do you think of his comments?

bluebird24

bluebird24

bellamarie

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2015, 11:45:53 PM »
I am up to page 59 in the book, and I am so sad for poor 10 yr old Joe, being kicked out of his home because his step mother does not like him. As if losing his mother at age four, being shuffled around when his family home catches fire, and finally reunited with his father isn't enough for such a young boy to have to deal with.  I suspect all the manual labor, hauling trays of food up and down, and cutting wood has been if I may deduce, a God send, since it is building his youthful body into more a muscular man's body, which will help him in strength and stamina once he begins rowing.
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2015, 12:16:21 PM »
It makes you wonder, doesn't it Bellamarie, what the laws concerning children were like then, back in the 1920's.  Children seemed to be looked at with different eyes than those of later years.  A 10-year-old, earning his own keep?  I wondered why brother Fred did not take him in, or why the dad Harry didn't ask Fred.  It seems that no matter how poorly he's treated by him that Joe idolizes his father.

JoanK, I"m enjoying the comments by George Yeoman Pocock, who is an enterprising character in his own right.  I'd like to know more about him, and wonder if we'll see paralles between him and Joe (or perhaps him and "the boat.")

bellamarie

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2015, 12:27:46 PM »
Yes, pendln, I did wonder why the brother Fred did not take Joe in.  I was almost assuming he would, and then seeing how Harry took Joe to the schoolhouse, and he was turned over to earn his keep at his age just made me tear up.  It was tender reading Joe's feelings for his Dad.  I image it's the times they shared he sits and remembers is what he keeps near and dear to his heart, not allowing the painfulness to overtake him.  That sure says a lot about him at such a young age.

I too want to learn more about George Yeoman Pocock. 

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2015, 01:44:51 PM »
Bellamarie, wait until you see what happens to Joe when he's 14.  He really needs all his resourcefulness.

Pedln, I too wondered about child protective laws then.  I suspect that whatever the laws were, with everyone as desperate as they were then, no one bothered about someone else's details.

Halcyon

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2015, 02:52:29 PM »
My thoughts on the way children were treated in earlier times.  It seems they were valued not for what would be their future contributions but for what they could provide as soon as they were old enough to be put to work as manual laborers not only on farms but in sweat shops.  Also, because of lack of birth control, some parents, with more children than you could count on two hands, really did not want that next child.  Having said all that it is hard to understand Joe's father, step-mother and brother.  Was he a surprise in the first marriage?  Was his step-mother jealous of the attention he got from his father?  Was the brother too busy with his own life?

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2015, 04:00:52 PM »
And after that treatment he got from his own father, Joe seems to have become a wonderful father, judging by the interview. His daughter adored him.

I've read ahead, so forget what I read where. We do learn Pocock's life story, and it's an interesting one.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2015, 04:26:53 PM »
In Laura Ingalls Wilder's book about the childhood of her husband (Farmer Boy) it's stated that a farmer's son was generally expected to work on the farm until he was 18, as a payback for the costs of his upbringing, and was then free to leave and make his own way.

I did some googling to try to find out if it was legal during the Depression to walk away from a 14 year old child without making provision for him.  I learned a lot of interesting stuff, but not the answer to my question.

Joe's stepmother seems to have been totally overwhelmed by the hard life she found herself in.  She seems to have had no affection for this child who wasn't hers, and as Halcyon says, was probably jealous of his father's attention.  So it's evident why she didn't want to put up with him, but it's less obvious why the father went along with it.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2015, 04:37:12 PM »
Hello, everyone!

I've been in the hospital for a day/night since I last posted, but am here to tell you how much I am enjoying your comments about the book - and we are just getting started. 

And all of you are wondering about Joe and being on his own, being abandoned.  I must go back to the book to see if it was because of troubles between Joe and his stepmother.

Most of us, fortunately, have lived in an era where schools took a more active part in absentiism (truant officers) and most of us have had concerned parents, but I think the period of our history we are discussing - the depression years - were very difficult for families, even loving ones, and certainly difficult for chi ldren - children who were kept out of school so they could help the families eat.

Two quick examples come to mind, and I am sure you can think of others.   Immigrants to America, the Triangle Fire in NYC, no child labor laws.    (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFJ6cQUJOsg)

And farm families, not being able to hire help during the busy times, needed their children for help.

I have never understood those that do not have a sense of our history, our tough times and our good times.  This book is of a tough time do you agree?

bellamarie

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2015, 05:51:14 PM »
Ella, I am so sorry to hear you were in the hospital.  I pray all is well with you.

JoanK., you totally threw me off with your comment.  Not quite there yet.

Halcyon,  It appears salmon was more protected than children were back in the earlier times.  They had poaching laws, but nothing to stop parents from abandoning their underage children.  Was 14 yrs. old considered an acceptable age to leave your child to fend for himself?

Oh PatH., I am just stupefied reading what this poor boy has had to go through in the short 14 years of his life.  Abandonment by his own father not once but twice, is beyond my comprehension.  This step mother is just horrible, and how dare his father leave him to fend for himself in a house half built.  These words are so very heartbreaking:

Joe lay in his bed for a long time, listening, remembering the days he had spent lying in bed in his aunt's attic in Pennsylvania listening to the mournful sound of trains in the distance, with fear and aloneness weighing on him, pressing down on his chest, pushing him into the mattress.  The feeling was back.  He did not want to get up, did not really care if he ever got up.
pg. 78 on my ipad

Then he finds it in himself to overcome this awful situation and take control of his own life:

Finally, though, he did get up.  He made a fire in the wood stove, put water on to boil, fried some bacon, and made some coffee.  Very slowly, as he ate the bacon and the coffee cleared his mind, the spinning in his head began to diminish and he found himself creeping up on a new realization.  He opened his eye and seized it, took it in, comprehended it all at once, and found that it came accompanied by a fierce determination, a sense of rising resolution.  He was sick and tired of finding himself in this postion__scared and hurt and abandoned and endlessly asking himself why.  Whatever else came his way he wasn't going to let anything like this happen again.  From now on, he would make his own way, find his own route to happiness, as his father had said.  He'd prove to his father and to himself that he could do it.  He wouldn't become a hermit.  He liked people too much for that, and friends could help push away the loneliness.  He would never again let himself depend on them, though, nor on his family, nor on anyone else, for his sense of who he was.  He would survive, and he would do it on his own. pg. 79 on my ipad.

Good for him!  I feel myself cheering for him at this point, as I would watching him row in the Olympics. This is the determination and fortitude Gold Medalists are made of.  

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2015, 07:32:40 PM »
If it's all right with everyone, can we go back to the Prologue for just a few posts?  It's such a tender beginning.

BELLMARIE remarked about cheering young Joe along -

but what about old Joe?  He cried when he talked about the past.

Our author is trying to explain why old Joe cried. 

A vanished moment, a shared experience.

We've all had them.  What are your moments, your shared experiences, the treasured past?

Halcyon

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2015, 08:38:19 PM »
I think old Joe cried thinking about what was a mystical experience for him, one that could not be repeated.  Maybe he was just sad because he knew his life was near the end and it would probably be the last chance for him to tell his story.

ASIDE:  My son and his fiancee live in Seattle, she is a third year resident at The University of Washington, or U Dub as the locals call it.  The were at a university function last night and everyone was talking about The Boys in the Boat!

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2015, 12:09:36 PM »
Crying doesn't always mean sadness but can be an expression of wonderment of past circumstances.  He no longer was active and busy and had time to reflect on his life and what that particular time meant to him.  Speaking of that particular time in his life was the only time he cried-----not for being left behind or deaths of his friends but only that period when he was part of something wonderful.

Halcyon

« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2015, 12:26:59 PM »
FlaJean, I think you are right about that and it must have been even more amazing to the boys in the boat after the whole world learned what an evil person Hitler was.  Good defeating evil. 

Aberlaine

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2015, 04:10:20 PM »
Joe insisted that Daniel Brown write about "the boat".  And "the boat" wasn't the Husky Clipper, the shell they rowed to victory in 1936.  "The boat" to Joe encompassed the shell and the crew, but "it was something mysterious and almost beyond definition.  It was a shared experience -- a singular thing that had unfolded in a golden sliver of time long gone, when nine good-hearted young men strove together, pulled together as one, gave everything they had for one another, bound together forever by pride and respect and love."

No wonder he cried when talking about that experience - for the loss of that vanished moment and the sheer beauty of it.  I hope that each of us, at our deathbeds, can look back and find one experience whose sheer beauty will make us cry.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2015, 04:52:50 PM »
He cried earlier, too. Here he is: he has learned that he has made the first boat, and they are about to go out together:
"..for a brief fragile moment it seemed to Joe as if all of them were a part of a single thing, something alive with breath and spirit of its own... for the first time since his family had left him, tears filled his eyes"

Have you ever felt that -- that you were part of a single thing, larger than yourself? Is that the theme of this book?

bluebird24

« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2015, 05:57:51 PM »
http://www.historylink.org/

search george pocock

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2015, 06:23:59 PM »
Thanks for those great comments.  Isn't it fun to be in a discussion with a good group.  

Yes, treasured moments.  Joyful moments.  I can cry very easily when I think of the  first sight of my babies after they were born.    And to hold them.  

And perhaps it is one of the themes of the book, although I am leaning more toward the competitive sport of rowing and those involved in the 1936 Olympics.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2015, 06:30:44 PM »
 DID EVERYONE THAT WANTED ONE GET A COPY OF THE BOOK?   I am missing a few of you who wanted to be in the discussion group.   I know our Columbus Metropolitan library system is still backed up.  Too many on hold, too many out in book groups. 

We would love to hear from you.

bellamarie

« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2015, 09:50:39 AM »
Yes, Ella, old Joe does seem to be emotionally affected by thinking back to his years of rowing.  In the prologue:

His voice was reedy, fragile, and attenuated almost to the breaking point.  From time to time he faded into silence.  Slowly, though, with cautious prompting from his daughter, he began to spin out some of the threads of his life story.  Recalling his childhood and his young adulthood during the Great Depression, he spoke haltingly but resolutely about a series of hardships he had endured and obstacles he had overcome, a tale that, as I sat taking notes, at first surprised and then astonished me.

But is wasn't until he began to talk about his rowing career at the University of Washington that he started, from time to time, to cry.  He talked about learning the art of rowing, about shells and oars, about tactics and technique.  He reminisced about long, cold hours on the water under steel-gray skies, about traveling to Germany and marching under Hitler's eyes into the Olympic Stadium in Berlin, and about his crew-mates.  None of these recollections brought him to tears, though.  It was when he tried to talk about "the boat" that his words began to falter and tears welled up in his bright eyes.

At first I thought he meant the Husky Clipper, the racing shell in which he had rowed his way to glory.  Or did he mean his teammates, the improbable assemblage of young men who had pulled off one of rowing's greatest achievements?  Finally, watching Joe struggle for composure over and over, I realized that "the boat" was something more than just the shell or its crew.  To Joe, it encompassed but transcended both__it was a shared experience__a singular thing that had unfolded in a golden sliver of time long gone, when nine good-hearted young men strove together, pulled together as one, gave everything they had for one another, bound together forever by pride and respect and love.  Joe was crying, at least in part, for the loss of that vanished moment but much more, I think, for the sheer beauty of it.

Again, in Joan K's post, Joe is crying as he is feeling the connection of being a part of a single thing.

" he has learned that he has made the first boat, and they are about to go out together:
"..for a brief fragile moment it seemed to Joe as if all of them were a part of a single thing, something alive with breath and spirit of its own... for the first time since his family had left him, tears filled his eyes"

I suspect it is "the boat" which gives him a sense of family.  He lost his mother at such a young age, was abandoned by his father twice, his step mother showed him no love, and for once in a very long time he feels a part of something that feels like a single unit, a sense of acceptance, a sense of family, of belonging......

My treasured moment I have is the day Sr. Myra, the principal of my children's Catholic grade school asked me to teach Catechism classes, knowing I had no college degrees, no teaching degree, and no past Catholic school teaching.  She told me I didn't need any of that, because she could see I had the love of the faith, and the teacher's manual will supply me with the rest.  A few years later she then asked me to begin the school's technology computer lab.  Again, I had no teaching degree, or prior computer skills.  She said, I have faith in you Marie, that you can do this, and I will help you.  Our K-8 computer lab ended up being one of the best in the Toledo diocese, and I was chosen to teach at a weekend workshop at the University or Bowling Green, to introduce area high school teachers to basic computer skills.  Computers to me, is like Joe's "boat"  the feeling of being chosen, the feeling of others having faith in you, the feeling of being a part of something you know is bigger than you ever expected to happen in your life, the feeling of belonging......

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2015, 02:51:45 PM »
That's wonderful.

"Computers to me, is like Joe's "boat"  the feeling of being chosen, the feeling of others having faith in you, the feeling of being a part of something you know is bigger than you ever expected to happen in your life, the feeling of belonging...... "

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2015, 03:36:32 PM »
EELA's comment:

"How rowing came to the University of Washington would make a book in itself.  What amazed you the most from the stories of the Pocock brothers and Conibear?