Author Topic: Boys in the Boat, The~ January Book Club Online  (Read 63934 times)

bellamarie

Re: Boys in the Boat, The~ January Book Club Online
« Reply #240 on: January 27, 2015, 05:06:49 PM »
The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome.

January Book Club Online:

The  Boys in the Boat
by Daniel James Brown

The #1 New York Times–bestselling story about American Olympic triumph in Nazi Germany.

"Out of the depths of the Depression comes an irresistible story about beating the odds and finding hope in the most desperate of times—the improbable, intimate account of how nine working-class boys from the American West showed the world at the 1936 Olympics in Berlin what true grit really meant...

The emotional heart of the tale lies with Joe Rantz, a teenager without family or prospects, who rows not only to regain his shattered self-regard but also to find a real place for himself in the world. Drawing on the boys’ own journals and vivid memories of a once-in-a-lifetime shared dream, Brown has created an unforgettable portrait of an era, a celebration of a remarkable achievement, and a chronicle of one extraordinary young man’s personal quest." - Amazon.com

DISCUSSION SCHEDULE:

PROLOGUE, PART ONE..............................JANUARY  l -  7           
PART TWO...............................................JANUARY  8 - 14
PART THREE............................................JANUARY 15 - 24
PART FOUR .............................................JANUARY 25 - end

RELEVANT LINKS:
1936 Film of Olympic Rowing

Daniel James Brown Website and Information

Interview With the Author, Daniel James Brown 

Triumph of the Will  - Nazi propaganda film

Indoor Rowers Training Techniques 

Discussion Leaders: Ella & JoanK

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JoanK.,  
They knew these would lead to disapproval, but at some level, did they also know they were wrong?

I have to say a definite NO!  If they saw nothing wrong with killing Jews, Catholics, homosexuals, etc.,  they did not see anything wrong with racial hatred, and book banning.  They only wanted to keep it as secret as possible, until Hitler made his intentions openly.  I guess we should clarify who "they" were.  Hitler, and his true supporters..  
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #241 on: January 28, 2015, 08:59:24 AM »
As Phyllis Diller used to say, when company comes, you put the dirty dishes in the oven and you bury the diapers in the back yard.     

You hide what you are ashamed of.  They knew what was wrong.

One person in America knew the truth:  In a letter to the New York Times Richard Wingate wrote:  “Mr. Brundage has reached his destination, the Utopia of sportsmanship and good-will, where Nazi beer and Jewish blood flow freely'

Was anyone in America reading the paper?  Commenting?  About this time I think Lindbergh was applauding the Germans - I will look that up.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #242 on: January 28, 2015, 09:05:16 AM »
As the boys entered the stadium they sang:

]Hail, hail, the gang's all here
What the deuce do we care
...................."

Was there a reason they chose this song?

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #243 on: January 28, 2015, 09:13:58 AM »
"" On Lindbergh’s last day in Germany, Lindbergh and his wife attended the opening ceremonies of the 1936 Summer Olympics in Berlin as special guests of Hermann Göring and were seated in a special spectator box with Göring and his wife. Truman Smith later claimed that Lindbergh’s special relationship with Göring was a milestone for the American military attaché in Berlin because it gave the Americans access to German Air Ministry they never had before.

The facilities and technology of the German Luftwaffe impressed Lindbergh. He also noted the work ethic of the German people, and exclaimed that there was “a spirit in Germany which I have not seen in any other country. There is certainly great ability, and I am inclined to think more intelligent leadership than is generally recognized. A person would have to be blind not to recognize that they have already built up tremendous strength”. Lindbergh also was impressed by the good discipline, high morals, and restrained press that existed in Germany—things that he believed were lacking in the United States" -
     http://www.traces.org/charleslindbergh.html

"restrained press" - the worst of it?

bellamarie

« Reply #244 on: January 28, 2015, 03:30:25 PM »
Ella, I remember reading this in one of our books we read with Lindbergh, and if my memory serves me correctly, did this not end up causing him much shame with the military later?  I'll have to go through our archives to see which book it was. 
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #245 on: January 28, 2015, 06:14:10 PM »
BELLAMARIE: I remember hearing that, too, although I don't remember where. He is remembered for three things: his historic flight, his baby's kidnapping and death, and being a Nazi sympathizer. Whether the last is fair, or whether he was taken in at the beginning, like so many others, I don't know.

But it would be surprising if our boys, out of the country for the first time and into the middle of a grand celebration, would be very sophisticated at picking up politics. Those of you who have been abroad, do you remember your reactions the first time being in a strange country?

Halcyon

« Reply #246 on: January 29, 2015, 11:50:58 AM »
I remember thinking how small the countries were, more like our states, and how amazing the United States even existed with its sheer size, population and different cultures.  Always took it for granted but shouldn't.  Sorry I read the book so quickly as I've missed out on lots of good discussion.  Next time I'll know better. 

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #247 on: January 29, 2015, 11:52:48 AM »
JUST THREE MORE DAYS!

HAS EVERYONE FINISHED THE BOOK?  ARE YOU STILL HERE READING THE DISCUSSION?

SHALL WE CONTINUE?   WE ARE ALMOST to THE END.   

LET US KNOW

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #248 on: January 29, 2015, 12:07:50 PM »
Bobby Moch, their coxswain:

http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?displaypage=output.cfm&file_id=10906

Just put his name in Google and you get a dozen articles and images.

Jonathan

« Reply #249 on: January 29, 2015, 02:29:37 PM »
'We were all like brothers...and I miss them.' Bobby Moch, in 2002, at 88. Isn't that touching. That comes at the end of the article on him, in your link, Ella, and it certainly is touching. And so was the story on Charles Lindbergh in your link the other day. What memories he was left with. He, too, felt so strongly about brotherhood, and worked so hard to keep his country out of  war. And was villainized for his efforts. No doubt Lindbergh looked for a restrained press. It was to avoid the media attention that he escaped to Europe in the thirties.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #250 on: January 29, 2015, 03:36:17 PM »
I wonder if Moch ever accepted his Jewish heritage. Did he go to meet his relatives in Switzerland, I wonder.  And did they survive the war? So many stories.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #251 on: January 29, 2015, 05:28:19 PM »
I wondered about Moch too.  I was hoping he would visit his relatives after the Olympics, because he would have gotten an earful about the real situation in Germany, but there's no mention of it.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #252 on: January 29, 2015, 05:33:08 PM »
Finished today.  Still here.  Brown is an excellent writer.  He manages to maintain suspense, even when the ending is known, and he has you wanting to know more.  And he puts all kinds of thoughts and questions in your head.  Now I"m wondering which of his other two books Judy was reading to Joe.

And I"m wondering too, did any sportwriter pick up on the  injustice of the lane assignments.  That was so bad.  I wonder what Royal Brougham put in his story, which ironicly never got published.

With the exception of Chuck Day, these men lived pretty long lives, and did at least some rowing as they aged.  A good example of the benefits of lifetime exercise?  Joe was hiking in the woods in his 90s.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #253 on: January 30, 2015, 12:27:25 PM »
As our author says at the end of the book:  "And so they passed away, loved and remembered for all that they were - not just Olylmpic oarsmen but good men, one and all."

And so our discussion is passing away, being archived soon.

How would you rate the book on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the highest)?  For content, style, characters, whatever?

As one of the Discussion Leaders, I want to THANK YOU FOR YOUR PARTICIPATION, YOUR  INTEREST, YOUR COMMENTS.    It was wonderful - great fun to come in every day and read what you had to say.   I love disclussing books and If you have suggestions for another nonfiction book, please post it in the Nonfiction folder

We will meet again in another discussion and in the meantime, you can continue posting here for a day or two.  .

bellamarie

« Reply #254 on: January 30, 2015, 02:36:23 PM »
I would rate the book on a scale of 1 - 10 probaby a 6.  I can say I would never have picked this book to read on my own.  I am glad I did decide to read and discuss it with all of you.  It was a troubling story for me, because of the pain and abandonment Joe had to experience throughout his boyhood.  I am so glad he had Joyce, who did not accept the way his father and stepmother treated him, so she made sure she did all she could to help him never feel alone.  I was glad Joe's father finally was involved in his life, it's a bit sad to know it only happened because Thula died.

DJB did an excellent job writing Joe's story.  I like how he added parts to give us the history of what was happening politically, even if it seemed the U.S. and the college teams were not affected directly from it.  Some of it was a distraction for me, but I still am glad he covered it.

Brown was able to keep me interested in the race in Berlin, even knowing the team won gold.  I was amazed at all the obstacles they had to overcome.  I felt like I was right there as a spectator, watching the race, screaming with Moch as he started banging the wooden knockers on the tiller lines, hoping the boys could feel the vibrations, since they could not hear him, and Don Hume seemed lost in his disoriented state of health.

I felt as excited reading their victory, as much as watching the Olympics on tv.  I always get overwhelmed and my eyes fill with tears of pride and joy, when any of our Americans win gold, so this really brought the same emotions to me when I read:

"The boys climbed out of the shell and stood at the attention while a German band played "The Star-Spangled Banner."

I am glad Brown gave us a follow up of the boys, as they separated in life, but continued to get together at least once a year.

Thank you to our moderators Ella and JoanK., as always the two of you kept us on our toes, posed some really great thought provoking questions, and supplied us with great links and pictures. 

Ciao for now~

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #255 on: January 30, 2015, 04:02:06 PM »
I'll definitely read more by this author. And as always, discussing the book with you all has made it come alive for me. You are the best!

Now to get ready for "The Lady of Shalott."

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #256 on: January 31, 2015, 01:02:37 PM »
Whoops.  You caught me by surprise; I thought we had more time.  If I get a chance , I'll say a few more bits.

This was a great discussion.  Thank you, Ella, for picking a book I thoroughly enjoyed, and would never have read on my own.  And thank you, Ella and JoanK, for making it such a good discussion, with so many ideas, and links to extra material.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #257 on: February 01, 2015, 06:43:58 PM »
We'll just keep rowing along.  I'm up to 10 minutes now and my mantra for each minute is the name of one of the boys, plus Al Ulbrickson.  Need to go back and check the order -- am good from Bobby thru Stub McMillan.

I'll give it all  a 10.  What else, when I liked it so much.. Both book and discussion  have been delightful.  Many many thanks Ella and JOanK, and thanks too, to all of you who brought us so much to think about.

Way enough!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #258 on: February 02, 2015, 04:11:55 PM »
PEDLIN: THAT'S GREAT!

bluebird24

« Reply #259 on: February 02, 2015, 04:45:51 PM »
Hi! I give this special story 8.  You feel you are there. Thank you, Ella and JoanK.  How did you find it?

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #260 on: February 02, 2015, 05:03:34 PM »
I loved the book, BLUEBIRD.  It kept my interest all the way through, young Joe, old Joe, the other boys, the coaches, the 1936 Olympics; it was all great reading I thought.   And the author did a good job of writing and the discussion, WELL-----------------

I give it all a 10! 

Thanks to all of you for your comments.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #261 on: February 03, 2015, 11:21:08 AM »
Can't leave it here.  I'm horrified -- NYT article today about those who want to make college football into a curriculum because the players just don't have time to take classes.  Football major, basketball minor

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/08/education/edlife/football-major-basketball-minor.html

When I think of how hard "our" boys worked, even stayed extra years to meet course requirements I just cringe at the thought of what some college athletics have become.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #262 on: February 03, 2015, 02:24:18 PM »
Pedln, you're a mind reader; you just gave me a perfect lead-in to the comment I sat down to write.

"Our" boys were the exact opposite of the current "student" athlete.  They didn't get a single concession for their athletic skill.  One of them still couldn't find the money to finish, even after he was famous.  And they all went on to hold down serious and demanding jobs--most of them in engineering or science, and the ones who couldn't finish school had responsible, demanding careers running mining or construction businesses.

My husband had his own suggestion for the student athlete problem.  The colleges should buy racehorses for the students to root for.  The jockeys could wear the school colors, and the horses wouldn't have to pass exams.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #263 on: February 03, 2015, 02:28:13 PM »
Ella, I bet you didn't realize when you chose the book that you were going to contribute to the fitness of SeniorLearners.

Jonathan

« Reply #264 on: February 04, 2015, 01:45:01 PM »
And even more than physical fitness. Congratulations to all of you who have taken to rowing for the exercise, for the challenge and the fun. I found my dreams got much more exciting. Three times, during the discussion, I found myelf in the shell with the boys, enjoying the 'swing'. I can still hear the voice behind me: You gotta move the boat, not the water. I can't get over the effort that went into the gold medal. Four thousand some miles of rowing. Twenty-seven miles of competitive racing, over three years. Strange, how the Olympic race was the least classic. It seemed like such a grind. The author could not have enjoyed describing that one, unlike the other wins.

Only one thing disturbed my dreams. The thought of meeting Goebbels. That nasty little guy.

Thanks to all of you for the great ride.