Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece 2015 ~ Downton Abbey and Other PBS Programs  (Read 103341 times)

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
Re: PBS Masterpiece 2015 ~ Downton Abbey and Other PBS Programs
« Reply #120 on: February 20, 2015, 04:10:47 PM »

See the 2015 MASTERPIECE schedule.  

NOW DISCUSSING

Let's talk about PBS programs that we enjoy.

Downton Abbey, Season V

Watch the current season January 4 - March 1, 2015.

Grantchester, Season 1

Set in the English countryside’s most idyllic village, Grantchester follows two unlikely allies as they solve a series of cases that reveal the dark side of early 1950s England. Grantchester is based on the acclaimed novel Sidney Chambers and the Shadow of Death by James Runcie, which was called “the coziest of cozy murder mysteries” by the New York Times Book Review.
Watch the new series (showing right after Downton Abbey in many areas) through February.

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP and marcie

Barb, we had an old Doc Martin from Feb 2013.  The show about his and Louisa's wedding.  Does PBS have problems here also; EST.  We will see what comes on tonight.  

Whoops!  My sister, Mary, just called from NC and due to the winter weather warning of snow and sleet, her flight has been changed to arrive at 7:30 tonight instead of 1:30 tomorrow.  Good grief!  I must hi-tail it to the grocery!
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

mabel1015j

« Reply #121 on: February 20, 2015, 10:18:41 PM »
I'm watching Jim Carter (aka Carson) on 2 Midsomer Murders!!! He was a handsome man with his curly hair.

One of our PBS stations shows Rosemary and Thyme and Midsomer Murders every Fri night.

Jean

Steph

« Reply #122 on: February 21, 2015, 08:55:47 AM »
I watch the weather and also do it on line. It is sort of funny, the differences of opinion in the weather forecasts..
Stephanie and assorted corgi

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #123 on: February 23, 2015, 01:54:42 AM »
Well we could see that coming with Anna - and Bates - it sounds like Bates is going to attempt to be a fall guy - whatever happened hope it clears it up with some believable truth -

Looks like we have Edith's secret whispering through  - and my word, Rose's mother whew - talk about an angry women but to take it out on her daughter - sheesh - thank goodness Rose is the kind who does not need to know 'who' - I cannot imagine the goodness that is Rose being knocked that low because, the betrayal of a parent really lays you low.

And Thomas, my goodness two weeks in a row and we have Thomas as a hero - was it really all this time all about his secret sexual preference needing a straight man to say to him, it's OK, he is what he is?

And this Grantchester - interesting - certainly the quaint village scenery does not match the interior life of some of the villagers and especially this vicar.  I do not remember we learned earlier that he is from Scotland - what a horror to have to live with - he had no other choice with no medics unless you are heartless and let him bleed out in all that pain but oh dear - I was crying.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Steph

« Reply #124 on: February 23, 2015, 08:43:51 AM »
This detective who arrested Anna for nothing other than a total stranger to us all saying she was there is weird. I assume this is setting up yet another Bates taking blame for others, but darn it all, this has been done several times. Give it a rest.. Rose's mother is a horror and I think Rose knows this.. Mary is sentimental for Sybels husband, but not her own sister. She is another one I simply do not grip.. Yes, I am not surprised that Robert guessed the secret and even seems to want to have another grandchild to love.

Poppaea

« Reply #125 on: February 23, 2015, 11:32:11 AM »
This episode of Downton Abbey was very dramatic. So much was put in the way of Rose and Atticus getting married and I was on the edge of my seat over the ceremony in the Registrar's office. Any moment it seemed someone would spoil it.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #126 on: February 23, 2015, 03:48:40 PM »
Yep, hepeskin I was with you on that except the grooms mother is a force to behold - all this time we gave that to the Dowager Countess of Grantham, Violet Crawley but my word this is some strong woman with the same ability to quip her way through put downs as she did when at dinner in front of everyone as Rose's Mother was giving her a dig she said they had not trouble getting 'stuff' since they pay well they are Jewish - wow

That was really the end of an era when Mary says to the detective that she was Lady Grantham and he usurped her putting her down with a rude remark about not caring if she were lady of the Nile - wow but it was a great devise in story telling to establish the end of what had been for a 1000 years.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Steph

« Reply #127 on: February 24, 2015, 08:52:43 AM »
Yes, Mary does not grip that the power she assumes is really an illusion.. But the detective bothers me.. He just does not have anything but an eyewitness of a crime that was committed several years ago, who did not come forward right away..

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #128 on: February 24, 2015, 09:27:31 AM »
I had not seen this program for some time, I missed at least a year, possibly two, but there's a traveling exhibit of the series's costumes at Biltmore House so I thought I'd look in last Sunday.

I was quite taken by the way the program  is presented. I am not sure if this is new or if this is something that's always been, I can't recall. But you have an intense vignette, usually something ending  with suspense, Thomas for instance,  going to save the day and rescue the footman, and this lasts about 3 minutes if that, just long enough to create the situation and the  suspense,  and then you jump to the next segment for 3 minutes if that,  and then you jump to the next group for a short time and then you jump on. It's hard to stop watching because you want to know what happened to Thomas (or whoever)  but you want to give everybody a turn. As the spoof of Downton said, juggling all the balls. There seem more of them lately for Fellowes to juggle.

I don't recall it being like this in the past, am I wrong?

It's an effective technique, very much like the old cliffhanger movies with Poor Pauline in crisis as the movie ends, except in this one the movie crisis ends every three minutes.

I found it difficult to follow the plot lines but I have been out for a long time.

I did find the romance of the Maggie Smith character implausible.

serenesheila

« Reply #129 on: February 24, 2015, 11:49:09 AM »
I find the reappearance of Maggie Smith's old love interest touching.  I am 80 years old   and would welcolme an old flame back.  :D

Sheila

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #130 on: February 24, 2015, 01:32:40 PM »
Yes, having admitted the loneliness she will feel when Isobel marries, and she is even encouraging her to marry in spite of the spiteful sons, it would be nice to imagine Violet having a loving companion however, something tells me it won't happen. Her sense of decorum and values that exclude divorce will prevent her from a relationship with the Count as long as there is a hint of a wife still alive.

Ginny I think the technique used to tell the story is more apparent now since there are so many loose ends he is tying up - and as to Thomas, that is an ongoing issue that it is difficult to predict where he is going with the Thomas character since the last two weeks Thomas has been acting so out of character. 

MaryPage

« Reply #131 on: February 24, 2015, 02:34:31 PM »
Ginny, you are mistaken!

I was 74 when I married the 80 year old LOVE OF MY LIFE.  We were extremely happy together.  Love is not implausible, even in those in their nineties and more.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #132 on: February 24, 2015, 02:58:00 PM »
No I don't think I am wrong, with all due respect.  I am not talking about everybody in the world, I am talking about her, and I think for HER it's implausible.

I'm not saying people don't marry in old age, everybody has seen that, tho I am not sure 74 is old,  I'm saying I can't see her doing it.   And that's OK to say, because SHE is fictional. Heaven only knows what he'll have her doing next.

Steph

« Reply #133 on: February 25, 2015, 09:01:40 AM »
I think the Violet is too aware of the outside world, but I also think she is sorely tempted. I love Rose's new mother in law. I hope we see more of her. Now there is a woman to reckon with. Thomas... where the heck is this going.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #134 on: March 01, 2015, 01:47:58 PM »
We'll see what and who comes together in the season finale of Downton Abbey tonight (March 1)!

MaryPage

« Reply #135 on: March 01, 2015, 05:20:03 PM »
You're going to LOVE it!  Every bit of it!

Steph

« Reply #136 on: March 02, 2015, 08:48:34 AM »
Alas , a local problem, no tv,, will have to watch next week, since they rerun generally.

CallieOK

« Reply #137 on: March 02, 2015, 09:55:22 AM »
Good finale to "Downtown Abbey".   No surprises for me.

I think things were left in such a way that a Season 6 could happen...or not. 

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #138 on: March 02, 2015, 10:59:56 AM »
That was a good finale.  Really enjoyed it!

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #139 on: March 02, 2015, 11:09:02 AM »
looks like we will not only loose Tom but also Rose as they are off to America - I thought their attempt to let us say goodby to Tom was a bit lacking- something did not ring just right and the return of Bates was lovely - a good job I thought in his dress looking like he had only returned from Ireland.

The young man - forget his name Turpin or Turling or something who Mary accompanied during the shooting - he looked an awful lot like one of Richard Grey, Lord Merton's son - since Lord Merton is Mary's Godfather I would think she would know his sons and so who is he in the scheme of things with his snappy vehicle.

And they pulled out all the stops with Alun Armstrong as the Butler Stowe - he was Thénardier in Les Mis on the London Stage - here is a youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwHPzd2s_vg

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #140 on: March 02, 2015, 07:12:26 PM »
Good catch BARB. I didn't recognize him.

salan

« Reply #141 on: March 02, 2015, 07:46:21 PM »
What a satisfying ending!  It left me fulfilled and ready to see what the next season will bring.
Sally

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #142 on: March 02, 2015, 09:17:43 PM »
I too thought that the end of this season was pretty satisfying overall. There were a few things that were sort of unexpected.

Thomas struck out pretty cruely at Rose's father-in-law.

The romantic relationships of Violet and Isobel seem to be over. I expected that for Violet but wasn't sure about Isobel.

MaryPage

« Reply #143 on: March 03, 2015, 08:57:04 AM »
I think Isobel will wind up marrying Lord Merton after nursing him back to health from near death in an illness.  I think Tom will come home to Downton with Sibbie for the dowager countess's funeral:  they cannot let her live forever.  And I think he will find he is needed and stay.  Sibbie will be a handful, having been Americanized.  I think Anna and Bates will now encounter no murders and settle down to live happily ever after in the estate cottage.  Perhaps a baby?  I think much focus will turn downstairs on what Daisy is going to do with her life.

Or maybe Cora will have to go home to HER mother's funeral, and will visit Tom and Sibbie and convince Tom he is needed at home.

Just swinging possible scenarios around in my head.  I just loved this last season, and especially Christmas celebrated at Downton.

Steph

« Reply #144 on: March 03, 2015, 09:15:01 AM »
I am envious, but will live..and Maggie Smith seems to be intent on letting us know that next year is her last.. Am excited another of the Marigold Hotel movies is out Friday.

Poppaea

« Reply #145 on: March 03, 2015, 12:26:48 PM »
I have a feeling that the smart, aristocratic chap who likes fancy cars is going to play a greater role in the next season - my guess is that he and Lady Mary will get married. She needs someone who will know how to put her in her place.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #146 on: March 03, 2015, 01:48:36 PM »
Oh goodness I cannot imagine having anyone put Lady Mary 'in her place' as we imagine in her place ought to look like - I think she is the key to the whole show as she depicts what is typical of this time in the history of British Aristocracy - plus she is a hoot - she is probably not too much different than Lady Violet was as a young women - they both have strong opinions and can arrange the mechanics of everyone keeping in their place based on how it was - Lady Violet has a swift quip and Lady Mary just stands tall and dismisses anyone who does not measure up to the 'titled' standards - better a Lady Mary than a simpering Cora or even a depressive Edith who has always been in a box called 'try' - where as Lady Mary calls it as she sees it with no second guessing or feeling she has to be approved and she will be the one who must see to the future enactments to maintain Downton.

My guess on Daisy, now being shown as quite the artistic and accomplished cook and as staff is further reduced so that every nook and cranny of the Abby has to show a profit, my guess she will be in charge of not only the kitchen but a tea room serving to the many guests that will be flocking in to see Downton as a tourist attraction as so many of the great houses have become. But then that would be after WWII wouldn't it and so it will be interesting to see how the crash of '29 and the mixed attitudes of the lead up to WWII is handled. To think that all these little ones in the nursery will be of age to fight in WWII.

I wonder if we ever get to learn who pushed Green - even if Bates and Anna have their cottage life together to me it will not feel settled until that mystery is cleared up - and yes, it sure looks like we will see more of the blade in the fancy car - and somehow I bet there is a showdown with Lord Merton's sons and he and Isobel do marry - I can see how Lady Violet had her last Hurrah with the attentions from the Prince and to only be a character with a quick quip is not enough - Maggie Smith's leaving appears to be nicely timed.

Lady Mary getting married does seem like it should be in her future and I think this 3rd cousin or whatever he is that is the agent they invited to the shooting party that paired up with Edith will marry Edith. Will she ever tell him the truth or how will she tell him about her daughter. Oh and I do like the idea of Tom being coxed back - that will be interesting to see because whatever his venture in America, it and he will be hit by the crash of '29. Coming back, he is young enough that he could be among the older recruits for some service job after Chamberlain's mis-calculation.  

Well we can spin all sorts of possibilities can't we and that was the brilliance of this series - but to have to wait just shy a whole year - oh oh oh - because I sure do not care enough about the other series except maybe the Halifax one - with Alan and Celia and their daughter's messy lives.  

mabel1015j

« Reply #147 on: March 03, 2015, 02:43:44 PM »
When Lord G had his potential heart problems, i was wondering to whom the estate goes if he died? Can Tom inherit? Can Mary inherit? Is this distant cousin going to hop in as Mary's husband did? Of course, in the States we would assume it would go to Cora, but is she capable, and is she eligible under estate law at the time? And won't Mary throw a fit?

Jean

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #148 on: March 03, 2015, 05:07:35 PM »
Mary being Matthew's widow may put her in top position now.

Poppaea

« Reply #149 on: March 03, 2015, 05:26:04 PM »
I think Mary and Matthew's son is the heir and while he is growing up still probably Mary will act for him.

MaryPage

« Reply #150 on: March 03, 2015, 10:03:56 PM »
Jean, one of the major story lines from season one episode one on has been the fact that Downton Abbey is one of those many aristocratic British estates that is entailed.  No daughter can inherit.  Ever.  Remember, the heir, a male cousin of this earl's, went down on the  Titanic?  Then they discovered the next closest candidate to the title and the estate was an even more distant male cousin, Matthew Crowley?  Well, yes , Matthew's little son is the future Earl Grantham.  And only because Lady Mary married Matthew will this earl's grandson happen to inherit the estate.

Steph

« Reply #151 on: March 04, 2015, 08:37:44 AM »
Yes Marys time as queen of the estate is limited to George, When he reaches majority, she is gone.. but I suspect that has never occurred to her.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #152 on: March 04, 2015, 01:07:45 PM »
Probably no more gone than Lady Violet, Robert's mother.

mabel1015j

« Reply #153 on: March 04, 2015, 05:36:49 PM »
I understood that part of the story, but i'm not sure if those laws had/have changed? I assumed they hadn't changed at the time of the story, have they changed now? Surely not. Does anybody know?

Jean

CallieOK

« Reply #154 on: March 04, 2015, 08:06:02 PM »
I found this article about "Why Matthew Inherited Downton Abbey".   http://pintsofhistory.com/2013/02/28/the-entail-primogeniture-and-why-matthew-or-his-son-inherits-downton-abbey/

In case you don't want to read the whole thing,  toward the end it says that England changed the law regarding inheriting real estate in 1925. 

This season ended in 1924.    Hmmmmmmm.   ???

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #155 on: March 04, 2015, 08:22:21 PM »
well that much we can say for Julian Fellows he is current in his depiction of history - I guess the episodes dealing with WWI should have given us that clue... ;)

MaryPage

« Reply #156 on: March 04, 2015, 08:31:27 PM »
There are still, as I understand it from what I have read on the subject, very few titles which can be passed to women.

The Prince of Wales, and one assumes the future King Charles, had a favorite cousin, Lord Mountbatten, who fiercely favored leaving titles to daughters.  He had no sons (albeit his nephew, Prince Philip of Greece and now the Duke of Edinburgh and father of said Prince Charles was like a son to him) and managed to get a law passed so that he could leave his title of Baron Mountbatten to the elder of those two daughters.  So it is that we have:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patricia_Knatchbull,_2nd_Countess_Mountbatten_of_Burma

Steph

« Reply #157 on: March 05, 2015, 08:55:17 AM »
Lord Mountbatten, loved by all of the royal family and murdered by Irish.. Interesting man, he set up Philip for Elizabeth..Some of the Dukedoms can only be inherited by males,, but the money can go to whever they want.

salan

« Reply #158 on: March 28, 2015, 11:48:12 AM »
Yea!  Call the Midwife will be on tomorrow.  About time...I am really tired of PBS pledge drives.  It seems like they have more & more of them and they last for a month.  I contribute to PBS; but I think they have too many pledge drives!
Sally

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #159 on: March 28, 2015, 12:41:59 PM »
Maybe why some of the series are 7 weeks long so they can have one repeat and after every two months a month of pledge drive programs because they do seem to have them 4 times a year.