Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece 2015 ~ Downton Abbey and Other PBS Programs  (Read 103569 times)

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
Re: PBS Masterpiece 2015 ~ Mr. Selfridge and Other PBS Programs
« Reply #160 on: March 28, 2015, 09:47:07 PM »

See the 2015 MASTERPIECE schedule.  

NOW DISCUSSING

Let's talk about PBS programs that we enjoy.

Mr. Selfridge, Season 3

Watch the current season March 29 - May 17, 2015.

All sales are final as Harry Selfridge gambles his store, his fortune, and his personal happiness on an audacious retail strategy in Mr. Selfridge, Season 3.

Wolf Hall

Wolf Hall, a six-hour miniseries adapted from Hilary Mantel’s best-selling Booker Prize-winning novels: Wolf Hall and its sequel, Bring Up the Bodies, airs on Sundays, April 5 to May 10, 2015 at 10pm. Wolf Hall stars Emmy and Golden Globe Award-winner Damian Lewis (Homeland) and Tony Award-winner Mark Rylance (Twelfth Night) and shines a spotlight on Thomas Cromwell's involvement in King Henry VIII's marriage to and divorce from Anne Boleyn. See http://www.pbs.org/wolfhall and http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/programs/wolf-hall/

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP and marcie

I got an email from PBS that Series 6 of Downton Abbey will be the last.  It will start showing in the U.S. in Jan. 2016.
FlaJean

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
Re: PBS Masterpiece 2015 ~ Downton Abbey and Other PBS Programs
« Reply #161 on: March 29, 2015, 12:20:38 AM »
Yes, I have been hearing that - it comes on the heals of Maggie Smith saying this was going to be her last year - that may have been a factor but I think the new age, preparing for WWII would not allow as much of the love dynamics between Mary and whom ever and the house would be going through the major changes that the '29 crash brought on that included taxing these great houses and that would be a whole other story wouldn't it.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #162 on: March 29, 2015, 10:13:24 AM »
Julian Fellowes (writer of Downton Abbey) is reportedly moving to New York to write a new series for NBC called The Gilded Age about the late 19th century period (the Vanderbilts, etc.)

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #163 on: March 29, 2015, 01:54:57 PM »
Sounds like he is moving into Edith Wharton territory - her book was a lush move - "The Age of Innocence"
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

MaryPage

« Reply #164 on: March 29, 2015, 10:50:20 PM »
Have you realized yet that the Judy Parfitt who plays Mildred Layton, Sarah's and Susan's mother in The Jewel In The Crown, is the same actress who plays the going senile sister in Call The Midwives?  Oh, what a difference the years make of all of us!

Steph

« Reply #165 on: March 30, 2015, 09:13:48 AM »
Oh me, another nurse, this one clumsy and at the beginning I was somewhat lost. Why did Chummy leave this time?? I knew Jenny lee was leaving, but what happened to the teeny nurse, Did they really say, she was at the mother house to become a nun??
Stephanie and assorted corgi

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #166 on: March 31, 2015, 11:28:17 AM »
I started to watch the new season of Mr. Selfridge on Sunday evening but I had to turn it off after awhile. Most of the main characters seemed to be facing personal/professional "danger" in a way that made me dread watching the show. What do you think?

MaryPage

« Reply #167 on: March 31, 2015, 11:53:45 AM »
Marcie, I felt EXACTLY the same way!  I loved, at first, seeing everyone again, with the war ended and all.  I felt sorry for those who had lost their loved ones.  But it soon, very soon, stopped being fun, and I began to feel as though I were on The Titanic.  I opted to turn off my TV and go brush my teeth and prepare for bed and then settle down quietly with my book for a while.

Steph

« Reply #168 on: April 01, 2015, 08:50:38 AM »
Goodness I need to check out Mr. Selfridge.

CallieOK

« Reply #169 on: April 01, 2015, 10:20:42 PM »
I just finished watching  "Mr. Selfridge" and thought it was typical of season openers that race through various plot lines being set up.

I think it will be an interesting season.

Steph

« Reply #170 on: April 02, 2015, 08:47:45 AM »
Maybe I will look at Netflix and see what they have to catch up on the show.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #171 on: April 02, 2015, 11:52:11 AM »
Callie, maybe I'll try Selfridge again but that first episode made me very anxious; "dread" is really the right word. :-(

CallieOK

« Reply #172 on: April 02, 2015, 03:15:51 PM »
Marcie, what was there about the first episode that gave you a feeling of "dread"?

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #173 on: April 02, 2015, 03:25:54 PM »
Mr Selfridge in real life had a high stakes life and the series is doing their best to bring that emotion to the viewer so that those of us who live a calmer, more nurturing life feel the anxiety that is so normal that without it, a person living life as Mr. Selfridge or anyone who, like him, does not have a dependable non-creative life cannot function. They feel as if something is wrong if they found themselves without the kind of risk adrenaline that we see as tummy churning.

Selfridge was the one of the first department stores and set the standard more than BonMarche in Paris which was the first - every department, every day of the year was prepared, both staff and decor like putting on Christmas morning to excite and bring wonder to the eyes of adults, not children and to assemble a staff that would do that and another level of staff to oversee staff to assure those ends. With Selfridge, like so many men who have a knack for achieving great things by combining the energies of others are often sexually permissive and he had that high risk game in his life as well even though he truly loves his wife and children. This man is an adrenaline machine walking.

And now this season's series he is accumulating groups of so far 12 small department stores in Ireland and Scotland that he expects to make profitable with the same magic he created in London. And so to get the story across every small detail must be filled with tight rope walking, unexpected danger for us to feel the high stakes that this man's life is all about.

CallieOK

« Reply #174 on: April 02, 2015, 06:01:28 PM »
That's what I think, too, Barb.   I also see plot lines developing about the experiences of WWI veterans returning home long before there was any notice taken of the issues they may have brought with them.

I've forgotten.  Did Lord Coxley's wife, with whom Mr. S. had a fling, "disappear" at the end of last season?

Steph

« Reply #175 on: April 03, 2015, 08:15:56 AM »
Call the Midwife is back, thank heaven,and I am keeping track of what is happening. But I do miss the small midwife"Cynthia"??

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #176 on: April 03, 2015, 11:51:51 AM »
Callie, re the reasons for the dread I felt watching the first episode of Mr. Selfridge this season are mostly that Selfridge seems to be spiraling downward. Here are some specifics (SPOILER ALERT):
-- That awful Lord Loxley is back and out to "take from Selfridge" what he blames on Selfridge taking from him. He blames his wife's leaving him on Selfridge, although Loxley was mentally and physically abusive to her.
-- Selfridge is not listening to anyone about the financial risks he is taking and his not paying attention to his investments in his main store or other stores he has since developed. I know in "real life" that he suffered financial ruin. I had thought that maybe the series would end before that happened.
-- Selfrige's oldest daughter marries a man who is using her to get Selfridge to invest in an airplane is wants to design (a man who flirts with other women during their wedding reception and who meets with Loxley--as a potential investor -- when he is supposed to be waiting for his wife to have breakfast with her the night after their wedding).
-- The groom's mother thought that she would move in with her son and new bride but Selfridge (thankfully) is trying to keep better watch on the groom and his daughter by inviting them to live with him for awhile. The grooms mother (who it now appears to the audience to have no money) books into an expensive hotel and tells them to charge it to Selfridge's account.
-- Victor comes home from the war "shell-shocked." He doesn't tell Agnes about it and the awful hallucinations he is experiencing. They get married but I don't think that things bode well for them.

The way that all of these events take place created -- for me -- an awful feeling of doom for everyone. I may just have been in a weird mood to have the episode affect me that way. Barbara, you may be right about Selfridge's high stakes life. The previous seasons seemed to show that -- even the way he hurt his wife with his affairs -- without making everything seem hopeless to me.

marcie

• Administrator
Re: PBS Masterpiece 2015 ~ Mr. Selfridge, Wolf Hall and Other PBS Programs
« Reply #177 on: April 03, 2015, 11:57:04 AM »
MASTERPIECE on PBS will air a six-hour miniseries adapted from Hilary Mantel’s best-selling Booker Prize-winning novels: Wolf Hall and its sequel, Bring Up the Bodies.  Wolf Hall will be airing on Sundays, April 5 to May 10, 2015 at 10pm ET on PBS. Wolf Hall stars Emmy and Golden Globe Award-winner Damian Lewis (Homeland) and Tony Award-winner Mark Rylance (Twelfth Night) and shines a spotlight on Thomas Cromwell's involvement in King Henry VIII's marriage to and divorce from Anne Boleyn. See http://www.pbs.org/wolfhall and http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/programs/wolf-hall/

We have just heard from the Masterpiece people at PBS that they have ONE set of the Hilary Mantel books available. Are any of you interested in receiving those books? You could read them while watching the series. Since the series is based on both large books, I'm sure that the television producers had to make lots of changes in their adaptation. Post a message here if you are interested in the books. Since there is only one set, the first person to post a request will receive them.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #178 on: April 03, 2015, 12:29:32 PM »
Oh my I would like the set but feel funny with there being only one set - I understand the 'tomes' are thick with pages so that it would probably take longer to read both than the 6 weeks but it would be a treat to see how closely the series keeps to the books.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #179 on: April 03, 2015, 12:39:59 PM »
Barbara, the books are YOURS! I'm glad that you are interested in the books and the series.

CallieOK

« Reply #180 on: April 03, 2015, 02:42:33 PM »
Marcie,  I think we looked at those situations in different ways.  I saw each of them as a separate plot line to be developed as the series progresses.  I suspect some of them will end sadly - but I'm looking forward to seeing how each one is resolved.

Did you notice any similarities to some of the story lines of "Downton Abbey"?   I certainly did!

MaryPage

« Reply #181 on: April 03, 2015, 04:25:41 PM »
Felt as Marcie does, and found Selfridge quite a downer and plan to watch it no more.

Have preordered the Wolf Hall DVD from Barnes & Noble, so I may or may not watch it on PBS, depending upon what the TV schedule is on the days it is to be shown.  B&N will mail out the DVDs on May 12th.  I often preorder from them to make sure I get something I want as soon as it is available;  thus I am expecting Big Eyes in DVD to be sent out on April 14th and The Plantagenets in DVD on May 19th and Harper Lee's new book will be sent out on July 14th.  A wonderful system.  Right now I am watching Seasons 1 through 4 of VERA with Brenda Blethyn (do you recall the younger Blethyn in Saving Grace?), and I have The Imitation Game, which came 2 days or more ago, waiting to be watched.  I have a humongous DVD collection, but I only buy what I really want and it is lovely to have them on hand to watch whenever it pleases me and to loan out to family.

CallieOK

« Reply #182 on: April 03, 2015, 06:18:31 PM »
MaryPage,  don't you think the young woman who brought him the plans for the housing development (which reminded him of one his wife had designed in the USA) just might catch his attention by the end of the season?   I know the Board voted him down for funding - but my bet is that, because he wants to build it as a memorial to his wife, his competitive spirit will return ere long - and she will help him with that.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #183 on: April 03, 2015, 11:39:33 PM »
Callie, yes, I think they are separate plot lines. Somehow they got to be too much for me in that first episode. And yes, I got confused for a minute about the "prince" that Selfridge's daughter marries. Rosie in Downton Abbey marries a prince too!

MaryPage, it sounds like you have a wonderful DVD collection. Do you have places to organize them all or do you have to resort to boxing some?

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #184 on: April 04, 2015, 12:02:51 AM »
Wow Oh my thank you - wow -  :-*  8)  :)

MaryPage

« Reply #185 on: April 04, 2015, 07:55:14 AM »
Marcie, I have one sizable bookcase just for DVDs, and every now and again I give a bunch away.  Just two weeks ago I made up a large shopping bag full of children's and travel ones and took over to the Shore for the use of 3 of my great grandchildren (and if they wish, their parents) and their collection.  I came to realize I will probably not watch Eloise at the Plaza or Matilda (etc.) yet again, and I want pass on the pleasure.  Also, the collection of The Grand Canyon and Yellowstone and Zion and on and on will teach them.  I am told that Will, age six, loved seeing the Grand Canyon, but was confused by watching a "movie" that did not talk all the time.  He was complaining that he could not hear the words until they explained that there actually are long gaps of silence as the camera pans over the wonders!

Steph

« Reply #186 on: April 04, 2015, 08:49:21 AM »
Ah I felt that way in Yellowstone when I first saw the mud pots and the gorgeous colors.No words at all.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #187 on: April 04, 2015, 11:33:00 AM »
Thanks for the information, MaryPage. That's a cute story about your grandson wondering about the lack of soundtrack. I'm sure that your family will receive lots of pleasure and knowledge from the dvds you gave them.

Steph

« Reply #188 on: April 05, 2015, 09:04:56 AM »
I don't keep many DVD's. but mostly do Netflix..The ones I do buy I donate to our library, since the county commissioners who are way weird have decreed that our libraries may not spend any money on DVD's.. So our Friends buy some and we all donate any that we have bought ourselves. Our commissioners are beyond strange.

MaryPage

« Reply #189 on: April 06, 2015, 07:33:26 AM »
Loved Call The  Midwive  and Wolf Hall last night!  Oh, such a rich evening of television!

Steph

« Reply #190 on: April 06, 2015, 08:41:09 AM »
Loved Call the Midwife, but simply could not stay up long enough for Wolf Hall. Will have to Netflix it or ask for it for my birthday or some such. My sons love buying me books and dvd's..

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #191 on: April 06, 2015, 09:43:02 AM »
Steph - do you think the entire Wolf Hall series will be broadcast at such a late hour?  Here in the DC area, it will be shown again at  5pm this evening -   That's more like it!  I can see what I snoozed through.

I came in to thank the PBS education people for directing our attention to Hilary Mantel's books and making them available to our readers here.  I'm always interested in comparing authors' works with  PBS adaptations.  Mary Page, have you read Wolf Hall?  I hope those who have read it will post your thoughts!

There was an interesting article on Mantel's fiction in yesterday's Washington Post.  Here's an excerpt that may be of interest to those who are uncomfortable with historical fiction...an excerpt, followed by a link to the entire article..

From an interview with Hilary Mantel published in Washington Post this past weekend:

Q: Your depiction goes against the prevalent image of Cromwell as a ruthless despot. Is he your fictional character or a reinterpretation of history?
A: Well, it's not simply my reinterpretation. There is a divide between academic history and popular history. Cromwell's role was explored intensively by academic historians, but people's imaginations are not shaped by scholars; they're shaped by popular historians and fiction writers. And of course, Thomas Cromwell had really fallen victim to Robert Bolt and "A Man for All Seasons," and we see him emerge in a very bad light. Even though I would say there can be other ways of thinking, my interpretations are valid; they're not plucked out of the air. It's not that I was looking for a hero. I was looking to explore a very complex man who was flawed and equivocal and ambiguous, and I'm not big on judging my characters. I want to understand them.

Read more at http://www.arcamax.com/entertainment/bookreviews/s-1635829#tGJVpXK7R7t02Bf7.99

serenesheila

« Reply #192 on: April 06, 2015, 12:51:08 PM »
Joan P., I just learned yesterday that I will soon be moving to D.C. my daughter  in law , got  a promotion, but move to D.C. and they will take me with them.  I plan tolive inan assisted living facility.  Do you have any suggestions for me?

Thanks, Sheila

MaryPage

« Reply #193 on: April 06, 2015, 03:29:45 PM »
If you have any family military connections, KNOLLWOOD down in Rock Creek Park is most excellent.  Pardon me for responding, Joan, but since I live in the area as well and all, I just could not resist.

MaryPage

« Reply #194 on: April 06, 2015, 03:49:29 PM »
The history we "hear" and the history we are taught often come from tradition, which can be horribly skewed, and or the propaganda stories as told by those in power.  Over and over and over again throughout the history of mankind the stories told around the fireplaces and later written down, after writing was invented, were the versions of the storytellers themselves, and none to be the wiser.  It is, however, well known that The Tudors did not tolerate anyone publishing anything not favorable to their version of the facts, and they really had to cover up an awful lot of illegal wheeling and dealing, not to mention slandering, thieving and murdering!  So it could well be publish AND perish, back in the day!  And tyrants love nothing so much as a scapegoat!  Off with his head, and whoops, forget HIM!
For example, suppose those who fervently believe some of the total lies told in blatant disregard of the facts in our times came to be in charge of our main textbook publishers. There would be whole chapters on how a Muslim born in Kenya cheated and stole his way, from infancy mind, into the presidency, including the conspiracy to publish his birth in local Hawaiian newpapers at the time!  Wow!  What a conspiracy to be a part of for more than half a century until you get that baby taking the oath of office!  But the thing is, approximately 33% of our citizens BELIEVE this.  So you can still sell just one whole heck of a lot of snake oil!
Our historians have much more accurate methods through records people actually kept in their homes, businesses, estates, libraries, attics, trunks, government and business archives, etc., to get to the truthful nitty gritty of it all.  Thus so called revisionist history is quite frequently much closer to what the reality was.
Remember this about Thomas Cromwell:  they were very swift to CUT HIS HEAD OFF.  No feedback from HIM!

Steph

« Reply #195 on: April 07, 2015, 08:48:36 AM »
So far the local station is only showing it on Sunday at 10pm.. But sometimes they rebroadcast stuff and when I move to North Carolina next month, they have two available PBS and maybe one of them will do this better.
I loved this weeks Call the Midwife, but I have to say, that this weeks pregnant lady was the largest I have ever seen. Twins or not. That was a huge lump they gave her.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #196 on: April 07, 2015, 09:34:37 AM »
The production of Wolf Hall is really wonderful, isn't it? It's so well filmed and so well acted that you almost don't care about the viewpoint. I found Mantel's quote there quite something, thank you for putting that in, Joan P: "Even though I would say there can be other ways of thinking, my interpretations are valid.."   hahaha

For some reason DISH network decided to change satellites and replace all our receivers and in so doing they added the famous DVR which we had not had and HD, and so it no longer matters when a program is on, we can see it any time. Further, it seeks out and records all new episodes of whatever it is so  you don't have to ever miss one. Amazing.

I sat down out of curiosity yesterday for about 10 minutes and was pretty much blown away by the acting, the sets, and the production values of Wolf Hall. Mark Rylance, a BIG deal in England apparently because in the year of the Olympics in Britain he had sold out the Globe in London for the Richard III performance which he had produced and directed, I think, and starred in and I got one of the few remaining seats and found out what all the fuss was about.

The end,  particularly, I've never seen anything like it.

Now here he is in this film with Jonathan Pryce!!! I knew the minute I heard that voice who that was, what a cast! And when the emissaries came from the King to Wolsey (is that his closet, it looks too big, the one at Hampton Court seemed more cramped [it could be just me, and maybe it's been altered by time],  but are they filming it there?) and the butcher's son and dog were dismissed out of hand...I actually gasped because one of them, if I heard his name right,  will be Bishop Gardiner.  What an end HE had, right after Latimer and Ridley's pitiful deaths.

At any rate, despite what liberties Mantel has or hasn't taken with history, the film production...at least the first 15 minutes of it I saw, (thankfully not beginning as the book Wolf Hall did) was mesmerizing.

serenesheila

« Reply #197 on: April 07, 2015, 01:03:02 PM »
Thanks, Mary Page.  My late husband was career Air Force.  So. I will look into your suggestion.

MaryPage

« Reply #198 on: April 07, 2015, 02:32:41 PM »
Oh, Sheila, DO look into it!  I have had 3 relatives there in the past, back when it was called the Army Distaff Hall, and they loved it: my stepmother and 2 aunts.  Lots of their friends were there, too.  It is a lovely place in a Gorgeous setting not too far from Chevy Chase Circle.  They changed the name when they started taking men.
I believe both the Air Force and the Navy have retirement halls with assisted living and transportation to Walter Reed, etc., in Virginia just outside D.C.  Knollwood is just barely inside D.C. On the Maryland side.
Anyway, check it out.  And do let us know where you wind up.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #199 on: April 07, 2015, 04:50:18 PM »
Agree Ginny - Masterpiece keeps outdoing itself - I did not realize that Cromwell lost his wife and two daughters when the daughter's were so young - that would be enough to turn any man into a major focus on his work with the need to bury himself among those he could serve while gaining more power for himself.

I often wonder and have never read how these very smart men during this time in history were educated - I know those a part of the church had a monastery where education is the feature but someone like Cromwell - he is a lawyer - how does that happen?